PDA

View Full Version : The Detroit Lions Defensive Line

CrazyHorse
10-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Is going to eat Tebow alive. Miami had 7 sacks. Detroit is that much better. I bet they're already licking their chops.
Discuss...:coffee:

Poet
10-23-2011, 08:01 PM
You can run on that defensive line. Denver has to contain the Lions' offense so they're not forced to throw it early. If they can do that they can keep feeding McG the ball and Tebow can nickel and dime them on playaction.

That is in a perfect world.

CrazyHorse
10-23-2011, 08:02 PM
You can run on that defensive line. Denver has to contain the Lions' offense so they're not forced to throw it early. If they can do that they can keep feeding McG the ball and Tebow can nickel and dime them on playaction.

That is in a perfect world.

McGahee has a broken hand. I doubt he plays. I'm afraid this game could get really ugly. Like that Packer game earlier this year or the Raider game from last year.

MileHighCrew
10-23-2011, 08:06 PM
the power of positive thinking

HORSEPOWER 56
10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
McGahee has a broken hand. I doubt he plays. I'm afraid this game could get really ugly. Like that Packer game earlier this year or the Raider game from last year.

And the worst that could happen is....? We lose? Did anyone expect us to win this game Tebow/Orton/Santa Claus playing QB anyway? I'll actually wait until the game is played and see how it goes.

How about this:

Calvin Johnson versus Champ Bailey - discuss.

Just saying: The Broncos are going to get beaten so badly by the Lions' uber defensive line they shouldn't even take the field so, discuss... really isn't much of a thread.

In my opinion, we have just as good a chance to win or lose. Any given Sunday. When Miller crushes Stafford for a sack and ruins his newly rebuilt shoulder and Shaun Hill has to come in, all things will be equal.

sneakers
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
The Lions wont do shit!

NameUsedBefore
10-23-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a sexual need to see Jim Scwhartz lose. I'm sure a lot of players do, too.

Northman
10-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Detroit already won their Super Bowl when they went 5-0. Now, they are paper tigers.

sneakers
10-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Detroit already won their Super Bowl when they went 5-0. Now, they are paper tigers.

You mean "paper lions"

Lancane
10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
The Lions lost two games, both of which were to far better teams then us. We only wish we were as good as Atlanta or San Fran, even Detroit for that matter. Will not be a pretty game IMHO.

Northman
10-23-2011, 09:13 PM
The Lions lost two games, both of which were to far better teams then us. We only wish we were as good as Atlanta or San Fran, even Detroit for that matter. Will not be a pretty game IMHO.

Root for Detroit if you like mate. :laugh:

BroncoBully
10-23-2011, 09:25 PM
whatever man....

ever heard of the word "matchup"? teams match up against each other differently. I'll wait till the game is over before I say some ***** like that.

igoe4broncos
10-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Something tells me we will win this game despite the obvious matchups that don't favor us.

pipes
10-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I watched a good part of the first half of the Atl-Det game, it seemed like every other defensive play, Suh or one of his fellow dliners were pushing and shoving Atl olinemen.

On several occasions, one in particular Suh shoved an olineman well after the play was over. The lineman went down-and it was directly in front of an official, no call!

I remember thinking, the officials better stop this crap or fights are going to break out...and they did.

This IS how Schwartz coaches...dating back to his Titans's defense.

The Broncos better be ready for cheap shots and mind games.

Later in today's game, Matt Ryan went down and Suh and Cliff Avril poked fun at him (allegedly)....

Again, TT and co had better be ready for this kind of ahem, "sportsmanship"

CrazyHorse
10-23-2011, 09:38 PM
whatever man....

ever heard of the word "matchup"? teams match up against each other differently. I'll wait till the game is over before I say some ***** like that.

Of course it's about match ups. I just don't think this is a good one for us. I think we match up against the Patriots better than the Lions.

