PDA

View Full Version : Cutler: We really can’t stop anybody, and that’s the bottom line.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Has this been posted?

I like it and hate it. Slowik has to go--if the players revolt and make it happen--so be it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

From Yahoo:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jay-Cutler-doesn-t-believe-in-the-Chargers-or-th?urn=nfl,131508

Jay Cutler doesn't believe in the Chargers or the Broncos defense

By MJD

Al Michaels and John Madden made note of Jay Cutler's free-flowing honesty last night during the broadcast of the Chargers/Broncos game. Cutler's got a knack for saying what's on his mind, unfiltered, to anyone at any time.

The following comes from Michael Silver's Morning Rush:

The San Diego Chargers had just won the AFC West title in resounding fashion, defeating the Broncos, 52-21, to earn the right to host the Indianapolis Colts in a first-round playoff game six days later, and Cutler stopped to answer an unambiguous question: Was it fair to conclude that the team he just played is for real?

“These guys?” the Pro Bowl quarterback asked, gesturing to the players celebrating behind him. “San Diego? No, I don’t think so. I think Indy’ll handle ‘em pretty good. We really can’t stop anybody, and that’s the bottom line.”

Geez. How bad must a man be beaten before the thought of humility enters his mind? Apparently, a 31-point mashing doesn't do the job.

Cutler trashing San Diego, I can understand, though. They're 8-8, they're an easy target, he doesn't like Philip Rivers, and losing makes him feel emotional and frowny. That part doesn't surprise or bother me.

But the "our defense can't stop anyone" is a pretty brave card for Cutler to be playing, is it not? Especially considering that Cutler himself had a one touchdown, two interception night. These were key interceptions, too, that cost the Broncos dearly.

Yes, it's true that the Broncos defense was and is awful, but it's not like Cutler was a worldbeater last night. Denver's average gain per pass play was 6.4 compared to San Diego's 9.2, and they held the ball for only 23 minutes of the game. This isn't a great San Diego defense that Denver played, either.

It might do Cutler some good to develop a little bit of a filter. So far, it looks like he's gotten away with saying he's got a better arm than John Elway and throwing his own defense under the bus, but sooner or later, it'll catch up with him.

Related: Philip Rivers, Jay Cutler, Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Good. I wish more people on the team would say it. Maybe the message would finally sink in to Shanny.

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Cutler simply spoke the truth. Anyone who watched that mess last night knows it as well.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Good. I wish more people on the team would say it. Maybe the message would finally sink in to Shanny.

As much as I hate Slowik and the D, I hardly think Shanny fails to realize the D sux. I don't see him saying..."WOW. Jay doesn't like the D. I actually thought they were pretty good. Perhaps I need to rethink my position."

jrelway
12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
we still wouldve lost even if we had those 2 INT's back that cutler threw. defense did it for us.

Slick
12-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Cutler simply spoke the truth. Anyone who watched that mess last night knows it as well.

I can handle the truth. Tom Cruise can't, and neither can Slowick, but I can.

I'd have fired Bob before we even got the plane warmed up.

"Find your own way home Bob, and don't come back." -Me

WARHORSE
12-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey, we cant stop anyone.

Its the truth.

So lets get some wood goin this offseason, and come back and terrorize this league.

Cutler has some growing to do. Hes just FEISTY is all.

He doesnt like losing.......period.

:coffee:Thats not a bad thing.

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I can handle the truth. Tom Cruise can't, and neither can Slowick, but I can.

I'd have fired Bob before we even got the plane warmed up.

"Find your own way home Bob, and don't come back." -Me

Would you at least give him $20 for cab fare? I'm not sure I feel charitable enough today to do that.

Slick
12-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Would you at least give him $20 for cab fare? I'm not sure I feel charitable enough today to do that.

Hell no.

JONtheBRONCO
12-29-2008, 07:22 PM
I love Cutler. He's not a little bitch. Finally an article with some "truth" and "honesty" behind it rather than one with a bunch of quotes filled with bullshit and "what we're SUPPOSED to say." Cutler wants to win, he's bitter, he holds a grudge, and he's hungry. Who can blame the guy? If the media, opposing teams, opposing fans, or anyone else views Cutler as the bad guy - then good, he plays that part well. Nor does he give a shit about what others think about him, nor do I - he wants to win and the kid can play.

I'm waiting for the offseason moves, the changes and the improvement. Cutler & Co. can only improve on offense, the sky is the limit for this young group of guys. We can only hope for the defense to follow.

Northman
12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Actually, this was done in very poor taste by Jay. Im severely disappointed. Sure, the defense stinks like all high hell but you dont call our your teammates pubically. Especially when you yourself are not perfect. I know he is frustrated but that was very uncool on his part. Hopefully it wont backfire on him down the road.

JONtheBRONCO
12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Actually, this was done in very poor taste by Jay. Im severely disappointed. Sure, the defense stinks like all high hell but you dont call our your teammates pubically. Especially when you yourself are not perfect. I know he is frustrated but that was very uncool on his part. Hopefully it wont backfire on him down the road.

Maybe in a way. But the truth is the truth. A guy like Jay is in more of a position to say something like this. After awhile - the excuses get old. Plus, he probably knew 80% of these guys won't be back next year.

Tned

Yes, shades of Peyton throwing his offensive line under the bus after Pitt beat them (I think it was Pitt).

There is a time and place and a way to say things.

As Al Michaels said last night, Shanahan is not happy and trying to work with Jay in regard to him having no filter when he speaks.

broken12
hes being honest, i like that he also said that the offense missed some chances, the int before half, dropped passes, penalties, and talked about how he had to take some chances due to the defecit they were in so he critisized all, went on to say today that everyone needs to take a step back and check out what needs to be done!!!

G_Money
12-29-2008, 07:28 PM

Since none of those defenders are gonna be back, it really doesn't matter. Still in bad form, tho. :tsk:

But seriously, how many Broncos have to say it?

Paymah questioned the D and got benched.

Ekuban ranted against it.

Champ is muttering. Bly too.

Marshall called it earlier in defense of Paymah.

And now Jay's saying it.

It may become too big of a locker room issue to keep Slowik.

I will pray daily that it is so.

~G

Tned
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Maybe in a way. But the truth is the truth. A guy like Jay is in more of a position to say something like this. After awhile - the excuses get old. Plus, he probably knew 80% of these guys won't be back next year.

Actually, 80% will be back, it is the 20% they change that hopefully will make the difference.

Regardless, there is a certain role that a team leader needs to play, and blaming team mates, or showing up his receivers on the field, isn't that role.

If he wants to say something, then say it TO his teamates in the locker room or on the plane.

Northman
12-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Sure, the truth is the truth. But as much grief as i gave Plummer he never threw his guys under the bus no matter if it was their fault or not. Jay has to learn you cant do that crap or you will lose respect in a hurry. Like i said, hopefully it wont backfire. Then again, maybe he wants out of Denver so maybe he is pushing buttons on purpose. Who knows.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 07:30 PM
So some of you would rather he lie? I respect a man who is honest. What's he supposed to do, worry about hurting someone's feelings? Sorry but if you let your feelings get hurt by comments by your QB then perhaps you should find a different profession.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 07:30 PM
I guess the author of the story (MJD, whoever that is) doesn't like honest
people? I have always admired brutally honest people. They're . . . well, honest.

Cutler threw a ringer. What more can one ask? The more I see of him, the
more I like him.

-----

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 07:31 PM
If he wants to say something, then say it TO his teamates in the locker room or on the plane.

How do you know that he hasn't been doing that? Maybe he has and the message never sunk in.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 07:32 PM

I tend to agree--EXCEPT that Shanahan has already had the audacity to say Slowik's job is safe. That is totally unacceptable.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Sure, the truth is the truth. But as much grief as i gave Plummer he never threw his guys under the bus no matter if it was their fault or not. Jay has to learn you cant do that crap or you will lose respect in a hurry. Like i said, hopefully it wont backfire. Then again, maybe he wants out of Denver so maybe he is pushing buttons on purpose. Who knows.

Well, all I can say is, the ones Jay threw under the bus know who they are.
And I don't expect them to be around next year, so what does it matter? :noidea:

-----

Slick
12-29-2008, 07:38 PM
These guys are PROFESSIONALS!!! If they can't handle being called out when they suck hind tit, they should find a new profession.

This PC world we now live in. Give me a freaking break.

I'm glad he said it, I hope he says it again. We want him to lead, but from behind closed doors?

I applaud him for having the stones.

GEM
12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
And Jay and the offense are great right? :confused: I'm amazed how the offense gets so much slack. Missed balls, overthrown balls, dropped balls, int's, fumbles. Jay would probably go ape shit if someone spoke about his INT's in the press.

His mouth keeps spoutting, but he isn't backing the bs coming out.

EVERYONE knows the D stinks. Calling them out in public isn't going to fix the scheme, the people who brought them in or the personnel.

