PDA

View Full Version : Denver's offensive play calling

broncofaninfla
10-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I know the game is being hyped around Tebow but Denver FINALLY deciding to open the play calling up in the last minutes of the game was the true difference maker. For 55 minutes I witnessed the most pathetic consevative play calling I have EVER witnessed. When the game was dire, the play calling opened up and good things started to happen. Fox/McCoys offense is like watching Dan Reeves call plays on valium.

Granted some players were having bad games including Tebow but the play calling was way too predictable and conservative. A DC like Nolan will disrupt a scheme like that with ease.

At this point I'm not totally sold on Tebow but I'm more sold on him than I am Fox and McCoy. I'm glad we won, it was an excitig finish but Denver needs to open it up on offense. Two weeks of prep time and that is what they came up with???

DenBronx
10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Oh you don't remember last year? We we're just as conservative. Now everyones paying attention because we have a QB switch.

Same mediocre play calling.

Not sure why we even kept McCoy.

dogfish
10-23-2011, 06:21 PM
fugly. . .

mccoy is a ****in' disaster area, dude needs to go in the worst way. . .

broncofaninfla
10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm glad we won but I won't let the offensive play calling off the hook. That was nothing short of pathetic.

BroncoNut
10-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Denver's offensive play calling is offensive

Locnar
10-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Denver's offensive play calling is offensive

Borderline harassment if you ask me..

BroncoNut
10-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Locnar, you're in Iowa huh? where at?

Locnar
10-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Locnar, you're in Iowa huh? where at?

I live in Garner now (near Clear Lake), but I grew up and spent most of my years in the Ames area.

You from Iowa?

BroncoNut
10-23-2011, 06:45 PM
I live in Garner now (near Clear Lake), but I grew up and spent most of my years in the Ames area.

You from Iowa?

I'm from Cedar Rapids. I went to iowa state.

Locnar
10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
I lived in Cedar Rapids for a year. But got a good job offer so we moved to Northern Iowa.

Spent a lot of time partying around Iowa State.

BroncoNut
10-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I lived in Cedar Rapids for a year. But got a good job offer so we moved to Northern Iowa.

clear lake,,, hmm. is that north central or northwest or am I way off.

Locnar
10-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Straight up I35 by Mason City. It's all Vikings fans and Cheese heads up here.

RyanC
10-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Nevermind...

I missed most of the game, I was wondering about the play calling, gonna have to re-watch

BroncoNut
10-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Fun Fact: Kirk Ferentz Is my Uncle (By Marriage).

No shit. I love Kirk. Great Pennsylvanian

RyanC
10-23-2011, 07:07 PM
No shit. I love Kirk. Great Pennsylvanian

Oh cool then I figured you might be a Cyclones fan! Yeah, my uncle is married to his sister. My cousin (her Daughter) lives right down the street, she actually looks a lot like him (same pointy kinda face).

BroncoNut
10-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Oh cool then I figured you might be a Cyclones fan! Yeah, my uncle is married to his sister. My cousin (her Daughter) lives right down the street, she actually looks a lot like him (same pointy kinda face).

oh yeah? Is she single and looking? (just kidding)

Growing up in CR the hawkeyes have always been my team. Pretty much diehard Iowa football. Not near as big on the Clones, but certainly don't hate them for the interstate rivalry like some seem too. And heck they are my alma mater. But I did my graduate work there, not my undergrad and that does make a difference. So, I do follow them, but on Iowa/Iowa State gameday, I'm always for the Hawkeyes.

atwater27
10-23-2011, 07:16 PM
It truly looked to me that the playcalling was trying to make Tebow look bad and lose the game. That said. Timmy missed some wide open receivers. I mean, missed them so bad my TV almost threw up.

RyanC
10-23-2011, 07:23 PM
oh yeah? Is she single and looking? (just kidding)

Growing up in CR the hawkeyes have always been my team. Pretty much diehard Iowa football. Not near as big on the Clones, but certainly don't hate them for the interstate rivalry like some seem too. And heck they are my alma mater. But I did my graduate work there, not my undergrad and that does make a difference. So, I do follow them, but on Iowa/Iowa State gameday, I'm always for the Hawkeyes.

Yeah she's single and frickin hot, I've always been kinda pissed that she's my cousin (step- but that's still weird). Kirk is a stand up guy.

atwater27
10-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Good lord guys, can ya take it to the PM's or get a room? We're trying to talk football here.

BigDaddyBronco
10-23-2011, 07:29 PM
BTW, Iowa sucks!

dogfish
10-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Good lord guys, can ya take it to the PM's or get a room? We're trying to talk football here.

quit trying to cockblock nut. . . .

:heh:

Ravage!!!
10-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Every fan base of every team complains about the play calling. As if the fans are the ones that have spent 40 hours studying film, and were a part of any game planning.... or for that matter... know how to game plan.

The offense looked soo bad because they couldn't execute anything. You guys want to take hold of your controller, hit your blue and red buttons, and try YOUR plays. If they work, great... if they don't.. you'll button smash some more.

If our QB could hit a pass, if our receivers could catch a pass, and if we could keep them from LITERALLY stacking 8 players on the the blitzes..... the game probably would have gone better. But we don't/didn't.

broncofaninfla
10-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Every fan base of every team complains about the play calling. As if the fans are the ones that have spent 40 hours studying film, and were a part of any game planning.... or for that matter... know how to game plan.

The offense looked soo bad because they couldn't execute anything. You guys want to take hold of your controller, hit your blue and red buttons, and try YOUR plays. If they work, great... if they don't.. you'll button smash some more.

If our QB could hit a pass, if our receivers could catch a pass, and if we could keep them from LITERALLY stacking 8 players on the the blitzes..... the game probably would have gone better. But we don't/didn't.

It's tough to execute when everybody in the stadium knows what you are going to do. The conservative and predictable play calling nearly cost Denver the game against arguably the worst team in football. In regards to play calling... At some point this team needs to stop playing not to lose and play to win.