And the worst that could happen is....? We lose? Did anyone expect us to win this game Tebow/Orton/Santa Claus playing QB anyway? I'll actually wait until the game is played and see how it goes.

How about this:

Calvin Johnson versus Champ Bailey - discuss.

Just saying: The Broncos are going to get beaten so badly by the Lions' uber defensive line they shouldn't even take the field so, discuss... really isn't much of a thread.

In my opinion, we have just as good a chance to win or lose. Any given Sunday. When Miller crushes Stafford for a sack and ruins his newly rebuilt shoulder and Shaun Hill has to come in, all things will be equal.
Let's hope Shaun Hill plays!

DenBronx
10-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I want to see a pumped up Fox shake Swartz hand after we win.

Lancane
10-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Root for Detroit if you like mate. :laugh:

No thanks, I'll still root for Denver, even if it will be a massacre! :D

pipes
10-23-2011, 09:55 PM
No thanks, I'll still root for Denver, even if it will be a massacre! :D

I really don't think it will be a massacre.
Detroit is a different team away from Ford Field.

They're also a different team w/o Best and possibly Stafford.

Also, Denver is a different team w/o Orton....

Lancane
10-23-2011, 10:01 PM
I really don't think it will be a massacre.
Detroit is a different team away from Ford Field.

They're also a different team w/o Best and possibly Stafford.

Also, Denver is a different team w/o Orton....

Hmmm... I hope your right brother, but I have a feeling that it's just good old fashion optimism that has people discounting the Lions and feel we have a chance. Granted we are different without Orton, but better? That's yet to be seen, even Orton wins now and then. As to the rest of your statement, I'm not going to discount the Lions that easily, they kicked our asses with a weaker team, were not much better then that squad, but they arguably are.

:beer:

BroncoJoe
10-23-2011, 10:02 PM
LAN, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't mention me. :(

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lancane
10-23-2011, 10:04 PM
LAN, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't mention me. :(

:lol: Sorry Joe, and yes I'll have a heated debate with Joe in the process!

pipes
10-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Hmmm... I hope your right brother, but I have a feeling that it's just good old fashion optimism that has people discounting the Lions and feel we have a chance. Granted we are different without Orton, but better? That's yet to be seen, even Orton wins now and then. As to the rest of your statement, I'm not going to discount the Lions that easily, they kicked our asses with a weaker team, were not much better then that squad, but they arguably are.

:beer:
Please make a mental note that I never said err typed that Denver would win, just don't think it will be a blowout.

And I do believe Denver will be better with TT than KO...if given the opportunity from Fox and McCoy.

Lancane
10-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Please make a mental note that I never said err typed that Denver would win, just don't think it will be a blowout.

And I do believe Denver will be better with TT than KO...if given the opportunity from Fox and McCoy.

Optimism about Tebow I can swallow, even if I feel it's unjust...optimism about McCoy though is fighting words, the man is about as much an offensive coordinator as McDaniels is a head coach.

:lol:

pipes
10-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Optimism about Tebow I can swallow, even if I feel it's unjust...optimism about McCoy though is fighting words, the man is about as much an offensive coordinator as McDaniels is a head coach or even offensive coordinator, at this point.

:lol:

Added some to urs, on my phone...it was easier

Locnar
10-23-2011, 10:28 PM
I think we will incorporate some more aggressive play calling to keep them on their heels. Amazingly enough, Tebow looked good taking snaps under center. I think the coaching staff will feel more comfortable with rolling out some bootlegs knowing that he can handle snaps without fumbling or running into his back.

DenBronx
10-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Stafford might be out for this game.

Anything can happen.

Suhs fats ass has never chased a QB like TT.

battherastard
10-23-2011, 10:37 PM
This game will depend on TT's ability to put up 13-20 points thru quarters 1-3. After that, we all know what he can do in the 4th quarter. Also, Scheffler's homecoming, I feel like this will be forgotten.

