PDA

View Full Version : How good was Andre Hall in college?

Medford Bronco
10-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I keep hearing his name

Was Andre Hall a good college player? Is he as fast as Selvin Young

Please provide analysis to a green person when it comes to Hall

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I keep hearing his name

Was Andre Hall a good college player? Is he as fast as Selvin Young

Please provide analysis to a green person when it comes to Hall

I heard that he was a good college player.

I don't know if he is faster than Young, he might be, but Selvin would still be our best option in my opinion even if Hall is a little faster.

lex
10-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I heard that he was a good college player.

I don't know if he is faster than Young, he might be, but Selvin would still be our best option in my opinion even if Hall is a little faster.

Ive been constantly hearing that he is faster than Young.

Grover
10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/story/2007/6/25/1211

The above was a nice summary of all our running backs done before the initial cuts this pre-season. Hall's college stats are listed.

What struck me is that he had zero fumbles in 480 attempts. Looking further, he had a nice average per carry, and was able to bust some long ones. Heck, he looks better than Selvin Young on paper, although I've never seen him play.

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Here is a draft profile for Hall. IT seems to mirror what the Broncos ST coach has said about Hall as far as postives. He has a low center of gravity and keeps his legs moving. Reading this, my biggest concern is his size and how he will pass protect. Something Cutler will need. Especailly since Hall is green and may not pick up Blitz or make proper pre-snap reads. The link also has all his stats from South Florida U.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draft/prospect?contentId=5527596&year=2006

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a very thick frame, a low center of gravity, above average lateral agility, good balance and fluid pick-and-slide ability...Shows good bounce in his stride and has the loose hips to redirect and the vision to quickly spot the cutback lanes...His low pad level, balance and patience waiting for blocks to develop make him slippery for the initial tackler to bring down...Runs with good forward lean to get additional yardage and has the burst needed to reach the corner when the inside rush lanes are clogged...Uses his blocks well, especially when running in space...Good underneath receiver with the hands to extend and pluck away from the frame...Has natural run instincts and shows very good courage trying to get through the pile...Hard-driver who is very competitive fighting for yardage.

Negatives: Has marginal size for the position, which is evident when he gets run over or pushed around while trying to block in pass protection...Has good leg drive and lower body strength, but because of size limitations he is not going to push the pile (makes a good effort though)...Can get into the second level quickly, but does not have that extra gear or sudden burst to win foot races going long distances...Has good flexibility and valid hands as a receiver, but was rarely used on long routes (saw passes mostly on check downs, flares and screens).

Hall has a shorter-than-ideal frame, but has very good overall muscle definition, thick chest, broad shoulders and above average lower body strength. He has decent speed to make plays along the perimeter, but is regarded more as a downhill runner because of his ability to get the tough yardage and move the pile running between tackles. His size and low center of gravity makes him a slippery back who is difficult to bring down upon initial contact.

Hall has good balance and lateral movement. He shows the foot agility to pick and slide and the acceleration to quickly get into the second level. He generates a good bounce through cutback lanes and has a natural feel attacking the holes. He scans the field well and is quick to recognize coverages. His patience allows him to let blocks develop and hit the hole once he sees it developing.

Because of his low pad level, he generates the leverage and power to break arm tackles, but lacks the size to run over defenders. He really is not considered a pounder, but he has the ability to drive hard up the seams. His cutting ability and vision lets him slip off blocks and redirect to turn the outside corner. He shows valid foot speed into the second level, but might not be able to win as many long distance foot races in the pros as he did in college. When he plants and turns up field, he displays good body lean to gain additional yardage.

While he might lack the second gear to take the ball for long gains, he will make sharp lateral cuts and use his blocks to move the chains effectively. While most smaller backs have ball security issues, he shows very good urgency in protecting the ball, shifting it away from the defender and keeping it close to his chest when heading up field.

Hall is best when used on dump-offs and screens. He can get to the second level well and has the hip flexibility to separate after the catch. He has very good skills to produce yards after the catch, but his routes are limited to flares, screens and check downs rather than going for the home run ball.

Hall is an adequate cut blocker who recognizes schemes and is adequate locating and neutralizing linebackers in space. However, when asked to pick up the blitz, he can get pushed back and fail to sustain because of a lack of bulk. He will not hesitate to toss his body around, but perhaps due to size issues, he looks late trying to pick up the blitz.

Hall's ability to follow his blocks and hide through the crease makes him a very effective between-the-tackles runner. He has enough quickness and the loose hips needed to bounce outside and there will never be any fumble issues with this sure-handed runner. You would have hoped to see him more involved in the passing game, but he has the hands to make the catch and the acceleration to eat up the cushion and settle underneath.