CrazyHorse
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
It's almost as though Marty Schottenheimer or Dan Reeves were our head coach.

jlarsiii
10-23-2011, 10:50 PM
It's tough to execute when everybody in the stadium knows what you are going to do. The conservative and predictable play calling nearly cost Denver the game against arguably the worst team in football. In regards to play calling... At some point this team needs to stop playing not to lose and play to win.

Love it. So what excuse are we going to use next week if Tebow looks bad?:coffee:

jlarsiii
10-23-2011, 10:51 PM
It truly looked to me that the playcalling was trying to make Tebow look bad and lose the game. That said. Timmy missed some wide open receivers. I mean, missed them so bad my TV almost threw up.

I agree because that is what coaches are looking to do since they don't want to keep their jobs or anything like that...:coffee:

Lancane
10-23-2011, 11:42 PM

That's no lie At, but I am not sure we can expect much from McCoy, the man did learn his craft from three questionable coordinators. I wonder if Elway will have the balls to fire McCoy after the season and replace him with someone that doesn't play conservative Foxball! Tebow needs to improve though, we can lay the proper blame at McCoy and Fox's feet, but some needs to remain at Tebow's feet as well...this was some ugly football, real ugly.

G_Money
10-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Tebow would have made any playcaller look bad for those first 3 quarters, but my God, McCoy needs a trip to see the Wizard of Oz to get both balls AND a brain. Here's hoping both of them improve at using what the other man provides so we can win some games down the rest of the schedule.

~G

silkamilkamonico
10-24-2011, 12:13 AM
The placalling in OT was absolutely pitiful. You get great field possession around midfield, and then proceed to call 2 run up the middle plays, and a 1 read passing play? Absolutely pathetic.

Then you get the turnover and the opponents 40, and you have 3 garbage run plays to set up a 52 yard FG for a kicker who missed 2 earlier today? Just brutal.

Denver isn't going to win anything of importance with these jackasses calling the plays on offense.

Get a real OC already Elway!!

dogfish
10-24-2011, 12:16 AM
mike mccoy is who we thought he was. . . . :heh:

underrated29
10-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Don't get me started on McCoy. I've been hating on him for three years now. Say what you want about Tebow in the beginning. He was as bad as the playcalling. Totally serious.....Miami sends the entire freaking house on third and thirteen and what does McCoy call a thirteen yard out.....no screen, not quick hitch, hot read, Max protect, nothing...nothing to counter the damn blitz. Absolutely pathetic!

Canmore
10-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Don't get me started on McCoy. I've been hating on him for three years now. Say what you want about Tebow in the beginning. He was as bad as the playcalling. Totally serious.....Miami sends the entire freaking house on third and thirteen and what does McCoy call a thirteen yard out.....no screen, not quick hitch, hot read, Max protect, nothing...nothing to counter the damn blitz. Absolutely pathetic!

My brother and I discussed the play calling after the game and were in agreement that it did Tebow no favors. McGahee was running effectively early but did they mix it up or play to Tebow's strengths? No. Still run, run, pass and punt. The play calling was juvenile. :tsk:

broncofaninfla
10-24-2011, 05:15 AM
Love it. So what excuse are we going to use next week if Tebow looks bad?:coffee:

First of all I am NOT a Tebow fan, I'm a Bronco fan. I'm from Denver now reside in Florida and have been a loyal fan since 1977. My college team is FSU, I didn't start pulling for Tebow until he became a Bronco.

This thread is about Denver's play calling, Denver won in spite of the play calling and only after they opened the offense. For 55 minutes this team stunk it up on offense and would have done so with anybody under center. The play calling was beyond conservitive, it was pathetic.

Rex
10-24-2011, 07:25 AM
I think McCoy needs a helmet and towel to wipe off the drool.

Tned
10-24-2011, 07:37 AM
I'm not going to try and absolve Tebow of any blame for first 55 minutes of the game, but at the same time, I can't ignore the roll that McCoy/Fox played in the struggles.

Peter King said this about the playcalling in his Monday Morning QB:

1. I'm sure this is because Tebow hasn't given offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and coach John Fox reason to think he's ready to play an Aaron Rodgers, bombs-away type of game, but that was the most conservative, buttoned-up gameplan Denver had for most of the game. If you're going to give the guy a chance to win the starting job, you've got to let him play more than this gameplan allowed. A win's a win, but I thought the Broncos were to the right of Michele Bachmann in the game.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/10/24/Week7/index.html#ixzz1bhZRpzw1

While I haven't gone back and confirmed this, I believe that McCoy called run plays on 13 of the first 14 1st downs. I think the first pass play was called on the 13th pass play, which was wiped out by a penalty, and then they followed up with a run on 1st and 15, making the record show 13 straight runs on 1st down, but I'll call it 13 of 14.

You can't expect a young QB to get in any kind of rhythm when you put him in passing situations only when he's in 2nd/3rd and mid-to-long situations. You have to mix it up. Even thought McGahee was running well, they should have mixed things up, given him more first down and short yardage throws. Let him take a couple deep shots on first down, or even 3rd and short, to give him a chance to get in the flow of the game. 5 pass attempts (plus some of the sacks that were called as passes) is not enough attempts in the first half.

Even after the defense got the Broncos the ball back in overtime, and they only needed 20 yards or so for an easy field goal, McCoy called two draws and then a Tebow run up the middle for a total gain of 5 yards and a punt.

This is the NFL, take the training wheels off BEFORE the team is down by 15 points with 5:00 minutes left in the game. Let him prove he can be an NFL QB or prove he can't.

Of the six new QBs taking over as their team's starter this week, only Tebow won. Yes, he did it ugly for most of the game. Yes, it was against the Dolphins.

Yes, the Broncos became the first team since 1970 to win a game when trailing by 15+ points with 3:00 left in the game.