I like honesty...but try to get above .500 before acting like you've proven something. As of right now...3 years and NO PLAYOFFS. Jay, you're just as much of a failure buddy.

Northman
12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Well, all I can say is, the ones Jay threw under the bus know who they are.
And I don't expect them to be around next year, so what does it matter? :noidea:

-----

Well, maybe they dont know who he is talking about. If i was a defender and i thought that Slowik was putting me in the wrong position to succeed i might take offense to what Jay said. I mean, Jay left a blanket statement that could mean anyone.

GEM
12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
The defense didn't stop anything, but I didn't see the offense score enough points to win the game. Just Sayin.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Well, maybe they dont know who he is talking about. If i was a defender and i thought that Slowik was putting me in the wrong position to succeed i might take offense to what Jay said. I mean, Jay left a blanket statement that could mean anyone.

Fine. Then leave that to them to figure out. Fact is, they couldn't stop anyone.

As Slick just said, they're professionals. If they can't take it, get out of the proverbial kitchen . . .

-----

Northman
12-29-2008, 07:43 PM
These guys are PROFESSIONALS!!! If they can't handle being called out when they suck hind tit, they should find a new profession.

This PC world we now live in. Give me a freaking break.

I'm glad he said it, I hope he says it again. We want him to lead, but from behind closed doors?

I applaud him for having the stones.

I dont know. Again i guess im just old school. Sure, i would get on a player in a game if i felt he didnt have his head in the game. But, growing up watching John and how he handled himself always left a positive impression on me that you dont air dirty laundry. I guess im the only one in this corner about respect for your teammates. Dunno

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
And Jay and the offense are great right? :confused: I'm amazed how the offense gets so much slack. Missed balls, overthrown balls, dropped balls, int's, fumbles. Jay would probably go ape shit if someone spoke about his INT's in the press.

EVERYONE knows the D stinks. Calling them out in public isn't going to fix the scheme, the people who brought them in or the personnel.

I like honesty...but try to get above .500 before acting like you've proven something. As of right now...3 years and NO PLAYOFFS. Jay, you're just as much of a failure buddy.

I'm with you. I don't recall Elway saying "We can't run the ball, that's the bottom line" or "our coaching staff can't call a game, that's the bottom line" all those years where he was shouldering the load.

At the same time, at this point, I don't care what classless acts take place if it results in Slowik being canned if he otherwise wouldn't have been.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM

So you're saying our offense should be expected to score on every single possession to make up for our shitty defense? That's realistic. :rolleyes:

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
The defense didn't stop anything, but I didn't see the offense score enough points to win the game. Just Sayin.

With all due respect, asking any offense to score 35+ points a game is asking too much.

The thing that pi$$es me off most.....

Shanahan states many times through the year, that Cutler needs to play smarter, and the offense needs to be more efficient. I have not heard him say one thing in criticism about the defense. The only comments he every says about the defense, "I thought they did a great job, and made plays a key points of the game to keep us in it".

Shanahan either completely neglects defense, or is just that stupid. Neither is good for the Denver Bronocs.

JONtheBRONCO
12-29-2008, 07:49 PM

How could Plummer throw anyone under the bus? Look at that team in 2005. If a 2nd year Jay Cutler is under center with that defense and run game, who knows what could've happened?

elsid13
12-29-2008, 07:52 PM

When SD had 36:07 of game time it hard for the offense to get on the field.

Northman
12-29-2008, 07:53 PM
How could Plummer throw anyone under the bus? Look at that team in 2005. If a 2nd year Jay Cutler is under center with that defense and run game, who knows what could've happened?

Agreed. I always thought Jake was the weak link but at the same time some people bought too much even into that defense that year. Case in point, the AFC Championship game. Jake definitely had his issues but so did the defense. Even aside from 05', the two years prior when we got our asses handed to us against the Colts. Those werent offensive issues in those games. Yet, Jake bit his lip and played the consumate teammate. Naturally, i expect that from a veteran and i hope that Jay can learn from this. But, it is a little baffling that people actually WANT Jay to call out teammates. I just cant get on board with that. Ever.

LawDog
12-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Jay said "we can't stop anybody". Who exactly did he throw under the bus? Did he call out a specific player? Did he call out Slowik? Nope, he simply described what is the truth about the 28th ranked defense in the league.

The defense is what caused the problems, not Jay. The pick in the endzone should not have happened, but we shoulda/coulda scored on the prior play. And the offense came out the next series and drove for the TD. The other pick was a fluke. 98 times out of 100 that batted ball hits the ground. Even though Tatum had a solid game, we were still one dimensional due to falling behind early. Everytime we gained some momentum by scoring, the defense rolled over. The scheme last night was just horrible. Champ is by no means back to full speed, yet he was in man coverage playing catch up on crossing routes and was not his usual effective self. That has been the problem all season - not playing to our strengths and not focusing on the fundamentals.

Jay simply stated the obvious. And it was nothing like Manning slamming his o-line like was mentioned above. The defense has been horrible all year it wasn't like they had a sudden meltdown last night. Add in a necessarily pass biased offense and there was no realistic way we were going to win that game.

As for the comment about the Colt's handling the chargers next week. I can't wait for Indy to complete the one-and-done that will bring san diego back to reality and wipe that stupid grin off river's face.

Right about now I hate the chargers way more than I ever hated the raiders and that is saying a lot, because I absolutely despise the raiders.

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I think it's one of those things that does not need to be said by a player. Everyone knows it, but the guys who need to be saying it are the coaches. It could fire up some folks, but it could also drive a wedge into the team. When coaches say it it's not so personal and brings a lot of authority with it.

honz
12-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Meh. We can't stop anybody and Cutler said it...so what?

Slick
12-29-2008, 08:06 PM
I dont know. Again i guess im just old school. Sure, i would get on a player in a game if i felt he didnt have his head in the game. But, growing up watching John and how he handled himself always left a positive impression on me that you dont air dirty laundry. I guess im the only one in this corner about respect for your teammates. Dunno

I don't see a whole lot on that defense that I respect to be honest. I loved John as much as the next guy, but it isn't 1985 anymore.

I'm sure things were said behind closed doors, and obviously nothing changed. The frustration finally just set in. Jay was asked to win every single game. It took an absolute miracle of a fourth quarter for us to beat the Browns for crying out loud.

Jay never said he was perfect. He missed some throws. He had some bad INT's. He isn't Michael Jordan and this isn't basketball. It takes 22 players to be successful.

Look, we're all disappointed. Some of us more so than others.

IMO Jay had a hell of a year. Maybe one of the best from a QB in Broncos history. If we can get him any semblance of a running game, and just a mediocre defense, we wouldn't have threads like these. We'd be talking about the Colts game, or what we're going to do over the bye weekend.

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
If he was so honest he might have mentioned the points the offense left on the field.

This offense is ranked 16th for points and 2nd in yards in the NFL. They are just middle of the road average at scoring and 8-8 in the standings. A 23.1 points per game average impresses no one. Our offense is just plain average.

Quit leaving points on the field and we'll quit getting blown out.

He should speak up to the whole team and not do it through the media. Maybe he has but this should have been hashed out behind closed doors. A lot of this fan base think we would be great if our defense was ranked 16th, instead of 28th. That still leaves us 16th in offense and 16th in defense and looking just like 8-8. Except our schedule is hell next year, it could be 4-12.

I hope Jay does develop to lead the team but learn to do it face to face with the player and not through the media.

fcspikeit
12-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Here is the bottom line, the goal of an offense is to score over 20, the goal of the defense is to keep the opponents under 17.

Sure our offense could have done better, but it's not their fault the defense gave up 3 times the limit in points.

If we had lost 21 - 24 I would agree with you, our offense should have done more. The simple fact is our defense could do nothing. SD had all the momentum every drive except our first one. The only way we could have won that game is if their defense was as bad as ours..

Playoff teams don't give up 52 points! I don't care if you have 6 turnovers, there is no excuse for giving up 52. Every last guy on defense should be embarrassed!

I have no problem with Cutler saying we couldn't stop anyone. If our defenders don't want to be laughed at, they better bring something a little more to the table then allowing 52 points with the playoffs on the line.. It was a monumental suck fest out there! I hope everyone of our defenders are telling Pat to force shanny to fire Slowic. The guy is making them the laughing stock of the NFL..

jrelway
12-29-2008, 08:10 PM
after a certain point, im sure anyone would get sick of it. constantly keeping quiet about a half assed defensive coordinator and his defense. this is how people get ulcers.

JONtheBRONCO
12-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Agreed. I always thought Jake was the weak link but at the same time some people bought too much even into that defense that year. Case in point, the AFC Championship game. Jake definitely had his issues but so did the defense. Even aside from 05', the two years prior when we got our asses handed to us against the Colts. Those werent offensive issues in those games. Yet, Jake bit his lip and played the consumate teammate. Naturally, i expect that from a veteran and i hope that Jay can learn from this. But, it is a little baffling that people actually WANT Jay to call out teammates. I just cant get on board with that. Ever.

