PDA

View Full Version : Starting RB going into next season.

Tebow4Ever
12-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I know its too soon to tell, and the group has much rehabbing to do. Though, I am wondering as of now given the play of this season. Who do we open with at tailback? Is it Torain? Is he still the secret weapon back there that he was drafted to be? Is it Selvin Young who may be lucky to call himself out at 500 yards next season? I wouldnt mind keeping a Torain/Hillis setup, I think Andre Hall and Selvin Young need to be shown the door. I would like to see more from Anthony Aldridge next year as well as PJ Pope. Oh, Tater Bell can go back to selling cell phones. Wouldnt bother me much....

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Knowshon Moreno, Beanie Wells or whatever high draft pick. James Davis!? Ah, those are draftees. Just watched Tatum Bell on CBS4. He deserves a spot on this team. At least he played with heart. A slice of humble pie can do a lot for a guy. Hope Denver doesn't think Torain (even though I had high hopes) is going to be good enough to be the guy next year. No need to settle for average when you can get the best if you just had the balls to pull the trigger.

Tebow4Ever
12-29-2008, 10:18 AM
What are we drafting at Ciscero? Any Idea?

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 10:19 AM
What are we drafting at Ciscero? Any Idea?

We have #12. Check the draft forum bro, I just put up a big post! :beer:

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Our two leading rushers were power runners. Hillis and Pittman. I say we start there or aquire a RB with the same tools. As far as I am concerned. Hillis should be one half of a tandem and share a bulk of the carries. Not sure who the other half is yet. Maybe Torain, maybe a new talent yet to be aquired? We'll see............

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Knowshon Moreno, Beanie Wells or whatever high draft pick. James Davis!? Ah, those are draftees. Just watched Tatum Bell on CBS4. He deserves a spot on this team. At least he played with heart. A slice of humble pie can do a lot for a guy. Hope Denver doesn't think Torain (even though I had high hopes) is going to be good enough to be the guy next year. No need to settle for average when you can get the best if you just had the balls to pull the trigger.

Yes, Wells or Moreno!
Keep Tatum Bell too!
This is exactly what I want to hear.

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I think Tatum has earned a spot for next year. As for the rest? We could bring back Jim Brown in his prime and still lose a minimum of 6 games a year until this defense can play even mediocre football. That fiasco last night underscored that point for anybody who watched it. The off season needs to address defense, first, last, and throughout.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Defense can still be addressed with making a running back a high priority as well. People need to realize that.

jrelway
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM

i would love to have knowshon on this team to compliment hillis on the run game. i hope shanny aint relying on torain as injury prone as that mug is. damnit we could of had tashard choice.

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Defense can still be addressed with making a running back a high priority as well. People need to realize that.

I respectfully disagree. We have a few guys on the roster who we already know are OK. Not great, but OK - and I think Hillis might be more than that given a proper chance. The defense is very much not OK, and we have so many worthless chumps on that side of the ball that it will require total concentration to fix it.

Chris90210
12-29-2008, 11:19 AM

I don't know if that would be such a good idea. Maybe toward the end of the draft or a free agent we could pick up another and speed RB to share with Hillis but our defense is in shambles. We really need to rebuild most of that side of the ball from the ground up. Its not been good all year and the last few games have shown there is really not any growth or progress being made with it. I think after everyone heals up and we start conditioning them well the RB situation will work itself out.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Mike Shanahan said Hillis was going to become an H-Back next year and be in the role he was drafted for. He isn't a running back solution, never has been, never will be. People need to drop the pipe and stop smoking in the hype. Furthermore, having okay guys at running back doesn't mean anything. There is a reason they were low draft picks, undrafted and couldn't hack it elsewhere in the NFL. We have "OK" guys on defense too, yet you're calling for them to be replaced?

Cutler tossed the ball 620 times (more actually) this year. He can't do that again. Relying on guys like Torain, Pope, Young, Bell, Pittman, Hall and whomever else is in the infirmary is a ******* stupid idea and bad football. You can't apply the logic you are to the defense and blatantly ignore it offensively at running back.