Let him play.

SoCalImport
10-24-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm not going to try and absolve Tebow of any blame for first 55 minutes of the game, but at the same time, I can't ignore the roll that McCoy/Fox played in the struggles.

While I haven't gone back and confirmed this, I believe that McCoy called run plays on 13 of the first 14 1st downs. I think the first pass play was called on the 13th pass play, which was wiped out by a penalty, and then they followed up with a run on 1st and 15, making the record show 13 straight runs on 1st down, but I'll call it 13 of 14.

You can't expect a young QB to get in any kind of rhythm when you put him in passing situations only when he's in 2nd/3rd and mid-to-long situations. You have to mix it up. Even thought McGahee was running well, they should have mixed things up, given him more first down and short yardage throws. Let him take a couple deep shots on first down, or even 3rd and short, to give him a chance to get in the flow of the game. 5 pass attempts (plus some of the sacks that were called as passes) is not enough attempts in the first half.

Even after the defense got the Broncos the ball back in overtime, and they only needed 20 yards or so for an easy field goal, McCoy called two draws and then a Tebow run up the middle for a total gain of 5 yards and a punt.

This is the NFL, take the training wheels off BEFORE the team is down by 15 points with 5:00 minutes left in the game. Let him prove he can be an NFL QB or prove he can't.

Of the six new QBs taking over as their team's starter this week, only Tebow won. Yes, he did it ugly for most of the game. Yes, it was against the Dolphins.

Yes, the Broncos became the first team since 1970 to win a game when trailing by 15+ points with 3:00 left in the game.

Let him play.

all too true. I didn't like what I saw from Tebow until he pulled out some magic at the end, but the play calling was BEYOND conservative. I wouldn't be opposed at all calling the game with a lot of shotgun. Hell, call it on first down once in a while. It is what our QB does best afterall.

vandammage13
10-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Let him play.

^^THIS^^

You can't give a kid 8 passing attempts through 3 quarters and expect him to do anything.

You've got to at least let the kid fail on his own, not assist him in failing.

What bugged me most was that it was only when the coaches had no choice but to throw with 3+ minutes left that they took the reins off and then Tebow looked pretty good.

Then after bringing us back after the offense was opened up, the coaches got in the way again in OT with their abysmal playcalling. I will accept the 3 runs after the fins turnover (even though I didn't exactly like that either), but the first possession of OT when we had good field position was just embarassing playcalling.

At one point there were 13 straight 1st downs where we ran the ball...talk about predictable...No QB can look good under those circumstances.

Hey Fox/McCoy...get out of the way and let the kid play. That conservative crap the first 55 minutes of the game and OT do nothing to help this team win.

FlyByU
10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
That's no lie At, but I am not sure we can expect much from McCoy, the man did learn his craft from three questionable coordinators. I wonder if Elway will have the balls to fire McCoy after the season and replace him with someone that doesn't play conservative Foxball! Tebow needs to improve though, we can lay the proper blame at McCoy and Fox's feet, but some needs to remain at Tebow's feet as well...this was some ugly football, real ugly.

I say fire him now and say it is a late Firing we forget to get to you when McD was fired. Sorry the FO took so long to get this info to you but good luck with actually calling any good game with another team. Oh and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

BroncoNut
10-24-2011, 08:55 AM
I think McCoy needs a helmet and towel to wipe off the drool.

I handed out tootsie rolls this weekend for people like McCoy

TXBRONC
10-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I didn't have a problem with play calling. We were running the ball effectively. I think everyone who toted ball yesterday averaged 4 ypc or better. Tebow was off target on several passes, Tebow and the receiving corp were not in sync and there were also some drops.

Mike
10-24-2011, 09:15 AM
^^THIS^^

You can't give a kid 8 passing attempts through 3 quarters and expect him to do anything.

You've got to at least let the kid fail on his own, not assist him in failing.

What bugged me most was that it was only when the coaches had no choice but to throw with 3+ minutes left that they took the reins off and then Tebow looked pretty good.

Then after bringing us back after the offense was opened up, the coaches got in the way again in OT with their abysmal playcalling. I will accept the 3 runs after the fins turnover (even though I didn't exactly like that either), but the first possession of OT when we had good field position was just embarassing playcalling.

At one point there were 13 straight 1st downs where we ran the ball...talk about predictable...No QB can look good under those circumstances.

Hey Fox/McCoy...get out of the way and let the kid play. That conservative crap the first 55 minutes of the game and OT do nothing to help this team win.

And how about bringing Decker, Fells, Royal over the middle with short drag routes? Help Tebow by getting him into a rhythm early.

I have no doubt about the fault lying with McCoy. Watch last year's game with Tebow. The first half they ran the same style game plan and then opened it up a bit in the second and Tebow played better. IMO, McCoy has shown less aptitude for his position with the team than Tebow.

Totally agree. Stop trying to pound a square peg into a round hole and let Tebow play how he is most effective. Screw typical offense and QB styles. Go with what helps the player and it will help your team.

Traveler
10-24-2011, 09:23 AM
And how about bringing Decker, Fells, Royal over the middle with short drag routes? Help Tebow by getting him into a rhythm early.

I have no doubt about the fault lying with McCoy. Watch last year's game with Tebow. The first half they ran the same style game plan and then opened it up a bit in the second and Tebow played better. IMO, McCoy has shown less aptitude for his position with the team than Tebow.

Totally agree. Stop trying to pound a square peg into a round hole and let Tebow play how he is most effective. Screw typical offense and QB styles. Go with what helps the player and it will help your team.

From the comments by CAR fans, we'd better get used to this type of offense. Their major complaint of Fox was much the same as being stated above. Too run heavy.

Hopefully, Elway will be true to his word and not let this offense become similar what he endured with Dan Reeevs.

