PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton: Denver makes sense for Cowher

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Denver owner Pat Bowlen has a major dilemma in trying to replace Mike Shananan. In firing Shanahan on Tuesday, Bowlen must now revamp the entire football operation.

In the Mile High City, Shanahan stood head and shoulders above everything for pro football. He was not only the coach, he was the general manager. He had more power than just about any coach in football, and it's going to be hard to replace that.

The easy solution will be the costliest and that might be a problem for Bowlen, who reportedly owes Shanahan $20 million over the next three years. Bill Cowher would be seriously interested in the job should Bowlen call. Though Cowher has told the Cleveland Browns he's not coaching there and the Jets are willing to do anything to get him as their coach, the former Steelers coach could see the Broncos as a fit.To coach in 2009, Cowher must have everything in line. First, he wants big money, possibly $8 million to $9 million a year. Second, he wants the ability to bring in some of his people into the front office. Third, he wants to have an established quarterback similar to what he left in Pittsburgh with Ben Roethlisberger.
The Broncos have all three of his needs available if the organization can afford him. Jay Cutler is one of the best young quarterbacks in the game. He threw for 4,526 yards this season and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl.

It is pretty obvious Bowlen didn't fire Shanahan the coach. He fired Shanahan the general manager. The Broncos have been among the franchises that have had the fewest number of starters out of their draft. Shanahan has either had to change defensive coordinators or change starters on defense to make things better. Instead, things got worse, forcing Bowlen to spend big money on free agents who often didn't work out.

In a season in which the league called around 1.7 holding penalties a game, Shanahan had a light defensive line that was pushed around by running teams. Those problems might force Bowlen to offer big money to lure defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, a free agent after this season. The Titan might cost $10 million a year or more.

An investment in Cowher could save in the long run. Cowher doesn't want to be like Shanahan and be the ultimate voice in personnel decisions. He simply wants to have people like he had in Pittsburgh to work with. Cowher knows the best system is one in which the coach and the personnel people can get on the same page.

If Bowlen doesn't go for Cowher, he will have to decide if he wants to go the general manager route in hiring Scott Pioli, who may be wooed by the Cleveland Browns. For a head coach, Bowlen also may look at assistants such as Jason Garrett of the Cowboys, Josh McDaniels of the Patriots or Steve Spagnuolo of the Giants.

One-stop shopping would involve Cowher. We'll see if he will make the call.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3800871

honz
12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
If we are able to bring in Cowher then I am okay with this firing. If not, then I think it will be bad news for Denver Bronco fans. As much as I don't like the Steelers, I think Cowher is one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL.

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
He is. And he'll bring a defensive mind to our team. He'll already have Jay who is kind of like Roethlisberger, and Marshall who is kind of like Hines Ward. He'll even have Eddie Royal who is like Santonio Holmes. He would instill a power run game probably, and he would be an upgrade on the defense. I'm okay with Cowher coming in. At least we know that he has what it takes to win in this league.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 07:51 PM
The only problem is that Cowher wanted more power in terms of player personnel decisions a la Mike Shannahan. I think it makes more sense to have a collective the way the Patriots do it.

Why fire Shanny and turn around and give Cowher the same power?

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 07:52 PM
The only problem is that Cowher wanted more power in terms of player personnel decisions a la Mike Shannahan. I think it makes more sense to have a collective the way the Patriots do it.

Did you read the article? He doesn't want the power that Shanny had...He just wants to coach and bring in a few front office people that he trusts.

Max Power
12-30-2008, 07:53 PM

According to the article, Cowher favors the collective way of doing it.

Cowher doesn't want to be like Shanahan and be the ultimate voice in personnel decisions. He simply wants to have people like he had in Pittsburgh to work with. Cowher knows the best system is one in which the coach and the personnel people can get on the same page.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM

That's the point. I don't think Cowher wants as much as Shanny did in that respect.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Did you read the article? He doesn't want the power that Shanny had...He just wants to coach and bring in a few front office people that he trusts.

I went back and read that. Sounds good.

But didn't he leave Pitt because he wanted more power?

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I went back and read that. Sounds good.

But didn't he leave Pitt because he wanted more power?

No. He wanted to go out on top after winning the SB. Take a break and spend time with his family IIRC.

xzn
We should not fire any offensive coaches. Get a defensive coach like Cowher or Spagnuolo!

