PDA

View Full Version : breaking news shanahan fired!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

broken12
12-30-2008, 05:23 PM
bye bye

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Wtf?

broken12
12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
per adam shefter nfl network on 850koa radio seriously!!!!!!!!

spikerman
It's on NFL Network right now

Mid-west Chargers fan
Its also posted on the front page banner on nfl.com

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Wow. That is huge.

Good news. .. Slowik is gone. . .unless. . .Bowlen promotes him :lol:

broken12
bring in cowher!!!!

broken12
i thnk this could have something to do with him not getting rid of slowik!!

LoyalSoldier
12-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Wow. That is huge.

Oh dear God no. It was bad enough to have a moron running the defense let alone the whole team.

Broncolingus
12-30-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm seeing it too...doesn't look like its fake.

LRtagger
12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Wowowowowowowowowowow

DenverBronkHoes
sorry shanny... ur a hack

SmilinAssasSin27
wow...

Medford Bronco
I guess Bowlen read my thread lol

Dont get me wrong I appreciate all that Shanny has done for this organization
but times change unfortunatley and Shanny did not want to change.

Dallas fired Tom Landry
and Don Shula was forced out of Miami.

I give Bowlen credit for doing this. ..Now its time to bring in the correct guy.

who will it be?

topscribe
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
It just appeared in the Rocky Mountain News: "Shanahan, Broncos Agree to Part Ways."

-----

spikerman
Personally, I don't see this as good news. I agree with the earlier post. I wonder if Shanahan was given an ultimatum on Slowik. Terrell Davis and Adam Schefter are reporting that it was a 5 minute conversation.

SmilinAssasSin27
Mangini please!

Northman
Although i dont know if it has much to do with it i know that Cowher turned down the Browns and was entertaining other offers. I wonder...

Medford Bronco
12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Here is Schefters link http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/30/broncos-fire-long-time-coach-shanahan/

topscribe

Dallas fired Tom Landry

I give Bowlen credit for doing this. ..Now its time to bring in the correct guy.

who will it be?

Wouldn't that be a kick if they brought in Schottenheimer, and he beat the
Chargers next year for the Division? :laugh:

-----

Medford Bronco
Mangini please!

NO way I dont want that rat running my team. He also choked this year as well.

Sorry SA. Agree to disagree

JKcatch724
I'm speechless. Let's hope we don't play any team that picks him up in the future.

Cutler6MVP
i got the text from CBS 4 Denver, this is unbelievable and stupid.

Medford Bronco
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Wouldn't that be a kick if they brought in Schottenheimer, and he beat the
Chargers next year for the Division? :laugh:

-----

Schotteheimer would have a better D than we had this year but we would probably lose in the first round of the playoffs to NE :shocked::lol:

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
This sucks. Shanahan is a great coach. The only way I'm okay with this is if we get Kubes back, and that's not going to happen. How do you take away Shanahan from Cutler? I'm shocked.

studbucket
12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
I always thought Shanny the GM needed help, but I thought we were in good hands with Shanny the coach....

Well, let's hope this turns out OK.

Thank you Mike Shanahan for all you have given us, you have been a fantastic coach and I am proud that you ran the Broncos for 14 years.

DenverBronkHoes
no balls... too conservative.... too much power....

this team needs toughness.......

this team needs a new leader....

Good Riddance Shanny.....

MileHighWrath
Got the text, confirmed on ESPN News.

Coach for life, or until you get completely embarrassed in a division championship game on national TV and swear to keep the DC that admitted to not knowing what the hell he's doing.

topscribe
Personally, I don't see this as good news. I agree with the earlier post. I wonder if Shanahan was given an ultimatum on Slowik. Terrell Davis and Adam Schefter are reporting that it was a 5 minute conversation.

Actually, I don't either. The Broncos are trending up, and I thought they
would have a strong team next year. They probably will yet. Still . . .

-----

LRtagger
12-30-2008, 05:35 PM
I wonder if Bowlen told him "make the playoffs or you are fired"...and that is why he kept making the promises that we would make the playoffs this year. Makes sens if they only had a 5min convo before making the announcement.

Medford Bronco
i got the text from CBS 4 Denver, this is unbelievable and stupid.

Why is it stupid.

Shanny did not motivate this team

They are 17-20 since Cutler was QB

His drafting was horrible and his halftime adjustments
have been bad.

He has not been the same since Elway retired and more recently since the Plummer fiasco that he brought on himself.

LRtagger
I bet Zambini is doing backflips. :lol:

topscribe
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Somewhere in the snow of the Rocky Mountains, JR is clicking his heels . . .

-----

Superchop 7
12-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Wow,

actually....unbelievable.

Getting rid of Jake was a mistake.

Just about everything defensively has been a mistake.

They better not get a hack.

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
no balls... too conservative.... too much power....

this team needs toughness.......

this team needs a new leader....

Good Riddance Shanny.....

You're right. No balls. Too conservative... Give me a break. Did you watch any of Mike Shanahan's games as a coach? Do you not remember going for 2 to win the game in week 2? No other coach in the league would have done that. You don't know what you're talking about man.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Why is it stupid.

have been bad.

He has not been the same since Elway retired and more recently since the Plummer fiasco that he brought on himself.

Three years later, his drafting is horrible . . .

-----

DenverBronkHoes
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
PArcells may leave the Fins.... this is what im hearing down here...

People... dont get crazy.... This is a good thing... NOBODY IS UNTOUCHABLE....

Shanny will find a new home.... we will welcome a new leader.....

Mid-west Chargers fan
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
This sucks. Shanahan is a great coach. The only way I'm okay with this is if we get Kubes back, and that's not going to happen. How do you take away Shanahan from Cutler? I'm shocked.

This doesn't bode well for the foreseeable future for your team. A young team needs continuity in the game plan.

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Holy shit. I am shocked and speechless. I have never watched a Broncos game without Shanahan in my life. I really don't know what to think right now.

Italianmobstr7
How is his drafting horrible? It was at one point, but it hasn't been lately. He's the guy who has drafted TD, Rod Smith, Jay Cutler, Eddie Royal, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Peyton Hillis, etc... The recent drafts haven't been horrible. They've given us a great young core of players, at least on offense.

DenverBronkHoes
You're right. No balls. Too conservative... Give me a break. Did you watch any of Mike Shanahan's games as a coach? Do you not remember going for 2 to win the game in week 2? No other coach in the league would have done that. You don't know what you're talking about man.

yea thats it...

u clown.... he went for that cuz he knew we should have lost...

name another time he did something like that.......

dont worry ill wait...

HE PLAYS TO NOT LOSE GAMES.... HE DOESNT PLAY TO WIN..... UNLESS HE KNOWS HE SHOULD HAVE LOST

JONtheBRONCO
This pisses me off

Medford Bronco
Three years later, his drafting is horrible . . .

