PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd trade provides opportunities for young Broncos WRs

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2011, 09:01 PM
After trading Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Lloyd to the St. Louis Rams on Monday for a 2012 conditional draft pick, the Denver Broncos are preparing to embrace a new-look offense.

While the trade provides opportunities for young receivers Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker and Matt Willis, it also opens the organization to increased scrutiny in the midst of its 1-4 start.

"We think it's a position of strength," Broncos coach John Fox said of his receiving corps. "We've got some guys coming back -- Demaryius Thomas, Eddie Royal -- and (we like) the emergence of Eric Decker."

good article - rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8233533d/article/lloyd-trade-provides-opportunities-for-young-broncos-wrs?module=HP11_headline_stack

Northman
10-17-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree. I have some good faith in our receiving core.

Ziggy
10-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I just want to see Demaryius stay on the field for the rest of the year. The talent is there, but it's hard to help a team while you're on the trainer's table.

camdisco24
10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Can't wait to see our younger guys step up. We have a lot of potential on the sideline and now is their time to shine.

jhildebrand
10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
I hope this means Eron Riley and Matt Willis get a real good look for the rest of the season.

BroncoStud
10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I would like to see more of Riley. Royal is solid but probably better suited as a 3. Decker is the go-to-guy now and a stud. Willis has shown Preseason flashes... But D. Thomas can bug off. That dude can't get healthy and was a waste of a 1st round draft pick. Plus his involvement in the Parrish Cox rape case doesn't paint a good picture of him.

I still wish Lloyd was in Denver for the next few years.

BroncoWave
10-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Decker is the only guy I have much confidence in right now. Neither Willis or Riley have done anything in a regular season game at this point, Royal hasn't been good in 3 years, and DT has never proved he can stay healthy. Other than Royal I see a lot of potential in them, but I am not sold yet. Gonna have to see them prove it on the field.

BroncoStud
10-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Yeah, it seems strange how so many are so quickly jumping on this bandwagon. We get rid of our best offensive player for a 6th round draft pick and it's supposed to be a GOOD thing?

Man this franchise has fallen on hard times...

Lancane
10-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Yeah, it seems strange how so many are so quickly jumping on this bandwagon. We get rid of our best offensive player for a 6th round draft pick and it's supposed to be a GOOD thing?

Man this franchise has fallen on hard times...

So let me get this straight, you would rather Denver kept Lloyd who F'n hated the new offense, wanted a trade because it underutilized him (he asked to be traded because he felt he didn't fit), wasn't going to re-sign with the team at the end of the year anyways and likewise Denver probably wouldn't have gotten anything for him, so he could what? catch a couple balls a game and maybe get fifty or sixty yards a game?

He even said that it was his idea and that he is happy that Denver got something in return for him. What you're basically saying is Denver should have kept him against his will and let him waste away without any compensation for the team when he left after the season and refused to re-sign...am I correct?

BroncoStud
10-18-2011, 04:07 AM
So let me get this straight, you would rather Denver kept Lloyd who F'n hated the new offense, wanted a trade because it underutilized him (he asked to be traded because he felt he didn't fit), wasn't going to re-sign with the team at the end of the year anyways and likewise Denver probably wouldn't have gotten anything for him, so he could what? catch a couple balls a game and maybe get fifty or sixty yards a game?

He even said that it was his idea and that he is happy that Denver got something in return for him. What you're basically saying is Denver should have kept him against his will and let him waste away without any compensation for the team when he left after the season and refused to re-sign...am I correct?

Lloyd was willing to negotiate a contract, Denver just didn't meet his demands, when that happened they started talking trade. He was still our best WR and would have made a nice target for Tebow. I would have preferred we try and keep him longterm. That's just my opinion and many will disagree. We may have gotten a comp. pick for him next year that would be higher than a 6th rounder in the 2013 draft.

I wish him the best. But don't try to sell this basket of "now the young guys can take over, etc, etc..."... D. Thomas can't stay healthy enough to practice let alone play. Lloyd/Decker was very solid, Decker/Royal - notsomuch.

Anyone counting on D. Thomas to contribute is just kidding themselves. Guys this injured don't often come back and have enduring careers. Wasted pick.

Lancane
10-18-2011, 05:09 AM
Lloyd was willing to negotiate a contract, Denver just didn't meet his demands, when that happened they started talking trade. He was still our best WR and would have made a nice target for Tebow. I would have preferred we try and keep him longterm. That's just my opinion and many will disagree. We may have gotten a comp. pick for him next year that would be higher than a 6th rounder in the 2013 draft.

I wish him the best. But don't try to sell this basket of "now the young guys can take over, etc, etc..."... D. Thomas can't stay healthy enough to practice let alone play. Lloyd/Decker was very solid, Decker/Royal - notsomuch.

Anyone counting on D. Thomas to contribute is just kidding themselves. Guys this injured don't often come back and have enduring careers. Wasted pick.

You're assuming BS, nothing more or less. Denver offered him a contract extension that he didn't feel was good enough. Braylon Edwards has had a better career and is barely making more then Lloyd this season, yet Denver should dish out the type of money he felt he deserved with one great season in nine years and at the back end of his career? I would agree with you, if he had the productivity of Rod Smith, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson or Roddy White, but he hasn't. And it's not wise to bank on compensatory picks, look at McGahee, the fact he's become the starter would undermine the loss of any of our veterans this past off-season Ryan Harris would have probably netted us a compensatory pick otherwise.

And I'm not counting on Demaryius Thomas, he's but one cog off the offensive machine. Tebow is not a great quarterback, he'll struggle and what little Lloyd contributed should easily be covered by Willis, Decker, Royal and Thomas; Julius Thomas is likewise returning here soon and I have a feeling that Denver is going to run a more true spread offense with two wide receiver and two tight end sets then four or five wideout sets. Lloyd hasn't been that productive anyways. If Tebow can not succeed without the likes of Brandon Lloyd, then he'll never succeed period...and that's something we'll need to grasp as fans, a great quarterback will do great things with the receivers we have, a decent quarterback would do good things with the group Denver has, but a bad quarterback, he'll not succeed no matter who is around him.

nflfan
10-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Wow, Denver media and their flair for spin. How about this ....

"Calvin Johnson trade provides opportunities for young Lions WRs"

Would anyone buy that?

Lloyd is definitely no CJ, but he was one of the most productive WRs in the NFL last season, and the most value the FO can get for him is a 6th, conditional to 5th? That's terrible.

Carolina with Rivera at the helm is already showing marked improvement in their passing offense over their seasons with Fox. Sure, Cam is a big reason, but for all those years before, there was no one who would step up to complement Steve Smith. Now, they simply added 2 big athletic pass catching TEs, Olsen and Shockey, and suddenly, Carolina's offense is filled with weapons.

Lloyd has proven that he could be a great offensive asset. It's a failure on the coaching staff if they aren't able to maximize the obvious talent that they do have, and a failure on the FO if they let them go for cheap. That was the same problem McDaniels had with Hillis, Scheffler, and Royal. Now, Xanders is practically giving away the league leader in receiving yards for peanuts.

The Broncos must really want to win the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

BroncoNut
10-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Really? Gee, imagine that.

thanks for the post Carol