PDA

View Full Version : players to add this offseason

broken12
12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
greg ellis wants out of dallas so does zach thomas, that would bring some leadership to the defense ellis is great, he would compliment dumerville now zach thomas could bring some great middle linebacker play for this defense and help some of these younger guys out. tank johnson wants out in dallas also

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I really don't think Shanny is going to go the big name free agent route this offseason. With the good play from recent draftees, I figure he will stick more to that than the splash in free agency.

spikerman
12-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I would love for him to take a shot at Bart Scott. IMO, he's a very solid OLB. A good replacement for Bailey, maybe?

weazel
12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I really don't think Shanny is going to go the big name free agent route this offseason. With the good play from recent draftees, I figure he will stick more to that than the splash in free agency.

plus signing big name free agents takes money.

oh, and the fact that the players have to WANT to play for your team. For some reason, Denver has to overpay when trying to get free agents. Denver isn't a dream spot for players for some reason.

spikerman
12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
plus signing big name free agents takes money.

oh, and the fact that the players have to WANT to play for your team. For some reason, Denver has to overpay when trying to get free agents. Denver isn't a dream spot for players for some reason.
Would you want to be associated with this defense? :D

Magnificent Seven
12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
I would love for him to take a shot at Bart Scott. IMO, he's a very solid OLB. A good replacement for Bailey, maybe?

If they decided to release Boss Bailey, then Champ Bailey would be bitch about it and he would want out, too. Drama, Drama, and Drama.

spikerman
12-29-2008, 08:44 PM
If they decided to release Boss Bailey, then Champ Bailey would be bitch about it and he would want out, too. Drama, Drama, and Drama.
No problem. Let's hear the offers.

weazel
12-29-2008, 08:44 PM

would that be so bad? Get something of value in return for him and I wouldn't mind. I'm not taking shots at Bailey, I just think that he is wasted here

Slick
12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd throw whatever it took to get Suggs out of Baltimore. I also wouldn't be opposed to us seeing what it took to get an unhappy Larry Johnson away from the Cheifs. I wouldn't over pursue Johnson, but I'd at lease make an inquiry.

I think BTB's post is on point though. We'll do it through the draft and slightly improve. This team won't contend for at least another season IMO.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Agreed. If we can get someone to offer us a first round pick for Champ, I'd be all over that like a fat kid in a candy shop.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I'd throw whatever it took to get Suggs out of Baltimore. I also wouldn't be opposed to us seeing what it took to get an unhappy Larry Johnson away from the Cheifs. I wouldn't over pursue Johnson, but I'd at lease make an inquiry.

I think BTB's post is on point though. We'll do it through the draft and slightly improve. This team won't contend for at least another season IMO.

If we did go the FA RB route, I think McAllister is available this offseason (but I could be wrong). I'd go after him before LJ.

Slick
12-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Champ has never shown signs of this. I disagree. Boss shouldn't have been here in the first place. We tried to be cheap last offseason and how did that work out for us?

Tned
12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
If we did go the FA RB route, I think McAllister is available this offseason (but I could be wrong). I'd go after him before LJ.

He's likely going to mis a quarter of the season unless he somehow wins his court case.

Slick
12-29-2008, 08:50 PM

I'd be more than okay with that. I don't think it would hurt to go that route plus snag another in the draft.

Tned
12-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Champ has never shown signs of this. I disagree. Boss shouldn't have been here in the first place. We tried to be cheap last offseason and how did that work out for us?

Manuel, McCree, Webster and Bailey. Not exactly a murderers row.

jrelway
12-29-2008, 08:51 PM
we need to conserve cap space to sign our young guys..cutler , marshall, clady, royal..bringing in high priced FA's hasnt worked for us. rebuild through the draft..its cheaper and safer.

ikillz0mbies
12-29-2008, 08:53 PM
In regards to Champ bitching if his brother were to be let go, I don't think he will. He understands that it's a business and that the team is making a decision based on what's good for the team.

And I'm totally on board on getting Bart Scott :D

spikerman
12-29-2008, 08:54 PM
we need to conserve cap space to sign our young guys..cutler , marshall, clady, royal..bringing in high priced FA's hasnt worked for us. rebuild through the draft..its cheaper and safer.The problem is that there are so many weaknesses on Denver that by the time they build it through the draft, the offensive stars will be aging or moving on to other teams.

jrelway
12-29-2008, 08:56 PM
The problem is that there are so many weaknesses on Denver that by the time they build it through the draft, the offensive stars will be aging or moving on to other teams.

if we fill in all these weaknesses through free agency...we'd be broke. no space.

broken12
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
well lj would be a good sign if we dont have to give up too much for him, also dont be suprised to see bly back, shefter on 850koa said that he restructured his contract this season so that denver could save some cashola, suggs and ellis are basically the same guy ellis just older so for the right price yeah. i really think we need a big as$ dt, to collapse the middle of the pocket too that way qbs cant step up when the ends are coming around.

spikerman
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
if we fill in all these weaknesses through free agency...we'd be broke. no space.They don't need to fill them all through free agency, but a couple of key areas would be nice.

jrelway
12-29-2008, 08:58 PM
They don't need to fill them all through free agency, but a couple of key areas would be nice.

whatever does the trick..im all for it.

