PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your new Broncos Head Coach...

MHCBill
12-31-2008, 09:05 AM
So, at this time who would you like to see and why.

roomemp
12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
I voted for Steve Spagnuolo. We need new blood in Denver. No more over scheming. I want a team that will stand up tall and punch you right in the mouth.

MHCBill
12-31-2008, 09:14 AM
I agree... I also choose Spagnuolo at this time. We need someone defensive minded since the defense primarily needs the work. If Spagnuolo would come to Denver I could see him leaving Bates on board and probably Dennison keeping the consitency with the offense. This would at least take away some of the bitterness from the offensive guys like Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler.

I think Spagnuolo has done more with less defensive talent than what Rex Ryan has done in Baltimore. I guess that point could be arguable, but imo Ryan has a lot more defensive talent than Spagnuolo.

Kubiak would be tough to pass up, but I'm not sure about surrendering draft picks and like I said earlier we need someone defensive minded. If we can keep Bates, Turner, and Dennison for offensive cohesion then lets get a coach that can retool the defense.

roomemp
12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
I agree... I also choose Spagnuolo at this time. We need someone defensive minded since the defense primarily needs the work. If Spagnuolo would come to Denver I could see him leaving Bates on board and probably Dennison keeping the consitency with the offense. This would at least take away some of the bitterness from the offensive guys like Cutler, Marshall, and Scheffler.

I think Spagnuolo has done more with less defensive talent than what Rex Ryan has done in Baltimore. I guess that point could be arguable, but imo Ryan has a lot more defensive talent than Spagnuolo.

Kubiak would be tough to pass up, but I'm not sure about surrendering draft picks and like I said earlier we need someone defensive minded. If we can keep Bates, Turner, and Dennison for offensive cohesion then lets get a coach that can retool the defense.

The problem I have with Kubes is he is bascially Shanny without the GM title. Although That might be what works best now, I am not sure it will work in the future. I say we have a great opportunity here to get a young fresh mind. I don't want a quick fix. I want another long term solution

Dreadnought
12-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Jeremy Bates. He'll do the least damage, and he'll have to bring in a new DC. Barring Bowlen begging Shanny to come back, apologizing for making a mistake, and groveling its the best choice - and not a good one.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 10:16 AM
My wish list is as follows, in order:

Coaches:
Steve Spagnuolo
Steve Mariucci
Jim Schwartz

GM’s:
Pioli
Elway
Goodman

BigDaddyBronco
12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Jim Schwartz w/ Bates, Turner, and Dennison retained.

Pioli as GM, and a Schwartz disciple as the DC.

elsid13
12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Can we add Dinger to the list. He fits the profile of the coaches that Bowlen has said he wants. "Young" OC, has ties to the Broncos, would keep most of the offense coaching staff (they worked for him), knows Cutler, Marshall etc, run a strong version of the current offense WCO and wouldn't want complete control.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
One of the concerns I have with Piloi as GM is that indications are that he wants Iowa's head coach as his head coach. Not loving that right now.

East Coast Fan
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
John Ralston as GM and Red Miller as head coach. :lol:

This actually WAS a possibility back in '77. Just imagine what results that combo would've brought, with Ralston's great eye for talent and Miller as the fiery "fireplug" of a head coach. Sigh.....

If you watched the "in their own words" section of the Broncos history DVD, Ralston DID say that "he hasn't given up; maybe he'll just take a job and win a Super Bowl real quick". :D

Sorry to go a little nuts here but I hope that this brought a smile to at least someone's face. The young kids are going "HUH"??? right now because this is dinasour information!

xzn
12-31-2008, 10:32 AM
I agree utterly on the import of maintaining the current offensive staff, with the possible addition of one Rod Smith as an assistant coach.

I like the idea of Spagnuolo or Schwartz since they are both successful D. Coordinators but I voted in the poll for Cowher because he is a proven winner.

It is clear we should not mess with the offense and bring in a strong defensive mind with the best credentials possible. If Cowher isn't ready to stop being a talking head then getting the Giants or Titans defensive leaders would be the best fall-back plan.

We need to completely clean house on defense, especially the coaching staff but also some personelle.

