PDA

View Full Version : It WAS Slowik !!

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Rocky Mountain News has stated that the final straw was Shanny wouldn't fire Slowik.

Just saw it on Channel 4.

spikerman
12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised.

CoachChaz
Good for Bowlen. In one form or another, it appears Shanny has been holding the defense back and the changes needed to be made.

NameUsedBefore
Doesn't surprise. It was pretty much agreed that if Slowik stayed and the Broncos next season was poor then Mike had to be shown the door. I have to wonder if there's more behind this though... I mean... there's better coaches to get yourself fired for.

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Vic Lombardi said that Bowlen called the firing a "football operations" move.

Meaning that he liked the coach, didn't like the director of football operations.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM

Meaning that he liked the coach, didn't like the director of football operations.

It's both I think. . .gotta be.

gnomeflinger
12-30-2008, 07:25 PM

Are you saying that Bowlen got the directive from his bosses?

Gamechanger
12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
its one of those days i say thank god for Ron Meeks

but you guys can take him, more than likely he's gonna be a candidate

GEM
12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Rocky Mountain News has stated that the final straw was Shanny wouldn't fire Slowik.

Just saw it on Channel 4.

Shanny, I always took your for a somewhat intelligent guy. Getting fired for Dimwit? You're an idiot. :salute: Love ya but you're an idiot.

girler
12-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Shanny, I always took your for a somewhat intelligent guy. Getting fired for Dimwit? You're an idiot. :salute: Love ya but you're an idiot.

Maybe Shanny got tired and this was a good way to get out. :noidea:

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 07:29 PM
He forced Bowlens hand.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

GEM
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Maybe Shanny got tired and this was a good way to get out. :noidea:

Very well could be. I don't know where he's going to go where they are going to give him so much power. Browns are without GM and HC. KC is without GM and KC. I don't know that those would be destinations of his choice, but the need for power can be fulfilled there.

girler
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Very well could be. I don't know where he's going to go where they are going to give him so much power. Browns are without GM and HC. KC is without GM and KC. I don't know that those would be destinations of his choice, but the need for power can be fulfilled there.

I haven't heard a thing, but just my own observations make me think he needs a lower stress job. His eyeballs were about to pop out of his head a few too many times this year.

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
He and Slowik are good friends. If this is indeed true, (which I won't believe it until I see it or hear it myself) then I don't really understand it. I know they're friends, but Shanahan as well as anyone knows that the NFL is a business. Must have been hard for Bowlen to let Shanahan go. I can't even imagine the emotions going through both men when Bowlen let him know. This is a sad day for the Denver Broncos. It shouldn't have ended like this.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 07:35 PM

How can you like Shanny as a GM or dictator or whatever if he wanted to stick with Slowik?

Good for Bowlen if Shanny got too big for his britches. It was about time for a change anyway.

Benetto
Losing your job over a guy who can't coordinate a decent defense, is truly moronic...You are supposed to put feelings and friendships aside when dealing with a multi-million dollar NFL team...

Someone please throw a rock at No-dick's car when he's leaving town...:mad:

I have never wished someone I dont know, bad luck....but I hope Bob Slowik is bombarded with bad times and grief...Cause he just caused houndreds of thousands of fans to lose all hope for the future.

We all know what to expect from a shanny fielded team, now we don't know when or for how long we will have another team in contension.

F U Bob!!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
He and Slowik are good friends. If this is indeed true, (which I won't believe it until I see it or hear it myself) then I don't really understand it. I know they're friends, but Shanahan as well as anyone knows that the NFL is a business. Must have been hard for Bowlen to let Shanahan go. I can't even imagine the emotions going through both men when Bowlen let him know. This is a sad day for the Denver Broncos. It shouldn't have ended like this.

I heard Vic Lombardi on Channel 4 say it the first time, and he repeated it again that he was told by someone inside the Rocky Mountain News that Pat ask Mike to fire Slowik, and Mike said no, and it cost him his job.

Superchop 7
Adam Schefter said he talked to Shanahan and Shanny was very surprised by his dismissal.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Looks like Slowik has made my list. What a tool.

Max Power
12-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Looks like Shanny's refusal to fire Slowik triggered his ouster...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/30/shanahan-broncos-agree-part-ways/

Bowlen wanted Shanahan to make changes on the team's coaching staff, particularly with defensive coordinator Bob Slowik, and Shanahan refused.

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I heard Vic say it the first time, and he repeated it again that he was told by someone inside the Rocky Mountain News that Pat ask Mike to fire Slowik, and Mike said no, and it cost him his job.

Thanks Carol. I just read about it in another thread too. I'm quite surprised. Shanahan knows as well as anyone that this is a business. Was not firing Slowik really worth it? I just don't get it. Maybe Mike didn't think that he would get fired for it, but still. You don't stick up for a guy who did such a horrible job this year. He should have just fired him, got a new D coordinator. Shanahan had to be stubborn and now it's come down to this. Pretty much sucks.

EastCoastBronco
12-30-2008, 07:45 PM

It needed to end like this. How the hell else was it going to end? It should have been done 2 years ago and we might have had another playoff game or 2 under our belt.
I love Shanny and love what he and Elway and TD and Rod Smith and Edie Mac did for the Broncos but his welcome as HC was worn out. We have all been subjected to a hell of a lot of medocrity lately and it took something like what happened today to crack out of the rut.
I'm just waiting for the chorus of "show me somebody better" to start warming up. Look at our last 8 years (excluding 2005) and you will realize that there are a lot better out there.
Shanny was tired and bored and complacent. If he were HC of any other team he would have been shown the door a couple of seasons ago...maybe sooner. Suffice it to say, in todays market, 2 superbowl rings buys you exactly 10 years of futility without recourse. Blowing a 3 game lead in the shittiest division in football finally made that bill come due...I find it very ironic that Shanny used 2-3 other d-coordinators as scapegoats and then Bowlen winds up using the same tack...only it's because he wouldn't fire a d-coordinator....weird shit.
Thank you Shanny for the good times but it is time to ride off into the blue and orange sunset...