Slick
12-29-2008, 08:59 PM
we need to conserve cap space to sign our young guys..cutler , marshall, clady, royal..bringing in high priced FA's hasnt worked for us. rebuild through the draft..its cheaper and safer.

You better be prepared to be patient then.

I'm not too worried about signing Clady or Royal at the moment. It's only year one.

Cutler and Marshall, yes please...Doom, I'm on the fence, leaning towards letting him walk.

broken12
12-29-2008, 09:04 PM
one two vets through fa would be good for the team as a whole. we are lacking some leadership especially on defense, if i had a dollar for everytime i see champ and bly slapping there hands after passes are completed on them i could have gotten my son a wii for christmas lol. suggs would be great for us, he would fill the strong side linebacker spot and we could put him in three point stance on passing situation so really getting two spots with one signing, also wouldnt mind seeing the free safety from the rams and start grooming barret as the strong, hes got the size and speed to limit tight ends in the passing game, move dj back to the middle and let woodyard compete for wlb

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 09:05 PM
He's likely going to mis a quarter of the season unless he somehow wins his court case.

Good point. I wouldn't really seriously consider bringing him in unless he came cheap, but he would be worth a look at least.

And who knows, Shanny has a pretty good track record of helping guys get suspensions reversed/reduced! :D (Henry, Marshall)

ikillz0mbies
12-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Since I don't have a clue on who's a free agent this coming off season, I'd like to hear some of peoples suggestions on who the Broncos should add.

Magnificent Seven
12-29-2008, 09:11 PM
DeMarcus Ware!!!!

broken12
12-29-2008, 09:13 PM
demarcus ware!!!!

in our dreams@!

SmilinAssasSin27
12-29-2008, 09:41 PM
McAllister? LJ? Ellis? Zach Thomas? I thought we wanted to get better?

Let's please avoid the washed up/aging vets please. Look at what parcells did the minute he got to Miami. He traded for/signed talented, youthful D-linemen and got rid of an aging, expensive DE who just so happened to be the DPOY. We need to keep up w/ the youth movement, but adding a younger vet could help. It has to be a vet who can be here for 5+ years.

Superchop 7
12-29-2008, 09:43 PM
To me....it's simple.

1) Open the checkbook for a stud d-lineman.

2) Draft Curry, whatever it takes.

3) Move WW to SS.

4) Draft Delmas for FS.

5) Make Larsen the MLB.

All of it is do-able.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-29-2008, 09:45 PM
The problem is that there are so many weaknesses on Denver that by the time they build it through the draft, the offensive stars will be aging or moving on to other teams.

Our offensive stars are all within the first 4 years of their careers.

Cutty
Scheff
BMarsh
Royal
Harris
Kuper
Clady

I hardly think that'll be a problem.

ikillz0mbies
12-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I know you're a huge Curry supporter, but do you think he will be there at 12? I see mocks that have him going higher.

lex
12-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Since I don't have a clue on who's a free agent this coming off season, I'd like to hear some of peoples suggestions on who the Broncos should add.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&yr=2009&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=65

Youre welcome.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Some names that should be affordable and can help instantly include:

Derrick Ward, RB, NY Giants
Chris Canty, DE, Dallas
Mike Peterson, MLB, Jacksonville
Michael Boley, OLB, Atlanta
Channing Crowder, MLB, Miami
Oshiomogho Atogwe, S, St. Louis

All are in or around their 4th year in the league. Old enough to "get it" and young enough to be a long term addition.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I also like, OLB, Leroy Hill of Seattle.

weazel
12-29-2008, 09:58 PM
To me....it's simple.

1) Open the checkbook for a stud d-lineman.

2) Draft Curry, whatever it takes.

3) Move WW to SS.

4) Draft Delmas for FS.

5) Make Larsen the MLB.

All of it is do-able.

might as well engrave the lombardi! :rolleyes:

SmilinAssasSin27
12-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Curry is a stud, but to lock in on him would be dumb. No sense in moving up w/ so many solid LBs this year. I think we could get almost as good a player in Cushing while trading back to get another early pick. JMHO. How sweet would it be if we could make a deal w/ Detroit for their #19 and #33 and end up w/ Cushing AND Tyson Jackson? I'd wet myself.