-----

Maybe I was not clear

His draft history was bad until recently.

The year we took 5 dbs.
the fiasco of the RB who never played for us (I cant remember his name but was from Ohio State)

I appreciate what he did but it is time for a change.

JONtheBRONCO
I wonder what Jay Cutler will think.

CrazyHorse

I'd love some Tuna!

Gamechanger
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Damn, It happens though.....

topscribe
12-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Maybe I was not clear

The year we took 5 dbs.
the fiasco of the RB who never played for us (I cant remember his name but was from Ohio State)

Well, maybe so, Med. But I have very, very mixed emotions at this point . . .

-----

Northman
Yep, i figured it wouldnt be for another 2 years but i think his Playoff Guarantee and refusal to address Slowik may have played a major part in his departure.

gnomeflinger
tides are a turnin...

DenverBronkHoes
How is his drafting horrible? It was at one point, but it hasn't been lately. He's the guy who has drafted TD, Rod Smith, Jay Cutler, Eddie Royal, Brandon Marshall, Elvis Dumervil, Peyton Hillis, etc... The recent drafts haven't been horrible. They've given us a great young core of players, at least on offense.

hia drafting sucks buddy.......

donty let me get into why we should have Ed Reed on our team and Reggie Wayne...

guy SUCKS at drafting..... he hit on a few... but overall he sucked.....

Northman
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM

-----

Im still kind of in numb shock.

Broncos4Ever24
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe I was not clear

The year we took 5 dbs.

talking about maurice clarett?

LoyalSoldier
12-30-2008, 05:43 PM
If we got someone like Cower who has historically been good with defenses I wouldn't be too sad. I just hope we don't get a total idiot.

DenverBronkHoes
better start liking this people.....

its a new ERA!!!

Medford Bronco

-----

I understand your frustration

I appreciate what he did and meant to this organization but
He has not done a great job lately and sorry but I see this is a positive.

I must be by myself with a few.

He dug his own grave with the Plummer fiasco. I am not a Plummer fan but that was handled so wrong.

Italianmobstr7
12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
hia drafting sucks buddy.......

donty let me get into why we should have Ed Reed on our team and Reggie Wayne...

guy SUCKS at drafting..... he hit on a few... but overall he sucked.....

Okay, whatever. Think what you want dude. You're such a pessimist it's not even funny. He hit on a bunch, he missed on a bunch. Every coach does. Lately, he's been good at drafting. The players and their stats speak for themselves.

BCJ
Wow. That is huge.

You should be banned for life for even mentioning the nightmare to life scenario! If Bowlen thinks his money is being wasted, I am for it. I was more of a Mike supporter but once it has been done, I am fine with it. I think him saying that Slowik stays had to be the end for Bowlen. Cowher will tough this defense up big time. The smirk will scare them into submission.

Magnificent Seven
Wow!!!!!

Mid-west Chargers fan
I'd love some Tuna!

Parcells probably wouldn't come in as HC, just GM. This still leaves you with the decision of who Parcells would bring in as HC (Jason Garrett?!?).

Denver Native (Carol)
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/shanahan.fireed.broncos.2.897334.html

Broncos Fire Head Coach Mike Shanahan

Below is an official news release from the Denver Broncos regarding the firing of head coach Mike Shanahan:

Denver Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen today relieved Mike Shanahan from his position as Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Head Coach of the National Football League team, effective immediately.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen issued the following statement: "After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos. This is certainly a difficult decision, but one that I feel must be made and which will ultimately be in the best interests of all concerned."

Bowlen added, "I appreciate the 21 years that Mike Shanahan has given to the organization as an assistant and head coach, and the two Super Bowl wins in that time. His contributions hold a special place in Broncos history."

Pat Bowlen will hold a press conference at the Denver Broncos' headquarters on Wednesday at 11 a.m., and Mike Shanahan will meet the press shortly thereafter.

Magnificent Seven
Bowlen is dumb to let him go!

Magnificent Seven
12-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Bill cowher????

Gamechanger
Leslie Frazier is out on the market

Rex Ryan anyone?

Peerless
Does this mean that Bates is gone as well?

Skinny
12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Rick Dennison. :heh:

Denver Native (Carol)

I agree. I wonder if it had to do with Bowlen wanting him to give up GM, and Mike would not give that up?????

DenverBronkHoes
Okay, whatever. Think what you want dude. You're such a pessimist it's not even funny. He hit on a bunch, he missed on a bunch. Every coach does. Lately, he's been good at drafting. The players and their stats speak for themselves.

and lately we are still losers not making the playoffs.....

no coach should be comfortable with his job right now....

I wanna go to the friggin playoffs buddy.... Im sick of Shanny-Ball...

im glad he's gone.....

Broncos4Ever24
Parcells probably wouldn't come in as HC, just GM. This still leaves you with the decision of who Parcells would bring in as HC (Jason Garrett?!?).

I would be down with giving Garrett a shot

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Please No to Parcells. He is well past his prime as a HC. I don't want to be hiring another coach in three years when Tuna gets tired of it again.

Dean
With improvement on the defense next year, we were set for a good year.

Now, new head coach, new assistants, new offenses, new defense, new players, and starting all over.:2thumbsdown:

I am going to be very interested to find out more about the firing.

You always have to remember to be careful what you pray for. . .you might get it.

Italianmobstr7
You're probably one of the few that are happy that he's gone. There's not a better coach out there right now. This is going to hurt our players, especially the young ones. This was a bad time to do it. Especially since we can't sign a big named coach with Shanny's contract on the books for another 3 years. This is a bad decision for the team RIGHT now.

BroncoManiac
12-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :mad:

studbucket
Pioli + Spagnoulu is something I would like to see.

MileHighWrath
P. Bowlen: ".... and take that POS Slowik with you!"

Medford Bronco
12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
People can make excuses all they want but losing at home to Oakland, Buffalo and Jax when they were all down this year did not help his cause.

Losing at KC was not good either

to be up 13-0 vs Buffalo at home and to choke it away was not good.

If we did our job like Shanny did in December but were Employee of the Year in 97 and 98 we would be demoted or fired as well. It is called accountablity.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I hope you all got what you ******* wanted

MileHighWrath
12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
I hope you all got what you ******* wanted

says the zen master: "We'll see..."

Mid-west Chargers fan
You're probably one of the few that are happy that he's gone. There's not a better coach out there right now. This is going to hurt our players, especially the young ones. This was a bad time to do it. Especially since we can't sign a big named coach with Shanny's contract on the books for another 3 years. This is a bad decision for the team RIGHT now.

I guess it all depends on the wording in his contract. If he gets hired right away, the Broncos may be off the hook for the remaining years.

