PDA

View Full Version : Shannahan rumors already!! San Diego??

broken12
12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
SHANAHAN HAS SOMETHING UP HIS SLEEVE?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2008, 7:51 p.m.
The immediate speculation in some league circles when word broke of the termination of long-time Broncos coach Mike Shanahan is that Shanahan has something else cooking, and that he forced his firing by refusing to agree to changes that owner Pat Bowlen wants to make.

According to Jeff Legwold of the Rocky Mountain News, part of that speculation is right on the money.

Per Legwold, Shanahan was fired because he refused to fire defensive coordinator Bob Slowik, whose unit surrendered 52 points in a Week Seventeen loss to the Chargers.

Said Bowlen, in a release issued by the team: “After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos. This is certainly a difficult decision, but one that I feel must be made and which will ultimately be in the best interests of all concerned.

“I appreciate the 21 years that Mike Shanahan has given to the organization as an assistant and head coach, and the two Super Bowl wins in that time. His contributions hold a special place in Broncos history.”

So if Shanahan wanted to get out of town because he has something else cooking, what might it be?

Believe it or not, there’s speculation that Shanahan is trying to position himself for the Chargers job.

What’s that, you say? The Chargers are in the playoffs and they’ve made it clear that Norv Turner is coming back as head coach?

That was our reaction, too. But a highly-placed league source suspects that something is happening with Shanahan and San Diego.

In our book, it’s almost as unlikely as Shanahan coaching the Raiders. But we’ll continue to keep our eyes peeled on this one.

muse
12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I think that's PFT stirring shit.

I bloody well hope that's PFT stirring shit.

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
It's PFT stirring shit.

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Me thinks the Jets will make him an offer he can't refuse.

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 08:26 PM

Cut off the head of the Broncos' statue and put it in his bed?

Mike
12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I just don't think that Shanahan could exist long with AJ Smith and visa versa.

broken12
12-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Not sure here, shanny want to be the end all, neither of the two teams wannta give that up, i seen the jets are willing to allow a head coach with experience into personnel decisions!!

horsepig
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
cut off the head of the broncos' statue and put it in his bed?

lmfao

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2008, 08:32 PM
This is all agonizing. Shanahan with another AFC West team? Just shoot me.

That said--if the worst happens--I hope he takes Slowik with him if he was so damn important that he was willing to leave a town where he had everything to protect him.

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 08:35 PM
This is all agonizing. Shanahan with another AFC West team? Just shoot me.

That said--if the worst happens--I hope he takes Slowik with him if he was so damn important that he was willing to leave a town where he had everything to protect him.

Maybe Shanahan realized the problem was more the personnel not performing as opposed to the scheme.

That's the only explanation I can think of besides 'he was my friend.'

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 08:38 PM
For the right $$, Shanny would give up control.

also.....it would be a slap in Bowlens face.

Yeah, I could see it happening...

claymore
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
If its true, Mike goes from Stud to shit house In my book. I trust Mike, but so help me.

Northman
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I can see Shanny doing that. SD is a lot closer to a SB ring than Denver is at the moment. But, its PFT so im not buying into it yet.

claymore
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Also, if it happens we are fugged cause he groomed Cutler, knows his strengths and weaknesses.

SOB

Devilspawn
12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Shanahan going to another AFC West rival that would be a slap in the face of his ex-boss?

Bowlen's checks don't bounce, right?

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I can see Shanny doing that. SD is a lot closer to a SB ring than Denver is at the moment. But, its PFT so im not buying into it yet.

San Diego is on a downward slide if you ask me. If they don't cash it in this year I say it never happens for them with this group.

I'd still be livid to see him go there, however.

Benetto
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Its not happening....Shanahan in SD?

I can see him with the Jets...Easily. Definitely not SD. PFT is always stirring shit, and always coming up short. Adam Sheffter and a few others are the only "Speculators" I give credibility when coming out of left field with shit.

claymore
12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Its not happening....Shanahan in SD?

I can see him with the Jets...Easily. Definitely not SD. PFT is always stirring shit, and always coming up short. Adam Sheffter and a few others are the only "Speculators" I give credibility when coming out of left field with shit.
i HOPE HE GOES TO A COLLEGE TEAM. :DRUNK:

Benetto
12-30-2008, 08:58 PM
i HOPE HE GOES TO A COLLEGE TEAM. :DRUNK:
I always hear his name in Miami Hurricane conversations...I sure hope its not in the NFL.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 09:24 PM

Hopefully it's giving him full player control, something he clearly isn't very good with.