Greatspirits
I'd take any one of those guys mentioned except Jason Garrett, I'm not sold on him just yet.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
No. He wanted to go out on top after winning the SB. Take a break and spend time with his family IIRC.
Then why have all the talks with the Pittsburg brass after the SB? Why not just come out and say, "I'm taking a break." (I know that is what he said, but the timing was wierd and there were reports of him making a power play.)

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
At least if you hire Cowher, you won't be wasting your $$.

He was a winner. Seemed to always lose great players and still find a way to win.

Haynesworth, yeah, we need to open the checkbook.

elsid13
12-30-2008, 08:05 PM
ESPin is just throwing shit on the wall again.

deacon
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Right now my two top candidates would be Cowher and Mariuci (not necessarily in that order).

I think it would be a huge mistake to go away from the west coast offense and Mooch fits the bill there.

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Think it would be nice--because you'd be replacing a proven great HC with a proven great HC--but what are the odds? It seems unimaginable this would happen. So many teams are interested in Cowher. Dallas, Washington, and others could be placing calls. I'm not holding my breath.

G_Money
12-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Cowher would instantly fix the run game and our pansy attitude on D.

It'd come at a pretty hefty price tag, but when Bowlen stops to consider how many tens of millions he's thrown away in free agency the price seems to look a lot more reasonable - especially to lock in the mirror universe version of Shanahan.

He's extremely vocal instead of silent and glaring, he coaches defense instead of offense, but both guys are as close as you can get to being playoff locks all the time and championship contenders.

Like I said, it'd fix what ails us.

My concern is what happens with plan B if Cowher for some reason decides not to come here?

Following Shanahan isn't quite like following Elway, but there are parallels, and Shanahan set the tone in EVERYTHING in the organization for 14 years. Following him is gonna be a man's job, not something for the weak of stomach.

The offseason got a whole lot crazier now.

~G

red98
12-30-2008, 08:28 PM

He left a year after winning the SB, going 8-8 in his final season.

G_Money
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
That was just because there's some unwritten rule that you have to stick around to defend your title, Red, otherwise you're abandoning your team.

So he did it, but you could tell his heart wasn't in it, and they struggled.

~G

WARHORSE
12-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Let me tell you something.

The Pittsburg defense is where its at because of the man thats STILL there running it.

Cowher is a motivator.

Thats it. The coordinators better be good.

fcspikeit
12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Pat would not have done this without having a plan... If it is Cowher he has already talked to him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tuna showed up in Denver...

Either way, I am not worried Pat has a plan, he wouldn't have fired a potential HOF coach without first having his replacement set..

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 09:46 PM
although im disgusted we fired shanahan, i've been begging for cowher since he has left. i really think cowher will bring a fire to this team again. especially on defense. cowher loves, loves, loves to pound the rock too. with a pro bowl quarter back and wr, i think he will concentrate heavily on the run game and fit the missing pieces of the puzzle on defense that shanahan failed to do.

IF we get cowher or maybe pete carrol this will be a smart move. anyone else it will be a failure.

also, i think it will be appealing for free agents to come here and play for cowher. cowher has already turned down the browns and i dont think he wants to go to the jets with qb issues. denver is in fact more suited for his style. i would love to have him as a coach. the draft and offseason will be very interesting if he lands here. i really just think that shanahan lost his marbles on defense, free agents and draft choices.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Pat would not have done this without having a plan... If it is Cowher he has already talked to him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tuna showed up in Denver...

Either way, I am not worried Pat has a plan, he wouldn't have fired a potential HOF coach without first having his replacement set..

good point on tuna but i think he will be in miami for a little while. i really think pat has already spoken with cowher. i dont think he would have done this this without having cowher in mind.

but man...it's still a pretty sad day. mikey did do alot for this organization. when you think of the broncos you automatically think of elway and shanahan. i seriously almost cried!

topscribe
12-30-2008, 09:57 PM
although im disgusted we fired shanahan, i've been begging for cowher since he has left. i really think cowher will bring a fire to this team again. especially on defense. cowher loves, loves, loves to pound the rock too. with a pro bowl quarter back and wr, i think he will concentrate heavily on the run game and fit the missing pieces of the puzzle on defense that shanahan failed to do.

IF we get cowher or maybe pete carrol this will be a smart move. anyone else it will be a failure.

also, i think it will be appealing for free agents to come here and play for cowher. cowher has already turned down the browns and i dont think he wants to go to the jets with qb issues. denver is in fact more suited for his style. i would love to have him as a coach. the draft and offseason will be very interesting if he lands here. i really just think that shanahan lost his marbles on defense, free agents and draft choices.