BroncoNut
10-24-2011, 09:27 AM
UR29, what are your thoughts on McCoy?

arapaho2
10-24-2011, 12:53 PM
2 things on this game concerning the offense

1st tebow was bad... not kinda bad but horrible bad for most of the game....he missed decker on a wide open td by 5 yards...he missed the te by a freaking mile to keep a drive going...those are throws an nfl qb makes

that said i dont hold it against him considering the mass hysteria and hype going into the game...from hours after the sandiego game right up to game time its been a barage of tebow talk, ridicule, anger, hype and formost....pressure applied to his shoulders....i understand the presure he felt and can see why a young qb would be overthinking his throws, unsure

2nd was the game calling...it was equally as bad...as i stated over a week ago the best way to get him into the game was about 60% of his passes from shotgun...with alot of slants, quick outs or crossing patterens....it was also a must to get the TE involvd early as its always said...the TE is the young qbs best friend

we did none of that other than a good mix of sg and db attempts...it seemed every passing down was a deep route ...nothing quick or shallow to get him into the game, to ease the pass rush...just slow developing routes which the line didnt afford him time to get the pass off very often

it wasnt a tebow miracle that suddenly with less than 3 minutes to go decker was open coming across the middle, or willis, or that the TE got involved....it was a complete change of offensive playcalling that allowed tebow to make something happen

tebow will struggle with accuracy this season...with timeing it takes time to develop a repor with the wrs....but he will look like shit week in and out if mccoy keeps the offensive schme he employed the first 3 .5 qrts for the next ten games

BroncoStud
10-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Everyone remember when KC had to start Tyler Thigpen? Chan Gailey installed a very aggressive spread offense for him and it worked GREAT. Tyler freaking Thigpen looked like a Pro Bowl QB. It is going to take that sort of innovation to give us a chance.

When Tebow is given an opportunity and urgency, he performs quite well, incredibly at times. When you bottle him up and play not to lose like they did at Oakland last year, the first half of the Texans game last year, and the first 3.5 quarters of yesterday's game, it is almost impossible.

I believe if you take the Chan Gaily approach and open it up for the QB guys like Tebow can thrive. This isn't 1982, it's 2011. Open up the playbook. Give him a chance to succeed.

dogfish
10-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Let him play.

absolutely. . . let the kid play through his mistakes ya poosies, it's the only way he's going to learn. . . give him a chance to get in rhythm, and also give him the chance to throw against eight in the box on first down. . . that stat of 13 first down runs in a row is flat-out assinine, even when you are running well. . .

and where the hell was the screen game yesterday???

if fox and mccoy think the game plan was justified because we won, they should both be punched in the face-- you aren't going to get that onside kick probably 95+% of the time, you can't rely on furious last-second comebacks every week no matter what penchant for the dramatic tim has. . . take the gloves off in the first quarter next time, please. . . tim really hasn't shown any great propensity to turn the ball over for as raw as he is, let's can the playing not to lose crap. . .

NightTerror218
10-24-2011, 01:31 PM
absolutely. . . let the kid play through his mistakes ya poosies, it's the only way he's going to learn. . . give him a chance to get in rhythm, and also give him the chance to throw against eight in the box on first down. . . that stat of 13 first down runs in a row is flat-out assinine, even when you are running well. . .

if fox and mccoy think the game plan was justified because we won, they should both be punched in the face-- you aren't going to get that onside kick probably 95+% of the time, you can't rely on furious last-second comebacks every week no matter what penchant for the dramatic tim has. . . take the gloves off in the first quarter next time, please. . . tim really hasn't shown any great propensity to turn the ball over for as raw as he is, let's can the playing not to lose crap. . .

The screen worked too well with Moreno last week, why try to repeat plays that work. They have to run run run.

NorCalBronco7
10-24-2011, 01:36 PM
I know the game is being hyped around Tebow but Denver FINALLY deciding to open the play calling up in the last minutes of the game was the true difference maker. For 55 minutes I witnessed the most pathetic consevative play calling I have EVER witnessed. When the game was dire, the play calling opened up and good things started to happen. Fox/McCoys offense is like watching Dan Reeves call plays on valium.

Granted some players were having bad games including Tebow but the play calling was way too predictable and conservative. A DC like Nolan will disrupt a scheme like that with ease.

At this point I'm not totally sold on Tebow but I'm more sold on him than I am Fox and McCoy. I'm glad we won, it was an excitig finish but Denver needs to open it up on offense. Two weeks of prep time and that is what they came up with???

I liked the gamplan. Run and play defense until we are forced to pass. A conservative approach with a young, inexperienced/inaccurate Qb at the helm. I dont get how people see Tebow play completely inept for most of the game say "Tebow should have thrown more!" or anything along those lines, especially with the kind of pressure Miami was getting.

The running game looked good for most of the game, and allowed the defense to stay fresh. Tebow only had one turnover. The playcalling kept us in the game more than likely and considering Tebow might be at his best at the end of the game, the offense did open up and allow Tebow to work his magic when it was only a two score game. I think thats the appoarch you have to take with Tebow until hes a more consistent passer and feels more confortable in this offense. Right now with Tebow its clear to me, the more conservative, the better.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Like I said in another thread but probably fits better here, I think the passing numbers are a little skewed. 7 sacks plus all the times Tebow pulled it down and ran were designed passing plays. Had Tebow gotten rid of the ball quicker, there would've been more attempts, not necessarily completions, but attempts.

TXBRONC

Listening to Elway I didn't sense he thought that just because they won that the game plan could justified.

slim
I liked the gamplan. Run and play defense until we are forced to pass. A conservative approach with a young, inexperienced/inaccurate Qb at the helm. I dont get how people see Tebow play completely inept for most of the game say "Tebow should have thrown more!" or anything along those lines, especially with the kind of pressure Miami was getting.