Traveler
12-31-2008, 10:39 AM
So, at this time who would you like to see and why.

None of the above. My vote would be for the DC of the Titans, Jim Schwartz. Defense is this teams most glaring weakness and Schwartz's strength.

The only drawback being would he be willing to accept keeping the offensive staff intact? Read somewhere this morning that Bowlen would insist on retaining certain offensive assistants.

eessydo
12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Give it to Jeremy Bates.

1. He is young
2. His father, while handcuffed by the crappy defensive roster here in denver, is still a proven NFL defensive coordinator. So while Jim Bates won't be back, at least we would have a young coach that understands the value of defense.
3. He comes from a football family, I went to school with his brother, James Bates at Florida, who was a very good linebacker in his own right who also played under Bob Stoops on the 96 National Championship team.

They are a solid family with good work ethic and a strong love of football.

He did a very good job this year.

Let's give him a shot.

NightTrainLayne
12-31-2008, 10:42 AM
I honestly think that the guy we hire won't be on that list. I voted Cowher just because he's the best on that particular list, but I hope that Bowlen hires somebody else.

We probably won't really have an inkling who it is until it's done. Let's not forget the NFL's rules regarding interviewing minorities. Bowlen's got some due diligence to do before he offers the job to anyone.

The best coaches always seem to be the dynamic assistants who finally get their shot. Spagnoula comes the closest out of that list, but reports say that Bowlen wants an offensive-minded guy.

We'll see, but I'm excited to watch it all unfold.

BroncosRockdaRockies
12-31-2008, 10:55 AM
There are alot of candidates that are a possibility that are not on this list and there wasn't a "other" option.

But there is people Like Bob Stoops out of Oklahoma. Although I mentioned this somewhere else and the response was he doesn't have the NFL experience and the Adjustments from College to NFL would be to hard. I think that is a copout or a stereotype whatever you want to call it.

There is also Butch Davis. Head Coach of North Carolina. He was Defensive Coord. for dallas under Jimmy Johnson and was there in the Back to Back Superbowl that dallas Experienced. He was head coach of the Miami Hurricanes when they became National Champions. He spent his college career as a DE in the University of Arkansas.

There are coaches from the Tennesee Titans Organization that are being eyeballed by some teams as well. Leslie Frazier is also an option that I didn't see on the list.

I just thought I would throw out some other names since we may not hear anything for weeks it is all speculation at this point. But personally i don't want Bill Cowher here.

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Even Marty Schottenheimer could be a solution. He'd give the discipline and fire needed and could exorcise his personal demons by winning with the team that has killed him most of his career.

Bowlen wants to win, and he like many of the fans felt Shanahan has becomes stale. I have faith he'll bring in someone to turn this around.

Right now Denver is the most attractive job available. Someone good will come. There are plenty of hot assistants available and former Coaches. The Broncos will be ok.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Schottenheimer scares me. His reputation for choking in the playoffs is unsetteling.

SR
12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
I voted for Cowher. I'd like to see Brian Billick leave Fox and return to coaching with Denver. But, that's probably as likely as Cowher coming to Denver. Realistically, Spag or Garrett are probably more likely to land the coaching job in Denver. Cowher would probably be the best fit for our team because of his wants, the personnel we have, and his style of coaching; I just don't think it will happen.

CrazyHorse
12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Jeremy Bates

Traveler
12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I'd like to see Brian Billick leave Fox and return to coaching with Denver.

Ewww!

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I like Billick as well

Mike
12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Billick? Schottenheimer? Lord I hope not.

I will be disappointed if Denver brings in a retread...especially one of these two.

NightTrainLayne
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
There are alot of candidates that are a possibility that are not on this list and there wasn't a "other" option.

But there is people Like Bob Stoops out of Oklahoma. Although I mentioned this somewhere else and the response was he doesn't have the NFL experience and the Adjustments from College to NFL would be to hard. I think that is a copout or a stereotype whatever you want to call it.

There is also Butch Davis. Head Coach of North Carolina. He was Defensive Coord. for dallas under Jimmy Johnson and was there in the Back to Back Superbowl that dallas Experienced. He was head coach of the Miami Hurricanes when they became National Champions. He spent his college career as a DE in the University of Arkansas.