Come to think of it, Hillis would seem to be Cowher's type of running back.

I know, that's a bit off on a tangent, but the thought did hit me.

-----

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
i just think if hillis never would have been injured that shanahan would have still been here. we would have won that one last game.

i do wonder if cowher came would he keep the one cut/zone blocking style that shanahan used. hillis would fit very well though. we still need to look at shonn greene. would fit perfect! hillis and greene, now that's smash mouth football.

Tned
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
i just think if hillis never would have been injured that shanahan would have still been here. we would have won that one last game.

i do wonder if cowher came would he keep the one cut/zone blocking style that shanahan used.

Good chance your right about the Hillis injury.

With Cowher, it's hard to say about the zone blocking scheme.

A couple years ago, I would have said just about any coach that came in would likely abandon the ZBS, but in the last couple years quite a few teams have gone to some variation of it.

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 10:30 PM

PETE CARROL? He was an utter failure in the NFL. No thanks!

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 10:31 PM
cowher, hillis and this guy = pound the rock with success

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Dwt2eCUuQ

6.2 yards per carry and 17 td's in 2008.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 10:35 PM
PETE CARROL? He was an utter failure in the NFL. No thanks!

so was coach bill bilichick before he went to the patriots. :coffee:

Dreadnought
12-30-2008, 10:35 PM
No thanks to Cowher. Square peg - round hole. he'd blow up the offense I suspect

SR
12-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Our whole football team would do a complete 180 with Cowher. I think of all of the times I saw him on the sidelines screaming at everyone within range and how pissed off he always looked. THATS WHAT I WANT ON MY TEAM. Coaches like him, players like Ray Lewis, and talent like Haynesworth are what we NEED to fix our team. Hiring Cowher would be a MAJOR step in the right direction. Shanny wouldn't yell at people. He would just have that "I'm going to eat your children" look on his face when he was pissed. You can't motivate someone by staring them down.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Our whole football team would do a complete 180 with Cowher. I think of all of the times I saw him on the sidelines screaming at everyone within range and how pissed off he always looked. THATS WHAT I WANT ON MY TEAM. Coaches like him, players like Ray Lewis, and talent like Haynesworth are what we NEED to fix our team. Hiring Cowher would be a MAJOR step in the right direction. Shanny wouldn't yell at people. He would just have that "I'm going to eat your children" look on his face when he was pissed. You can't motivate someone by staring them down.

LOL at the eat your children remark. very true. i actually thought that was scarier than screaming at them though.

im going to miss the red flag challange standoffs though. no one in the nfl was better at it.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM

It was about money. Don't be fooled by the feel good stroies. He didn't get the bank he wanted so he left.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 10:44 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/untitled-15.jpg
get ready to wet the bed nate webster.

SR
12-30-2008, 10:45 PM
That scares me more than Shanahan's look to be completely honest.

Dreadnought
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/untitled-15.jpg
get ready to wet the bed nate webster.

LMAO! Whoever is next I hope they never actually meet Nate Webster, he should already be gone. Technically, I guess we'll have to hire somebody new to cut him though.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
That scares me more than Shanahan's look to be completely honest.

gruden comes close.

who wins the scariest coach face?

Dreadnought
12-30-2008, 10:51 PM
who wins the scariest coach face?

Norv, but lets not go there.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Norv, but lets not go there.

i think al davis wins the near death face for owners.

SR
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Norv's normal face is probably the worst looking. But a forced facial expression...gotta give that one to Chucky or Cowher.

broncobryce
12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
And guess who would be starting RB with Cowher?
Thats right, Mr. PEYTON HILLIS!!!! :salute:
EDIT: Top stole my thunder, but what the hell.

red98
12-30-2008, 11:16 PM
That was just because there's some unwritten rule that you have to stick around to defend your title, Red, otherwise you're abandoning your team.

So he did it, but you could tell his heart wasn't in it, and they struggled.

~G

Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells got away with breaking that rule. :D

Seriously you're right, his heart wasn't in it that last year.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 11:17 PM
cuz they wouldn't give him his money.

Broncos Mtnman
12-30-2008, 11:22 PM
ESPN just reported that Cowher has turned down the JETS. He said he simply doesn't want to coach in 2009.

Time will tell....

ikillz0mbies
12-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't mind Cowher. He will light up a fire under every player's belly. The weapons he had on offense in Pittsburgh is similar to what's already in Denver. The only thing he would change would be the defense of course. But what worries me is if he were to be the new HC, there is a good chance the offensive staff will have a new look and the ZBS might not be used.