The running game looked good for most of the game, and allowed the defense to stay fresh. Tebow only had one turnover. The playcalling kept us in the game more than likely and considering Tebow might be at his best at the end of the game, the offense did open up and allow Tebow to work his magic when it was only a two score game. I think thats the appoarch you have to take with Tebow until hes a more consistent passer and feels more confortable in this offense. Right now with Tebow its clear to me, the more conservative, the better.

He was something like 3-5 for 24 yards at halftime (and one of those was a dropped pass). I don't see how people can say his play was "completely inept" for most of the game. He wasn't great, but he was hamstrung by one of the most conservative gameplans I have ever seen.

He had some really poor throws, I won't try to argue that. But calling him inept is a little much.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-24-2011, 01:44 PM

Tebow actually didn't have any turnovers. His fumble was recovered by Willis. McGahee's fumble was the only turnover of the game for us.

NorCalBronco7
10-24-2011, 01:49 PM
He was something like 3-5 for 24 yards at halftime (and one of those was a dropped pass). I don't see how people can say his play was "completely inept" for most of the game. He wasn't great, but he was hamstrung by one of the most conservative gameplans I have ever seen.

He had some really poor throws, I won't try to argue that. But calling him inept is a little much.

Considering the sacks Tebow took, whether his fault or not, Im not even sure the passing game resulted in positive yardage for the 55 minutes. The passing, for a combination of reasons, was aweful for most of the game.

slim
10-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Considering the sacks Tebow took, whether his fault or not, Im not even sure the passing game resulted in positive yardage for the 55 minutes. The passing, for a combination of reasons, was aweful for most of the game.

Yes, it wasn't pretty.

It looked to me like most of those sacks were on Tebow. Although sometimes it's hard to tell when watching on TV.

The bottom line is they need to let him throw the ball (like they did in the fourth quarter). If he fails, then so be it.

NorCalBronco7
10-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Tebow actually didn't have any turnovers. His fumble was recovered by Willis. McGahee's fumble was the only turnover of the game for us.

Thats right. I forgot about that. So Tebow had zero turnovers. In a ball control/defensive game, not turning the ball over is HUGE. And seeing the way Tebow play for most of the game, McCoy had to limited his chances to do so.

NorCalBronco7
10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Yes, it wasn't pretty.

It looked to me like most of those sacks were on Tebow. Although sometimes it's hard to tell when watching on TV.

The bottom line is they need to let him throw the ball (like they did in the fourth quarter). If he fails, then so be it.

The more productive/familier Tebow get in this offense, the more we'll see of the passing game. But considering how bad Tebow and the offensive line played, I cant say they should have thrown it more. To each his own.

slim
10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
The more productive/familier Tebow get in this offense, the more we'll see of the passing game. But considering how bad Tebow and the offensive line played, I cant say they should have thrown it more. To each his own.

So you thought throwing it around in the 4th quarter was a bad idea?

I gotta say, it seemed to work out pretty well.

BeefStew25
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Straight up I35 by Mason City. It's all Vikings fans and Cheese heads up here.

Isn't that where the Big Bopper went to be with God?

NorCalBronco7
10-24-2011, 02:07 PM
So you thought throwing it around in the 4th quarter was a bad idea?

I gotta say, it seemed to work out pretty well.

If you read what I first posted in this thread, I had no problem with the gameplan. When the Broncos are down by two scores the offense at some point needs to open up. With less than 3 mins, that was the right time.

Tned
10-24-2011, 04:13 PM

In the post game presser, Woody Paige asked Fox something like, "you said you passed some, but you only had 8 passes in the first three quarters" and Fox laughed and said, "that's some, Woody." Woody pushed him, and Fox made a crack about, only having 3 completions threw three quarters.

vandammage13
10-24-2011, 04:49 PM
If you read what I first posted in this thread, I had no problem with the gameplan. When the Broncos are down by two scores the offense at some point needs to open up. With less than 3 mins, that was the right time.

Actually, it was much too late to open it up.

You can't rely on a onside kick to get the ball back...Had they not recovered it, it wouldn't have mattered that they finally decided to open it up, so your thinking is flawed there.

They should have opened it up much sooner...probably starting in the 3rd quarter.

Their timing of opening it up didn't even give Tebow a chance to succeed or fail had the onside kick not been successful.

NorCalBronco7
10-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Actually, it was much too late to open it up.

You can't rely on a onside kick to get the ball back...Had they not recovered it, it wouldn't have mattered that they finally decided to open it up, so your thinking is flawed there.

They should have opened it up much sooner...probably starting in the 3rd quarter.

Their timing of opening it up didn't even give Tebow a chance to succeed or fail had the onside kick not been successful.

Tebow was so bad for most of the game that getting an onside kick had a better chance than Tebow completing a pass. It obviously WAS the right time because the Broncos won.

gatorpower
10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
I like Tebow, but to say they only opened it up/went to the shotgun in the final couple minutes is wrong. Here is the entire play calling from Sunday, not excluding calls that were invalided due to a penalty (I tried adding them up, but I'm bad at counting, so you may correct this as needed). This is just playcalling alone (for the 'first' 55 minutes).

Tebow struggled for most of the game. Struggled. He has a lot to work on.