I think he will land on his feet with another team fairly quickly

NightTrainLayne

What does Shanny's contract have to do with anything? There's not cap on Coaching contracts.

Bowlen has a plan. I'm guessing that he and Shanny hashed out some type of settlement that wouldn't hamstring Bowlen. Otherwise, Bowlen wouldn't have done it. He's one of the best owner's in the league, he has a plan.

topscribe
Im still kind of in numb shock.

I understand your frustration

I appreciate what he did and meant to this organization but
He has not done a great job lately and sorry but I see this is a positive.

I must be by myself with a few.

He dug his own grave with the Plummer fiasco. I am not a Plummer fan but that was handled so wrong.

I may feel different tomorrow, but I just have kind of a sick feeling right now . . .

-----

JONtheBRONCO
Broncos fired head coach Mike Shanahan.

The better decision would have been to strip Shanahan of his personnel duties, but owner Pat Bowlen made the reactionary move to fire him outright. Bowlen is very unlikely to find a better in-game strategist and influence on Jay Cutler. It's also now unclear what will become of the team's zone-blocking running system, a longtime Broncos staple. Shanahan finishes his 14 years in Denver with a 136-86 record, two Super Bowl wins, and seven playoff appearances. This is a foolish firing by the Broncos.

Cutler6MVP
Why is it stupid.

have been bad.

Hes one of the greatest coaches ever, hes an offensive mastermind. Shanny made the broncos and with the team he had this year, he did a pretty fine job.

broncogirl7
12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
JMO, but this was a bone-head move by Bowlen! Shanahan was not the problem! I call BS! He maybe part of the problem, but not all the problem.
I bet he goes to Detroit. Wouldn't that be interesting?

muse
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I may feel different tomorrow, but I just have kind of a sick feeling right now . . .

-----

I know what you mean...I got a stomach jolt on that one. I still can't believe it. I'm not going to for a long time.

Superchop 7
I'd be very happy with Cowher.....no doubt.....I like his intensity and toughness.

But, we could also go in-house with Dennison and keep the offense intact.

There are some very talented d-co-ordinators out there.

The best move may be to keep the offense the same, drafting the same, and actually hand over the defense to someone with talent and reputation.

Oh, and a GM would be nice.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
does this make anyone else really upset?
because of this we will not be successful next year

Northman
12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
People can make excuses all they want but losing at home to Oakland, Buffalo and Jax when they were all down this year did not help his cause.

Losing at KC was not good either

to be up 13-0 vs Buffalo at home and to choke it away was not good.

If we did our job like Shanny did in December but were Employee of the Year in 97 and 98 we would be demoted or fired as well. It is called accountablity.

Why dont you pop some champagne while your celebrating. I dont have a problem with the move but when people come out and start jerking off to a someone who was very important to this franchise it bothers me. Good grief.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Shanny didn't need to be fired...he needed to have the personnel stuff removed from his job descriotion. We needed to hire a REAL GM who understands defense.

And as far as his contract goes, we pay him unless he gets a new gig. Then we don't pay him quite as much. There may be no cap, but it's still hard to come up w/ big dollars for a big name when yer still flipping the bill for the old coach.

Mid-west Chargers fan
I'd be very happy with Cowher.....no doubt.....I like his intensity and toughness.

The best move may be to keep the offense the same, drafting the same, and actually hand over the defense to someone with talent and reputation.

I hear Ted Cottrel is looking for work!!!

Broncogator
I'm fugging speachless.

CrazyHorse
JMO, but this was a bone-head move by Bowlen! Shanahan was not the problem! I call BS! He maybe part of the problem, but not all the problem.

That would suck if he did and Detroit won a Super Bowl before us.

Requiem / The Dagda
All I can do is thank Mike Shanahan for years of amazing Denver Broncos football and wish him nothing but the best. I never thought he'd get fired, I thought he'd always leave on his own terms. He's a great coach, probably Hall of Fame. I can only hope we can get someone half as good as Mike. Please, call Bill Cowher right now.

BroncoManiac
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
P. Bowlen: ".... and take that POS Slowik with you!"

Nice .... :lol:

Northman

Unfortuantely when you play with fire for too long it does come to bite you in the ass. Billick saw the same thing happen to him last year. Im disappointed as this team is in the midst of transition but at the same time i understand the move.

SmilinAssasSin27

The only reason this was done is beacuse the message got old. I doubt they hire from within. I'm willing to bet Bowlen thinks the O will be fine and will focus on a defensive oriented coach.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
Spagnoula would be great or however you spell it

MileHighWrath
I left San Diego feeling like the Broncos owed me one. Taking shit from charger fans for such an putrid embarrassment of a "football game."

I feel like Bowlen just spoke to me, "Sorry MHW. I'll make it up to you, I swear"

... so far so good.

Italianmobstr7

It's not guaranteed that we won't be successful next year, but this definitely doesn't help if you ask me. I'm shocked and upset with this, but it is the NFL. These things happen. Thanks Shanny for all your hard work. A bunch of winning seasons, and 2 Super Bowl victories. Best coach in Broncos history. Hopefully we can get some new blood in here and fire this team up, especially on D.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 05:57 PM
At least it'll make our draft unpredictable.

Do we have a decent core for a 3-4 conversion?

Move back in the draft for Tyson Jackson at DE and sign Chris Canty? Or just draft maulauga to go w/ Larsen, DJ and Elvis at LB? Just sayin...

underrated29
This IS BULLSHIT!!

Seriously, one of the dumbest moves ever!

Our team is almost there, All we needed was some d guys and D coaches. Now we need all of that plus a new HC.

And thats not easy, the players have to like him, what about our running game and ZBS? And Jay, and the best playcalls when the shit is on the line. I know we had bates run most of the calls, but when shanny is game planning, no one is better.

This freaking blows.

This has not been a good week.

Northman

Hard to say. Bmore thought they would suck this year too. Anything can happen.

gnomeflinger
Don't know if this was suggested, but do you think Bowlen will go after Mangini?

GEM
12-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Herm Edwards went for 2 against the Chargers. Just sayin.

underrated29
let me add i would only consider us having a chance if we get COWER.

He is the 1 and only coach i think we can pick up and not regress next year.

I F'ing hate cheering for a team that sucks. It better not be that way.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
Don't know if this was suggested, but do you think Bowlen will go after Mangini?

aw hell no

Italianmobstr7
I'll bet the Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers and all of their fans are loving this right about now.

