PDA

View Full Version : A New Direction = Parting ways with Champ

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 01:29 PM
In the perfect world, the Broncos could have some nice trade talks with the name "Champ Bailey" with other teams, whom want to make that extra special playoff push. The Broncos could look at it a few ways, either Champ is the face of the franchise, or its time to move on, and take on a new challenge of developing a younger team and a new direction.

I would choose to trade Champ, for a few different reasons.

First off, Champ Bailey brings a locker room presence that players respect.
Second, Champ is still one of the top players in the league at his position
Third, Champ is the only asset and ace in the hole Denver has for bringing in either a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.
Forth, Denver needs to move on and gather up assets in order to make a real move in the division, and move forward.

Denver looks at this a possible trade a few ways.

Look at what the Eagles are asking, and call up the same teams that the Eagles are negotiating with. I would say Champ is worth more then Asante Samuel, if Champ "Were" or "Was" to be available. Some whispers are that Detroit may be offering up to a 2nd round pick for Asante. Champ should be able to commend more on the table.

MileHighCrew
10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
leave Champ alone. Makes me happy he survived all of these crazy years and is still a Bronco

chazoe60
10-18-2011, 01:32 PM
You should take two weeks off from posting then retire.

Skacorica
10-18-2011, 01:35 PM
While Champ can still play CB, Champ should be a Broncos CB. When he can no longer do that, I want him to be the Broncos FS. When he can no longer do that, I want him to coach new Broncos DBs how they should play the position.

Cugel
10-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Champ just signed a contract extension to finish his career as a Bronco. He could have at least 4 more years, possibly more than that if they move him to safety at some point.

They should just relax and let him play. He's the most professional player on the team. The only defender who was playing with real skill and making plays towards the end of last season.

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 01:38 PM
You should take two weeks off from posting then retire.

you should go back to your hole, and let my donkey piss on you again.

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 01:39 PM
While Champ can still play CB, Champ should be a Broncos CB. When he can no longer do that, I want him to be the Broncos FS. When he can no longer do that, I want him to coach new Broncos DBs how they should play the position.

I like that, nobody can complain about that.

Nobody in management ever stated much about Champ, and the direction the team wanted to take with Champ Bailey, I like your suggestion also.

UnderArmour
10-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Why would we trade Champ? I guarantee you, not even bullshitting here, that Tim Tebow will take us to the playoffs next year. We aren't as far off as people think we are.

Davii
10-18-2011, 01:46 PM
'Champ should not be traded. He's the best player we have, and probably the most selfless. He decided to stay in Denver when he could've commanded more money, and could've gone to a team that isn't rebuilding.

The Broncos owe Champ the ability to finish his career where he wants too. What better voice could wr have leading younger defenders and teaching new secondary players in the years to come?

You don't turn your back on a hall of famer that just showed serious loyalty. Trade Champ and it will be even harder to bring in veteran help via free agency.

chazoe60
10-18-2011, 01:46 PM
you should go back to your hole, and let my donkey piss on you again.

Last thing I need to see is your donkey tea-bagging you.

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Why would we trade Champ? I guarantee you, not even bullshitting here, that Tim Tebow will take us to the playoffs next year. We aren't as far off as people think we are.

The Raiders are pretty hard to stop on the run. We need a solid D-Line, which is still something the Broncos didn't fix in the offseason.

The Chargers still own the division, and we need to win outside the division and keep pace like the Chargers. The pass game, and run game is still second tier when having the type of offense to rack up wins like the Chargers do. The Chargers have been beaten by a solid run game, and great pass defense, which the Broncos still don't have.

The Chiefs are streaky, and we still have the same problem as when we face the Raiders. Can't stop the run, and no clock control.

I disagree, we are a year out of the playoffs. I believe atleast 2 more seasons or more before being competitive again, like in years past.

Zweems56
10-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Trading Champ would be the ultimate slap in the face. Dude has been nothing but wonderful for us, and if there's any player in the league that should have left his team and joined one with a shot to be a contender, it's him. Utmost respect for that man.

hotcarl
10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Trading Champ would be the ultimate slap in the face. Dude has been nothing but wonderful for us, and if there's any player in the league that should have left his team and joined one with a shot to be a contender, it's him. Utmost respect for that man.

thats why we should have traded him, to let him win a championship somewhere and put him out of his misery

if you love someone, let them go

BroncoStud
10-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Don't even think about trading Champ. He's a Bronco and needs to retire a Bronco. On top of that he is still a very good CB. Champ is my favorite Bronco on the roster and has done everything right since coming here. Reward him for his loyalty. Please EFX, no trading Champ.

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 02:04 PM
thats why we should have traded him, to let him win a championship somewhere and put him out of his misery

Elway was quoted as saying "Champ is going to retire his HOF Career in Denver". So its likely he will never get traded.

Im not so sure how much the Logan Mankins deal is on the back burner for Champ Bailey, but I always liked that option.

NightTerror218
10-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Can we take a vote HO off the island for a few weeks because of topics like this?

NightTerror218
10-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Tned......why why why did you do that?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ravage!!!
10-18-2011, 02:12 PM

Uhmm... that saying only makes sense if they WANT to go. If they want to stay, then you are saying "If you love someone, shove them out the door."

dogfish
10-18-2011, 02:14 PM
can we trade HO for Hoes?

Zweems56
10-18-2011, 02:19 PM

He had the option to let his contract run out, but he chose to stay with his shitty boyfriend, thinking that he'd turn himself around. We have no right to dump him now for no reason.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2011, 02:19 PM

LMAO

We're a new coach away from making the playoffs, and then some rebuilding years.

I thought you were NFL smarter than that.

Zweems56
10-18-2011, 02:25 PM
LMAO

We're a new coach away from making the playoffs, and then some rebuilding years.

Did you shudder when you read that? I shuddered.

MOtorboat
10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
**** no.

And if the Lloyd trade didn't tell you how little value you receive in in-season trades...

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Uhmm... that saying only makes sense if they WANT to go. If they want to stay, then you are saying "If you love someone, shove them out the door."

What do we owe Champ Bailey, other then a chance at a Super Bowl on a Contender.

If we moved Champ Bailey, it opens up cap space next season to sign a new Cornerbacks to move in next season. Guys like Cortland Finnegan, Aaron Ross, Tracy Porter, Rashean Mathis, Lardarius Webb, Tim Jennings all available. Champ Bailey Money could be used in signing a pair of these corners. Also safeties b. Merriweather, and Laron Landry are available to shore up a great make shift pass defense, if the Broncos moved this way.

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
:beer:
LMAO

:beer:

Northman
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
I dont have a problem with HO's thread honestly. Its something that has come up before but i also agree with some of the other posters in that Champ is a proven commodity, has just signed a long term deal and should retire a Bronco. Its sad that he probably wont ever get to a SB (doesnt mean he wont) but he is still one of the best DB's in the NFL and there is no pick or player right now worth trading him for. This team still needs some work and the best we can hope for is draft wisely the next couple of years and hope to make a run while Champ is still able to perform at a high level.

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
**** no.

And if the Lloyd trade didn't tell you how little value you receive in in-season trades...

This turned into a Ronde Barber type of discussion. Our guy retires with the team

HammeredOut
10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
I dont have a problem with HO's thread honestly. Its something that has come up before but i also agree with some of the other posters in that Champ is a proven commodity, has just signed a long term deal and should retire a Bronco. Its sad that he probably wont ever get to a SB (doesnt mean he wont) but he is still one of the best DB's in the NFL and there is no pick or player right now worth trading him for. This team still needs some work and the best we can hope for is draft wisely the next couple of years and hope to make a run while Champ is still able to perform at a high level.

My point is, what good is one of the top 5 corners in the league sitting on our team with a bad losing record, when teams like Philly are asking 2nd round draft picks for Asante Samuel. Champ is a bit better then Samuel, and since we are rebuilding, it makes a lot of sense to move forward, and chase after a Cortland Finnegan next offseason in free agency.

I would like to see Champ Bailey win the superbowl, but the reality is, Champ Bailey would have never received that type of money on the open market, and the Broncos management really did do him a favor by giving him such a large amount of money.

NightTerror218
10-18-2011, 02:42 PM
My point is, what good is one of the top 5 corners in the league sitting on our team with a bad losing record, when teams like Philly are asking 2nd round draft picks for Asante Samuel. Champ is a bit better then Samuel, and since we are rebuilding, it makes a lot of sense to move forward, and chase after a Cortland Finnegan next offseason in free agency.

I would like to see Champ Bailey win the superbowl, but the reality is, Champ Bailey would have never received that type of money on the open market, and the Broncos management really did do him a favor by giving him such a large amount of money.

For 1 I hate Finnegan and Champ is a fan favorite. He has been the face of the franchise for some time now. That would be like kicking a man in the junk then slapping his wife and then peeing on his kids all in front of him. Would not go over with team and EFX would lose this team so fast, fans would call for their heads and they would be considered the 2nd coming of McD. It would be a horrible idea. He is one of the only leaders left on the team. You cant have a team of all youngsters with no vets to lead them.

Northman
10-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Depends.

If we were 5-10 years away from being a possible contender i would say yes. But this day and age in the NFL you can turn it around quite quickly. If we can be playoff bound in 2-3 years i have no problem with keeping Champ here. It just depends on when you think we can be a contender again.

Zweems56
10-18-2011, 03:02 PM
**** no.

Value of in-season trades? Did you hear about the Palmer to Oakland one yet? I'm not saying trade Champ, but my lord. Look at what the freaking Raitards just gave up for Palmer.

getlynched47
10-18-2011, 03:40 PM
A) Our defense sucks, and Champ is our best defender. Do you want our defense to be worse?

B) We would never get fair value for Champ Bailey because of his contract and his age. He's still playing like a top 3 cornerback, but we wouldn't get that kind of compensation in return.

C) This thread is gay.

shank
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
permaban this chump. not only dump champ, but sign finnigan? after that, we can all poop in our shoes!!! keep them ideas coming tiger!

chazoe60
10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
permaban this chump. not only dump champ, but sign finnigan? after that, we can all poop in our shoes!!! keep them ideas coming tiger!

He also says Bradshaw was a better QB than Elway and used QBR to say Orton is better than Elway also.

And he thinks a law should be passed to force the Redskins to change their name.

HO rocks!

ikillz0mbies
10-18-2011, 09:22 PM
once dawkins is gone, you trade bailey? there goes the leadership on the defensive side of the ball.

WARHORSE
10-18-2011, 10:51 PM
In the perfect world, the Broncos could have some nice trade talks with the name "Champ Bailey" with other teams, whom want to make that extra special playoff push. The Broncos could look at it a few ways, either Champ is the face of the franchise, or its time to move on, and take on a new challenge of developing a younger team and a new direction.

I would choose to trade Champ, for a few different reasons.

First off, Champ Bailey brings a locker room presence that players respect.
Second, Champ is still one of the top players in the league at his position
Third, Champ is the only asset and ace in the hole Denver has for bringing in either a 1st or 2nd round draft pick.
Forth, Denver needs to move on and gather up assets in order to make a real move in the division, and move forward.

Denver looks at this a possible trade a few ways.

Look at what the Eagles are asking, and call up the same teams that the Eagles are negotiating with. I would say Champ is worth more then Asante Samuel, if Champ "Were" or "Was" to be available. Some whispers are that Detroit may be offering up to a 2nd round pick for Asante. Champ should be able to commend more on the table.

