PDA

View Full Version : What was your thought when the Broncos came back on the board for Tebow

GEM
10-18-2011, 09:27 AM
We were having a discussion in the mod area about traffic to the site over the last couple of years. One of the peak times, of course, was the draft when we grabbed Tebow. It got to be a pretty interesting conversation.

So the topic is.....after the Broncos picked, Thomas, skipping Bryant, and then came back on the board what was your first thoughts.

I had just watched them pick Thomas and got up to go freshen my drink. My mom yells that the Broncos are back on the clock. I came running in from the kitchen, looked at my dad and said tell me Tebow is not on the freaking phone. My dad looks back laughing....Tebow is on the freaking phone. I remember just thinking now what in the hell did we give up to do this mess. I wasn't all too happy with it at the time as I felt there were so many other needs, but I've grown ok with the pick and hope he works out.

We just thought the conversation was pretty good so I wanted to see what everyone else thought on that day.

:)

Bosco
10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Very pleased. Thought it was an excellent pick and some masterful maneuvering to acquire the needed resources.

vandammage13
10-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Good question...

I thought it was a great pick. I especially thought it was good wheeling and dealing by McD (yes a McD compliment) by moving down in the draft, basically netting 2 first rounders out of 1.

I was excited to get someone who I thought could be a winner for us and lead us for the next 10 years.

I thought then, and still think now, that Tebow was the steal of the first round.

Jsteve01
10-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I was cool with the pick, but not once again paying over value to get it. Listen, if post draft you hear that Ozzie Newsome's eyes lighted up when he heard your offer it's an epic fail. We should have at least gotten a 4th rounder back in that deal but I guess when you're McD and you're playing with monopoly money it doesnt matter right?

TXBRONC
10-18-2011, 10:03 AM
We were having a discussion in the mod area about traffic to the site over the last couple of years. One of the peak times, of course, was the draft when we grabbed Tebow. It got to be a pretty interesting conversation.

So the topic is.....after the Broncos picked, Thomas, skipping Bryant, and then came back on the board what was your first thoughts.

I had just watched them pick Thomas and got up to go freshen my drink. My mom yells that the Broncos are back on the clock. I came running in from the kitchen, looked at my dad and said tell me Tebow is not on the freaking phone. My dad looks back laughing....Tebow is on the freaking phone. I remember just thinking now what in the hell did we give up to do this mess. I wasn't all too happy with it at the time as I felt there were so many other needs, but I've grown ok with the pick and hope he works out.

We just thought the conversation was pretty good so I wanted to see what everyone else thought on that day.

:)

Before the draft I did not want Denver to draft Tebow especially in the first round. After the pick was made I thought ok he's a Bronco lets hope this works out. I was apprehensive then and still am because he's still a high risk/high reward player.

Tned
10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Ok, I'm going to qualify this with the fact I don't follow NCAA much, and am just a casual Razorback fan.

The week of the draft, I was traveling in Germany on work, and talking about the upcoming draft with friends/co-workers. I said that some of the recent talk was that McDaniels had fallen in love with Tebow, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos drafted him.

My buddies started telling me about how he might be the greatest college player of all time, etc. That he was a bit of a running QB, but also passed a lot too.

Anyway, I had started warming up to the idea and even getting excited, because I was firmly convinced that the team could not win with Orton and needed a young QB to build around.

So, when they moved back up and it looked like they were going to draft Tebow, I got excited. Granted, I did so knowing very little about Tebow, so let's call it blind enthusiasm.

MileHighCrew
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh crap they didn't just trade back in. I hope it isn't for... damn it. :(

G_Money
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I expected to draft Colt McCoy for the offense we use so Tebow was a surprise, but I was happy to know that McDaniels was now on the clock, and it would either work out or bomb with Tebow but now there would be no more excuses of “he’s not my guy” or “I can’t run my team to the fullest with X behind center.” It meant McDaniels had started his 3 year countdown to judgment day.

Amazing how got much less than that through his ineptitude.

Fox and Elway are not yet on the clock, since Tebow is not “their guy” and if they spend a year or two with him and he doesn’t work out they still get a do-over in the draft before their clock starts.

Which makes me very curious to watch these next 11 games and see how Tim – how the whole team – is handled.

~G

Zweems56
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I would say that I was excited. He's the type of person that you WANT to be the quarterback of your team. You know he's not going to get caught raping anyone, you know that he's a great person and he's going to be the face of a franchise. I thought it would be a perfect situation where he could sit for 2-3 years and learn behind Orton. When my girlfriend asked how I felt about the pick, I said something along the lines of "Good. He can't come in and start today, but he'll have time to learn and he could be the franchise quarterback that we haven't had since Elway."

slim
10-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Initially I was pissed...they had just loaded up on a ton of picks and then traded them all. At the time I absolutely hated that.

Slick
10-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I was excited at the moment because I thought it could be the end of having to watch Kyle Orton quarterback this team.

Tned
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Initially I was pissed...they had just loaded up on a ton of picks and then traded them all. At the time I absolutely hated that.

Since based on comments leading up to the draft, including Ed Warders comments from Denver, when they started moving back and accumulating picks, I assumed it was to get Tebow at the end of the first, so unlike many, I never saw it as using a bunch of picks to get Tebow, because those picks were from trade backs aimed at getting Tebow.

Bronco4ever
10-18-2011, 10:23 AM
I wasn't able to watch that night of the draft, but I received like 3 texts from friends saying "Tebow? LOL!". Initially I was quite irritated with drafting Tebow, but I have since changed my tune (see avatar).

slim
10-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Since based on comments leading up to the draft, including Ed Warders comments from Denver, when they started moving back and accumulating picks, I assumed it was to get Tebow at the end of the first, so unlike many, I never saw it as using a bunch of picks to get Tebow, because those picks were from trade backs aimed at getting Tebow.

I eventually came around to this conclusion as well.

But at the time I wish they would have taken Tebow instead of DT and saved the rest of the picks. That made more sense to me, especially since I despise the idea of using a 1st round pick on an injured player.

In hindsight, I think my initial reaction may have been right (take Tebow instead of DT and save the picks).:listen:

MOtorboat
10-18-2011, 10:24 AM
I had a feeling all day. And the minute he traded back, I knew he was drafting Tebow. I thought he was doing it when he drafted Thomas, and I knew he was doing it when he traded back in. And the words that came out of my mouth were "Jimminy (not the actual word), he did it."

BigDaddyBronco
10-18-2011, 10:27 AM
When they dropped back the first time, I thought we were getting Pouncey and was pretty happy. Then they dropped back again and picked Thomas. At that point I had no idea what was going on.

Tned
10-18-2011, 10:27 AM
I eventually came around to this conclusion as well.

But at the time I wish they would have taken Tebow instead of DT and saved the rest of the picks. That made more sense to me, especially since I despise the idea of using a 1st round pick on an injured player.

In hindsight, I think my initial reaction may have been right (take Tebow instead of DT and save the picks).:listen:

Or, take Dez Bryand and Tebow.

dunk7
10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I was thinking "finally, we are going after a DT!!!" (Dan Williams or Brian Price)...then DOH!

Tned
10-18-2011, 10:33 AM
When they dropped back the first time, I thought we were getting Pouncey and was pretty happy. Then they dropped back again and picked Thomas. At that point I had no idea what was going on.

I was actually talking with a buddy at the time, and when they moved back, I thought there was a chance they would take Pouncy and Dez (or another WR) or some combo (two out of three) of Tebow, Pouncey & WR.

At the time, with Marshall being dumped, I thought C & WR were the two big needs, but was intrigued by Tebow and thought he would likely get picked.

dogfish
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
"**** me, here we go. . . .damn you McDaniels!"

DenBronx
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I was hoping for Dez Bryant but didnt mind DT but still was a little shocked we picked him first. Looking back we should have went Dez.

Then when we drafted Tebow I was pretty happy with the pick, considering Josh had traded back and picked up the ammo to trade back up if needed anyway. Looking back it was a smart move and I'm still happy with it. Someone else could have picked him in round 2 and we just beat them all to the punch.

BigDaddyBronco
10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Looking at our luck with Oklahoma St. players, Dez probably would have murdered someone if he went to Denver.