No, I understand what your saying, and I agree Jay has some growing up to do. I wouldn't say Jay wants out of Denver - he has a really good thing going for him here. A great organization, fan support, a HC - owner - OC all of whom he shares a great relationship with, a great group of young weapons with a solid offensive line to keep him clean and some close buddies in Marshall, Scheffler, and Royal.

Slick
12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Jay said "we can't stop anybody". Who exactly did he throw under the bus? Did he call out a specific player? Did he call out Slowik? Nope, he simply described what is the truth about the 28th ranked defense in the league.

The defense is what caused the problems, not Jay. The pick in the endzone should not have happened, but we shoulda/coulda scored on the prior play. And the offense came out the next series and drove for the TD. The other pick was a fluke. 98 times out of 100 that batted ball hits the ground. Even though Tatum had a solid game, we were still one dimensional due to falling behind early. Everytime we gained some momentum by scoring, the defense rolled over. The scheme last night was just horrible. Champ is by no means back to full speed, yet he was in man coverage playing catch up on crossing routes and was not his usual effective self. That has been the problem all season - not playing to our strengths and not focusing on the fundamentals.

Jay simply stated the obvious. And it was nothing like Manning slamming his o-line like was mentioned above. The defense has been horrible all year it wasn't like they had a sudden meltdown last night. Add in a necessarily pass biased offense and there was no realistic way we were going to win that game.

As for the comment about the Colt's handling the chargers next week. I can't wait for Indy to complete the one-and-done that will bring san diego back to reality and wipe that stupid grin off river's face.

Right about now I hate the chargers way more than I ever hated the raiders and that is saying a lot, because I absolutely despise the raiders.

...and that seemed to happen all year. That's what bothers me most about this season.

Being mad just doesn't fit my personality. I'm done venting. I think we've suffered through enough injuries in this season, to last us three. Hopefully we'll be healthier next year and we add some talent to the defense and find a RB who can last a season. Things will be better in the seasons ahead, and Jay will lead us to the promised land.

We stuck with John through thick and thin. Let's show Jay that same compassion. He's still a kid after all.

honz
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Also, everyone needs to remember that just because we first hear Jay calling out the defense through the media doesn't mean that he hasn't said it in the locker room. Hell, my 90 year old Grandma could tell you that our defense sucks if she watched a couple Bronco games.

Slick
12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I think it's one of those things that does not need to be said by a player. Everyone knows it, but the guys who need to be saying it are the coaches. It could fire up some folks, but it could also drive a wedge into the team. When coaches say it it's not so personal and brings a lot of authority with it.

Excellent point NUB. I think the problem was, Coach never said anything about the D. It was always the offense in his pressers.

elsid13
12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
With all due respect, asking any offense to score 35+ points a game is asking too much.

The thing that pi$$es me off most.....

Shanahan states many times through the year, that Cutler needs to play smarter, and the offense needs to be more efficient. I have not heard him say one thing in criticism about the defense. The only comments he every says about the defense, "I thought they did a great job, and made plays a key points of the game to keep us in it".

Shanahan either completely neglects defense, or is just that stupid. Neither is good for the Denver Bronocs.

Shanahan understand what going with the defense, but unlike Cutler he in charge of everyone, and sometime you don't call out your problem child, you figure out how to make him successful.

weazel
12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
just another case of immaturity and no composure.

Who was it that was arguing with me about that? LMAO

Tned
12-29-2008, 08:34 PM
How do you know that he hasn't been doing that? Maybe he has and the message never sunk in.

Doesn't change the fact that throwing his teamates under the bus to the press doesn't make him come off as a leader, but a selfish primadona, just like Manning did when he trashed his line, or TO does when he blames everyone but himself.

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, we were ranked 28th on defense, after last night we are 29th.

:tsk:

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Doesn't change the fact that throwing his teamates under the bus to the press doesn't make him come off as a leader, but a selfish primadona, just like Manning did when he trashed his line, or TO does when he blames everyone but himself.

If I remember correcty, that was the year before the Colts won the Super Bowl, so it obviously didn't hurt. :noidea:

spikerman
I wonder how many times during the year the offense made mistakes (like turnovers) because they were pressing since they knew the defense couldn't stop anybody. I know Cutler stares down receivers, but I can't help but think that some of those interceptions, especially near the goal line, are a result of him feeling like he had to take chances since the Broncos' only chance to win was to score on every possession.

silkamilkamonico
Shanahan understand what going with the defense, but unlike Cutler he in charge of everyone, and sometime you don't call out your problem child, you figure out how to make him successful.

Considering our defense is on a steady decline over the past 3 years, Shanahan doesn't seem to be very good at that.

Tned
12-29-2008, 08:40 PM
If I remember correcty, that was the year before the Colts won the Super Bowl, so it obviously didn't hurt. :noidea:

Well, if you honestly believe that is 'why' the Colts won the SB, then I guess you should be in great spirits this offseason.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, if you honestly believe that is 'why' the Colts won the SB, then I guess you should be in great spirits this offseason.

I never said it's 'why' they won the Super Bowl, I just said that it obviously didn't hurt their chances any.

scott.475
12-29-2008, 08:46 PM
I think I just heard parts of this interview over 850 online. The way what he said reads is much different than how it came across when you actually hear him say it. Also, the writer of this piece, as is typical, seems to have only wanted to carve out the parts that make Jay look like he has a bad attitude. I heard Jay talk a lot about his problems, mistakes, etc. Even the part about him flying out reads just totally flippant and non-caring, but it is much, much different when you hear it in person. I think the story was written to intentionally take his comments out of context.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Give me a break. Now, it is twisting around to where Jay just blurted out of
the blue about the defense, and now it's being suggested that he is trying to
pass the buck. That is ridiculous.

First Jay was asked about San Diego's chances against Indy. He didn't believe
that they had a chance because they have the same problem Denver does:
they can't stop anybody. Go back and read the article, for pity's sake, only
this time pay attention to how it was said.

And what's this thing about passing the blame? All season long, when Jay has
thrown INTs in losses, he has mentioned his INTs in post game interviews. He
has never failed to blame himself when he was to blame. Let's get off that.

Jay is honest about what is wrong, whether he is to blame or someone else.
He is painfully honest. I would have him no other way. There is too much
dishonesty in this world as it is.

In my mind, how Jay addresses things does make him a leader.

-----

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 08:53 PM
After giving this some thought I think I'm going to give Jay a little more leeway on this. As some have stated, the game is indeed different than it was when Elway played--even though I wish in some ways it weren't.

After the Colts' bad playoff loss in '06 Manning famously said "I'm trying to be a good teammate here, but, yeah, we had some protection problems." That's pretty much the same thing Jay is saying here--and it's safe to say Manning was a veteran at that time. He took a little heat but I don't think anyone said he was no longer a class act, needed to "mature", etc. It was the truth and he was frustrated and he said it.

This defensive performance wasn't just bad--it was one-for-the-ages bad. If immediate drastic corrective action isn't going to be taken, *someone* has to speak "truth to power" to ensure it does I guess--might as well be Jay.

Tned
12-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I never said it's 'why' they won the Super Bowl, I just said that it obviously didn't hurt their chances any.

It 'might' not have hurt their chances, but it couldn't have helped his relationship with his line, considering it was replayed and written about hundreds of time during the off season.

Fortunately, Cutlers isn't at the same level as Manning was, so this comment likely won't make the headlines like Manning's did. It will be seen more as smack regarding SD not being that good.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that locker room issues belong in the locker room, and players shouldn't be calling out other players or units to the media.

weazel
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
sotallytober...

He's a starting QB in the NFL, can throw a football as hard as anyone ever has.
You're a Chargers fan, sitting at home eating cheeto's and typing on your keyboard on a Bronco's site where noone likes you...

...and he's the little b***h?

you're funny, you make me laugh.

Tned
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
After the Colts' bad playoff loss in '06 Manning famously said "I'm trying to be a good teammate here, but, yeah, we had some protection problems." That's pretty much the same thing Jay is saying here--and it's safe to say Manning was a veteran at that time. He took a little heat but I don't think anyone said he was no longer a class act, needed to "mature", etc. It was the truth and he was frustrated and he said it.

Actually, they said very much those things about Manning. It was one of the most talked about events of the playoffs, all off season, and at the start of the next season. Manning was roundly criticized for that comment. We have no idea what, if any, impact it had on his locker room, but when it comes to the commentators, talking heads and reporters, nearly all of them talked about how classless and wrong Manning's comments were.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 09:00 PM
He's a starting QB in the NFL, can throw a football as hard as anyone ever has.
You're a Chargers fan, sitting at home eating cheeto's and typing on your keyboard on a Bronco's site where noone likes you...

...and he's the little bitch?

you're funny, you make me laugh.

Looks like someone quickly deleted the comment you're referencing.

