PDA

View Full Version : On now 104.3 the fan leading up to press conference

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Denver columnist are on talking about the firing leading up to the press conference!

G_Money
12-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Somebody had better be a fast, accurate typer for those of us who are working stiffs and can't watch. :tsk:

~G

NightTrainLayne
12-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Somebody had better be a fast, accurate typer for those of us who are working stiffs and can't watch. :tsk:

~G

. .. and well outside the denver Broadcast area.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
http://radiotime.com/station/s_33298/The_Fan_1043.aspx
here the link, for those who can listen on line, just click listen on that page, these guys are still talking about slowik was the end all of the firing!

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:10 PM
guys also keep bringing up elway as a vp, or gm, makes everything pretty interesting!

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:11 PM
also heard rumors pioli, nolan and harbough are coming for interviews. kinda makes sense especially the nolan part for defense, harbough for hc!

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:12 PM
cowher, 10 million a yr is the asking price, wow doubt that happens!

UnderArmour
12-31-2008, 12:13 PM
What time is the conference?

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:14 PM
jeremy bates is staying according to these guys!

Northman
This is the ESPN Radio link. It may broadcast the News Conference when it comes on. Dont know for sure. Right now its Cowherd.

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player

broken12
11 am mountain time!

underrated29
keep it up broken. THanks!

I cant listen to it at work, but i can multi task and read your posts.

Thanks again for doing this.

CrazyHorse
12-31-2008, 12:15 PM
also heard rumors pioli, nolan and harbough are coming for interviews. kinda makes sense especially the nolan part for defense, harbough for hc!

If we get Mike Nolan will he bring Mike Martz with him? :D

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:15 PM
thnk my link is the best for it, its a local denver station. hmmm they talking more about elway than shannahan!

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 12:16 PM
you rock broken, I'm firewalled here and hanging on every post

Den21vsBal19
Seem to be saying that Elway's a shoe-in for GM :eek:

Dirk
IMO no Elway and no Cowher.

I'm not sure Elway would be good in that capacity. As for Cowher, I think he would not be good for Cutler. But, what do I know? ha! If I knew more I would apply for the job!

Northman
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Yea, it would be kind of tough if Elway fails at that position.

G_Money
12-31-2008, 12:17 PM
You would think Bowlen would have to have a pretty good idea of what he wants – and what he can get - before he fires Shanahan.

You don’t just fire the best coach in team history for mediocrity unless you have some reasonable expectation of significant improvement, right?

This is the best job in the league. You’d have to think he had his names lined up in advance, though he must not have called any of them because NOTHING leaked out about Shanahan getting fired.

Still, Bowlen should be able to move fast on this and have his pick of whatever front office and coaching talent he wants.

I hope to see decisive action, and not some weird, floundering search. We'll see what he says today.

~G

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:18 PM
these guys just wont let go the possibility that elway is the man for gm, he always wanted to be part of the org, and in good contact with bowlen.

Medford Bronco
12-31-2008, 12:18 PM

Harbaugh :confused: isnt he the coach for Baltmore already
it is it Jim Harbaugh the formber QB for the Colts:confused:

I like Pioli and Nolan tandem. We need a real player personel guy and Pioli
has done a great job in NE. Nolan for DC is not bad

broncophan
12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
IMO no Elway and no Cowher.

I'm not sure Elway would be good in that capacity. As for Cowher, I think he would not be good for Cutler. But, what do I know? ha! If I knew more I would apply for the job!

Yea......I think Cutler may cry the first time Cowher gets pissed at him and gives him his famous look with the chin.....

Northman
12-31-2008, 12:20 PM

Might be his brother Jim or the other one.

broncofaninfla
Honetsly as much as some people are dismissing it I think Elway is seriously being considered at GM. He has the business background and the repsct of the orginaztion not to mention a business relationship with Bowlen.

broken12
Also these guys are saying that its gotta be a defensive guru for hc, the only way it makes sence, but according to them bates will stay whick i think he should try and keep many of the offensive staff!

broken12
harbough the brother jim hc of stanford eagles is who is to come and interview

Medford Bronco
12-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Yea......I think Cutler may cry the first time Cowher gets pissed at him and gives him his famous look with the chin.....

I agreed to disagree. I think Cowher did a great job with Ben and he might get Cutler to actually grow up and learn to not take so many chances because of his talent. Be smarter. Also our defense would improve by leaps and bounds and that is the main problem with this team.

Cowher with a good QB coach and OC would not be bad IMO

Den21vsBal19

Strange how we remember people.............I always think of the Bears when Jim Harbaugh's mentioned :laugh:

Northman
Cowherd is saying that Cowher may consider Denver since the job opened up.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
there also saying that since these teams atlanta, miami and others who turned it around after only one year that its time!

Nick

Those are all solid canidates and like all of them.

broncofaninfla
It's wierd that they mention HC's that are lined up to interview with no GM in place.

Den21vsBal19
Honetsly as much as some people are dismissing it I think Elway is seriously being considered at GM. He has the business background and the repsct of the orginaztion not to mention a business relationship with Bowlen.
I think that the Crush was supposed to be part of his education towards a senior position in Denver

broncophan
12-31-2008, 12:23 PM
I agreed to disagree. I think Cowher did a great job with Ben and he might get Cutler to actually grow up and learn to not take so many chances because of his talent. Be smarter. Also our defense would improve by leaps and bounds and that is the main problem with this team.

Cowher with a good QB coach and OC would not be bad IMO

I know.....I was just kidding........

I would love to see Cowher come here.........alot of money though

Northman
Strange how we remember people.............I always think of the Bears when Jim Harbaugh's mentioned :laugh:

And Ditka yelling at him for calling his own plays. :lol:

Medford Bronco

lol I remember Jim getting a mediocre Colts team to the AFC Champ game in 95 and almost beating Cowher and Pitt when a hail mary fell short

broken12
if the team can bring in a good defensive mind and proven defensive scheme that this team becomes a playoff team, but that they need some defensive talent as well

G_Money
The smartest thing I think we could do would be to get a motivational defensive-minded coach who is willing to keep whatever parts of our offense he can, while revamping the defense entirely.

We have lacked leadership for several years, and without the players here to lead themselves we’ll need a coach who can give great speeches and fire up the troops. A break from the cerebral Shanahan.

And we need somebody who can get every bit out of the defense that he can.

Crossing my fingers….now.

~G

Northman
12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
if the team can bring in a good defensive mind and proven defensive scheme that this team becomes a playoff team, but that they need some defensive talent as well

Thank you Capt. Obvious.

Medford Bronco
12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
The smartest thing I think we could do would be to get a motivational defensive-minded coach who is willing to keep whatever parts of our offense he can, while revamping the defense entirely.

We have lacked leadership for several years, and without the players here to lead themselves we’ll need a coach who can give great speeches and fire up the troops. A break from the cerebral Shanahan.

~G

Maybe get the Titans D coordiator Schwartz and have him bring Hayesworth (sp) with him. That would instantly upgrade that unit and maybe bring in Norm Chow for O coordinator with him?:confused:

Requiem / The Dagda
12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Boston College guy? Ron Brace and B.J. Raji. . . come on down.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:26 PM
yeah remember that too, rumor has it that pat bowlen had vince mcmahon sitting in at the meeting with shanny and did his your fired stint he does on wwe on him.

Mike
12-31-2008, 12:26 PM
They really won't let go of Elway. :tsk:

Does anyone think that he has the experience to be a GM?

broncophan
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM

I don't think Bowlen would "let" Elway fail....

Medford Bronco
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM

No would be a huge mistake IMO.

bring him in slowly into the front office and then groom him like my Huricanes have with Ron Francis (what hockey analogy. not the Miami Hurricanes lol) only the 5 fans of hockey will get this. btw Francis is like Elway to the Carollina Hurricanes easily

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
there also talking about how bowlen in essense wanted to take back the orginization back and he wanted to show he is the boss, maybe the last two years hanging around dallas owner rubbed off! shanny said that elway didnt wanna take the time to learn to be a coach or gm elway is the man i think!

Dortoh
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM

~G

Maybe the first time I've ever disagreed with you. I think in theory we are on the same page. Instead what I would do is bring in an offensive minded HC because this team has way too much offensive potential to let it wither under a defensive HC.

Then I bring in a proven DC and give him full authority to run the defense his way.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
i wouldnt mind ron rivera as head coach! be taking a guy from san diego and bring in a guy to build a defense!

claymore
12-31-2008, 12:31 PM

Hell no. On top of that, would he put in the hours? I can see him being a PR guy or some weird consultant thing to try and smooze people to come here but thats where it ends.

Superchop 7
12-31-2008, 12:31 PM

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

You gotta be f-n kidding me,

That would be a joke.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
kizzla, emensse respect for bowlen on the firing of shanny, says he could question the fact that he fired shanny but respects him for doing it, that it wasnt working anymore. kizzla on a elway suckfest to be vp and that bowlen really respects elway as a business man!

Mike
12-31-2008, 12:33 PM
I think it is Armstrong is the one pushing it. Which is kind of good, because he usually just throws stupid crap out there.

Nick
Boston College guy? Ron Brace and B.J. Raji. . . come on down.

Love to see them both as a bronco. More so B.J. but if we drafted somone diferent in first Brace would be a decent pick for a 2 gap DT in round 3 or 4.

broken12
others say no way elway not experienced for the job, to critical time for elway to learn on the job. slowik was the reason shanny got fired didnt wanto fire him!

Nick
12-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Jim Harbaugh should be a pretty good head coach in the NFL.

Dortoh
12-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Meh they are just throwing Elways name around for ratings and the ESPiN crowd

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:35 PM
i read somewere that bowlen was ready to bring in dungy when shanny was geting woed by florida in 2001.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:36 PM
maybe the goodmans stay to help elway and elway is the vp of football operations.

Pool
12-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Which black coach will they interview?

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:37 PM
23 minutes till presser.

Dortoh
12-31-2008, 12:37 PM

Bobby Turner

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
short list has tampa defensve backs coach, minnisota d coord, and ron rivera (not black but a minoraty)

claymore
12-31-2008, 12:38 PM

Ty Willingham.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:39 PM
fact bowlen wanted slowik out and shanny was not willing

NightTrainLayne
12-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Bobby Turner

Beat me to it.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
elway suckfest still!

BroncosRockdaRockies
I think that the Crush was supposed to be part of his education towards a senior position in Denver

Very good point and the Fact of Elway being VP would fill the seats. And in all reality the empty seats is a loss of revenue.

Traveler
My hope is for a Pioli, Schwartz, Nolan combo. Keep the offensive staff intact.

Cugel
12-31-2008, 12:42 PM
The only reason to fire Shanahan is because he wouldn't give up being GM and just concentrate on coaching and Pat Bowlen couldn't tolerate his drafting and personnel failures any more.

He had things the way he wanted them, and it just wasn't working.

Even if the Broncos had won the Buffalo game does anybody think they would have a prayer of winning a home playoff game against the Colts?

This team is just not close to competing and time ran out for Shanahan after 3 years of no overall improvement (improvement on offense, but retrogression on defense).

NightTrainLayne
12-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Very good point and the Fact of Elway being VP would fill the seats. And in all reality the empty seats is a loss of revenue.

Winning games is the best way to fill seats. That should be the number one goal.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
i wouldnt mind seeing bobby turner, but i want someone who makes these young guys put the pads on during the week and during offseason, with all the youth denver had that was the downfall of the team, they were on vaca all summer. that worked with the vets we had in the ninetys because they knew what was to be done on gameday, but too many rooks for that plan to work anymore!

claymore
12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
My hope is for a Pioli, Schwartz, Nolan combo. Keep the offensive staff intact.

Im not sold on Bates.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
The only reason to fire Shanahan is because he wouldn't give up being GM and just concentrate on coaching and Pat Bowlen couldn't tolerate his drafting and personnel failures any more.

He had things the way he wanted them, and it just wasn't working.

Even if the Broncos had won the Buffalo game does anybody think they would have a prayer of winning a home playoff game against the Colts?

This team is just not close to competing and time ran out for Shanahan after 3 years of no overall improvement (improvement on offense, but retrogression on defense).

the reporters stated that the reason he gone is not willing to fire slowik. periiod!

Mike
12-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Mike Evans basically is standing against Clough and Armstrong on the Elway idea. He states that if Elway isn't even a remote possibility as GM for any other team then he shouldn't be considered for the Broncos either.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:45 PM
i think bates will do fine as offensive coordinatoor, but sounds like bowlen wants to keep as much of the offensive staff as possible,

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
gotta remember elways dad was a scout and a good one at that i remember when he wanted chris chambers and shanny passed up on him for someone whos not on the team anymore! elway grew up in football and i really believe would be a good vp and gm and would have plenty of help!

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
10 minutes, SLOWIK FAULT all this is going on!!!!!

G_Money
12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Luckily Bowlen’s not the guy to do things just for the money.

He’s a businessmen, and a successful one, and those guys do care about money.