LRtagger
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lft4xyN7zX1qbvc38o1_500.jpg

Ravage!!!
10-18-2011, 10:56 AM
I remember saying " Goddamnit!! Sonofabitch! What the **** are you doing McDaniels? Un****ing-believable! One of the deepest drafts in NFL history, and you use four picks on Tebow? Seriously????"

rationalfan
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
i was on the phone talking to a friend about the draft and turned away from the tv. he said something about tebow being selected and i replied, "what team was dumb enough to take him in the first?" when i found out it was the broncos, a series of questions followed:
- can he play?
- why would they draft a left-hander when the best player on offensive is a left tackle?
- they gave up what to get him?
- mcd better know what he's doing.

fun night.

BroncoWave
10-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I could not have been more ecstatic. I cheered like the Broncos had just won the Super Bowl.

Dzone
10-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I was thrilled! It was fantastic!

dogfish
10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
I was hoping for Dez Bryant but didnt mind DT but still was a little shocked we picked him first. Looking back we should have went Dez.

absolutely not! that kid is a complete and total assclown. . . who cares what his athletic gifts are when he's not in good enough shape to play more than thirty solid snaps a game? he's already in legal trouble, he's already been called out by multiple members of their coaching staff for his lack of work ethic and professionalism, and he's injury prone. . . dude will cause them more headaches than he makes plays. . .

we should have taken OT brian bulaga or DL lamarr houston. . .

Northman
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Hated it.

We had traded back very well (ala New England) and i thought for sure we would stock up on some young talent at all positions. When we took Tebow i wasnt happy at all. Happy for him of course but i did not want him (or any QB at that time) because of all the holes the team had.

Since then ive grown to like Tebow's moxy and drive to lead the team the best he can. And im excited to see what the rest of the season has in store for us but at the time i was very displeased.

chazoe60
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I was excited at the moment because I thought it could be the end of having to watch Kyle Orton quarterback this team.

This

I figured I didn't have to watch the pathetic Kyle Orton any more.

GEM
10-18-2011, 11:37 AM
absolutely not! that kid is a complete and total assclown. . . who cares what his athletic gifts are when he's not in good enough shape to play more than thirty solid snaps a game? he's already in legal trouble, he's already been called out by multiple members of their coaching staff for his lack of work ethic and professionalism, and he's injury prone. . . dude will cause them more headaches than he makes plays. . .

we should have taken OT brian bulaga or DL lamarr houston. . .

Bulaga is who my dad and I were hoping they would take.

dogfish
10-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Bulaga is who my dad and I were hoping they would take.

bulaga, mike iupati, lamarr houston, terrence cody. . . we coulda had any of them, two of them if we'd wanted. . . we could have set a foundation in the trenches to dominate for a decade-- instead we take a third round project QB and a hurt triple-option receiver. . .

god, mcdaniels should be in jail!

GEM
10-18-2011, 11:46 AM
bulaga, mike iupati, lamarr houston, terrence cody. . . we coulda had any of them, two of them if we'd wanted. . . we could have set a foundation in the trenches to dominate for a decade-- instead we take a third round project QB and a hurt triple-option receiver. . .

god, mcdaniels should be in jail!

My dad's first wish was Pouncey, mine was Bulaga. When Pouncey went off the board he moved to Bulaga. Since we had moved away from the ZBS and were going with size on the line, we just thought we should build that, especially since we had Orton back there. The way to make Orton successful is keep guys away from him and keep him on his feet. So that was our thought process.

As soon as my mom said we were back on the board I knew it was Tebow. I was disappointed, but I did like that he was a quality character guy.

G_Money
10-18-2011, 01:22 PM
I wanted Pouncey, Bulaga or Iupati. It's astounding to me what we could have had in that draft. Guh.

Hence the reason I'd prefer to go OT in the first round next year rather than pay another first for another QB. Work out, Tebow, so I can address other needs, dammit...

~G

Traveler
10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I stopped watching the draft years ago. Got tired of saying what the **** are they thinking?

dogfish
10-18-2011, 02:11 PM
I stopped watching the draft years ago. Got tired of saying what the **** are they thinking?

pretty much where i'm at as well. . . i turned it off after we picked moore and franlkin-- first time in years i haven't watched every minute of it. . .

broncobryce
10-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I was very happy, like Tned, I had a feeling we would pick Tebow. It was one of the most exciting drafts ever, I think both he and DT are going to be excellent players.