LRtagger
12-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I heard he is going to SD just so he doesnt have to coach against Darren Sproles anymore.

Simple Jaded
12-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Careful what you wish for, those that wanted Shanahan fired had to know that SD would be an option.

Shanahan would win a Superbowl with that team, he doesn't need to see eye-to-eye with the GM, the talent is already there and the personnel decisions are already made, all he'd have to do is coach.......and that's what he is best at.

Mike Shanahan and AJ Smith? Geeez.

Btw, if Shanahan wanted out, this rumor would finally make sense of Bob Slowik being hired in the first place.......

Max Power
12-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I just don't think that Shanahan could exist long with AJ Smith and visa versa.

Especially with Shanahan wanting control of personnel decisions and that's AJ's domain.

Tned
12-30-2008, 09:51 PM
My guess is that NYJ or Dallas is far more likely.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 09:54 PM
one things for sure. if bowlen was twisting shanahans arm today to fire slowik and he refused then that only means that slowik is OUTTA HERE! :beer:

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I'll make a signature bet right now w/ anyone here that Shanny, if he coaches in 2009, will be a ...Detroit Lion.

The situation would be perfect for him for the following reasons:

1-It's not a gravytrain job. It'd be HIS success with HIS players. If he fails, eh. It wasDetroit. They are cursed. If he succeeds, he is again the genius everyone thought he was.

2-Speaking of HIS players, he already has a young RB a STUD young WR, a rookie OT and some other solid players on the O. AND he would get 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of this draft which would surely land him his QB project that he didn't get to see through w/ Cutler as well as another OT and whatever else he needs.

3-His name alone would make him a GOD in Detroit. My dad is a Lions fan and I've been to some games there. They are DYING for a real team. Shanny would breathe life into that dead franchise.

4-Do ya really think Detroit wouldn't give him GM duties?

So unless Detroit has all but signed their new guy, I really think there is a chance that Shanny goes East. Probability may not be high, but I'd be willing to change my signature for 30 days if I'm wrong. Any takers?

atwater27
12-30-2008, 10:15 PM
I don't even think Shanny will coach next season. In the NFl at least. His best bet would be college. I am not afraid of him at all if he goes to San Diego. His inneffectiveness here will not magically translate to instant success there.

Gamechanger
12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
if Shanny goes to SD, the monkey will be off your back that the Colts own you guys ;)

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
But they at least have Ron Rivera and good defensive players.

Tned
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't even think Shanny will coach next season. In the NFl at least. His best bet would be college. I am not afraid of him at all if he goes to San Diego. His inneffectiveness here will not magically translate to instant success there.

Yea, that's what Al Davis said. :lol:

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
If I was Shanny, I'd take a 3 year vacation.

Bowlen is on the hook for his contract if he "doesn't" coach in the NFL for the next 3 years.

Almost 7 mil a year to do nothing?

Good work if you can get it.

CrazyHorse
12-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe Shanahan will go to SD to purposely self destruct the team into abysmal failure.
After they are in an irrecoverable state and our defense beefs up he comes back and we kick SD's ass.
We can only hope.

ikillz0mbies
12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm not surprised that "rumors" of Shanahan going to San Diego. Of course there will be word about going to the team the Broncos and its fans hate the most.

Pool
12-31-2008, 12:31 AM
If Shanny goes to another team, can he take Cutler???

Cutler is .500 so far as a starter.

NightTrainLayne
12-31-2008, 01:08 AM

What the Hell are you smoking?

nmbroncosfan
12-31-2008, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jerry Jones fires Wade Phillips and Shanahan goes to Dallas.

nmbroncosfan
12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
If Shanahan wants to coach he will be hired within the next two days

ikillz0mbies
12-31-2008, 01:19 AM

Wow....Shanahan gets fired and you're talking about getting Cutler out of Denver? I'd like to hear your suggestions of a QB replacement. Its been said here dozens of times, if Denver had a decent defense, he would be above .500. Granted that he has made costly mistakes, but I can't think of any other young QB who goes into games with his entire team on his shoulders.

The guy plays with heart and passion and is a leader for this team. Where are Vince Young and Matt Leinart? Oh that's right, sitting their asses on the bench in favor of old QB's.

Simple Jaded
12-31-2008, 01:56 AM

Actually, he's not, I'm not surprised that you're not intelligent enough to know that.......