Magnificent Seven
12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Could Bowlen get Shanahan for Broncos' offensive coordinator?

smith49
wow, to say the least. i really did not think that shanny was in jeapordy of lossing his job.

that said, i cant say that i am overly concerned about it.

look, he has been a great coach. he got us 2 sb rings after all. i think he has done a good job on that end, and i thank and applaud him for that.

on the other hand, i have always had kind of an opinion that about ten years or so is a good term for a coach in the nfl. i may be wrong in that thinking, but never the less, its what i have always thought. so...like i said, im shocked, but not overly dissapointed.

it may be time for new leadership. it feels like the past several seasons have just seen the broncos treading water. was it the HC? maybe, maybe not. i think however that this move is comming at the right time.

i love shanny, and again, i think he has done so much for this organization, but there is always a time for change. i can't really blame those that are angry or even happy about this. its difficult to let go of the feeling of confidence that we all had in shanny. i myslelf am kind of struggling with it. bowlen will find a good replacement, and this team will once again rise above the rest. i think that shanny was struggling with getting that done. he has, after all, had a lot of time since elway left to do so.

im not trying to dis on shanny, but i think its time. hopefully we can get a real GM in here and get this ship back on the right coarse.

im not trying to argue with anyone or say you are right or wrong for the way you may feel about this. im just saying how i look at it, thats all.

MasterShake
I'm speechless. Let's hope we don't play any team that picks him up in the future.

Yes, maybe he might actually be able to get the team up for a win unlike he was able to do the past 3 games for us.

I'm a huge Shannahan supporter, but I think the times have passed him up.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
does this mean goodby to our great running game?

gnomeflinger
Would Shanny take that job if offered?

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
12-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Could Bowlen get Shanahan for Broncos' offensive coordinator?

youre an idiot if you honestly think that would happen

Medford Bronco
This IS BULLSHIT!!

Our team is almost there, All we needed was some d guys and D coaches. Now we need all of that plus a new HC.

And thats not easy, the players have to like him, what about our running game and ZBS? And Jay, and the best playcalls when the shit is on the line. I know we had bates run most of the calls, but when shanny is game planning, no one is better.

This freaking blows.

U29 I usually agree with you but this team is not almost there.

The defense needs a major overhaul
and the offense needs to learn how to take care of the ball much better.

The offense is close the defense is a million miles away.

I wish Shanny well but it was time for a change.

JONtheBRONCO
Bring in Bill Parcells if anyone for the GM. I don't want to hear anything about a college coach, Mangina, or anyone... There isn't one guy out there who I believe can tap Cutler to his full potential besides Mike.

Requiem / The Dagda
What if Kyle Shanahan was his replacement?

SmilinAssasSin27
aw hell no

Why not? Cuz Favre ruined his team who he made into a winner? Dude took a pile of crap and turned it into a 10 game winner in 2006. Injuries and a new defensive philosophy killed em in 2007 and they won 9 this year w/ a QB who the coach tried to hold accountable. Mangini can coach folks...and he likes defense.

Gamechanger
anyone think his son will come to help out this O?

broken12
This IS BULLSHIT!!

This freaking blows.

thats it he wanted to keep the defensive staff in tact, wich is unexcusable. power struggle and the owner won!@! now i really hope we keep the offensive staff in tact, maybe bobby turner or alex gibbs gets a shot, bowlen on the books for 3 yrs with shannys contract so we'll be bargain shopping again!!

frauschieze
12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm willing to bet Bowlen thinks the O will be fine and will focus on a defensive oriented coach.

That's kinda my thinking too. We're pretty well set on offense (depending on Weigmann and whether or not Lichenstieger can take over at C or LG and Hamilton slides over AND a real RB) and Jeremy Bates just had a contract extension. I can only hope we get a defensive 'genius' in here.....

gnomeflinger
Bring in Bill Parcells if anyone for the GM. I don't want to hear anything about a college coach, Mangina, or anyone... There isn't one guy out there who I believe can tap Cutler to his full potential besides Mike.

Mangina :laugh:

Northman
does this mean goodby to our great running game?

Not only that but what about player personality? Do we start dealing with trouble players again or continue to clean it up?

Denver Native (Carol)
I am totally shocked. I don't think there are any better coaches in the NFL than Mike. Thanks Mike for all you did for the Denver Broncos :salute:

Northman
Parcells isnt leaving Miami right now.

nmbroncosfan
12-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Bill cowher????

Bill Cowher will not coach in 2009. Bowland has f'd up this time what a mistake.

BroncoWave
Herm Edwards went for 2 against the Chargers. Just sayin.

Herm Edward's team wasn't in position to be a contender, so there was less risk when you are coaching a 2 win team. Just sayin.

Medford Bronco
Yes, maybe he might actually be able to get the team up for a win unlike he was able to do the past 3 games for us.

I'm a huge Shannahan supporter, but I think the times have passed him up.

great post and agreed.

we all have to let go of the 1997 and 1998 teams.

that was a long time ago and had no bearing on this team.

2002 started 6-2 finished 9-7 out of the playoffs
2006 started 6-2 finished 9-7 out of the playoffs
2007 started 2-0 finished 7-9 out of the playoffs
2008 started 4-1 got to 8-5 finished 8-8 out of the playoffs.

Is there a pattern here? Yes the talent was not the best but
his teams historically fade down the stretch, at least recently

Dean
Unfortuantely when you play with fire for too long it does come to bite you in the ass. Billick saw the same thing happen to him last year. Im disappointed as this team is in the midst of transition but at the same time i understand the move.

Then please explain it to me! :throwrock:

Northman
12-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Bill Cowher will not coach in 2009. Bowland has f'd up this time what a mistake.

Not entirely true. The news line on ESPN is saying he is in serious talks with the Jets.

SmilinAssasSin27
Not only that but what about player personality? Do we start dealing with trouble players again or continue to clean it up?

we've never been on the forefront of upstanding citizenship.

Medford Bronco
Mangina :laugh:

lol I dont want that rat coaching our team. He is a rat and I hope he is not here.

JKcatch724
12-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Where's G?! I need him here to make sense out of all this!

SmilinAssasSin27
Not entirely true. The news line on ESPN is saying he is in serious talks with the Jets.

Schefter just declared Cowher does not coach in 2009. He said the Jets can give him the Empire State bldg and he ain't coaching. We'll see...but Schefter better hope he is right since he sounded so sure.

GEM
Herm Edward's team wasn't in position to be a contender, so there was less risk when you are coaching a 2 win team. Just sayin.

That's why I added the just sayin.....you said no other coach would do that and one did. :shrugs:

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 06:05 PM
lol I dont want that rat coaching our team. He is a rat and I hope he is not here.

what makes him a rat? The fact that he called out a team who he caught cheating?

Northman
12-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Then please explain it to me! :throwrock:

Which part man?

3 DC's in 4 years. Defense getting worse in the process.

Lack of energy or motivation with an almost ho-hum attitude on the sideline.

Questionable playcalling in key moments of key games.

Choking away a 3 game lead in the division.

Although i think we were still 2 years away and could of got there with Shanny i can see why Pat was getting a little nervous.

