PDA

View Full Version : Jets sign Eron Riley off Broncos' practice squad

Denver Native (Carol)
10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
There must have been enough tape of Eron Riley's fine preseason, because the New York Jets signed Riley off the Broncos' practice squad today.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19146033

Dirk
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
How does that work?

In this case would the Broncos have first chance to sign or can the Jets just sign him? Not that it matters, I am just curious.

BroncoStud
10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I was wondering why we haven't done this already. Instead of bringing in 10 garbage TEs...

BroncoWave
10-19-2011, 10:12 AM
How does that work?

In this case would the Broncos have first chance to sign or can the Jets just sign him? Not that it matters, I am just curious.

Yes, the Broncos have right of first refusal, but they would have to cut someone and sign him to the 53.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2011, 10:17 AM
just because the Jets sign him, doesn't mean much guys. Its not like thats a sign that we should have had him on our 53 man roster.

silkamilkamonico
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
I was wondering why we haven't done this already. Instead of bringing in 10 garbage TEs...

Could not agree more. John Fox, and his love for middle of the road blocking TE's. Just another reason why this organization is so shitty.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-19-2011, 10:23 AM
How does that work?

I think anyone on the practice squad can be signed by anyone, without first notifying the team, in this case, the Broncos - but I may be wrong. After the Broncos traded Lloyd, they signed Bush off of Atlanta's practice squad, almost immediately after the trade.

TXBRONC
10-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I think anyone on the practice squad can be signed by anyone, without first notifying the team, in this case, the Broncos - but I may be wrong. After the Broncos traded Lloyd, they signed Bush off of Atlanta's practice squad, almost immediately after the trade.

That is correct. Practice squad players are basically free agents. The only way to protect him was to put him on the active roster.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-19-2011, 10:28 AM
That is correct. Practice squad players are basically free agents. The only way to protect him was to put him on the active roster.

And, from article:

Even with their trade of No. 1 receiver Brandon Lloyd to St. Louis, the Broncos have five receivers on their active roster _ Eric Decker, Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas, Matt Willis and Quan Cosby.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/10/19/jets-sign-eron-riley-off-broncos-practice-squad/10234/

With the Broncos already having 5 receivers on their active roster, I would assume to them, it did not make sense to activate Riley.

silkamilkamonico
10-19-2011, 10:33 AM
I am still wondering why Quan Crosby is still here. He has absolutely no potential to be a WR for us and he's an average return man at best. With Royal now back we do not need the guy on the roster at all, and he shouldn't be.

vandammage13
10-19-2011, 10:40 AM
I am still wondering why Quan Crosby is still here. He has absolutely no potential to be a WR for us and he's an average return man at best. With Royal now back we do not need the guy on the roster at all, and he shouldn't be.

Yeah Quan has little to no value for us...

That being said, it's not like Eron Riley would have been an impact player either. Even in a 5 WR set I think Julius Thomas probably would get the nod over Riley or Cosby.

Neither would see the field unless there are injuries to the WR corps...

Also, I don't think Riley brings anything as far as special teams is concerned, which is why Cosby probably made the 53 man roster over him.

Skacorica
10-19-2011, 10:57 AM
With Tebow starting, you have to wonder why Quan was there but not Riley. Tebow had excellent chemistry with Riley in the preseason...

DenBronx
10-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah this makes zero sense. I was looking forward to seeing more of Riley.

Can we match their offer?

Dirk
10-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Yes, the Broncos have right of first refusal, but they would have to cut someone and sign him to the 53.

Yeah this makes zero sense. I was looking forward to seeing more of Riley.

Can we match their offer?

:confused:

Now I am really confused. :lol:

Which is it?

silkamilkamonico
10-19-2011, 11:34 AM
With Tebow starting, you have to wonder why Quan was there but not Riley. Tebow had excellent chemistry with Riley in the preseason...

Is it a conspiracy? Inquiring minds would like to know...

Dirk
10-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Is it a conspiracy? Inquiring minds would like to know...

You know it partner! :listen:

BroncoWave
10-19-2011, 11:43 AM
:confused:

Now I am really confused. :lol:

Which is it?

TX is slightly incorrect. If someone signs one of your PS players, you can block it by cutting someone and signing them to your 53. That doesn't happen too often though because usually a team values a player that much they will find a spot for him on the roster.

TXBRONC
10-19-2011, 11:43 AM

Yeah Quan has little to no value for us...

That being said, it's not like Eron Riley would have been an impact player either. Even in a 5 WR set I think Julius Thomas probably would get the nod over Riley or Cosby.

Neither would see the field unless there are injuries to the WR corps...

Also, I don't think Riley brings anything as far as special teams is concerned, which is why Cosby probably made the 53 man roster over him.

Silk he's here to return punts and kicks first and foremost. They don't want Royal doing either one of those things with an injuried groin. He's handling punts and kickoffs because he's experienced at it. He is also sure handed I think that is of first foremost importance.

I'm not going argue with you about him being avergage but I will say from what I've seen he's doing decent job. On kickoffs he's averaging 27 yards per return and on punt returns he's averaging 16.8 yards per return.

TXBRONC
10-19-2011, 11:52 AM
TX is slightly incorrect. If someone signs one of your PS players, you can block it by cutting someone and signing them to your 53. That doesn't happen too often though because usually a team values a player that much they will find a spot for him on the roster.

No I'm not slightly incorrect. I said basically the samething you did. If they wanted to protect him they on the roster. Once a player is signed by another team you can't go back after the fact and say this contract is void because we're cutting player "X" and putting Eron on his place.

BroncoWave
10-19-2011, 11:58 AM
No I'm not slightly incorrect. I said basically the samething you did. If they wanted to protect him they on the roster. Once a player is signed by another team you can't go back after the fact and say this contract is void because we're cutting player "X" and putting Eron on his place.

No, I'm pretty sure you can. Before the Jets actually officially sign him, they put in a claim on him and the Broncos have a chance to sign him first. So no, once he officially signs with the Jets Denver can do nothing about it, but the Jets can't just up and sign him without making it known that that is their intention and giving Denver a chance to sign him first.

jhildebrand
10-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Teams are notified a PS player has a claim coming in on him. The team that has that player on the PS can KEEP the other team from taking them by signing them to the active roster. The only way to do that is by cutting or IR'ing another active player.

This SUCKS. I wanted Eron and Willis to get good looks in the next 11 :mad:

HORSEPOWER 56
10-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Teams are notified a PS player has a claim coming in on him. The team that has that player on the PS can KEEP the other team from taking them by signing them to the active roster. The only way to do that is by cutting or IR'ing another active player.

Not really that concerned. There's a reason that these guys aren't drafted and end up on the PS. I liked what I saw of Riley in the preseason, but if he was better than Willis he'd have gotten the job. I don't think Riley is the next Rod Smith, but anything is possible.

Hopefully, the Jets will cut him after a few weeks and we'll be able to bring him back in.

TXBRONC
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM

I forgot to tell you I called Fox and told him you wanted to see Eron. He told me he knew you wanted to see him that's why he let him go to the Jets. :heh:

jhildebrand
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Hopefully, the Jets will cut him after a few weeks and we'll be able to bring him back in.

I am not too worried about it because Sanchez will be throwing the ball. He wont last long there.

I just like Riley better than the Cosby kid. :noidea:

HORSEPOWER 56
10-19-2011, 12:18 PM
I am not too worried about it because Sanchez will be throwing the ball. He wont last long there.

I just like Riley better than the Cosby kid. :noidea:

I like Cosby because he helps keep our other WRs healthy. I know Decker looked good on punt returns, but if I never see him, Thomas or Royal out there returning again, it will be too soon.

Oh, and it's not like Riley would see the field even if he was on the active roster and Cosby wasn't. If we're going to spread it out with lots of receivers, Orange Julius, Moreno, or Fells will be on the field instead of a 5th WR I'd bet.

MOtorboat
10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Meh. Willis = Riley = Willis = Glenn Martinez.

TXBRONC
10-19-2011, 12:32 PM

There is good chance that's all he is but I would like to find out for sure if Willis is just younger version of Glenn Martinez.

MOtorboat
10-19-2011, 12:35 PM
There is good chance that's all he is but I would like to find out for sure if Willis is just younger version of Glenn Martinez.

He couldn't win a spot on the roster, so meh.

TXBRONC
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
He couldn't win a spot on the roster, so meh.

I thought Willis made the roster coming out of camp. At anyrate it really doesn't if he did or didn't. It's what he does with his opportunity that matters. It's not that much different than Rod Smith situation. It doesn't make him Rod Smith but ithere s a similarity in the situation.

MOtorboat
10-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I thought Willis made the roster coming out of camp. At anyrate it really doesn't if he did or didn't. It's what he does with his opportunity that matters. It's not that much different than Rod Smith situation. It doesn't make him Rod Smith but ithere s a similarity in the situation.

Willis did. I thought we were talking about Riley, so I just got my wires crossed. You're right about Willis.

I think they are about the same player. Willis might be a little better, which is probably why he made the squad. He'll get some targets, and already has.

That will probably be limited though, if Thomas and Royal can stay healthy. I foresee a lot of one-back, two-tight end, two-receiver looks.

slim
10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Willis did. I thought we were talking about Riley, so I just got my wires crossed. You're right about Willis.

I think they are about the same player. Willis might be a little better, which is probably why he made the squad. He'll get some targets, and already has.

That will probably be limited though, if Thomas and Royal can stay healthy. I foresee a lot of one-back, two-tight end, two-receiver looks.

Decker and Royal?

Or Decker and DT?

MOtorboat
10-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Decker and Royal?

Or Decker and DT?

Decker and Thomas. Royal in three-wides.

slim
10-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Decker and Thomas. Royal in three-wides.

Man, I hope Thomas can stay healthy. Dude will be a beast.

BeefStew25
10-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Go **** yourself, Virgin.