PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to think...

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 06:10 PM
When it comes to sports, I'm usually the guy sitting back and telling people to calm down and not make rash decisions.

I was floored by today's announcement. I can't agree with it in the least - it is entirely nonsensical to me.

I'll need some time to absorb what Bowlen did, but I don't know if I can respect our organization any more. I might need to find a new team. (yeah, crazy reaction from someone who is usually calm...)

Goodbye, maybe. I really don't know.

Bowlen... wtf?

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
When it comes to sports, I'm usually the guy sitting back and telling people to calm down and not make rash decisions.

I was floored by today's announcement. I can't agree with it in the least - it is entirely nonsensical to me.

I'll need some time to absorb what Bowlen did, but I don't know if I can respect our organization any more. I might need to find a new team. (yeah, crazy reaction from someone who is usually calm...)

Bowlen... wtf?

Great move by Bowlen.

The defensive has been atrocious, and a lack of urgency to fix it possibly did Shanahan in.

Not to mention, the results just aren't there for Denver anymore. San Diego has Surpassed Denver as the premier organization in the AFCWest, and Shanahan showed very little initiative in making an impact change on the defensive side of the ball that needed to be done.

Greatspirits
12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
I think its for the best, I know changes are hard, especially to someone who has brought you success, but all we've seen for the past 10 years is medicore football, what proof do we have that anything its going to change? Like thousands of other Bronco fans we will be forever greatful for the success he did bring us and the Super Bowl wins.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
My head is spinning, but I'm not looking for another team. Bowlen is a great owner, and will find a good replacement. He's all about winning, and that's what this firing is about. .500 football isn't good enough for Bowlen.

At the same time, it will be REALLY weird to see another head coach prowling the side-lines.

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Andrew Masons revenge.

Never screw with Andrew.

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 06:23 PM
7 running backs on injured reserve.
Defense, over half of which wouldn't be on the active rosters on other teams. (Room for major improvement)
Young QB, young OL, young receivers, young TE, all system players, all committed to Denver and the future.
Great drafts in 06 and 08.

There was a lot to look forward to. Now all of a sudden you've opened up the possibility of our young talent splitting up and erasing all the rebuilding progress Denver's made in transitioning eras.

Yeah, Cutler learning a new system. That's exactly what I wanted.

Our offensive linemen needing to learn a new system. That's exactly what I wanted.

Our running backs needing to learn a new system.

Our defense getting yet another new system installed (maybe not a bad thing, but where's the consistency?)

Remember when Jim Bates came in here and we didn't have the personnel to run his system? There's a strong possibility that happens in Denver to the entire team.

Why why why why why.

I can't wait to see us with Mangini next year... yeah... that'll make us better...

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Andrew Masons revenge.

Never screw with Andrew.

Bowlen fired Andrew and Shanahan!

Stop the madman!

Broncolingus
12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I think most will be supportive...it's time to go in another direction.

I am supportive...

Wish Shanny the best for all he's done and good luck...

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
I am in utter shock. Didn't think it would come to this. WOW!!!! I'm excited and scared at the same time. Happy Slowick is gone but fear our offesne might suffer.

jrelway
12-30-2008, 06:29 PM
sometimes change is needed. itll be an intersting off season.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 06:54 PM
7 running backs on injured reserve.
Defense, over half of which wouldn't be on the active rosters on other teams. (Room for major improvement)
Young QB, young OL, young receivers, young TE, all system players, all committed to Denver and the future.
Great drafts in 06 and 08.

There was a lot to look forward to. Now all of a sudden you've opened up the possibility of our young talent splitting up and erasing all the rebuilding progress Denver's made in transitioning eras.

Yeah, Cutler learning a new system. That's exactly what I wanted.

Our offensive linemen needing to learn a new system. That's exactly what I wanted.

Our running backs needing to learn a new system.

Our defense getting yet another new system installed (maybe not a bad thing, but where's the consistency?)

Remember when Jim Bates came in here and we didn't have the personnel to run his system? There's a strong possibility that happens in Denver to the entire team.

Why why why why why.

I can't wait to see us with Mangini next year... yeah... that'll make us better...

Remember, this was supposed to be the year. The long term, loyal fanbase was saying 1 more year after last year. We came into this season with a young talent at QB in his 3rd year, a great WR, a great system, and a defense that was supposed to be an upgrade from last year.

Instead, we got a coach that doesn't know how to train his players to stay healthy, the second worst defense in the NFL since 1995 statistically speaking, and a rift between the offensive and defensive unit.

Denver is a proud organization with a great owner, a plethora of young talent, and will be very appealing to a lot of great coaches/coordinators.

The only question is will Bowlen pick the right one, and that's the least of our worries right now.

UnderArmour
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
It's been a few hours, and I'm still in shock. I have no clue where we go next.

Benetto
12-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Remember, this was supposed to be the year. The long term, loyal fanbase was saying 1 more year after last year. We came into this season with a young talent at QB in his 3rd year, a great WR, a great system, and a defense that was supposed to be an upgrade from last year.

Instead, we got a coach that doesn't know how to train his players to stay healthy, the second worst defense in the NFL since 1995 statistically speaking, and a rift between the offensive and defensive unit.

Denver is a proud organization with a great owner, a plethora of young talent, and will be very appealing to a lot of great coaches/coordinators.

The only question is will Bowlen pick the right one, and that's the least of our worries right now.

Good post.

Tned
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
I posted last night that I half hoped that Bowlen would fire Shanahan, so that a few years from now Broncos' fans would finally appreciate how good things were with Shanahan.

Now, I hope I am wrong about a few years from now Broncos' fans looking back and wishing Bownlen hadn't made the move.

claymore
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM

Bowlen... wtf?
Im pretty upset about it. But the theme of the day today in some of the threads here is desensitize. I feel thats what happened with Shannahan hre. We just couldnt recover from a funk, Shannahan's message wasnt being recieved, or whatever.

Time will tell. I was pissed when Reeves was fired, and pissed when Phillips was hired, but ecstatic when Shanny was hired. We will know soon if this was good or bad. Hold on till then at least.

claymore
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM

The only question is will Bowlen pick the right one, and that's the least of our worries right now.One thing is for sure. No one has ever blamed Bowlen. That might change. His nuts are on the fire now.

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Im pretty upset about it. But the theme of the day today in some of the threads here is desensitize. I feel thats what happened with Shannahan hre. We just couldnt recover from a funk, Shannahan's message wasnt being recieved, or whatever.

Time will tell. I was pissed when Reeves was fired, and pissed when Phillips was hired, but ecstatic when Shanny was hired. We will know soon if this was good or bad. Hold on till then at least.

Thanks for the advice.

muse
12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
I posted last night that I half hoped that Bowlen would fire Shanahan, so that a few years from now Broncos' fans would finally appreciate how good things were with Shanahan.

Now, I hope I am wrong about a few years from now Broncos' fans looking back and wishing Bownlen hadn't made the move.

This is your fault.

But I agree with you...this could go horribly wrong. But if we just play it smart (ie leave the O intact!) we could be a better franchise for it. I still think that having Shanny around gave us the best chance of winning (well, minus Slowik).

PatricktheDookie
12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
This is your fault.

But I agree with you...this could go horribly wrong. But if we just play it smart (ie leave the O intact!) we could be a better franchise for it. I still think that having Shanny around gave us the best chance of winning (well, minus Slowik).

You know, this means Nate Jackson is probably a goner.

muse
12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
You know, this means Nate Jackson is probably a goner.

Lalalala can't hear you. Remember his clutch first down catch in triple coverage against the Browns? David Tyree eat your heart out.

horsepig
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
For me the bottom line was drawn on the rug in Indy. Not just poor or even downright bad defensive performances but pathetic.

Shanny never fixed it, in fact made the situation even worse! It's not just bad defense but, the candy-assed way they have had of getting outright humiliated in big games.

Throw in an apparent total disregard for STs and I for one am ready for a change.

I always liked Mikey but, we are becoming a mirror image of "Air Coryell"; wild, fun to watch offense that frequently explodes right in your face and an irrelevant defense that can't win big games.

The main difference with this team is that our D is way beyond irrelevant to the point of needing a friggin gas mask for my eyes to even watch it play. Bring in a fresh, innovative young HC: like Mikey was 15-16 years ago.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM

I'm sorry, but an above average 10 year term since the SUperBowl days hardly makes me think I had it "great".

1 playoff win in 10 years. Norv Turner had more than that last season alone.

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2008, 09:19 PM

I don't know. I might have thought that, but Cutler's interview did not sound like a guy with a coach whose message wasn't getting through. He basically said Shanahan was irreplaceable.

Tned
12-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry, but an above average 10 year term since the SUperBowl days hardly makes me think I had it "great".

1 playoff win in 10 years. Norv Turner had more than that last season alone.

Hey, I hope we look back on it and say, "I wish Bowlen had pulled the trigger sooner", but I am afraid this falls under the "be careful what you wish for."

Tned
12-30-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't know. I might have thought that, but Cutler's interview did not sound like a guy with a coach whose message wasn't getting through. He basically said Shanahan was irreplaceable.

It might change over the next day or two, but so far many of the articles and commentators I have heard have leaned towards "shocked" and "who's better that's out there".

The quotes from the players are all shocked.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey, I hope we look back on it and say, "I wish Bowlen had pulled the trigger sooner", but I am afraid this falls under the "be careful what you wish for."

Just think, if he would have pulled it 5 years ago, and Denver lost every game since, Shanahan would be exactly +1 in the playoff win margin.

Even Norv Turner has more wins than that. In 1 season.

Tned
12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Just think, if he would have pulled it 5 years ago, and Denver lost every game since, Shanahan would be exactly +1 in the playoff win margin.

Even Norv Turner has more wins than that. In 1 season.

As Gil Brandt on NFL Sirius radio just said, one of the things that you have to make sure before you let a coach go, is that there is a better one to replace him.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Right now I'm excited and scared at the same time. I HOPE we keep the offensive coaches and start from scratch on defense. I think it's imparitive we keep the same scheme on offense.

Tned
04-25-2009, 08:13 PM

Well, many of us 'wished' for this day, when someone other than Shanahan was calling the shots.

I've got to say, right about now, with Cutler gone, this draft.... I'm struggling to have a positive outlook.

BroncoJoe
04-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Good grief.

LRtagger
04-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Close the site down!! The franchise is officially done.

bcbronc
04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
someone needs to bump some Clady threads from last year.

Tned
04-25-2009, 08:35 PM
someone needs to bump some Clady threads from last year.

Here you go:

I think it is a solid B. Clady was the safe pick, and should help both immediately and in the future. Royal was a pick they had to make to fill a need. I think if either Walker wasn't gone or Marshall hadn't been hurt than Royale wouldn't have been picked, but between the combination of the two, PLUS the need for return help, I WR became a must pick in the second.

Broncospsycho77
04-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I personally am ready to lose games 70-60 this year.

bcbronc
04-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Here you go:

that's not a thread. :rolleyes:

Tned
04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Click on http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif that in the quote and it will bring you to the thread. I didn't want to bump another old thread, after the backlash on this one. :lol: