PDA

View Full Version : Nate Jackson: Broncos coach Fox "brave" for starting Tim Tebow

broncobryce
10-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Editor's note: Former Broncos tight end Nate Jackson has begun his second career as a freelance writer. The following is his analysis of the Tim Tebow saga with the Denver Broncos:

Winning the starting quarterback position in the NFL used to be simple. Do you play well in games?

Not anymore. Now it's about practice. Many quarterbacks, including Kyle Orton​, are great practice quarterbacks.

The practice quarterback is an executor of the coach's plan. The coach falls deeply in love with the plan executor and sees him as a guy who gets it, a guy who can operate a system, can punch the clock and calculate the percentages and work the formulas and the probabilities and spit out the right answer at the end of it.

READ THE REST
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19139125

Davii
10-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Good article by Nate. I agree with him almost completely.

broncobryce
10-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Good article by Nate. I agree with him almost completely.

I love Nate's articles. He has great insight on what its like on the inside.

dogfish
10-18-2011, 03:39 PM
no braver than nate is, showing his face again after taking such a horrendous beatdown from a punter. . .

:lol:

BroncoStud
10-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't think it was brave at all. Fox would have been hunted down by mobs in the streets if he didn't make the move at some point. It was probably actually the SAFER decision.

vandammage13
10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I enjoyed the article and agreed pretty much with everything he had to say except the part about Fox being brave for going with Tebow.

If Fox had his way, Orton would still be the starter had he not forced Fox's hand with horrid play. Fox actually fits the bill to a T of the coaches that fall in love with practice players that Nate Jackson was describing.

Very well written article though, with an interesting perspective from someone who actually played the game.

Tned
10-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Glad someone posted this. I read it earlier and meant to do so, but got sidetracked.

If you didn't click on the link and read it, do so, really nice read.

vandammage13
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Glad someone posted this. I read it earlier and meant to do so, but got sidetracked.

Me too...I read it and thought it was worth posting, but I just didn't have the motivation to do it.

Dreadnought
10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
I enjoyed the article and agreed pretty much with everything he had to say except the part about Fox being brave for going with Tebow.

If Fox had his way, Orton would still be the starter had he not forced Fox's hand with horrid play. Fox actually fits the bill to a T of the coaches that fall in love with practice players that Nate Jackson was describing.

Very well written article though, with an interesting perspective from someone who actually played the game.

Maybe Fox doesn't fit our preconceptions either? maybe there is substance to this guy. I suspect that's the case. That would be great!

slim
10-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Maybe Fox doesn't fit our preconceptions either? maybe there is substance to this guy. I suspect that's the case. That would be great!

I agree. To suggest that he is incapable of learning from his mistakes is silly.

dogfish
10-18-2011, 04:01 PM
no braver than nate is, showing his face again after taking such a horrendous beatdown from a punter. . .

off-topic, but i feel no nate jackson thread can be complete without this epic shredding. . .

nate jackson rips on chris kluwe (http://deadspin.com/5823549/dear-chris-kluwe-when-we-want-the-punters-opinion-well-ask-for-it-we-wont)

chris kluwe shreds nate jackson (http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can)

Let's be honest here. Yes, I am a punter. Yes, I don't run routes, or zone block, or cover receivers. Apparently, though, neither did you, which is the only explanation for your total lack of statistics. You, more than anyone else, should know what goes on during special teams. . .

good stuff. . . :D

vandammage13
10-18-2011, 04:09 PM

It's possible...I hope that's what it is.

I guess his comments in the offseason that he wanted a "gamer" and the fact that he ended up going with Orton left a sour taste in my mouth that still lingers.

horsepig
10-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Very good article by Jackson. He said a little of what I like to harp on, that NFL coaches are not the be-all-know-all some give them credit for.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-18-2011, 05:32 PM

I guess you don't really know a ton about Fox. Fox catches a lot of crap for sticking with Jake Delhomme for so long after it was obvious he was going in the tank, but lets not forget who started Delhomme, a relative nobody UDFA, when his "polished" starter Rodney Pete was stinking it up and his prodigy QB of the future (Chris Weinke) sucked ass. Fox made the decision to pull Pete at halftime and put in Delhomme. The rest is history. They went to a Superbowl together and won a lot of games. Did he hang on to Delhomme too long? Yes. Did he have another viable option at the time? No. At least he pulled the plug on the Orton era when he did. If he was really as stubborn and old-fashioned as people think, Orton would be starting the whole season barring injury.

I believe that Fox is a football guy. He coaches it, he lives it, and he's not overwhelmed by it like some. No, he's not some flash in the pan hotshot coordinator who is full of piss and vinegar and whose schemes will change the face of football - pending of course he always has the exact personnel to run it perfectly which few teams have.

Fox is exactly the kind of coach we needed in Denver. Someone who has both succeeded and failed. Someone who knows what it's like to reach the Superbowl and also to be on the bad end of a losing season. Fox, Gruden, or Cowher were the choice and neither Gruden or Cowher wanted the job. We got Fox and I'm happy with that. The last thing we needed was another rookie HC who was going to get overwhelmed by a team lacking in talent.

