PDA

View Full Version : Now That Tebow Starts Who Do We Compare him to?

Npba900
10-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Now that Tebow is the starter its time to ask the question what NFL QB from the past does Tebow remind anyone of? I think he reminds me of Joe Kapp the QB of the Vikings during the 60's and 70's and Bobby Douglass the QB of the Chicago Bears from the 60's and 70's. I'm leaning more so with Bobby Douglas. They are both built the same, are left handed, and had knack to run with the ball and make plays with their feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiVlcjWBj00[/QUOTE]

OGaczuyWtCU

Northman
10-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Too early to say.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Need some time before we can do that I think... If I'm right you would be hard pressed to find anyone like Tim, he has a style of play all his own... Kind of like Gail Sayers had that weird stride.. who can you compair him to?

Davii
10-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Like others, I would say it's too early to tell. But.... Steve Young maybe? We shall see how he develops the rest of his game.

Plus, why do we have to compare him? Let him make his own identity and succeed or fail. I don't think we should compare or hold him to another player's success bench mark

Lancane
10-15-2011, 04:57 PM
He sort of reminds me of Jim McMahon of the Chicago Bears but less accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_JewzKZIHI

Npba900
10-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Need some time before we can do that I think... If I'm right you would be hard pressed to find anyone like Tim, he has a style of play all his own... Kind of like Gail Sayers had that weird stride.. who can you compair him to?

No doubt Sayers was a freak of nature for his time. However, I must also add its hard to say how Sayers would be as effective in today's NFL due to how athletic and fast players are on defense today. The closes player to remind me of Sayers would have been how Reggie Bush performed at the college level. But we can all agree at the pro level Bush doesn't even come close to Sayers. In fact right now Bush is looking like an epic BUST!!!

Dreadnought
10-15-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm hoping a cross between Steve Young and Ben Roethlisberger.

I am not discounting the Bobby Douglass possibility though, which would be a nightmare.

Also, consider a young Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton's coach, Norm Van Brocklin, had an NFL Championship under his belt from 1960, and was a brilliant conventional drop back QB. Tarkenton irritated the crap out of him (a natural hothead anyway), because he wouldn't stay in the pocket and improvised constantly. Van Brocklin's attempts to turn him into a pocket passer flopped. Tarkenton got frustrated, the two ended up hating eeach other, and Van Brocklin shipped him off to the Giants.

Kapp was an abject stiff, notwithstanding an NFL title for his Vikings in '69. The guy was probably the worst QB ever in a Superbowl (#4). Tarkenton never got a SB ring either, but had a tremendous career notwithstanding. The Vikes IMO blew their best chances for a SB win when they shipped him out, because by the time he returned they were no longer quite the overpowering defensive team of 1969-70

Lancane
10-15-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm hoping a cross between Steve Young and Ben Roethlisberger.

I am not discounting the Bobby Douglass possibility though, which would be a nightmare.

Also, consider a young Fran Tarkenton. Tarkenton's coach, Norm Van Brocklin, had an NFL Championship under his belt from 1960, and was a brilliant conventional drop back QB. Tarkenton irritated the crap out of him (a natural hothead anyway), because he wouldn't stay in the pocket and improvised constantly. Van Brocklin's attempts to turn him into a pocket passer flopped. Tarkenton got frustrated, the two ended up hating eeach other, and Van Brocklin shipped him off to the Giants.

Kapp was an abject stiff, notwithstanding an NFL title for his Vikings in '69. The guy was probably the worst QB ever in a Superbowl (#4). Tarkenton never got a SB ring either, but had a tremendous career notwithstanding. The Vikes IMO blew their best chances for a SB win when they shipped him out, because by the time he returned they were no longer quite the overpowering defensive team of 1969-70

Really Dread? I don't see any of Tarkenton in Tebow, and Steve Young might be too much of a prolific passer for Tebow to really fit that mold. I can see the comparison to Roethlisberger...but the more I see of him, the more he seriously reminds me of Jim McMahon.

Northman
10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Really Dread? I don't see any of Tarkenton in Tebow, and Steve Young might be too much of a prolific passer for Tebow to really fit that mold. I can see the comparison to Roethlisberger...but the more I see of him, the more he seriously reminds me of Jim McMahon.

Thats why he said he was "hoping" Tebow would be that.

Dzone
10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Steve Young

Lancane
10-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Thats why he said he was "hoping" Tebow would be that.

Oh...sorry, I re-read Dread's post.

When I watch Steve Young and that's who he's compared to the most, the more I see that he really should not be compared to him. And I can see where he thinks that Tebow is more like Tarkenton, they do have a similar playing style but I think Fran has a bigger arm then Tebow.

IMHO, he's got the body of Big Ben with the same exact arm, the legs and scrambling ability of Tarkenton and the mechanics and playing style of McMahon.

shank
10-15-2011, 05:21 PM
nobody. let's just see if he can win us some games.

Npba900
10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Steve Young

Good choice. Some people believe Young and Tebow have similarities....but Young had amazing running speed.

I remember watching Young in the early 80's. Before Young became a Super Bowl MVP and Hall of Fame player, Young heard what Tebow is hearing right now.

Steve Young's first pass with the USFL's L.A. Express during practice in 1984 fluttered like a wounded duck so much one would have thought it would be shot down by a hunter.

Young's early years from his NFL days in Tampa Bay was mostly Keystone Cops, with the quarterback running for his football life.

However, when Steve Young was traded to San Francisco, and mentored by Bill Walsh while watching impatiently behind Joe Montana, Steve's skills were harnessed and honed.

Perhaps instead of Elway mentoring along Tebow that job should go to Steve Young.....that is if Young is interested. Young threw left handed like Tebow and may be able to correct Tebow's wind up throwing motion. My second choice to mentor Tebow would be Warren Moon.

Moon's throwing mechanics, release, and delivery was second to none during his playing career and always threw the ball with a consistent spiral. If the NFL had a category-stats for tracking how often a QB threw with perfect mechanics and the most spirals.....it would be Warren Moon hands down he would own that record.

Nomad
10-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Hell yeah, shank! Why do we always have to compare instead of letting these young men make a name for themselves?!?

Davii
10-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I hope in fifteen years we're sitting here comparing other qb's to Tebow. In a positive light.

dogfish
10-15-2011, 07:42 PM
i've always said a young steve mcnair is the best current comparison for tebow. . . teeb's mechanical issues might be a little worse, but mcnair also struggled with footwork, timing, accuracy and reading defenses-- like tim, he was very raw. . . they're also similar runners, some quickness but mostly straightline guys with big frames. . . very tough, great leadership and intangibles-- both highly competitive. . .

dogfish
10-15-2011, 07:42 PM

shut up and play the game. . .

:D

Softskull
10-15-2011, 07:48 PM
He reminds me of my sister Mary. She's big and tenacious, but throws like a girl.

Agent of Orange
10-15-2011, 08:02 PM
He's a combination of Donovan McNabb and John Riggins.

FlyByU
10-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Too early to say.

I agree wait until he has at least 6 game under his belt then I can give you a better response to this.

I am thinking he may be his own and not comparable to anyone else, he does everything different then about any other QB that has come and gone. Like Maye's said he is Unorthodox in his play style.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 08:54 PM
IF I HAD to make a comparison to anyone I would have to say Rodger Staubach... crazy?

check this shit out... its Erie.

http://www.salisburypost.com/Lifestyle/100811-Tim-Tebow-and-religion-qcd

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_19022279?source=commented-

Once upon a time, there was this controversial quarterback.

Even his strongest defenders admitted that he was a fiery field general, not a conventional pinpoint passer. He made lots of big plays with his legs, dodging tacklers and creating havoc until he could unload the ball.

His throwing motion wasn’t much to look at, either. Purists said he brought the ball way too low while winding up to fire it deep.

On top of all that, he was devoutly religious and very conservative.

He was especially vocal about social issues, such as his belief that sex should be reserved for marriage — period.

Talent scouts were divided. Many were sure he would never succeed in professional football, even though he was a Heisman Trophy winner.

Besides, Roger Staubach had to serve as a Navy officer before he could start his Hall of Fame career with the Dallas Cowboys.

Davii
10-15-2011, 09:01 PM
IF I HAD to make a comparison to anyone I would have to say Rodger Staubach... crazy?

check this shit out... its Erie.

http://www.salisburypost.com/Lifestyle/100811-Tim-Tebow-and-religion-qcd

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_19022279?source=commented-

Even his strongest defenders admitted that he was a fiery field general, not a conventional pinpoint passer. He made lots of big plays with his legs, dodging tacklers and creating havoc until he could unload the ball.

His throwing motion wasn’t much to look at, either. Purists said he brought the ball way too low while winding up to fire it deep.

He was especially vocal about social issues, such as his belief that sex should be reserved for marriage — period.

