PDA

View Full Version : Bring Portis back already!

Denvernut707
10-25-2011, 10:59 PM
With Willis down what are we waiting for on bringing back port? Agree he isn't what he was but still an upgrade over Moreno right now

Lancane
10-25-2011, 11:00 PM
With Willis down what are we waiting for on bringing back port? Agree he isn't what he was but still an upgrade over Moreno right now

Now this is one newbie post that I stand firmly behind!

Good Post, D'Nut, and welcome to the boards! :beer:

dogfish
10-25-2011, 11:08 PM
wooooo yeeeaaahhhh!!111!!

Northman
10-25-2011, 11:09 PM
Portis is beyond done.

Thnikkaman
10-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Hell to the No. Its time for Lance Ball to shine.

Thnikkaman
10-25-2011, 11:13 PM
WTFewdpGUAE

dogfish
10-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Hell to the No. Its time for Lance Ball to shine.

i agree. . . lance ball needs to go get his shinebox. . .

dogfish
10-25-2011, 11:15 PM
bring up jeremiah johnson. . .

BroncoStud
10-25-2011, 11:15 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/75095/portis-belt.jpg

Never will forget the Denver/KC "Championship Belt" game. :laugh:

Thnikkaman
10-25-2011, 11:17 PM
nIGPkeq9UZQ

DenBronx
10-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Lance Ball?

Um, no.

Thnikkaman
10-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Lance Ball?

Um, no.

Over Portis, yes. I like Portis, and I thought that we should have picked him up after hearing him on Rome. But I'm also a big fan of Lance. He'll have 100 yards on Sunday.

Northman
10-25-2011, 11:24 PM
I think Ball would be ok. He would certainly be quicker than Portis at this stage.

DenBronx
10-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Over Portis, yes. I like Portis, and I thought that we should have picked him up after hearing him on Rome. But I'm also a big fan of Lance. He'll have 100 yards on Sunday.

If Ball gets 100+ yards on Sunday then I will jump on the banwagon.

But, I doubt it.

And to think we could have got Sproles.

Lancane
10-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Ball meet Suh, ball no more! :lol:

DenBronx
10-25-2011, 11:32 PM
I think Ball would be ok. He would certainly be quicker than Portis at this stage.

It's not really speed that's working for McGahee this year. It's his power and hitting the holes at the right times. Moreno is faster but he dances and goes down on contact. I would rather us have a guy like Hillis over a guy like Ball or Moreno.

Northman
10-25-2011, 11:42 PM
It's not really speed that's working for McGahee this year. It's his power and hitting the holes at the right times. Moreno is faster but he dances and goes down on contact. I would rather us have a guy like Hillis over a guy like Ball or Moreno.

Yea, i realize that. However, Portis is washed up from all the physicality from being in Wash so he's neither good there nor when he was here with his speed. Moreno isnt all that fast so i would either throw him in McGahee's spot for now and use ball as a switch up. Or, just go with Ball and Johnson (which i would prefer).

I just now noticed i made a sexual reference with ball and johnson. :lol:

jhildebrand
10-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Portis HATES this town.

Let a sleeping dog lie.

DenBronx
10-25-2011, 11:52 PM
It's like a never ending curse with our RBs every year. No one can seem to stay healthy.....ever!

If Chicago doesnt pay Matt Forte then I hope the Broncos jump in the bidding war to get him because he IS the offense in Chi-town right now. Would be an excellent back here in Denver.

DenBronx
10-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Portis HATES this town.

Let a sleeping dog lie.

Yeah Portis wheels have fallen off. He used to be a quad but now he's just an old rusted up tricycle.

CrazyHorse
10-26-2011, 12:13 AM
I'd still like to see what LenDale White can do if he is ever able to fully recover from his achilles tear. At 26 he still has potential years left.

G_Money
10-26-2011, 12:21 AM
It's like a never ending curse with our RBs every year. No one can seem to stay healthy.....ever!

If Chicago doesnt pay Matt Forte then I hope the Broncos jump in the bidding war to get him because he IS the offense in Chi-town right now. Would be an excellent back here in Denver.

Ahh, memories. I remember wanting Forte, Woodyard and Jordy Nelson in the draft that year. (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113847&postcount=1) I was a HUGE believer in Forte. The Bears kinda pissed me off by ALSO being huge believers in him :lol: - I was hoping for Forte in a later round, or possibly Tashard Choice who I was hoping would fall due to injury.

I still wouldn't mind Choice, who is on the outs in Dallas and is a FA too. He'd do a great job of replacing No Show in the occasional weapon dept and as a 2nd back to spell our starter.

I can't see us paying Forte. I would love a workhorse back who can catch the ball, pass-block correctly and carry the load as often as you ask - I just don't think it'll be Forte.

~G

TXBRONC
10-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Portis wouldn't be any help to us because he's got nothing left in the tank.

MileHighCrew
10-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Ready to pull out my Portis jersey!!

UnderArmour
10-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Wow we already made it to page 2 without mentioning Tim Tebow. Good job guys...

But it's really hard to leave out the fact that Tim Tebow's leadership will instantly revive Clinton Portis's career if we signed him. Clinton Portis would instantly elevate his game back up to all pro level. The intangibles of Tim Tebow cannot be understated before we sign a player.

