PDA

View Full Version : Not only did Orton play himself out of a job...

HORSEPOWER 56
10-22-2011, 08:12 AM
He also played himself out of any and all trade value. According to Klis, the Broncos would've taken a 7th round pick for Orton at the trade deadline... nobody bit.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3214&line=217247&spln=1

Shazam!
10-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Oakland didnt want him for a 4th or 5th.

No team knocked for a 7th.

Backup or out of the NFL.

Man, he sucks.

Dzone
10-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Holy crap. He aint worth shit. Nobody would even cough up a 7th? omg!
I say cut Orton now and bring Weber up from the taxi squad.
Orton is a freakin joke.

BroncoStud
10-22-2011, 08:42 AM
But doesn't he give us the best chance to win...?

Juriga72
10-22-2011, 08:48 AM
KO8 and Top are somewhere crying in their Apple-tini's... Man. How would you like to be on those phone calls?

Aug-
Ko's agent-"Kyle... Listen.. man we got them by the short hairs"
Kyle- "Dude.. I SO KNOW!!!!!

Sept-
Ko's agent-"See I told you they would cave and make you the starter"
Kyle-"Dude.. I SO KNOW!!!!!"

Oct-
Ko's agent-"Uh... Houston we have a problem"
Kyle-"Dude... I SO KNOW!!!!"

silkamilkamonico
10-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Only reaffirms my thoughts as Denver being the absolute worst run organization in the NFL at the moment.

Shazam!
10-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Only reaffirms my thoughts as Denver being the absolute worst run organization in the NFL at the moment.

They're cleaning up the mess caused/made/left by McD.

Starting Tebow is the first step... see what he has and if he can be our QB for the future, and if not Elway and Co. gotta go after one with a fierceness in 2012.

By the way, before I forget.

You know who sucks?

Kyle !@#$ing Orton.

camdisco24
10-22-2011, 09:46 AM
So basically he screwed us, and himself.... good going Kyle.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2011, 09:51 AM
He didn't screw us, McD screwed us with the contract extension. He didn't screw himself, because he still got more money than he would have had he signed elsewhere. No player in the NFL would have accepted that offer by Miami.

McD is the one that made the deal.

silkamilkamonico
10-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Starting Tebow is the first step... see what he has and if he can be our QB for the future, and if not Elway and Co. gotta go after one with a fierceness in 2012.

You know who sucks?

Kyle !@#$ing Orton.

They're "attempting" too. Let's not completely ignore the fact that they haven't exactly shown any steps in the right direction, considering they were probably the only people who thought Kyle Orton should have been starting all along.

Let's not also forget that John Elway still believes Orton should be starting, but because the pressure has been so great against him, they are "forced" to go with Tebow.

BroncoJoe
10-22-2011, 09:59 AM
They're "attempting" too. Let's not completely ignore the fact that they haven't exactly shown any steps in the right direction, considering they were probably the only people who thought Kyle Orton should have been starting all along.

Let's not also forget that John Elway still believes Orton should be starting, but because the pressure has been so great against him, they are "forced" to go with Tebow.

Proof?

Nomad
10-22-2011, 10:04 AM
He didn't screw us, McD screwed us with the contract extension. He didn't screw himself, because he still got more money than he would have had he signed elsewhere. No player in the NFL would have accepted that offer by Miami.

True about McD! I believe Orton has given up too by the pressure. Oh well, Orton needs to go enjoy his little girl and wife and find other employment.

Northman
10-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Im not shocked. How it was we had people on this forum who thought he was worth a 2nd and 3rd if still quite baffling. Denver should of just cut his ass at the beginning of the season and went with the Tebow project from the word go instead of trying to blow smoke up everyone's ass about him being the best chance to win BS and saying how great he looked in practice.

claymore
10-22-2011, 10:17 AM

You know who sucks?

Kyle !@#$ing Orton.

Word. This disaster will take time. I hope Tebow is the answer, if not, I hope we CLEARLY know that he isnt... soon.

Nomad
10-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Word. This disaster will take time. I hope Tebow is the answer, if not, I hope we CLEARLY know that he isnt... soon.

Miami's defense should be an easy first test. Hopefully he makes that way!

Tned
10-22-2011, 10:23 AM

Not sure what you mean about accepting the offer from Miami. In recent weeks, more has been reported on the aborted trade and all those reports are consistent with Oton's agent and the Miami front office agreeing on a three year, $27 million extension, but then the owner nixed it, because he said he didn't want to continue over paying, average, stop-gap quarterbacks (or something to that effect).

BORDERLINE
10-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Not sure what you mean about accepting the offer from Miami. In recent weeks, more has been reported on the aborted trade and all those reports are consistent with Oton's agent and the Miami front office agreeing on a three year, $27 million extension, but then the owner nixed it, because he said he didn't want to continue over paying, average, stop-gap quarterbacks (or something to that effect).

great move by the owner. That's a lot of cash for a guy like Orton.

Nomad
10-22-2011, 10:36 AM
great move by the owner. That's a lot of cash for a guy like Orton.

True, but Rav was right as well about McD & BRONCOS FO should of never given Orton that contract extension either.

Shazam!
10-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I can't believe that not that long ago I actually believed in McDaniels and what he was doing and Kyle O. That 6-0 start seems like it was 10 years ago.

silkamilkamonico
10-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Proof?

His comments after Denver made the move to start Tebow. His press conference thread is floating around here somewhere.

silkamilkamonico
10-22-2011, 10:57 AM
People need to remember who's coaching us. A defensive "guru" in John Fox who has shown no promise in even turning that around, let alone our god forsaken offense.

John Harbaugh has his clown of a football team playing to a 5-1 record. John Fox is getting clowned week in and week out on both sides of the football.

Shazam!
10-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Now now... SF has a horde of top draft picks throughout their roster. Denver's roster was depleted through bad trades and bad drafts from the McD regime. This will take a few Seasons to take shape and get more talent on their roster.

I WISH Denver had Frank Gore...

Cugel
10-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Apparently all you guys are guilty of NOT READING THE ARTICLE! :coffee:

It's hardly a surprise that no team stepped up to take on the roughly $5 million left on Orton's 2011 salary. He would have been tasked with learning a new offense, minimizing his impact on any team the rest of the way. An impending free agent, Orton will not be back in Denver in 2012.

IT's not a surprise in September at the trading deadline that nobody wanted Orton and his $5 million remaining on his contract for 10 games.

But, that doesn't mean nobody would have traded for him in August. The Broncos were trying to negotiate a 2nd or 3rd rounder with Miami. That was too high.

The Dolphins had the choice of either signing Orton or giving up on the 2011 season. They choose to PUNT and try and draft Andrew Luck. Well, if you are a Miami season ticket holder are you happy that the owner made that decision?

You're not getting your money back!

And they might not wind up with Luck after all anyway because the Colts are also 0-6 and don't look like they are winning a game anytime soon either. Any team with an 0-6 or 1-5 record's chances of landing Luck are about 1 in 5 at this point.

It only takes a couple of meaningless victories late in the year to take you completely out of the race. And so Minnesota, Jacksonville, the Chiefs (who face a brutal schedule down the stretch) the Sea Chickens, the Cardinals, the Broncos, and the Rams all have a roughly equal shot at Luck alongside Miami and Indy.

There are EIGHT teams with only 1 win at this point!

So, their decision not to trade for Orton is not looking like a brilliant strategy right now.

TXBRONC
10-22-2011, 11:11 AM

I think the key word are overpaying. It doesn't sound like it was the fact that it was Orton the player it was the thought paying a journeyman quarterback like he's like he's what top 10? Also while the owner of the Dolphins put the nix on the deal wasn't Orton insistant on taking a deal less than what he is being paid this year?

Cugel
10-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I think the key word are overpaying. It doesn't sound like it was the fact that it was Orton the player it was the thought paying a journeyman quarterback like he's like he's what top 10? Also while the owner of the Dolphins put the nix on the deal wasn't Orton insistant on taking a deal less than what he is being paid this year?

Orton was going to be a starter and he wanted starter money which is what he was being paid and what he deserved. He's not being overpaid. The owner wanted to give up on the 2010 season and go draft a rookie QB in 2012.

As I pointed out there are two problems with that.

One, you are screwing the season ticket holders -- and they are not happy about that there were a lot of unsold tickets for Sunday's game until Tebow was announced as the starter. Then they sold 10,000 tickets to people who wanted to see Tebow, NOT Dolphins fans!

Two, your chances of landing Luck even if you manage to lose almost all your remaining games are no better than 1 in 3 since the Rams and Colts are equally bad.

Your chances of winning a couple of meaningless games somewhere along the line are pretty good (you can't order the team not to try because everybody on that team is fighting for a job --- they want to win and the coach wants to win, Sparano is almost certain to be fired unless they put together a winning streak at some point, so landing Luck isn't going to help HIM -- he'd rather have 3 or 4 "meaningless" wins right now!)

What fans have to remember is that the draft order can change drastically in the last weeks of the season. (Suppose the Colts start winning a couple down the stretch for instance?)

Even if the Dolphins went 0-16 they might not get Luck if either the Rams or Colts lost every game too. Then there would be a coin-flip.

Well, the Chargers finished with the same record as the Colts but lost a coin flip and while the Colts got Peyton Manning, the Chargers wound up with Ryan Leaf! Was it worth losing all those games for the Chargers?

Tned
10-22-2011, 11:23 AM

I agree with this. While a QB isn't going to become polished in 14 games, hopefully we have some real clear indications between his three games last year and hopefully the rest of this year.

I hope he proves his critics wrong and is a much better NFL "quarterback" than the talking heads expect, because chances are we can't win the Luck sweepstakes and picking QBs is a crap shoot. However, if he doesn't show that, I hope he's bad enough that the Broncos don't decide to go another year with him.

One way or the other, I hope the Tebow nonsense is over.

TXBRONC
10-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Apparently all you guys are guilty of NOT READING THE ARTICLE! :coffee:

IT's not a surprise in September at the trading deadline that nobody wanted Orton and his $5 million remaining on his contract for 10 games.

But, that doesn't mean nobody would have traded for him in August. The Broncos were trying to negotiate a 2nd or 3rd rounder with Miami. That was too high.

The Dolphins had the choice of either signing Orton or giving up on the 2011 season. They choose to PUNT and try and draft Andrew Luck. Well, if you are a Miami season ticket holder are you happy that the owner made that decision?

You're not getting your money back!

And they might not wind up with Luck after all anyway because the Colts are also 0-6 and don't look like they are winning a game anytime soon either. Any team with an 0-6 or 1-5 record's chances of landing Luck are about 1 in 5 at this point.

It only takes a couple of meaningless victories late in the year to take you completely out of the race. And so Minnesota, Jacksonville, the Chiefs (who face a brutal schedule down the stretch) the Sea Chickens, the Cardinals, the Broncos, and the Rams all have a roughly equal shot at Luck alongside Miami and Indy.

There are EIGHT teams with only 1 win at this point!

So, their decision not to trade for Orton is not looking like a brilliant strategy right now.

What you just said doesn't match with what you quote nor what happened in July. First of all every team needing a quarterback didn't want to pay Orton $9 million dollars. At least that's what I remember reading. So I don't see how that makes Denver's front office incompetent. They can't force another team to take on his salary. Besides there is only one other team that I know of that showed even the remostest interest in possibly trading for Orton and that was Cardinals who only saw Orton as their second choice.

TXBRONC
10-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Orton was going to be a starter and he wanted starter money which is what he was being paid and what he deserved. He's not being overpaid. The owner wanted to give up on the 2010 season and go draft a rookie QB in 2012.

As I pointed out there are two problems with that.