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Bowlen sat Shanahan down and probably said, "You have to give up the GM position Mike." Mike said, "I can't do that."

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 06:06 PM
That's why I added the just sayin.....you said no other coach would do that and one did. :shrugs:

I wasn't the one that said that. :confused:

Requiem / The Dagda
12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
The Denver Broncos were going to have to make a move like this at some point or another. 21 years is a long time. Like I said, Mike is one of the best -- but it is sort of clear that after years of mediocrity -- something needed to be done. I have felt for a long time that Mike has ridden the wave of his late 90s success and hasn't done that much lately. I thought this year he did an admirable job with all the injuries -- but there is a lot to be desired from our past struggles. He has defended a lot of people (from Slowik to Sundquist) that probably didn't need it and I don't think it helped matters.

I'm just interested to see who gets to replace him. Do we go for another offensive minded guy or do we go for a balanced coach? Do we go for a defensive genius? College ranks? NFL ranks? This is going to be interesting.

This has a severe impact on the NFL Draft and Free Agency. Guys, this is as serious as it gets. Welcome to the new era.

Northman
12-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Bowlen sat Shanahan down and probably said, "You have to give up the GM position Mike." Mike said, "I can't do that."

I definitely can see that going down. Probably 4 years too late.

nmbroncosfan
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Adam Schefter just said Cowher would not coach the Jets or anyone else in 2009 on the NFL network, They will look for a young offensive coach.

silkamilkamonico
12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
The Denver Broncos were going to have to make a move like this at some point or another. 21 years is a long time. Like I said, Mike is one of the best -- but it is sort of clear that after years of mediocrity -- something needed to be done. I have felt for a long time that Mike has ridden the wave of his late 90s success and hasn't done that much lately. I thought this year he did an admirable job with all the injuries -- but there is a lot to be desired from our past struggles. He has defended a lot of people (from Slowik to Sundquist) that probably didn't need it and I don't think it helped matters.

I'm just interested to see who gets to replace him. Do we go for another offensive minded guy or do we go for a balanced coach? Do we go for a defensive genius? College ranks? NFL ranks? This is going to be interesting.

This has a severe impact on the NFL Draft and Free Agency. Guys, this is as serious as it gets. Welcome to the new era.

I totally agree.

Shanahan has done a great job building parts of this team, but the fact of the matter is the results just aren't there.

I really hope Denver goes defensive with a coach, because the offense can still take care of itself. The most consistent teams in the game today have a heavy lean towards a defensive minded coach.

BroncoBJ
12-30-2008, 06:10 PM

I thought Shanny was the rat. :lol:

I'm sad to see him go though but sometimes a change is good.
Guess only time will tell.
Although I'm hoping for a new young coach.
I don't want a coach that I've heard of before. :elefant:

elsid13
Well I think it was mistake Bowlen there was everyday and maybe it didn't think that was working anymore. I wish Shanahan the best, and that his coaches that have made Denver a model franchise. Hopefully Turner and Bates will stick around.

And now we get the experience the crap that rest of the league experience. I would hate to be the next coach because Shanahan specator will be over him like Elways is over Cutler.

Northman
I wonder who will sign Shanny on.

spikerman
I've been sitting here looking at this situation and I'm starting to wonder if Mike Shanahan wanted to be fired. Think about it; he immediately announces that Slowik will be back which could bring about a hypothetical ultimatum from Bowlen which Shanahan refuses. I'm just spitballing, but what if Shanahan was burned out and wanted a way out? If he's fired he's owed the money remaining on the contract. If he quits he probably gets a pro-rated portion. If he wanted to be leave, this was the smart way to do it.

Requiem / The Dagda
Lex or anyone else who are good coaching scouts, start up a thread. I am not savvy in that area. Good Lord, this is going to be a great off-season. :popcorn:

MileHighWrath

P. Bowlen: "Then I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you go Mike, and you can take that POS Slowik with you!"

elsid13
12-30-2008, 06:11 PM
let me add i would only consider us having a chance if we get COWER.

He is the 1 and only coach i think we can pick up and not regress next year.

I F'ing hate cheering for a team that sucks. It better not be that way.

It been reported Bowlen is looking for young OC take over. Not Cowher!

jrelway
12-30-2008, 06:11 PM
wow.. never thought id see this. wonder which team is gonna swoop him up.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
My son said that Dave Logan was suppose to be on vacation from KOA, and they called him in, and he said it was a mutual agreement. All I can think of is what I posted before - Bowlen wanted Mike to step down as GM, and Mike said no.

elsid13
12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
I wonder who will sign Shanny on.

Let see KC, Cleveland, Dallas, NYJ and bet SF is kicking itself.

jrelway
12-30-2008, 06:13 PM
thanks for the 2 rings shanny..good luck. maybe you can go to the lions and turn that team around..wonder who were gonna sign now for HC.

Requiem / The Dagda
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. If that is the case, then the decision needed to be made.

Dean
Which part man?

3 DC's in 4 years. Defense getting worse in the process.

Lack of energy or motivation with an almost ho-hum attitude on the sideline.

Questionable playcalling in key moments of key games.

Choking away a 3 game lead in the division.

Although i think we were still 2 years away and could of got there with Shanny i can see why Pat was getting a little nervous.

Do suppose that talent had something to do with it? The offense was rebuilt in the last few years. IMO the defense was to be this year's project.

What team doesn't have questionable play calling at key moments? There were also some great calls that seem forgotten.

To me, this smacks of lynch mob mentality.

Northman
Let see KC, Cleveland, Dallas, NYJ and bet SF is kicking itself.

I hope he doesnt sign with KC. I just cant see that.

smith49
12-30-2008, 06:14 PM

i think you meant 12 years:D. and yah, i think it had to happen sooner than later. like i said before, i cant blame those that are not happy about this, but i see it as a change that was somewhat inevitable.

and remember everyone, that change can be a good thing. remember the last time we got a new HC. things got better and we won a couple of sb's. granted they were with shanny. Ten years is a good long time to coach in the nfl, and i think that after that youve kind of run youre coarse. its just the way ive always seen it.

CrazyHorse
12-30-2008, 06:14 PM

If he does he will earn the name Ratface.

MileHighWrath
12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
shannahan back to the raiders? :laugh::rofl::rofl:

Northman
Do suppose that talent had something to do with it? The offense was rebuilt in the last few years. IMO the defense was to be this year's project.

What team doesn't have questionable play calling at key moments? There were also so great calls that seem forgotten.

To me, this smacks of lynch mob mentality.

Fair points but because of the power that was granted to him maybe the expectations were higher. Dunno. Im saddened by it but like i said im not totally surprised either.

jrelway

be pretty awful if he signs with a division rival. then id have to call him shanarat as well. please let him go to a nfc team. i still have love for the mastermind.

powderaddict
12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks Mike for all you have done, and for bringing Back to Back SB wins to Denver.