But Bowlen wants to win. We’ll find out soon what he plans, but I wouldn’t think he would insist on maintaining staff members or micromanaging and thus forcing a guy like Pioli to walk away. Bowlen’s never been that kind of owner.

He doesn’t get in the way of the GM/Coach as they do their jobs. As long as you hire the right people, you shouldn’t have to.

My Mariners are a tremendous example of what can happen to a good thing when the guys who write the checks think their opinions are more important than those of their subordinates.

Hire the brillant guys you need and let their brilliance shine – don’t try to steal light for yourself and make the whole team dim as a result.

I don’t think Bowlen will make that mistake. Hopefully he can have the Midas Touch once again when it comes to head coach and this time GM as well.

~G

Ziggy
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Bringing in a defensive minded head coach doesn't always equate to improving the D, as Cleveland and Cincinnati found out.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Your fiiirrrrrrrreedddd!!!!!!

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
lol bunch of dumb idiot fans! cowher hc, andy reid gm, elway off corrd, lol who would think that~~~

G_Money
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Bringing in a defensive minded head coach doesn't always equate to improving the D, as Cleveland and Cincinnati found out.

Very true. Being a head coach is not the same as being a coordinator.

Still, it works the same way for offensive-minded HCs. They might squander Jay and company too.

In the end, you want a head coach who can reach the players and hire the right guys to teach and coordinate both sides of the ball.

That’s not to much to ask, right?

~G

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
7minutes to presser!

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:55 PM
damn, i've been off work for 6 months due to an injury and goint back friday, wow with all this going on gonna have to get someone to send me text for updates, lol !!! really not looking forward to going back miss my son but need the cashola!

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:56 PM
4 minutes

SR
The guys on the radio feel the same about bringing in Elway as I do. They say if you're gonna bring in Elway, you might as well bring in Bon Jovi since they have the same experience running an NFL franchise. To be fair, Bon Jovi does run an AFL team I believe.

Mike
Shefter is reiterating right now on NFL Network that Slowick was not the reason Mike was fired. He says that this is first hand from his sources.

Says that it is more the job that Shanahan was doing and Pat Bowlen taking back the team and bringing in some fresh blood.

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
torn i think i'll go watch the press conference on tv and update after,

broken12
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
The guys on the radio feel the same about bringing in Elway as I do. They say if you're gonna bring in Elway, you might as well bring in Bon Jovi since they have the same experience running an NFL franchise. To be fair, Bon Jovi does run an AFL team I believe.

a guy called in and said that get your story straight!

Mike
12-31-2008, 12:58 PM
He also says that he is expecting no major changes or shifts in direction. Probably not Elway at this time...he thinks it will happen down the line though.

Ziggy
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm guessing that Bowlen and Shanny will both take the high road and praise each other during the PC. I'm not looking for many if any details as to the "why" of this desicion to come out.

SR
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
a guy called in and said that get your story straight!

Maybe. I was trying to listen to the radio and watch TV at the same time. :laugh:

Don't be an ass hole. I'll eat your babies.

SR
12-31-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm guessing that Bowlen and Shanny will both take the high road and praise each other during the PC. I'm not looking for many if any details as to the "why" of this desicion to come out.

I think they'll go that route as well, but because they mean it, not because they want to put on a show.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Pat Bowlen is first. Vic is on Channel 4 right now. They are replaying the phone conference with Cutler. At 12:00 you can go to CBS4 website. Cutler not here, lot of member of the Broncos organization are the press conference.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Pat Bowlen has just taken the podium. He wishes him well. He looks really tired.
Mike has coached for him for 21 years, giving history.

Decided to make the change for a number of reasons, will take questions on the topic, saying time for organization to move on, has a lot of respect for him and support him.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:08 PM
no tthe team should have been, 14 yrs time to go, dont regret, many reasons why, goood desicions for both, nothing to to with either head coach and gm, no coach for life and it was time,

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:10 PM
talking bout the staff, he doesnt think that hes ( bowlen) is the right guy to pic whos right for the org, much respect for shanny!

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Said season did not go well, have been thinking of it for awhile. He's saying that after 14 years as a head coach it's time to go in a different direction. Said he thinks Shanny will be comfortable in a different organization, he keeps saying it was time. That he has had to fire 3 other coaches, part of the business.

Asked if playoffs would it happen, didn't give a real answer. Let Mike pick his own staff...coaches...