Drive 1:

1st-10 (Under Center) RUSH
2nd-7 (Shotgun) PASS Complete
3rd-7 (Shotgun) RUSH

Drive 2:

1st-10 (Shotgun) RUSH
2nd-2 (Shotgun) RUSH
1st-10 (Shotgun) PASS, QB Scramble
2nd-11 (Shotgun) PASS, QB Scramble
3rd-10 (Shotgun) PASS Complete

Drive 3:

2nd-7 (Under Center) RUSH
2nd-12 (Shotgun) PASS Complete
3rd-11 (Shotgun) PASS, Sacked

Drive 4:

2nd-6 (Under Center) PASS Complete
2nd-4 (Under Center) RUSH
3rd-1 (Under Center) RUSH

Drive 5:

2nd-10 (Under Center) PASS Incomplete
3rd-10 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete
1st-10 (Under Center) RUSH (fumble)

Drive 6:

1st-10 (Under Center) PASS Incomplete
1st-15 (Shotgun) RUSH
2nd-10 (Under Center) PASS Complete
2nd-20 (Under Center) PASS, QB Scramble
1st-10 (Under Center) PASS, Sacked
2nd-18 (Shotgun) RUSH
3rd-14 (Shotgun) PASS, Sacked

Drive 7:

1st-10 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete
2nd-10 (Under Center) RUSH
3rd-10 (Shotgun) PASS, Sacked

Drive 8:

1st-8 (Under Center) RUSH
3rd-5 (Shotgun) RUSH

Drive 9:

2nd-10 (Shotgun) RUSH
3rd-8 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete

Drive 10:

2nd-4 (Shotgun) RUSH
2nd-10 (Shotgun) RUSH
3rd-11 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete

Drive 11:

2nd-10 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete

Shotgun:

Plays - 26
Rushes - 8
Pass Plays - 18
Sacks/Scrambles - 6
Passes Attempted - 12 (3/12, 25%)

Under Center:

Plays - 24
Rushes - 18
Pass Plays - 6
Sacks/Scrambles - 2
Passes Attempted - 4 (3/4, 75%)

NorCalBronco7
10-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Gatorpower I agree. The play calling was fine and there were A LOT more passing plays called then some of these guys are saying. The argument that the offense "opened up" in the last 3 minutes is about as stupid as you can get.

Tned
10-24-2011, 11:44 PM
I like Tebow, but to say they only opened it up/went to the shotgun in the final couple minutes is wrong. Here is the entire play calling from Sunday, not excluding calls that were invalided due to a penalty (I tried adding them up, but I'm bad at counting, so you may correct this as needed). This is just playcalling alone (for the 'first' 55 minutes).

Tebow struggled for most of the game. Struggled. He has a lot to work on.

Drive 1:

2nd-7 (Shotgun) PASS Complete
3rd-7 (Shotgun) RUSH

Drive 2:

1st-10 (Shotgun) RUSH
2nd-2 (Shotgun) RUSH
1st-10 (Shotgun) PASS, QB Scramble
2nd-11 (Shotgun) PASS, QB Scramble
3rd-10 (Shotgun) PASS Complete

Drive 3:

2nd-12 (Shotgun) PASS Complete
3rd-11 (Shotgun) PASS, Sacked

Drive 4:

2nd-6 (Under Center) PASS Complete
2nd-4 (Under Center) RUSH
3rd-1 (Under Center) RUSH

Drive 5:

2nd-10 (Under Center) PASS Incomplete
3rd-10 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete
1st-10 (Under Center) RUSH (fumble)

Drive 6:

1st-10 (Under Center) PASS Incomplete
1st-15 (Shotgun) RUSH
2nd-20 (Under Center) PASS, QB Scramble
1st-10 (Under Center) PASS, Sacked
2nd-18 (Shotgun) RUSH
3rd-14 (Shotgun) PASS, Sacked

Drive 7:

2nd-10 (Under Center) RUSH

Drive 8:

1st-8 (Under Center) RUSH
3rd-5 (Shotgun) RUSH

Drive 9:

2nd-10 (Shotgun) RUSH
3rd-8 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete

Drive 10:

2nd-4 (Shotgun) RUSH
2nd-10 (Shotgun) RUSH
3rd-11 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete

Drive 11:

2nd-10 (Shotgun) PASS Incomplete

Shotgun:

Plays - 26
Rushes - 8
Pass Plays - 18
Sacks/Scrambles - 6
Passes Attempted - 12 (3/12, 25%)

Under Center:

Plays - 24
Rushes - 18
Pass Plays - 6
Sacks/Scrambles - 2
Passes Attempted - 4 (3/4, 75%)

In the first 5 series, he had one first down pass, and that he scrambled for a first down. Other than that, 11 first down runs, leaving him to throw almost exclusive from 2nd/3rd and long.

A 2nd and 7, and a 2nd and 6 were his two shortest throws in first five series, due to the run on every first down mentality.

Then, he had 7 pass attempts that were 2nd or 3rd down and between 10-12 yards.

Routinely putting a young QB in 2nd and 3rd and long to start the game, for the first five series of the game, where the defense can pin its ears back and come at him is very bad play calling.

MOtorboat
10-25-2011, 07:13 AM
In the first 5 series, he had one first down pass, and that he scrambled for a first down. Other than that, 11 first down runs, leaving him throw almost exclusive from 2nd/3rd and long.

A 2nd and 7, and a 2nd and 6 were his two shortest throws in first five series, due to the run on every first down mentality.

Then, he had 7 pass attempts that were 2nd or 3rd down and between 10-12 yards.

Routinely putting a young QB in 2nd and 3rd and long to start the game, for the first five series of the game, where the defense can pin its ears back and come at him is very bad play calling.

Was there anything in his pass attempts in the first 3 1/2 quarters that would make you think he wouldn't have been in 2nd down and 10 more often than not?

Certainly I'd like to see a little more balance on first down, but coaches play the odds, and when your quarterback is 3 of 10 and those 7 incompletions weren't even close, the coach is likely to call first down runs to try and get a few yards.

Tned
10-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Was there anything in his pass attempts in the first 3 1/2 quarters that would make you think he wouldn't have been in 2nd down and 10 more often than not?

Certainly I'd like to see a little more balance on first down, but coaches play the odds, and when your quarterback is 3 of 10 and those 7 incompletions weren't even close, the coach is likely to call first down runs to try and get a few yards.

That sounds good in hindsight, but which came first. It's akin to people saying, "people learned from Pitt and took the bootleg away from Jake" when in fact the Broncos only called the bootleg once in the first half of game 1 of 2006. Many people used that to prove their point, but the fact is the Broncos took the boot away from the Broncos.

