PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, Chargers, and Cardinals dont deserve playoffs.

Northman
12-28-2008, 11:35 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8996774/Broncos,-Chargers-and-Cardinals-don#39;t-belong-in-playoffs-?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162ATT=5

Pretty funny article.

Although the AFC West is a joke in terms of how good the teams are to come out and say that you dont belong in the playoffs even if you win your division is hilarious. If that were truly the case to be had than i guess Denver and SD should of stopped trying after losing 6 games. Nevermind the fact that Denver beat that very same team in ATL that he claims to be so far superior. Anything can happen in the NFL and the reward for winning your division is a playoff spot with a home game. If teams like Indy and ATL wanted to have a home playoff game they should of won their respective divisions. End of story.

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, by the rules the winner of this division deserves to go but in reality, no way a 9-7 Broncos or 8-8 Chargers team really deserves to make it over an 11-5 Pats team that could possibly miss the playoffs. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll gladly take a playoff spot if we get it but I'll feel sorry for whichever AFC East team(s) get left out because the AFC West winner got in.

BroncoTech
12-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Jerry Mcdonald is a beat writer for the Raiders therefore his opinion never counts.

topscribe
12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
If I remember, Denver was on the short end of that setup a few years back.
Every year, this happens to someone, and it is ironic, to be sure. But rules are
rules, and Division Champion means you play at home in the opening game of
the postseason. "Deserve" it or not, I'll take it . . .

-----

MasterShake
12-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah, by the rules the winner of this division deserves to go but in reality, no way a 9-7 Broncos or 8-8 Chargers team really deserves to make it over an 11-5 Pats team that could possibly miss the playoffs. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll gladly take a playoff spot if we get it but I'll feel sorry for whichever AFC East team(s) get left out because the AFC West winner got in.

But we are not going against the Pats. We are going against the other 3 teams in OUR division (for better or worse). Each team in each division has their own circumstances and obstacles to overcome and not everyone plays the same team under the same conditions. If every team played every other team in a dome at 2 in the afternoon, THEN you could say the team with the better record should go. As it stands, some teams have an easier schedule than others or maybe get to whoop up on a team that usually plays well in a dome in the snow. The first place winners of each division are good markers of the best teams with similar schedules who often are chasing each other all year. The wild card is supposed to take care of the worthy second place teams.

Northman
12-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Although i wont argue that the Pats have a better team at the end of the day the Pats should of won their division. Every team has the same chance to win their divisions and you either do it or you dont. Chargers really gave up the ghost early but now Denver faces the reality of actually choking away a great opportunity this year.

WARHORSE
12-28-2008, 02:17 PM
EVERY team understands what is needed in order to get into the playoffs.

The Patriots are not eliminated yet. A Ravens loss and a Jets win, the Pats need only to win against Buffalo.

Nevertheless, they had the same opportunity as the Jets, Buffalo and Miami.

They didnt get it done.

Cie le vie.

MasterShake
12-28-2008, 03:17 PM
You know what teams really don't deserve the playoffs? The ones who don't make it. Also, I only like good movies.

Tned
12-28-2008, 03:26 PM
But we are not going against the Pats. We are going against the other 3 teams in OUR division (for better or worse). Each team in each division has their own circumstances and obstacles to overcome and not everyone plays the same team under the same conditions. If every team played every other team in a dome at 2 in the afternoon, THEN you could say the team with the better record should go. As it stands, some teams have an easier schedule than others or maybe get to whoop up on a team that usually plays well in a dome in the snow. The first place winners of each division are good markers of the best teams with similar schedules who often are chasing each other all year. The wild card is supposed to take care of the worthy second place teams.

In this light, Until this year, New England has benefitted from a horribly weak division. Same with Indy.

NE and Indy were handed 6 easy wins a year for several years in a row. The fact that the NFL only plays 16 games, with six of them being division games, means you can't just take the top teams in each conference, like in the NBA.

Fair or not, the rules state that division winners get a playoff spot, and the fact is that is the only option that makes sense.

broncophan
12-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Every year, this happens to someone, and it is ironic, to be sure. But rules are

-----

Yea......I remember going 11-5 and not making the playoffs.......that did suck.

GO BRONCOS.......

BroncoWave
12-28-2008, 03:37 PM
In this light, Until this year, New England has benefitted from a horribly weak division. Same with Indy.

NE and Indy were handed 6 easy wins a year for several years in a row. The fact that the NFL only plays 16 games, with six of them being division games, means you can't just take the top teams in each conference, like in the NBA.

Fair or not, the rules state that division winners get a playoff spot, and the fact is that is the only option that makes sense.

I'm not saying you would do this but I have a feeling many of us would have a different opinion on the matter if we were the 11-5 team being left out.

Now I do think that the system we have now is the best way to do it but it sucks for a team like the Pats who could finish 11-5 and miss the playoffs because a team that was 8-8 or 9-7 went because they won their division. I won't lose any sleep over it if we are that team but it still sucks for whoever gets left out in the East.

Tned
12-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm not saying you would do this but I have a feeling many of us would have a different opinion on the matter if we were the 11-5 team being left out.

Yes, no doubt. In '85, the year I started watching the Broncos (and the NFL), the Broncos were 11-5 and didn't make the playoffs, while the Giants and Niners at 10 wins, and Cleveland at 8 wins made the playoffs.

It happens. It sucks when it happens, but it isn't just the NFL. It happens in Baeball too. One division might have a team that gets in with something close to a .500 record, while another division has several teams that are well over .500, but miss the wild card spot and play in a tougher division, thereby missing the playoffs.

It's the nature of the beast. The ONLY sure way to make the playoffs is to win your division.

nevcraw
12-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Yes, no doubt. In '85, the year I started watching the Broncos (and the NFL), the Broncos were 11-5 and didn't make the playoffs, while the Giants and Niners at 10 wins, and Cleveland at 8 wins made the playoffs.It happens. It sucks when it happens, but it isn't just the NFL. It happens in Baeball too. One division might have a team that gets in with something close to a .500 record, while another division has several teams that are well over .500, but miss the wild card spot and play in a tougher division, thereby missing the playoffs.

It's the nature of the beast. The ONLY sure way to make the playoffs is to win your division.

Maybe that's why the Browns became the Broncos whipping boy from that point on...

elsid13
12-28-2008, 04:07 PM

-----

You are correct. 11-5 and they missed the playoff. It happens but that part of the game, the only way you ensure a playoff berth is win you division. So sportswriters need to stop whining.