PDA

View Full Version : The List

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Post other possibilities and I will add them. It doesn't matter if they're long shots or totally crazy - if they have any validity, we'll put them on the list.

Bold text denotes they are being interviewed or have a strong likelihood of being interviewed. In no particular order:

Brian Billick

Bill Cowher

John Gruden (if fired)

Wade Phillips (if fired and if Bowlen can hire a coach he himself fired)

Eric Mangini

Rod Marinelli

Mike Martz

Jason Garrett

Kevin Gilbride

Jim Johnson

Romeo Crennell

Pete Carroll

Herm Edwards (if fired)

Marty Schottenheimer (as gm only - Bill Parcells role)

Mike Tice

Steve Mariucci

Steve Spagnuolo

Rex Ryan

Gary Kubiak (if fired)

Kyle Shanahan (oh god, that would make Shanahan's head explode)

Jeremy Bates

Josh McDaniels

Dennis Green

Jim Schwartz

Mike Leach

Bob Stoops

Dave McGinnis

Raheem Morris

Mike Heimerdinger

Karl Dorrell

Jim Harbaugh

Urban Meyer

Rich Dennison

more to come...

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Steve Spagnola Giants D-Coord

Jim Johnson - Eagles D Coord

Rex Ryan - Ravens D Coord

Gary Kubiak (if fired)

Kyle Shanahan - Texans O-Coord

Even Jeremy Bates is a possibility if you ask me.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Remember, Schefter reported Bowlen wants a young offensive minded coach.

Enter Josh McDaniel.

Tned
12-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Now that would be ironic. :laugh:

Tned
12-30-2008, 07:40 PM

Enter Josh McDaniel.

Mentioned above, but Garrett would fill that bill. Jones might fire Phillips just to hang on to him, though.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM

Enter Josh McDaniel.
Or Jason Garrett.

But Pioli and McDaniel would be a nice pair.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I think Jason Garrett has lost a lot of credibility this year when his own offense turned on him, and questioned the decisions he's made in the last half of the season.

Buff
12-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Enter Josh McDaniel.

That was just Schefter's speculation... I think it makes more sense to bring in a defensive mind and keep Bates on as offensive coordinator.

muse
12-30-2008, 07:46 PM

Enter Josh McDaniel.

I don't really agree with that. I think we should leave the O as is and get a defensive HC. But there's nothing we can do about it.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
That was just Schefter's speculation... I think it makes more sense to bring in a defensive mind and keep Bates on as offensive coordinator.
I pretty much want to do whatever we have to to get Scott Pioli and I don't care who the coach is the first time around. Dynasties are made in the front office.

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Forgot about Jim Johnson, I'd hire him in a minute.

EastCoastBronco
12-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Steve Spagnola Giants D-Coord

Jim Johnson - Eagles D Coord

Rex Ryan - Ravens D Coord

Gary Kubiak (if fired)

Even Jeremy Bates is a possibility if you ask me.

I second the motion for Spagnola (if available) We could at least be assured that the D would be rebuilt properly.
Second choice has to be The Chin (Cowher).

muse
12-30-2008, 07:57 PM
I'd go for Spagnolo. I think that our Defensive players fit what he'd like to do.

Would Cowher bring the 3-4 with him? Also as far as I know he likes his power running game which isn't really suited to our O (correct me if I'm wrong). Those two points make me hesistant about bringing him in.

LoyalSoldier
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't mind Crennell as a defensive coordinator, but I don't want him as a head coach.

broken12
12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
we got to go defensive keep as much of the offenseive staff that wants to stay, but gotta go defense, chucky would be a good fiery coach for both, but really who do we want running our defense. maybe ron rivera, rex ryan i would love could probably get lewis or suggs with.

broken12
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
how about the dc for the dolphins!

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
I'd be furious if we hired 3/4 of the names on that list. And I don't think you can replace a hall-of-fame coach with a never-proven offensive coordinator.

Cowher is really the only true even replacement. Anyone else is either unproven or a downgrade.

BroncoAV06
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Will be interesting for sure. Have players in place on offense, just need a healthy back. Guess we will find out really how much Shany was behind the offense next year.

If we bring in a quality front office staff then I don't think you have to worry to much about a young coach, have to start somewhere! Baltimore with Harbaugh, Miami with Sparano, solid front office with a young and or unproven coach.

LRtagger
12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
I'd go for Spagnolo. I think that our Defensive players fit what he'd like to do.

Would Cowher bring the 3-4 with him? Also as far as I know he likes his power running game which isn't really suited to our O (correct me if I'm wrong). Those two points make me hesistant about bringing him in.

And the fact that Cowher wants complete control of personnel decisions which IMO was one of the main factors in Shanny getting canned. I dont think we go with Cowher.

BroncoAV06
12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
And the fact that Cowher wants complete control of personnel decisions which IMO was one of the main factors in Shanny getting canned. I dont think we go with Cowher.

