PDA

View Full Version : Update just reported by cbs4

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Gary Miller just stated that Bronco officials have confirmed that Mike was not fired because he refused to fire Slowik. Gary Miller was told that it was no more than a 5 minute meeting.

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Gary Miller just stated that Bronco officials have confirmed that Mike was not fired because he refused to fire Slowik. Gary Miller was told that it was no more than a 5 minute meeting.

If this is true, I don't think I'm happy with Bowlen.

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 08:59 PM
GM Duties...

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Hmmm....

I'm thinking it was giving up the GM duties as well. Shanny said no, and Bowlen said bye bye.

Krugan
12-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Has to be GM duties.

That never should have happened in the first place. A coach is a coach, not a GM.

That being said, the wrong person got fired. It should have read, Dline coach, DC, DB coach, LB'ers coach, any person with D in the title.

Maybe this will all work out, im not sure though.

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Makes you wonder if Woody's article about "shanny could fire Bowlen" set Pat off.

Great, just what I need, Jerry Jones trying to run a football team.

Tned
12-30-2008, 09:06 PM
If this is true, I don't think I'm happy with Bowlen.

Why? It makes more sense then fighting over Slowick. Either Bowlen thought Shanahan was still the guy or not. Bowlen could have gone and fired Slowick and forced Shanahan to resign (if he so chose) and saved $21 million, if it was really over Slowick.

This makes more sense.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
You know, it could have been over Mike not wanting to fire Slowik, and the Bronco officials just did not want to confirm that. Based on the following statement by Bowlen, I believe it was more about the GM position, than the head coach position:

"After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos," owner Pat Bowlen said.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Makes you wonder if Woody's article about "shanny could fire Bowlen" set Pat off.

Great, just what I need, Jerry Jones trying to run a football team.

COuld be better than Mike "average" Shanahan running the helm.

When you let the inmates run the prison, you get the second worst defense since 1995, statistically speaking.

haroldthebarrel
12-30-2008, 09:52 PM
You know, it could have been over Mike not wanting to fire Slowik, and the Bronco officials just did not want to confirm that. Based on the following statement by Bowlen, I believe it was more about the GM position, than the head coach position:

"After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos," owner Pat Bowlen said.

I wonder how "careful considerations" can be made in five minutes?

The wrong man got fired. Then again, had Slowik stayed we would have had to wait another year until he got fired.

I tell you one thing. The "careful considerations" Bowlen has to take on the new HC and hopefully GM should last way longer than five minutes.

deacon
12-30-2008, 11:21 PM
I wonder how "careful considerations" can be made in five minutes?

The wrong man got fired. Then again, had Slowik stayed we would have had to wait another year until he got fired.

I tell you one thing. The "careful considerations" Bowlen has to take on the new HC and hopefully GM should last way longer than five minutes.

Bowlen is a businessman. I'm sure he's been thinking on this for several weeks. Just because the meeting only lasted 5 minutes doesn't mean he hasn't given it any more thought than that.

Northman
12-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Why? It makes more sense then fighting over Slowick. Either Bowlen thought Shanahan was still the guy or not. Bowlen could have gone and fired Slowick and forced Shanahan to resign (if he so chose) and saved $21 million, if it was really over Slowick.

This makes more sense.

I agree. At the end of the day Bowlen is the one that owns the team. If he felt that Shanahan wasnt doing everything necessary to get the ship right or that his GM duties was hindering his coaching ability than he felt there needed to be a change of some kind. Shanny probably got so comfortable not having to really answer to anyone and probably didnt like the idea of having too give up his power.

Shazam!
12-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Bowlen is a businessman. I'm sure he's been thinking on this for several weeks. Just because the meeting only lasted 5 minutes doesn't mean he hasn't given it any more thought than that.

I believe this thought started in Bowlen's mind when Denver was getting shellacked by the Raiders and Chiefs and losing games at home.

There has been no fire under Denver and Shanahan got too comfy.

The Broncos will be ok.

hamrob
12-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Bowlen was probably very disapointed we didn't lock up the division against the Panthers...then heartbroken when we choked to the Bills. When we got roasted by the Chargers...he was proabably going into cardiac arrest like the lot of us. Then, on Monday, he sees Shanny in the hallway remarking about how all they need to do is tweak this and tweak that and how he's not going to fire Slowik etc.

After he spent the night trying to bring his blood pressure down....he promptly kicked Mike to the Curb.

