PDA

View Full Version : This is why you don’t name team captains

TXBRONC
10-16-2011, 08:35 AM
This is why you don’t name team captains
By Mike Klis
Posted October 12, 2011, 12:20 pm MT

In Orton, the Broncos now have a captain who has been demoted. He can say all the right things, but truth is, the Broncos now have an unhappy leader.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/10/12/this-is-why-you-dont-name-captains/10115/

In all the talk about Tebow being the starting quarterback I don't recall us talking about this part of the story. It is from the 12th so if this has been posted already I apologize.

Ravage!!!
10-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Captains also get put on IR. I don't think there is anything wrong with naming team captains.

claymore
10-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Anytime Orton is named captain of your team you know you are devoid of talent and leadership.

Ravage!!!
10-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Anytime Orton is named captain of your team you know you are devoid of talent and leadership.

Thanks McD

Northman
10-16-2011, 09:33 AM
I dont mind that players are named captain but as the guy said you have to be careful in who you choose.

Foochacho
10-16-2011, 09:40 AM
captains are a good thing for some of the players. Some people need help to be motivated, peers trying to motivate me just annoys me but some people like to be told what to do. People like me who think it is gay can ignore it while others can get some benefit from it.

BroncoWave
10-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Or it's just the standard that the starting QB is pretty much always named a captain.

chazoe60
10-16-2011, 10:27 AM
When does Orton not seem sullen and lethargic? He's a terrible team captain no matter the situation.

FlyByU
10-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Captains can be striped of that title anytime, and New ones promoted. If Orton is still Team Captain that is just screwed up and something that never should of been in the first place IMO. Orton hasn't got the ability to lead a pup across the street let alone a Pro Football team IMO.

jhildebrand
10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
In all the talk about Tebow being the starting quarterback I don't recall us talking about this part of the story. It is from the 12th so if this has been posted already I apologize.

I know when Orton was named captain, I said for the second year in a row Denver will finish the season with their captain on the bench.

It could happen that both an O AND D captain are benched or gone with DJ, too.

DenBronx
10-16-2011, 01:22 PM
They need to rename Tebow the team captain because Orton can't hold a candle to Tebows leadership ability.

Dean
10-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I can't speak for the NFL but at the high school level team captain is just a ceremonial position. Those that are leaders lead whether they are elected captains or not. Those that look for leadership will find it it they want; those that don't will not change until a majority peer pressure singles them out.

Anyone can call the flip at the beginning of the game and talk to the coach for a player too shy to do it themselves.

nevcraw
10-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I know when Orton was named captain, I said for the second year in a row Denver will finish the season with their captain on the bench.

It could happen that both an O AND D captain are benched or gone with DJ, too.

way to go out on a limb! :laugh: i think a few of us were on your wave length! :beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-21-2011, 02:32 PM
PostBroncos Lindsay Jones
#Broncos coach said Kyle Orton will remain a team captain despite losing starting job. "He's got the respect of those guys," Fox said.
18 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/PostBroncos

NightTerror218
10-21-2011, 02:35 PM
He may be captain but he is not running the huddle anymore. He wont be giving the coach his feedback about plays. He will lead stretches and call heads or tails. Tebow will have the rest of the leadership on offense.

Juriga72
10-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
PostBroncos Lindsay Jones
#Broncos coach said Kyle Orton will remain a team captain despite losing starting job. "He's got the respect of those guys," Fox said.
18 minutes ago

http://twitter.com/#!/PostBroncos

LMAO....... You betcha he does.... "MAN.. I wish I could sit on my butt and make 9 million"...