Lancane
10-23-2011, 10:37 PM
I think we will incorporate some more aggressive play calling to keep them on their heels. Amazingly enough, Tebow looked good taking snaps under center. I think the coaching staff will feel more comfortable with rolling out some bootlegs knowing that he can handle snaps without fumbling or running into his back.

I do have to admit that you have a point, he did look better under center then before, but his passing ability is less then questionable and that is a far graver problem IMHO. As to the rest, I think your looking for a miracle Loc, I don't see McCoy unleashing Tebow nor growing well enough to be a decent offensive coordinator with an original thought in his skull.

Lancane
10-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Anything can happen.

Stafford will likely play, at least that is the initial reports we're hearing, but I'm sure we'll hear more about that later in the week.

And be more careful what you say about Suh DB, he might think your ass is a Whopper Jr.

I Eat Staples
10-23-2011, 10:53 PM
How happy must the Lions be to play us after 2 straight losses? Denver is just the team to play when you're looking to get back on track.

That said I think Colquitt has a good enough game to keep us competitive.

Ziggy
10-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Detroit is worse than Denver at running the ball. Denver wins this game.

Nomad
10-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Is it Sunday yet?!?:defense:

BigDaddyBronco
10-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Megatron is going to own the Broncos DB's.

BORDERLINE
10-24-2011, 10:51 AM
The Lions D-Line does look very stout. But it's the Offense i'm worried about. Megatron is gonna be all over our secondary. Maybe Champ has one of those All-Star games in his pocket and blankets him all day.

If the D-Line comes real aggressive I believe we should have a few screen plays early in the game to keep them honest and not just bullrush our O-Line. The screen play to Fells yesterday was magical the Fins defense completely sold out to the left.

Tebow needs to play well early point blank. We cannot afford 3 and outs and we have to control the clock. Detroits offense will put up points we just have to not let it get out of hand and we might actually have a chance.

NightTerror218
10-24-2011, 11:23 AM
I think we have a chance against the Lions......

Stafford will probably be out of the game. Injured ankle and knee.

HammeredOut
10-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Detroit runs most of its offense out of the Shot Gun. The mismatch of the day will be covering the slot on Detroit.

Champ Bailey vs Megatron may be an interesting battle. But Detroit moves C.J around and will likely move him to the right side for a majority of the plays, and will not see Bailey most of the time. The result is, Champs left side wins, and Megatron is forced to the other side.

The Defensive line of Detroit is going to be a beast. Hopefully the Pass rush blows by again, and Tebow can do his thing up field. I believe that if we run Tebow 15 times, he will have 100 on the ground easily. The Detroit LBs are horrible again this year. They always give up the big play on the ground. This battle depends on whether or not T.T can stay in the pocket long enough for the Pass Rush to blow by, and his ability to move the chains up field. With the LBs on Detroit, I can see T.T ripping off multiple 20 yard runs, if he gets to open up and run the ball more.

Thnikkaman
10-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Only if we can be a Scissors Lizard and not a Rock Lobster.

GEM
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Get this shit back on topic.

GEM
10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Alright, the topic is Detroit's defensive line. :)

NightTerror218
10-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Alright, the topic is Detroit's defensive line. :)

better then ours......next topic :D

MOtorboat
10-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Anything can happen.

Yeah, Suh has never run down a running quarterback...

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1205/ncf_g_suh1_600.jpg

:thatwasajoke:

It's the NFL...anything can happen. However, I can also not be optimistic that it will happen.

vandammage13
10-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Yeah, Suh has never run down a running quarterback...

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1205/ncf_g_suh1_600.jpg

:thatwasajoke:

It's the NFL...anything can happen. However, I can also not be optimistic that it will happen.

Yeah...I don't like the prospects of Tebow going head to head on Suh...Hope TT is smart enough to avoid that at all costs..

But let's not make Colt McCoy out to be the runner that TT is either...

underrated29
10-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Detroit runs most of its offense out of the Shot Gun. The mismatch of the day will be covering the slot on Detroit.