Actually the Chargers part I think is funny. They asked him if the Chargers were "for real", and he pretty much just says "No." Hilarious.

We'll see if he's right--Cutler's in a pretty good position to make that call I suppose...

Northman
12-29-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't see a whole lot on that defense that I respect to be honest. I loved John as much as the next guy, but it isn't 1985 anymore.

I'm sure things were said behind closed doors, and obviously nothing changed. The frustration finally just set in. Jay was asked to win every single game. It took an absolute miracle of a fourth quarter for us to beat the Browns for crying out loud.

Jay never said he was perfect. He missed some throws. He had some bad INT's. He isn't Michael Jordan and this isn't basketball. It takes 22 players to be successful.

Look, we're all disappointed. Some of us more so than others.

IMO Jay had a hell of a year. Maybe one of the best from a QB in Broncos history. If we can get him any semblance of a running game, and just a mediocre defense, we wouldn't have threads like these. We'd be talking about the Colts game, or what we're going to do over the bye weekend.

I dont disagree with anything you said. Look, i like Jay Cutler a lot. But those kinds of things i dont like to see as a fan. I think people are confusing me not liking his comment to somehow taking away what he did this year. Thats not the case. This isnt about Jay not performing to the best of his ability. This is about Jay should not be calling out teammates publically. Its ok for him to be frustrated, but i disagree with the pointing fingers. The way i look at it, they failed as a TEAM.

Tned
12-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I dont disagree with anything you said. Look, i like Jay Cutler a lot. But those kinds of things i dont like to see as a fan. I think people are confusing me not liking his comment to somehow taking away what he did this year. Thats not the case. This isnt about Jay not performing to the best of his ability. This is about Jay should not be calling out teammates publically. Its ok for him to be frustrated, but i disagree with the pointing fingers. The way i look at it, they failed as a TEAM.

Exactly. I am Jay's biggest fan, and think he is going to be one of the best QB's in the league in very short order. However, what he did is wrong.

How many people have posted what a punk TO is for calling out his QB or other teamates? Why is it ok for Jay to do it?

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 09:06 PM
It 'might' not have hurt their chances, but it couldn't have helped his relationship with his line, considering it was replayed and written about hundreds of time during the off season.

Fortunately, Cutlers isn't at the same level as Manning was, so this comment likely won't make the headlines like Manning's did. It will be seen more as smack regarding SD not being that good.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that locker room issues belong in the locker room, and players shouldn't be calling out other players or units to the media.

That's all speculation. But like I said, seeing as they won the freaking super bowl the next year, it can't have hurt their chemistry that badly.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Exactly. I am Jay's biggest fan, and think he is going to be one of the best QB's in the league in very short order. However, what he did is wrong.

How many people have posted what a punk TO is for calling out his QB or other teamates? Why is it ok for Jay to do it?

TO made it a point to make sure everyone in the media knew his thoughts on other teammates. He also never took responsibility for himself. Far different from what Jay did here.

Northman
12-29-2008, 09:10 PM
That's all speculation. But like I said, seeing as they won the freaking super bowl the next year, it can't have hurt their chemistry that badly.

True, but then again Denver isnt nowhere near winning a Super Bowl like they were.

honz
12-29-2008, 09:12 PM

He stated a fact. I've heard him take responsibility for his own poor play when he turns the ball over or just plays poorly. I think he is allowed to state the fact that our defense really hasn't stopped anyone all year. He is the leader of this team and he stated that our defense sucks...which it does. You know it, I know it, Cutler knows it, the media knows it, and every single one of our defensive players knows it. I highly doubt anyone was surprised by the fact that Cutler said our defense isn't very good when he was asked a question.

I understand that Bronco fans are angry and want to take their anger out on someone or something, but this shit is getting ridiculous. Most of the posts throwing our players under the bus are much worse than some of the things that our players and coaches are saying. Take a look in the mirror people.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Like I have said Jay needs to grow up. He should hardly point the finger at anyone.

The D does suck but to say in in the media when he was responsible for two picks and missed plenty of open Wrs as well and after last week getting picked at the 1 vs Buffalo and then not getting it done to at least tie the game.

Jay look in the mirror, you are far from Tom Brady/Peyton Manning and your all time favorite QB Phillip Rivers, who may be cocky but I dont see him calling out his team in bad times.

Jay is looking like Jeff George to me. This behavior is a prime example.

Did you even listen to a word Jay said after the game?

He DID take responsibility for his play. The quote about the D was just one part of an answer to one question. You're painting it to seem like he went out of his way to blame the defense while taking no accountability for himself. That couldn't be further from the truth.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 09:15 PM

I, for one, never called T.O. a punk for that since I paid no attention to it.

My concern is not what T.O. said. It is what Jay said. And the problem (as
usual, it seems) is so many people's perceptions on how he said it. As I said,
he didn't just jump up out of the blue and point fingers at anybody. He was
asked a question about SD's chances against Indy, and he answered and then
explained why.

If those incompetents on defense can't stomach that, then let them improve
the team by leaving . . .

-----

Medford Bronco
12-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Did you even listen to a word Jay said after the game?

He DID take responsibility for his play. The quote about the D was just one part of an answer to one question. You're painting it to seem like he went out of his way to blame the defense while taking no accountability for himself. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I think there are times to not say anything when as a team they sucked including Jay.

Tned
12-29-2008, 09:21 PM
I, for one, never called T.O. a punk for that since I paid no attention to it.

My concern is not what T.O. said. It is what Jay said. And the problem (as
usual, it seems) is so many people's perceptions on how he said it. As I said,
he didn't just jump up out of the blue and point fingers at anybody. He was
asked a question about SD's chances against Indy, and he answered and then
explained why.

If those incompetents on defense can't stomach that, then let them improve
the team by leaving . . .

-----

What he did was let his hatred of SD, and the lack of filter on his mouth, allow him to say something he shouldn't have.

He was trying to trash talk SD, and the way he did it was by slamming his defense. It was wrong, plain and simple. If he wants to call out the defense, do it in the locker room.

Northman
12-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I think there are times to not say anything when as a team they sucked including Jay.

Dont sweat it Med. Jay can do no wrong here and all you will do is talk yourself in circles trying to explain your stance. If they dont understand the concept your trying to convey they will never get it.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 09:33 PM
What he did was let his hatred of SD, and the lack of filter on his mouth, allow him to say something he shouldn't have.

He was trying to trash talk SD, and the way he did it was by slamming his defense. It was wrong, plain and simple. If he wants to call out the defense, do it in the locker room.

I'm not so quick to attribute a motive to another person because I feel that's
the way is. You might have that opinion, but I don't buy it as fact. It is my
opinion that Jay came out with some honesty, for which he has acquired the
reputation, as attested by Madden's comments on it at the beginning of the
game. But that is my opinion.

It is fact he hates the Chargers, and Rivers in particular. But whether that is
the reason for what he said cannot be established as fact. For instance, he
did not call out Marshall out of hate, did he? Nope, you cannot rightly advance
that as fact.

-----

Slick
12-29-2008, 09:33 PM

They most certainly did, and don't think I'm missing your point here, because it's a valid one too.

Obviously we're all frustrated about how this season ended, especially after such a young team showed such resiliency.

He didn't name names. He simply said we couldn't stop anyone. I thought that was a fair and honest statement, and thus I will defend him on it.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 09:35 PM

And there are times to say it.

Who's to say this was or was not the time?

Nonetheless, I still admire him for it . . .

-----

Tned
12-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm not so quick to attribute a motive to another person because I feel that's
the way is. You might have that opinion, but I don't buy it as fact. It is my
opinion that Jay came out with some honesty, for which he has acquired the
reputation, as attested by Madden's comments on it at the beginning of the
game. But that is my opinion.

It is fact he hates the Chargers, and Rivers in particular. But whether that is
the reason for what he said cannot be established as fact. For instance, he
did not call out Marshall out of hate, did he? Nope, you cannot rightly advance
that as fact.

-----

And as Al Michaels pointed out, Shanahan doesn't like Jay's lack of filter on what he says, and is working with him to change it.

Slick
12-29-2008, 09:36 PM

I think the reason some of us are defending him here is because he didn't suck for 16 weeks, but the defense definitely did.

Jay is not without faults, don't get me wrong, but I think his comment was spot on and justified in this instance.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 09:39 PM
And as Al Michaels pointed out, Shanahan doesn't like Jay's lack of filter on what he says, and is working with him to change it.

If Shanahan were more adept at motivating his players, I might agree with him.
But Shanahan himself has discounted getting his team emotionally involved,
saying that they are pros, and they should be able to motivate themselves.
He needs to take some courses in psychology, IMO.

Meanwhile, I have to disagree with him . . .

-----

Mike
12-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I think the reason some of us are defending him here is because he didn't suck for 16 weeks, but the defense definitely did.

Jay is not without faults, don't get me wrong, but I think his comment was spot on and justified in this instance.

