PDA

View Full Version : Just Wanna Make Sure DJ Gets His Props for the Win Today

Joel
10-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Tebow played fantastically well in the last 5:00 (well enough to make me wonder wtf he was for the first 55:00, but no complaints about success) yet DJs clutch hat trick to set up the FG should not be overlooked: Sack, forced fumble AND the recovery. Considering the offense didn't get a single first down in OT and netted 0 yards on that drive, that was a HUGE play: It won the game. DJ really stepped up, as he always has. At this point he's one of our oldest veterans, a top producer year in and year out, despite having played no less than FOUR linebacker spots under three coaches.

DJ lacks the size to play Sam and it was cruel to make him try, and the same applies to a lesser extent with MLB--but he tried anyway without complaints despite being a Pro Bowl caliber player at his natural Will position. Enter a new coach and a 3-4 and DJ found himself critically needed at inside linebacker in a whole new defensive system, where he quickly adapted and played well on a defence where few did. He always plays his heart out without grumbling, even when asked to do the impossible, and, IMHO, does not get nearly the appreciation he deserves for that. It was... disapponting to see so many ready to throw the teams leading tackler to the wolves over a single DUI; I won't pretend that's anything to be proud of, but since I can't watch a Ravens game without being told a guy who literally got away with murder is a lock for the Hall of Fame, he could have done far worse. It wasn't a pattern, he took his lumps for it and he's kept his nose clean since.

One of the few memorable plays for me last season was DJ diving to tackle a runner for a two yard loss THROUGH an offensive linemen almost right at the snap. That's how DJ Williams played on a 4-12 team under an interim coach in the aftermath of Spygate II. He plays like that every down of every game because that's the kind of committed player he is, not because he's "looking for a big pay day" or building a highlight reel for another team. DJ's spent his entire career in Denver and doesn't look likely to go anywhere else, even though a lot of teams would be glad to have a quality coverage linebacker in the era of spread offenses, check down receivers and huge wide outs. I'm certainly glad we still have him, and very glad to see him on the field, healthy and winning games for us; I can only hope to continue seeing it for many years to come.

For today, my enthusiastic thanks to DJ for yet another job very well done and the kind of game winning play I've come to expect without ever taking for granted. :salute:

DenBronx
10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
I didnt know you were still on the Broncos because I havent seen you make a play in about 5 years.

But, thanks DJ!

BroncoNut
10-23-2011, 06:13 PM
I like this thread and I agree Joel. DJ seems to be kinda underappreciated alot of the time and he did have a great game today from the little I saw.

Northman
10-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Now if he could just make plays like this every week.

Timmy!
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
lol. i bet beef threw a battery at him

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broken12
10-23-2011, 07:31 PM
he sure has been playing good imo......

pnbronco
10-23-2011, 07:38 PM
I think he has been playing really hard and hope for a much better year for him.

Beef we both know that Mays is the hottest......:D

BeefStew25
10-23-2011, 08:30 PM
I asked Tubby who number 55 was.

Rex
10-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Tubby. Please praise DJ Williams right here____________________________________

tia

vandammage13
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
DJ had a great game...good call on giving him props.

While we're talking about defensive guys, I really thought Woodyard had another solid game for us...I like his consistency.

Also, I want to give props to rookie Chris Harris. Kid had two huge pass defenses in crunch time. He is an under the radar guy, but I like what I saw and I'm hoping he can turn into a servicable DB for us.

Way to come up big in crunch time Chris...:cheers:

Joel
10-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I like this thread and I agree Joel. DJ seems to be kinda underappreciated alot of the time and he did have a great game today from the little I saw.
I think it was easy to miss him all the times he was being asked to do things for which he's really not suited (except, of course, when opposing offenses had success BECAUSE of his unsuitability for his assigned role.) That has to be discouraging, but DJ just keeps plugging away, which one of the reasons I like him so much; now that he's back in his best position I hope to see more great things from him, like the play against the 'Phins Sunday.

Well, no one can do everything on every down (and the frequency with which DJ's asked to do that illustrates the point well.)

I think he has been playing really hard and hope for a much better year for him.

Beef we both know that Mays is the hottest......:D
I'll leave ya'll to debate that one, but it was good to see DJ healthy again, 'cos he ALWAYS plays hard; now it's doubly good to see because he's also playing well.

I asked Tubby who number 55 was.
Eight years as a starter at four different positions under four different coaches (one of whom was downright eager to shed starters) suggest the fault for forgetting his number may not lie with DJ. ;)

DJ had a great game...good call on giving him props.

While we're talking about defensive guys, I really thought Woodyard had another solid game for us...I like his consistency.

Also, I want to give props to rookie Chris Harris. Kid had two huge pass defenses in crunch time. He is an under the radar guy, but I like what I saw and I'm hoping he can turn into a servicable DB for us.

Way to come up big in crunch time Chris...:cheers:
He did look pretty good on those plays, not perfect, but, as you say, making key plays at a key time, which is very encouraging in a rookie, particularly given how our CB talent drops off once you get past Champ. Woodyard looks pertty good, too, which may be part of the reason people aren't as fond of DJ as in years past: They don't want to see the vet stop the progression of a talented young player, which I can understand. The way I see it it just means we're rock solid at Will, and maybe have another option than a standard nickel on third and long. A big Mile High Salute to each of our defensive studs who played a whale of a game Sunday, only allowing 15 points, including the only TD that came on a shortfield after a Broncos turnover on our end of the field. Way to get the job done, not give up and pull out the win guys; that's the kind of gutsy quality play that will win us playoff games once we have an offense that performs at the same consistently high level. :salute:

Northman
10-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Well, no one can do everything on every down (and the frequency with which DJ's asked to do that illustrates the point well.)

Every down? No. But it would be nice to see it more than once in a blue moon from a guy selected in the first round.

BeefStew25
10-26-2011, 03:19 PM
It is kinda nice he finally played up to his contract.

NightTerror218
10-26-2011, 04:08 PM

He is over shadowed by Miller and his 6 sacks and 2 FF.......Dj who again were we talking about?

Joel
10-27-2011, 12:33 AM
He is over shadowed by Miller and his 6 sacks and 2 FF.......Dj who again were we talking about?
The kind of thing that makes me think Millers long term role isn't envisioned as Will. Run stopping and blitzing aren't normally the Wills bread and butter, though obviously he has to do both reasonably well. The main things that distinguishe Will from Sam and Mike, however, are the speed and coverage skills to handle passes to backs, receiving tight ends and "possession" (i.e. #3) receivers. A Will who can't do that is just a lightweight Sam (which, once again, was the biggest problem with trying to make a Sam out of DJ.) That, combined with his collegiate performance as a 3-4 OLB (which is closer to a 4-3 Mike than a Will) probably has a lot to do why Miller's playing Sam rather than Will in Denver, where he'll naturally have a lot more sacks and stuffed runs: Those are in his job description. Mike and Sam will always overshadow Will, but as long as guys like Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzales (three elite receiving TEs with whom DJ is QUITE familiar) continue to be ever more popular. A lot of folks seem to think Moreno is only good as a receiver; if he were on an opposing team, I'd much rather have him covered by DJ than by any of our DBs (or Miller; maybe with a few years experience, but not yet.) In a lot of ways, Wills can be similar to NTs in that you're more likely to notice when they MISS a play than when they make one.

All THAT said, DJ's led the team in tackles 2 of the last 3 years; if people aren't seeing him all I can suggest is watching more games. :tongue:

Joel
12-12-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm bumping myself (and before you judge, remember: YOU'RE watching me! :tongue:)