PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Spell Broncos? S-U-C-K-S

Broncos Mtnman
12-29-2008, 02:12 AM
While it would be easy to look at today’s embarrassing performance as the reason that the Broncos will be watching the playoffs for the third year in a row, the reality is that this group of players (particularly the defense) would spend the whole month of December giving up a three game lead with three weeks to play.

For the third time in December (the third week in a row), the defense would give up 30 points or more. For the third time in December, the defense would fail to create any turnovers. For the third time in December, the offense would suffer from multiple turnovers. For the third time in December, special teams would fail to make even the most “routine” plays, from missing an extra point to giving the Chargers an average starting position of the 32 yard line. For the second time in December, Jay Cutler threw a red zone interception (he only had four all season), thus killing a sure scoring drive.

Well, I think you get the idea. Tonight’s highs and lows….

HIGHS :2thumbs:

Tatum Bell – The cell phone store manager answered the call (sorry, I couldn’t help myself :lol: ). Thanks to two more running backs going on IR last week, Tatum was given the opportunity to start, and he did a very good job. He rushed for 86 yards on 8 carries and two touchdowns. He also had four receptions for another 31 yards, giving him a total of 117 yards from scrimmage (nearly 29% of the team’s total yards).

Offensive line – In a game where the Chargers had to know that the Broncos would have to pass a lot, the offensive line kept the Chargers from sacking Jay Cutler. In addition, they provided those running lanes that Bell took advantage of.

Tony Scheffler – 5 receptions for 75 yards and a touchdown. An interesting stat about Tony’s touchdown reception is that it was his first since week 2, when he caught two against the Chargers in the week two matchup.

LOWS :2thumbsdown:

Matt Prater – Once again, Prater would miss his first kick attempt of the game. The unfortunate part of this one was that it was a PAT. His failing on this most elementary responsibility kind of set the mood for the rest of the game. You could actually see the air being let out of the momentum the team thought they had secured on the touchdown that gave the team it’s only lead of the game. I predict there will be some competition next year to replace this guy. His performance over the second half of the season was pathetic.

FACT: Not one of his four kickoffs even reached the endzone. For the month of December, he only managed 2 touchbacks on 19 kickoffs, in addition to going 5 for 9 in field goal attempts.

Defense – DUH :doh: Some of the impressive (that’s sarcasm folks) stats for this game? How about giving up 52 points? How about allowing the Chargers to set a team record by giving up 289 yards rushing? How about giving up 207 yards through the air on only 15 completions? How about allowing most of those rushing yards when San Diego was in kill the clock mode and the defense simply couldn’t tackle? How about giving Rivers a near eternity in the pocket due to the typically non-existent pass rush? How about allowing San Diego to score on 7 of their first 8 drives, 6 for touchdowns?

FACT: The Bob Slowick led defense surrendered 30 points or more in 9 games this season. The 2007 Broncos only had 6 such games. The Bob Slowick led defense surrendered an average of 146 yards rushing per game. The 2007 Broncos gave up 142.6. The Bob Slowick led defense created a meager 13 turnovers. The 2007 Broncos created 30. The Bob Slowick led defense yielded an average of 374.6 total yards per game. The 2007 Broncos averaged 336 total yards per game. The Bob Slowick led defense only managed to keep an opponent to less than 300 total yards two times. The 2007 Broncos accomplished this feat five times.

The Bob Slowick led defense is coming back for another season. The 2007 Broncos played so “poorly” that it cost Jim Bates his job. Go figure.

Dropped Passes – Eddie Royal, Brandon Marshall and Brandon Stokley all had critical dropped passes. With the pathetic defensive performance, the offense had to score on practically every possession. The dropped passes by these normally reliable receivers proved to be costly.

Sadly, a season that started with so much promise came crashing down thanks to a porous defense, questionable coaching, and a ton of injuries.

After starting out with a strong 4-1 record after the first five games of the season, the Broncos would stumble their way to a 4-7 finish thanks to a 1-3 record in December, when playoff teams should be playing their best football.
The Broncos are now in the record books as the first team to hold sole possession of first place in their division for the first 15 games, and lose the division and the playoffs on the last game. They are also the first team to hold a three game lead in their division with three games to play, and lose the division.

Like I said, you spell that S-U-C-K-S…..

BMM

horsepig
12-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Nice job Mntnman. I agree in general. One thing that really sticks in my craw is the inability of the coaching staff to recognize the FACT that the whole team performed much better with almost all, to the man, the "subs" in the game.

Give me Woodyard, Hillis, Barret, Hagan (or Larsen), Josh Bell, Fox-these guys performed better than Champ (my favorite all-time corner), Webster, DJ, any RBs and any safeties the coaches seem to have to name as starters.