PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton/Backup QB 2012

DenBronx
10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
If Kyle Orton wanted to stay in Denver as a #2 QB here in Denver would you be ok with him staying? Meaning if he test the market in the offseason and sees that he can't get a starting job elsewhere then what if he just wanted to remain here as a backup? Quinn will be gone the first chance he gets.

I don't think he's the answer as a starter but he would be a solid #2. He would of course have to embrace Tebowmania and actually want to help him grow as a QB. Orton didnt want a trade to Mia and seemed to not be interested in being traded before the deadline. Remember, Tebow plays very very hard and injury is likely to happen with his style of play.

Would you as a fan want him here if he took a 2-3 low end contract to stay in Denver?

Juriga72
10-20-2011, 11:53 AM
No....

Google "Team Cancer" and Kyle's picture comes up

DenBronx
10-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Ok yeah I get why most of us fans dont want him as a starter. But lets face it. No team was beating down our doors to trade for him in the offseason or before the deadline.

If Ortons attitude could change and he would actually mentor Tebow on mechanics ect. I think it would be good just to keep him as a backup.

I don't think Orton is a "cancer" in the locker room. Just don't want him as our starter.

MileHighCrew
10-20-2011, 11:56 AM
shouldn't a back up be able to step up and win you a game? I say no

NightTerror218
10-20-2011, 12:00 PM
I rather Quinn stay....I like Quinn's attitude and all much better the Orton. Orton wont be happy and that would be a cancer in locker room. They just dont seem to get along as much and you never seem them talking on sidelines, Quinn is always talking to the both of them.

Cugel
10-20-2011, 12:20 PM
"If Kyle Orton wanted to stay in Denver as a #2 QB here in Denver. . . ."

Here's a question. "If Jessica Alba wanted to go on a hot date with you would you go out with her?"

http://womensbeauty.ucoz.net/jessy.jpg

Well, that's just as likely as Kyle Orton staying in Denver one second after he becomes a FA. :coffee:

Juriga72
10-20-2011, 12:22 PM
So your saying I have a chance?

Juriga72
10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Ok yeah I get why most of us fans dont want him as a starter. But lets face it. No team was beating down our doors to trade for him in the offseason or before the deadline.

If Ortons attitude could change and he would actually mentor Tebow on mechanics ect. I think it would be good just to keep him as a backup.

I don't think Orton is a "cancer" in the locker room. Just don't want him as our starter.

Orton already proved this last year, when asked about Tebow's play...

"I dont comment on the play of teammates"....:confused:

rationalfan
10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
No....

proof?

cuzz4169
10-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Who is Orton going to be a starter for next year is the question? I see no one, He is not a starting qb in the NFL.

Juriga72
10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
proof?

Prove to me Kyle Orton can win a GAME....:coffee:

Northman
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
1) Why in the world would he want too? He is a pariah in Denver. lol

2) Denver hasnt resigned him so i really doubt he will be here.

3) Orton has publically stated he doesnt feel he is a backup QB.

BroncoStud
10-20-2011, 01:40 PM
No. Orton gives Denver no chance to win. Let the bum walk and suck for someone else.

dogfish
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
i would kinda like to see him hang around, just for chaze's sake. . . .

jhildebrand
10-20-2011, 01:49 PM
The answer to that question is NO.

BroncoBully
10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I think the fans that put the billboard up should also accept donations to help pay the remainder of orton's contract and then cut him next week. this guy is a joke, he doesn't give a shit what you as a denver fan think about him(good or bad).

rationalfan
10-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Prove to me Kyle Orton can win a GAME....:coffee:

being a loser doesn't mean he's a cancer in the locker room. of all the things he's been called, i don't ever remember hearing "diva," "temperamental," "egotistical" or "self-centered."

orton may not be a good QB, but i don't believe he's a team cancer. cutler, in his youth, was. randy moss, apparently, was. orton? nope.

rationalfan
10-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I think the fans that put the billboard up should also accept donations to help pay the remainder of orton's contract and then cut him next week. this guy is a joke, he doesn't give a shit what you as a denver fan think about him(good or bad).

so, if a player doesn't care about the fan's whimsical opinions he should be cut?