Whether he was right about the topic is irrelevant. Throwing your team under the bus isn't leadership and it isn't justified...especially when you are giving away the ball in the red-zone like it's candy.

Tned

Not too many people, if any, are defending the defense. Those, like myself, that are critical of Jay's comments are not disagreeing with what he is saying. I'm sure everyone that has criticized his comments in this thread agrees with what he said about the defense.

The issue isn't whether or not his comments were accurate, but whether as a teammate and leader of the team, he should be making those comments to the media.

Northman

Would you be ok if the shoe was on the other foot?

Tned
12-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Meanwhile, I have to disagree with him . . .

-----

And I with you...

However, that is the GREAT thing about message boards, we all get to espouse our opinions on a subject. If we all agreed, things would be pretty boring. :D

Tned
12-29-2008, 09:42 PM

You mean if champ talked about all of Jay's key picks this season, his down games where he over or underthrew receivers, and stuff like that?

Northman
12-29-2008, 09:44 PM
You mean if champ talked about all of Jay's key picks this season, his down games where he over or underthrew receivers, and stuff like that?

Yea, or if the defense came out and said they wouldnt be so bad if Jay and the offense didnt keep turning the ball over.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 09:49 PM
And I with you...

However, that is the GREAT thing about message boards, we all get to espouse our opinions on a subject. If we all agreed, things would be pretty boring. :D

Well, when it comes to disagreeing with Shanahan about a psychological factor, I am not without foundation.

-----

topscribe
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM

As in, if Champ went into all kinds of detail, which Jay did not do? Had Jay
done that, I would have disagreed with him. But he didn't. He just made an
honest, off-hand remark that, as someone previously said, everyone already
knew, anyway, even the defense itself.

But if Champ mentioned offhand that Jay needs to get into the endzone more
when they get down to the red zone, I could handle that, yes.

-----

Slick
12-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Whether he was right about the topic is irrelevant. Throwing your team under the bus isn't leadership and it isn't justified...especially when you are giving away the ball in the red-zone like it's candy.

Not too many people, if any, are defending the defense. Those, like myself, that are critical of Jay's comments are not disagreeing with what he is saying. I'm sure everyone that has criticized his comments in this thread agrees with what he said about the defense.

The issue isn't whether or not his comments were accurate, but whether as a teammate and leader of the team, he should be making those comments to the media.

I know you guys aren't defending the defense here, and I'm the last person on the forums looking for an argument. You all know how I am.

I simply just don't see that comment as throwing anyone, or a team mate under the bus. I'm pretty sure none of the defensive players couldn't even look Jay (or anyone on the offense) in the eyes as they came off the field after giving up touchdowns less than 3 or 4 minutes after Jay (or the offense) scored one, basically every Sunday, all year long.

Would I like it if my boss told all the customers that I was a terrible dive master, that I couldn't find a turtle or an eel if it bit me on the ass? Absolutely not. Would it motivate me to be better? Of course.

Maybe I'm not making sense here, or maybe some of you are more "old school" than I am. I just don't see anything wrong with making a blanket statement that doesn't single anyone out, and I also can't blame him for his frustration.

Slick
12-29-2008, 09:57 PM

You mean if I sucked out loud and someone called me on it. No, I wouldn't like it, but I'd also make damn sure I never gave them reason to do so ever again. Ultimately I think that is what he was trying to accomplish.

spikerman
12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I heard the defense was pissed after that comment and went looking for Jay. Apparently they all cornered him in the locker room, but he just ran through them all and got away. :D

weazel
12-29-2008, 10:01 PM
I heard the defense was pissed after that comment and went looking for Jay. Apparently they all cornered him in the locker room, but he just ran through them all and got away. :D

:beer:

it must have looked like the shot of Sproles carrying 10 Broncos on his back for 10 yards

spikerman
12-29-2008, 10:03 PM
:beer:

it must have looked like the shot of Sproles carrying 10 Broncos on his back for 10 yardsAre you doubting the toughness of that 5'6" 180 lb powerhouse? I once clipped a toenail bigger than that guy. I can see why three Broncos' defenders got run over by him. :tsk:

Slick
12-29-2008, 10:11 PM
I think the real problem was and still is glaring. There is absolutely no leadership on this defense, none. Gone are the days of Al Wilson. Long gone are the days of dennis Smith and Steve Atwater, Karl Mecklenburg. Long long gone are the days of Tom Jackson, Randy Gradishar.

This defense needs a captain who can lead these guys on gameday and on the practice field. I don't care what it takes, but we need to find it. Shanahan isn't that guy. We all know Bob definitely isn't the guy.

Whether it's coaching, through the draft, or a Free Agent pick-up, we sorely need someone to take control of this side of the team. Jay has shown he is trying to lead in his own way. I think he felt like no one else would say it, so he took it upon himself. Maybe it wasn't the right place or the right time, but it was still true, as much as it hurts.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I think the real problem was and still is glaring. There is absolutely no leadership on this defense, none. Gone are the days of Al Wilson. Long gone are the days of dennis Smith and Steve Atwater, Karl Mecklenburg. Long long gone are the days of Tom Jackson, Randy Gradishar.

This defense needs a captain who can lead these guys on gameday and on the practice field. I don't care what it takes, but we need to find it. Shanahan isn't that guy. We all know Bob definitely isn't the guy.

Whether it's coaching, through the draft, or a Free Agent pick-up, we sorely need someone to take control of this side of the team. Jay has shown he is trying to lead in his own way. I think he felt like no one else would say it, so he took it upon himself. Maybe it wasn't the right place or the right time, but it was still true, as much as it hurts.

Well, you were pretty straight on when you mentioned the coaches aren't the
answer. A coach cannot replace on-field leadership. You even hear players
who are leaders complain that they can't be leaders when injured.

So you are right about the need for leaders on the field. However, remember
this is a very young team, and some of those youngsters might be just a bit
reticent to step out and take over leadership.

Next year, I expect Marshall to step up more. But the Broncos need a leader
at linebacker. Champ is a leader, but CB is just too remote for consistent
leadership there. The safeties are either young or chumps. Ekuban is a leader,
but he is DL. They need a linebacker to step up, as Al Wilson did. I think
Larsen could be that kind of leader, but they have him wasting away at FB. :mad:

-----

BeefStew25
12-29-2008, 10:24 PM
You don't know what you got until its gone:

fuLUN17QznA

BeefStew25
12-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Oh, and Slick, I don't quite care for your kind.

Northman
12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
I just don't see anything wrong with making a blanket statement that doesn't single anyone out, and I also can't blame him for his frustration.

If the blanket statement read "We just werent very good today" i could live with it. Singling out one faction of the team is throwing them under the bus. I know thats not how you look at it but that is the reality of the comment.

Slick
12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, you were pretty straight on when you mentioned the coaches aren't the
answer. A coach cannot replace on-field leadership. You even hear players
who are leaders complain that they can't be leaders when injured.

So you are right about the need for leaders on the field. However, remember
this is a very young team, and some of those youngsters might be just a bit
reticent to step out and take over leadership.

Next year, I expect Marshall to step up more. But the Broncos need a leader
at linebacker. Champ is a leader, but CB is just too remote for consistent
leadership there. The safeties are either young or chumps. Ekuban is a leader,
but he is DL. They need a linebacker to step up, as Al Wilson did. I think
Larsen could be that kind of leader, but they have him wasting away at FB. :mad:

-----I think you're right about Larsen, but I think they'll draft someone who they'll have to play because they pay him more, whether he's better than Larsen or not. Sounds familiar doesn't it? I'm not going to even mention his name because he sucks so bad I'm trying to erase him from my memory.

Someone needs to step up. That much is obvious. Hopefully you're right about the youth, and needing a little more time to mature. I'm patient and realistic. I'll go in to next season expecting very little, that way I won't be set up for disappointment.

You don't know what you got until its gone:

fuLUN17QznA

So true Beefcake, so true.

Hope it's all fresh powder and snow bunnies. Be safe up there man.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 10:35 PM
If the blanket statement read "We just werent very good today" i could live with it. Singling out one faction of the team is throwing them under the bus. I know thats not how you look at it but that is the reality of the comment.

No, that is your opinion that it is the reality of the statement.

What is fact is that he stated a fact. Everything else comprises our opinions . . .

-----

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 10:36 PM
One further note - as for Jay throwing his teammates under the bus, which I am usually death on, 52 points given up in the most critical game of the Year says that for him to say anything else would have been moronic and an insult to everyone's intelligence. Ray Charles could see that. Jay went to Vandy, so he ought to be kind of smart if nothing else.

Northman
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM

What is fact is that he stated a fact. Everything else comprises our opinions . . .

-----

Um, ok.

Mike
12-29-2008, 10:39 PM
One further note - as for Jay throwing his teammates under the bus, which I am usually death on, 52 points given up in the most critical game of the Year says that for him to say anything else would have been moronic and an insult to everyone's intelligence. Ray Charles could see that. Jay went to Vandy, so he ought to be kind of smart if nothing else.