Champ Bailey vs Megatron may be an interesting battle. But Detroit moves C.J around and will likely move him to the right side for a majority of the plays, and will not see Bailey most of the time. The result is, Champs left side wins, and Megatron is forced to the other side.

The Defensive line of Detroit is going to be a beast. Hopefully the Pass rush blows by again, and Tebow can do his thing up field. I believe that if we run Tebow 15 times, he will have 100 on the ground easily. The Detroit LBs are horrible again this year. They always give up the big play on the ground. This battle depends on whether or not T.T can stay in the pocket long enough for the Pass Rush to blow by, and his ability to move the chains up field. With the LBs on Detroit, I can see T.T ripping off multiple 20 yard runs, if he gets to open up and run the ball more.

Nicely Done!

Detroits front Four is the big time threat. Their LBs and their DBs are trash!!!

I think if tebow can get out of the pocket he will have his way with the detroit defense. I would like to see a bunch of bootlegs and rollouts. Anything to get tebow out of the pocket. He should be able imo to easily outrun or overrun any detroit linebackers. And the Dbs they have are not good at all. We should have guys open especially if tebow gets out of the pocket and forces the dbs to step up and honor his run threat.

I do like their safties though. So keeping them off the LOS and way in the backfield imo is a must. This game if I was calling the plays would involve a lot of short to mid stuff. Once you get passed their front four they are fluff until you get to their safties...So that is where I would attack them.

Poet
10-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Anything can happen.

Ok, on this one I willl pipe up. Tim Tebow wants no part of Suh, Suh will annihilate him.

Cugel
10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
I do have to admit that you have a point, he did look better under center then before, but his passing ability is less then questionable and that is a far graver problem IMHO. As to the rest, I think your looking for a miracle Loc, I don't see McCoy unleashing Tebow nor growing well enough to be a decent offensive coordinator with an original thought in his skull.
What you people call "unleashing Tebow" is NEVER going to happen. True, they can design some plays to roll Tebow out of the pocket like they did with Jake Plummer. And they will have to do that moving forward. But, they are NEVER going to let him run a spread offense in the NFL.

And I have news for you guys. NO NFL TEAM EVER WILL!

It's not going to happen because $10 million is rather a lot of money to spend on a QB who gets hammered by LBs and S's like Ray Lewis and Troy Polomalu 10-15 times a game on designed plays. :coffee:

As Elway said this morning on the radio: "I never saw a QB winning the SB who wasn't a pocket passing QB." While Tebow is never going to be a strictly sit back there and survey the defense QB like Brady or Manning, he's going to have to learn to operate a LOT better in the pocket or he won't last as the starter either here or anywhere else.

Traveler
10-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I will be watching the OL to gauge their progress. Detroit's DL is similar to OAK. Hopefully Walton and Beadles can anchor better and aren't skates like they were in the Raiders game.

Jsteve01
10-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I will be watching the OL to gauge their progress. Detroit's DL is similar to OAK. Hopefully Walton and Beadles can anchor better and aren't skates like they were in the Raiders game.

That my friend is the key to this game. Magazu has them playing much better football, but at the end of the day a turd is still a turd. Not sold at all on Beadles and Kuper as power guards. Walton actually held his own agains Suh in college. So it will be fun to watch.

NightTerror218
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM

If we have more outs and screen passes, we could overcome their great DL. I know blocking them will be hard for our OL and Tebow will have lots of pressure. But having quick outs will help.

underrated29
10-24-2011, 02:27 PM
What you people call "unleashing Tebow" is NEVER going to happen. True, they can design some plays to roll Tebow out of the pocket like they did with Jake Plummer. And they will have to do that moving forward. But, they are NEVER going to let him run a spread offense in the NFL.

And I have news for you guys. NO NFL TEAM EVER WILL!