Dreadnought
12-30-2008, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't mind Cowher. He will light up a fire under every player's belly. The weapons he had on offense in Pittsburgh is similar to what's already in Denver. The only thing he would change would be the defense of course. But what worries me is if he were to be the new HC, there is a good chance the offensive staff will have a new look and the ZBS might not be used.

Exactly - I think he'd screw with what is in fact working here. I also do not believe yelling and screaming = Leadership. Its too often a cheesey substitute for the real article. Les Steckel, Rod Marinelli, and Frank Kush all tried that crap too and it was a freakin disaster. Tony Dungy, Tom Landry, and Bill Belichick all won Superbowls without ranting and raving a whole lot.

Magnificent Seven
12-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Exactly - I think he'd screw with what is in fact working here. I also do not believe yelling and screaming = Leadership. Its too often a cheesey substitute for the real article. Les Steckel, Rod Marinelli, and Frank Kush all tried that crap too and it was a freakin disaster. Tony Dungy, Tom Landry, and Bill Belichick all won Superbowls without ranting and raving a whole lot.

Don't forget Bill Walsh!

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 11:45 PM
Per rotoworld

The Jets announced late Tuesday that CBS analyst Bill Cowher has withdrawn himself from consideration for the team's head-coaching vacancy.

"After reaching out to coach Cowher's representatives, we were informed tonight that he is not a candidate for the position," the team said in a statement. The sides never even made it to discussions of money or control. Cowher has been quick to turn down both the Browns and Jets and clearly is not interested in coaching next season, despite the New York media's best efforts to make it seem like he was. Cowher is likely to return in 2010.

Source: New York Daily News

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 11:45 PM
ESPN just reported that Cowher has turned down the JETS. He said he simply doesn't want to coach in 2009.

Time will tell....

isnt it ironic that cowher was actually going to meet with the jets until the broncos position came open? it was cowhers agent that turned down the offer in thinking denver would not only give him a better offer but more control. like clayton said, denver is better suited for cowher. for bowlen to not think twice about firing shanahan, something had to have been planned.

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 11:46 PM
I like Cowhers style.

We won't get him.

But I like a guy that isn't afraid to let it out.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Per rotoworld

The Jets announced late Tuesday that CBS analyst Bill Cowher has withdrawn himself from consideration for the team's head-coaching vacancy.

"After reaching out to coach Cowher's representatives, we were informed tonight that he is not a candidate for the position," the team said in a statement. The sides never even made it to discussions of money or control. Cowher has been quick to turn down both the Browns and Jets and clearly is not interested in coaching next season, despite the New York media's best efforts to make it seem like he was. Cowher is likely to return in 2010.

Source: New York Daily News

we could try a one year deal with bates. if it doesnt pan out then look for cowher in 2010.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Schefter said he ain't coaching in 09 and it's no lock he coaches in 2010. he said the meeting w/ NYJ was out of respect for the franchise.

ikillz0mbies
12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm really surprised on how quick the firing of Shanahan was. I understand that other coaches in NFL got canned immediately after games in week 17, but Shanahan was much better than those coaches. So, as previously suggested in this thread, it does make me wonder if this quick firing of Shanahan was part of a plan that Bowlen has had for who knows how long.

I would think that if Shanahan were take the Broncos in the playoffs, he would stay. If not, then Bowlen already had a Plan B in mind, first step being firing Shanahan.

DenBronx
12-31-2008, 12:13 AM
Schefter said he ain't coaching in 09 and it's no lock he coaches in 2010. he said the meeting w/ NYJ was out of respect for the franchise.

he said that in retrospect to the browns, not the jets. and it was reported that cowher said he would return in 2009 IF the offer was right for him and that was before he knew the broncos job would be available. i think at least now he will take a serious look at it.

DenBronx
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm really surprised on how quick the firing of Shanahan was. I understand that other coaches in NFL got canned immediately after games in week 17, but Shanahan was much better than those coaches. So, as previously suggested in this thread, it does make me wonder if this quick firing of Shanahan was part of a plan that Bowlen has had for who knows how long.

I would think that if Shanahan were take the Broncos in the playoffs, he would stay. If not, then Bowlen already had a Plan B in mind, first step being firing Shanahan.

i think bowlen warned shanny privately. but we all knew he was pretty irked after last year.

JONtheBRONCO
12-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Ugh (in a frustrated, I didn't get my way, high school, bratty, girl tone of voice)....

tomjonesrocks
12-31-2008, 12:50 AM
good point on tuna but i think he will be in miami for a little while. i really think pat has already spoken with cowher. i dont think he would have done this this without having cowher in mind.

but man...it's still a pretty sad day. mikey did do alot for this organization. when you think of the broncos you automatically think of elway and shanahan. i seriously almost cried!

That's really a tough thing. Shanahan *is* the Denver Broncos. He won the only Super Bowls for the team, and at the moment the idea of another head coach is just foreign. There was a time where no one questioned Shanahan was the best head coach in the NFL. And here we are now. Fired.

Of course we all know this day would come, but it's still shocking and actually for *this* season, doesn't feel right. When you see the last decade on paper though--all the bad defenses, the 1 playoff win--the bad drafts and especially bad free agency signings--it does make some sense--but still--I don't know how you suitably replace Mike Shanahan. I'd have really been happier with a Slowik firing and a promising new D-Cooridinator (even though we've gone through several of late)--but Bowlen apparently has other ideas.

It's really going to be strange being a fan of a team with a new Head Coach. I'm just shocked and astounded.

I really hope this doesn't wind up with Mike slamming the Broncos time and time again (a la the Raiders) in interviews while with whatever team hires him, etc. Will just be sad to see. I hope there won't be bitterness after a time. Frankly, I also hope he is completely unsuccessful with the next team. If he has a career revival and winds up in the Super Bowl coaching another team that will be painful.

We will see. Breaking up is hard to do.

Cutler's reaction is really gut wrenching though. You feel like the guys didn't want this. Will zone blocking remain? The current not-broken offense? So many unknowns.

Tned
12-31-2008, 12:58 AM
I really hope this doesn't wind up with Mike slamming the Broncos time and time again (a la the Raiders) in interviews while with whatever team hires him, etc. Will just be sad to see. I hope there won't be bitterness after a time. Frankly, I also hope he is completely unsuccessful with the next team. If he has a career revival and winds up in the Super Bowl coaching another team that will be painful.

We will see. Breaking up is hard to do.

I'll be surprised if Shanahan does that. He is a class guy, and he knows and has said that success and failure ultimately rests with him as head coach.

red98
12-31-2008, 01:12 AM
If he has a career revival and winds up in the Super Bowl coaching another team that will be painful.

I give him an 80% chance of doing just that.

G_Money
12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Why painful? He's always gonna be a Bronco first.

Tuna was always a Giant. Even when he was a Patriot and a Jet and a Cowboy and now a Dolphin, he was always a Giant.

"See Tuna's doin' it again? That's our boy right there."

Shanahan will always be a Bronco. He just couldn't keep coaching and GMing and Vice Presidenting them.

~G

SR
12-31-2008, 01:53 AM
If indeed he was asked to relinquish his additional duties with the Broncos and declined led to him being fired ends up being the story, I think that will kind of shed some light on his character. Maybe the guy is just a complete money and power hungry control freak. Mike Shanahan the head coach is a genius and there have been few better through the history of the NFL, but I think all of his additional duties took away from his coaching. It didn't diminish his ability as a coach, but I think it was just too much at once. Coaching in itself is a demanding job. All of the positions he filled were all demanding on their own. Doing them all at once has to be tough. He relied on his coordinators and assistants too much. when you do that with incompetent coordinators and assistants, you fail. Had he been able to rely on himself more and be more of a pure coach, I think the tune would be a little different today.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Excellent...now we've moved on to insulting his character. Stay Classy Denver!

SmilinAssasSin27
12-31-2008, 07:28 AM
he said that in retrospect to the browns, not the jets. and it was reported that cowher said he would return in 2009 IF the offer was right for him and that was before he knew the broncos job would be available. i think at least now he will take a serious look at it.

No. It was the Jets. he flat out refused the Browns. He also made references to being offered the Empire State bldg. Last I checked that wasn't in Ohio.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
I would be happy to have Cowher here but I don't think it's going to happen. Bowlen got rid of a head coach/GM. I think he hires a GM and then allows him to pick a head coach. I honestly wouldn't be suprsied to see Elway get seriuos consideration for the GM postion.

Ziggy
12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
The one thing that I love about Cower is that he preaches toughness. No matter how the Steelers finished the season when he coached there, you always knew you were in for a dogfight when you played Pittsburgh.