In this case? :confused:

I don't know. Would it have been different if he had some first down passing opportunities, or even 2nd and short opportunities? We'll never know, because he didn't.

I know you, and everyone, would agree that passing ONLY in obvious passing situations puts any QB at a disadvantage, and that's going to be magnified by a young QB with very little starting experience.

Fox also said they experienced more blitzing and different blitzing than they had seen from Miami on film, such as the deep/delayed safety blitzes. Yet, they didn't run screen and short passes, and only had him pass in those 2nd/3rd and long situations where Miami could blitz without fear of the run.

MOtorboat
10-25-2011, 08:02 AM
I can get behind the "call a few more screen plays" argument. Hell, Mr. McCoy, remember how you scored against San Diego...

They are gameplanning versus what they saw on gamefilm and what they see in practice. Maybe Miami has played the screen pass well. (I don't know, because before Sunday, I'd only watched their game against the Patriots and they got torched everywhere in that game.) But I definitely would like to see a little more creativity.

Tned
10-25-2011, 08:11 AM
I can get behind the "call a few more screen plays" argument. Hell, Mr. McCoy, remember how you scored against San Diego...

They are gameplanning versus what they saw on gamefilm and what they see in practice. Maybe Miami has played the screen pass well. (I don't know, because before Sunday, I'd only watched their game against the Patriots and they got torched everywhere in that game.) But I definitely would like to see a little more creativity.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think the play calling caused Tebow to look so bad in the first 55 minutes or so. He's an NFL QB, he's got to make better throws. I just also think that the play calling could have put him in better position to get into the rhythm of the game, rather than having him only pass in 2nd/3rd and long.

Timmy!
10-25-2011, 08:12 AM
4 the life of me, i really cant see how its that difficult 2 come up with a decent offensive gameplan that limits tebows options to 3 recievers, at most. freaking plummer did it 4 years here..... :shrugs:

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

vandammage13
10-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Tebow was so bad for most of the game that getting an onside kick had a better chance than Tebow completing a pass. It obviously WAS the right time because the Broncos won.

Nope...had they opened it up earlier it probably wouldn't have required a miracle to win.

claymore
10-25-2011, 08:36 AM
4 the life of me, i really cant see how its that difficult 2 come up with a decent offensive gameplan that limits tebows options to 3 recievers, at most. freaking plummer did it 4 years here..... :shrugs:

We need a good OC. I have little faith in much of our coaching staff. I like Fox and Our DC, outside of that, coaching talent is thin.

Timmy!
10-25-2011, 08:39 AM
We need a good OC. I have little faith in much of our coaching staff. I like Fox and Our DC, outside of that, coaching talent is thin.

agreed. mccoy sucks. hell we might as well go spread *puke*. personally i think there should be a panel of like 5 members here who rotate calling plays. :D

MOtorboat
10-25-2011, 08:41 AM
agreed. mccoy sucks. hell we might as well go spread *puke*. personally i think there should be a panel of like 5 members here who rotate calling plays. :D

The pro-style spread requires the quarterback to make a lot of reads.

:coffee:

claymore
10-25-2011, 08:42 AM

I think Studsville sucks too. HOPEFULLY we bring in some promising talent this offseason. Id like to start grooming position coaches.

Timmy!
10-25-2011, 08:46 AM
The pro-style spread requires the quarterback to make a lot of reads.

:coffee:

uh huh, and tebow obviously can`t do that at the moment, so lets start him on a big-wheel b4 we expect him to handle a Harley. :irishcoffee: :heh:

vandammage13
10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I think Studsville sucks too. HOPEFULLY we bring in some promising talent this offseason. Id like to start grooming position coaches.

How the entire McD coaching staff wasn't replaced when Fox was brought on is beyond me...

claymore
10-25-2011, 09:10 AM
How the entire McD coaching staff wasn't replaced when Fox was brought on is beyond me...

I think that might have been a money thing. Not sure, but I do know there isnt much to be excited about outside of Allen (?) our DC. Even that could be a reach.

I want our playbook (offense) shot into outer space, never to be seen again. I want some inovation.

If Tebow doesnt work out, and we draft a QB early, I dont want these jabrones in charge of his development.

MOtorboat
10-25-2011, 09:28 AM

McCoy worked for Fox in Carolina. I imagine that's why Fox kept him on, and to try and create some sort of stability, especially knowing there was going to be a lockout.

Also remember, McCoy has called plays for less than a season. He was a defacto OC under McDaniels, and a quarterback coach in Carolina.

vandammage13
10-25-2011, 09:36 AM
I think that might have been a money thing. Not sure, but I do know there isnt much to be excited about outside of Allen (?) our DC. Even that could be a reach.

I want our playbook (offense) shot into outer space, never to be seen again. I want some inovation.

If Tebow doesnt work out, and we draft a QB early, I dont want these jabrones in charge of his development.

McCoy worked for Fox in Carolina. I imagine that's why Fox kept him on, and to try and create some sort of stability, especially knowing there was going to be a lockout.

Also remember, McCoy has called plays for less than a season. He was a defacto OC under McDaniels, and a quarterback coach in Carolina.

Both good points...

Still would like to have seen all of those guys gone, and I wasn't really sold on the Fox hiring either anyway.

For as much as people say you can't win a SB with a QB like Tebow, I think it is almost as unlikely to win one with a conservative coach like Fox in today's NFL.

G_Money
10-25-2011, 09:57 AM
I understand that the Saints have far better offensive personnel than we do, but when "first time play-caller" Pete Carmichael can step in for Sean Payton and CRUSH the Colts with a flawless gameplan and execution I just have trouble believing that McCoy is the guy to be innovative and aggressive as our coordinator. You've either got it or you don't, and if you don't, then you shouldn't be calling plays.

Carmichael knew their offense, knew what they could do and what the Colts couldn't stop, and called it brilliantly. Again, easier to do with a HOF QB, one of the 2 best offenses in the league against one of the 3 worst teams, etc. But when Kubes started calling plays for Shanahan, we knew Kubiak was a good offensive coach despite having a HOFer and a bunch of talent. It wasn't the talent alone that made him a good one.

I haven't seen McCoy be a good one yet. It's early in his play-calling career, but I haven't noticed ANY-thing that he's taken from those he's studied under that could be called interesting, let alone special.

Hell, I'd rather swap out to "I've called one whole game in my NFL career" Carmichael at the end of this year. At least he's understudied behind one of the game's great offensive minds and has already shown he took good notes.

McCoy bores the shit out of me, and John Fox's teams don't need any help on that front. :coffee: Boring and successful I could live with, but we are not that. We will not be loaded in talent for a few years yet, even with good drafts (c'mon Xanders, be smarter than the average bear...) so our play-caller will have to get the absolute most out of his team's abilities that he possibly can.

The next time McCoy maximizes what he has will be the first. God, I hope he and Tebow both improve by leaps and bounds...

~G

Thnikkaman
10-25-2011, 10:21 AM

Spent a lot of time partying around Iowa State.

TeamQuest?

I Eat Staples
10-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Both good points...

Still would like to have seen all of those guys gone, and I wasn't really sold on the Fox hiring either anyway.

For as much as people say you can't win a SB with a QB like Tebow, I think it is almost as unlikely to win one with a conservative coach like Fox in today's NFL.

We can't win a SB with ANY coach right now. Fox isn't here to win a super bowl, he's here to rebuild the franchise for a coach who can. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping for.

NightTerror218
10-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Can we start a new billboard fund?

vandammage13
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
We can't win a SB with ANY coach right now. Fox isn't here to win a super bowl, he's here to rebuild the franchise for a coach who can. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Of course we can't win right now...Just saying that Fox will be unlikely to accomplish it no matter what the personnel is.

I can see your stated scenario panning out where Fox is just a placeholder coach until the team is more attractive personnel wise to an elite coach.

dogfish
10-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Hell, I'd rather swap out to "I've called one whole game in my NFL career" Carmichael at the end of this year. At least he's understudied behind one of the game's great offensive minds and has already shown he took good notes.

The next time McCoy maximizes what he has will be the first. God, I hope he and Tebow both improve by leaps and bounds...

~G

hey, at least carmichael knows how to correctly run an EP-variant offense. . . .

:heh:

TXBRONC
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM

I remember reading one of the reasons Fox kept most of the offensive staff was for stability reasons. I wasn't surprised in the least when McCoy was retained because he worked for Fox for seven years before he came to Denver.

NightTerror218
10-25-2011, 12:01 PM
I remember reading one of the reasons Fox kept most of the offensive staff was for stability reasons. I wasn't surprised in the least when McCoy was retained because he worked for Fox for seven years before he came to Denver.

I want a real OC and real QB coach. Any good College coach prospects?

atwater27
10-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Fox sucks. Our O-coordinator sucks. Our QB's and RB's suck. The interior of our defense sucks. Our defensive backs are a granchild or 2 away from sucking out of sheer age. Yet we won ourselves out of the Luck sweepstakes last week. The football God's have a bone to pick with this franchise. I don't think they liked Shanny's firing. It all went downhill from there. And it ain't going up anytime soon.

jhildebrand
10-25-2011, 10:54 PM
I don't get the Fox bashing.

The guy had no time to work with this team. He didn't have a real FA period. No ota's. Weird preseason.

So many here wanted to see Denver get away from the finesse and softness of Shanahan. People wanted a tough, physical team. I see those traits in this team more each week. The fact is, aside from the GB game, this team has been in every game. I am not sure that would be the case with any other of the coaching prospects that were available.

So I will settle some this season as long as I see a team whose fundamentals are improving (haven't heard too much cryin about missed tackles this year) and is getting tougher. I always hated playing Carolina because they knew how to beat a Shanny team (except for an idiot lineman throwing a flag at a ref!).

I like that a Von Miller will be benched. A Rahim Moore sits. Maybe I am crazy :noidea:

NorCalBronco7
10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't get the Fox bashing.

The guy had no time to work with this team. He didn't have a real FA period. No ota's. Weird preseason.

So many here wanted to see Denver get away from the finesse and softness of Shanahan. People wanted a tough, physical team. I see those traits in this team more each week. The fact is, aside from the GB game, this team has been in every game. I am not sure that would be the case with any other of the coaching prospects that were available.

So I will settle some this season as long as I see a team whose fundamentals are improving (haven't heard too much cryin about missed tackles this year) and is getting tougher. I always hated playing Carolina because they knew how to beat a Shanny team (except for an idiot lineman throwing a flag at a ref!).

I like that a Von Miller will be benched. A Rahim Moore sits. Maybe I am crazy :noidea:

Your definitely not crazy. I always perferred "little" things like fundamentals. To see the Broncos tackle better, be in position, and most improtantly have a balanced offense makes me feel encouraged. And who would have thought we would have been in most of the games this far into the season? I sure as hell didnt.

The running games surprisingly looking good, and considering last year, thats a huge improvement. The defense as a whole is playing much better too, despite the switch and the prize FA done for the season. Fox also needs major props for signing McGahee. Nobody was really thrilled about him, but hes been very productive so far.

When Miller/Moore gets benched, it tells me Fox is without a doubt old school, and will not play favorites. You always here coaches say "you make your role with our team", but you know some of them are full of it. With Fox, you better do your job or someone else will! I love that. Thats what a real coach does. Maybe its because its been so long since we had one, but Im buying what Fox is selling.......so far.

I really think Fox gets a bad rap so often because hes isnt a "sexy" coach. The tough running game/defensive approach in a passing league, just isnt fun to watch for a lot of fans these days, but to me, thats just as exciting. I have concerns about Fox, like him being too conservative and many others, but I really like what Ive seen so far.