So he should have kept his yap shut...simple. ;)

Slick
12-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh, and Slick, I don't quite care for your kind.

I love you too Beefcake.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 10:43 PM
um, ok.

:Dd

-----

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 10:44 PM
So he should have kept his yap shut...simple. ;)

Normally I'd agree. 52 points surrendered is a pretty big elephant in the room though. Its quantifiable, written permanently into the history books, and wholly owned by this Bronco team. They gave up nearly a point a minute. I think it needed to be addressed, because otherwise this kind of loss can do permanent damage going forward. In no way can that 52 be excused, ignored, or be allowed to repeat itself.

Mike
12-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Normally I'd agree. 52 points surrendered is a pretty big elephant in the room though. Its quantifiable, written permanently into the history books, and wholly owned by this Bronco team. They gave up nearly a point a minute. I think it needed to be addressed, because otherwise this kind of loss can do permanent damage going forward. In no way can that 52 be excused, ignored, or be allowed to repeat itself.

I agree. It should be addressed...by the coach. Preferably firing the poor excuse for a d-coord he made the mistake of hiring and then by making the necessary personnel changes in the off-season.

BeefStew25
12-29-2008, 10:46 PM
That game was like the Halocaust, Dread. We can't forget or we will be doomed to repeat it.

Slick
12-29-2008, 10:48 PM

Reality...kind of like common sense. I thought it was common sense not to spearfish in a marina entrance, or not to play on the highway, but some Mexicans don't see it that way...

I'm not budging on this, and it doesn't seem like you are either.

Let's have a beer and call it good Northman. :beer:

Tned
12-29-2008, 10:49 PM

-----

Of course it is all opinions. It is your opinion that what he said was perfectly fine, it is my opinion that you, and he, are dead wrong.

Maybe it is because as Slick said, I am old school. I don't talk smack. I don't participate in the smack forums. I think the pre-staged endzone celebrations and celebrating after making a tackle when you are down by 21 points, are all 'overdone'.

I also believe (my opinion) that you don't publicly slam your teammates.

Stating that anyone could score on the Broncos defense, is slamming his teammates. Not an opinion, a fact.

Jay needs to grow up, worry about his play, and if he has something to say to his teammates or about his teammates, do it in the locker room, not via the media.

topscribe
12-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Of course it is all opinions. It is your opinion that what he said was perfectly fine, it is my opinion that you, and he, are dead wrong.

Maybe it is because as Slick said, I am old school. I don't talk smack. I don't participate in the smack forums. I think the pre-staged endzone celebrations and celebrating after making a tackle when you are down by 21 points, are all 'overdone'.

I also believe (my opinion) that you don't publicly slam your teammates.

Stating that anyone could score on the Broncos defense, is slamming his teammates. Not an opinion, a fact.

Jay needs to grow up, worry about his play, and if he has something to say to his teammates or about his teammates, do it in the locker room, not via the media.

Well, again, while I might agree with you under some circumstances, I am
looking at the circumstances of this particular incident. It came out in a
moment of sheer honestly, as a side comment to the question. I inferred it
as, "Indy's defense is stronger than both SD's and ours, so they're going to
win."

So in this instance, I won't budge. I admired him for his honesty. And what
he said was fact. These aren't high school or college kids. They're pros. If
they can't take it, then maybe they shouldn't be pros.

Jay isn't just a player. He is the quarterback, what is normally known as
the coach on the field. The QB is the leader. If he felt he should say it,
then who am I to naysay him for it?

-----

topscribe
12-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Here's the deal: Jay is the one who worked all offseason, studying and trying
to refine his game, who went through the OTAs and TC, who, game after
game, played his ass off to get wins for his team . . . all of his team.

We, on the other hand, sat down in front of the boob tube and cracked open
a beer and dipped our hand in the popcorn, our utmost efforts being screaming
and yelling at the tube. A lucky few of us get to see the home games alive.

In no way can we empathize with the intense frustration Cutler must be
feeling at this moment. He played well enough this year that, had the defense
been "average," the Broncos would probably have been 13-3 (KC, Jax, Miami,
Oakland, Buffalo) instead of 8-8. Jay knows that, and so does the defense if
their IQ exceeds the numerical value of their shoe size.

So week after week, Jay and his receivers have to try to keep pumping out
as many points as they can, knowing they have to score every time they
have the ball because of that defense.

I think I might have found myself saying something, too, at that point . . .

-----

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 11:43 PM

I disagree that an offense ranked 16th in scoring would be much better than 8-8. I think if our defense was ranked 16th and offense 16th then 8-8 would have been just an easier ride, for the fans, but still 8-8.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I disagree that an offense ranked 16th in scoring would be much better than 8-8. I think if our defense was ranked 16th and offense 16th then 8-8 would have been just an easier ride, for the fans, but still 8-8.

Simply not true. If our D is even decent, we win at least 10 or 11 games. Hell...we won 8 w/ an awful D. Our offensive ranking is a bit misleading since we have become 1 dimensional, thus allowing teams to focus on the pass D. W/ a defense, we could be more balanced cuz we wouldn't be down big like in some of the games we have.

But forget even that. If our D was at least average, we'd have been able to stop a bad Buffalo team. We'd have been able to stop Oakland from going crazy in the second half. We would have beaten Buffalo. KC was on the offensive turnovers.

Simple Jaded
12-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Actually, 80% will be back, it is the 20% they change that hopefully will make the difference.

Regardless, there is a certain role that a team leader needs to play, and blaming team mates, or showing up his receivers on the field, isn't that role.

I agree with this, what Cutler did was no different than Peyton Manning's "We had protection issues".

It's bush league BS, but hopefully it is a prelude to some changes.......

Tned
12-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Well, again, while I might agree with you under some circumstances, I am
looking at the circumstances of this particular incident. It came out in a
moment of sheer honestly, as a side comment to the question. I inferred it
as, "Indy's defense is stronger than both SD's and ours, so they're going to
win."

So in this instance, I won't budge. I admired him for his honesty. And what
he said was fact. These aren't high school or college kids. They're pros. If
they can't take it, then maybe they shouldn't be pros.

Jay isn't just a player. He is the quarterback, what is normally known as
the coach on the field. The QB is the leader. If he felt he should say it,
then who am I to naysay him for it?

-----

Top, I know you won't budge, but as you know, I don't budge when I am right.

He didn't say what you interpreted his words to be, what he did say, whether in a bout of honesty, or even if he was speaking in tongue, was simply wrong at that time and place.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Top, I know you won't budge, but as you know, I don't budge when I am right.

He didn't say what you interpreted his words to be, what he did say, whether in a bout of honesty, or even if he was speaking in tongue, was simply wrong at that time and place.

Well, you know you're right, and I know I'm right.

I guess we're both right, then. Somehow. :whoknows:

So, I guess it's just agree to disagree time . . . :beer:

-----

Tned
12-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Well, you know you're right, and I know I'm right.

I guess we're both right, then. Somehow. :whoknows:

So, I guess it's just agree to disagree time . . . :beer:

-----

Yep, I think that's what time it is. :D

scott.475
12-30-2008, 01:39 AM
A lucky few of us get to see the home games alive.

Personally, I count myself very lucky to be able to see ALL the Bronco games alive. I would not want to burden my family with responsibility of making sure I see them after I am dead, though I have heard of stranger things being written into wills...kinda like this Jeremy Bentham :shudder:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Bentham

:lol:

GEM
12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
So you're saying our offense should be expected to score on every single possession to make up for our shitty defense? That's realistic. :rolleyes:

If you KNOW that your defense sucks, then yes, you should. Or you can expect to get blown out 52-21 on a regular basis. Just because you don't like it, doesn't change the fact that Cutler KNEW before hand that his defense couldn't stop a high powered offense. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. When you continually overthrow your reciever, when you continually throw picks in the red zone, your defense not being able to stop someone isn't the only problem.

GEM
12-30-2008, 10:03 AM
When SD had 36:07 of game time it hard for the offense to get on the field.

When you turn it over on downs after having the ball 5:30 its hard to keep the defense off the field. When you throw a pick in the red zone after going down 80 something yards, it's hard to keep the defense off the field. It goes both ways.

Look, I'm not saying the offense is the problem. We ALL know the defense is the issue. The offense didn't help that out, so they really don't have a whole lot of room to talk. We SUCKED in ALL aspects of the game Sunday. PERIOD.

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm glad Cutler called out the defense, also remember, he isnt the first. With players publically calling out Slowicks defense I can only imagine what is going on behind closed doors. Shanny almost seems as though he is being stubborn about not canning Slowick than he is making an honest assesment. I hope players and fans keep the pressure on and help force a change that desperatly needs to happen.

elsid13
12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
When you turn it over on downs after having the ball 5:30 its hard to keep the defense off the field. When you throw a pick in the red zone after going down 80 something yards, it's hard to keep the defense off the field. It goes both ways.