There are coaches from the Tennesee Titans Organization that are being eyeballed by some teams as well. Leslie Frazier is also an option that I didn't see on the list.

I just thought I would throw out some other names since we may not hear anything for weeks it is all speculation at this point. But personally i don't want Bill Cowher here.

I posted this elsewhere in response to Stoops name coming up:

Ha! My wife asked me about that too.

Very doubtful, but Stoops has the NFL model down. He is a delegator. He's good at organizing, and is a good motivator as well, but doesn't have to micro-manage the entire game-plan.

Would be interesting, but he's at home at OU. He's is the same spot at OU as Shanny was with Bowlen 6-7 years ago. He can do no wrong, and the money truck backs up to his house on a regular basis. He's happy here now, and I don't see him leaving.

I think Stoops would be a great NFL coach. He uses the NFL model (more delegation, more about organization and systems) now. He'd be successful, no doubt in my mind.

But he's not leaving Norman. He's got it too good. OU right now has got to be one of the 2 or 3 best jobs for a football coach at any level. Unless he just gets the itch for a new challenge, he won't do it.

LRtagger
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM

It's not a copout...

When you think of the likes of Spurrier, Sagan, etc...it is a big adjustment to go from the college ranks to the pros as a HC. Especially when you start talking about big name guys like Stoops or Carroll who would probably demand big contracts to get them out of their current situations.

I would be happier going with a proven NFL DC than a college coach with no pro experience.

broncophan
12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't know who the next coach will be.......

but it scares the hell out of me, that ESPN even mentions the name Schottenheimer.....saying he would be a good fit for the broncos.

Anyone who thinks the broncos are better off with Schottenheimer, than Shanahan....is absolutely nuts.

broncophan
12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
What about Urban Meyer(sp)......from Florida......if college coaches are being talked about......

Nick
12-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Urban Meyer, Chris Petersen, or Bob Stoops (If we want to spend money) if it is a college coach.

SR
12-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Ewww!

I was never a huge fan of his when he was with Baltimore, but he is a damn good coach, won the SB with Baltimore without an offense, and is a proven leader. I wouldn't mind him as our next coach. My main concern in hiring a new coach is what they can do for our defense. If they aren't defensive minded, I don't want them.

Slick
12-31-2008, 12:32 PM
If we don't get a Cowher or Parcells, guys who we know can bring a tough physical style of play to town, I'd have kept Shanahan.

I'm torn on this. I guess backing Slowick after a year of complete ineptitude, was the final nail in he coffin.

I don't want to try to find out if a young hot coordinator can get the job done. I'd like a proven winner.

JONtheBRONCO
12-31-2008, 12:36 PM
GM = Tuna or Pioli

HC = New Blood

SR
12-31-2008, 12:37 PM
We need proven leaders on our time right now. As much as I'd like to go draft studs like Maualuga, etc, we need someone on our team that has proven they can play in the NFL. The same should be said for coaching. I DO NOT want to promote from within. I DO NOT want to hire someone that has not proven anything in this league. I want a proven coach and a proven GM, just like I want proven players. No more bottom of the barrel players, no more wash outs from other teams. They've done nothing for us, by and large.

Bronco Bible
12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
I have yet to read thru the whole post but from what I read you forgot one person who know the organization....what about KYLE SHANNAHAN?

SR
12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Kyle Shanahan is under contract with Houston is he not? I wouldn't want him here as our head coach anyway. He's young and unproven and, like his farga, is an offensive minded coach.

Nick
12-31-2008, 12:51 PM
I have yet to read thru the whole post but from what I read you forgot one person who know the organization....what about KYLE SHANNAHAN?

He has moved up the ranks pretty fast. he has been OC for one year but has only called one game so far for offense. He will be a head coach someday but it is when.

I think he needs more experience first and there is far more qualified canidates available.

Bronco Bible
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
I was never a huge fan of his when he was with Baltimore, but he is a damn good coach, won the SB with Baltimore without an offense, and is a proven leader. I wouldn't mind him as our next coach. My main concern in hiring a new coach is what they can do for our defense. If they aren't defensive minded, I don't want them.

