PDA

View Full Version : Tater Did The Job

topscribe
12-29-2008, 07:06 PM
I have disparaged Tatum Bell almost since the Broncos drafted him in 2006. So
I have been no fan of his.

However, listening to his new-found humility in interviews since they re-signed
him this season and to his former employer when he was, yes, managing a cell
phone kiosk, I began to view him more favorably . . . as a person.

But from visions of his going down on the field from a hard stare (as JR once
put it) and almost absolute inability to run between the tackles, I held little
hope that he would do much for the team.

Well, in San Diego, Tater came alive. He ran hard and with POWER. One could
hear the collisions as he plowed into defenders . . . and he BROKE TACKLES! :eek:
Yes, he wasn't quite as fast as he was before, but he showed he was still fast
enough.

I thought for a long time that Tater's problems existed between his ears. Well,
maybe he finally has that solved in that area because he certainly has the
physical talent to do some damage at RB.

We'll see about that next year, of course. But I'm looking forward to that next
year to see if he takes that heart, desire, and toughness with him. He did all
this with no training camp . . . coming in, out of football shape, and just
gritting it out. I want to see what he will do after OTAs and TC conditioning
and preparation.

I'm sure I'll get some naysayers to this, but this is what I see now, as one
who formerly threw Tater under the bus . . .

-----

lex
12-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I was pleased for him. He was one of the few people who showed up to play last night. And especially after what had to be a rough season.

WARHORSE
12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Tatum ran well cause they ran him off tackle.

Ive been saying it since forever, the guy can run there if theres daylight.

Up the middle.......He sucks. He does not know how to set defenders up.

But I too love his humility and genuiness.

He won me over with is first interview back in the lockeroom. Very honest, and willing to say he was a cell-phone salesman, and GREATFUL for the job.

I hope for good things for Tatum. I hope he finds a spot on the team.

BigDaddyBronco
12-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Tater over Selvin Young?

No doubt.

But I would let them all fight it out in training camp for spots. One thing I have to wonder, with all of the rookies and undrafted FA's playing better than some of the starters when they got a chance to play (Woodyard, Larsen, Barrett), has the Broncos brass lost the ability to judge game-time talent vs. practice-talent?

girler
12-29-2008, 07:15 PM
I agree Top. When they had the offense introduce themselves and say their alma mater's I was all "What did he say? Did he say 'Tatum Bell, Aurora Mall?' :laugh:" But then like you said, he played hard. He ran. He scored. He blocked. :salute: To Tatum Bell.

Tned
12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Nice post, Top.

I didn't always share the opinion of others on Tatum's inability to run between the tackles, because during his time our line was in transition and weren't opening up the holes that our one cut and go runners needed. As we were never a power running team (backs or blocking style), our running success was predicated on our line moving defenders sideways, rather than backwards. When they failed to do that, by the time a runner took a hand off, he just ran into the butts of the linemen in front of him.

This year toward the middle of the season, they got back to opening holes, but by then our backs were gone. It was interesting when Shanahan said they actually changed their blocking style with Hillis back there to a more power-running, forward moving blocking style to suit his north/south running.

Anyway, back to Tatum. I think he did an extremely commendable job. Considering the five or six guys on IR that will be in front of him on the depth chart if they come back healthy, I doubt he is on the team next year, but this might have given him a chance to start over. At least in a backup role.

One quote I saw from him where he talked about taking football for granted and always thinking it would be there, makes it clear that he now values the opportunity to play in the NFL, which very few people every actually get.

muse
12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I was never a big fan of Tatum, but I think that he's got an excellent shot of making the team next year if he keeps things up. I'm happy for him that he's managed to turn himself around.

Northman
12-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Im happy for him. Do i think he could be an answer for us there? Dont know. But the kid is trying and he definitely came to play last night. Maybe with Hillis back they may be a tandem i guess we will see. I still love his 5 yard run a few years ago with Ray Lewis on his back. Oh, the good ol' days. lol

G_Money
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Tatum is not the answer at RB.

Tatum definitely kicks Selvin Young out of the resident "Speedy outside guy who can't run inside to save his life" spot.

I fire Young tomorrow and keep Bell for camp. He can be my 4th RB, no problem. We know exactly what he can and can't do, and he knows this is it for his football career. He'll give it everything he has.

Can't ask for more than that. I might wish he was a different runner, but I will take what he is and be satisfied, as like as it's the right role.

~G

broken12
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
he did well i think him and aldridge will be good change of pace backs, i really would like to see hillis back at full back and bring in another tough back like him to play hb, and have them both in the backfield at times and motioin one out to get that 8th man out the box and open the running game more! but i do feel taco bell deserves a shot to lmake the team, he ran hard yesterday and is tougher than young and hall

JONtheBRONCO
12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Agreed. Not the permanent guy, but I'd love to keep him as the 3rd guy.

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I remember Tatum fondly for singlehandedly beating the Skins in '05 - in fact his whole first half of '05 was truly amazing. I'm glad to see he got a shot, and even more glad he played his arse off for us. As I already think he has plenty of raw talent maybe he is ready to become what he once was, only better. We'll see. If he does work out its like finding money in your pants pocket after laundry.

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 07:34 PM
He may well be the MVP from last night. One question is didn't both runs come from the shotgun formation with the defense expecting pass? Some of this was smoke, mirrors and trickery. Line up under center and those plays could have turned out dismal.

He looked good though. They were powerful runs and he hasn't fumbled. He has a chance next year.

jrelway
12-29-2008, 08:19 PM
i still dont know what mike shanahan saw in selvin young.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Tatum after the game last night:

http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=51058@kcnc.dayport.com

WARHORSE
12-29-2008, 08:30 PM
i still dont know what mike shanahan saw in selvin young.

The rest of the RBs on the roster last year were:

Travis Henry
Mike Bell
Cecil Sapp
Andre Hall
Paul Smith

Thats how Selvin got the gig.

ikillz0mbies
12-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I thought Bell played really hard last night. At least he didn't go down as easy as Selvin Young. I wouldn't mind bringing him back next season, just not as a starter.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 09:04 PM
I thought Bell played really hard last night. At least he didn't go down as easy as Selvin Young. I wouldn't mind bringing him back next season, just not as a starter.

Why don't we wait until next season for them to make that determination? Bell
played like a starter last night. I would say 10 YPC and two long TDs are
enough to make me hesitate in saying that I don't want him to start . . .

-----

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Why don't we wait until next season for them to make that determination? Bell
played like a starter last night. I would say 10 YPC and two long TDs are
enough to make me hesitate in saying that I don't want him to start . . .

-----

Agreed - the best thing we saw from Tatum was a decisive recognition of a hole and quick burst through it off of a single cut - plus a fair turn of speed. He won't break a ton of tackles like Hillis but he knows how to really exploit good blocking when he is at his best. Since I think our O-line has started to run block better over the course of the season he may be a good fit here once again.

I do think he works best with 40% of the carries or so. He is not built to be a 20-25 carry a game back, and it doesn't suit his style

Bill Devaroe
12-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Tatum bell is horrible. Back to the mall with you loser.

Worst broncos quotes of all time

1. Tatum Bell " I would like to wear the #7"
2. Selvin Young " I want to get 2000 yards"
3. Daryl Gardener "Jake needs to take care of the offense, and I will take care of the defense."

Start over.
Everyone on D should be looked at for replacement. Even Champ and DJ. D line pressure is king.
Our D Line, linebackers, and safties are garbage.

Oh and Dre' Bly sucks.

OUT!!

Superchop 7
12-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Tatum did a nice job.

Gave it his best.

For coming in off the street.....I tip my cap.

No fumbles, no regrets.

Congrats Tatum, you have my respect.

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I only slpped to high fives in the San Diego game and both were because of Taters scores. I say his effort in the San Diego game merits a chance to compete for a roster position next year. I don't think he is a starter but I wouldn't mind having him on the bench just in case. He also sounds like a stand up guy and appreciates being here after being out of the league. He is hungry and eager to prove. I'll take that attitude any day.

LRtagger
12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
He may well be the MVP from last night. One question is didn't both runs come from the shotgun formation with the defense expecting pass? Some of this was smoke, mirrors and trickery. Line up under center and those plays could have turned out dismal.

What difference does it make? He made the right reads, cut through the right holes, and made enough guys miss to break off two long runs.

Thats like saying "Well if they didnt go play-action on that pass the guy wouldnt have been open for a big play".

Tater was a beast Sunday night. I wish we could have stopped SD enough to establish a running game. The only time we moved the ball successfully was when he gave Tatum some carries.

Dirk
12-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I will tip my hat to the kid, simply because he gave his all.

But it doesn't change the fact that he is NOT a good RB. Period. If he was, he wouldn't have been sent packing by Denver and Detroit. Nuff said...

But, I tip my hat for the effort.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 12:18 PM

But it doesn't change the fact that he is NOT a good RB. Period. If he was, he wouldn't have been sent packing by Denver and Detroit. Nuff said...

What you are doing here is translating the past into the present, as if a
person cannot work out his own problems and overcome it. So, while you are
doing that, I might suggest you tell Jim Plunkett, Rich Gannon, Kerry Collins,
and a host of others who starred after bad starts in the NFL.

I agree Tater had his problems. As I mentioned, I was one of his biggest
detractors. But, after his performance for the Broncos this year, I'm not
going to throw him under the bus because of what he once was, or wasn't.
Because if he can continue what he did Sunday evening, then he is a good
RB, whereas he once was not.

-----

Dreadnought
12-30-2008, 12:18 PM

He was traded by Denver, not "sent packing" exactly. As for Detroit? Their history of personnel decisions isn't all that hot. They would have done better with a Ouija board that with Matt Millen, so getting dumped by them may or may not mean anything.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I've been a fan of Tatum Bell (sans the luggage stealing incident) since his time at Oklahoma State. One of a handful I guess, but I always liked the guy, and what he did well. He can't do it all, but what he does well. . .well, he does it well.

I'm glad that at the worst, if he doesn't make the team next season that at least he's going out on a positive note.

Dirk
12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, of course people can overcome adversity. But come on now...this is Tater we are talking about.

2008 stats:

6 Games
44 Att with 249 yards
2 TDs (SD game Sunday)
Longest 37 yards (SD game Sunday)

So if you take away his 86 yards from Sunday and 8 attempts, he has 163 yards on 36 attempts in 5 games with 0 TDs.

Again, I tip my hat to him for bringing his A game because he doesn't want to go back to the Mall. I praise him for that. But it is still Tater...

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, of course people can overcome adversity. But come on now...this is Tater we are talking about.

2008 stats:

6 Games
44 Att with 249 yards
2 TDs (SD game Sunday)

So if you take away his 86 yards from Sunday and 8 attempts, he has 163 yards on 36 attempts in 5 games with 0 TDs.

Again, I tip my hat to him for bringing his A game because he doesn't want to go back to the Mall. I praise him for that. But it is still Tater...

:eviltongue:

Dirk
12-30-2008, 01:08 PM
:eviltongue:

:D:D

LRtagger
12-30-2008, 01:12 PM

2008 stats:

6 Games
44 Att with 249 yards
2 TDs (SD game Sunday)

That is 4.5 YPC :confused:

Pretty good for a guy who literally came off the street and into the starting lineup.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 01:18 PM

2008 stats:

6 Games
44 Att with 249 yards
2 TDs (SD game Sunday)

If you take all Tater's carries away, then he never got a single yard.

What kind of logic is that? :loco:

*wow*

-----

Dirk
12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Ha!

