PDA

View Full Version : Final Regular Season Power Rankings

CoachChaz
12-29-2008, 12:09 AM
32. Detroit (0-16) - HISTORY

31. St. Louis (2-14) - They never quit...even though they should have

30. Kansas City (2-14) - It can only get better from here

29. Seattle (4-12) - Where do they start in the off season?

28. Cleveland (4-12) - Will Romeo work again?

27. Cincinnati (4-11-1) - Best of the worst

26. Jacksonville (5-11) - What a letdown season

25. Oakland (5-11) - Philly owes them...big time

24. Green Bay (6-10) - At least they made sure Detroit made history

23. Buffalo (7-9) - If only they could have played that bad last week

22. San Francisco (7-9) - They will be a playoff team next year

21. Houston (8-8) - .500 is becoming a theme

20. Denver (8-8) - Do they learn from their mistakes?

19. New Orleans (8-8) - Would have been nice to see Drew get the record

18. Washington (8-8) - Didnt even bother showing up

17. NY Jets (9-7) - Favre laid an egg

16. Chicago (9-7) - I think they actually gave up a few weeks ago

15. Tampa Bay (9-7) - Only one team had a bigger late season meltdown

14. Dallas (9-7) - The curse of Romo in December continued...again

13. New England (11-5) - Great season after some big blows. Probably deserved a spot in the dance

12. Arizona (9-7) - Will be interesting to see in a playoff atmosphere

11. San Diego (8-8) - Did all the right things to keep playing

10. Minnesota (10-6) - HUng tough with the World Champs

9. Atlanta (11-5) - Could be dangerous

8. Miami (11-5) - Tony Sporano...Coach Of The Year

7. Baltimore (11-5) - Defense gets to tee off on Pennington

6. Philadelphia (9-6-1) - Did what they had to do to play next week

5. Carolina (12-4) - Very dangerous with a week off

4. Indianapolis (12-4) - Firing on all cylinders. Could be a shootout in SD

3. Pittsburgh (12-4) - Why was Ben playing?

2. Tennessee (13-3) - Didnt need to show up and they didnt

1. NY Giants (12-4) - Burress is a bigger loss than expected

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Philadelphia or is my sleeper pick to win the Superbowl.
I'd also like to see Manning against Manning.

Poet
12-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I'll nitpick a bit here, as irrelevant as it may be.

Cincinnati should go ahead of Jacksonville and Oakland.

Cincinnati's tie may as well be looked at as a win. Not to try to bolster my pathetic team, but if the Eagles had a big fat L instead of the tie their season would have been different...........A LOT different.

Keeping that in mind, the Bengals beat Jacksonville and the reason why I would put them ahead of Oakland is that their record is almost exactly the same and the Bengals had a much harder schedule.

They ended the year hot, blah blah blah.

:salute:

Oh, as far as the "best" team going into the playoffs right now, I would pick the Chargers. All their glamor and glitz is gone. They are no longer a team that is built off on stars. They have changed a lot over the past month or so. San Diego is now a team that is not reliant on three or four studs on each side of the ball to dominate. They are an actual team.

They remind me a lot of San Diego, and they own the Colts. They are going to knock the Colts out of the playoffs and make the Superbowl IMO.

MHCBill
12-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Nice job Coach!

Medford Bronco
12-29-2008, 10:20 AM
I like Baltimore vs Carolina in the Super Bowl

Teams that actually play defense. (hint hint Shanny, DEFENSE) The Giants have a great shot as well obvioiusly.

Poet
12-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I like Baltimore vs Carolina in the Super Bowl

Teams that actually play defense. (hint hint Shanny, DEFENSE) The Giants have a great shot as well obvioiusly.

Baltimore is overrated. Ever since around 2005 or so they have a hard time beating any team with a great QB. Whether that QB is a great player (Manning, Brady, a healthy McNabb) or great for that one year (Palmer, Big Ben,) the list can go on for awhile.

Factor in Flacco being a rookie in the playoffs, and the fact that at some point they will be down more than a TD in a game, and I have no doubt that Baltimore is not a Superbowl team.

Medford Bronco
12-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Baltimore is overrated. Ever since around 2005 or so they have a hard time beating any team with a great QB. Whether that QB is a great player (Manning, Brady, a healthy McNabb) or great for that one year (Palmer, Big Ben,) the list can go on for awhile.

Factor in Flacco being a rookie in the playoffs, and the fact that at some point they will be down more than a TD in a game, and I have no doubt that Baltimore is not a Superbowl team.

and the Chargers are a Super Bowl team with that defense
sorry I disagree King.

My 2nd pick would be Tenn to go. Teams that play D
SD does not either. Yes they beat our pathetic team yesterday
but they have their own problems as well.

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
sorry I disagree King.

Kerry Collins or Big Ben will shred their secondary.

Poet
12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
sorry I disagree King.

Their defense is not all that bad. Tenn has no QB play, no playmakers at the WR position, and tight ends that are decent. You almost always have to have some offense. Even Tampa's SB team had a decent offense. The Ravens are not getting to the SB.

MNPatsFan
12-29-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm sorry, but the final power rankings should not be based solely on which teams made the playoffs. At a minimum, the Patriots should be ranked above Arizona, whom they crushed two weeks ago, the Vikings, and the Dolphins. The Patriots are one of the hottest teams right now in the NFL. Matt Cassel and the Patriots have gotten better almost every week of the season.

I also believe that the Titans and the Eagles are ranked too high. TN hasn't played well in three or four weeks, while the Eagles had one good game (the Cowboys helped a lot by self-destructing) after having a stinker game the previous week.

Otherwise, the rankings seem good.:salute:

CoachChaz
12-30-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry, but the final power rankings should not be based solely on which teams made the playoffs. At a minimum, the Patriots should be ranked above Arizona, whom they crushed two weeks ago, the Vikings, and the Dolphins. The Patriots are one of the hottest teams right now in the NFL. Matt Cassel and the Patriots have gotten better almost every week of the season.

I also believe that the Titans and the Eagles are ranked too high. TN hasn't played well in three or four weeks, while the Eagles had one good game (the Cowboys helped a lot by self-destructing) after having a stinker game the previous week.

Otherwise, the rankings seem good.:salute:

Yes, there are teams that are most likely better than the 12 playoff teams, but the bottom line is...they are golfing right now. So, the teams that are still playing get the higher vote.

Poet
12-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Yes, there are teams that are most likely better than the 12 playoff teams, but the bottom line is...they are golfing right now. So, the teams that are still playing get the higher vote.

I would argue that the point of the Power rankings are to rank the best team. Arizona is not even a decent team. In fact, to be honest they are bad. Like 6-10 bad. Their one quality win was against the Cowboys when they started to implode.

Who thinks the Cardinals are better than the Patriots? Who thinks the Patriots would have a worse record with that schedule? Who thinks the Cardinals would beat the Patriots if they played right now? Who thinks the Cardinals have a better coach, scheme, or philosophy than New England?

The fact is that Arizona making the playoffs is a joke.

Medford Bronco
12-31-2008, 10:04 AM
I would argue that the point of the Power rankings are to rank the best team. Arizona is not even a decent team. In fact, to be honest they are bad. Like 6-10 bad. Their one quality win was against the Cowboys when they started to implode.

Who thinks the Cardinals are better than the Patriots? Who thinks the Patriots would have a worse record with that schedule? Who thinks the Cardinals would beat the Patriots if they played right now? Who thinks the Cardinals have a better coach, scheme, or philosophy than New England?

The fact is that Arizona making the playoffs is a joke.

Sorry King but Arizona did not pick its divison it is in.

They are in. They are not 6-10 becuase they won 9 games. I agree with Coach on this one. Maybe they get killed vs Atlanta. we shall see.

SD is also 8-8 and you said they could go to a Super Bowl. They were bad vs playoff teams as well this year. 1-5 I think. So we shall see what happens.

Poet
12-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry King but Arizona did not pick its divison it is in.

They are in. They are not 6-10 becuase they won 9 games. I agree with Coach on this one. Maybe they get killed vs Atlanta. we shall see.

SD is also 8-8 and you said they could go to a Super Bowl. They were bad vs playoff teams as well this year. 1-5 I think. So we shall see what happens.

But if they could tehy would.

They are in, and it makes me sad. However, just because they are in does not make them a better team than the Patriots. The point of the power rankings is to rank the best teams.

topscribe
12-31-2008, 06:31 PM
I guess you have to place the Cardinals where you did, because they are in the
playoffs (due to their pathetic Division), but the nine teams ranked just below
them can whip them.

-----

MNPatsFan
01-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Yes, there are teams that are most likely better than the 12 playoff teams, but the bottom line is...they are golfing right now. So, the teams that are still playing get the higher vote.I'm sorry, but as King wrote, the purpose of the power ranking is to rate the teams from BEST to worst, not the playoff teams then the teams from best to worst. If a non-playoff team, team A, would beat a playoff team, team B, on a neutral field then team A should and must be ranked higher than team B.

Coach, using your same logic I guess you (and every Texas Longhorn fan) agree that Oklahoma deserves to be ranked higher than Texas and therefore deserves to be playing Florida for the National Championship.;)

MOtorboat
01-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry, but as King wrote, the purpose of the power ranking is to rate the teams from BEST to worst, not the playoff teams then the teams from best to worst. If a non-playoff team, team A, would beat a playoff team, team B, on a neutral field then team A should and must be ranked higher than team B.

Coach, using your same logic I guess you (and every Texas Longhorn fan) agree that Oklahoma deserves to be ranked higher than Texas and therefore deserves to be playing Florida for the National Championship.;)

I think Coach's point is that it doesn't matter if New England can beat San Diego, because they didn't get what they needed to get done to get in to the playoffs.

I think I agree with coach's reasoning here.

I think you've made the National Championship comparison incorrectly. What Coach is saying is that, for whatever reason, Oklahoma is there and Texas isn't, so you HAVE to rate Oklahoma higher than Texas regardless of what would happen on a neutral field.

Since we already know who is in and who is out, then the argument that Team A could beat Team B, even though Team A isn't in the playoffs is a moot point.

Slick
01-01-2009, 01:20 PM
I looked forward to this every week. Thanks for taking the time Coach.

MNPatsFan
01-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I think Coach's point is that it doesn't matter if New England can beat San Diego, because they didn't get what they needed to get done to get in to the playoffs.

I think I agree with coach's reasoning here.

I think you've made the National Championship comparison incorrectly. What Coach is saying is that, for whatever reason, Oklahoma is there and Texas isn't, so you HAVE to rate Oklahoma higher than Texas regardless of what would happen on a neutral field.

Since we already know who is in and who is out, then the argument that Team A could beat Team B, even though Team A isn't in the playoffs is a moot point.MB, I understand what you are saying, but the whole point of Power Rankings is to rank the teams in descending order from best to worst. Therefore, if the Broncos, Patriots or some other team is better than the Cardinals, Vikings, etc. then they should be ranked higher than them in the Power Rankings regardless of which teams made it into the playoffs.

Using a different analogy and the logic of you, Coach, Med, etc. then that means the 65 teams that make it into the Men's NCAA College Basketball Tournament are the 65 best and strongest men's college basketball teams in the country.;) Therefore, Coppin State was a better and stronger basketball team than Arizona State, Ohio St, Virginia Tech, Massachusetts and/or some of the other quality teams that were excluded from last year's tournament. This analogy works really well because Coppin State and the other similar teams cannot help that they play in significantly weaker conferences than teams that play in the PAC 10, ACC, etc. just as Arizona, the Vikings, etc. can't help that they play in pathetically weak divisions.:D

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Using a different analogy and the logic of you, Coach, Med, etc. then that means the 65 teams that make it into the Men's NCAA College Basketball Tournament are the 65 best and strongest men's college basketball teams in the country.;) Therefore, Coppin State was a better and stronger basketball team than Arizona State, Ohio St, Virginia Tech, Massachusetts and/or some of the other quality teams that were excluded from last year's tournament. This analogy works really well because Coppin State and the other similar teams cannot help that they play in significantly weaker conferences than teams that play in the PAC 10, ACC, etc. just as Arizona, the Vikings, etc. can't help that they play in pathetically weak divisions.:D

Point understood.

But, which team was in the tournament, and which one wasn't?

Nature Boy
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
New England is ranked #13 on that list but I think they are better than the bottom half of the 12 teams that made the playoffs.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 10:03 PM
New England is ranked #13 on that list but I think they are better than the bottom half of the 12 teams that made the playoffs.

It's been addressed, or does your superior intellect not include reading the thread?

bengaaaaals1688
01-03-2009, 12:45 AM
It's been addressed, or does your superior intellect not include reading the thread?

If you have superior intellect, you don't need to read a thread because you already know every post, and every word in the thread.

MNPatsFan
01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Point understood.

But, which team was in the tournament, and which one wasn't?The issue of which team was in the tournament and which wasn't is a completely different and separate issue from which team is better, more powerful, and should be ranked higher in a power ranking of the BEST teams.;)

CoachChaz
01-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I think the NFl playoffs and the NCAA tounrament are two completely different ideas. In the NFL you have to win to get in and your "invitation" is determined by your overall record.

In the NCAA tournament, teams are hand-picked and others get an automatic bid by simply winning one tournament all year.

I agree that NE is better than some teams on the list, but my list was done as a pre-empt to the playoffs. Once the season is said and done, I'll do a new one based on the overall season