PDA

View Full Version : SPANOS RANTS: Losing Won’t Make You a Winner

Tned
10-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Here's Brandon Spano's latest Thursday morning rant.

From the opinionated mind of Brandon Spano host of The Brandon Spano Show

Losing Won’t Make You a Winner

If there is one thing that I cannot stand, it is fans who want their team to lose in order to obtain a top draft choice. You wait all summer long for football to start and then after five games, you’re ready to throw it all away with aspirations of a highly touted college player joining your favorite NFL team.

Even though there have only been a few handful of players to enter the NFL in the past 30 years who made their once-bad team a contender, you are still praying that your painful season continues in agonizing fashion.

For what? JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf? Ki-Jana Carter or Tim Couch?

Those are the type of chances you’re taking. I know, Andrew Luck is a “can’t-miss” prospect. Yeah, yeah. So were David Carr and Courtney Brown. All six of the players I’ve mentioned so far were the No. 1 overall pick in their respective drafts.

The fact of the matter is that the worse your team is, the more holes that team has, the further away they are from ever winning a championship or even going to the playoffs. If you’re favorite team was one player away....
Read Spano's full rant here: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=6623

Tned
10-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I posted this comment on the Mile High Sports site to his article:

You've hit on a pet peeve of mine. There are a lot of fans that enjoy the draft, mock drafts and such as much or more than the football itself, and I 'kind of' get it with them. As to the rest, it's just too much of a damn crap shoot to assume that getting a top 5 pick, or even the top pick, will turn you from worst in the league to one of the best.

Look at the Raiders. How many times in the seven years following the Super Bowl appearance did they draft in the top 10? Top 5? How well did that work out for them?

Getting a high draft pick, even multiple in a row, is no guarantee that you will come out the other end a strong team.

As a fan that waits all off season for training camp, and then preseason and finally the season itself, I live and die a little with every win and loss. Even at the end of the year, when the Broncos are out of the playoffs, and I know intellectually that a loss will help us with a better draft pick, I still can't bring myself to hope for a loss. To root for a loss.

Instead, I want the Broncos to win that final game.

I guess it's like hitting a great drive on the final hole of a round of golf. It gives you hope of what the next round, or in this case season, will bring.

Slick
10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Where's SOCAL?

Dreadnought
10-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Where's SOCAL?

Witness Protection program since Orton got benched - assuming that the rumors that he is another HotCarl incarnation are false, as I believe they are.

Rex
10-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Who is Brandon Spano?

slim
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Who is Brandon Spano?

Dent's ticket to e-fame.

Thnikkaman
10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I need to create a dent twitter account.

FlyByU
10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
I need to create a dent twitter account.

What is Twitter?

G_Money
10-20-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm a baseball fan as well, and the farm system is a big deal in baseball. The minor leagues provide solace when the major league team is sucking. In that sense, the draft can provide some relief from a sucky NFL club...

But they still play the games. One of the reasons I'm extremely glad to see Tebow as the starter is that the actual games will have some excitement to them. You can assess for next year, but I prefer not to watch for next year. I want to watch for the games we're playing RIGHT NOW.

And goddammit isn't it Sunday yet?

~G