PDA

View Full Version : So, who all do we get rid of this offseason?

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Slowbrain
Our whole defense other than maybe a few of the young guys.
Prater

Thoughts?

lex
12-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Bly, Webster, Williams?, Ekuban?, ...

weazel
12-28-2008, 10:26 PM
every talent scout in the organization

ikillz0mbies
12-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Marquand Manuel......

weazel
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM
to be honest, I would love to see Champ traded. He is a waste on this team and should be traded to a contender

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
to be honest, I would love to see Champ traded. He is a waste on this team and should be traded to a contender

Agreed. He is damaged goods at this point. Seems like he hurts his groin every year. If we can get good value for him, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

silkamilkamonico
12-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Keep the offense.

Get rid of Shanahan, the entire coaching staff around him, and the entire defense.

I feel like we could have something to build with the offense.

lewik
12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
every talent scout in the organization

:confused:

have our last 3 drafts not gotten you excited about our future?

broken12
12-28-2008, 10:34 PM
toss, bly, manual, slowik, englfartburger, webster, that safety we got from sandeggo,
and i mean over the grand canyon on way back for offseason

broncobryce
12-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Get rid of the DC for sure. And the trainer.

weazel
12-28-2008, 10:35 PM
:confused:

have our last 3 drafts not gotten you excited about our future?

has the last 4 years of defense not forced you to slash your wrists yet. Sorry, I didnt look for a clever smiley to put in my post

UnderArmour
12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Prater is gone. Big free agent class for kickers though, so we're in luck.

So...
Prater
Selvin Young
Andre Hall
P.J. Pope
Marquand Manuel
Darrell Jackson
Chad Jackson
Josh Bell
Chad Mustard
Cory Boyd
Alex Haynes
Jeb Putzier
Darrell Hackney
Vernon Fox
Herana-Daze Jones
Andrew Pinnock
Josh Shaw
Nic Clemmons
Bob Slowik
The Defensive Coaching staff
Uh....

broken12
12-28-2008, 10:37 PM
and slowik has been here for three of the four so he has had a say on who to bring in!!!!

NameUsedBefore
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Pretty much 75% of the team.

Of course we'll probably still hang on to Webster and Winborn just for shits and giggles.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Everyone on defense that wasn't a rookie or player under 25 who has a chance to develop.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Shorter list is who do we keep?

I keep:

Robertson, Peterson, Powell and Thomas at DT

Eb, Moss and Crowder at DE

I try and trade Elvis

I keep Wes and Larsen at LB...maybe DJ

Unfortunately Boss may be back.

I keep Barrett and JMFW.

Bly can go and I'd listen to trades for Champ.

broken12
12-28-2008, 11:04 PM
i think our offense is ok as is, keep hillis as our hb, and we got guys to change pace tatum, and the rookie on ir aldridge, get some wheight gainer for woodyard and move him to mlb, leave dj and find sslb, get another safety by by bly, englefarter, webster, boss, and all safetys but rook out of arizona

MasterShake
12-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Agreed. He is damaged goods at this point. Seems like he hurts his groin every year. If we can get good value for him, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

I hate to say it, but I'd go with Champ too. Without D-line pressure, having a great corner is a moot point.

Medford Bronco
12-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Get rid of that whole defense, especially the LBs they are putrid

Nate Webster misses a million tackles. Winborn is a stiff as well

the D Line gets no pass rush and the dbs are bad as well.

a healthy Bailey and some of the kids.

JONtheBRONCO
12-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Keep Champ and DJ...

Get rid of everyone else.

Fire Slodick.

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Keep Champ and DJ...

Get rid of everyone else.

Fire Slodick.

I wouldn't keep those two. Champ's best years are behind him and he's damaged goods and DJ showed no heart tonight. Trade em both.

CrazyHorse
12-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Defensive Coordinator
Special Teams Coach
Kicker
All Safeties
Most Defensive Line
Some Line Backers

That's it
No one else

UnderArmour
12-28-2008, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't keep those two. Champ's best years are behind him and he's damaged goods and DJ showed no heart tonight. Trade em both.

This isn't Madden.

JONtheBRONCO
12-28-2008, 11:25 PM

No way. Champ is playing hurt, and so is DJ. DJ was lights out before the knee, and Champ has been banged up all season long. They may not be vocal leaders, but they both serve leadership through play and in the locker room. Regardless, DJ just signed an extension, count on him being the starting WLB next year.

