PDA

View Full Version : Slowik Will Return

nmbroncosfan
12-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Sports reporters on News4 CBS Denver said that Shanahan said that Slowik will return next year as defensive coordinator.

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Hell no, what the ****

silkamilkamonico
12-29-2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks a lot Shanahan.

Glad to see you're consciously trying to improve the team....

....NOT.

NightTrainLayne
12-29-2008, 12:50 AM
How can this be?

I feel betrayed somehow.

sneakers
Oh poop.

NameUsedBefore
He better ****ing not.

G_Money
This had better be a joke. :tsk:

~G

Skinny
12-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Did'nt Mikey say that about Coyer and Bates at the end of those seasons too??

(God i hope so...)

G_Money
PS - if it's NOT a joke I'm gonna get a lot more curmudgeonly and cynical up on this board. FYI.

~G

Broncos4Ever24
wow.....just wow

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Bowlen should fire him

nmbroncosfan
12-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Watching it on Chevy All-Access right now

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 12:53 AM
I'd have to hear how the question was asked. If they asked him point-blank if Slowik would be fired, even a noncommital answer or question dodge at this point might be tough for Shanny to field honestly. I'd still rather have had Shanny give a clear indication the axe was coming for him, but how would any coach answer this seconds after the game?

Will hope this is rescinded. I can't imagine watching another game with Slowik right now.

Rusty Shackleford
12-29-2008, 12:55 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Nightmare30/Funny%20stuff/facepalm.jpg

BroncoTech
Are you sure he didn't say 'I'll fire this clown Monday'?

G_Money
Scenario A:

Shanahan is putting it on Slowik to do the deed. As his friend, Shanny won't throw him under the bus. He'll leave it to Slowik to throw himself under the bus. He'll get religion, or a sick relative, or a crisis of conscience and resign, so that Shanny doesn't have to fire him and he doesn't have to have it on his resume that he was fired again.

Scenario B:

Shanahan secretly WANTS to be violated with a still-lit yule log by me.

~G

Tned
Assuming this isn't a joke, this is what I expected. As I have posted in recent threads on this subject, you can't keep replacing coordinators each year, because then the defense will never get settled.

I'm not convinced Slowick is 'the' guy, but I do believe that the Broncos have a very good offense (minus unprecedented injuries at RB), and all they need is a passable defense to keep them in games. Rotate out some talent, without implementing another scheme, and we probably get that accomplished.

broken12
12-29-2008, 12:58 AM
well i missed that part if he said yes, but i do know that he said the defense neeeds to improve and that any time you are 26th and down on defenses you wont win many games no matter what the offense does

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 12:59 AM
We should have never gotten rid of Coyer and the Browncos.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Scenario A:

Shanahan is putting it on Slowik to do the deed. As his friend, Shanny won't throw him under the bus. He'll leave it to Slowik to throw himself under the bus. He'll get religion, or a sick relative, or a crisis of conscience and resign, so that Shanny doesn't have to fire him and he doesn't have to have it on his resume that he was fired again.

Scenario B:

~G

I am hopeful for scenario A (not scenario B). We know Slowik is a friend and I'm sure Shanny wants that friendship to continue. Perhaps Slowik behind the scenes will be urged to quietly resign with dignity.

God I hope so.

G_Money
12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Staying with a coordinator who had 4 games where he gave up less than 20 points all season is like staying with a burger joint that serves broken glass as a condiment because you're tired of trying a new fast food place every week.

Familiar is not always better. The devil you know actually may BE worse than the devil you don't.

And the Broncos aren't gonna win anything, ever, with a D run by a guy who can't design a scheme that works or stay with anything that has ever actually accidentally worked over the course of a season.

~G

NightTrainLayne
12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Scenario A:

Scenario B:

~G

Scenario A does seem to be Mikey's modus operandi lately with the D coordinators. Coyer and Bates both "resigned", or refused demotions. Didn't Ray Rhodes "resign" as well?

Please be Scenario A.

Tned, I respect the Hell out of you, and can usually follow your logic, but not here. There is no reason I can see to keep Slowik.

If these guys were developing and getting better I could maybe see it, but we've been in the basement all season. And as G has said countless times, the guys are just plain out of position. I'm not sure you could TRY to line up 11 guys out there and have them in a worse spot to defend an NFL offense.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Assuming this isn't a joke, this is what I expected. As I have posted in recent threads on this subject, you can't keep replacing coordinators each year, because then the defense will never get settled.

I'm not convinced Slowick is 'the' guy, but I do believe that the Broncos have a very good offense (minus unprecedented injuries at RB), and all they need is a passable defense to keep them in games. Rotate out some talent, without implementing another scheme, and we probably get that accomplished.

Slowik's really had 2 seasons at this point. You can't fail *this* badly and continue. You have to show signs of improvement, signs you're a leader of men, that things are on the upswing. We have no indications of any of these things right now and in fact, there's evidence to the contrary.

Watchthemiddle
12-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Here is what is going on.....

Whatever Shanny says, the opposite will happen.

Shanny -"we will NOT miss the playoffs".....we are missing the playoffs.

Shanny- "Slowik WILL be back next season".....Slowik is as good as gone.:D:D

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Shanny -"we will NOT miss the playoffs".....we are missing the playoffs.

I hate that Shanny didn't make good on this--because he did enough to make good on this. Without Slowik, he would have.

Tned
12-29-2008, 01:06 AM
It's the chicken salad/chicken shit argument guys. Nate webster, a career special teamer at MLB? Cast of safeties from other teams starting? The always injured and underachieving Boss bailey at SLB, paired with injured Champ and DJ?

Chicken shit/chicken salad....

Don't get me wrong, I am not a 'fan' of Slowick, and I would not have shed a tear if he was canned. However, I also know that changing DC's every year clearly isn't working. On offense, with the possible exception of RB and center (although Wiegman is signed for one more year, I believe), we are set right now. My guess is we don't take an early back, but figure a few of those 7 IR'd guys will produce. That means, we focus our draft, and possibly some FA moves on getting talent, and then Shanahan sees if Slowick can produce when we aren't starting special teamers, UDFAs and other teams cast offs.

broken12
12-29-2008, 01:07 AM
i really dont know what to think if hes back next year. even when we had big leads in games new orleans, san diego, they didnt last long becuase of the defense, lost for words. all the talent in the world would never had made a dif with his scheme of playing dbs 10yds off the line of scrimmage, that why we allow record completion percentages and 3rd down conversions.

Tned
Slowik's really had 2 seasons at this point. You can't fail *this* badly and continue. You have to show signs of improvement, signs you're a leader of men, that things are on the upswing. We have no indications of any of these things right now and in fact, there's evidence to the contrary.

Actually, using your logic, he has probably had more like three seasons, as he was secondary coach in '05.

However, last year was clearly Bates philosiphy, and the personell moves made in the '07 off season (prior to the '07 season) were made to fit Bates' failed scheme.

Shazam!
I don't know about Shanahan 'Not throwing his friend under the bus.' Shanahan has been throwing staff and players under the bus for YEARS.

I personally think Shanahan's time in Denver is running out. He better produce in 2009.

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2008, 01:12 AM
The reasons Slowik should be fired:

1) He should have never even been hired in the first place. How do you set all the wrong records at Green Bay and then get hired to do it again somewhere else?

2) Not only were the schemes simply terrible clear across the board, the players never seemed in tune with it, nor did they ever appear to be the entire year.

3) I'm not even sure it is a matter of talent. Coyer at times worked with some pretty god-awful units but when things weren't working he still found a way. He even leveraged a pretty horrible secondary with that bend but don't break scheme with the likes of Kelly Herndon and Lenny ****ing Walls.

This ties back into the horrible scheme. Why play corners ten-yards off if not only can they still get burned deep, but they can easily be thrown under? Why are we blitzing on a token scale? If you're gonna blitz do it, what is with the half-assing?

I'm sick of the guy. And I'm really afraid Shanahan will keep him around just to avoid the Broncos looking like a revolving door for D-coordinators.

broken12
12-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Actually, using your logic, he has probably had more like three seasons, as he was secondary coach in '05.

However, last year was clearly Bates philosiphy, and the personell moves made in the '07 off season (prior to the '07 season) were made to fit Bates' failed scheme.

not really bates philosiphy was ditched after the bye week, thats when denvers d went from bad to worse, at least when bates had it they werent allowing many points.

Tned
12-29-2008, 01:22 AM
not really bates philosiphy was ditched after the bye week, thats when denvers d went from bad to worse, at least when bates had it they werent allowing many points.

You might want to recheck your figures. The Broncos gave up 34 points a game in the three points leading up to the '07 buy, over 100 points in a three game stretch. There was no three game stretch after the buy where they gave up 100 points.

27.2 points per game before the bye. 24.8 points per game after the bye. Both bad, but clearly not worse.

NightTrainLayne
12-29-2008, 01:27 AM
You might want to recheck your figures. The Broncos gave up 34 points a game in the three points leading up to the '07 buy, over 100 points in a three game stretch. There was no three game stretch after the buy where they gave up 100 points.

27.2 points per game before the bye. 24.8 points per game after the bye. Both bad, but clearly not worse.

Makes me curious to know what our points per game given up after the bye this year was. . .but I suspect it's too painful to look at, so I'll leave it up to someone else.

My point is, that keeping Slowik based on 2.4 points/game less after the bye last year is really not a good reason at all. . .we were worse this year, and I didn't think it was possible to be worse.

broken12
well regardless they sucked and it was slowiks scheme after the bye week

JONtheBRONCO
I doubt he would tell reporters right after the game that he WAS going to fire him.. Probably going to have some discussions with the front office (Bowlen) first.

ktrain
12-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Sports reporters on News4 CBS Denver said that Shanahan said that Slowik will return next year as defensive coordinator.

Fire shanahan

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Much respect Ned but one play from tonight's games cinched the deal for getting Slowick out of here. It was a zone blitz that left Ebenezer Ekuban on 2 receivers that where fighting each other for the touchdown pass by the end zone pylon. Quarterbacks have been feasting on our whole scheme but they really love our zone blitz. Our 'disguise' for this scheme is the only time we show a blitz it means it's really a zone blitz and opposing quarterbacks wait all game for it. They probably call it the quick six.

So the risk of removing bub-bye Bob is small. We can't get much worse.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Is there someplace online to watch the press conferences?

broken12
12-29-2008, 01:34 AM
i thought on that series when they had 2 and 25 or so denver would get a stop and give the offense a chance, but what happend they gain 24 yds and convert on 3rd down thats pathetic. if we cannot stop someone from converting when its 2 and 25 we dont deserve to win!

BeefStew25
12-29-2008, 01:35 AM
Ebenezer in pass coverage.

I back handed my wife after that play.

Magnificent Seven
12-29-2008, 01:35 AM

where is the link? Proof?

Simple Jaded
12-29-2008, 01:36 AM
It's good to know that Mike Shanahan is still fully capable of making horrific decisions.......

Tned
12-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Makes me curious to know what our points per game given up after the bye this year was. . .but I suspect it's too painful to look at, so I'll leave it up to someone else.

My point is, that keeping Slowik based on 2.4 points/game less after the bye last year is really not a good reason at all. . .we were worse this year, and I didn't think it was possible to be worse.

For the record, I only brought up the 2.4 points a game to correct an innacuracy, that Bates' defense wasn't giving up big points, and it was only after abandoning his defense that it occurred. We sucked all of last year.

Much respect Ned but one play from tonight's games cinched the deal for getting Slowick out of here. It was a zone blitz that left Ebenezer Ekuban on 2 receivers that where fighting each other for the touchdown pass by the end zone pylon. Quarterbacks have been feasting on our whole scheme but they really love our zone blitz. Our 'disguise' for this scheme is the only time we show a blitz it means it's really a zone blitz and opposing quarterbacks wait all game for it. They probably call it the quick six.

So the risk of removing bub-bye Bob is small. We can't get much worse.

As I said, I am in now way attached to Slowick, or impressed with him. I am simply stating the obvious, which is that you cannot replace DC's every year, because if you do, then the defense will never get better. Whatever scheme we are going to run, we need to keep it in place for a few years, get all the players familiar with it and get talent to fit it. I don't care what the scheme is or who the DC is, I just know that rotating them each year will result in more years like this one.

Watchthemiddle
12-29-2008, 01:37 AM

29 ppg after the bye.:tsk:

239 points given up in 8 games. :tsk:

Watchthemiddle
12-29-2008, 01:38 AM
I doubt he would tell reporters right after the game that he WAS going to fire him.. Probably going to have some discussions with the front office (Bowlen) first.

All he needs to do is watch the game film. That should be enough proof for Slowik's play calling.

broken12
12-29-2008, 01:41 AM
listening to cousin lou, he even said we should look into getting someone to coach the defense like the eagles. i would love to see that a blitzing defense that causes turnovers and hurries qbs

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 01:43 AM
listening to cousin lou, he even said we should look into getting someone to coach the defense like the eagles. i would love to see that a blitzing defense that causes turnovers and hurries qbs

That's what I thought we'd be getting when Coyer was fired. Apparently not.

Watchthemiddle
12-29-2008, 01:46 AM
That's what I thought we'd be getting when Coyer was fired. Apparently not.

We went from over the top blitzing to never doing it.

Simple Jaded
12-29-2008, 01:51 AM

By my count, 26.56, with their best game being 10 points given up to the 26th ranked scoring offense of the Chefs.

28.63 a game given up to the other 8 teams, including 30 to the 30th ranked scoring offense of Cleveland and 24 to the 29th ranked scoring offense of the Raiders.

That 26.56 puts Denver's scoring defense at around 28th in the league, the 28.63 would put them at 30th behind the Mighty Kansas Shitty Defense.......

Timmy!
12-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Slow better be gone. We'd be better off putting draft choices and defensive plays in a hat and drawing them at random. G, you got a hat? I get first pick :D

ktrain
12-29-2008, 02:00 AM
By my count, 26.56, with their best game being 10 points given up to the 26th ranked scoring offense of the Chefs.

28.63 a game given up to the other 8 teams, including 30 to the 30th ranked scoring offense of Cleveland and 24 to the 29th ranked scoring offense of the Raiders.

That 26.56 puts Denver's scoring defense at around 28th in the league, the 28.63 would put them at 30th behind the Mighty Kansas Shitty Defense.......

I don't care what the numbers say, this defense was by far the worst defense I saw all year, including KC, NO, Oakland and DET. Admittedly, I missed the games in November (due to my travel schedule), but this defense was the least imaginative and most passive piss poor excuse for a ******* unit I have seen since last year's broncos.

It is time for Shanny and his **** stick shit turd sidekicks to just go away

G_Money
12-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Slow better be gone. We'd be better off putting draft choices and defensive plays in a hat and drawing them at random. G, you got a hat? I get first pick :D

This comment makes me search for a "laughing til I start crying, then crying til I start drinking, then drinking til I start puking, then puking til I pass out" emoticon.

I mean, somewhere, some Lions fan has to have made one, right? ;)

~G

Simple Jaded
12-29-2008, 02:02 AM
I don't care what the numbers say, this defense was by far the worst defense I saw all year, including KC, NO, Oakland and DET. Admittedly, I missed the games in November (due to my travel schedule), but this defense was the least imaginative and most passive piss poor excuse for a ******* unit I have seen since last year's broncos.

It is time for Shanny and his **** stick shit turd sidekicks to just go away

Shanahan would stay if it were up to me, Slowik would have to buy his own ticket out of San Diego, this defense is much worse than any Broncos defense that I've ever seen.......

ktrain
12-29-2008, 02:12 AM
historically, I have been a shanahan supporter for 13 years, and the offensive drafts have been stellar lately, however.....this team is stale. Just like Dan Reeves got stale after some early success, shanny is not getting it done, and frankly, I don't trust his judgment anymore.

We have not had a competent DC here since Ray Rhodes left (Bates might have been had he been given a real chance), Coyer could not make in game adjustments and SlowDICK is just plain incompetent and stupid. Shanny is responsible for the shit drafts from 00-05 and piss poor defensive coaching staff. It is time for him to go IMO

Timmy!
12-29-2008, 02:14 AM
This comment makes me search for a "laughing til I start crying, then crying til I start drinking, then drinking til I start puking, then puking til I pass out" emoticon.

I mean, somewhere, some Lions fan has to have made one, right? ;)

~G

Very good! Welcome to my night. I've already gotten drunk, laughed at the Cowboys (buddies girlfriends team)...drank....puked....laughed...smoked...cried ...talked with buddies girlfriend about future.)

And here I am!! I still say you're a genius! Let's just get a really, REALLY, small hat alright?

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 02:15 AM
historically, I have been a shanahan supporter for 13 years, and the offensive drafts have been stellar lately, however.....this team is stale. Just like Dan Reeves got stale after some early success, shanny is not getting it done, and frankly, I don't trust his judgment anymore.

We have not had a competent DC here since Ray Rhodes left (Bates might have been had he been given a real chance), Coyer could not make in game adjustments and SlowDICK is just plain incompetent and stupid. Shanny is responsible for the shit drafts from 00-05 and piss poor defensive coaching staff. It is time for him to go IMO

We should just demote him to Offensive Coordinator!!!

Tned
12-29-2008, 02:18 AM
There is no question that this defense has sucked. As to being 'the worst', that's hard to say. We are very bad in the early 90's, and then again in the early '00s. It would be degrees of suckyness to pick 'the worst'.

Again, what Shanahan and Bowlen need to decide is whether our ineptitude this year was due to the scheme and coaching or if it was from lack of talent or both.

Just to be clear once again, I don't want to come off as a slowick apologist or supporter, because I am not.

I simply want the quickest route to a 15th or so ranked defense, because I think that is all that this offense will need to roll into the playoffs.

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 02:24 AM
I think the fastest way to a 15th rank defense isn't through Slowick. Maybe it's possible with top tier talent like Pitt or Tenn but not with what we have now.

Broncos Mtnman
12-29-2008, 02:29 AM
There is no question that this defense has sucked. As to being 'the worst', that's hard to say. We are very bad in the early 90's, and then again in the early '00s. It would be degrees of suckyness to pick 'the worst'.

Again, what Shanahan and Bowlen need to decide is whether our ineptitude this year was due to the scheme and coaching or if it was from lack of talent or both.

Just to be clear once again, I don't want to come off as a slowick apologist or supporter, because I am not.

I simply want the quickest route to a 15th or so ranked defense, because I think that is all that this offense will need to roll into the playoffs.

Statistically, we are the worst in team history. Going in to today's game, we were ranked 28th in points allowed and 28th on total yards allowed (both of which will be lower after today's game). Since 1976 (the first year there was at least 28 teams in the NFL), the Broncos have NEVER been ranked that low.

Even in the 90's, the lowest ranking we had was 25th in points and 28th in yards in 1994.

Tned
12-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Statistically, we are the worst in team history. Going in to today's game, we were ranked 28th in points allowed and 28th on total yards allowed (both of which will be lower after today's game). Since 1976 (the first year there was at least 28 teams in the NFL), the Broncos have NEVER been ranked that low.

Even in the 90's, the lowest ranking we had was 25th in points and 28th in yards in 1994.

Hence my comment about degrees of suckyness. It is possible that this is the worst defense, but we also know there are other factors, such as time of possession. The fact that our time of possession was so far off normal Broncos football at 25, combined with all the fumbles and INTs put further pressure on the defensive stats, which in my mind mitigate the slightly worse suckyness, when compared to the early '90s and early '00s stinkers.

The point is that the defense stunk. Does it really matter if it was the 'worst' ever?

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Just the worst defense since 1963. See the sidebar and notice Shanny does say he's keeping Slowick.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11327731?source=rss

Simple Jaded
12-29-2008, 03:17 AM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

The Broncos defense finished the season ranked 29th overall.

26th against the pass, "Holding" the Chargers to 202 passing yards moved them up from the 27th spot they were last week.

27th against the run.

30th in scoring defense.

26th in sacks.

31st in Int's.

26th in fumble recoveries, which makes them dead last in turnovers with 13 take away's for the entire 2008 season.

I hate stats but this stuff is hard to ignore, no defense sucks at everything as bad as Denver's defense sucks at literally EVERYTHING.......

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Looks like Green Bay the last time Slowick was fired. They never caused a turnover, couldn't stop the run or pass.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Just the worst defense since 1963. See the sidebar and notice Shanny does say he's keeping Slowick.

It does say in that article Slowik will stay numerous places in that article. I guess we can only hope he means in a reduced role or something.

That's unbelievably discouraging to read though. I really don't see how he can *not* fire him based on the numbers alone--let alone the gut-wrenching losses the numbers represent.

Tned
12-29-2008, 03:32 AM
It does say in that article Slowik will stay numerous places in that article. I guess we can only hope he means in a reduced role or something.

That's unbelievably discouraging to read though. I really don't see how he can *not* fire him based on the numbers alone--let alone the gut-wrenching losses the numbers represent.

I think the only way he doesn't get fired or offered a reduced position, is if Shanahan and Bowlen believe that he and the defense did as good as they could with the talent and injuries they had to work with.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Shanahan could still bring in an assistant head coach - defense, who would in effect take the defense over and away from Slowick. However, if he was going to do that, why not just fire him? When he did that with Dennison/Heimerdinger, it was because he wanted Dennison groomed, while Heimerdinger ran the offense.

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 04:04 AM
That's why we cant remember the last time this defense looked this bad. Mickey Slaughter was 112 for 223 passing and 1600 yards, 1100 yards and 10 TD's to Lionel Taylor. Goose Gonsoulin had 6 interceptions. Our record 2-11-1.

In 1963 we were just lucky to have a team. In November our country was in a crisis. We probably forgot about football but I remember those players.

JKcatch724
12-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Bowlen has to step in at some point here. Believe me- I'm not a fan of a new coordinator every year, but starting from scratch again is better than the crap we have now. Giving up 52 points to a division rival in a do-or-die game is like going 0-16. There is simply no excuse. I could name a handful of D-1 college defenses that wouldn't give up 52 to the Sparklers.

Timmy!
12-29-2008, 05:14 AM
Bowlen has to step in at some point here. Believe me- I'm not a fan of a new coordinator every year, but starting from scratch again is better than the crap we have now. Giving up 52 points to a division rival in a do-or-die game is like going 0-16. There is simply no excuse. I could name a handful of D-1 college defenses that wouldn't give up 52 to the Sparklers.

No. Really. Guys.....I have it figured out. We get one of those ball tumbler things, like they use for the lottery. You know...we put in 50 #'d balls, each with a defensive play call on them. Like "man 2" or "cover 3", etc. Each play, the tumbler randomly picks a ball. It's genius. Ya...so it's 3rd and 26, and we come with "goalline gaps fire"....or it's 3rd and 1 and we go "dime cover 4"....could it really get any worse? All hail the ball tumbler!

Den21vsBal19
12-29-2008, 05:21 AM
To quote Stripes

And depression sets in :mad:

Poet
12-29-2008, 06:39 AM
You can be a bad coordinator with great results if your personal is insane.

You can be a great coordinator with awful results if your personal is insanely bad.

You have bad personal and AWFUL schemes. Keeping someone who is bad is never a good thing.

Every year it seems that some young stud of a coach appears, just gotta find one. Hell, promoting someone who looks promising as a coordinator is far better than keeping someone who is proven to have an awful scheme.

haroldthebarrel
12-29-2008, 06:47 AM
You can be a bad coordinator with great results if your personal is insane.

You can be a great coordinator with awful results if your personal is insanely bad.

You have bad personal and AWFUL schemes. Keeping someone who is bad is never a good thing.

Every year it seems that some young stud of a coach appears, just gotta find one. Hell, promoting someone who looks promising as a coordinator is far better than keeping someone who is proven to have an awful scheme.

And that sums it up. Slowik stays as defensive cordinator we wont ever win a superbowl.
If Shanahan really thinks he is, I can only hope Bowlen steps in and give him an ultimatum. Either Slowik goes back to defensive backs or Shanahan goes.

This is BS!

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Wow.

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Shamwow.

MOtorboat
12-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Oh joy.

Can we at least get the corners to play up? Honestly, I'd just be happy to see that...regardless of who is coordinator.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm sure Shanahan just didn't want to call him out in public. He has to be gone.

G_Money
12-29-2008, 09:09 AM

From the article:

Plenty of changes are sure to come for that defense, though coach Mike Shanahan said defensive coordinator Bob Slowik will stay.

The 2007 Denver defense gave up 409 total points, and coaches were concerned enough that they made some major offseason changes, including moving linebacker D.J. Williams from the middle to the weak side, signing strongside linebacker Boss Bailey and defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and running a streamlined scheme installed by Slowik, Denver's third defensive coordinator in as many seasons.

There were injuries, sure — among them a season-ending injury to Boss Bailey, and a groin injury that kept corner Champ Bailey out of seven games — but the 2008 version of the defense turned out to be even more dismal. The final tally was 448 points scored by Denver's opponents, an average of 28 per game.

Told of that total, safety Marquand Manuel could only shake his head.

"I didn't know it was that many," Manuel said. "I'm speechless. We've just got to get better. Got to get better."

The Broncos allowed 30 or more points in nine games, including each of their AFC West rivals and each of their final three opponents. The Chargers scored 90 points in their two games against Denver.

Still, Shanahan and defensive players insisted they felt at times as if they were on the brink of becoming a solid defense.

Road victories against Cleveland, Atlanta and the New York Jets — each played without several veteran starters — will do that.

But by the fourth quarter Sunday night, the Denver defense revealed itself to be not much better than the group that gave up 38 points to San Diego, 32 to New Orleans and 33 to Kansas City on consecutive Sundays in September.

"What we did this year, it wasn't acceptable," Bly said.

While Shanahan insisted that Slowik will stay — unlike Jim Bates and Larry Coyer, the last two coordinators who were quickly fired — he acknowledged the need to make plenty of other changes if the defense can ever catch up to the offense.

"Defensively, we've got a lot of work to do," Shanahan said.

You’re an idiot, Shanahan.

You got mad at Coyer because he stopped blitzing and wasn’t good at halftime adjustments.

You fired Bates because his scheme was ill-suited to his personnel and he couldn’t adjust it to make it work with what he had.

So you’re keeping the guy with ALL of those flaws?

Our blitzing is atrocious. I can tell you when we walk up to the line to fake the blitz exactly who is gonna drop back into coverage. It’s a joke, when we even do it at all.

If the cornerback cushions got any bigger they’d be playing from within the stands.

There isn’t ONE THING that Slowik’s defense did well. He can’t stop the yards. He can’t stop the points. He can’t stop the pass or the run or rush the passer or get turnovers.

NOTHING.

If he seriously comes back as DC and we just move some deck chairs around on defense it’s gonna be a long, bitter march toward the season.

Figure it out.

FAST. :tsk:

~G

G_Money
12-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm sure Shanahan just didn't want to call him out in public. He has to be gone.

The problem with that is that every day we keep our defensive staff is another day some other horrible defensive team has to start wooing guys.

Sure, there are some guys who are on playoff staffs that I want to get my hands on, but there are others who aren’t, and they may have already taken jobs by the time we get around to accepting Slowik’s resignation – if that indeed happens.

It’s a game of musical chairs and it started last night. We really don’t want to be the ones left standing.

That’s when the prison shower scene starts. I know it feels like we already had that scene for most of the season on defense, but can you really take another 16 games of this?

~G

Fan in Exile
12-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm stunned, I was hoping to wake up this morning and find him fired this is just insane.

MOtorboat
12-29-2008, 09:14 AM
The problem with that is that every day we keep our defensive staff is another day some other horrible defensive team has to start wooing guys.

Sure, there are some guys who are on playoff staffs that I want to get my hands on, but there are others who aren’t, and they may have already taken jobs by the time we get around to accepting Slowik’s resignation – if that indeed happens.

It’s a game of musical chairs and it started last night. We really don’t want to be the ones left standing.

That’s when the prison shower scene starts. I know it feels like we already had that scene for most of the season on defense, but can you really take another 16 games of this?

~G

Do you think Shanahan could swallow his pride enough to hire one of those defensive coaches that is coveted?

I'm really starting to doubt that.

G_Money
12-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I think that if I’m Pat Bowlen and I see my own team getting booed off the field at half my home games, I think that perhaps there might be change on the wind.

If Shanahan wants to go down with Slowik as his guy, I’d be okay with that as an owner, and I would offer him that choice:

Get a real DC and you’ll get more leeway with your results.

Stick with Slowik and he – AND you – had better produce next year.

No playoff victories = I get to make your coaching changes for you.

No playoffs = better start thinking about another job, Mike.

Which means I’d advise him against taking this course of action, since he has an offense and a draft guru that can get him half-way to a championship right now.

Does anybody think we can make the playoffs with a defense this bad? Unless SD bones it again next year, the answer is no, btw.

Our D has massive talent deficiencies, but if Slowik needs an all-pro defense to be merely average then somebody should let him know that’s not likely. Certainly not by next year, and probably not ever.

Which means the Broncos will get booed off their home field more next year. That’s never a good thing.

~G

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Still, Shanahan and defensive players insisted they felt at times as if they were on the brink of becoming a solid defense.

I laughed.

I can't say I ever felt like our defense would show up in a single game this year. It was always "I hope Cutler and the offense show up". That's it. The defense was a lost cause and that could be predetermined by a three year old.

At the very least the Lions' coach has the honesty to come out and say they suck balls, I don't see why that is so hard to do here. It may even help some; like hydrogen peroxide, stings like a bitch but that's because it's doing its job.

MOtorboat
12-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I think that if I’m Pat Bowlen and I see my own team getting booed off the field at half my home games, I think that perhaps there might be change on the wind.

If Shanahan wants to go down with Slowik as his guy, I’d be okay with that as an owner, and I would offer him that choice:

Get a real DC and you’ll get more leeway with your results.

Stick with Slowik and he – AND you – had better produce next year.

No playoff victories = I get to make your coaching changes for you.

No playoffs = better start thinking about another job, Mike.

Which means I’d advise him against taking this course of action, since he has an offense and a draft guru that can get him half-way to a championship right now.

Does anybody think we can make the playoffs with a defense this bad? Unless SD bones it again next year, the answer is no, btw.

Our D has massive talent deficiencies, but if Slowik needs an all-pro defense to be merely average then somebody should let him know that’s not likely. Certainly not by next year, and probably not ever.

Which means the Broncos will get booed off their home field more next year. That’s never a good thing.

~G

That would mean changing the structure of the organization.

OWNERSHIP
Pat Bowlen - President and Chief Executive Officer
Lisa Williams - Executive Assistant to President and CEO
Yolanda Saltus - Special Assistant

ADVISORY DIRECTORS
Pat Bowlen - Chairman
John Bowlen - Director
Bill Britton - Director
Tim Guard - Director
Jeff Harman - Director
Fred Hemmings - Director
Bob Masten - Director

EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS/HEAD COACH
Mike Shanahan - Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Head Coach
Cindi Lowe - Executive Assistant to Head Coach

Until that structure changes...I doubt that Bowlen takes away hiring decisions from Shanahan.

claymore
12-29-2008, 09:28 AM
The post and the RMN needs to keep the pressure on Bowlen.

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Here is a good article from the Rocky Mountain News on how Bowlen is going to have to force the issue with Shanny...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/28/krieger-defense-was-an-abominable-show-man/ (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/28/krieger-defense-was-an-abominable-show-man/)

Is there anyway of generating a petition to at least let Bowlen know the true depth of the fans displeasure with Slowick? We need a REAL DC somebody we can keep and build a defense around.

MOtorboat
12-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Here is a good article from the Rocky Mountain News on how Bowlen is going to have to force the issue with Shanny...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/28/krieger-defense-was-an-abominable-show-man/ (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/28/krieger-defense-was-an-abominable-show-man/)

Is there anyway of generating a petition to at least let Bowlen know the true depth of the fans displeasure with Slowick? We need a REAL DC somebody we can keep and build a defense around.

I think Krieger was saying that the defense needs better talent and better talent evaluation, not necessarily that Bowlen should step in and make some new hires.

Its still an opinion piece though, and I doubt that Bowlen has been swayed on Shanahan. I really do.

Bronco Bible
12-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I have not gone thru this whole thread, and someone may have brought it up.............but Madden said they talked to Slowik before the game and he said "the chargers will move the ball but we hope to hold them to field goals" is it just me or is this a defeatist attitude for a defensive coordinater? my respose would be "it is our job to shut them down"....am I the only person who feels this way??????????

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 09:50 AM
I think Krieger was saying that the defense needs better talent and better talent evaluation, not necessarily that Bowlen should step in and make some new hires.

Its still an opinion piece though, and I doubt that Bowlen has been swayed on Shanahan. I really do.

I agree, I doubt he has been swayed as well. I wish there was some way of getting feedback to him to let him know how obvious it is that Slowick needs to go. Stubborness will sink this team. MLB is a classic example. Webster sucks. The whole world knows Webster sucks. Larsen has been BY FAR the best MLB on our team this year but where is he at? At fullback?!?! Shanny declared him a FB early and has been reluctant to move him to MLB and leave him there. Shanny might be just as stubborn in keeping Slowbrain around.

G_Money
12-29-2008, 09:52 AM
If we had just held them to field goals we would have still lost.

Since when did praying for the other guy to screw up and give us a chance become acceptable for coaches, players or fans in Bronco-Land?

~G

Fan in Exile
12-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Even my girlfriend who doesn't know much about football was talking about how horrible our defense was last night. There's no way we can keep slowick, there just isn't.

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Even my girlfriend who doesn't know much about football was talking about how horrible our defense was last night. There's no way we can keep slowick, there just isn't.

My wife was commenting as well. She even said "these guys are worse than last year, shouldn't they be getting better at some point?". It's sad.

jrelway
12-29-2008, 10:57 AM
i hope shanahan just said it so he doesnt have to deal with the media after this loss. if he keeps slowik, shanahans ass needs to get shipped out.

broken12
12-29-2008, 11:54 AM
well if he stays too bad, i say bring in someone to have in place if it starts out bad, ive been watchin rod merinelli speak, he seems to be a good defensive line coach from what i heard especially in tampa bring in him for the dline coach if slowik starts out bad can his ass and let rod take over the tampa 2 wouldnt be to hard to learn

underrated29
12-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I seriously feel like someone punched me real hard in the stomach.

:ugh:

jrelway
12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
well if he stays too bad, i say bring in someone to have in place if it starts out bad, ive been watchin rod merinelli speak, he seems to be a good defensive line coach from what i heard especially in tampa bring in him for the dline coach if slowik starts out bad can his ass and let rod take over the tampa 2 wouldnt be to hard to learn

broncos would get torn up if they used the tampa 2 with this current personel. no tampa 2 unless we draft some beast ass D linesMEN.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I seriously feel like someone punched me real hard in the stomach.

:ugh:

More like twelve roundhouse kicks to the nuts.

frauschieze
12-29-2008, 12:31 PM
This does not help my hangover. I am shocked and sick to my stomach.

Medford Bronco
12-29-2008, 12:32 PM
If this crap returns, then Shannys job should be on the line in 09.

Putrid really. and no direction from this organization

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Hearing Whitlock on the Rome show questioning why Shanahan still has a job. I'd disagree--but this backing of Slowik has me reconsidering. If Shanahan has to go out the door with Slowik--so be it.

The defense has no hope of improving with Slowik at the helm. And I for one am sick of not even being competitive with the Chargers.

scott.475
12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
If Slowick doesn't get fired I am going to kick a puppy...off a bridge...into the raging Puyallup river...maybe even one a day until he is gone. He should not last the day, much less the week.

As I said before, even a moderately decent coach could get better play from this group of players.

That fact that I knew the game was a lost cause when SD was only up 10-6 says everything. No one anywhere in Broncoland believes Slowick has the ability to hold another team in check if we fall behind.

For the first time I am really starting to feel like I would not care if Shanny went away. Geez, bring Robinson back from the college ranks, he could not do worse...

smith49
12-29-2008, 01:34 PM
when i heard this i felt similar to the way i felt when shanny announced that webster would be the starting mlb. what game was that? the 2nd raider game, or was it before that? anyhow, i knew we were going to loose a few when i heard that. i feel we will loose a few more if what shanny said becomes reality.

LRtagger
12-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Shoot me now.

If this holds true, I will go ahead and predict no better than a 9-7 record next season before we even make any roster moves.

Dean
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Personally, I could care less if Slowick stays or goes. Either way I want some talent at DE, MLB (and possibly SLB), and two safeties. With decent safeties, we could afford to have our corners play up and even bump and run against wideouts.

G_Money
12-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Personally, I could care less if Slowick stays or goes. Either way I want some talent at DE, MLB (and possibly SLB), and two safeties. With decent safeties, we could afford to have our corners play up and even bump and run against wideouts.

Sure, we could afford to. What makes you think we would?

~G

BroncoTech
12-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Your mamma's defense so bad when they lose the coin toss and the ref asks what goal they want to defend the captain says 'none of them'.

Tned
12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Hearing Whitlock on the Rome show questioning why Shanahan still has a job. I'd disagree--but this backing of Slowik has me reconsidering. If Shanahan has to go out the door with Slowik--so be it.

The defense has no hope of improving with Slowik at the helm. And I for one am sick of not even being competitive with the Chargers.

The reason why Shanahan's job isn't on the line is because in the 14 years hs has coached, he has had only two losing seasons, which ironically is also the number of Super Bowls he has won.

There aren't many coaches in the NFL that can claim that. For instance, during that time, the mighty Cowboys have had 5 losing seasons (three 5 win seasons, and two 6 win seasons).

Our division?
Oakland 8 losing seasons, 3 worst seasons (wins) = 2, 4, 4
Kansas City 7 losing seasons, 3 worst seasons (wins) = 2, 4, 6
San Diego 5 losing seaons, 3 worst seasons (wins) = 1, 4, 4

The Broncos three worst seasons over the last 14 years? 6, 7 and 8 wins.

As fans, we are all upset. I'm upset. I'm taking the diecut decal my wife got me for my back window and sticking it in a draw, because I don't want to see "Denver Broncos" every time I look in the rear view mirror right now.

However, my guess is that Bowlen will be a little more reasoned in his evaluation that we are. Meaning, while he surely has to be frustrated with being 24-24 over the last three years, I'm also sure he knows that most teams don't manage to completely rebuild their offense into what appears to be a powerhouse for years to come, and do it while being .500. Normally, rebuilding a team, results in low single digit (2, 3, 4) win seasons.

The defense was bad. No doubt about it. But, add a couple free agents, and solid draft picks, and the defense could be turned around as well.

We need one, possibly two safeties (depending on whether Barrett is starting material). We need a stud MLB, and possibly an SLB (we might have a few internal options for that). We need an every down pass rushing/run stopping DE.

Depending on Robertson's status, we might need a new DT.

We don't need to blow up the entire defense, we need some key additions, and figure out where some of these young guys, who got a chance to audition this year, fit in.

Drafting 12th or 13th, then hopefully we can fill the DE or MLB spot, and then fill the other in free agency. If we can come up with some safeties capable of providing pass coverage, and a line that can rush, then our corners might not line up 10 yards off the receiver.

The sky isn't falling -- we don't need 11 new defenders, we need a few key playmakers.

broken12
12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
broncos would get torn up if they used the tampa 2 with this current personel. no tampa 2 unless we draft some beast ass D linesMEN.

were getting tore up now, at least we would have a proven defense that we could build into!!

Tned
12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Usually, I can't bring myself to watch the final editions of Broncos Total Access, the final Wednesday press conference and stuff like that, because they are painful reminders. Anyway, I was watching something else that was on my DVR, and when I hit live TV, Total Access was on FSNRM taping.

They were talking about the defense, and I think something Reggie Rivers said probably sums it up, and assuming Slowick really is staying on, might indicate why Shanahan is doing so.

First, Vic Lombardi and Gary Miller, who were taped in SD right after the game, pointed out what all of us saw, which was that the defense seemed to be sharper and play better in the middle of the season when many of the starters were hurt and guys like Woodyard and Larsen were in, and that when the starters came back, the sloppy play came back.

Then, Rivers added:

Reggie Rivers - Broncos Total Access

I really think it is a talent problem. More often than not they had players who showed up in the right spot at the right moment, but then were just not able to make the play. And, it wasn't just this game, it was throughout the season, you saw guys that were out talented at the point of attack, so I believe that over the off season, they have got to get more guys in here.

The other thing they talked about was the dropped balls, and that one Broncos official during the game said that he though the game was 'too big' for Eddie Royal, and they added they thought it was too big for Marshal and Royal, who had numerous dropped passes, which the team couldn't afford, as they needed to score on every possession with this defense.

lex
12-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Usually, I can't bring myself to watch the final editions of Broncos Total Access, the final Wednesday press conference and stuff like that, because they are painful reminders. Anyway, I was watching something else that was on my DVR, and when I hit live TV, Total Access was on FSNRM taping.

They were talking about the defense, and I think something Reggie Rivers said probably sums it up, and assuming Slowick really is staying on, might indicate why Shanahan is doing so.

First, Vic Lombardi and Gary Miller, who were taped in SD right after the game, pointed out what all of us saw, which was that the defense seemed to be sharper and play better in the middle of the season when many of the starters were hurt and guys like Woodyard and Larsen were in, and that when the starters came back, the sloppy play came back.

Then, Rivers added:

The other thing they talked about was the dropped balls, and that one Broncos official during the game said that he though the game was 'too big' for Eddie Royal, and they added they thought it was too big for Marshal and Royal, who had numerous dropped passes, which the team couldn't afford, as they needed to score on every possession with this defense.

I like it when people try to place blame at the feet of the offense because they werent perfect.

Tned
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I like it when people try to place blame at the feet of the offense because they werent perfect.

Way to miss the primary point of the post, and what they were saying. :confused:

Anyway, the fact was that everyone knew the offense was going to have to play near perfect in order to win that game. Cutler was even quoted (in the Kramer or another interview) as to saying the very thing.

It was a given that Denver was not going to stop SD's offense, maybe slow it a bit, but not stop it. So, therefore the only chance to win was to outscore San Diego.

Do you believe the offense played as well as it could? Taking the flip side, do you excuse the dropped passes and overthrows because the defense sucks?

Mike
12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Talent is an argument people can use. Nobody can dispute that Denver is sorely lacking in the talent department on defense. But in this case it is a smoke screen. Slowick is not a defensive coordinator. He wasn't when the choice was between him and Bates and that was proven when he replaced Bates.

Having a revolving door is bad, but having that door settle on a no-talent bum is even worse.

The only solace I could take after watching that train wreck last night was that for certain a change would be made at d-coord. Shanahan is dead to me.