One, you are screwing the season ticket holders -- and they are not happy about that there were a lot of unsold tickets for Sunday's game until Tebow was announced as the starter. Then they sold 10,000 tickets to people who wanted to see Tebow, NOT Dolphins fans!

Two, your chances of landing Luck even if you manage to lose almost all your remaining games are no better than 1 in 3 since the Rams and Colts are equally bad.

Your chances of winning a couple of meaningless games somewhere along the line are pretty good (you can't order the team not to try because everybody on that team is fighting for a job --- they want to win and the coach wants to win, Sparano is almost certain to be fired unless they put together a winning streak at some point, so landing Luck isn't going to help HIM -- he'd rather have 3 or 4 "meaningless" wins right now!)

What fans have to remember is that the draft order can change drastically in the last weeks of the season. (Suppose the Colts start winning a couple down the stretch for instance?)

Even if the Dolphins went 0-16 they might not get Luck if either the Rams or Colts lost every game too. Then there would be a coin-flip.

Well, the Chargers finished with the same record as the Colts but lost a coin flip and while the Colts got Peyton Manning, the Chargers wound up with Ryan Leaf! Was it worth losing all those games for the Chargers?

The owner of the Dolphins thought Orton was being over paid. I would sure like see proof that the owner of the Dolphins gave up on the season. What he said doesn't give any indication that he gave up on the season.

Tned
10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I can't believe that not that long ago I actually believed in McDaniels and what he was doing and Kyle O. That 6-0 start seems like it was 10 years ago.

A variation of Stockholm syndrome. Even though he went scorched earth on the Broncos roster, with nearly every one of his moves being a failure in hindsight (most didn't need hindsight, in all realit) and put together a team that has the fewest wins in the last 31 games.

The crazy part, and reason I mention Stockholm syndrome, is that many fans still defend many of his player moves, in isolation. Fan A defends trade 1 and 2, but not 3. Fan B defends trade 2, but not 1 and 3, etc.

The guy was way over his head being in full control and Pat Bowlen/Joe Ellis made a huge mistake firing the Goodmans and giving McDaniels full control. If he had been just a head coach, the team would likely be in a far different place right now.

Nomad
10-22-2011, 11:38 AM
The owner of the Dolphins thought Orton was being over paid. I would sure like see proof that the owner of the Dolphins gave up on the season. What he said doesn't give any indication that he gave up on the season.

Yeah, i heard on FSR (some late night show) that Brandon Marshall is purposely missing the catches!:coffee:

The Suck for Luck conspiracy theorists:lol:

BroncoJoe
10-22-2011, 11:38 AM
His comments after Denver made the move to start Tebow. His press conference thread is floating around here somewhere.

I'd have to disagree. I live here and see/listen to all the sports media. I have yet to see anything other than positive comments from him.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

TXBRONC
10-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I'd have to disagree. I live here and see/listen to all the sports media. I have yet to see anything other than positive comments from him.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I stream a couple Denver's sports stations and I've heard them speculate that it was Elway that wanted Orton to remain the starter but I haven't heard anything out of Elway's mouth that he had a problem with change.

claymore
10-22-2011, 12:49 PM
A variation of Stockholm syndrome. Even though he went scorched earth on the Broncos roster, with nearly every one of his moves being a failure in hindsight (most didn't need hindsight, in all realit) and put together a team that has the fewest wins in the last 31 games.

The crazy part, and reason I mention Stockholm syndrome, is that many fans still defend many of his player moves, in isolation. Fan A defends trade 1 and 2, but not 3. Fan B defends trade 2, but not 1 and 3, etc.

The guy was way over his head being in full control and Pat Bowlen/Joe Ellis made a huge mistake firing the Goodmans and giving McDaniels full control. If he had been just a head coach, the team would likely be in a far different place right now.

And his offense sucked. He proved he could baffle the shit out of a 70 year old man with a power point slide. Thats his only genius. Office 2007. :laugh:

silkamilkamonico
10-22-2011, 02:59 PM
McDaniels offense might have "sucked", but it was about 25 current NFL teams better than Fox's garbage scheme.