But Billick is supposed to be an OFFENSIVE coach (and there is a reason for putting that in caps)

Skinny
12-31-2008, 02:22 PM
It makes no matter to me if the HC is offensive minded or defensive minded. Hopefully he'll be a little of both.

I just want a defensive minded defensive coordinator that's all.

Pool
12-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Urban Meyer

WARHORSE
12-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Josh McDaniels if he comes with Pioli.

He broke the NFL scoring record.

Pioli can start concentrating on the D.

Superchop 7
12-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Because I don't think Cowher wants to coach.

I will say Jim Johnson.

If you take Shannys offense and combine it with Johnsons defense ?

That would be sick.

Benetto
12-31-2008, 03:03 PM

I will say Jim Johnson.

That would be sick.
Rex Ryans defense hasn't allowed a 100 yard rusher since the Jurassic period. I would rather take Rex Ryan over Jim Johnson as head coach...

That would add fuel to our rivalry against Choke town and their dcoord Rob Ryan.

I say bring in Billy Parcells as GM, and have him hand pick a HC for us.

Drill-N-Fill
12-31-2008, 03:54 PM
My choices would be in this order:

1. Cower
2. Jim Johnson
3. Ron Rivera
4. Steve Spagnuolo

:defense::defense::defense:

Nomad
12-31-2008, 03:55 PM
The list of names in the polls, I recognize a few and I chose Cowher because he is proven.

Knowing this will be an issue and unavoidable, who will be some good black coaches or GMs Bowlen will interview???

Northman
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM

I will say Jim Johnson.

That would be sick.

Its going to take more than Johnson to turn the defense around. You need to get the players in place for him to succeed. We still have some work to do in that area.

BroncoTech
12-31-2008, 04:19 PM
I picked Parsells but he really is better suited for GM. There is no better motivator in the NFL and no better track record at turning around teams. The next best track record at turning teams around is Marty. I'd even consider a young coach for this young team if Tuna was GM.

Magnificent Seven
12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Check it out. It is looks like Bowlen's list of candidates.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncosslideshows/Broncos.Head.Coach.20.897708.html

Mike
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM

That's pretty much every name on any team's list right about now. It doesn't mean that they are the only candidates Bowlen is considering though. And given some of the faces on that list I certainly hope not.

Tned
12-31-2008, 04:31 PM

I think at least about half of those names are very unlikely.

BroncoTech
12-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Here's a story on Cowher not wanting to join the Jets because he didn't want to coach Brett Farve.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/83432-sources-cowher-didnt-want-to-coach-favre?eref=fromSI

Sources close to Cowher said he did not want to have Favre as his quarterback, and that he also wanted to bring in people he was familiar with to handle personnel.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-31-2008, 04:56 PM
I went Stoops based on that list.

Kaylore
12-31-2008, 05:03 PM
"None of the above."

dogfish
12-31-2008, 05:11 PM
spags! spags! spags!

horsepig
12-31-2008, 07:31 PM
for all you guys that want Cowher-how about a combo of dual head coaches-Bobby Bowden for the O and Joe Pa for the D, lol.

horsepig
12-31-2008, 07:36 PM
I like Bates. It all seems to be there. Continuity with what Mikey built the last couple years, plus a very clear knowledge that the owner is really tired of putrid defenses.

"What crazy b#$%^&d's got his hand on the throttle?"-Hank Snow.

BroncoWave
12-31-2008, 07:58 PM

Ted Sundquist being on that list makes it a big pile of fail. :tsk:

DenBronx
12-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Ted Sundquist being on that list makes it a big pile of fail. :tsk:

seriously, what a joke. why does he have all the bronco retreads on the list?

it's cowher or spagnuolo or fail.

atwater27
12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Spag or Schwartz. We need a definitive change in our philosophy from finesse to smashmouth. Cowher would be an awesome choice too.

Kapaibro
12-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Cowher for HC, Parcells for GM (look what he did to Miami!), and Romeo Crennel as DC, mayhaps Spagnulo as OC

atwater27
12-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Hell, if Crennell or Marvin Lewis would consider it, I say hell yeah for DC

SmilinAssasSin27
12-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Heimerdinger wouldn't be sop bad.

atwater27
12-31-2008, 08:28 PM
We should take John Gruden in a heartbeat if he were available.

Dreadnought
01-01-2009, 11:35 AM
seriously, what a joke. why does he have all the bronco retreads on the list?

it's cowher or spagnuolo or fail.

Keep this in mind for Cowher - how many years did it take him to finally figger out that Kordell Stewart was possibly the worst QB in professional football? Six freakin Years with that bum as a starter. He can be as stubborn and myopic as anybody - including Shanny at his worst (e.g. his insistence that Slowick is a good DC)

elsid13
01-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Keep this in mind for Cowher - how many years did it take him to finally figger out that Kordell Stewart was possibly the worst QB in professional football? Six freakin Years with that bum as a starter. He can be as stubborn and myopic as anybody - including Shanny at his worst (e.g. his insistence that Slowick is a good DC)

I think people fail to understand how bad field coach he was. His idea of offense was getting a lead and running the ball 3 times then punt it. Want to regress this team offense, choice Marty (I mean) Cowher as the HC.

Even his superbowl run was more lucky breaks then good coaching decisions. Missed FG by accurate kicker, lucky tackle by QB on turnover, facing Plummer in the AFC.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
01-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Cowher and Parcells wont happen I want Spags

BroncoWave
01-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd be ok with any of these guys:

Spagnuolo
McDaniels
Schwartz
Stoops
Ferentz
Cowher

I'm pretty meh on anyone else but we'll see what happens.

Dreadnought
01-01-2009, 01:07 PM
I think people fail to understand how bad field coach he was. His idea of offense was getting a lead and running the ball 3 times then punt it. Want to regress this team offense, choice Marty (I mean) Cowher as the HC.

Even his superbowl run was more lucky breaks then good coaching decisions. Missed FG by accurate kicker, lucky tackle by QB on turnover, facing Plummer in the AFC.

Agreed totally. If you like dull, unimaginative, uninspired offense you'll love Cowher. Even when winning his Steelers were boring as Hell to watch. He yells a lot, so some people therefore think he's a great leader. Feh.

Gamechanger
01-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I think this team will get better with a guy like Leslie Frazier, he'd look better and more respectable in a Bronco's coaching uniform

lex
01-01-2009, 01:18 PM
i think this team will get better with a guy like leslie frazier, he'd look better and more respectable in a bronco's coaching uniform

wth?

lex
01-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Id kind of like to see us get back to the running game more and to become more physical on defense.

Gamechanger
01-01-2009, 01:30 PM
wth?

my bad? :damnmate:

skycoyote
01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Ryan or Spag we need defense. I prefer Ryan love the 46 defense.

Bozo Jr.
01-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Looks as though my vote for Spags has tied it up at 26 with Cowher. Both great coaches, but Steve gets my vote.

I'm sure everyone here takes notice when they see a great defense. The size, the empowered passion to shut the other team down, and the "teamwork" of all 11 players doing their part. Bring in Spagnuolo and that's what we will get!

It's been fun Shanny, thanks for the great ride. :salute:

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
01-01-2009, 04:20 PM
anyone else think Bob Stoops is a bad idea?

Bozo Jr.
01-01-2009, 04:27 PM

Absolutely, I can't stand the guy! :damnmate:

lex
01-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Maybe not awful but more risky...and there are other college coaches Id rather have.

lex
my bad? :damnmate:

Its still WTH?

Ziggy
Agreed totally. If you like dull, unimaginative, uninspired offense you'll love Cowher. Even when winning his Steelers were boring as Hell to watch. He yells a lot, so some people therefore think he's a great leader. Feh.

It's a tradeoff. I love to watch a team that has an exciting, inspired defense. I love to watch a team that wants to come out and beat, bully, and intimidate you. That's a Cower team. He'd be my second choice, first being Spagnuolo.

Gamechanger
01-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Its still WTH?

idk? :noidea:

BroncoWave
01-01-2009, 08:52 PM

I wouldn't be mad if we got Stoops. He runs a pro style offense and is still relatively young. I think there are better candidates but we could definitely do worse. And who knows, maybe he could lure Adrian Peterson to Denver! :D