Simple Jaded
12-31-2008, 01:58 AM
If I was Shanny, I'd take a 3 year vacation.

Bowlen is on the hook for his contract if he "doesn't" coach in the NFL for the next 3 years.

Almost 7 mil a year to do nothing?

Good work if you can get it.

Hasn't Shanahan wasted enough of Bowlen's money?.......

red98
12-31-2008, 02:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jerry Jones fires Wade Phillips and Shanahan goes to Dallas.

It could happen in the next 48hrs. How pissed would Wade Phillips be to get replaced by Shanny twice!

DenBronx
12-31-2008, 02:51 AM
i think mike wants out of the afc west. teams like washington, dallas, ny jets and maybe even cleveland would be inticing to him. whatever happens though i think mike will most certainly wait till after the playoffs and possibly not coach at all and take 3 years of guaranteed pay.

tomjonesrocks
12-31-2008, 04:07 AM
This article insinuates Shanahan's refusal to fire Slowik is all a ploy to wind up in Dallas (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-shanahan123008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Case for Shanahan sporting a Cowboys hat

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports 4 hours, 19 minutes ago

Yahoo! Sports

Immediately before Mike Shanahan turned the Denver Broncos into back-to-back Super Bowl champions in the late 1990s and then proceeded to spend 14 years nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, the Broncos were coached by a laid-back, good-natured man who had made his reputation as a strong defensive coordinator.

Once again, Wade Phillips should be worried.

With Shanahan hitting the streets Tuesday after Broncos owner Pat Bowlen fired him, you have to think that the ears of Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones perked up more than the year he had plastic surgery.

Word around the NFL is that Shanahan will have another job soon and might have set up something before Bowlen dropped the axe. The Rocky Mountain News reported that Shanahan forced Bowlen’s hand by refusing to fire defensive coordinator Bob Slowik.

It’s odd given that Shanahan has treated defensive coordinators like Kleenex in recent years (three in the past three seasons) and lends credence to the notion that Shanahan has another option.

Meanwhile, Jones has told anyone who will listen that he’s not changing coaches. He has said it more than once, including before the end of the season and again after it. Furthermore, neither of the other high-priced coaches on the market, Bill Cowher and Mike Holmgren, fit for Jones and the Cowboys.

But it doesn’t take long to realize that Shanahan is a perfect fit for what ails the football team from the other D city that celebrates the ranching life.
ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time for Jones to cowboy up and herd in the stray bronco. Or else Jones can sit back and watch hundreds of millions of dollars he has spent on players and the new palace they play in go to waste.

While there are plenty of Shanahan detractors who claim that he has been nothing special since John Elway was his quarterback, those people don’t get the big picture. Here’s a quick list of why Shanahan should be so compelling:

He’s a disciplinarian

In just about every tangible way, Shanahan is the anti-Phillips. Shanahan is uptight and combative, almost to a fault. He doesn’t tolerate fools. In that way, he can rein in the many egos that have run over Phillips. Just as important, Phillips is kidding himself with the idea that he’ll regain control of the locker room.

On Monday, Phillips told Dallas media: “If it means being more demanding, more whatever, I have to get it done.” The follow-up question to that was how Phillips can do that while being true to himself.

“My personality is probably not going to change as much as what you ask them to do … My personality of looking like I’m laid back all the time, that’s not going to change,” Phillips said.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t take an MBA from Harvard to understand that it’s hard for any manager to control employees once they know you’re not a tough guy. Phillips can ask for anything he wants. He’s just not going to get it when he really needs it.

Shanahan will. Or he’ll put his foot somewhere way up somebody’s backside until he does.

Shanahan is a larger than life personality

During Jones’ 20 years with the Cowboys, his best success has come with the likes of Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells riding herd over the collection of stars that Jones likes to assemble.

Shanahan is cut from the same cloth as Johnson and Parcells, bowing to no one. In Phillips, the Cowboys have a guy who didn’t command as much respect as offensive coordinator Jason Garrett when HBO’s “Hard Knocks” was taping the team in training camp.

Shanahan already has Terrell Owens’ respect

When Owens was on the open market in 2006, the Broncos were the only team that brought him in for a look. That was after Shanahan expressed interest. Ultimately, Shanahan refused to pay the price Owens got from Dallas, but Shanahan at least paid his respect to Owens. That will go a long way with getting Owens to be on the same page as Shanahan. While it might not work over the long term (nothing usually does with Owens), it certainly could work in the next season or two when Dallas needs to win or risk wasting the talent Jones has collected.