Juriga72
10-20-2011, 02:32 PM
being a loser doesn't mean he's a cancer in the locker room. of all the things he's been called, i don't ever remember hearing "diva," "temperamental," "egotistical" or "self-centered."

orton may not be a good QB, but i don't believe he's a team cancer. cutler, in his youth, was. randy moss, apparently, was. orton? nope.

Orotn has already been this team's cancer LAST year. Thru his actions at Dove Valley and games started by Tebow. "Yes.. I had a good season.. I SHOULD be the starter next year"... Calling a 3-11 season "good"???

I knwo you think he's better than that, but facts are that he has never and will not provide anything to Tebow.

Making fun of a teammate at practice is not really "Providing help"

BroncoBully
10-20-2011, 03:01 PM
so, if a player doesn't care about the fan's whimsical opinions he should be cut?

I have no idea, it looks like your making your own statement and turning it into a question, you tell me.

I'm saying as a player you can't cause friction with your own fans. Denver as a whole gave KO a chance, whether you wanted him as Denver's QB or not. you can't fail and be bitter about it. If this dude thinks he played good after never performing in the clutch and leading the team to a 3-10 season then he is lost beyond repair. To answer your future question; I don't care about what other 10 guys are on the offesive side of the ball with KO. if you can't see KO's play was crap then you have no idea and are lost.

chazoe60
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
i would kinda like to see him hang around, just for chaze's sake. . . .

I like you less every day.

FlyByU
10-20-2011, 03:26 PM
No....

Team DUKE - John Wayne Cancer Foundation:

I got that when I Google.

If KO wants to stay on for 2 million or less he would be a great back up QB but he would have to accept his roll openly and support the starting QB whom ever that may be. Also has to lose the Long Sad Face he sports all the time.

I have always thought he would be a good backup because the Backup QB doesn't have the pressure the starter has and if KO has no pressure he does fine.

BroncoWave
10-20-2011, 03:31 PM
shouldn't a back up be able to step up and win you a game? I say no

While I don't really want to keep him, this argument is pretty week. If you go down and list the backup QBs in the NFL, how many are really capable of winning a lot of games? Probably not many. That's why they are backups. I think Orton is probably better than most of the current backups in the NFL.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Teams do NOT carry the incumbent QBs to stay and be the Back-up. I said this when people thought we would keep Plummer around to be a back-up, and the same thing applies here. NO TEAM keeps the guy that was replaced, around. Kyle will not be the back-up in Denver. He'll be a back-up somewhere else.

slim
10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
If TT is going to be the starter next year (that is a big if, I know), then the back up will have to have a similar skill set.

MileHighCrew
10-20-2011, 05:32 PM
While I don't really want to keep him, this argument is pretty week. If you go down and list the backup QBs in the NFL, how many are really capable of winning a lot of games? Probably not many. That's why they are backups. I think Orton is probably better than most of the current backups in the NFL.

how many backups have the record Orton has over the past year and a half. Thinking they can't win is different than knowing Orton can't win.

BroncoWave
10-20-2011, 05:37 PM
how many backups have the record Orton has over the past year and a half. Thinking they can't win is different than knowing Orton can't win.

The league is littered with current backups who failed as starters. Come on now. I'm as anti-Orton as anyone, but you are just being disingenuous if you are trying to say he's not even on the upper level of backups. Just think about it. This is a tier that features the likes of Kyle Boller, Troy Smith, Charlie Batch, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Charlie Whitehurst, Joe Webb, Curtis Painter, Matt Moore, Jimmy Clausen, and so on and so forth. Orton is better than all of those guys and those were just ones I pulled off the top of my head.

dogfish
10-20-2011, 05:38 PM
If TT is going to be the starter next year (that is a big if, I know), then the back up will have to have a similar skill set.

can't-- mike alstott's retired. . . .