I'll root hard for the next guy, but I am absolutely shocked.

SmilinAssasSin27
McDaniels of New England would fit that young OC description.

CrazyHorse

God no.
That's not funny.

nmbroncosfan
I wouldn't be surprised if he did sign with KC

Broncolingus
12-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Shanahan has given so much as we as Bronco fans owe him a special place like all Bronco greats, but I think the time is right for this and am supportive...

elsid13

I could Shanahan is cold heated ******* and I could see him attempting to prove Bowlen wrong about the firing. Remember this man still hates Al Davis after 20 years.

Nick

Dallas fired Tom Landry

who will it be?

I always liked Shanny and I am pretty surprised right now. This is something Bowlen had to do for the organization.

Being the Denver Broncos Head Coach has to be "The" most attractive job out there. The Broncos are going to be able to bring anyone in.

The only question is who...

underrated29
wow theres a lot of people in this thread. 51 members and 91 guests or something

Denver Native (Carol)
Many are upset with Turner in SD - I sure hope he does not go there

topscribe
12-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Knowing the Chargers, they will lose in the postseason, then fire Norvy (remember
Schottenheimer?). That will open another opportunity. Then Shanny will have two
teams in the AFCW he loves to beat whether he goes there or KC . . . :nod:

-----

Zweems56
Guess i won't be lurking here for a week until the "OH THANK GOD, SHANAHAN WAS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO FOOTBALL"-Tards find something new to talk about.

Medford Bronco

:lol: Al Davis would have to die first:shocked:

my only fear is that SD goes belly up in the playoffs
and then he becomes coach of a team that is stacked on
offense and has a good talented defense and he is the
head coach only for them and he would stick it to us
big time.

but some have said its burnout. I think so as well

I hope he takes some time off, he deserves it :salute:

silkamilkamonico
I hope Shanahan signs in the AFCWest.

It will be an easy 35+ points for our offense every time we play them.

D1g1tal j1m
I completely agree with JONtheBRONCO in that Bowlen most likely told Shan that he had to give up his Gm position to stay on as a coach and Shan couldn't give up the power. In the NFL you are best served having a separate GM and Coach and not have one man with all the power.
Shan is an excellent offensive coach but lacked the eye for defensive talent and it cost him. The D has been horrible the last few years and the drafting of the Defensive talent since 2000 has been ugly.

Rnd Name College Note
4 Jack Williams Kent State
5 Carlton Powell Virginia Tech
6 Spencer Larsen Arizona
7 Josh Barrett Arizona State

Rnd Name College Note
1 Jarvis Moss Florida
2 Tim Crowder Texas
4 Marcus Thomas Florida

Rnd Name College Note
4 Elvis Dumervil Louisville

Rnd Name College Note
2 Darrent Williams Oklahoma State
3 Karl Paymah Washington State
3 Domonique Foxworth Maryland

Rnd Name College Note
1 D.J. Williams Miami (FL)
3 Jeremy LeSueur Michigan
5 Jeff Shoate San Diego State

Rnd Name College Note
2 Terry Pierce Kansas State
4 Nicholas Eason Clemson
4 Bryant McNeal Clemson
6 Aaron Hunt Texas Tech
7 Clint Mitchell Florida

Rnd Name College Note
3 Dorsett Davis Mississippi State
4 Sam Brandon UNLV
5 Herb Haygood Michigan State
7 Monsanto Pope Virginia

Rnd Name College Note
1 Willie Middlebrooks Minnesota
2 Paul Toviessi Marshall
3 Reggie Hayward Iowa State

Rnd Name College Note
1 Deltha O'Neal California
2 Ian Gold Michigan
2 Kenoy Kennedy Arkansas

Northman
Many are upset with Turner in SD - I sure hope he does not go there

That would be a bigger slap in the face.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Get Scott Pioli to be or GM or something like that. Please. Find an awesome coach too.

Buff
It sucks it had to come to this. There is no one else I'd rather have running the offense, but the other facets of the organization haven't been up to par in recent years.

underrated29
shanny better go to............You know he might end up in dallas., a long shot, but maybe....Shanny might go to the browns- not the best fit, but they got the offensive talent shanny could use well.

Or the lions if he dares. I wouldnt be surprised to see him go low pro for a while.

Broncos Mtnman
Parcells isnt leaving Miami right now.

Parcells has an out in his contract if the team is sold and they are on the market.

nmbroncosfan
The record of Shanny speaks for it's self....Bowland screwed up big time

Nick

I can see Bowlen bringing Parcells in as a GM.

NightTrainLayne
I hope Shanahan signs in the AFCWest.

It will be an easy 35+ points for our offense every time we play them.

That is soooo wrong.

DenverBronkHoes
12-30-2008, 06:20 PM
he was a shitty VP

Astrass
Shanny was losing his mojo. I think he lost his passion and needs a change of scenery. We need some hard nose type of coach who can balance our team our and get our defense on point...like Cohwer. Man I'd love to have him here. That would be sweet.

BCJ

And Mike was dumb to let Slowik stay! I am not sure what this brings us or what was the deep reasoning for the firing but it was all on Shanahan. He had a ton of power that gave us some horrible drafts. The carousel of DC wasnt helping him in the hiring status either. I like him, but the move to move on is ok with me. Pat hasnt made too many mistakes in this franchise. We have been pretty lucky as fans.

DenverBronkHoes
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
hey Shanny....

what have u done for us lately?

ridiculous signings.... guy has no nose for talent....

Medford Bronco
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Shanny was losing his mojo. I think he lost his passion and needs a change of scenery. We need some hard nose type of coach who can balance our team our and get our defense on point...like Cohwer. Man I'd love to have him here. That would be sweet.

and somone who can get Cutler to grow up and have him
stop focusing on the stupid rivalry with Rivers. Rivers dont
care and he should not either.

JONtheBRONCO
12-30-2008, 06:22 PM
2 losing seasons.

jrelway
12-30-2008, 06:23 PM
like some said earlier, if SD gets their asses whooped in the playoffs, theyll fire norv..i know the SD front office will get shanahan in for a interview with a quickness.

nmbroncosfan
hope we don't turn into Detroit

Northman
Espn still reporting that Cowher is talking with the Jets. Only that he wants his own personel guy.

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Shanny was the best coach we ever had and I will forever be gratefull for what he did. Make no mistake about it. He will be successful where ever he goes. I wanted to see Slowick go but didn't know it would come to this.

JONtheBRONCO
this sucks

pnbronco
and somone who can get Cutler to grow up and have him
stop focusing on the stupid rivalry with Rivers. Rivers dont
care and he should not either.

Med you have so hit the nail on the head. Wow I didn't know we could have this many people on the site....