Talent scouts were divided. Many were sure he would never succeed in professional football, even though he was a Heisman Trophy winner.

Besides, Roger Staubach had to serve as a Navy officer before he could start his Hall of Fame career with the Dallas Cowboys.

I totally get all the value discussions, morals, religion, etc. about Tim.

But what the hell does it have to do with football? Why do so many people want to incorporate all that when talking about Tim as an NFL QB?

I respect Tebow and appreciate his devout Christianity, but can we talk qb and talk values etc in the religion forum?

getlynched47
10-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Based on skill-set alone, he's a hybrid of Michael Vick and Ben Roethlisberger.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 09:09 PM

But what the hell does it have to do with football? Why do so many people want to incorporate all that when talking about Tim as an NFL QB?

I respect Tebow and appreciate his devout Christianity, but can we talk qb and talk values etc in the religion forum?

To this point their are exactly the same.. its not about the religion... its about the same persecution they went through... the same doubt people have that a college Heisman winning QB with great running ability and less impressive mechanics can be successful at the pro level.

you dont see the parallel? Its not like Tim has had 5 failed years in the NFL to say that hes only like Staubach in the religious aspect... so far hes very comparable and IF IF IF Tebow can win championships it would be like Staubach was reborn in TT.

Davii
10-15-2011, 09:15 PM
To this point their are exactly the same.. its not about the religion... its about the same persecution they went through... the same doubt people have that a college Heisman winning QB with great running ability and less impressive mechanics can be successful at the pro level.

you dont see the parallel? Its not like Tim has had 5 failed years in the NFL to say that hes only like Staubach in the religious aspect... so far hes very comparable and IF IF IF Tebow can win championships it would be like Staubach was reborn in TT.

I wasn't pointing a finger at you in particular BG. Merely pointing out that how dedicated a Christian someone is has nothing to do with their football skills.

It just seems that TT fans in particular have a hard time separating Tebow the man from Tebow the qb.

MOtorboat
10-15-2011, 09:27 PM

I could make an extremely parallel comparison between Tebow and Joey Harrington, with similar religious and humanitarian regards.

But this isn't about that.

Keep the religion out of it.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I wasn't pointing a finger at you in particular BG. Merely pointing out that how dedicated a Christian someone is has nothing to do with their football skills.

It just seems that TT fans in particular have a hard time separating Tebow the man from Tebow the qb.

I totally disagree with that... Tebow the person makes it easy to root for Tebow the player for most of us, especially the devout... to others it makes them hate him and his fans... like a few around here who cant stand what the kid stands for.

BUT none of my arguments for why TT is an elite QB has to do with religion...
when is the last time you heard from ANYONE that God is going to complete his passes?

really its more the atheists(or the ones that have a problem with Christianity in general) that have a hard time accepting TT because of his stance than anything... they cant get over his bible thumping and are guilty of what you are accusing... THEY cant seem to separate his religion from his play, IMO, you have it backwards.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I could make an extremely parallel comparison between Tebow and Joey Harrington, with similar religious and humanitarian regards.

I never brought religion into it. Davii did.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Thats what I thought.

MOtorboat
10-15-2011, 09:38 PM

So did you read the article 'God, Tim Tebow and the NFL' that you posted?

Or did it come out of thin air?

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 09:43 PM
I posted an article that showed the similarities between the two... one of those things was their belief.

But what I pointed to was THIS.

Now you guys chose to get caught up on the small part about their faith.... thats on you and proves my point... no one is saying religion will make him successful.. its YOU GUYS that are trying really hard to make that connection...

Davii
10-15-2011, 10:25 PM

Interesting. I kind of thought religion had something to do with that article titled "God, Tim Tebow, and the NFL".

I could be wrong though. :rolleyes:

MOtorboat
10-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Interesting. I kind of thought religion had something to do with that article titled "God, Tim Tebow, and the NFL".

You are. He only meant to highlight the non religious parts of the article that started with religion.

Keep religion out of the Broncos threads. The Tebow fan boidom is enough.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 10:35 PM

have no doubt... you are wrong. read the above post with care.

Religion is a part of life, but its just a part, just like the article... It had many, many similarities, you chose to trip on the one similarity which was faith. You chose to ignore all of them EXCEPT religion.

You can focus on everything else that was in the article, or you can pull one line out and trip on that... which is what you chose to do. That is on you Davii...