Superchop 7
12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
might as well engrave the lombardi! :rolleyes:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Tell me YOUR plan ???

Oh wait, you don't have one.

Superchop 7
12-29-2008, 10:58 PM
You guys do not understand how good Curry is.

His hand strength is phenominal,

He can shed any blocker.

I don't want to settle for mediocre.

This guy is the real deal.

weazel
12-29-2008, 11:10 PM
__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Tell me YOUR plan ???

Oh wait, you don't have one.

well it wouldnt start by blatantly cheering when the Broncos lose and blindly saying that we now have Curry, we now have Curry!!! A player that wont be available at the pick Denver has.

those 5 fabulous points to your "plan" wouldnt change much of the problems this team had, BTW.

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 09:56 AM
The guy is a stud but Curry won't be there at 12.

Even if we are able to draft a MLB this year, I'd like to bring Mike Peterson in from Jax. He brings the attitude and leadership we desperatly need on D.

Northman
12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
The guy is a stud but Curry won't be there at 12.

Even if we are able to draft a MLB this year, I'd like to bring Mike Peterson in from Jax. He brings the attitude and leadership we desperatly need on D.

Exactly. I know Blah will have a meltdown when he isnt taken but there is no way that guy is dropping to us. And there isnt any likelihood that we will give up the farm to move up for him. Too many holes to fill and as someone said no reason to key on one guy at that position. There are other LB's who are just as good and would be solid for us. As for FA's i would love to get Canty, Suggs, or Peppers. But Canty seems like the biggest possibility.

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 10:16 AM
One thing that scares me is S Roy Williams being available from Dallas. We should avoid him like the plague. My best friend is a Dallas friend and we get together to watch each others games every Sunday. Roy Williams sucks. Excellent run stopping but god awful at defending the pass.

Northman
12-30-2008, 10:20 AM
One thing that scares me is S Roy Williams being available from Dallas. We should avoid him like the plague. My best friend is a Dallas friend and we get together to watch each others games every Sunday. Roy Williams sucks. Excellent run stopping but god awful at defending the pass.

Yea, never been a big fan of his. He sure loves that horse collar tackle though. :lol:

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Looks like AH might be off of the market for next season...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ten) are now able to talk contract with Albert Haynesworth (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3543), their Pro Bowl defensive tackle who played this season as the team's designated franchise player.
The rules of the tag prohibit a team from negotiating with the player on a long-term deal until the regular season is complete.
Haynesworth's agent, Chad Speck, said via e-mail that he fielded a call from Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt on Monday.
"Mike called me today and expressed the Titans' interest to begin negotiations on a long-term deal for Albert," Speck wrote. "We had a preliminary discussion and our talks are in the very early stages. It is my intent to keep any future conversations I have with the Titans regarding Albert's contract private for the time being. I would echo coach [Jeff] Fisher's comments by saying that Albert is focused on getting his knee healthy and continuing his dominating play in the playoffs."
Haynesworth signed the $7.25 million tender deal in July after he and the team agreed on incentives that provided five different avenues for him to ensure the team could not tag him a second time. If Haynesworth met just one, he'd be cleared to become an unrestricted free agent on Feb. 27.
Haynesworth, who missed the last two regular-season games with a sprained knee but is expected back for the team's Jan. 10 playoff game, was named to the AFC Pro Bowl roster on Dec. 16. That was one of the incentives and made it official that he could not be tagged again in 2009.
The Titans now have an exclusive negotiating window of a little more than two months. Haynesworth could be in line to become the highest-paid defensive player in the league.
"Clearly we've expressed a great deal of interest, as he has, in working things out," Fisher said. "We'll move forward, but the most important thing right now is the playoffs and getting him ready. Getting him back on the practice field, getting him ready to play at the level he was before he got hurt."
Paul Kuharsky covers the AFC South for ESPN.com.

spikerman
12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Our offensive stars are all within the first 4 years of their careers.

Cutty
Scheff
BMarsh
Royal
Harris
Kuper
Clady

I hardly think that'll be a problem.
Yes, but according to the NFL Players Association, "The average length of an NFL career is about 3 and a half seasons". http://www.nflplayers.com/user/template.aspx?fmid=181&lmid=349&pid=0&type=l

That doesn't include the fact that more than likely a few of these guys will sign with other teams. The window for success in the NFL is VERY short and this is a big reason why.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Worthless stat. That average includes a LOT of players who barely makes teams and play for only a few weeks or, at most, 1 season. They kinda mess up the curve. There are thousands more guys who play 1 year than play over 10. I think the list I gave has plenty of people who will pass the "3.5 year average".