Shazam!
10-22-2011, 03:06 PM
McDaniels offense might have "sucked", but it was about 25 current NFL teams better than Fox's garbage scheme.

Fox is working with the same group McD had essentially. Hopefully T2 will provide a spark.

silkamilkamonico
10-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Fox is working with the same group McD had essentially. Hopefully T2 will provide a spark.

Yes, and statistically speaking, Denver was top 5 in yards up until the point when McDaniels was fired. Currently Denver was 26th in offense, statistically speaking.

Our offense under McDaniels had some glaring holes and needed drastic improvement, but if I knew I would have to watch the garbage that we have currently, I might have watched them with a little more open mind.

Shazam!
10-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Hopefully the change at QB will not only provide some much needed energy but give the broncos a few new wrinkles as they have to respect T2 while on the move. If he can straighten out his throwing as far as accuracy and be a smart passer with better mechanics... There's still 11 games left. They could have something to build on or playing for 2012... including at QB.

scott.475
10-22-2011, 03:34 PM
And his offense sucked. He proved he could baffle the shit out of a 70 year old man with a power point slide. Thats his only genius. Office 2007. :laugh:

I'll tell you, I feel sorry for Spags and the rest of the staff (except McD) in St. Louis. McD clearly had them awestruck with his presentation as well, and now he is going to be responsible for that entire staff being fired probably. McD sucks SO BAD, his St. Louis offense sucks just as bad now. He should have never gotten that close to the reins of power again. At this point, I don't know what McD should even qualify for on a coaching staff. Coordinator is above his ability, don't think I'd even trust him as a position coach. What a monstrosity he is.

I was listening to John Clayton on his local show this morning, and someone called about the Broncos. He really took it to McD, talking about how he'd blown up the Broncos, and now isn't getting it done with the Rams. He did say he liked the direction the Broncos were headed, but it was going to take a while because of the disaster McD left in his wake. Honestly, I don't know if someone could do any more damage to a team if damaging the team was thir actual goal, it is totally unbelievable what he did in just under 2 years...unreal.

scott.475
10-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes, and statistically speaking, Denver was top 5 in yards up until the point when McDaniels was fired. Currently Denver was 26th in offense, statistically speaking.

How many wins did all those wicked good statistics generate for us again?

Dreadnought
10-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll tell you, I feel sorry for Spags and the rest of the staff (except McD) in St. Louis. McD clearly had them awestruck with his presentation as well, and now he is going to be responsible for that entire staff being fired probably. McD sucks SO BAD, his St. Louis offense sucks just as bad now. He should have never gotten that close to the reins of power again. At this point, I don't know what McD should even qualify for on a coaching staff. Coordinator is above his ability, don't think I'd even trust him as a position coach. What a monstrosity he is.

I was listening to John Clayton on his local show this morning, and someone called about the Broncos. He really took it to McD, talking about how he'd blown up the Broncos, and now isn't getting it done with the Rams. He did say he liked the direction the Broncos were headed, but it was going to take a while because of the disaster McD left in his wake. Honestly, I don't know if someone could do any more damage to a team if damaging the team was thir actual goal, it is totally unbelievable what he did in just under 2 years...unreal.

:salute: Co-signed. I know we shouldn't wish ill on another person, but I think I'm more or less OK hoping McDaniels develops some condition that is irksome but not serious. Piles, or an itchy rash in a sensitive area, or maybe ED. He ruined 2 football seasons and maybe counting, though I am pretty optimistic about what's going on now.

dogfish
10-22-2011, 04:56 PM

no doubt. . . in st. louis, they're putting up almost the exact same yardage numbers as last year-- and scoring just over half as many points. . . :lol:

last year they were 18.1 points and 302 yards per game-- this year they're 308 yards per game, and 9.8 points. . . less than ten points per game-- dead last in the league. . . even the flaming trainwreck in miami is putting up 15 a game. . . :laugh:

and it is a shame-- i think spagnuolo's a damn fine coach (other than the decision to hire the mini-hoodie), and he had that team on a fast track turnaround until bringing in McDisaster. . . in a couple of months, his toxic presence and brainless scheme have almost ruined that franchise. . . they really should can the clown now, while they still can-- before everybody goes down in flaming ruin with him. . . dude seriously needs to go be a division 3 O-coordinator, or a QB coach in the arena league. . .