If we aren't back in the playoffs by 2013, I'll be shocked.

broncobryce
10-18-2011, 06:51 PM
I guess you don't really know a ton about Fox. Fox catches a lot of crap for sticking with Jake Delhomme for so long after it was obvious he was going in the tank, but lets not forget who started Delhomme, a relative nobody UDFA, when his "polished" starter Rodney Pete was stinking it up and his prodigy QB of the future (Chris Weinke) sucked ass. Fox made the decision to pull Pete at halftime and put in Delhomme. The rest is history. They went to a Superbowl together and won a lot of games. Did he hang on to Delhomme too long? Yes. Did he have another viable option at the time? No. At least he pulled the plug on the Orton era when he did. If he was really as stubborn and old-fashioned as people think, Orton would be starting the whole season barring injury.

I believe that Fox is a football guy. He coaches it, he lives it, and he's not overwhelmed by it like some. No, he's not some flash in the pan hotshot coordinator who is full of piss and vinegar and whose schemes will change the face of football - pending of course he always has the exact personnel to run it perfectly which few teams have.

Fox is exactly the kind of coach we needed in Denver. Someone who has both succeeded and failed. Someone who knows what it's like to reach the Superbowl and also to be on the bad end of a losing season. Fox, Gruden, or Cowher were the choice and neither Gruden or Cowher wanted the job. We got Fox and I'm happy with that. The last thing we needed was another rookie HC who was going to get overwhelmed by a team lacking in talent.

If we aren't back in the playoffs by 2013, I'll be shocked.

Bingo. I'm glad he made the right choice in benching Orton. I also think he is excellent at coaching up the guys he has without screaming at them. I wouldn't be a bit suprised if denver hits the playoffs next season

Tned
10-18-2011, 07:39 PM
HP, on tablet, to hard to quote. I think you make some great points. It's also worth noting that Delohmme wasn't a conservative no risk QB. He tended to be a high risk/high reward QB that was always looking for the big play.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2011, 09:29 PM

Nate is a pretty good writer. I'm surprised a network hasn't put him behind a camera yet.

shank
10-18-2011, 09:41 PM
nate jackson is a badass. anyone have the link when he (it HAD to be him) registered on the main site and posted in dream's thread?

he used to do preseason interviews with a cockney accent.

he was worth using a roster spot on, even if he never caught a pass in his career.

dogfish
10-18-2011, 09:45 PM
nate jackson is a badass. anyone have the link when he (it HAD to be him) registered on the main site and posted in dream's thread?

he was worth using a roster spot on, even if he never caught a pass in his career.

i've posted it here before. . . that was pretty effin' sweet. . .

Buff
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM

i've posted it here before. . . that was pretty effin' sweet. . .

I don't remember this. What did he say?

shank
10-18-2011, 10:36 PM
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=98305&highlight=nate&page=3

FlyByU
10-18-2011, 10:59 PM
I don't think it was brave at all. Fox would have been hunted down by mobs in the streets if he didn't make the move at some point. It was probably actually the SAFER decision.

Yeah and them mob's include 30+ year fans that are sick of seeing Orton lose.

On subject now.

Nate said some things that everyone knows or should know but don't want to hear. NFL is full of bad and imperfect dissension making. I agree for the most part this is a well thought out article allowing fans to see a glimpse of the real NFL and how they decide who they think gives "The best chance to win".

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2011, 11:15 PM

That may be the most epic thing I've ever read on that message board.

:laugh:

dogfish
10-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Nate said some things that everyone knows or should know but don't want to hear. NFL is full of bad and imperfect dissension making.

nate's an ingrate! that type of bad decision-making was exactly what allowed him to have a job in the NFL for a while. . . .

:D

dogfish
10-19-2011, 12:00 AM

the best part was when he said he was a better blocker and route runner than scheffler, and we should cut teyo johnson instead. . . .

shank
10-19-2011, 12:52 AM
we could sign nate tomorrow and i'd be a happy camper.

Canmore
10-19-2011, 05:10 AM
What choice did Fox have. Orton had clearly played himself out of a job. At least things should be exciting for the next eleven games. Heck, I'm excited.

Dreadnought
10-19-2011, 08:21 AM
we could sign nate tomorrow and i'd be a happy camper.

Same here. Its not like we can't find at least one stiff on a roster of 53 who wouldn't be missed :laugh:

Nate got dogged by some bad luck, no question. But he sure ate up Dream there!

claymore
10-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Same here. Its not like we can't find at least one stiff on a roster of 53 who wouldn't be missed :laugh:

Nate got dogged by some bad luck, no question. But he sure ate up Dream there!

Id venture to guess we could find 30-40. :D

Dreadnought
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Id venture to guess we could find 30-40. :D

Oh ye of little faith. I actually don't think we're as bad as some people think. We have an adult coach now, and the last draft was decent. We have been laboring under the terrible burden of Kyle Orton and his soggy and flaccid leadership, but that problem has resolved itself - as in, Tebow may not be the answer, but I think we have now seen the last of Kyle the Fainting Goat.

We'll win a few games with the guys on this roster. I already think we are a tougher opponent than the 2010 Broncos.