Besides that, we need about everything, most important IMO would be a DT who doesn't get blown off the ball every play or washed 10 yards down the LOS. Jesus. And can we please get a damn safety who can support the run and maybe cover a TE? Bly needs to go. Badly. Defensive non-mastermind Slowdick needs to move on - get fired.

Superchop 7
12-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Nate Webster...........go away.

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 11:40 PM
No way. Champ is playing hurt, and so is DJ. DJ was lights out before the knee, and Champ has been banged up all season long. They may not be vocal leaders, but they both serve leadership through play and in the locker room. Regardless, DJ just signed an extension, count on him being the starting WLB next year.

Besides that, we need about everything, most important IMO would be a DT who doesn't get blown off the ball every play or washed 10 yards down the LOS. Jesus. And can we please get a damn safety who can support the run and maybe cover a TE? Bly needs to go. Badly. Defensive non-mastermind Slowdick needs to move on - get fired.

Seems like Champ gets hurt just about every year. Like I said, damaged goods. He's nearing the mid 30's, his best years are behind him. Get all the value you can this offseason.

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 11:40 PM
This isn't Madden.

I guarantee you there would be teams chomping at the bit for Champ.

CrazyHorse
12-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Seems like Champ gets hurt just about every year. Like I said, damaged goods. He's nearing the mid 30's, his best years are behind him. Get all the value you can this offseason.

Champ just turned 30. He still has a couple productive years at CB.

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Champ just turned 30. He still has a couple productive years at CB.

He's doing us no good with the pass rush we have. Trade him for a #1 and get a solid pass rushing DE, I'll take it.

atwater27
12-29-2008, 12:01 AM
What about Marshall? He dropped like 10 balls tonight, and leads the league in dropped balls. WEAK!

Tned
12-29-2008, 12:03 AM

Didn't he only miss something like three games in his career prior to this game?

Watchthemiddle
12-29-2008, 12:05 AM
What about Marshall? He dropped like 10 balls tonight, and leads the league in dropped balls. WEAK!

I bet we could get a 1, 3, 5 rounder from Dallas for him....

j/k....don't get rid of B-marsh

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Webster, Manual, Boss, McCree, just for starters. Slowik most of all - he is an embarrasment. A total chump. A fool. Incompetent. I wanna make a VooDoo doll of that useless SOB. His scgheme is so worthless I don't think we can even get a handle on who here can actually play anymore. Maybe Prater, who has had his head in his Ass the second half of the season.

I will say I hope we keep Tatum. At least he still has a burst.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 12:07 AM

He had 104 catches and over 1200 yards. Yeah, let's just dump the most productive WR we have had in years. :rolleyes:

atwater27
12-29-2008, 12:12 AM
He had 104 catches and over 1200 yards. Yeah, let's just dump the most productive WR we have had in years. :rolleyes:

We could trade him. Come on dude, do you think it is acceptable to lead the league in dropped balls and lose 4 fumbles as well? If you throw any numbnutz the ball 150 times, he'll catch 100. And he isn't that productive. He averages a lame ass 10 yards a catch and only has like 6 or 7 TD's from 104 catches. That is pedestrian.

OVERHYPED. SELL HIGH.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Brandon Marshall is entering his prime. Champ Bailey is exiting his. He isn't getting us to a championship in the next few years. Trade him so we have the opportunity to get players who will be here for more than a few years. Don't be ignorant to the argument on trading Champ. Use your brain Atwater and think of the big picture.

atwater27
12-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Brandon Marshall is entering his prime. Champ Bailey is exiting his. He isn't getting us to a championship in the next few years. Trade him so we have the opportunity to get players who will be here for more than a few years. Don't be ignorant to the argument on trading Champ. Use your brain Atwater and think of the big picture.

I was not arguing trading champ, (speaking of using your brain, learn to read.)
Dropping 30 passes in a season is not acceptable. Sorry, some have higher standards than you.

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 12:20 AM

I like that Idea. Let's keep him!

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 12:36 AM
j/k....don't get rid of B-marsh

He seems almost a sure-fire contract holdout. I'll be very interested to see what happens with him this offseason. I'm a little worried about it.

Watchthemiddle
12-29-2008, 12:38 AM

And heart!!