Ya had me till your forth point........:coffee:

shank
10-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Ya had me till your forth point........:coffee:

really? you were on board until he misspelled a word, even though he said that he would trade champ because: and then proceeded to list the exact reasons why it would be idiotic to trade champ?

BroncoStud
10-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Champ must retire a Bronco. At least give us THAT much after all that was taken.

Canmore
10-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Champ must retire a Bronco. At least give us THAT much after all that was taken.

Amen!

DenBronx
10-19-2011, 02:58 AM
No, Champ is off limits. He's been loyal to the Broncos so the Broncos and the fans need to be loyal back. It's not his fault we have sucked so bad.

Canmore
10-19-2011, 04:29 AM
I can't see parting with Champ. I just don't see it in the cards. I can understand the sentiment in wanting him to get a ring, but he should retire a Bronco.

claymore
10-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Our defense wouldnt be that much worse without Champ. He has been an excercise in futility. We never gave him any help.

Having said that, I dont see how we could be better by trading him. I couldnt see getting anymore than a 2nd for him... If we could get a badass RB or DT or something Id be all for it. But we cant/wouldnt.

MasterShake
10-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Our defense wouldnt be that much worse without Champ. He has been an excercise in futility. We never gave him any help.

Having said that, I dont see how we could be better by trading him. I couldnt see getting anymore than a 2nd for him... If we could get a badass RB or DT or something Id be all for it. But we cant/wouldnt.

The whole problem with a deal like this is that yes, you do get draft picks, but then comes the real challenge of drafting well. I liked what I saw last year but there are no guarantees in the draft. Champ gives us a veteran presence, he can still play, and he WANTS to be here. He is a lone bright spot of stability and trading him would make me want to buy EFX all puppies, wait until they fell in love with them, and then murder the puppies in front of them.

claymore
10-19-2011, 07:53 AM
The whole problem with a deal like this is that yes, you do get draft picks, but then comes the real challenge of drafting well. I liked what I saw last year but there are no guarantees in the draft. Champ gives us a veteran presence, he can still play, and he WANTS to be here. He is a lone bright spot of stability and trading him would make me want to buy EFX all puppies, wait until they fell in love with them, and then murder the puppies in front of them.

My problem with Champ is that his lone bright spot is easy to bypass by any OC/QB that is marginally good. All they have to do is avoid him. Which is EASY against our porous D.

BUT!!! I dont think we would get that much for him, nor do I think we could replace his talent with the 2nd to 4th rd pick we'd get for him.

We should have traded Champ a few years ago. Now, its not worth it. IMO.

Dreadnought
10-19-2011, 08:27 AM
My problem with Champ is that his lone bright spot is easy to bypass by any OC/QB that is marginally good. All they have to do is avoid him. Which is EASY against our porous D.

BUT!!! I dont think we would get that much for him, nor do I think we could replace his talent with the 2nd to 4th rd pick we'd get for him.

We should have traded Champ a few years ago. Now, its not worth it. IMO.

McDaniels would have traded Champ for Tavaris Jackson or something, and probably thrown in a 4th for good measure. Just as well we kept him, Clay.

claymore
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
McDaniels would have traded Champ for Tavaris Jackson or something, and probably thrown in a 4th for good measure. Just as well we kept him, Clay.

I dont trust McD for anything. I trust Shannahan could have drafted someone on offense to compensate.

The point being, we werent going to allow that many more TD's because champ was gone. The biggest help he provided us was on ST and Run support. IMO.

He might lock down a receiver 3 times a game, but they had 5-6 other places to throw too. JMO. He is great, but he had zero help.

Dreadnought
10-19-2011, 08:38 AM
I dont trust McD for anything. I trust Shannahan could have drafted someone on offense to compensate.

The point being, we werent going to allow that many more TD's because champ was gone. The biggest help he provided us was on ST and Run support. IMO.

He might lock down a receiver 3 times a game, but they had 5-6 other places to throw too. JMO. He is great, but he had zero help.