Look, I'm not saying the offense is the problem. We ALL know the defense is the issue. The offense didn't help that out, so they really don't have a whole lot of room to talk. We SUCKED in ALL aspects of the game Sunday. PERIOD.

Gem

You do realize that wasn't a bad play by Cutler on pick, but rather very nice play by the SD LB. The decision to go to Marshall with step on LB was the right move, problem is the LB made a great play in cutting under Marshall on that crossing pattern. Remember the other team get paid too.

broncophan
12-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Here's the deal: Jay is the one who worked all offseason, studying and trying
to refine his game, who went through the OTAs and TC, who, game after
game, played his ass off to get wins for his team . . . all of his team.

We, on the other hand, sat down in front of the boob tube and cracked open
a beer and dipped our hand in the popcorn, our utmost efforts being screaming
and yelling at the tube. A lucky few of us get to see the home games alive.

So week after week, Jay and his receivers have to try to keep pumping out
as many points as they can, knowing they have to score every time they
have the ball because of that defense.

I think I might have found myself saying something, too, at that point . . .

-----

So................players on the defense or offense for that matter.........can start bitching to the media about Cutlers stupid red zone int's he had throughout the year........

As others have said....and imo....you just don't go to the media and talk about how bad your teammates are........whether you talk about a group or individuals......

Let the head coach do that......I guess.......if he wants............but not players.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 10:29 AM
So................players on the defense or offense for that matter.........can start bitching to the media about Cutlers stupid red zone int's he had throughout the year........

As others have said....and imo....you just don't go to the media and talk about how bad your teammates are........whether you talk about a group or individuals......

Let the head coach do that......I guess.......if he wants............but not players.

I think this has already been covered quite well if you would review the thread.
Cutler did not "go to the media." The media went to him. They asked him who
would win between Indy and SD. He replied Indy, and he explained why: just
as we can't stop anybody, they can't stop anybody, he said -- an off-hand
comment that is common knowledge -- not throwing somebody under the bus,
as so many of you insist.

In fact, I think Jay is the one being thrown under the bus here . . .

-----

topscribe
12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Gem

You do realize that wasn't a bad play by Cutler on pick, but rather very nice play by the SD LB. The decision to go to Marshall with step on LB was the right move, problem is the LB made a great play in cutting under the Marshall on that crossing pattern. Remember the other team get paid too.

Even Madden said that he agreed with the decision to throw the pass, but
that it was a "very, very good" defensive play. I'm not sure at this point it
was the best play on Cutler's part. I would have to go back and review it and
see whether anyone else was open . . . but I still would have no concept from
Jay's point of view down there. And therein lies the problem with criticizing a
QB for a given INT: we have no idea of what is really going on at the time,
from the QB's point of view, especially at the pro level.

-----

GEM
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Gem

You do realize that wasn't a bad play by Cutler on pick, but rather very nice play by the SD LB. The decision to go to Marshall with step on LB was the right move, problem is the LB made a great play in cutting under the Marshall on that crossing pattern. Remember the other team get paid too.

Elsid, I'm not saying Cutler is to blame for the loss. I'm saying he made mistakes as well. I don't agree calling out teammates in an act of frustration. Not when all aspects of the team failed on Sunday night. I understand you don't agree with me, that's ok. ;)

Mike
12-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Even Madden said that he agreed with the decision to throw the pass, but
that it was a "very, very good" defensive play.

-----

And we all know that Madden is always right. ;)

He had Stokely open underneath to the right that probably would have gotten the first down pretty easy.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 10:38 AM

OK, I'll bite. TO's QB actually has done something. TO's QB has some ability and plays his butt off.

Our defense. .. not so much.

Disclaimer: I'm playing devil's advocate more than arguing that what Jay did was right. . .just don't think it compares well to TO's actions.

Traveler
12-30-2008, 10:45 AM
A reporter asked Jay which defense he'd rather player against. He said, "Ours!"

Just kidding folks...

Northman
12-30-2008, 10:46 AM
A reporter asked Jay which defense he'd rather player against. He said, "Ours!"

Jusy kidding folks...

I would say the same thing.

elsid13
12-30-2008, 10:46 AM

He had Stokely open underneath to the right that probably would have gotten the first down pretty easy. That should have been the right decision.

The problem from the regular TV he might have looked open, but you don't see the entire field look like you get from the coach's tape. A CB/LB might have been sitting in zone that wasn't captured on NBC broadcast or passing lane might not have been there for Cutler to make that throw.

I got a chance to watch a DIV-I football game from field level, out of the end zone, one time and amazing how hard it see things from that angle. I swear half the time QB are just throwing to spot hoping the WR is there.

NameUsedBefore
12-30-2008, 10:47 AM
The problem from the regular TV he might have looked open, but you don't see the entire field look like you get from the coach's tape. A CB/LB might have been sitting in zone that wasn't captured on NBC broadcast or passing lane might not have been there for Cutler to make that throw.

I got a chance to watch a DIV-I football game from field level, out of the end zone, one time and amazing how hard it see things from that angle. I swear half the time QB are just throwing to spot hoping the WR is there.

AFAIK, unless there's an immediate break down, there a lot of plays that are designed to solely go to one player.

Tned
12-30-2008, 10:50 AM
OK, I'll bite. TO's QB actually has done something. TO's QB has some ability and plays his butt off.

Our defense. .. not so much.

Disclaimer: I'm playing devil's advocate more than arguing that what Jay did was right. . .just don't think it compares well to TO's actions.

The point is that if TO think Romo isn't throwing to him enough, or is throwing to Whitten too much, or whatever complaints he has, should be done in the locker room, not to the camera or to a reporter.

Just like Manning was wrong with his "I'm trying to be a good teammate, but..." comment a few years ago.

Don't 'try' and be a good teammate, be one.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 10:50 AM

He had Stokely open underneath to the right that probably would have gotten the first down pretty easy. That should have been the right decision.

It is really easy, isn't it, to sit back in the comfort of our spot in front of the
boob tube and judge how somebody should have said or done something in a
situation we've never experienced? Well, Madden was once a head coach in
the NFL. I place a lot of weight on his knowledge: more than I do most
anybody who is pounding on a keyboard about it, including the journalists.

Regarding Stokley, that would have been the right decision, had Cutler seen
him. But again, I wasn't down there, seeing what Cutler saw, with all the
chaos around him. So I can't really say what Cutler should have done. All I
know is what Madden said about it.

-----

Northman
12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

I remember that play and there was another DB on the outside which is probably why Jay threw to the middle.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 10:59 AM
The point is that if TO think Romo isn't throwing to him enough, or is throwing to Whitten too much, or whatever complaints he has, should be done in the locker room, not to the camera or to a reporter.

Just like Manning was wrong with his "I'm trying to be a good teammate, but..." comment a few years ago.

Don't 'try' and be a good teammate, be one.

Well, sure. But Jay also said "we" couldn't stop anyone. He didn't say "those guys" or "insert defensive player here can't stop anyone", he say "we" can't stop anyone.

It's just me, I'm obviously in the minority, but if I'm on that defense Jay saying that doesn't bother me one bit. That'd be the last of my worries honestly. The guys on that defense who play well wouldn't take it personally and the guys that don't. . probably won't be here much longer.

It's not like we have a game next week, and he's going to bruise somebody's ego so much that they'll be ineffective next week.

Tned
12-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, sure. But Jay also said "we" couldn't stop anyone. He didn't say "those guys" or "insert defensive player here can't stop anyone", he say "we" can't stop anyone.

It's just me, I'm obviously in the minority, but if I'm on that defense Jay saying that doesn't bother me one bit. That'd be the last of my worries honestly. The guys on that defense who play well wouldn't take it personally and the guys that don't. . probably won't be here much longer.

It's not like we have a game next week, and he's going to bruise somebody's ego so much that they'll be ineffective next week.

When asked if San Diego was for real, or if they could beat Indy, Cutler said:

“These guys?” the Pro Bowl quarterback asked, gesturing to the players celebrating behind him. “San Diego? No, I don’t think so. I think Indy’ll handle ‘em pretty good. We really can’t stop anybody, and that’s the bottom line.”

The way the 'reasonable' person is going to interpret that is that Cutler is saying that the Broncos defense is so bad that they made San Diego 'look' good, so therefore they aren't for real and won't do well in the playoffs.

Jay just needs to think before he talks. This isn't the first time Jay has said something in an interview or post game news conference when he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Wow, 10 pages, 136 posts. :shocked:

I'll bet we've made a bigger deal out of this than any of the players . . . :nod:

-----

Dreadnought
12-30-2008, 12:08 PM

I'll bet we've made a bigger deal out of this than any of the players . . . :nod:

-----

Well, the Sports media lives to bait guys into saying things that they can then manufacture controversy from - and then blast the original speaker for. Its what they do. The NFL requires players to be available to the media as well, so stuff like this is going to happen after a horrorshow loss like we had. Had Cutler dodged the question he'd get blasted by the media for being dishonest.