Why make this a false dilemma? It isn't one. We need someone who can tote the rock. Based on what happened this year, I am not confident in anyone to be able to make our running game feared or respected in the NFL. Nobody fears who we have. Not that a rookie would be feared right away, but getting a Moreno or Wells (and others) on this team could go a long way for the longevity of this offense and for the team in the future.

It's called finding a balance, and without a running back worth a shit it'll never happen.

Both can be addressed. People are wrong thinking otherwise. Whether or not both will be addressed adequately is a whole other question. Denver has the picks and resources to get it done. It's just having the balls and brains to do it.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know if that would be such a good idea. Maybe toward the end of the draft or a free agent we could pick up another and speed RB to share with Hillis but our defense is in shambles. We really need to rebuild most of that side of the ball from the ground up. Its not been good all year and the last few games have shown there is really not any growth or progress being made with it. I think after everyone heals up and we start conditioning them well the RB situation will work itself out.

Once again, Hillis is suited for a traditional H-Back role. Secondly, why is it fair to settle for average running back talent but have to force a hand on defensive talent? We can get both. It isn't rocket science.

Free Agency + 10 draft picks = Opportunity

Shit, it is easy.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:25 AM
And, FWIW -- we don't have to draft a running back at #12. I wouldn't be adverse to it. There will be enough talent at RB in this years draft to find someone much better than who we have well into the fourth round. I'd just prefer to get a highly rated guy who has great pro potential instead of settling for someone like a Ryan Torain (who showed flashes) yet was inconsistent and had an injury history.

I absolutely think defense is our number one priority, but we can have a 1(A) as well -- and that's getting a stable running game. Like I said, let's not make this an ultimatum. It's stupid to do so.

G_Money
12-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I respectfully disagree. We have a few guys on the roster who we already know are OK. Not great, but OK - and I think Hillis might be more than that given a proper chance. The defense is very much not OK, and we have so many worthless chumps on that side of the ball that it will require total concentration to fix it.

If we traded back from #12 to say #18 and got an extra 2nd, would you do it then?

At 18 there will still be a top-flight LB or safety. This draft has enough of them that one will be there. Then we can add a RB in the 2nd and either the other of the MLB/S that we need or a DL with our other 2nd round pick.

We wouldn’t lose a single pick to do it, and would be paying less to the 1st round pick we do select.

Or is it your contention that if we added one pick, or two, or 5, they should all go to the D?

~G

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 11:27 AM
What if we draft the next Adrian Peterson or Ladanian Tomlinson!?!

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm guessing it is the latter. Denver doesn't even have to trade back to address the needs. The depth in the areas we need help at are great all over the board. We got pretty lucky. Denver could just sit on the picks they have and kick ass with a little hard scouting and luck. We've done fine the past few years, I expect the Goodman Guys and Co. to do well once more for us.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
What if we draft the next Adrian Peterson or Ladanian Tomlinson!?!

Come on CrazyHorse, you can't address all the needs we have with free agency and ten draft picks. You're dumb.

claymore
12-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Besides Hillis, Torrain, and Bell I dont want any of them back. They are all boo boo bears. We need a real running back. I dont care what anyone says. We will not find another TD, nor is our Offensive line as good as the one he ran behind.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Claymore, I am on the phone with Clinton Portis right now and he says, "What is up Gaymo?" and says he wants to play in Denver. Shanahan and Goodman are on speed dial for me as well. It's time to play Let's Make a Deal! (Bend Over Dan Synder)

claymore
12-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Claymore, I am on the phone with Clinton Portis right now and he says, "What is up Gaymo?" and says he wants to play in Denver. Shanahan and Goodman are on speed dial for me as well. It's time to play Let's Make a Deal! (Bend Over Dan Synder)

I would love to have him, but I dont know what I would trade to get him.

We wasted the best year of Champs, and Portis life with this trade. And I had a full set of black hair before the trade.

I think I found a gray pube yesterday.

Den21vsBal19
12-29-2008, 11:37 AM
I think this years injury list will have put Shanny right off wrapping up to much cash in a RB........................we won't take one til the 2nd day

G_Money
12-29-2008, 11:37 AM
I hate to say it, but if we drafted the next Adrian Peterson we’d lose the turnover battle even worse than we do now.