He will never bowl over a defender as a blocker, but most halfbacks are not really relied upon to act like a lineman. Hall is instinctive and has a good feel for cutback lanes. He is a solid downhill runner, but not one who will consistently move the pile. Despite having to adjust to three different offensive systems during his college career, he has been very productive wherever he has carried the ball.

dogfish
10-05-2007, 01:49 PM
yes med, he was a good college player-- i've been waiting patiently to see if he can do anything to help us, and hopefully we'll get him involved a little in a scatback role. . .

he's too small to be a feature back at this level, but he's shifty and has good vision and instincts. . . he has good feet and makes crisp cuts, and has enough burst to be dangerous in space. . . he's reportedly a hardnosed, determined runner despite his size. . . i don't know that he was used extensively as a receiver in college, but if his hands are solid (and they must be if we're considering him as a kick returner) he has the skillset to be effective in that capacity. . .

Medford Bronco
10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
yes med, he was a good college player-- i've been waiting patiently to see if he can do anything to help us, and hopefully we'll get him involved a little in a scatback role. . .

he's too small to be a feature back at this level, but he's shifty and has good vision and instincts. . . he has good feet and makes crisp cuts, and has enough burst to be dangerous in space. . . he's reportedly a hardnosed, determined runner despite his size. . . i don't know that he was used extensively as a receiver in college, but if his hands are solid (and they must be if we're considering him as a kick returner) he has the skillset to be effective in that capacity. . .

he sounds like Quentin Griffin to me.

I hope he is better than that lol

dogfish
10-05-2007, 03:41 PM

griffin would have been fine in a change-of-pace role-- it was ridiculous to ever expect him to be a featured back. . . i like hall, and i think he can contribute given the chance-- he's clearly not going to be the starter, though. . .

rcsodak
10-05-2007, 06:50 PM

Yeh....

...that 165yds in his first start really sucked..... :rolleyes:

Q's problem, was he wasn't utilized as he should have been. Shanny wanted a rb that could run between the tackles. 5'7" rb's don't do that. He was shifty and quick.

All the pounding did for him, was suck away any/all confidence he had, thus resulting in fumblitis.

I'm glad he got to play, albeit for a short time, in the NFL.

That's any kid's dream.

You never had to worry about HIM getting suspended.......;)

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeh....

Q's problem, was he wasn't utilized as he should have been. Shanny wanted a rb that could run between the tackles. 5'7" rb's don't do that. He was shifty and quick.

All the pounding did for him, was suck away any/all confidence he had, thus resulting in fumblitis.

That's any kid's dream.

If was going to be feature back RC he had to be able to run between the tackles. And he also had to be able to break tackles which he didn't do.

Medford Bronco
10-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeh....

That's any kid's dream.

Yeah RC he did a great job in the Jax game. :rolleyes:

sorry to pick on your little Oak Sooner.

he would have been good as a Dave Meggett type player or Kevin Faulk and no more. One game does not make a career

and BTW I am not comparing him to Travis Father of the Year Henry

rcsodak
10-06-2007, 08:35 AM
If was going to be feature back RC he had to be able to run between the tackles. And he also had to be able to break tackles which he didn't do.

So Shanny isn't capable of SEEING that Q didn't have the build for being a feature back? Geez....I could, as most everybody else.

He was a change of pace rb.
He was a 3rd down rb.

How many 5'7" rb's have been "feature backs" in this league, tx? Can you name them, and their accomplishments?

Requiem / The Dagda
10-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Quentin Griffin sucked ass, that's why he's no longer participating in the NFL.

TXBRONC
10-06-2007, 06:57 PM
So Shanny isn't capable of SEEING that Q didn't have the build for being a feature back? Geez....I could, as most everybody else.

He was a change of pace rb.
He was a 3rd down rb.

How many 5'7" rb's have been "feature backs" in this league, tx? Can you name them, and their accomplishments?

His build wasn't a problem nor his stature. The inability to break tackles was.

Barry Sanders is 5'8" and we all know what he did.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
His build wasn't a problem nor his stature. The inability to break tackles was.

Barry Sanders is 5'8" and we all know what he did.

I really think there is an over emphasis of physical characteristics when it comes to players in the NFL. (I just have to laugh in regards to my age comments.) If you can play, you can play. There's more to it than size. Obviously, Dumervil isn't a protypical defensive end - but he gets the job done, regardless of his size. He's a successful NFL player, and Griffin wasn't.

The Griffin supporters (which are pretty much extinct) are Sooner homers. The fact is, Griffin didn't and doesn't have what it takes to succeed in the NFL. That's why he's no longer in it.

Regardless of our political battles, I think this is one thing you and I have always had a laugh over is the double-standard when it comes to issues like size regarding player succes, oh and the fact we've always agreed on the Q issue. ;)