Shanahan knows offense

Be it Owens, quarterback Tony Romo, tight end Jason Witten or whoever, none of them can question Shanahan’s ability to game-plan or call plays. Even with the limited squad Shanahan had to work with this season in Denver, he could run plays and put pressure on opposing teams.

Furthermore, when Shanahan is at his best, he’s a run-first play-caller, and the Cowboys have a run-first team. Armed with backs Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice running behind that big offensive line featuring Flozell Adams and Leonard Davis, Shanahan has a good mix of players to operate his type of game. Yes, the pass blocking is suspect, but Shanahan has the ideas and the tools to cover that up.

Shanahan can’t ask for control over personnel

Unlike Cowher and Holmgren, who both want to buy the groceries, Shanahan can’t do that right now. Shanahan’s biggest problem as a coach was Shanahan the general manager. He botched the draft and self-destructed in free agency. Shanahan also mangled his defense year after year by changing coordinators at the drop of a hat.

In that way, he fits with Jones, who refuses to give up control over personnel. Not that Jones has been brilliant with the draft or free agency (he has yet to win a playoff game since Johnson was picking the players), but there’s no question that the Cowboys are a talented bunch. This is the same team that went 13-3 in 2007 and looked like it could roll to the Super Bowl before being upset by the New York Giants.

In other words, even if Shanahan wanted to be in charge of players, there isn’t much for him to do. Dallas is ready-made to win.

And as Shanahan showed in the late 1990s, he can win with a good team.

Even if he has to run over Phillips to get the gig.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Hasn't Shanahan wasted enough of Bowlen's money?.......

I think the 2 SB rings and all the merchandising and ticket sales that followed prolly mae Patty some bank. It was Pat's choice. He signed the contracts.

WARHORSE
12-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Dallas with Shanahan equals superbowl.

He has all the parts, including THREE awesome runningbacks to go with the WRs, the QB, and the defense.

Im gonna puke if he decides to coach there.

Rest assured Jerry Jones is on his private jet, then his private limo, pulling up to Mikes driveway, knocking on the door:

"HEYYYYYYYYY Mike! Whats goin on?? I just happened to be in the neighborhood, and thought Id stop by! Did you know Im getting ready to open the biggest stadium in the history of man?"

claymore
12-31-2008, 08:29 AM

Great start, this is the worst fricken post ever.

roomemp
12-31-2008, 09:06 AM
The Shanny era is over......Let us all embrace the change. I am so upset to see Shanny go but I think the change needed to be made. I am proud of our owner Mr Bowlen for making the move. Mr. Bowlen has proven to all of us that he is more committed to the Organization and to winning as opposed to one person. Time to move on. Our offense is still young and very talented.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised to see him go to the Jets, Chiefs or Chargers. Fans in Dallas are calling on Jones to consider him there too.

Pool
12-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Great start, this is the worst fricken post ever.

It`s people like you that make new people like me NEVER want to post on message boards.

Shazam!
12-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Your response makes longstanding members not want to read posts from new members.

roomemp
12-31-2008, 11:12 AM
It`s people like you that make new people like me NEVER want to post on message boards.

This board is full of very intelligent diehard Broncos fans. You need to explain your rational when making such a post

Nomad
12-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Like they said on Fox Sports Radio yesterday, Shanahan will hold a grudge against Bowlen for this (which I dont blame Bowlen but Shanny himself for a lousy job the last 3 years). It wouldn't surprise me if Shanahan went to SD because they have all the pieces which Shanahan has proven he can take a team who has all the pieces but can't rebuild a team! Plus why not join Rivers and co because Shanahan couldn't beat them fair and square the last 3 years.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Like they said on Fox Sports Radio yesterday, Shanahan will hold a grudge against Bowlen for this (which I dont blame Bowlen but Shanny himself for a lousy job the last 3 years). It wouldn't surprise me if Shanahan went to SD because they have all the pieces which Shanahan has proven he can take a team who has all the pieces but can't rebuild a team! Plus why not join Rivers and co because Shanahan couldn't beat them fair and square the last 3 years.

Shanahan also LOVES LT. He loves shaming the Raiders, if he goes to the Chargers he could play us and the Raiders twice a year. Same with going to the Chiefs.