We need a RB who never fumbles unless we plan on occasionally causing a fumble ourselves or accidentally intercepting a pass once in a while. ;)

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I think this years injury list will have put Shanny right off wrapping up to much cash in a RB........................we won't take one til the 2nd day

If we wait to the third round and get James Davis from Clemson at #79, that works for me. We can't be scared to draft a running back or invest a high selection in one because of the injuries that happened to our guys this year. It was just a bad year. Getting a guy like Moreno who has top flight pro potential, has been healthy all throughout college and would be signed for six years for a solid deal at #12 isn't a bad idea. Just like getting a franchise LT in Ryan Clady outside the top ten last year. Apply the same logic everywhere. Please people.

Poet
12-29-2008, 11:43 AM
It doesn't matter. As long as your guys lack a real number one RB you will have a productive running game with a bunch of bad players at the position.

For Christ's sake, Tatum Bell was wanted by no one in the league, being Mr. Cell phone and STILL was productive yesterday. Who your back is happens to be irrelevant.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, we sure ran effectively last night. When the Chargers were playing prevent defense and dropping 8 into coverage and rushing three. Those two tosses and shovel passes sound like a consistent recipe for success if you ask me. Oh wait. Not.

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Come on CrazyHorse, you can't address all the needs we have with free agency and ten draft picks. You're dumb.

Shanahan has to grow some balls and draft a top flight RB. I'm tired of his little games where he acts smarter than everone else and outthinks himself. There was a reason other teams passed up Torain. It was his injury history.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Shanahan has to grow some balls and draft a top flight RB. I'm tired of his little games where he acts smarter than everone else and outthinks himself. There was a reason other teams passed up Torain. It was his injury history.

CrazyHorse, I am forwarding these posts to Mike Shanahan. I hope you set him straight.

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Shit, it is easy.

http://www.observer.com/files/imagecache/article/files/wallstreet460.jpg

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Why I am not getting paid for my takes is beyond me. This information has to be as good as anything Ted Dickquist blew up Shanny's rear in his tenure with the Broncos. I'll talk NFL Draft and go scout players all day for 30k a year and a nice computer. Stock options too.

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I hate to say it, but if we drafted the next Adrian Peterson we’d lose the turnover battle even worse than we do now.

We need a RB who never fumbles unless we plan on occasionally causing a fumble ourselves or accidentally intercepting a pass once in a while. ;)

~G
Hey! Maybe I meant the bears Adrian Peterson. Not.

Yeah. Peterson has butterfingers worse than Tatum ever did. I should know since I watch every game. He seems to get banged up a lot too. Chester Taylor would look good in Orange and Blue BTW.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 11:52 AM
What about that Jahrhu Clalrick dude? LMFAO.

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Hillis was by far our best running back this year. No way that can be ignored. He has shown he can contribute in this league. I pray Shanny takes this into consideration depsite the commenst made earlier in the year.

Chris90210
12-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Once again, Hillis is suited for a traditional H-Back role. Secondly, why is it fair to settle for average running back talent but have to force a hand on defensive talent? We can get both. It isn't rocket science.

Shit, it is easy.
I don't know I think we have something special with hillis. Just something about him. I was excited from the get go when he came to denver but was afraid he may not get to play much but after everything went down the way it did and he got to start I couldn't believe it. I'd be curious to see what he does in the off-season and training camp next year. I really wish we could have finished the season with him to get a real good feel from him. He may not be a juker on his feet but he is a bruiser and has great hands. Like I said I really wish he didn't get hurt against KC. We were really starting to get a balance and a chemistry on the field(between jay and a back) that has not been around since the start of the year.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 01:39 PM
We do have something special with Hillis. A unique player who can play several positions. He's a typical H-Back. He can get 15 touches a game and do damage. What he isn't for us is a solution at running back. Game over. End of conversation.

Chris90210
12-29-2008, 03:33 PM
We do have something special with Hillis. A unique player who can play several positions. He's a typical H-Back. He can get 15 touches a game and do damage. What he isn't for us is a solution at running back. Game over. End of conversation.

hillis by himself no. hillis sharing touches with another back absolutely.