NightTrainLayne
Shanny was great. I loved him as a coach from day one.

I will miss him as a coach. I will always be a fan of his wherever he goes (prolly not the team he coaches, but him).

That being said, I can't fault Bowlen on this. If Shanny was keeping Slowik on it just didn't make any sense anymore. If we were going to strive for consistency on the defensive side, then we should have kept Bates last year and let HIS scheme, which has been proven on other teams settle in here.

CoachChaz
12-30-2008, 06:25 PM
IMO, Denver, at least at this point, has to be the more desireable job. Other than a solid running back, the offense is set for a few years. A guy like Cowher could build the defense and add a back and be a contender for a long time. The Jets have to start over at QB. Not quite as easy, but I guess he did it with Ben, so who knows

Nick
Shannahan's son looked pretty good calling the plays for Kubes last game against the Bears... :D

Only if Shannahan could still wright out the plays for the first drive. He seems to be a lot better at that.

jrelway
ill damn this team to hell if they end up keeping slowik after this. whoever takes over for shanny better make it a priority to ship that soft ******* out of town.

Broncolingus
12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
I'd probably take Cowher, given the other choices out there, but it sounds like his family is fairly into the NY scene...

Parcells or Pioli would be great choices, but I don't see the Tuna leaving Miami...

tomjonesrocks
12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Am speechless and astounded. I said Slowik had to go with or without Shanahan--can't believe Shanahan was fired before Slowik. There must be a lot we don't know here...

Medford Bronco
12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Med you have so hit the nail on the head. Wow I didn't know we could have this many people on the site....

Dont get me wrong I appreciate what Shanny did but
he has lost his touch

to me he dug his grave with the Plummer fiasco in 2006 and I am no fan of PLummer, it was just handled all wrong. He should have finished that year and Cutler started in 2007.

but most are going to disagree with me. If I got fired, i am sure there would not be tons of people up in arms over the decision. Change happens in life I hope they bring in the right guy

It can be done. Look at Miami, ATlanta and Baltimore, all pathetic teams least year and all in the playoffs this season.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Tuna seems to be an East Coast guy. He did a stint in Dallas, but otherwise it was NYJ, NYG, NE and Miami. I kinda doubt he moves too far away from the Atlantic Ocean.

Northman
ill damn this team to hell if they end up keeping slowik after this. whoever takes over for shanny better make it a priority to ship that soft ******* out of town.

Honestly, i seriously doubt it. Whatever coach comes here will bring their own guy in im pretty sure of that. Slowik was a personal friend of Shanny so i cant see a new coach wanting to keep him the way the team performed this year on defense.

Requiem / The Dagda
There is no reason Bob Slowik needs to be here. Wow. WOW.

gnomeflinger
Who is going to host the weanie roast and bon fire party, soon to be followed by the tar and feathering of Slowik? :laugh:

sportjunkee
Ryan Clady of the Broncos already talked to jocklife.com, he even said he was surprised, I linked it here. (http://jocklife.com/eng/news/redirect.cfm?sectionID=news/extranetNewsDetail.cfm&newsItemID=13308) Frankly, I'm glad and I hope they hire Cower and not Marty.

Mike
Let's not disrespect the guy. He accomplished a lot. He just wore down and lost his umfph. It happens to a lot of coaches who stay in the same place over a long period of time. He will get picked up pretty quick...Jets. His name will be at the top of the list for any team and rightly so. And my money says that he will be successful wherever he goes.

I love the guy for what he brought to Denver and for enjoying the teams he fielded. I lost confidence 2 years ago...and was convinced Sunday night/Monday morning that he needed to step down and move on. I am not jumping for joy, but I think that this was needed and is for the best.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 06:29 PM
The fyun will come when the new coach is hired and he COMPLETELY CLEANS HOUSE ON DEFENSE. He has no loyalty to any part of the steaming pile. Some say that Champ and DJ can't be traded...we're about to find out.

roomemp
I thought I would be happy but I am not. I am truely upset. Its probably best for the team but I am probably going to cry!!!!!!!!

Northman
but most are going to disagree with me.

Yea, i disagree with you on the Plummer issue. Outside of that we share some of the same feelings.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Still think he just shoulda hired Cowher or someone of a defensive mind to be a consultant on draft day.

Broncos Mtnman
12-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Just a thought....

Kubes only has 2 years left on his original contract with the Texans. I think it's quite possible that Bowlen would entertain giving up a draft pick to them in order to buy out the remainder of his contract.

Kubes could probably get Gibbs back to Denver, and he obviously has some knowledge of our offense.

I know that doesn't address the defense issues, but Kubes would obviously be welcome back in Denver.

Mike
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
like some said earlier, if SD gets their asses whooped in the playoffs, theyll fire norv..i know the SD front office will get shanahan in for a interview with a quickness.

I just can't see the Chuggers GM and Shanahan's egos fitting in the same room. I will be shocked if he goes to any AFCW team...if it happened I would say KC over SD simply because of the GM situations. But then again yesterday I would have said the same thing about him getting fired.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Just a thought....

Kubes only has 2 years left on his original contract with the Texans. I think it's quite possible that Bowlen would entertain giving up a draft pick to them in order to buy out the remainder of his contract.

Kubes could probably get Gibbs back to Denver, and he obviously has some knowledge of our offense.

I know that doesn't address the defense issues, but Kubes would obviously be welcome back in Denver.

Ummmm...no. No losing draft picks. WAY too many holes to fill.

Medford Bronco
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Just a thought....

What is funny Mtnman is I emailed my friend and told him that Kubs would be great here. He has success in offense and would do well to calm Cutler down.

I would also hope that he would bring in a very Stong DC to help out that unit

Northman
Just a thought....

Frankly, i would rather go with some new blood.

Nick
Just a thought....

I do not think you are allowed to trade a draft pick for a coach since Gruden and Raiders. I could be wrong but I know they did something with it.

G_Money
holy crapjackers batman!

~G

SR
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Here's my take. I've made this comparison before and some may have seen it. Some probably don't agree, but it's my take.

A few years ago the Avalanche fired Bob Hartley. Bob Hartley coached the Avalanche to two Stanley Cup championships and some of the biggest, most memorable games in recent history (Avs/Wings playoff games...cool people remember). A couple years after that, the Avs weren't doing too hot and the players quit responding to Hartley, so they fired him and promoted Tony Granato from assistant to interim HC until the offseason when they hired Joel Quenville (prior to the lockout year).

I compare this to what is happening/happened with Shanahan and the Broncos. People just quit responding to him. His message isn't getting through to our players anymore. His schemes might be obscelete. It's time for a change. It doesn't take anything away from Shanahan or his GREAT run with the Broncos. He is a Hall of Fame coach. He won two Super Bowls for our team. I was in favor of firing him. I wanted him to get fired; not because I don't like him or don't respect him, but because I think it's time for a change.