I said in the gameday thread that we need to send the entire team to local malls in the metro area and make them sale cell phone at the kiosk's and maybe they will have as much heart as Tatum had tonight.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 12:39 AM
And heart!!

I said in the gameday thread that we need to send the entire team to local malls in the metro area and make them sale cell phone at the kiosk's and maybe they will have as much heart as Tatum had tonight.

It's amazing Tatum showed something tonight in this mess. I really thought this was his last game in the NFL but he may have saved his career. Even if we don't bring him back, some other team might have renewed interest.

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 12:41 AM
It's amazing Tatum showed something tonight in this mess. I really thought this was his last game in the NFL but he may have saved his career. Even if we don't bring him back, some other team might have renewed interest.

We'd be nuts not to brng the guy back IMO. Maybe he learned something in his time off, and he always had a ton of raw talent. Its not like we don't have some other pressing needs on hand :tsk:

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I hate to say it, but I'd go with Champ too. Without D-line pressure, having a great corner is a moot point.

I don't get how we can both get rid of Bly and Champ. If we had a promising up-and-comer and CB I'd tend to agree--since Champ himself might be getting antsy about really being with a Super Bowl contender--but Bly needs replacing more than Champ I'm sure we all agree. So we're going to dump both?

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Bring back Lenny Walls.

Dreadnought
12-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Bring back Lenny Walls.

Roc Alexander too. make it a clean sweep

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 12:46 AM
We'd be nuts not to brng the guy back IMO. Maybe he learned something in his time off, and he always had a ton of raw talent. Its not like we don't have some other pressing needs on hand :tsk:

I tend to agree if the coaches feel his increased effectiveness was due to improved conditioning as he played in more games. He didn't fumble or get hurt, and was certainly among the few bright points tonight. At the same time he was highly ineffective in most games he played, and we really need a new young stud at RB to compliment Hillis. At this point I'd prefer Tatum to Hall and even Torain though.

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't get how we can both get rid of Bly and Champ. If we had a promising up-and-comer and CB I'd tend to agree--since Champ himself might be getting antsy about really being with a Super Bowl contender--but Bly needs replacing more than Champ I'm sure we all agree. So we're going to dump both?

Some people want to get rid of the whole defense.
Even if it's wanted it's just not happening.
It's not plausible. We'll keep the best players we have.

BroncoWave
12-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Roc Alexander too. make it a clean sweep

Don't forget Deltha O'Neal and Kelly Herndon!

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Don't forget Deltha O'Neal and Kelly Herndon!

Sure! Why not?
Deltha O'Neal > Dre' Bly
Bring back Nick Ferguson too!

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Kenoy Kennedy was pretty ballin' too.

G_Money
12-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Who goes?

Selvin Young - can't stay healthy

Pittman - may never play again

Webster - thinks he should be a starter now, so I wouldn't demote him to ST and backup just to let him be a disruption

Niko - because he can't even play ST well now that his head's all screwed up from failing as a starter.

Boss Bailey - too many knee issues, too untrustworthy, not that good when he's healthy, which is never

Ben Hamilton - I need the money and more holes either made or plugged in the middle, and Lichtensteiger needs a place to play.

One of Scheffler/Nate Jackson - I can't have BOTH my pass-catching TEs always inactive due to injury. It hurts the O.

Manuel - because he's a worthless SOB.

McCree - see Manuel, except with more injuries.

Bly - I need the money, and Bly cannot do what this D - or any new D - is likely to ask him to do: cover and tackle.

One of Moss/Dumervil - whoever fetches more goes, because I can't have two DEs who can't get to the QB and can't stop the run.

There are others, I'm sure, but I'd start my housecleaning there.

~G

NameUsedBefore
12-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Glad to see Karl Paymah didn't make the list G. I knew you'd come around with him. Everyone does, eventually.

D1g1tal j1m
12-29-2008, 01:57 AM
Andre Hall, Young, Webster, Bly, N. Jackson, McCree, Tatum and Josh Bell, Engelburger, Peterson & Clemens.

There should be many changes to the D including the Coordinator and the entire Staff on D. So many good D Coordinators should be available in the off-season. We need a new Dline coach who can actually get the pass-rush going.

So disappointed in our team this year.

tomjonesrocks
12-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Glad to see Karl Paymah didn't make the list G. I knew you'd come around with him. Everyone does, eventually.