I wasn't so much disagreeing with you as taking the opportunity to level another insult at McDaniels. I still don't tire of it.

claymore
10-19-2011, 08:41 AM
I wasn't so much disagreeing with you as taking the opportunity to level another insult at McDaniels. I still don't tire of it.

Yeah, Im high on coffee, so my replies are going to be long regardless. :D

The champ thing is sensitive to me because I never wanted to lose Portis.

I think we could have gone further with Plummer :harf: and Portis than we could have with Plummer/Bailey.

JMO.... :coffee:

BroncoBully
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I like the idea of Champ as a free defender at safety. we need to get a couple young playmakers on the outside. The type that will give up catches and make plays. I feel like the ravens get more interceptions/int Touchdowns in one game then we do in 3 years. let the young risk takers play cb with Champ roamin in the backfield.

BroncoNut
10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Don't even think about trading Champ. He's a Bronco and needs to retire a Bronco. On top of that he is still a very good CB. Champ is my favorite Bronco on the roster and has done everything right since coming here. Reward him for his loyalty. Please EFX, no trading Champ.

See, to me, that's selfish as a fan. Champ should be able to do whatever he want's to; wether it be stay or look for other opportunities in the league. Just because he's been loyal doesn't mean we own him.

claymore
10-19-2011, 09:22 AM
See, to me, that's selfish as a fan. Champ should be able to do whatever he want's to; wether it be stay or look for other opportunities in the league. Just because he's been loyal doesn't mean we own him.

He wouldnt be so loyal if we didnt give him 100 million in contracts. The Broncos have been nothing but class to champ. I cant believe we paid his 13 mill salary last year (was it last year?).

BroncoNut
10-19-2011, 09:24 AM
He wouldnt be so loyal if we didnt give him 100 million in contracts. The Broncos have been nothing but class to champ. I cant believe we paid his 13 mill salary last year (was it last year?).

that too, but I'm not up on contracts and such. people can be really self serving and naiive though when it comes to "handling" others.

HammeredOut
10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
He also says Bradshaw was a better QB than Elway and used QBR to say Orton is better than Elway also.

And he thinks a law should be passed to force the Redskins to change their name.

HO rocks!

Terry Bradshaw has his ears and eyes plugged with his superbowl rings when it comes to you Chazoe.. Still hate the superbowl numbers and stats.. 2 : 1 TD to Int ratio for Bradshaw, and was a 1 : 2 TD to Int ratio for Elway.. Superbowl rings speak for themselves.. We don't need to go over the numbers again.. You lost in that thread.. hang them up, and piss on your C.P.U.

I believe we compared QBR between Orton, and Elway and found that Elway only had 2 seasons with a better rating.. so what..

As for the Redskins name.. If it wasn't for racism, and ignorance, what fun would immigrants have at the expense of painting themselves red, and trying to act like an Aboriginal from North America. A fan was called racist in F1 racing because he painted himself black, and cheered for his favorite black driver. Now if 1 person can be called a racist, you can imagine what its like when an entire city like Washington are on national TV with people acting savagely, to mimic aboriginal people in North America.

To clarify things up into perspective.

HammeredOut
10-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Why do we pay anybody that amount of money on defense when we were the last ranked defense in the league. I think that in this new league in this day in age, its better to have 2 players at 7 million a piece, who are better then average, then 1 player at 13 million. When we have to defend 5 receivers on the field, Champ Bailey cant be in 5 places at once. Thats when we start getting burned with our 4th and 5th depth guys defending WRs who specialize in 1 or 2 routes. Our practice squad CBs, and whatever is on the backend is not competitive enough when it comes to defending the pass. I believe the money needs to be distributed around better with more talent at the CB position. This league doesnt do well with just 1 shutdown CB these days, teams are capable of bringing multiple players with over 1000 yards at the end of the season.