Nothing changed is what he's saying. He felt it was time for a change, is what he keeps saying. Would not talk about cordinators. Said no conditions would change his mind. Said Mike was doing a good job. He wants to move on. Talking about balance of power, ie GM...HC. Said he felt Mike was doing well, but next coach will not have both jobs, he's there every day and just said he runs the show.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:12 PM
saying he just felt it was time for change! 14 is about as many years. No conditions to keep mike around, mike was doing a good job, bowlen kinda lost for words spittering and sputeering, lol, i dont mean as balance of power. felt like mike was doing well as gm and coach! doesnt beleive new coach will have same titles, bowlen was thinking about it for about 1/2 the season!

Dortoh
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Said season did not go well, have been thinking of it for awhile. He's saying that after 14 years as a head coach it's time to go in a different direction. Said he thinks Shanny will be comfortable in a different organization, he keeps saying it was time. That he has had to fire 3 other coaches, part of the business.

Asked if playoffs would it happen, didn't give a real answer. Let Mike pick his own staff...coaches...

Nothing changed is what he's saying. He felt it was time for a change, is what he keeps saying. Would not talk about cordinators. Said no conditions would change his mind. Said Mike was doing a good job. He wants to move on. Talking about balance of power, ie GM...HC. Said he felt Mike was doing well, but next coach will not have both jobs, he's there every day and just said he runs the show.

Best news I've heard since the end of the season

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Saying no anomisty, sorry, can't spell and listen. Talking like there is a lot of respect between them. Saying it's not one loss or the season, but keeps saying it's time for a change.

Looking for a great coach to bring into Denver..

Time table for next coach, ASAP

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:14 PM
thinks the firring went well, no anamosity towards him and wishes him well, not because of one loss, or one season, just time to make a change! gonna try to make a good coach there and wants to keep some of the front office and nothings for ever!

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:15 PM
not spur of the moment deal, not too long of time hes been pondering the firing, hasnt been thinking about it throughout the season and after season looked back and thought it was time!!

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Said he has not been pondering, but looking back he felt like it was time to move on. Feels like Mike will feel in a couple of months, he will agree.

Does not feel like Mike had too much on his plate.

He's breaking down, he really cares about his friendship with Mike.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
does not want new coach to be gm and coach really sad about the emotion and all friendship and all, hard to let him go after 21 yrs, knows he'll have to make some tuff disicions as owner and knew that it would be tough! hasnt thought about who to bring in as a coach, john elway has lots of things to do after a question, hasnt talked to john.... were a long way away from a superbowl team but that could change in a hurry! toughest thing has had to do as owner!

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Just said John Elway has a lot of things to do, has not talked to John, keeps saying he's really busy.

How close to a super bowl team, he said not in playoffs, long way, but could change in a hurry.

Said in 25 years, it's as tough as it gets...

He just said he can't explain why now, saying it's his instincts to go this direction.

Just said the contract is his business.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
# 1 goal is to get someone in here to win a Super Bowl, with good coaching, players, staff.

broken12
Veery comfertable with desicion and very confertable that mike will do good as moving on to new team.

broken12
I want someone to come in here and win a superbowl, thats what i want. hopes to get the right coach etc.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
i dont anticipate keeping any members of coaching staff, but personell will probably stay, talked to jay didnt feel anything negative and understood that in the nfl changes wiill be made and will talk to jay bout new coach, jim goodman will keep his job

pnbronco
Talked to Jay Cutler, he said he talked to him this morning, talked about he business of football. Did not sense negative feeling with Jay, just said he is the man around here now.

Goodman has his job and will have it, not talking about any title.

Does not consider himself talent enough to to do everything and will rely on staff to help pick the next coach. Feels like it's a job a coach would like to come to.

broken12
goona get help from others in the building on a new coach!

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
This job is a very highly thought of job and expects to have a great coach

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:22 PM
Most disappointing moment, being there today. Very difficult day for him.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:23 PM
business of football winning is everything doesnt matter what its worth, most dissapointing moment for him personally was being there today doing this, very dificult day for him.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Will depend on staff, but will make ultimate decision. Feels like him and Mike will have a relationship for life, seems to really care about their friendship, he's having a tough time.

Just said will be happy that he's sure Mike will do well and be happy for him as long as he not beating us. Short conversation yesterday, that Mike understood.

Would not be happy if he goes to KC, will give Mike the highest marks he can.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Wants there to be a 10 in every area of operations.

First get a HC and then a GM.

Today was thinking of press conference and hard questions. His search starts today. Not canidates for HC, yet, but will not be GM, said Hell No.

broken12
shanny next, hell no to becoming the gm himself!

pnbronco
Mike is up right now, thanking his staff....

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
kizzla not planning on keeping anyone on coaching staff!

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Now giving players name, Elway, TD, Sharpe, Atwater, Jones, can't keep up....

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Giving coaches names now a bunch....

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Just thanked Dave Logan and now the press. Current team... Mike is breaking down now, talking about Bowlen being his great friend....only kind words....

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
shanny breaking down on talking about bowlen

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
best owner in sports and appreciats all the opportunitys to be succesfull, and thanks for the opportunity

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
He didn't thank Dan Reeves and he should have.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Said Pat made a tough decision in this business. He understands those tough decisions, just said trying to keep O Staff, but will make changes on the D.

Would not give anything up in the last 14 years. Judged by performance and has not done anything in the last 3 years.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
gonna keep the offense in tact as much as possible but gonna make many changes to the defense! according to shanny, we didnt win last three yrs judged by performance

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Says Denver will keep much of the offensive staff.

He takes blame for last three years.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
didnt expect it and was surprised to be fired, will be taking a little time off not sure how much. knows defensively wasnt going anywere, people want to be a denver bronco bowlen best owner and not easy losing such a young team!!

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Caught him a bit by surprise, but he understands it. Made a joke about having some time off.

He's talking about O, very excited about that. Talking about D lost captains. It's been fun, him and Pat will always be best friends, he seems sincere. Just thanked Ted S, talked about having to make tough decisions himself.

Just said you get use to getting fired, always tough.

Ziggy
12-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Shanny is manning up. He basically said "We were a .500 team the last 3 years. I didn't get it done." Classy guy.

broncofaninfla
Thanks to both of you for keeping us in the loop on this

broken12
to think the first time he got fired got used to bieng fired on the sereiose side when you put your heart and soul into something and let go. people have to make dicisions to run a organization.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Shanny understands were pat came from only lasted about 5 minutes, really hurt, tough times dont last, tough people do, its all about winning. sit back a couple of weeks and what gives a new team the best chance to win.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Is talking about how tough it is about letting go of other coaches and staff.

He felt for Pat, said it washarder on Pat than him, he has been in those shoes. Said it only lasted 5 min. because they both would of broke down.

Not giving himself any time table of where to go from here. Says he wants great advice, not titles. Find people stronger than him, know the position stronger than him.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
wants compitant people running org. i want great advice and blah blah blah, need people who work harder than him to work.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
the team changes and felt best about this team of all in the last five years due to youth. adn the promise of a young offense.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:43 PM
He said this is the best team he has felt with the youth and character.

Not angry with Pat, bottom line did not get it done. Talk about the Pitt game, expections high and should be.

Keeps saying he didn't get it done.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:43 PM
said it was ultimatly that he couldnt win and that they should have last three yrs go 500 and didnt get it done. it all comes back to him.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM
defensively could have come back free agency and draft

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:44 PM
no inkling what was going to happen when called to bowlens office what was about

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Just said the D can be fixed, and "we" can get it.

Plans for future, lunch. He drives his wife crazy, so will find something to do.

broken12
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
gotta promote new restuarant lol.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Answer 2 phone calls in the last 24 hrs. Talked to Cutler this am, Said Denver fans are the best, we are like college fans, he loves us..

Has not been in the market, will find out.

Weigh options, wants to go some place to be successful, depends on ownership of where he would like to go.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Don't feel bad for him, he is concern for his staff and other coaches and their families.

ikillz0mbies
12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Listening to Shanahan talk and talking all this responsibility, saying he "didn't get it done, worrying about the assistant coaches more than himself and their families, etc. What a class act and a clear definition of what truly a man is.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
He feels like new coach would be crazy to not keep O coaches.

Regrets not getting it done, would have hated to leave 2 years ago, feels like he has started a really good base. Will miss everyone he has worked with. Feels like they are going in the right direction, a big difference.

Saying he's set for life. He worries about the assistant, said Pat would let him give his assistant a years salary if they could not find something right away.

Speaks very highly of Elway working for the Broncos, but he's busy.