We won't need him though because Tim Tebow's intangibles have already reached our current running backs. Knowshon Moreno will have a career game against the Lions and reclaim his starting job going forward en route to a Broncos victory. Knowshon will have at least 130 all purpose yards on Sunday and make the Detroit Lions defense look like a practice squad. It's definitely going to be a spectacle. We could go sign Ron Dayne and he'd look like he was at Wisconsin under Tim Tebow's leadership.

On a serious note, mobile QBs lead to higher running back production. See: Michael Vick's running mates. Chris Johnson's production with VY. Donovan McNabb in his day with Westbrook, etc. As long as the player we put back there can find a hole and hit it with some acceleration, we're fine. Unfortunately for the old backs such as Portis, Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, and others I don't think they have any acceleration left. NFL Scouts appear to feel the same way about Tiki. Once a back loses that burst, their career is over with exception to power and 3rd down backs.

FanInAZ
10-26-2011, 07:39 AM
The good news: Portis has rushed the ball 178 times for 721 yards, 4.1 yards per carry & 3 TDs. He's also caught 14 passes for 112 yards, 8.0 yards per reception & 1 TD

The bad news: That's his 13 game total over the 2 previous seasons in which he missed 19 (59%) of the Redskins games.

The only way I bring back Portis is if our medical staff is bored and needs someone to work on.

smageneration
10-26-2011, 07:41 AM
More like bring back Shanahan's zone blocking schemes. You could put any D-2 back behind those lines and he'd be guaranteed a 1000+ yard season

UnderArmour
10-26-2011, 08:03 AM
More like bring back Shanahan's zone blocking schemes. You could put any D-2 back behind those lines and he'd be guaranteed a 1000+ yard season

Fox runs a zone blocking scheme very similar Shanahan's. Carolina's running game pre-Williams and pre-Stewart was still pretty good even when they were forced to go with their 3rd string back for awhile. At least until they faced Chicago in the playoffs, then they got stuffed hard.

Mike
10-26-2011, 08:14 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/75095/portis-belt.jpg

Never will forget the Denver/KC "Championship Belt" game. :laugh:

I was at that game...and had him on my FF team. It was awesome to behold. :beer:

Loved Portis, but he is done. I want to see Jeremiah Johnson get a shot.

Thnikkaman
10-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm not worried about Nathan. Detroit has allowed over 100 yards rushing in every game except against Tampa. If we get Portis, we better invest in a Segway as well since that's the only way he's going to be mobile on a football field.

pipes
10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
The Broncos did work out Tyrell Sutton (who played for Fox) and some other runningback.....

BroncoJoe
10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Nah. Let's look up Tatum Bell.

tomjonesrocks
10-26-2011, 10:10 AM
If Shanny couldn't get anything out of Portis--yep, he's done.

Amazing how running backs just wake up one day washed up.

vandammage13
10-26-2011, 10:16 AM
While were on the topic of aging runningbacks, does anyone think Tiki Barber might at least be worth a tryout?

slim
10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I am with Tinker.

It's Lance Ball time.

Ravage!!!
10-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Portis? Portis is lucky to jog to the bathroom without getting hurt. No to Portis, the guy is finished.

Ravage!!!
10-26-2011, 10:19 AM
While were on the topic of aging runningbacks, does anyone think Tiki Barber might at least be worth a tryout?

No...

dogfish
10-26-2011, 12:37 PM
The Broncos did work out Tyrell Sutton (who played for Fox) and some other runningback.....

cool. . . i thought we'd sign him in free agency-- i'm surprised he's stillavailable. . .

FlyByU
10-26-2011, 12:44 PM
bring up jeremiah johnson. . .

Hell yeah Jeremiah "Mountain Man" Johnson I liked his running a lot lets see what he can do.

vandammage13
10-26-2011, 01:08 PM
No...

Wow...not even worth the price of a flight and hotel...Pretty sad for Tiki.

Dreadnought
10-26-2011, 01:15 PM

I was thinking the very same thing, Joe. I'm only half joking, too. McDaniels wouldn't give Bell a shot, but virtually everything McDaniels did eventually proved to be wrong. Ergo, call Tatum Bell. He not that old after all...though I'd wager he's pretty far from football shape :D

tomjonesrocks
10-26-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm amazed considering what Fox wants to do offensively this team didn't do more at this position in the offseason.

McGahee has far exceeded my expectations so props to them for recognizing he had a little more left in the tank--but for him to be the best we could do at the position in the offseason was really weak. Not as bad as what they did for DT -- but almost as bad.

Guess it's hard to address things when the entire roster is full of huge, gaping holes--but this is one thing I would have thought Fox would have better addressed already.

Magnificent Seven
10-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Get Portis & Hillis back. It would be nice to have them back on team.

MileHighCrew
10-26-2011, 04:03 PM

no doubt i need a new iphone

Lancane
10-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Portis? Portis is lucky to jog to the bathroom without getting hurt. No to Portis, the guy is finished.

So he'll look like Moreno?

:hahaha:

Jsteve01
10-26-2011, 06:36 PM
better call Lendale back and say we're sorry. I agree with crazy horse. much rather have White than Portis

Locnar
10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
If this were 4 years ago I would be all for it..

getlynched47
10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Lol.

And you thought Knowshon was slow and couldn't break a tackle.....