PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mizzou moves closer to SEC bid

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2011, 09:53 PM
The New York Times is reporting Missouri's decision to officially apply for membership in the Southeastern Conference is "inevitable and imminent."

The newspaper, citing an official familiar with school decisions involving conference affiliation, reported Monday night that Mizzou officials expect to get enough votes among SEC presidents to become a member, although the school would still need to be formally invited to join the conference.

Missouri curators, who must approve any change in conference alignment, are scheduled to next meet at the University of Missouri, Kansas City on Oct. 20-21.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7117069/report-missouri-tigers-application-join-sec-imminent

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the Big 12 Boise!!!

I'm just kidding, sort of.

I have a feeling they'll invite BYU instead, because SLC is a decent media market.

OrangeHoof
10-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Not unexpected.

The real question is how you split the SEC with two western teams since Alabama-Auburn is the "middle" of an East-West split and you can't separate them. My proposal:

East:

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

West:

Arkansas
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
Missouri
Texas A&M

Kinda sucks for Kentucky but it makes more sense than putting Bama in the west and Auburn in the east. While the East would suddenly be the better football power, the west would be a top basketball power.

As for the Big XII, I'm liking the idea of raiding the Big East of Cincy, Louisville and West Virginia to arrive at 12 or add USF and Tulane to get to 14 (and get a recruiting foothold in SEC country).

Nomad
10-20-2011, 08:45 PM
You are right OH! That'll probably be the alignment and it only makes sense, though I'll miss LSU playing Bama and Auburn every year.

Then again as long as Bama/Auburn can play the Iron Bowl every year, they could keep Bama in the West and send Auburn to the East. It would make for an interesting SECCG if they both made it.......at least for the state of Alabama!