This is a league that has a few teams that took notice to what kind of considerable depth you need at the cornerback position. Namely the NY Jets, SD Chargers, NO Saints, to some extent the GB Packers. If you are a spread offense, and you are gearing up to play these defenses with a sound pass attack, you might as well say "Goodnight Irene". Sure, each defense has the one main shut down guy, but its the committee of talent that overwhelms passing offenses. The Broncos are not close to that yet.

MOtorboat
10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
You do realize that three of the four teams you listed in your defense of why Champ shouldn't be paid have extremely high paid cornerbacks, right?

HammeredOut
10-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Solid point.

An article came out not long ago suggesting that 4000 is the new 3000, and 400 was the new 300.

In a passing league that relies on a ton of speed. It would make sense to load up with 3 good cornerbacks, instead of 1 great corner and 2 below average players. The top passing defenses rely on nickle defenses to stuff 3rd down, and can usually use a cornerback to cover either the slot or the extra TE who might bust off the line. With players like Antonio Gates, T Gonzo, and whoever, defenses are not shying away with using the extra corner to cover, and TEs are not surprised.

I believe that if you have a great pass rush, that any team can get away with having below average corners, such as teams like Pit, Bal, most recently detroit. If you have great corners and no pass rush, then obviously it doesnt matter who you have playing Corner. Everything starts at the D-line.

Teams that run spread, now force teams into nickle, and it kills the pass rush because the pass rush is so obvious and its easier to block with some zone-boot leg scheme, or simply sitting in the pocket with your hots running slants and outs, picking up the 6 yard play.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Sometimes it seems as if guys just want to go with an all rookie team or a team that averages 25 years old or less. Champ is worth way more to us than he'd bring in draft compensation (probably a 3rd or a 4th at this stage) plus he's a consummate pro on and off the field.

When his skills start declining - and I mean really start declining - and his replacement is on the roster, then I might consider a position change to Safety for him. Until then, who is going to help build the future of this team into a contender?

An NFL team is just like a business. The older workers have to train the junior ones to someday do their job. There just aren't enough coaches on the roster to give the personalized attention that some guys need.

So, when we trade off and or cut all of our vets and have a team full of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players, who is going to lead? Who is going to teach Cassius Vaughn and Syd'quan Thompson to play CB at the NFL level? Who are going to be the guys that the coaches can lean on for help teaching the others? Doesn't make sense. Even the relatively "young" teams have a couple crafty old vets they look to when times are tough for leadership.

HammeredOut
10-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Sometimes it seems as if guys just want to go with an all rookie team or a team that averages 25 years old or less. Champ is worth way more to us than he'd bring in draft compensation (probably a 3rd or a 4th at this stage) plus he's a consummate pro on and off the field.

When his skills start declining - and I mean really start declining - and his replacement is on the roster, then I might consider a position change to Safety for him. Until then, who is going to help build the future of this team into a contender?

An NFL team is just like a business. The older workers have to train the junior ones to someday do their job. There just aren't enough coaches on the roster to give the personalized attention that some guys need.

So, when we trade off and or cut all of our vets and have a team full of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players, who is going to lead? Who is going to teach Cassius Vaughn and Syd'quan Thompson to play CB at the NFL level? Who are going to be the guys that the coaches can lean on for help teaching the others? Doesn't make sense. Even the relatively "young" teams have a couple crafty old vets they look to when times are tough for leadership.

Well you sort of furthered a point i was trying to make.

Who do you want on the field when it comes to defending 3rd and 4th receivers. Do you want to have guys like C. Vaughn, and S. Thompson on the field on 3rd down covering top slot receivers in the league. Or should we have spread the money around on have 3 other guys who average 4 to 7 million a season and make just as much as Champ does in one season, with a better opportunity to stop 3rd downs from the corner position. I would take the 3 above average players over 1 great player like Champ. I love Champ, but lets consider what other options may be available if the team is spending top dollar.

If Champ is only worth a 3rd or a 4th round pick, then does that mean we drastically overpaid him to be the stopgap face of the broncos franchise. Is that not a hefty price to pay, and is it really worth that kind of money.