They can no more help it than a tapeworm can help doing what it does.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
When asked if San Diego was for real, or if they could beat Indy, Cutler said:

The way the 'reasonable' person is going to interpret that is that Cutler is saying that the Broncos defense is so bad that they made San Diego 'look' good, so therefore they aren't for real and won't do well in the playoffs.

Jay just needs to think before he talks. This isn't the first time Jay has said something in an interview or post game news conference when he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut.

Well, I like to think of myself as "reasonable". I hope you're not suggesting otherwise. . but you wouldn't be the first I guess.

Of course, that's what Jay was saying. And I think that's what I'm trying to get across. Jay's comments were directed as more of a down-grade of San Diego than of a slam against the defense.

Yes, he should have phrased it differently, but let's be honest. Any answer he gives is going to get parsed 1,000 different ways and offend someone.

Had he said, "Gosh, I would now expect SD to win the Super-bowl, they're the best team we played all season." then he'd be getting slammed for being arrogant and over-confident and not recognizing how pitiful the Broncos played.

In some ways I don't know what you guys expect him to say. He's what 24-25 years old? He just watched the Chargers (who he hates) march up and down the field with nothing short of a welcome mat placed out in front of them.

And all he says is (paraphrasing), "shoot, we can't stop anybody" as he shakes his head.

I'll wait for something a little more substantial to put him on trial for.

Northman
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM

-----

Dont we always make a bigger deal about things? :lol:

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
i was waiting for cutler to say "and that's the bottom line, cause stone cold said so"

then he bust out 2 coors and smashes them together right after he gives rivers the stone cold stunner.

topscribe
12-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, the Sports media lives to bait guys into saying things that they can then manufacture controversy from - and then blast the original speaker for. Its what they do. The NFL requires players to be available to the media as well, so stuff like this is going to happen after a horrorshow loss like we had. Had Cutler dodged the question he'd get blasted by the media for being dishonest.

They can no more help it than a tapeworm can help doing what it does.

As you implied, it was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation,
perpetrated by the baiting by the press. They have used and abused Jay's
honesty, and perhaps naiveté, for their own sensationalism. No wonder he has
rolled his eyes at them. I probably would have just come out and told them
how stupid they can be . . .

-----

Dirk
12-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Ok, so I'll put my two cents in..

I am totally ok with what Jay said. I mean, it's the truth and maybe it will open the eyes of some people. Players, Coaches and Owner alike.

Hell, it worked for Elway. Remember how he publically made his feelings known about Dan Reeves?

Elway's was a direct HIT on Reeves. Cutler's was a blanket statement about the TEAM.

Give the kid a break. He is young, hungry and competitive. Something I admire. At least he didn't call specific people out like we do. heh!

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 12:53 PM
If you KNOW that your defense sucks, then yes, you should. Or you can expect to get blown out 52-21 on a regular basis. Just because you don't like it, doesn't change the fact that Cutler KNEW before hand that his defense couldn't stop a high powered offense. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. When you continually overthrow your reciever, when you continually throw picks in the red zone, your defense not being able to stop someone isn't the only problem.

That's a ridiculous expectation. There is not an offense in NFL history that has scored on every possession and I can't think of any who have been expected to do that. It's just not possible to do. Sorry but when the offense averages over 23 points a game, that should be enough for at least 10 wins on a team with any semblance of a defense. If Cuter and his WR's put up the exact same numbers next season as they did this year, and we get a defense to go with it, watch our record improve.

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM

He had Stokely open underneath to the right that probably would have gotten the first down pretty easy.

But there lies our team's problem. With Cuter under pressure to get a TD on EVERY SINGLE DRIVE because of our defense, he is forced to force some passes into the endzone in hopes of doing that. If we had a defense worth a shit, he could have settled for Stokley underneath then later setteled for a FG if it came to that, but he just didn't have that luxury this year.

MOtorboat
12-30-2008, 12:59 PM
That's a ridiculous expectation. There is not an offense in NFL history that has scored on every possession and I can't think of any who have been expected to do that. It's just not possible to do. Sorry but when the offense averages over 23 points a game, that should be enough for at least 10 wins on a team with any semblance of a defense. If Cuter and his WR's put up the exact same numbers next season as they did this year, and we get a defense to go with it, watch our record improve.

You don't remember the Chiefs-Colts playoff game in 2003, do you?

GEM
12-30-2008, 01:00 PM

No shit.

But the Offense KNOWS the defense can't do that and until they do if they want to win games they are going to have to put up more points. It's the way it is. It isn't pretty. It isn't fair. But it is what it is.

NightTrainLayne
12-30-2008, 01:02 PM

. ..That is. .. unless you're playing OUR defense.

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 01:02 PM
You don't remember the Chiefs-Colts playoff game in 2003, do you?

Yes, there wasn't a punt in the entire game. I remember it quite well. But the point I am trying to make is that no team can be expected to do that over the course of entire season. And if I remember correctly, the two RB's in that game were Priest Holmes and Edgerrin James in their primes. Much different than what Jay has supporting him in the backfield. :noidea:

BroncoWave
12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
No shit.

But the Offense KNOWS the defense can't do that and until they do if they want to win games they are going to have to put up more points. It's the way it is. It isn't pretty. It isn't fair. But it is what it is.

Exactly. And when they KNOW that they have to score on every single drive, they tend to force things, and that's just human nature.

MOtorboat
12-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes, there wasn't a punt in the entire game. I remember it quite well. But the point I am trying to make is that no team can be expected to do that over the course of entire season. And if I remember correctly, the two RB's in that game were Priest Holmes and Edgerrin James in their primes. Much different than what Jay has supporting him in the backfield. :noidea:

No, I know what you mean.

Jay forced the issue much of the time because he knew the defense wasn't going to stop anyone.

Jay put a lot of pressure on himself to overcome the defense's shortcomings, and he just can't do it.

I wish someone else in the organization would realize it too. I just don't like that Cutler is lashing about it in the media, regardless of the question that he was asked.

On one hand, I like the honesty, but as someone who wants it to be a team game, then on that hand, I don't like it.

Day1BroncoFan
12-30-2008, 01:17 PM
I haven't read this whole thread yet but our defense is one big hole.

I'm gald he said it. It's true.

broncofaninfla
12-30-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree with people when they say the defense put the offense in a force situation week in and week out. It’s pressure enough to play in the NFL, when you add “score on every possession” urgency to that I’m sure it can be overwhelming and it is certainly unfair to Cutler and the rest of the offense. That puts people on edge and in essence takes the fun out of the game. Take the fun out of the game and you lose the passion, I think we saw that too many times this season. A bad defense also affects the offensive game plan. You go from gameplan to catch up quick with a defense like ours. Fall one score behind and it isn’t so bad, fall several and it’s almost an impossible task to catch up. Opposing defenses know we are going to pass, especially given all of our injuries at RB and they play accordingly. It’s a credit that we were as good as we were on offense this year. Each week opposing defenses knew we were going to throw the ball yet Jay was still able to throw for over 4000 yards. Another factor of having a SLOWick defense is it’s hard to develop any rhythm on offense when your defense can’t get you back on the field.
With Shanahan saying Slowick will be back, I think it’s going to take pressure from players and fans alike to force a much need change at DC. I think Cutler has some growing up to do but I’m glad he called the defense out and hope others follow suit. Slowick has to go.

LRtagger
12-30-2008, 04:10 PM
When you get into situations in the FIRST half, where basically you are saying "If we don't score a TD here, we have no chance of winning this game", then you know you have problems on defense.

I knew in the first half that we lost the SD game when we didnt score in the 2nd quarter. Think of the burden that must place on the offensive players. Your defense should be able to at least keep you in the game going into the second half...our defense cant even do that.

I think that was the biggest problem this year...if you look at the NE game, when we had the two early fumbles, the offense kind of realized early that it would be too much to overcome with our defense and we folded.

Not saying its a good excuse, but when you put a burden to win on 10 or 11 guys (a burden that should be placed on 53 guys), then you are going to have problems. You cant expect a guy in his third year in the league to carry an entire team to a winning season.

Like someone said earlier, Shanny puts too much emphasis on the offense...he never seems to criticize the defense other than to say "they played good at times...we will build on that"....or "we are just a couple key plays away from being a good defense". Give me a break. Cutler told it like it is. The offense, nor the fans can depend on this piss poor defense to win us games.

As for all the points we leave on the field...I'm sure Pitt or Ten or Balt would take our offense in a heartbeat over theirs. The difference is, they have a defense that can win games when the offense "only" scores 21 points.

Northman
12-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Simply amazing.

Tned
12-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Maybe Cutler wishes he hadn't made the comment, showed up the defense, and pushed Bowlen over the brink. :lol: