PDA

View Full Version : The Dream Plan: Hire Pioli (GM) and Spagnuolo (HC).

Requiem / The Dagda
12-30-2008, 06:42 PM
That is my idea. Ya?

BroncoBJ
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
And Martz as OC.
And Crennel as DC.

:elefant:

:lol: jk but...

I wouldn't mind Spags as our head coach though. I want a new young head coach. I want some young blood to go with our young team.
It makes for an exciting offseason though. :elefant:

Requiem / The Dagda
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I want a coach who will grill ass and motivate players on the defensive side of the ball. That is why Spagnuolo would be fresh.

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't know about Pioloi, heres what he told the Browns, which I would assume would happen if he came to Denver (per rotoworld)

The Boston Herald's Ron Borges reports that Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz would potentially be Scott Pioli's first choice to replace Romeo Crennel in Cleveland.

Pioli, who worked with Ferentz under Bill Belichick in Cleveland, would choose him over Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. We'll see. Ferentz has always been a hot pro property after working with Belichick, but hasn't won more than eight games or a Bowl with the Hawkeyes since 2004.

Source: Boston Herald

Spaqnuolo is the man, but would he help Cutler's production and maturity? I don't know. We have a great group of offensive guys, no defense. Not sure.

silkamilkamonico
I'd take Spagnolia in a second.

He's a humble coach who would hire a very good OC and give him the reigns, so that he can focus solely on fixing the defense, which is exactly what Denver needs right now.

studbucket
I don't know about Pioloi, heres what he told the Browns, which I would assume would happen if he came to Denver (per rotoworld)

The Boston Herald's Ron Borges reports that Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz would potentially be Scott Pioli's first choice to replace Romeo Crennel in Cleveland.

Pioli, who worked with Ferentz under Bill Belichick in Cleveland, would choose him over Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. We'll see. Ferentz has always been a hot pro property after working with Belichick, but hasn't won more than eight games or a Bowl with the Hawkeyes since 2004.

Source: Boston Herald

Spaqnuolo is the man, but would he help Cutler's production and maturity? I don't know. We have a great group of offensive guys, no defense. Not sure.

Wow, I would love to have Ferentz...this is the only way I would ever want him to leave Iowa.

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I like Ferentz. But ONLY as a college coach.

G_Money
12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
I would take that.

Also, Cowher.

Also, Jim Schwartz of the Titans.

I'm a little leery of a first-time HC, but with the right front office, I'd sure prefer it to some idiot retread. No Dennis Greens or Jim Fassells need apply.

And there are some serious defensive minds who should get consideration.

~G

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm anxious to see Bowlen's top 5.

UnderArmour
12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
And Martz as OC.
And Crennel as DC.

:elefant:

:lol: jk but...

I wouldn't mind Spags as our head coach though. I want a new young head coach. I want some young blood to go with our young team.
It makes for an exciting offseason though. :elefant:
Don't even joke about that. That's even scarier than Shanahan getting fired.

BroncoBJ
12-30-2008, 06:52 PM
I want a coach who will grill ass and motivate players on the defensive side of the ball. That is why Spagnuolo would be fresh.

Same here. :salute:
Someone who will actually motivate players and get up in thier grill. :elefant:

I think 2 of my favorite coaches in the league are Tomlin and Del Rio.
I just like them for some reason.

But I want someone young and fresh. Spagnolia would be good stuff.

Its wierd. Shanny has been the coach since I was 6 pretty much. It will be wierd seeing someone new as a coach next year.
But Shanny isn't the Broncos. Change is good. :elefant:

NameUsedBefore
12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I could take that. Bill Cowher would also be very nice.

If we don't take someone who is clearly at the top in terms of personal talent I think we're ensured a losing season.

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pioli

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Here's a great question....

Will Bowlen hire someone immediately, or will he take his chances to snag up a good up and coming coordinator that's going through the playoffs right now like Spagnolia?

Buff
12-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I'd be fine with that... I'd really like to see us lock down Pioli as GM. The Patriots' personnel philosophies obviously work, so if we can't beat em we may as well join em.

I think we go after a defensive mind (like Spagnuolo) and retain Jeremy Bates similar to what Dallas did with Jason Garrett.

BigDaddyBronco
12-30-2008, 07:11 PM
We need a real GM and Pioli fits the bill.

I like Jim Schwartz from the Titans.

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Okay, I'm on the Pioli bandwagon. As long as Ferentz doesn't come with him.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that Bowlen is looking for a young offensive minded coach to take over, so if that's true there goes any hope for Spagnolia.

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I'd be game for Cower or Mariuchi (sp) for HC

girler
12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
How about any of the recent Al Davis cast offs??? That's worked well in the past. :laugh:

Max Power
12-30-2008, 07:40 PM
That is my idea. Ya?

I read that Pioli would likely bring in Kirk Ferentz, Iowa's head coach, as head coach whereever he goes.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1142108

Although it has been widely speculated that Pioli might try to create a package deal that would include young Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as his head coach, that is not the case. Pioli favors Ferentz, with whom he first worked under Bill Belichick when both were with the Browns 15 years ago. Ferentz survived the move to Baltimore and was the Ravens assistant head coach/offensive line coach before leaving to take over the Iowa program in 1998.

muse
12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Pioli/Spagnolo would be my first choice too. But I don't know if we can get Pioli without getting an OC and to me we need to retain Dennison and Bates to continue running this O in this scheme.

G_Money
12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that Bowlen is looking for a young offensive minded coach to take over, so if that's true there goes any hope for Spagnolia.

Offense isn't our problem.

Why fire Shanahan to hire a younger guy who's probably not as good at offense, while still having a terrible D? :confused:

It only makes sense if we get a defensive minded HC or a guy who can deliver a defensive genius to us.

~G

horsepig
12-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Is Mooch even looking to coach? He might be an interesting option.

UnderArmour
12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Is Mooch even looking to coach? He might be an interesting option.

Why would we fire a great offensive mind to bring in a lesser offensive mind?

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Sometimes, different perspectives, even about the same thing, can be helpful. Shanny apparently was a "my way" type of guy and likely didn't listen to others. A young guy may be able to ADD TO what Shanny has engrained in Cutler and the rest of the offense. And don't forget that a young offensive mind won't necessarily hurt the defense. Shanny's GM duties are what hurt the defense. He had no knack for judging defensive talent. He passed on Paul Posluszny and Orlando Scandrick for Jarvis Moss and Jack Williams. That is TERRIBLE. I know hindsight is 20/20, but both were reaches and the players he passed were simply better prospects. The new "youn, hip" offensive coach will not have GM duties...and even if he did, could his assessments of defensive players be any worse?

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 09:20 PM
BTW, Pioli has a history of trading in the draft...either back to accumulate more picks or trading away current #1s for the future if he doesn't see what he likes or sumthin that fulfills a pressing need.

dogfish
12-30-2008, 10:20 PM
steve spags is absolutely my top choice to be the new head coach! i love that guy, he's just got that attack-dog mentality that we need so badly on defense. . .

as for pioli. . . yea, i would definitely be down with that, but i myself would rather see us just promote jim goodman to the official GM position. . . barring a couple of risky picks on the first day of '07 (which i think bates may have had a big voice in), our drafts since the goodmans ascended to power have been as good as anyone in the league if not better, and that includes new england. . . in fact, i'll take their record and all the second day STUDS we've drafted in the past three years over what pioli's done over the same stretch. . .

1 10 Jerod Mayo OLB Tennessee
2 62 Terrence Wheatley CB Colorado
3 78 Shawn Crable OLB Michigan
3 94 Kevin O'Connell QB San Diego State
4 129 Jonathan Wilhite CB Auburn
5 153 Matt Slater WR UCLA
6 197 Bo Ruud LB Nebraska

1 24 Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.)
4 127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (Fla.)
5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
6 180 Justin Rogers LB Southern Methodist
6 202 Mike Richardson DB Notre Dame
6 208 Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6 209 Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma State
7 211 Oscar Lua LB USC
7 247 Mike Elgin G Iowa

1 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota
2 36 Chad Jackson WR Florida
3 86 David Thomas TE Texas
4 106 Garrett Mills RB Tulsa
4 118 Stephen Gostkowski K Memphis
5 136 Ryan O'Callaghan T California
6 191 Jeremy Mincey LB Florida
6 205 Dan Stevenson G Notre Dame
6 206 Le Kevin Smith DT Nebraska
7 229 Willie Andrews

Offense isn't our problem.

Why fire Shanahan to hire a younger guy who's probably not as good at offense, while still having a terrible D? :confused:

It only makes sense if we get a defensive minded HC or a guy who can deliver a defensive genius to us.

~G

i think you may have answered your own question. . . maybe pat wants a younger guy that isn't so established-- maybe he regrets giving shenanigans such unconditional and total authority, and he sees that we have more than enough talent on offense to continue getting results with a younger guy that can be here for the long haul. . . only this time, he corrects past mistakes and hires the guy as HC only, and makes him bring in the strong DC that mike was unwilling or unable to find. . . .

IMO, the best scenario is to add a top notch young defensive coach like spags, ship off bums like slowick, o'brien, burney, johnson and tuten, and keep the offensive staff intact, particularly dennison, bates and turner. . . that's my dream scenario, but if he does want to bring in a young offensive mind i'm okay with it, provided that the guy gets us a quality DC. . .

ikillz0mbies
12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm totally on board with Pioli and Spagnuolo. Pioli has a good track record in drafting defense and Spagnuolo just knows what it takes to build a strong defense.