MileHighCrew
10-20-2011, 05:42 PM
The league is littered with current backups who failed as starters. Come on now. I'm as anti-Orton as anyone, but you are just being disingenuous if you are trying to say he's not even on the upper level of backups. Just think about it. This is a tier that features the likes of Kyle Boller, Troy Smith, Charlie Batch, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Charlie Whitehurst, Joe Webb, Curtis Painter, Matt Moore, Jimmy Clausen, and so on and so forth. Orton is better than all of those guys and those were just ones I pulled off the top of my head.

Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Charlie Whitehurst, Joe Webb, Curtis Painter, Matt Moore, Jimmy Clausen

I would trade Orton straight up for any of these younger players than never got half the chance he got.
I understand your point but I would rather have the devil I don't know than the devil we all know. That was my point, when he goes in there is no hope. The chances of a victory might be equal or even better but the hope is all lost

BroncoWave
10-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Charlie Whitehurst, Joe Webb, Curtis Painter, Matt Moore, Jimmy Clausen

I would trade Orton straight up for any of these younger players than never got half the chance he got.
I understand your point but I would rather have the devil I don't know than the devil we all know. That was my point, when he goes in there is no hope. The chances of a victory might be equal or even better but the hope is all lost

I think it's smart to balance our your stater and backup in experience. With a young QB like Tebow I'd rather have a veteran as a backup than some of those young guys. Not saying I want Orton to stay, but if you just look at him in a vacuum and ignore the awkwardness of him staying as a backup, I'd probably take him over most if not all of those guys. Unless you are a team like the Pats or Steelers with a strong defense, running game, and coaching, any team is going to struggle when a backup comes in, so I'd at least like to have a veteran who has alot of experience starting.

MileHighCrew
10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
I think it's smart to balance our your stater and backup in experience. With a young QB like Tebow I'd rather have a veteran as a backup than some of those young guys. Not saying I want Orton to stay, but if you just look at him in a vacuum and ignore the awkwardness of him staying as a backup, I'd probably take him over most if not all of those guys. Unless you are a team like the Pats or Steelers with a strong defense, running game, and coaching, any team is going to struggle when a backup comes in, so I'd at least like to have a veteran who has alot of experience starting.
but you can't just look at him and ignore the awkwardness, it wont work like that. Sure if I'm Cincinnatti he is a great back-up, but not here. I would rather they bring in a mobile vet with Tebowism's like Jason Campbell to be the back up if he can't get another starting spot

Rick
10-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I would rather they go after a backup with a similar skill set to Tebow, much like when BVP was the backup to Plumber, so the offense doesn't have to change much when he comes in.

Lancane
10-20-2011, 09:30 PM
The Broncos as an organization would be foolish to retain Kyle Orton as a backup quarterback, he's got too many supporters in the Club House sort-to-speak and that could undermine the nucleus of the team's foundation. Not to mention that he really won't fit with the playbook that will most likely be put into play should Tebow retain the position after the season. I have no doubts Denver will draft a quarterback, but depending on Tebow it would make it more of a when and why situation.

Should Tebow do well enough to cement himself as the starter, then Denver will most likely look at similar style quarterbacks available in the latter part of the draft; Robert Griffin if he's available, Dominique Davis, EJ Manuel, Dan Persa, Austin Davis and Stephen Garcia would be those that I would say fit that role, Griffith though could cause a quarterback controversy because he is such a big armed prospect.

BroncoStud
10-20-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't see how Orton helps a team do ANYTHING. He sucks. He won't mentor. He doesn't win games. What purpose does having him on your roster serve? Unless he is in a wideopen spread offense like he had at Purdue and with McDaniels, Orton is just a garbage QB. He can't play undercenter. He just sucks.

Rick
10-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I am fine with a vet so long as he is somewhat mobile.

Garard for example, if he were willing to come in knowing full well he is nothing but a backup, he is serviceable and mobile enough that I wouldn't mind him as a backup.

BroncoTech
10-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I say no way we keep Orton. For one I like Quinn better. There are miles of film out there on how to beat Orton, not so much on Quinn. (wow we just had an earthquake here in Oakland, another 4.2 of several)
That's why I see a limited future for Orton in the NFL. Who really goes after a serviceable back up when most teams carry 3 QB's.

Lancane
10-20-2011, 10:38 PM
I am fine with a vet so long as he is somewhat mobile.

Garard for example, if he were willing to come in knowing full well he is nothing but a backup, he is serviceable and mobile enough that I wouldn't mind him as a backup.

Garrard is having severe back issues, I'd be surprised if he could truly make a comeback after his upcoming surgery. If he can then maybe he is worth a look, but I see Denver drafting someone, a worst case scenario type pick whom they can groom.

TXBRONC
10-20-2011, 10:54 PM
If Kyle Orton wanted to stay in Denver as a #2 QB here in Denver would you be ok with him staying? Meaning if he test the market in the offseason and sees that he can't get a starting job elsewhere then what if he just wanted to remain here as a backup? Quinn will be gone the first chance he gets.

I don't think he's the answer as a starter but he would be a solid #2. He would of course have to embrace Tebowmania and actually want to help him grow as a QB. Orton didnt want a trade to Mia and seemed to not be interested in being traded before the deadline. Remember, Tebow plays very very hard and injury is likely to happen with his style of play.

Would you as a fan want him here if he took a 2-3 low end contract to stay in Denver?

Given the circumstance I wouldn't be in favor of it. Besides that I doubt Orton has changed his view that he sees himself as a quality starter. There is no crime in that but that's how he views himself.

Den I don't think Orton had any problem whatsoever being traded to Miami. It was the Dolphins who killed the deal because Orton wanted be paid $9 million a year for the next three years so they said no. That of course goes back to how Orton sees himself.

DenBronx
10-20-2011, 11:44 PM
I think either McNabb or Gerard would be a better backup than Orton. I would like to see Quinn stay but I'm not so sure he's any better than Orton, so that's why I thought he would be a good #2. That and he already knows the playbook.

Lancane
10-21-2011, 12:11 AM
I think either McNabb or Gerard would be a better backup than Orton. I would like to see Quinn stay but I'm not so sure he's any better than Orton, so that's why I thought he would be a good #2. That and he already knows the playbook.

McNabb will be lucky to even get a job after the season, unless as a backup and it might not be something he can except. Garrard as I mentioned is dealing with back issues that could well force him out of the league for good. As for Orton not only is there a chance that he causes friction in the locker room should he return, but how would you like to become the backup for the team who's fans despise you and where you were replaced as the starter? Plus, there is a big chance that the offense won't be the same next year, either by McCoy's hands or that of a different coordinator, I fully expect the offense to be changed in some distinct ways that better suit the offense this team wants. And let's not forget that Orton and Quinn would both have chances to go elsewhere and start for at least a season ahead of rookies, or to at least compete.

Juriga72
10-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Given the circumstance I wouldn't be in favor of it. Besides that I doubt Orton has changed his view that he sees himself as a quality starter. There is no crime in that but that's how he views himself.

Den I don't think Orton had any problem whatsoever being traded to Miami. It was the Dolphins who killed the deal because Orton wanted be paid $9 million a year for the next three years so they said no. That of course goes back to how Orton sees himself.

Kyle has ALWAYS viewed himself as the starter. Good for him, but bad for what ever team he is on. NO WAY can you have that guy as a back up.

Rick
10-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't think Quinn stays. I wouldn't be surprised if he feels he was never really given a fair chance at starter and wants to go somewhere he has a shot to compete.

McNab and Cambell I don't think will be willing to come in knowing they are backups, they will want a chance at starter.

I don't want another QB controversy. Who ever comes in it has to be they are knowing and are quite accepting of the fact they are not, nor are they being considered as, the starter.

TXBRONC
10-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Kyle has ALWAYS viewed himself as the starter. Good for him, but bad for what ever team he is on. NO WAY can you have that guy as a back up.

If we were bringing him in rather than him already being here that entirely different dynamic I think would be a workable. But because he's already here and he's better the starter for the most of the last two years and he's team captain there is no way keep him him here. That says nothing about issue that he does not want stay.