PDA

View Full Version : HDTV advice?

honz
12-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Okay, so I am looking into buying my first HDTV and I was hoping some more technologically advanced Bronco fans could give me some advice. I have been looking at Vizio TV's since they are supposedly the best bang for your buck, but I am open to suggestions. I'm looking for probably a 32 or 37 incher and I am on a fairly tight budget.

I really don't know much about TVs, so any info on the differences between LCD and Plasmas, 1080i and 1080p (and others), and different brands would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

BeefStew25
12-30-2008, 12:04 AM
1080p
120mhz
LCD

Samsung if you can.

Tned
12-30-2008, 12:12 AM
I agree about Samsung. They are a great price/performance player. If it doesn't have to be a flat screen, I would recommend the thin Samsung DLP rear projection units, as they are the only ones with zero burn in.

The burn in issue is primarily an issue if you choose to watch standard def material in their original 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars on the side, vs. stretching them or zooming to fill the screen. I watch with black sidebars, so will only buy DLP to avoid burn in.

SR
12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
If you're looking for "bang for your buck" get a DLP. My Samsung is a 120hz, 1080p, 50" DLP and I paid $1000 for it. It was marked down. It's got three HDMI inputs, two optical audio inputs, a PC input, plus plenty of the normal RCA and RBG hookups. The picture is better than a 120hz 1080p LCD. I compared mine with a Sony Bravia with the same specs just hooked up to Direct TV and the picture on the DLP was better. As far as 1080i vs 1080p goes; P is always better than I. They stand for progressive scan or interlaced. It's just the way the screen refreshes. A TV with 1080i has almost the same picture resolution/quality as a TV that is 720p. Don't even waste your money on a TV that's less than 1080p because you'll regret it as soon as you see a TV that is 1080p hooked up to a BluRay.

As far as brands go, almost anything Jap is better than anything Korean or American. If you're going to go with an LCD, Sharp makes the best LCDs on the market, probably followed by Sony, Samsung, and LG. Some other companies out there make a good product as well, like Phillips and Panasonic, but I would rather pay a couple hundred more bucks for a much better TV.

I'm bias toward DLP. They're cheaper and better quality. If you decide to go with a DLP, I'd shy away from Mitsubishi. My dad has a two year old Mitsu 1080p and he's had to change the bulb three times and his fan has problems. But the picture on his Mitsu isn't as good as my Samsung because his is 60hz and mine is 120hz. Mine is also brand new.

If you really want to do some research and get the facts for yourself, go to www.avsforums.com and read some of the stuff there. Avs=audio video science. Great site.

Tned
12-30-2008, 12:34 AM
For the record, TV panels are only made in 720P or 1080P, no panel or DLP chip is 1080i. However, some TV's, especially older TV's might only support 1080i, and then would up convert it to 1080P.

I think these days most, if not all, 1080 TV's will support 1080P inputs, and all 1080 TVs will have 1080P panels for display.

As SR says, avsforum is the premier site for Home theater help.

Broncos Mtnman
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
If you're looking for "bang for your buck" get a DLP. My Samsung is a 120hz, 1080p, 50" DLP and I paid $1000 for it. It was marked down. It's got three HDMI inputs, two optical audio inputs, a PC input, plus plenty of the normal RCA and RBG hookups. The picture is better than a 120hz 1080p LCD. I compared mine with a Sony Bravia with the same specs just hooked up to Direct TV and the picture on the DLP was better. As far as 1080i vs 1080p goes; P is always better than I. They stand for progressive scan or interlaced. It's just the way the screen refreshes. A TV with 1080i has almost the same picture resolution/quality as a TV that is 720p. Don't even waste your money on a TV that's less than 1080p because you'll regret it as soon as you see a TV that is 1080p hooked up to a BluRay.

As far as brands go, almost anything Jap is better than anything Korean or American. If you're going to go with an LCD, Sharp makes the best LCDs on the market, probably followed by Sony, Samsung, and LG. Some other companies out there make a good product as well, like Phillips and Panasonic, but I would rather pay a couple hundred more bucks for a much better TV.

I'm bias toward DLP. They're cheaper and better quality. If you decide to go with a DLP, I'd shy away from Mitsubishi. My dad has a two year old Mitsu 1080p and he's had to change the bulb three times and his fan has problems. But the picture on his Mitsu isn't as good as my Samsung because his is 60hz and mine is 120hz. Mine is also brand new.

If you really want to do some research and get the facts for yourself, go to www.avsforums.com and read some of the stuff there. Avs=audio video science. Great site.

I concur on the DLP. I got an RCA from QVC for about $1100. It's 50" like yours, has all the other stuff too.

gnomeflinger
01-02-2009, 12:30 AM
If it's too small, that defeats the purpose of a large screen. If it's too big, it seems like more things can go on the fritz.

Magnificent Seven
01-02-2009, 12:58 AM
DEFINITELY SAMSUNG 1080 P PROJECTION!!! I am happy with it and it is amazing! Samsung have smooth glass screen. JVC's screen is little sandy and you can see a million tiny dots on the screen.