For the record...I put a large part of the blame on Bowlen. It was he, who closed his wallet and essentially caused Shanny to field the same team we had in 07 this year. Then, after his entire team was ravaged by injuries...Shanny coached his arse off, avoiding a losing season. It's hard to believe, he'll get anybody better to fill Shanny's shoes.

arapaho2
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM
sometimes a change is needed...i loved mike as our coach and cannot think of any who coulda did better, but in the end i grow weary of the ." i didnt do a good job prepareing the team" after loses i grew weary of watching us crumble in games we should win, watching teams that have no busines even competing with us , manhandleing us easily...thats all coaching
i grew tired of the bad defense dragging us down, and seeminly nothing being done to correct it.. i i totaly lost it when he said slowick was staying

we may crumble..but then we may just have a new breath of life into this team

arapaho2
12-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Bowlen was probably very disapointed we didn't lock up the division against the Panthers...then heartbroken when we choked to the Bills. When we got roasted by the Chargers...he was proabably going into cardiac arrest like the lot of us. Then, on Monday, he sees Shanny in the hallway remarking about how all they need to do is tweak this and tweak that and how he's not going to fire Slowik etc.

After he spent the night trying to bring his blood pressure down....he promptly kicked Mike to the Curb.

For the record...I put a large part of the blame on Bowlen. It was he, who closed his wallet and essentially caused Shanny to field the same team we had in 07 this year. Then, after his entire team was ravaged by injuries...Shanny coached his arse off, avoiding a losing season. It's hard to believe, he'll get anybody better to fill Shanny's shoes.

he didnt close the check book, he said no more wasting money on people like darryl gardner

pnbronco
12-31-2008, 12:30 AM
GM Duties...

I was thinking the same thing. It's no secret that Mike is a control freak, maybe Pat said give up the GM and he said no. That would take less than 5 minutes, it's going to be a really, really weird off season.

BroncosRockdaRockies
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
I think it was known before the game on Sunday and that the 5 mins entailed handing over the keys. Reports from a sideline reporter says that even if making it to the play offs and coming up short he would've been gone as well. So yeah I would have to lean towards the fact that he didn't get the Defensive personel or didn't keep the defensive personel on the field that were winning when the starters came back from Injury.

Reports say this was a long time coming and I think it was very professional keeping it out of the media the way they did. The GM was fired not the Coach.

Cugel
12-31-2008, 05:53 PM
I think it was known before the game on Sunday and that the 5 mins entailed handing over the keys. Reports from a sideline reporter says that even if making it to the play offs and coming up short he would've been gone as well. So yeah I would have to lean towards the fact that he didn't get the Defensive personel or didn't keep the defensive personel on the field that were winning when the starters came back from Injury.

Reports say this was a long time coming and I think it was very professional keeping it out of the media the way they did. The GM was fired not the Coach.

If that were the case, then WHY is Bowlen keeping Jim Goodman (Assn't GM) in his job? Why is he saying that he's NOT concentrating on hiring a GM and that Goodman and the other Ass't GM Brian Xanders will handle this year's draft?

In short, NO NEW GM!

I think fans are just jumping to the conclusion that Shanahan was fired for being a bad GM because we all agree that his drafting of defensive players for the last 10 years has totally sucked. But, Bowlen isn't doing that! He's keeping the GM and firing the coach!

Which makes no sense to me! Admittedly, Shanahan would never agree to surrender his control over player personnel decisions, so Bowlen had to fire him, but why not hire a top quality GM now?

The Patriots' Scott Piolis is free! Why not hire him?

girler
12-31-2008, 05:56 PM
I still think that Mike's health has something to do with it. He has aged 40 years in the last 13. Pat would be doing him a favor by "firing" him and not releasing him for health issues.

Tned
12-31-2008, 05:56 PM
If that were the case, then WHY is Bowlen keeping Jim Goodman (Assn't GM) in his job? Why is he saying that he's NOT concentrating on hiring a GM and that Goodman and the other Ass't GM Brian Xanders will handle this year's draft?

In short, NO NEW GM!

I think fans are just jumping to the conclusion that Shanahan was fired for being a bad GM because we all agree that his drafting of defensive players for the last 10 years has totally sucked. But, Bowlen isn't doing that! He's keeping the GM and firing the coach!

Which makes no sense to me! Admittedly, Shanahan would never agree to surrender his control over player personnel decisions, so Bowlen had to fire him, but why not hire a top quality GM now?

The Patriots' Scott Piolis is free! Why not hire him?

Coaches hire coordinators. The defensive coordinators in Denver have failed. Now, it is completely unclear exactly what role Goodman, Shanahan and Bowlen played in player (especially FA) decisions. It is often stated on message boards that Shanahan makes all the decisions, but for many years now, Shanahan has stated that Sundquist and then Goodman were responsible for draft decisions.

So, I don't think it is as simple as thinking that Shanny the GM was fired, rather than the coach.