Felt last year was horrible with 7-9, felt much better this year. Excited for Denver, get D back in right way.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
He totally understands about what Pat has done. He still wants to win. It's the people that's the hardest part for him. He will be coaching, but not give a time frame or where, college or NFL. Said he loves the NFL and can't see himself getting out of it.

Nothing but great things here, everyone makes it happen. The owner allows it to make it happen. To win the SB you have to be the best in every area. Door was always open, supported him in tough times, and he appreciates it. Feels like you have to go with your gut, "I'm not saying it the best", but he really appreciates what he could do.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Talking about SB losses and then if they would they get back and how great it was to win.

Not sure what going to do. He looks really up for what he's gone through the last 24 hrs. Pat and him will be friends forever, he can relate to this tough decision.

Ziggy
12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Just said Bowlen and him will be friends forever, and that this is tougher on Pat than it is on him.

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Will reflect on this for awhile. Have been working 100 weeks, hopes the assistance will get a break and can get work too.

Kids understand the business, esp son. Daughter getting married in July. They understand what Pat had to do. Wants to live in Denver the rest of his life. Joking about his sq ft of home, will always keep a home in Denver....

broken12
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
said whoever get the team will inherit a great young offense, didnt agree with the desision about being fired, but can see why sinc they didnt get it done!

pnbronco
Just ended, both saying there still good friends. Oh when he went yesterday joked that he thought they were going to lunch. Each got very emotional, always be great friends.

broken12
bowlen to change this defense up full scale!!!

broncofaninfla
I was able to watch the last 10 minutes of Shanahan speaking. Class act to the end. Hard to watch, almost sureal. Somebody is about to get one hell of a coach.

CrazyHorse
12-31-2008, 02:05 PM
bowlen to change this defense up full scale!!!

To a 3-4?
That feeds rumors of Cowher.

broken12
very har to see shanny go through this, hopes this team can move on!

broken12
said if offensive staff doesnt stay here it would be a mistake for whoeve comes in

pnbronco
Both totally class acts, feel better about all of it. Hope this helped everyone have a wonderful and safe New Years.....

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM
VALLEY — "I've terminated Mike Shanahan as head coach," said owner Pat Bowlen this morning, citing the need to make an historic change in the Broncos organization.
Bowlen, and outgoing head coach and general manager, Mike Shanahan, are speaking to the media right now at Broncos headquarters.
"I decided to make this change for a number of reasons," Bowlen said. "I think it was time for the organization to move on and for Mike to move on."
"I have no regrets in making that decision," he said. "I have a great deal of respect for Mike, obviously, and will support him as much as I can with anything he wants to do in the future."
Bowlen answered questions, saying today was the first day of the search for a new head
coach and GM. He said he needed to talk with former quarterback John Elway, now his partner in the Crush, but didn't dwell on speculation that Elway could figure in the new Broncos leadership, saying Elway is very busy.
When Shanahan took the microphone he began by thanking a long list of players, people in the Broncos administration, and local media organizations for helping him during his long coaching career.
"I'd also like to thank the fans, the community, the state of Colorado for their support," he said.
"Obviously, Pat Bowlen," Shanahan said, pausing, and looking as if he might break down emotionally. "That's tough. He's my great friend. He will always be my great friend. Best owner in sports. I appreciate every opportunity you gave me to be successful."
Shanahan addressed the question of whether he deserved to be fired.
"You get judged by performance. I didn't get the job done," he said.
Shanahan has led the Broncos for fourteen years, but has won only one playoff game in the past 10 years.
Shanahan said the firing discussion lasted about five minutes, and he felt for Bowlen.
"It was harder on him to tell me than it was for me to accept it," Shanahan said.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks broke and pnb!!!

Tned
12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
You would think Bowlen would have to have a pretty good idea of what he wants – and what he can get - before he fires Shanahan.

You don’t just fire the best coach in team history for mediocrity unless you have some reasonable expectation of significant improvement, right?

This is the best job in the league. You’d have to think he had his names lined up in advance, though he must not have called any of them because NOTHING leaked out about Shanahan getting fired.

Still, Bowlen should be able to move fast on this and have his pick of whatever front office and coaching talent he wants.

I hope to see decisive action, and not some weird, floundering search. We'll see what he says today.

~G

What Gil Brandt said on Sirius yesterday (I know there are differing opinion of Brandt), is that you don't fire a coach, unless you are SURE there is a better coach available or lined up to replace him. He went on to say there ISN'T a better coach available to replace Shanahan. I'm paraphrasing, but that is roughly what he said.