You guys are basing it all off of one game and ready to send Selvin packing and his YPC is 5.0 this year. (I'm not a Selvin fan either)

I'm just saying, if Tater didn't play as hard as he had Sunday, nobody would be on his bandwagon.

Sorry, as you can tell, i'm just not a believer in this kid. Albeit he put his heart into the SD game.

pnbronco
12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Tater did a great job, esp when you consider no Training Camp and he could not have been in game shape when he started playing. He was grateful for having the chance, was humble when ever he talked and I think he played with a lot of heart. I for one am so glad he got the chance and has made the most of it.

Dirk
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Tater did a great job, esp when you consider no Training Camp and he could not have been in game shape when he started playing. He was grateful for having the chance, was humble when ever he talked and I think he played with a lot of heart. I for one am so glad he got the chance and has made the most of it.

I agree with you on all points. But I'm just saying let's not get carried away thinking he needs to come back next year. Unless of course we loose 6 RBs....

Denver Native (Carol)
12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Ha!

You guys are basing it all off of one game and ready to send Selvin packing and his YPC is 5.0 this year. (I'm not a Selvin fan either)

I'm just saying, if Tater didn't play as hard as he had Sunday, nobody would be on his bandwagon.

Sorry, as you can tell, i'm just not a believer in this kid. Albeit he put his heart into the SD game.

Wasn't this the only game since Tatum returned that he was the starter? If so, that would make a difference in why he got more yards in the SD game, than the other games.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Ha!

I don't know anybody who is a "believer" or who is willing to "send Selvin
packing" over this game. All I have seen is that he is worth taking a closer
look next year. All the rest of it, you have added.

But listen to yourself: "If Tater didn't play as hard as he had Sunday, nobody
would be on his bandwagon." Well, duhhh!!

First, you say, take away his long runs, and his performance is less impressive.
Then you say if he didn't play as hard as he did, we wouldn't appreciate it as
much. Wow. Take 50,000 yards off Elway's passing in his career, and he would
not be such a great quarterback . . . :look:

-----

topscribe
12-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Wasn't this the only game since Tatum returned that he was the starter? If so, that would make a difference in why he got more yards in the SD game, than the other games.

When Tater rejoined the Broncos, he had to hit the ground running, so to speak.
He had little time to learn what was new (which is a lot) since he was here
last and to get back into football shape . . . selling cell phones is not a
physically demanding occupation. This was the first game, it appears, that he
was anywhere near that. In fact, I don't see how he could have been all the
way there, which makes his performance even more impressive.

As I mentioned, I am eager to see what he will do when he is all the way
there next year . . .

-----

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Ha!

Bandwagon? For better or worse I'm probably the only guy not "jumping on" the bandwagon. . ..I never jumped off. It was a lonely ride, but I was the only one on it here for a loooooong time.

Granted, I did park said bandwagon in the garage when luggage-gate hit, but dusted it off as soon as we signed him. :lol:

LRtagger
12-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Point is...if Tater can bring to the team next year what he brought to the team Sunday night, there is no reason that he shouldnt be on the active roster. To already discount him because of past performances is stupid...especially considering where we are currently with our RB situation.

People are discouting Tater, but were praising Torain as the second coming. What exactly has Torain done to earn the starting nod next year?

IMO the more guys we have in camp the better chances we have at getting the best 4 guys on the roster. If Tater ends up being one of those 4 guys, then more power to him. He can run like he did Sunday night all 16 weeks next year and you will still find people on this board saying he is no good.

Dreadnought
12-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Its amazing. The guy has a lifetime 4.9 YPC average, even including a one year stint with Detroit at 4.1, and he is a stiff? Granted he has always been a "boom or bust" type of runner, but there is a place for a guy like that. A far as fumbling, he has all of ten fumbles in five years, half of them in 2006. That is within the realm of acceptable, frankly - and muchg better than a good number of better regarded RB's in the league on a per carry basis.