NightTerror218
10-18-2011, 04:39 PM
really.....really....I like the kid but could MCD have waited till next round.....really

HORSEPOWER 56
10-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Honestly, I expected us to take Tebow with the Thomas pick (which I admit, I actually really liked). When we didn't, I was a little relieved and thought that I'd be okay taking Tebow in the second round - just not the first.

The minute we traded back into the first I knew he'd be the pick and at the time I was okay with it. Tebow's a winner. He's a football player who plays football like it's the only thing that matters. He is better suited to the 70's but his toughness can transcend and with the right coaching, I think he'll be very successful. I thought it then and still do now.

No matter what anyone says about Tebow's talent level, had we not traded up, the Bills would have and had they not been able to, the Vikings would've taken him instead of trading out of the 1st round. The fact that the Vikings IMMEDIATELY traded out of the 1st round as soon as Tebow came off the board even though their pick wasn't for another 5 picks. You almost NEVER see a team trade away their pick before their pick is actually called because they take offers up to the last minute. Before the pick after Tebow was even announced, The Vikings had traded out of the 1st round because their guy was off the board.

I was happy when we took him and I'm still happy and will remain so until he shows me ha can't be our QB. I think he's perfect for a Roethlisberger type role.

Lancane
10-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I said months before the draft that we'd take him and likely in the first round, most people said I was nuts.

After we drafted him, I felt redeemed...but then was like "shit...I hope he can really become a pro quarterback"!

One thing is for sure, he is a unique character and I'm not talking about his beliefs or views, but just that the fact he's so uplifting to be around and thanks people for getting in his face, he's so thankful about everything...I could see him facing off against Michael Myers (Halloween) and actually saying "thanks for the chase!"

:lol:

SM19
10-18-2011, 05:11 PM
"Fire this clown."

Fortunately, we did, eventually.

elsid13
10-18-2011, 05:14 PM
I kept on thinking WTF? They did a brilliant job of moving down to gain extra picks that could of remade the team into a power house and they picked a project at QB?

I was hoping for in the first - Thomas (who we got),
2nd Gronkowski (sitting there were our 2nd would have been)
Linval Joseph (the new NT)
3rd Alex Carrington (DE)
Walton (liked that picked)

I Eat Staples
10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I yelled some pretty vulgar words. I wasn't happy with picking DT over Dez, and then we trade up to acquire a QB that was never even projected to go that high. It was not a happy day for me.

Let me add that I didn't even want DT OR Dez, I wanted defense. But if we were going with a WR I wanted Dez.

weazel
10-18-2011, 05:51 PM
my exact thought at that moment.... wow, another Clarett pick. Why is this team always so horrible at the draft?

I Eat Staples
10-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I said months before the draft that we'd take him and likely in the first round, most people said I was nuts.

After we drafted him, I felt redeemed...but then was like "shit...I hope he can really become a pro quarterback"!

One thing is for sure, he is a unique character and I'm not talking about his beliefs or views, but just that the fact he's so uplifting to be around and thanks people for getting in his face, he's so thankful about everything...I could see him facing off against Michael Myers (Halloween) and actually saying "thanks for the chase!"

:lol:

So this was your fault. Apologize right now.

Lancane
10-18-2011, 06:14 PM
So this was your fault. Apologize right now.

I'm sorry...

gregbroncs
10-18-2011, 06:25 PM
I was pissed off. I've never believed in Tebow's ability to lead an NFL team.

I have decided to play the wait and see game with him over the last year and a half. I really hope he proves my initial reaction to be silly.

atwater27
10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Very pleased. Thought it was an excellent pick and some masterful maneuvering to acquire the needed resources.

Barf. Tebow was a reach. McDaniels sucks. You do realize McDaniels sucks, don't you?

hamrob
10-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I absolutely loved it. I was not a McD fan...but, I thought that draft was a great!!!

I loved the Thomas pick (hasn't worked out yet)
I loved the Tebow pick (It's Tebow time)
I thought the Beadles pic was o.k. (He's been a 2yr starter)
I thought the Walton pick was o.k. (Mauler w/short arm, 2yr starter)
I loved the Decker pick (Looks to be a stud)

All in all, I thought it was a great draft by Xanders and McD...........and anyone who follows my post...knows that I don't support those two guys.