It will be wierd to see a different brand of football in Denver. But, it might not be a bad thing. Actually, it's probably a good thing. Change is good.

gnomeflinger
12-30-2008, 06:34 PM
holy crapjackers batman!

~G

Is that your official comment?

*sticks mic in face*

Medford Bronco
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
holy crapjackers batman!

~G

I saw G Money on the screen and was expecting this long post on the analysis of the situation and get this:lol:

I am stunned a bit myself but am one of the few that is glad that Bowlen wanted some accountablity over what happend this year and since Nov 2006

Medford Bronco
12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Here's my take. I've made this comparison before and some may have seen it. Some probably don't agree, but it's my take.

A few years ago the Avalanche fired Bob Hartley. Bob Hartley coached the Avalanche to two Stanley Cup championships and some of the biggest, most memorable games in recent history (Avs/Wings playoff games...cool people remember). A couple years after that, the Avs weren't doing too hot and the players quit responding to Hartley, so they fired him and promoted Tony Granato from assistant to interim HC until the offseason when they hired Joel Quenville (prior to the lockout year).

I compare this to what is happening/happened with Shanahan and the Broncos. People just quit responding to him. His message isn't getting through to our players anymore. His schemes might be obscelete. It's time for a change. It doesn't take anything away from Shanahan or his GREAT run with the Broncos. He is a Hall of Fame coach. He won two Super Bowls for our team. I was in favor of firing him. I wanted him to get fired; not because I don't like him or don't respect him, but because I think it's time for a change.

It will be wierd to see a different brand of football in Denver. But, it might not be a bad thing. Actually, it's probably a good thing. Change is good.

Great post SR and I agree wholeheartedly with that :salute:

gnomeflinger
I would like to apologize for my lack of football knowledge. I'm still a newbie in football talk. I will have Mr. GF read this thread and let him post his thoughts. I have learned a lot this year, from all you peeps, but I'm still football stupid. At least the food is good. :lol:

Northman

Unless your the Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, or Cinncinati Bengals. :lol:

topscribe
Frankly, i would rather go with some new blood.

I doubt that would happen with Kubes, but my heart would go pitty-pat, were
it to happen. No one, but no one, is better with a QB than he, so he would be
just what the doctor ordered (I'm just full of clichés) for Cutler.

And look at the D-line he has amassed. :shocked:

Too bad it won't, in my mind . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
If we trade a pick for rights to a coach, we deserve to suck for eternity. If that's the case, I am getting a tear drop.

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Well the avs have kinda sucked since then so I don't know if that's the best comparison.

Medford Bronco
If we trade a pick for rights to a coach, we deserve to suck for eternity. If that's the case, I am getting a tear drop.

NE did it and won 3 Super Bowls. It can be done for the right guy

topscribe
holy crapjackers batman!

~G

I knew you would show up with a strong intellectual argument, G! :lol:

-----

elsid13
12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Just a thought....

you can not give up draft picks for coaches anymore. The NFL stopped that after Gruden OAK/TB trade.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
OK...time to make this about me:

What the hell is it w/ my teams and coaches this year? First, Willie Randolph. Needed to be done, but still a big decision. Then Phil Fulmer. I mean WOW. The only bigger shock would be if Mike Shan...ummm, nevermind. If this takes nearly as long as the Lane Kiffin hiring did in Tennessee, expect some crazy ass theories/ideas over the next 4 weeks. Should be a fun ride.

LoyalSoldier
12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
If we get a good coach to replace him I won't mind, but if we get a craptacular coach then I will be incredibly mad.

weazel
wow

smith49
Great post SR and I agree wholeheartedly with that :salute:

me two, or three, or four..............i cant keep up with this thread, wow.

Mike
12-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I expected a Rick roll when I saw this thread title, FTR. Still shocked.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I doubt that would happen with Kubes, but my heart would go pitty-pat, were
it to happen. No one, but no one, is better with a QB than he, so he would be
just what the doctor ordered (I'm just full of clichés) for Cutler.

And look at the D-line he has amassed. :shocked:

Too bad it won't, in my mind . . .

-----

But he did it w/ the #1 pick and a few more top 10s. I don't wanna be in that position.

nmbroncosfan
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Well if Tony Dungy retires the Colts would be a great fit for Shanny

Nomad
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks to coach for some good years here! But SR is right change may be the best thing for the BRONCOS. The meltdown at the end of this season shows that no matter who you are, you'll get fired!

Hopefully the next coach will be able to beat Rivers and co

elsid13
12-30-2008, 06:42 PM

They already hired Dungy replacement from in house.

NameUsedBefore
12-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Very bad decision, IMO.

A better idea would have been to get Shanahan to relinquish some of his control. If that couldn't have been done and Shanahan had to leave because of it, then okay. But we wont be a better team with someone else, that is pretty much guaranteed.

scott.475
Wow, I expected this might happen next year if things did not really change, but did not at all expect it this soon.

I hope he just retires. I love Mike and think he is a high character, good guy, and I do not want to have to root against him.

tomjonesrocks
I expected a Rick roll when I saw this thread title, FTR. Still shocked.

I was dying to use this :ban: emoticon for the poster when I saw this...and then the thread ends up being legit. I'm just incredibly shocked.

I don't see how this year was Shanahan's fault--and in fact I thought he did a great job. There must be something personal going on behind the scenes. So many teams have a revolving door at HC--I hope the Broncos don't turn into one.

Northman
12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks to coach for some good years here! But SR is right change may be the best thing for the BRONCOS. The meltdown at the end of this season shows that no matter who you are, you'll get fired!

Hopefully the next coach will be able to beat Rivers and co

Funny you mention that.

Some of the Charger faithful are wanting Shanny to come there.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=63640&page=20

sneakers
12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Does this mean slowick is the head coach now?

JKcatch724
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
I just hope to God we don't promote someone from within.

MileHighWrath
12-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Does this mean slowick is the head coach now?

P. Bowlen: "... and take the POS Slowik with you!"

sneakers
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
I just hope to God we don't promote someone from within.

I seriously doubt it.

elsid13
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Very bad decision, IMO.

A better idea would have been to get Shanahan to relinquish some of his control. If that couldn't have been done and Shanahan had to leave because of it, then okay. But we wont be a better team with someone else, that is pretty much guaranteed.

TD stated it correctly that there was no way that would have worked in Denver. Shanahan was to much a force within the organization that anyone brought in would have been handicapped

Gamechanger
12-30-2008, 06:47 PM

:tsk: We got someone already in-waiting (Jim Caldwell)

it would be a nice fit however

Polian AND Shanny? god I'd have a boner!!!!!

lewik
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
God, a really putrid thought just hit me: What if KC nabbs him? :eek: