PDA

View Full Version : How do compensatory picks work and could we get as much as a 3rd for Lloyd if we keep him and...

Agent of Orange
10-16-2011, 02:20 PM
let him walk at the end of the season? Does anyone know how the compensatory picks work?

MOtorboat
10-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Andrew Mason tweeted this earlier:

RT @MaxBroncos Determined based on production, new contract & when previous team drafted him, if applicable RT @foxram1261: how do compensatory picks work?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2011, 02:39 PM
the following is what happened this year. I would assume it is the same each year.

Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81ef2e1e/article/nfl-distributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-23-clubs

Tned
10-16-2011, 11:23 PM
What Carol posted is the key. They look at the free agents you lost, how productive they were, where they were drafted, etc. and at the free agents that you signed. If you are a net loser in free agency (lost more, and more productive players than you signed) than you are awarded compensatory picks.

frauschieze
10-17-2011, 06:43 AM
As I answered before, I think there's a slim chance that we'll end up in the running for compensatory picks since we don't have much talent on the team currently and have holes to fill at about every position.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-17-2011, 07:31 AM
As for vets on a new contract it's all incentive based, as outlined above. Contract, performance, etc.

Typically, compensatory picks are given out for players when their initial contract expires and they aren't re-signed for whatever reason. In the case of say Eddie Royal, he's finishing out his first contract and originally a 2nd round pick. If we choose not to re-sign him at the end of the year and he leaves, and we don't replace him with a comparable FA (say we just promote Riley off the PS), then we'd be eligible for a compensatory pick. He had one really good season and a couple sub-par ones so we might get a 5th or 6th round compensatory pick. Had he played to the level of his first season for all 4 years, it most likely would be a 3rd rounder (the highest possible).

The year we got 2 3rd round compensatory picks was the season when we didn't re-sign Trevor Pryce and Mike Anderson. I'm pretty sure it was for them. Neither Lloyd nor Royal really have that type of value and have the sustained performance to warrant a 3rd I don't think.

UnderArmour
10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm really hoping we end up keeping Lloyd anyways. We should be signing a guy like that to an extension instead of trading him away. Tebow needs a weapon like Lloyd who we know will do everything he can to catch the football especially considering Tebow's love of the deep ball. Tebow can get a ball to an area pretty well but his passes aren't always the most catchable but Lloyd puts on a show. Lloyd is a rare talent because he can get open down field and his hands are incredible when it comes to difficult catches. It just sucks. I don't care if we're 1-4; Lloyd is a major reason to keep watching this football team this season almost as much as Tebow.

Tned
10-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm really hoping we end up keeping Lloyd anyways. We should be signing a guy like that to an extension instead of trading him away. Tebow needs a weapon like Lloyd who we know will do everything he can to catch the football especially considering Tebow's love of the deep ball. Tebow can get a ball to an area pretty well but his passes aren't always the most catchable but Lloyd puts on a show. Lloyd is a rare talent because he can get open down field and his hands are incredible when it comes to difficult catches. It just sucks. I don't care if we're 1-4; Lloyd is a major reason to keep watching this football team this season almost as much as Tebow.

One of the problems with Lloyd is that he's boom or bust, so to speak. Yes, he makes the circus catch, but he comes up with a pretty low percentage of catches. Among the receivers targeted over 140 times last year, he had the lowest number of catches, by far. Among the 40 wide receivers targeted over 100 times, only Steve Smith had a lower percentage of receptions than Lloyd's 50%.