I'd have Paymah above Moss, Dumervil and Niko on G's list. Maybe he was just an oversight :listen:

G_Money
12-29-2008, 02:05 AM

LOL. :D Karl Paymah is just where he should be - 7th DB and special teamer.

Since he's a FA, I don't expect him back, so we don't have to get rid of him. ;)

Now if we re-sign him and make him the starter instead of Bly, my soul will cry out for justice. But I don't think that'll happen.

~G

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
From Rocky Mountain News:

Ekuban and Peterson are slated to become unrestricted free agents and want to return. Also about to have their contracts expire are Webster and cornerback Karl Paymah.
The club also could look to re- work the contract of defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who's owed a $17 million roster bonus, $10 million of which is guaranteed and can be converted to a signing bonus that is apportioned over several years.

I'd let them all walk..............

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 10:09 AM
From Rocky Mountain News:

Ekuban and Peterson are slated to become unrestricted free agents and want to return. Also about to have their contracts expire are Webster and cornerback Karl Paymah.
The club also could look to re- work the contract of defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who's owed a $17 million roster bonus, $10 million of which is guaranteed and can be converted to a signing bonus that is apportioned over several years.

I'd let them all walk..............

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Nate Webster (no way this guy even makes another team much less starts)
Niko Koutivides
Boss Bailey
Louie Greene
Mario Haggan
Marquand Manuel
Marlon Mcree
Fox
Karl Paymah
Herana-Daze Jones
John Engleberger
Tim Crowder
Nic Clemons
Kenny Peterson
Duane Robertson
Ebenezer Ekuban
Andre Hall
Selvin Young
Tatum Bell
Darrell Jackson
Clifford Russell
Chad Mustard
Nate Jackson
Patrick Ramsey

Trade bait: DJ and Bly

CrazyHorse
12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Nate Webster (no way this guy even makes another team much less starts)
Niko Koutivides
Boss Bailey
Louie Greene
Mario Haggan
Marquand Manuel
Marlon Mcree
Fox
Karl Paymah
Herana-Daze Jones
John Engleberger
Tim Crowder
Nic Clemons
Kenny Peterson
Duane Robertson
Ebenezer Ekuban
Andre Hall
Selvin Young
Tatum Bell
Darrell Jackson
Clifford Russell
Chad Mustard
Nate Jackson
Patrick Ramsey

Trade bait: DJ and Bly

As much as I would love to get rid of most of those guys it's just not feasible.
We'll have to keep some of them for back-up at the very least.

LRtagger
12-29-2008, 01:34 PM
As much as I would love to get rid of most of those guys it's just not feasible.
We'll have to keep some of them for back-up at the very least.

No kidding....thats nearly half the roster :confused:

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
No kidding....thats nearly half the roster :confused:

Honestly, given the way some of the rookies out performed the vets, I feel we could upgrade on every person listed and would be a better team for doing so. The skill level on defense was so bad that injuries turned out to be a blessing for us as it gave people who probably wouldn't have had the opportunity a chance to show what they bring to the table. Our defense is full of scrubs, get rid of them and bring in some young and hungry players. Rookies and rookie free agents can easily out play the scrubs we currently have. I'm honetsly curious to see if ANY of the players se cut this off season even make another NFL roster much less start.

Nick
12-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Current Active Roster - Keepers

Bailey, Champ CB
Barrett, Josh
Bell, Josh
Bell, Tatum
Bly, Dre' CB
Boyd, Cory
Clady, Ryan
Cutler, Jay
Dumervil, Elvis
Ekuban, Ebenezer
Graham, Daniel
Hamilton, Ben
Harris, Ryan
Jackson, Chad
Koutouvides, Niko
Kuper, Chris
Larsen, Spencer
Leach, Mike
Lichtensteiger, Kory
Marshall, Brandon
Moss, Jarvis
Paymah, Karl
Peterson, Kenny
Robertson, Dewayne
Royal, Eddie
Stokley, Brandon
Scheffler, Tony
Thomas, Marcus
Webster, Nate
Wiegmann, Casey
Williams, D.J.
Williams, Jack
Woodyard, Wesley