CrazyHorse
10-22-2011, 06:15 PM
There's only one solution. McDaniels to Oakland!!!

broncobryce
10-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Just give it time. Rich gannon said he thought this would happen, with no tc and a difficult new offense bradford may struggle

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

HORSEPOWER 56
10-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Just give it time. Rich gannon said he thought this would happen, with no tc and a difficult new offense bradford may struggle

Bradford is struggling because McDaniel's scheme (more specifically, his play calling) sucks ass and he's a terrible, overbearing, arrogant, cocky, jackass that is a terrible coach. Remember the story about McDaniels and Brady not talking to each other for a week? Now, put a second year QB who doesn't already have 3 Superbowl rings in that scenario and you get a guy who gets run over and told to shut the **** up and go make a play.

I'd bet Bradford probably hates McDaniels much like Kurt Warner hated Todd Haley - he's a DICK!

dogfish
10-22-2011, 08:24 PM

gannon should tell that to jim harbaugh. . .

BroncoStud
10-22-2011, 08:54 PM
McDaniels along with most of the New England Patriots coaches and executives from 2001-2011 owe their success to Tom Brady. Without him NONE of them have even sniffed a Super Bowl.

McDaniels was never a genius, he was just fortunate enough to be the OC when Tom Brady hit his professional peak.

Sparky The Sun Devil
10-22-2011, 10:52 PM
He demanded 9million a year from miami, their owner didnt want to pay that much.

Dude still got a few million per year as an extension.

How pissed is his wife?

hamrob
10-22-2011, 11:23 PM
This is such a bunch of dung.

Kyle Orton was never a great QB...and he's never had great QB potential. However, there were those who wanted to believe the hype, based largely on the analysts who hated the thought of Tim Tebow proving them wrong.

But, Kyle Orton is a decent QB. He's better than probably 10 starting QB's in the NFL. That's pretty damn good. Yes, there are better backups out there, but not many. That being said, he's got a lot of more years ahead of him in the NFL. He will get a contract next year for more than the VET minimum. Probably like 2-3m a year.

Teams are not going to give up high draft picks for guys in their last year of their contracts. Not unless they are a proven stud.

The problem with Orton has always been, he will never be a top notch QB...and to win in this league, that's what you need.

BroncoStud
10-23-2011, 01:07 AM
This is such a bunch of dung.

Kyle Orton was never a great QB...and he's never had great QB potential. However, there were those who wanted to believe the hype, based largely on the analysts who hated the thought of Tim Tebow proving them wrong.

But, Kyle Orton is a decent QB. He's better than probably 10 starting QB's in the NFL. That's pretty damn good. Yes, there are better backups out there, but not many. That being said, he's got a lot of more years ahead of him in the NFL. He will get a contract next year for more than the VET minimum. Probably like 2-3m a year.

Teams are not going to give up high draft picks for guys in their last year of their contracts. Not unless they are a proven stud.

The problem with Orton has always been, he will never be a top notch QB...and to win in this league, that's what you need.

Which 10 starting QBs is Kyle Orton better than? Henne? No. Cassel? No. Freeman? No. Sanchez? No. McCoy? Maybe. Dalton? Maybe. Palmer? No. Hasselback? No. McNabb? Yes. Grossman/Beck? Maybe. T. Jackson? Maybe, the Seahawks don't think so. Gabbert? Yes, for now.

I think it would be very hard to find even 5 starters that Orton is CLEARLY better than right now in the NFL.