He wants teh ability to bring in people he knows, not full controll at least thats what I understand so far.

To coach in 2009, Cowher must have everything in line. First, he wants big money, possibly $8 million to $9 million a year. Second, he wants the ability to bring some of his people into the front office. Third, he wants to have an established quarterback similar to what he left in Pittsburgh with Ben Roethlisberger.

The Broncos have all three of his needs available -- if the organization can afford him. Jay Cutler is one of the best young quarterbacks in the game. He threw for 4,526 yards this season and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl.
(From Clayton's artical)

dogfish
12-30-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd be furious if we hired 3/4 of the names on that list. And I don't think you can replace a hall-of-fame coach with a never-proven offensive coordinator.

Cowher is really the only true even replacement. Anyone else is either unproven or a downgrade.

enh. . . when shanahan came to denver, HE was an unproven offensive coordinator with a handful of games as a HC under his belt, and that worked out all right-- hell, bill walsh was an unproven coordinator at one point too. . . look what first-time head coaches have done in baltimore, atlanta and miami this year, and atlanta had a first-time GM as well. . .

another name that should be added to the list is mike holmgren. . . reports have it that he will take a year off because he made a promise to his wife and she has his balls in a jar, but you never know. . . he's a west coast guy with ties to the walsh coaching tree, he has a super bowl ring and a recent appearance with another team, and a reputation for developing young QBs. . . not saying that he'd be my choice, but i do think he's another possiblity. . .

D1g1tal j1m
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
I throw my hat into the ring and accept the challenge.

I kick but in Madden Franchise Mode as I ring up Championship every year, I'm in year 2011 of my dynasty and I will apply this knowledge to the position.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Last I heard, Phil Fulmer isn't gonna be busy next fall.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 10:24 PM
I'd be furious if we hired 3/4 of the names on that list. And I don't think you can replace a hall-of-fame coach with a never-proven offensive coordinator. Cowher is really the only true even replacement. Anyone else is either unproven or a downgrade.

Personally, I think that's who you have to replace him with. When Shanny was hired, he was the fresh, young genius w/ worlds of potential. Now that he is gone, why hire some retread who will be fired in 1.5 years if we don't win immediately. I'd rather kid some youth a chance to do their own thing.

And Cowher isn't THAT good of a coach.

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Last I heard, Phil Fulmer isn't gonna be busy next fall.

NO to Fat Phil!

roomemp
12-30-2008, 10:27 PM
enh. . . when shanahan came to denver, HE was an unproven offensive coordinator with a handful of games as a HC under his belt, and that worked out all right-- hell, bill walsh was an unproven coordinator at one point too. . . look what first-time head coaches have done in baltimore, atlanta and miami this year, and atlanta had a first-time GM as well. . .

another name that should be added to the list is mike holmgren. . . reports have it that he will take a year off because he made a promise to his wife and she has his balls in a jar, but you never know. . . he's a west coast guy with ties to the walsh coaching tree, he has a super bowl ring and a recent appearance with another team, and a reputation for developing young QBs. . . not saying that he'd be my choice, but i do think he's another possiblity. . .

Shanny was the O-coordinator for the 94 Super Bowl Champion 49ers. He was already a proven offensive master.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
NO to Fat Phil!

Don't hate. I have it on good authority that Phil will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win games.

Tned
12-30-2008, 10:37 PM

That is the very reason that this firing has shocked people around the league. On paper, and based on past history, there is no one out there that is the 'equal' to Shanahan, with the possible exception of Cowher.

For that reason, he likely does go with a young offensive coordinator. Everyone else on the market, besides Cowher, are coaches that have failed in one, or more likely, multiple cities.

Short of hiring Alex Gibbs or Cowher, my money is on someone's offensive coordinator. While we clearly need serious help on defense, I think he will want someone offensive minded to get the most out of Cutler, Marshal, Royal, Clady, etc., which is the future of this team. Then, get a defensive coordinator in to focus on the defense.

Dreadnought
12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Lane Kiffen would have been fun. We could have continued the tradition of a HC with a burning hatred for Greasy Al.

I really, absolutely, 100% don't want Cowher. I might be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time, but I have a bad feeling about that. I mean, I'd take him over Denny Green of course, but I don't see it as a winner.

dogfish
12-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Shanny was the O-coordinator for the 94 Super Bowl Champion 49ers. He was already a proven offensive master.

on bill walsh's team, with a bunch of HOF personnel. . . besides, being proven as a coordinator isn't the same thing as being a proven winner as a head coach-- look at guys like romeo crennel, norv turner, cam cameron, and how many other names could we come up with?

PatricktheDookie
12-31-2008, 04:28 PM
bump

G_Money
12-31-2008, 04:46 PM
That is the very reason that this firing has shocked people around the league. On paper, and based on past history, there is no one out there that is the 'equal' to Shanahan, with the possible exception of Cowher.

For that reason, he likely does go with a young offensive coordinator. Everyone else on the market, besides Cowher, are coaches that have failed in one, or more likely, multiple cities.

Short of hiring Alex Gibbs or Cowher, my money is on someone's offensive coordinator. While we clearly need serious help on defense, I think he will want someone offensive minded to get the most out of Cutler, Marshal, Royal, Clady, etc., which is the future of this team. Then, get a defensive coordinator in to focus on the defense.

The problem is then you're relying on a young offensive mind to also have enough ties to great defensive schemers to bring in a guy who can make the whole thing work. Unless you want the Broncos front office to pick his coordinators for him too, which most head coaches don't appreciate.

I guess I've just spent the last eon with a great offensive mind who can craft thousand yard rushers out of papier mache and get 4000 yard passing seasons from guys with unabomber beards, but was unable to find even one person to run a defense that could get those offensive teams anywhere in the playoffs.

I'd rather go the other way. When Dungy was hired by the Colts there were some howls that he would screw up their offense, but that didn't happen.

I'm willing to wait and see either way, but I'd rather think a new defensive HC might want to salvage some of our offensive coaching talent and clean house on D to replace them with guys who know defense.

I'm much less certain that an offensive HC would want to keep any of our guys who are used to a different scheme, and who might also not have the ties to bring in a defensive coordinator worth a damn either.

~G

CoachChaz
12-31-2008, 04:56 PM
The only name that would absolutely make me vomit would be Dennis Franchione. Since that isnt ever going to happen, I have faith that Bowlen will make an educated and proper choice.

My list of preferences is short. First and foremost, I'd like Bill Cowher. If nothing else, he would bring a change in attitude. That alone would improve a team that has become VERY soft. Add his ability to get the right people in place and I'm interested.

My second choice would be Jim Johnson. Hire a solid O coordinator to run that side and let Jim focus on defense and the world will be a better place.

After those two, the rest are solid choices, but nothing I'd drool over.

G_Money
12-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Spagnoulo looks to me to be the defensive version of Shanahan's path: Got his work done in the trenches with a perennial contender (Philly vs Denver) then went to a Super Bowl winner to finish his doctorate and lock himself in with a coordinator mastermind title(NY vs SF) and is now an extremely hot coaching candidate.

He'd be on my list too, Coach. I'm interested in Schwartz too, but he's not on the same level for me.

~G

Tned
12-31-2008, 05:07 PM
The problem is then you're relying on a young offensive mind to also have enough ties to great defensive schemers to bring in a guy who can make the whole thing work. Unless you want the Broncos front office to pick his coordinators for him too, which most head coaches don't appreciate.

I guess I've just spent the last eon with a great offensive mind who can craft thousand yard rushers out of papier mache and get 4000 yard passing seasons from guys with unabomber beards, but was unable to find even one person to run a defense that could get those offensive teams anywhere in the playoffs.

I'd rather go the other way. When Dungy was hired by the Colts there were some howls that he would screw up their offense, but that didn't happen.

I'm willing to wait and see either way, but I'd rather think a new defensive HC might want to salvage some of our offensive coaching talent and clean house on D to replace them with guys who know defense.

I'm much less certain that an offensive HC would want to keep any of our guys who are used to a different scheme, and who might also not have the ties to bring in a defensive coordinator worth a damn either.

~G

Good points.

Bowlen said all coaches would be replaced. However, if a defensive minded head coach (current DC or former defensive minded head coach) comes in, he might opt to keep Bates and some others.

I personally would like to see Bates and Turner stay.

So, I think a lot comes down to whether or not Bowlen is serious about cleaning house with the coaching staff, or if it is more a case that he won't dictate that any coaches stay.

If Bowlen is set on cleaning house completely, then I think he gets an offensive mind, because he is going to want to make sure that Cutler, Marshall and company continue to mature.

If Bowlen like's what he has seen from Bates, Turner and some of the other offensive coaches, and would like (even if he doesn't dictate) that the offensive coaches and philosiphy stay intact, then I think he goes with someone defensive minded.

Tned
12-31-2008, 05:09 PM
The only name that would absolutely make me vomit would be Dennis Franchione. Since that isnt ever going to happen, I have faith that Bowlen will make an educated and proper choice.

My list of preferences is short. First and foremost, I'd like Bill Cowher. If nothing else, he would bring a change in attitude. That alone would improve a team that has become VERY soft. Add his ability to get the right people in place and I'm interested.

My second choice would be Jim Johnson. Hire a solid O coordinator to run that side and let Jim focus on defense and the world will be a better place.

After those two, the rest are solid choices, but nothing I'd drool over.

Maybe if the team practiced in pads more during the season, they would tackle better. I don't see someone like Cowher tolerating the constant missed tackles that our defensive players have been known for.

WARHORSE
12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't really agree with that. I think we should leave the O as is and get a defensive HC. But there's nothing we can do about it.

You practically would be leaving the O in place with McDaniels.

Pioli could then build the defense.

topscribe
12-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Bowlen expected to be swift in finding successor

After shocking his team, his adopted city and his friends and colleagues in the NFL all in one swoop Tuesday by firing coach Mike Shanahan, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is expected to move quickly during the next few weeks to replace the man who was the team's coach and top personnel executive.

Neither Bowlen nor Shanahan could be reached for comment Tuesday night, but both are expected to speak at a news conference beginning at 11 a.m. today.

When the search for Shanahan's replacement does begin, the name generating the biggest buzz around the league is former Pittsburgh Steelers coach and current CBS analyst Bill Cowher.

But NFL teams say Cowher has made it clear he wants control over a team's football operations to go with a salary in the top three among coaches in the league (pushing him beyond $6 million a year).

That means the Broncos almost certainly would look in another direction.

More likely is someone such as Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, especially if the Broncos elect to retain offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who is under contract for three more seasons and has a strong relationship with quarterback Jay Cutler.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher has said in the past that Schwartz is "ready to be a head coach."

Also on Fisher's defensive staff is former Arizona Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis.

New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who has been given permission to talk to the New York Jets about their vacant head coaching position, and Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who has interviewed for the Miami, Atlanta and Baltimore head coaching jobs, are high-profile candidates as well.

Assistant coaches with teams in the playoffs cannot interview for head coaching positions until the week after the conference championships or when their team's season is completed.

Two NFL general managers who were asked Tuesday to name an up-and-coming defensive assistant who might be ready for a move up mentioned Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive backs coach Raheem Morris as someone that both had "on the radar."

Longtime associates of Bowlen said Tuesday night he has leaned toward people he knows or has worked with in the past when facing major personnel decisions.

But those associates also pointed out Tony Dungy, who had no previous relationship with Bowlen, was at the top of the team's list of candidates in 2001 when Shanahan was in the hunt for the University of Florida job.

Shanahan ended up staying with the Broncos and Dungy ended up coaching in Indianapolis, where he remains.

If Bowlen chose to lean toward former Broncos assistants with offensive backgrounds, Mike

Heimerdinger and Gary Kubiak fit the profile.

Heimerdinger currently is the Titans' offensive coordinator. Kubiak is believed to have two more years remaining on his contract with the Texans but is facing enough heat in his current job that he fired three defensive assistants Tuesday.

To secure a head coach who currently is under contract with another team - as Kubiak is - the Broncos would have to work out a deal with the other team and likely have to surrender compensatory draft picks.

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has been one of the most pursued coordinators in the league in recent seasons.

And former Broncos assistant and current Miami Dolphins receivers coach Karl Dorrell has head coaching experience at

UCLA.

The Broncos would have to request permission to interview any assistant under contract with another team. Also, under the league's Rooney Rule, the Broncos are required to interview minority candidates for any top positions.

Because Shanahan was the top personnel executive as well as the coach, the Broncos might be searching through general manager candidates in the coming weeks as well.

They might even hire the general manager first. Bowlen has not previously made his preference known about whether he would structure a more traditional general manager/coach operation.

The Broncos' financial situation might dictate whom they pursue and how their corporate flow chart looks in personnel and the coaching staff. If they have to continue to pay Shanahan, even partially, and any assistants they have fired because they do not take other jobs, it could impact money spent in the new search.

There would be a significant expenditure to restructure the team's personnel department as well because any new general manager or top personnel executive might want to bring in scouts or others with whom he already has a working relationship.

Who's next?

Names that surfaced around the league Tuesday to replace Mike Shanahan as coach of the Broncos:

Defensive background

* Jim Schwartz, Titans defensive coordinator

* Steve Spagnuolo, Giants defensive coordinator

* Dave McGinnis, Titans linebackers coach

* Rex Ryan, Ravens defensive coordinator

* Raheem Morris, Buccaneers defensive backs coach

Offensive background

* Mike Heimerdinger, Titans offensive coordinator

* Gary Kubiak, Texans coach*

* Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator

* Karl Dorrell, Dolphins receivers coach

* Because Kubiak is a coach under contract, the Broncos likely would have to surrender compensatory draft picks if the two teams agreed to a deal.

GM candidates

If the Broncos want to make the additional financial commitment to revamp the personnel side of football operations and hire a general manager, among the former ones available are:

* Floyd Reese, formerly of the Titans

* Charley Casserley, formerly of the Redskins and Texans

* Mike Lombardi, formerly of the Raiders

* Ted Sundquist, formerly of the Broncos

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/30/bowlen-expected-to-be-swift-in-finding-successor/

-----

Broncolingus
12-31-2008, 06:41 PM
IMO - I'd like to see getting a stud GM (player/personnel) person with the coach being a 'second' priority.

I'm willing to conceed a few 5-10 seasons to build a team that will be consistently playing in January.

Tned
12-31-2008, 06:48 PM
IMO - I'd like to see getting a stud GM (player/personnel) person with the coach being a 'second' priority.

I'm willing to conceed a few 5-10 seasons to build a team that will be consistently playing in January.

Well, Bowlen stated just the opposite. He said that hiring a coach was the only priority, and that the Goodmans would stay in charge of personell decisions. He didn't go as far as saying Goodman would be the GM, but when asked about hiring a GM, he said he hadn't given it any thought, or something like that. When asked if he would hire a GM or coach first, he said something like the only priority was hiring a coach.

While he could turn around and hire a GM, he gave zero indication that he would be looking for a GM.

gregbroncs
12-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Urban Meyer. He has won everywhere he went and is a disciplinarian. He is not a defensive coach however. Not much of a chance he comes but one of the best in college football who I believe will eventually try it in the NFL.

Drill-N-Fill
12-31-2008, 09:11 PM
When asked if he would hire a GM or coach first, he said something like the only priority was hiring a coach.

While he could turn around and hire a GM, he gave zero indication that he would be looking for a GM.

From my understanding to the question was that he hasn't decided wether to look for GM first or coach first.

Slick
12-31-2008, 09:27 PM

Exactly. I'll add that I want a smashmouth style of football to come to Denver. I'm sick of being a finesse team.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-31-2008, 09:28 PM
What up Slicksta?

Slick
12-31-2008, 09:32 PM
Nothing..making some food, getting ready to head out. You?

Requiem / The Dagda
12-31-2008, 09:46 PM
Just made my signature hot wings and cheesy beefy salsa dip, gonna do 45 minute cardio and kick back and watch movies. No party for me. Have fun bud. Hope yoru ear is ok>

Tned
12-31-2008, 10:45 PM
From my understanding to the question was that he hasn't decided wether to look for GM first or coach first.

The DenverBroncos.com transcript isn't word for word, as they left out the "Hell No" for instance, when they asked Bowlen if he was interested in taking over the GM role.

I'm pretty sure there was also a question along the lines of "will you hire a GM or Coach first" or something like that, and he said head coach. Regardless, this is what was in the transcript (I don't want to go back through the video), but even this makes it pretty clear that he may or may not hire a GM, but will be hiring a coach ASAP.

On if he has a timetable for his next hire

"Yeah, I would like to have it done as soon as I can."

On if he will look for a general manager before hiring a head coach

"I haven't thought about it."

On the stability of Vice President of Football Operations/Player Personnel Jim Goodman

"Jim Goodman has his job, and he will have his job."

On if he will be looking for a new general manager

"We haven't gotten to that point yet."

On what the process is for picking a new head coach

"I don't think I would consider myself smart enough to do it all myself. I think there is a lot of talent in this building that can help me out, and I will rely on the advice of certain people in this building that I have respect for and we will hopefully get a great new head coach. By the way, this job here, (Denver Broncos head coach) and I don't say this in any braggadocios fashion at all, is a very highly thought of job and I expect that it will get a very good head coach. "

On how much direct contact he will have in selecting new head coach

"I will depend on my staff a great deal, but ultimately I will make the decision."

Denver Native (Carol)
12-31-2008, 10:50 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11340500?source=rss

Candidates for new coach

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen will have a lengthy list of diverse coaching candidates to consider as he tries to decide who should replace Mike Shanahan as the Broncos' head coach.

Will he look to an established veteran coach, such as Bill Cowher? Will he choose a top NFL assistant, such as Tennessee's defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz or the Giants' defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo?

All three have been hot names in 2008 coaching candidate discussions.

Will Bowlen again choose to hire an offensive-minded coach, like Shanahan, or will he find a coach who will focus on the team's ailing defense?

"As an owner, you should know, if you fire a coach, who are you going to get who's going to be better? That to me is the question," former Broncos coach Dan Reeves said.

Unlike the situation where Shanahan had autonomy over all personnel decisions, two NFL sources said Bowlen is leaning toward having a separate general manager to run that department while leaving his new coach to coach.

The formula worked at Miami, where Bill Parcells was hired early last year to make over a team that had just finished 1-15. Parcells hired Tony Sparano, who had been an assistant in Dallas, then purged the roster. The Dolphins won 11 games this season — and the AFC East.

A top GM candidate is Scott Pioli, New England's vice president of personnel.

Former Broncos offensive lineman Mark Schlereth, who still lives in Denver and works as an analyst for ESPN, said he would not be surprised if Bowlen changes his business model.

"They gave him total autonomy in player personnel," Schlereth said of Shanahan. "I'm not sure when you don't have anyone around to question your decisions if that makes for a healthy situation."

In addition to Schwartz and Spagnuolo, other hot assistant coaches include Josh McDaniels, the Patriots' offensive coordinator; Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett; or Atlanta quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave, a former Broncos backup quarterback who starred as at Grand Junction High School and the University of Oregon.

If Bowlen chooses to go with an experienced head coach instead, Cowher could be the top target, though he would be far more expensive to a franchise that still could be paying at least part of Shanahan's salary in coming years.

Cowher has not coached since retiring from Pittsburgh nearly two years ago. He has been linked to the open New York Jets job, too, in recent days.

"He's the most valuable candidate out there right now," said former San Diego and Kansas City coach Marty Schottenheimer, a close friend of Cowher.

Schottenheimer said late Tuesday afternoon he didn't think Cowher had been contacted by Bowlen.

Several top college coaches could be in the discussion, as well, including Southern California's Pete Carroll, who previously coached in the NFL in New England.

One local college coach, Air Force's Troy Calhoun, shook his head no Tuesday when asked if he expected to be considered. Calhoun was a defensive and special-teams assistant under Shanahan and an assistant coach for the Texans under Gary Kubiak.

Jim Armstrong and Irv Moss contributed to this report.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Nick
01-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Some people that are not listed

Jim Harbaugh (Stanford)

Urban Meyer (Florida)

These two would be my favorite that are coaches in college that I think will do the best as an NFL Head Coach for a lot of years.

PatricktheDookie
01-01-2009, 03:11 AM
list is updated

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Bob Stoops is about to lose his QB, both WRs, his TE and half his offensive line...most of which will be drafted on day 1. Not saying he leaves, but now would be as good a time as any.

Bronco Bible
01-01-2009, 09:35 AM

noooo please noooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elsid13
01-01-2009, 09:45 AM
This is from the RMN
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/31/bowlens-job-description-for-shanahan-successor/

Several personnel executives in the league said there already was a buzz in the scouting community that the Broncos, because of their firepower on offense, could be the job that finally lures Bob Stoops away from the University of Oklahoma. Bowlen said he would give consideration to a college coach.

Raheem Morris

SmilinAssasSin27
01-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I'd be cool with that. I mean, are the other names really that exciting. I like the NYG DC, but otherwise Stoops is likely who I'd like to see in Denver. He is a winner. He is young. He knows offense...and defense and he rebuilt the Oklahoma program. I know college success doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL, but the offensive pieces are at least in place.

topscribe
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
This is from the RMN
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/31/bowlens-job-description-for-shanahan-successor/

Several personnel executives in the league said there already was a buzz in the scouting community that the Broncos, because of their firepower on offense, could be the job that finally lures Bob Stoops away from the University of Oklahoma. Bowlen said he would give consideration to a college coach.

Raheem Morris

I hope he's not too serious about a college coach. The NFL is so different from
college that it would seem to me that a college coach who wants to go to the
NFL should work as an assistant for a while.

I may be wrong about that, but just sayin . . .

-----

fcspikeit
01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Dan Reeves is looking to get back into coaching...

I would hate that but you might as well put him on the list... IMO the worst possible candidate would without question would be Bob Slowic

LRtagger
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Utah's coaches are looking pretty good right about now :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8754
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For the first time in over 14 years, the search for a head coach is on at Dove Valley, and there is a plethora of potential candidates.

President and CEO Pat Bowlen said Tuesday he would like to have his next head coach lined up "quickly," and the Broncos are wasting little time in their efforts to fill the void.

Beginning tomorrow, Broncos brass will dine with current Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, and Sunday they'll meet with New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

The Broncos have also confirmed an interview with Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris next Wednesday in Denver, and they plan on interviewing Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett at some point next week.

Offensive Coordinator/Offensive line coach Rick Dennison will be an in-house candidate to be interviewed next Wednesday as well. Dennison has spent the past 14 seasons with Denver and has been the Offensive Coordinator since 2006.

"We are excited and energized to begin our head coaching search," Chief Operating Officer Joe Ellis said. "Although we are still in the early stages of an extremely thorough process, there are a number of qualified individuals whom we are looking forward to speaking with in the coming weeks. We are confident that we will find the right fit for the Denver Broncos."

But one thing is certain -- whoever the Broncos decide on, he will be more than completely qualified for the job.

"I want him to be a 10 in every area," Bowlen said in his press conference Wednesday. "I want somebody to come in here and win a Super Bowl. That is my No. 1 goal. With good coaches and good players, and good personnel, that is what our goal is every year. So I hope I can pick the right coach, personnel people and right players and we can go on and win the next Super Bowl."

THE CANDIDATES

Rick Dennison, Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach, Denver Broncos: Here's the in-house candidate for the Broncos' top job. He completed his 14th year on the Denver Broncos' coaching staff in 2008 and his third as offensive coordinator, a position he was named to before the 2006 season and one that includes the instruction of the club's offensive line. Dennison, 50, spent 11 years working as an assistant for the Broncos, coaching the offensive line from 2001-05, special teams from 1997-00 and serving as an offensive assistant from 1995-96.

Dennison played linebacker for the Broncos from 1982-90, appearing in 128 games (52 starts) and three Super Bowls. In 1989, he received the Ed Block Memorial Courage Award. Dennison ranked second on the team in tackles in 1988 with 133 and led the team with three fumble recoveries for the year. Perhaps the best performance of his career came in a 1987 playoff game against Houston when he registered eight tackles and one quarterback pressure. He also had an excellent season in 1984 when he had 164 stops and a career-high three sacks in his first full season as a starter. Dennison was a free agent acquisition by the Broncos in 1982.

Dennison joined the Broncos after a fine collegiate career at Colorado State University, where he was a second-team Academic All-American as a senior and earned three varsity letters. In 1979, Dennison received a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from CSU followed by a master’s degree in the same field from CSU in 1982.

Rick, his wife, Shannon, and sons, Joseph and Steven, along with 4-year-old twin daughters, Abrynn and Allie, and newborn son Trey reside in Centennial, Colo.

The Broncos will meet with Dennison next Wednesday.

Jason Garrett, Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach, Dallas Cowboys: He's in just his fourth year as a coach in the NFL, but Garrett has already established himself as one of the top young offensive minds in the league. And as such, it's only appropriate that the Broncos take the time to consider Garrett as a candidate for their next head coach.

He began his coaching career with the Miami Dolphins in 2005 as quarterbacks coach. He spent two seasons there, coaching five different starting quarterbacks in 32 games, before joining the Cowboys before the 2007 season as offensive coordinator. In his first year as OC for the 'Boys, Garrett coached the Dallas offense to a team-record-tying 13-3 season. Under his instruction, the team ranked second in the NFL in total scoring and fourth in total offense.

Seven players from that 2007 offense went to the Pro Bowl, including quarterback Tony Romo, who finished as the NFC's top rated passer with a 97.4 quarterback rating in his first full year as a starter. And were he to join the Broncos as head coach, he'd have another strong-armed young quarterback to work with -- Jay Cutler.

Garrett played quarterback as a key backup for most of his career, playing with the Cowboys, Giants, Dolphins and Buccaneers. Over the course of his 12 seasons as a player, he completed 165-of-294 passes for 2,042 yards, 11 touchdowns and five interceptions in 40 career games.

Garrett, 42, graduated from Princeton University with a degree in history in 1989, and he and his wife Brill live in Dallas.

The Broncos will meet with Garrett at some point next week.

Josh McDaniels, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach, New England Patriots: Like Garrett, McDaniels is another young and highly-touted offensive guru. At 32, he's a full 10 years younger than his counterpart in Dallas, but he has been coaching in the NFL with the Patriots since 2001.

In New England, he began as a personnel assistant. In 2002, he became a coaching assistant for the defensive staff, and in 2003 he gained more responsibilities working with the defensive backs. Once 2004 rolled around, he was promoted to quarterbacks coach, his first official positional responsiblity. From 2004-07, he guided Tom Brady to his four highest quarterback ratings of his career.

And of course in that 2007 season, he coached one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. With McDaniels' tutelage, the 2007 offense set NFL records for points scored, touchdowns scored and most players scoring a touchdown. Brady set an NFL record 50 passing touchdowns while leading the league in yardage and passer rating.

But perhaps his job in 2008 has been the most impressive. After Brady went down with a season-ending knee injury in Week 1, McDaniels turned backup Matt Cassel into an NFL star. Cassel had been a career backup at the University of Southern California and with New England and hadn't started a game since high school, but with McDaniels tutoring him, Cassel led the Patriots to an 11-5 record. The fourth-year quarterback completed 327-of-516 passes for 3,693 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, earning him a quarterback rating of 89.4. As a result, Cassel will be a highly-sought after free agent, should he hit the open market.

McDaniels played quarterback and wide receiver at John Carroll University from 1995-1998. He and his wife Laura have two children.

The Broncos will meet with McDaniels on Sunday.

Raheem Morris, Defensive Backs Coach, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The youth trend continues with Morris, a 32-year-old who has helped guide the Buccaneers to top five total defensive rankings in five of his six years in Tampa. Additionally, the team had the top-ranked pass defense in three of his seasons with the team. And in his first year as a coach, he helped guide the Bucs and their top-ranked defense to a Super Bowl title.

He's in his second stint with the Bucs, having served in three different defensive posts from 2002-05 before serving as defensive coordinator for Kansas State in 2006. He re-joined Tampa Bay's staff in 2007 as defensive backs coach. While at Kansas State, the Bucs' pass defense suffered, falling to 19th in the league. Upon his return, he promptly got them back where they belong as ranked first against the pass en-route to winning the NFC South title.

He coached in the collegiate ranks as a graduate assistant in 1998 for his alma mater of Hofstra University, where he played safety from 1994-97. The Irvington, New Jersey native also coached at Cornell University.

The Broncos will meet with Morris next Wednesday.

Steve Spagnuolo, Defensive Coordinator, New York Giants: Spagnuolo is the most senior of the outside candidates confirmed thus far, having spent 27 years in coaching -- 15 in the NCAA, two in NFL Europe and 10 in the NFL. Before reaching the NFL ranks, he served as a defensive coordinator with Connecticut and Maine. In addition, he served as assistant coach at Massachusetts, Lafayette, Rutgers and Bowling Green.

His work in the NFL began in 1999 with the Philadelphia Eagles. He worked as an assistant for two years under defensive coordinator Jim Johnson before being promoted to defensive backs coach and then linebackers coach. In his first six years with the Eagles, he helped coach their defensive unit to the NFL's top ranking in third-down percentage, second in points allowed, second in sacks and third in red zone defense. And during that time period, Philadelphia played in four consecutive NFC Championships and one Super Bowl.

Most recently, he has been credited with the defensive success of the reigning Super Bowl Champion New York Giants, whom he joined prior to the 2007 season. The Giants ranked seventh in the league in total defense in 2007. In 20 regular season and postseason games, the Giants’ defense held opponents to 17 points or less 12 times. The Giants were 12-0 in those games. They ranked eighth in the NFL in rushing defense and led the NFL with 53 sacks. And it is the defense, led by Spagnuolo, that gets much of the credit for winning Super Bowl XLII.

Last year's success carried over into 2008, as the Giants finished fifth in total defense while becoming the NFC's number one seed for the playoffs.

The Broncos will meet with Spagnuolo on Saturday.

PatricktheDookie
01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
updated

BroncoWave
01-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Given who we have interviewed/are planning to interview, this is the order in which I want them:

1. Spagnuolo

2. Stoops
3. McDaniels
4. Morris
5. Dennison
6. Garrett

Needless to say, I really want Spags, but I wouldn't be depressed with Stoops. And a big hell no to the other 3.

Tned
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Given who we have interviewed/are planning to interview, this is the order in which I want them:

1. Spagnuolo

2. Stoops
3. McDaniels
4. Morris
5. Dennison
6. Garrett

Needless to say, I really want Spags, but I wouldn't be depressed with Stoops. And a big hell no to the other 3.

The recent history of college head coaches transitioning to the pros hasn't been real promising.

BroncoWave
01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
The recent history of college head coaches transitioning to the pros hasn't been real promising.

That's true, but Stoops is a great coach and runs a pro style offense so I think he could translate. Plus, given the other choices besides Spags, I think Stoops is the best candidate. I don't trust any of the other guys we are interviewing any more than I could throw them.

BroncoWave
01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Also, here are my gripes with the other guys:

McDaniels: Belichick's coaching tree has been full of busts so far and McDaniels is pretty young and inexperienced.
Morris: Also a bit to inexperienced and has never even been a coordinator so he needs some more grooming.
Dennison: Courtesty interview IMO, no point in even discussing him.
Garrett: Dallas fans can't get rid of him soon enough from what I have read. Plus, it doesn't seem like his own players even like him. Pass.

skycoyote
01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
We need to get the best defensive coach available. Defensive, special team and conditioning is the problem. I believe any decent offensive coordinator can score with our offensive personel.

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
A few reasons I believe Dennison can be not the best but a 'good' choice-

Watched Shanahan and Kubiak for years.
He knows the players and Cutler.
The Offense, running game and OLine wouldn't change.
Former Broncos player.
Former LB who knows defense better than Shanahan could.
A Colorado guy, played at CS and career as player and coach in Denver.

Wouldn't be too bad. Could definitely be worse for hiring a guy with no head coach experience. At least everyone knows him, familiar with the Broncos, part of the Super Bowl winners and losers and knows what it takes to win.

BroncoWave
01-02-2009, 10:54 PM
A few reasons I believe Dennison can be not the best but a 'good' choice-

Watched Shanahan and Kubiak for years.
He knows the players and Cutler.
The Offense, running game and OLine wouldn't change.
Former Broncos player.
Former LB who knows defense better than Shanahan could.
A Colorado guy, played at CS and career as player and coach in Denver.

Wouldn't be too bad. Could definitely be worse for hiring a guy with no head coach experience. At least everyone knows him, familiar with the Broncos, part of the Super Bowl winners and losers and knows what it takes to win.

We might as well have kept Shanny if we hire Dennison. I'm not too fond of promoting from within. I want a new face.

Shazam!
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Oh, I'm with you 100%. Just saying we could do a lot worse.

TXBRONC
01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Mentioned above, but Garrett would fill that bill. Jones might fire Phillips just to hang on to him, though.

If I remember right Garrett being groomed to be the next head coach of the Cowboy.