PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody heard ANY speculation why?

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 06:30 PM
I live in Florida and haven't heard anything except how all three Florida teams would love to have him (from the fans that is).

GEM
12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm sure San Diego fans would love to have him. UGH!!!

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I would ASSUME it was one of these 3 reasons:

Bowlen wanted him to fired Slowik and he wouldn't do it.
Bowlen wanted him to step down as GM and he wouldn't do it.
One of those situations where a coach has been somewhere for a long time and his message wears thin and it's just time for a change.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
A decade of mediocrity probably. Doubt the players responded to him the same. Defending a bunch of turds. Nepotism. I'm sure there are a ton of reasons.

jrelway
12-30-2008, 06:42 PM
the chiefs or chargers would probably kill for shanny. ill throw up if shanny ends up at either team.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I could see Shanahan going to coach a college team. He'd do better there.

G_Money
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Really? You don't think he'll go to the Jets and live it up in NYC?

~G

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 06:47 PM
"He can coach here as long as he wants"

(Famous last words)

Requiem / The Dagda
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Is there room in Manhattan for a million square foot house? Mike might be too big for NYC.

CrazyHorse
12-30-2008, 06:52 PM
"He can coach here as long as he wants"

(Famous last words)

Keyword: Coach
Not act as the general manager.

elsid13
12-30-2008, 06:56 PM
I think that Bowlen was worried that team wasn't going forward and needed a change. I also think that this decision wasn't because of Sunday night but had been growing for awhile.

G_Money
12-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Since Lynch, name the FA or trade we made that worked out well for us.

Exactly. We have a slot receiver and the most expensive blocking TE in the league, but other than that, our failures in free agency speak for themselves.

Shanahan the GM was FINALLY getting the hang of the draft. I'm gonna miss the Goodmans dreadfully - maybe we can talk them into staying a while longer.

But free agency destroyed us every year. We could never build on the past year's free agents because they all had to be fired to make way for the new bunch.

It wasn't good.

Though I guess it made our defensive coaching woes look moderately okay by comparison.

Shanahan's a top-echelon offensive coach who got in his own way once too often as GM.

He finally hit that fatal landmine, I guess. I didn't think Pat had reached his limit yet, but no powerful man likes to be humiliated.

Now we get our pick of the candidates. We're the best gig open, GUARANTEED. So we'll see who comes a-callin. Time to strong-arm our way back to the top of the heap. Funnily enough GM Shanahan has restocked almost all of the offense, so only one side of the ball needs some serious TLC.

Yet another reason it's the best gig around. Let's not squander it.

~G

Cutler6MVP
12-30-2008, 07:02 PM

Exactly. We have a slot receiver and the most expensive blocking TE in the league, but other than that, our failures in free agency speak for themselves.

Shanahan the GM was FINALLY getting the hang of the draft. I'm gonna miss the Goodmans dreadfully - maybe we can talk them into staying a while longer.

But free agency destroyed us every year. We could never build on the past year's free agents because they all had to be fired to make way for the new bunch.

It wasn't good.

Though I guess it made our defensive coaching woes look moderately okay by comparison.

Shanahan's a top-echelon offensive coach who got in his own way once too often as GM.

He finally hit that fatal landmine, I guess. I didn't think Pat had reached his limit yet, but no powerful man likes to be humiliated.

Now we get our pick of the candidates. We're the best gig open, GUARANTEED. So we'll see who comes a-callin. Time to strong-arm our way back to the top of the heap. Funnily enough GM Shanahan has restocked almost all of the offense, so only one side of the ball needs some serious TLC.

~G

Bailey

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 07:11 PM

It wasn't good.

~G

PLEASE tell me the Goodmans aren't gone too!

GEM
12-30-2008, 07:18 PM
PLEASE tell me the Goodmans aren't gone too!

Or Bobby Turner or the OLine coach or Jeremy Bates for Cutler. This could be more disastrous than initially thought. :tsk:

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm still in shock.......

Watchthemiddle
12-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Or Bobby Turner or the OLine coach or Jeremy Bates for Cutler. This could be more disastrous than initially thought. :tsk:

Cutler needs somoeone better then Jeremy Bates.

GEM
12-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Cutler needs somoeone better then Jeremy Bates.

Yea....Kubes is in Texas unfortunately. :tsk:

elsid13
12-30-2008, 08:59 PM

Wouldn't a new coach want his own folks there? Unless he comes from Shanahan coaching tree I expect we will see a clean house.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Sounds as though Bowlen wants to keep some assistants and the Goodmans are staying on board as well. Hopefully we'll keep the offensive coaches intact.

Ziggy
12-31-2008, 09:01 AM

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking that the series of trades to move up in the draft and get Cutler worked out pretty well.

elsid13
12-31-2008, 09:12 AM
OK I will posted this here it paraphrased- This comes for very source on the MANE (wabbit) and yes Northman and other can verify that he has good information

Bowlen was thinking about change since Carolina game. That was good chance Shanahan was going to resign because there was feeling that he was burnt out, but Mike didn't want lose $21M left on contract. This was impulse decision unlike his last fires of Reeves or Philips, he made the decision in less then a day, and no one knows if there was plan to replace or not.

NightTrainLayne
12-31-2008, 09:18 AM
OK I will posted this here it paraphrased- This comes for very source on the MANE (wabbit) and yes Northman and other can verify that he has good information

Bowlen was thinking about change since Carolina game. That was good chance Shanahan was going to resign because there was feeling that he was burnt out, but Mike didn't want lose $21M left on contract. This was impulse decision unlike his last fires of Reeves or Philips, he made the decision in less then a day, and no one knows if there was plan to replace or not.

OK, I guess I'm dense but how can he be "thinking about change since the Carolina game" and yet it's still an impulse decision made "in less than a day".

Those statements don't fit together at all.

According to Chris Mortensen last night on ESPN he talked to Shanny 3 weeks ago or so, and Shanny told him he was still rearing to go, and "loved the grind" of the NFL season. Plus was pumped about a lot of rookies on the cusp of becoming a great team. Shanny wasn't thinking about retirement.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Hopefully details will trickle out today from the news conference. I can't help but think that Slowick not only sunk this team but cost us the best coach in team history. I'm excited, nervous and sad over this but think it could be a good thing for Denver and Shanahan.

elsid13
12-31-2008, 09:30 AM
OK, I guess I'm dense but how can he be "thinking about change since the Carolina game" and yet it's still an impulse decision made "in less than a day".

Those statements don't fit together at all.

According to Chris Mortensen last night on ESPN he talked to Shanny 3 weeks ago or so, and Shanny told him he was still rearing to go, and "loved the grind" of the NFL season. Plus was pumped about a lot of rookies on the cusp of becoming a great team. Shanny wasn't thinking about retirement.

Sorry I wasn't clear, it was Bowlen was thinking about the changing power structure, but decided that he need a clean sweep in single day.