Current Active Roster - People to drop

Clemons, Nic
Crowder, Tim
Engelberger, John
Fox, Vernon
Green, Louis
Hackney, Darrell
Haggan, Mario
Haynes, Alex
Jackson, Darrell
Jones, Herana-Daze
Kern, Brett
Manuel, Marquand
McCree, Marlon
Murray, Pat
Mustard, Chad
Pinnock, Andrew
Polumbus, Tyler
Prater, Matt
Putzier, Jeb
Winborn, Jamie

Current Reserve/Injured - Keepers

Alridge, Anthony
Hillis, Peyton
Torain, Ryan

Current Reserve/Injured - People to Drop

Bailey, Boss
Hall, Andre
Jackson, Nate
Nalen, Tom
Pittman, Michael
Pope, P.J.
Ramsey, Patrick
Russell, Clifford
Shaw, Josh
Shepherd, Edell
Young, Selvin

Reserve/Non-Football Injury - Keepers

Pears, Erik

PUP - Keepers

Powell, Carlton

Practice Squad - Keepers

Eslinger, Greg
Erickson, Mitch
Pope, P.J

LRtagger
12-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Honestly, given the way some of the rookies out performed the vets, I feel we could upgrade on every person listed and would be a better team for doing so. The skill level on defense was so bad that injuries turned out to be a blessing for us as it gave people who probably wouldn't have had the opportunity a chance to show what they bring to the table. Our defense is full of scrubs, get rid of them and bring in some young and hungry players. Rookies and rookie free agents can easily out play the scrubs we currently have. I'm honetsly curious to see if ANY of the players se cut this off season even make another NFL roster much less start.

Not that it isnt true...but how do we aquire that many people in the offseason? We only have so many draft choices and so much cap space.

broncofaninfla
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Not that it isnt true...but how do we aquire that many people in the offseason? We only have so many draft choices and so much cap space.

Cut, trade or restructure the Bly's, Niko's, DJ's, Robertsons on the team, target some FA's, draft some studs and sign a crop of undrafted rookie free agents right after the draft. I'm by no means an expert on this subject BUT from where I'm sitting it's do-able. Would that make us a dominate defense, odds are no BUT I'm certain we would be a better defense.

deacon
12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I think the offense is pretty well set except for the fact that there will be several RB's without jobs.

Defensively, let's look at it by position.
DE's - I think we've seen the last of Crowder and Moss. Moss was inactive for the SD game and that speaks for itself.
Tackles - I think we're probably fairly solid there. I don't see anyone getting cut unless it's one of the 2nd or 3rd teamers.
LB's - I would say Webster is history. Koutavides was also inactive for the SD game and will be gone. Too much money and too little production.
CB's - I don't like Bly but can't see anyone better out there so he sticks. I suspect Jack Williams and Paymah will also be gone. Williams was inactive against SD.
Safetys - Keep Josh Barrett and jettison the rest.
Special Teams - I think you'll see another kicker signed for training camp but expect Prater to stick. Kern has been pretty solid.

LRtagger
12-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Cut, trade or restructure the Bly's, Niko's, DJ's, Robertsons on the team, target some FA's, draft some studs and sign a crop of undrafted rookie free agents right after the draft. I'm by no means an expert on this subject BUT from where I'm sitting it's do-able. Would that make us a dominate defense, odds are no BUT I'm certain we would be a better defense.

But those are the guys on your list to cut.

We wont restructure DJ, he just signed his contract...why would he restructure?

I dont know if Bly would agree to restructure...and if we cut him, its a cap hit. Same with Robertson.

It is easier said than done overhauling the entire defensive roster. And who's to even say we have a stellar draft like we did last year? We might have another 07 draft.

The best thing we can do is try to pick up 3-4 key guys and keep the majority of the roster in tact. Here is who I would drop or not resign:

Fox
McCree
Manuel
Webster
Niko
Daze
Ekuban

I think most of the other guys on D will be back next year.

We need a MLB, a couple safeties, and a DE or two. I doubt we see any changes at DT especially with Powell on the roster next year.

I think Larsen moves to full time D duties (I hope anyways), then we have Larsen battling a draftee or FA pickup for the starting job. We will still see Bly and Bailey starting IMO...I just hope they have a coach that can put them in the right place to make plays. Barrett will be a starter as will whoever we draft or WW if he can make the transition.

Honestly, I believe we are a couple guys and a good coach away from being a decent defense. At least decent enough to help the offense out. In a couple years we could have a real solid unit...but we need a coach who is competant enough to build a long-term defense.