It's not going to happen because $10 million is rather a lot of money to spend on a QB who gets hammered by LBs and S's like Ray Lewis and Troy Polomalu 10-15 times a game on designed plays. :coffee:

As Elway said this morning on the radio: "I never saw a QB winning the SB who wasn't a pocket passing QB." While Tebow is never going to be a strictly sit back there and survey the defense QB like Brady or Manning, he's going to have to learn to operate a LOT better in the pocket or he won't last as the starter either here or anywhere else.

I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!!

detroit runs the spread
:welcome:

NightTerror218
10-24-2011, 02:28 PM
I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!!

detroit runs the spread

I was just about to say that. Stafford is the QB in a spread offense in the NFL.

Orton took more snaps from shotgun then from center.

BigDaddyBronco
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I would have loved to see Suh play against the Broncos 1998 OLine. How many cut-blocks would it take for him to get totally unglued?

I Eat Staples
10-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!!

detroit runs the spread

They run a variation of the spread, but you can't argue against Stafford being a successful pocket passer.

And I honestly think their spread offense is going to cost them. They have no running game, because with a spread, running the ball is nearly impossible.

Northman
10-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!!

detroit runs the spread

Indeed.

I saw some stats a few days back and you would be amazed at how many Qb's actually take a lot of snaps from the Shotgun and also run a spread offense.

MOtorboat
10-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Indeed.

I saw some stats a few days back and you would be amazed at how many Qb's actually take a lot of snaps from the Shotgun and also run a spread offense.

The college spread and the NFL spread are two completely different offenses.

TXBRONC
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
I would have loved to see Suh play against the Broncos 1998 OLine. How many cut-blocks would it take for him to get totally unglued?

One.

BroncoJoe
10-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Good thing Manning and/or Brady don't operate out of hybrid spread.

MOtorboat
10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Good thing Manning and/or Brady don't operate out of hybrid spread.

Oh, Joe...you really don't want to go there, my man...the college spread and the NFL spread are completely different, and you named the two quarterbacks that successfully operate it on the pro level...

:tsk:

Come on, man....

BroncoJoe
10-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Sure I do. Personally I'm not convinced a spread type offense wouldn't work in the NFL.

Lancane
10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Indeed.

Not really, people like Bosco or myself have continually explained that most offensive coordinators in the NFL have instilled different aspects, even formations of various pro-spread offenses into their own schemes and systems. It's nothing new... A good coordinator whether defensive or offensive minded are without question students of the game itself, they should have insight into more then one or two schemes, that's not always the case though (see Mike McCoy). If you look at McCoy's resume, one would think that he has a firm grip on the in's and out's of the aerial game...but in reality he doesn't. It's at times much the same for offensive coordinators understanding the college spread offenses, let alone trying to create or change a system with implemented aspects of those same said offenses.

Northman
10-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Not really, people like Bosco or myself have continually explained that most offensive coordinators in the NFL have instilled different aspects, even formations of various pro-spread offenses into their own schemes and systems. It's nothing new... A good coordinator whether defensive or offensive minded are without question students of the game itself, they should have insight into more then one or two schemes, that's not always the case though (see Mike McCoy). If you look at McCoy's resume, one would think that he has a firm grip on the in's and out's of the aerial game...but in reality he doesn't. It's at times much the same for offensive coordinators understanding the college spread offenses, let alone trying to create or change a system with implemented aspects of those same said offenses.

Well, the debate of whether or not McCoy is a good cordinator isnt in question. He's just bad. But it has been said that the rise in snaps taken from the shotgun formation has risen within the last 3 years. It was also noted that a good percentage of scoring passing plays were done from the shotgun. And this is what im getting at for those who claim differently. A good portion of the young QB's in the league come from colleges who use the spread formation almost exclusively.

jhildebrand
10-24-2011, 11:58 PM
You play the game for a reason!

Denver can do things to win this game: play action, hurry up to capitalize on the altitude, screen passes early andoften wi,l slow their d line, and finally-open up the damn play book!

Lancane
10-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Well, the debate of whether or not McCoy is a good cordinator isnt in question. He's just bad. But it has been said that the rise in snaps taken from the shotgun formation has risen within the last 3 years. It was also noted that a good percentage of scoring passing plays were done from the shotgun. And this is what im getting at for those who claim differently. A good portion of the young QB's in the league come from colleges who use the spread formation almost exclusively.

One of two points, first and foremost of which is that the shotgun is not a spread formation. The shotgun evolved from the single wing back in 1930's, and was first used in the NFL sparingly, then most notably by the New York Jet's in the 70's with Joe Namath. In 1975 Tom Landry devised an offensive scheme along with Jim Myers that he felt could counter his own innovative 4-3 defense, the basis of that offense was the precursor to the modern day shotgun formation. Few teams used the shotgun during the 80's, but with the pass happiness of the 90's, the shotgun formation exploded back onto the scene and was implemented in almost every known professional offense.

The shotgun formation is rather new to the spread offensive systems, because for one the spread option offense or spread offense itself is rather new, but it wasn't until the changes of the current decade that the spread offenses both at the collegiate and professional level began to utilize the shotgun formation.

Currently there are six different pro-spread offenses; the Erhardt-Perkins, Martz Spread, Air-Earhardt, Weiss Spread, Wild Cat and of course the Pistol.

As to the whole McCoy comment, I was trying to explain that it's hard enough to be a moderately good offensive coordinator, and implementing the different aspects of various offenses already utilized in the NFL, without trying to learn a collegiate based offenses and adding them to your own system or even devising a whole new system.

dogfish
10-25-2011, 04:26 AM
You play the game for a reason!

"Hellooo! You play to not lose the game!!"

- Mike McCoy

Timmy!
10-25-2011, 08:28 AM
"Hellooo! You play to not lose the game!!"

- Mike McCoy

tard.....do u think the lions are who we think they are?

pipes
10-25-2011, 10:49 AM

And we might let em off the hook!

FlyByU
10-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Given the right plays, and McStupid getting ass chewed for all then stupid plays he called in the first 55min of the game then I feel if McStupid calls at least normal OC plays we have a chance to win.

I don't see many win's unless McCoy/McStupid gets his head outa his arse and gets some fresh air so his brain will function on a normal bases. Then maybe we can win more games. It is all up to McCoy and McFox.

I Eat Staples
10-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Given the right plays, and McStupid getting ass chewed for all then stupid plays he called in the first 55min of the game then I feel if McStupid calls at least normal OC plays we have a chance to win.

I don't see many win's unless McCoy/McStupid gets his head outa his arse and gets some fresh air so his brain will function on a normal bases. Then maybe we can win more games. It is all up to McCoy and McFox.

And the players. You know, the ones who play the game?

FlyByU
10-25-2011, 11:14 AM
And the players. You know, the ones who play the game?

Players can only play what is given to them if the coaching sets them up to fail then they fail, if it was done by ignorance it's one thing but I cannot see that anyone in the NFL as a Coach can be as stupid as the last 2 HC's we have had and this stupid OC.

underrated29
10-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Playoffs. PLAYOFFS!?

Too soon?

NightTerror218
10-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I hope Suh doesnt cheap shot one of our players or injure any. I have watched him, he is a dirty cheap shot player. But he is sooo good.

dogfish
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM

probably. . . i just wish we were playing at their place so i could make jokes about tebow in the lions' den. . .

:heh:

dogfish
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM
I hope Suh doesnt cheap shot one of our players or injure any. I have watched him, he is a dirty cheap shot player. But he is sooo good.

if suh gets lined up against beadles, he'll have to be careful not to kill the poor overmatched little fella. . . .

BigDaddyBronco
10-25-2011, 12:14 PM
if suh gets lined up against beadles, he'll have to be careful not to kill the poor overmatched little fella. . . .

Maybe we can get some guy to sleep with Beadles wife Saturday night. He'll need to be royally pissed to do any good at all.

NightTerror218
10-25-2011, 12:20 PM

They will prob double team Suh with Watson. Who knows how Fairley will play.....i have not seen him. I think he is playing now.

dogfish
10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Maybe we can get some guy to sleep with Beadles wife Saturday night. He'll need to be royally pissed to do any good at all.

where's hillis when you need him?

jhildebrand
10-25-2011, 12:23 PM

That's exactly where i was going when I posted that. :D

Glad you picked up on it :salute:

pipes
10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
where's hillis when you need him?

I don't get it.
:sad:

Cugel
10-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I HAVE NEWS FOR YOU!!

detroit runs the spread

No they don't. :coffee:

They operate out of the shot-gun a lot as do the Patriots and a bunch of other teams. That is NOT the "spread offense."

I'm talking about the Urban Meyer college spread offense where the QB lines up in the shotgun with 3-4 wide-outs and no RBs and runs the pass/run option as their base offense.

That will never happen in the NFL.

Can they put Tebow in the shot-gun some of the time? Sure. They did last game. It didn't work because Tebow kept missing wide open WRs and holding onto the ball and taking sacks and running with the ball instead of throwing it.

But, as John Fox said to a reporter who asked him this very question: "Well, if you looked at the film we instituted a bunch of plays where Tim lined up in the shot-gun."

underrated29
10-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Actually they do run a form of spread.

Notice I never said shotgun, every team runs the shotty at points in time. I am aware that shotty is not spread.

And Dets spread is the closest thing to spread seen in college and if I am not mistaken its also pretty similar to what stafford ran in college too. But since I do not watch college I have no actual idea as to what he really ran.

Cugel
10-25-2011, 05:40 PM
One of two points, first and foremost of which is that the shotgun is not a spread formation. The shotgun evolved from the single wing back in 1930's, and was first used in the NFL sparingly, then most notably by the New York Jet's in the 70's with Joe Namath. In 1975 Tom Landry devised an offensive scheme along with Jim Myers that he felt could counter his own innovative 4-3 defense, the basis of that offense was the precursor to the modern day shotgun formation. Few teams used the shotgun during the 80's, but with the pass happiness of the 90's, the shotgun formation exploded back onto the scene and was implemented in almost every known professional offense.

The shotgun formation is rather new to the spread offensive systems, because for one the spread option offense or spread offense itself is rather new, but it wasn't until the changes of the current decade that the spread offenses both at the collegiate and professional level began to utilize the shotgun formation.

Currently there are six different pro-spread offenses; the Erhardt-Perkins, Martz Spread, Air-Earhardt, Weiss Spread, Wild Cat and of course the Pistol.

As to the whole McCoy comment, I was trying to explain that it's hard enough to be a moderately good offensive coordinator, and implementing the different aspects of various offenses already utilized in the NFL, without trying to learn a collegiate based offenses and adding them to your own system or even devising a whole new system.

Nice explanation. Most fans wrongly equate the shot-gun with the spread offense. Not at all the same.

The Broncos will line up Tebow in the shot-gun plenty. They will NOT institute the Florida Gators offense in the NFL. For obvious reasons.

Cugel
10-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Actually they do run a form of spread.

Notice I never said shotgun, every team runs the shotty at points in time. I am aware that shotty is not spread.

And Dets spread is the closest thing to spread seen in college and if I am not mistaken its also pretty similar to what stafford ran in college too. But since I do not watch college I have no actual idea as to what he really ran.

Detroit did use to run the Wild-cat a bit, but it was more of a gimmick than anything else. And now they're paying their QB a $72 million contract with $41.75 million guaranteed, I don't think they really want to run Stafford all that much. :coffee:

I haven't seen them do that at all this year, but I haven't watched all of their games.

CrazyHorse
10-31-2011, 04:20 AM
Looks like I wasn't right. That wasn't pretty to watch.