BTW interesting avi you chose... "Kafar" in arabic... Mine is of a Denver Bronco football player, yours is of anti-religion. Again it is you who brings the debate of religion into these forums, not I.

Ziggy
10-15-2011, 10:35 PM
i've always said a young steve mcnair is the best current comparison for tebow. . . teeb's mechanical issues might be a little worse, but mcnair also struggled with footwork, timing, accuracy and reading defenses-- like tim, he was very raw. . . they're also similar runners, some quickness but mostly straightline guys with big frames. . . very tough, great leadership and intangibles-- both highly competitive. . .

/thread. We have a winner.

I Eat Staples
10-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Mike McMahon. (Lions, Eagles, Vikings)

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 10:45 PM
I still say Staubach.

MOtorboat
10-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Tebow shouldn't be compared to Hall of Famers. That's an insult to the Hall of Famers.

I compare him to Joey Harrington.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Tebow shouldn't be compared to Hall of Famers. That's an insult to the Hall of Famers.

I compare him to Joey Harrington.

Compare Teebs to whatever you want Mo... I compare Teebs to Joey too... they share so much in common... Hiesmans, Championships and of course they both flopped in the NFL... wait what?

MOtorboat
10-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Compare Teebs to whatever you want Mo... I compare Teebs to Joey too... they share so much in common... Hiesmans, Championships and of course they both flopped in the NFL... wait what?

I don't compare quarterbacks who can't win the starting job over a terrible quarterback to Hall of Famers. I also don't compare quarterbacks who can't complete 50 percent of their passes to some of the best who've ever played the game.

Right now, he shares more with Joey Harrington than he does with any Hall of Famer he's compared to in this thread.

His college accomplishments mean shit to me.

Bullgator
10-15-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't compare quarterbacks who can't win the starting job over a terrible quarterback to Hall of Famers. I also don't compare quarterbacks who can't complete 50 percent of their passes to some of the best who've ever played the game.

Right now, he shares more with Joey Harrington than he does with any Hall of Famer he's compared to in this thread.

His college accomplishments mean shit to me.

What ever you say Mo! Its not like you've been wrong about everything I've ever seen you post. and since I respect your opinion so much Ill just take your word for it! :lol:

Lancane
10-15-2011, 11:37 PM
I still say he reminds me of Jim McMahon!

Davii
10-16-2011, 12:33 AM
have no doubt... you are wrong. read the above post with care.

Religion is a part of life, but its just a part, just like the article... It had many, many similarities, you chose to trip on the one similarity which was faith. You chose to ignore all of them EXCEPT religion.

You can focus on everything else that was in the article, or you can pull one line out and trip on that... which is what you chose to do. That is on you Davii...

BTW interesting avi you chose... "Kafar" in arabic... Mine is of a Denver Bronco football player, yours is of anti-religion. Again it is you who brings the debate of religion into these forums, not I.

I didn't rip on anything. To be honest I didn't read your article, specifically because of the title and the afore mentioned issue of Tebow's religion being tied to his on field attributes.

I was not, and am not, disagreeing with your post. All I was asking is why so many can't separate the two. I would agree with you that both sides of the coin are equally guilty, those that feel it is almost sacrilegious to speak poorly of Tim and those that won't give him a chance based on their hatred of his religious nature.

As to my avi, maybe you should ask why I have it, or what the significance of it is rather than assuming it is in some way anti religious in nature.

Bullgator
10-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I didn't rip on anything. To be honest I didn't read your article, specifically because of the title and the afore mentioned issue of Tebow's religion being tied to his on field attributes.

I was not, and am not, disagreeing with your post. All I was asking is why so many can't separate the two. I would agree with you that both sides of the coin are equally guilty, those that feel it is almost sacrilegious to speak poorly of Tim and those that won't give him a chance based on their hatred of his religious nature.

As to my avi, maybe you should ask why I have it, or what the significance of it is rather than assuming it is in some way anti religious in nature.

Fair enough... although I will say that I referred to your Avi as anti religious, not you.

:beer:

smith49
10-16-2011, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=Davii;1399397]Like others, I would say it's too early to tell. But.... Steve Young maybe? We shall see how he develops the rest of his game.

Agree with ya there Davii. I think young and TT have a ton of similarities. But your right, we'll see.

Ravage!!!
10-16-2011, 08:34 AM
I th ink the ONLY similarities between Young and Tebow is tht they are left handed. Other than that, not much. Hair color maybe?

Slick
10-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Charlie Ward?

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

FlyByU
10-16-2011, 09:53 AM

If you didn't catch it he was talking about Roger Staubach not Tim Tebow. And he was addressing the the thread as to who we can compare Tebow to and the Christianity issue came up because Staubach was about the same as Tebow in playing form, work ethic, and Beliefs. So I find it on subject myself and there is nothing wrong with bringing Christianity into a discussion about Tebow.

Christianity may be the driving force behind Tebow's performance.

fvkw
10-16-2011, 10:45 AM
I hope To the QB he was in the NCAA !!!!! I am so proud to have TEBOW, being home schooled and everything else !! I hope we have a new hero in Denver, cause LORD know's we need one!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

CrazyHorse
10-16-2011, 08:20 PM
A less accurate Steve Young. Kordell Stewart.

jhildebrand
10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
I think we should compare Tim Tebow to Tim Tebow. He is the only one. There is only one Elway, Brady, Manning, etc...

Magnificent Seven
10-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Good choice. Some people believe Young and Tebow have similarities....but Young had amazing running speed.

I remember watching Young in the early 80's. Before Young became a Super Bowl MVP and Hall of Fame player, Young heard what Tebow is hearing right now.

Steve Young's first pass with the USFL's L.A. Express during practice in 1984 fluttered like a wounded duck so much one would have thought it would be shot down by a hunter.

Young's early years from his NFL days in Tampa Bay was mostly Keystone Cops, with the quarterback running for his football life.

However, when Steve Young was traded to San Francisco, and mentored by Bill Walsh while watching impatiently behind Joe Montana, Steve's skills were harnessed and honed.

Perhaps instead of Elway mentoring along Tebow that job should go to Steve Young.....that is if Young is interested. Young threw left handed like Tebow and may be able to correct Tebow's wind up throwing motion. My second choice to mentor Tebow would be Warren Moon.

Moon's throwing mechanics, release, and delivery was second to none during his playing career and always threw the ball with a consistent spiral. If the NFL had a category-stats for tracking how often a QB threw with perfect mechanics and the most spirals.....it would be Warren Moon hands down he would own that record.

I second! It would be Steve Young and Mark Brunell.

sneakers
10-17-2011, 02:40 AM
That really fat QB that started for Kentucky a few years back....I think he wore #22.

Lancane
10-17-2011, 03:09 AM
That really fat QB that started for Kentucky a few years back....I think he wore #22.

Jared Lorenzen

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6E0nRw-Pkyw/Tmf5vCVQdwI/AAAAAAAAC24/as8991Q_dJk/s1600/sept9th.jpg

sneakers
10-17-2011, 04:55 AM
Jared Lorenzen

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6E0nRw-Pkyw/Tmf5vCVQdwI/AAAAAAAAC24/as8991Q_dJk/s1600/sept9th.jpg

Damn, he is fatter than I remember! He has 50 pounds on JaWalrus Russell!

Lancane
10-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Damn, he is fatter than I remember! He has 50 pounds on JaWalrus Russell!

He got bigger...he's like 6'4 350lbs.

http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web05/2011/5/18/6/ex-nfl-player-jared-lorenzen-resurfaces-bigger-th-32344-1305716357-31.jpg

Cugel
10-17-2011, 08:44 AM

"Gail" Sayers? Dude that is just so wrong! There was nothing girly about that guy!

Bullgator
10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Jared Lorenzen

Due to Lorenzen's considerable girth, he has been given a collection of nicknames, which include: "Jumbo Giant", "Fat Jared", "Quarter(got)back", "QBese",[9][10] "Hefty Lefty",[11] "The Pillsbury Throwboy",[12] "J.Load",[13] "Round Mound of Touchdown", "Tubby Gunslinger",[13][14]"BBQ (Big Beautiful Quarterback)"[15] - "Battleship Lorenzen",[16] "Butterball",[17] "Lord Of The Ring-Dings",[18] and "He Ate Me".[19] Twinkie Monster was also a name given to him at the Dow Event Center by fans of the Saginaw Sting.

:lol::lol::lol:

anyways, you haters are going to get owned in the face soon enough. SUCKS to be you.

Northman
10-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Jared Lorenzen

Thats a great DT if ive ever seen one.

vandammage13
10-17-2011, 02:43 PM
There is no QB that you can compare Tebow to.

I know there will be some that might jump on and say "he's not going to revolutionize the position."

I'm not saying he's going to revolutionize anything...If anything, he'll have to conform to the NFL game, not vice versa, but there is no current or past QB that plays a style that Tebow does.

Time will tell if it is a style that can work in the NFL...So far he hasn't looked bad IMO.

G_Money
10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
I agree with Steve McNair as a high-side comp. He also held the ball low and didn't look real pretty throwing the ball - he even threw the occasional jump pass. All he did was win league MVP as a tough SOB. Teams used to stack the box with 8-man fronts against him too early in his career when they doubted his passing ability to stop both him and Eddie George at the line.

30,000 yards passing, 3500 rushing, didn't have a great TD/INT ratio but was just viewed as "a winner..."

Add a SB trophy to the resume and I could live with that.

~G

PS - His low-side comp is someone like BVP, and medium is Vince Young with a better attitude, so let's make sure he hits the high-side, kay?

Lancane
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
anyways, you haters are going to get owned in the face soon enough. SUCKS to be you.

No one's hating, we're having fun and joking around...pull the stick out of your ass and don't take everything so serious!

:tsk:

I Eat Staples
10-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Actually, it doesn't suck to be us. We either get to brag about being right or we get a franchise QB in Tebow. I'm hoping for the latter, but at least I have a consolation prize.

You Gator fans may just be useful after all!

Medford Bronco
10-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Well said, that is what I was looking. If Tebow is 50% of Young he is an upgrade over Orton.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
No one's hating, we're having fun and joking around...pull the stick out of your ass and don't take everything so serious!

:tsk:

lol sounds painful:lol:

Medford Bronco
10-17-2011, 08:05 PM
I agree with Steve McNair as a high-side comp. He also held the ball low and didn't look real pretty throwing the ball - he even threw the occasional jump pass. All he did was win league MVP as a tough SOB. Teams used to stack the box with 8-man fronts against him too early in his career when they doubted his passing ability to stop both him and Eddie George at the line.

30,000 yards passing, 3500 rushing, didn't have a great TD/INT ratio but was just viewed as "a winner..."

~G

PS - His low-side comp is someone like BVP, and medium is Vince Young with a better attitude, so let's make sure he hits the high-side, kay?

I would take McNair. At least it would be much more exciting than the 7-24 Record we have in our last 31 games which is 6-22 for Orton.

nevcraw
10-17-2011, 09:18 PM

how bout not put words in other posters mouths..try no to let your Tebow fanboy hate turn every thread into bitchy moto time.. it's soooo booooring...

Northman
10-17-2011, 09:20 PM

~G

And he didnt even come from the SEC. He was from Alcorn St. right?

MOtorboat
10-17-2011, 09:26 PM
how bout not put words in other posters mouths..try no to let your Tebow fanboy hate turn every thread into bitchy moto time.. it's soooo booooring...

Who's mouth did I put words in with that post?

At least make sense if you're going to whine about my posts.

nevcraw
10-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Low side - Young in Tampa. High side Young in SF. Hopefully he gets the time to mature here between the the 2.
Low side > than the once considered Franchise QB Orton.

nevcraw
10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Who's mouth did I put words in with that post?

At least make sense if you're going to whine about my posts.

not whining (pretty weak deflection) -- just pointing out that he didn't mention religion but you hammered him for it anyway..

MOtorboat
10-17-2011, 09:46 PM
not whining (pretty weak deflection) -- just pointing out that he didn't mention religion but you hammered him for it anyway..

Posting articles entitled "God, Tim Tebow and the NFL" is mentioning religion, no matter how much the poster backtracks.

Can anyone actually show me someone who has criticized Tebow for his religious beliefs?

Lancane
10-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Posting articles entitled "God, Tim Tebow and the NFL" is mentioning religion, no matter how much the poster backtracks.

Can anyone actually show me someone who has criticized Tebow for his religious beliefs?

The Romans? Besides the fact they're all dead and Tebow's ass isn't nailed to a cross somewhere.

:laugh:

nevcraw
10-17-2011, 10:45 PM

slide away from it all you want but he compared roger S. v. Tebow -- the article title was not mentioned but the article was referenced in the comparison... hardly the same as bringing religion into the the thread.. but whatevs.. like you'd admit you were only going after the guy cuz he's a teens fanboy..
night night..

I Eat Staples
10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Low side - Young in Tampa. High side Young in SF. Hopefully he gets the time to mature here between the the 2.

Who considered Orton a franchise QB? I've heard he gives us the best chance to win, he's a good game manager, he's the best we have right now, but NEVER franchise QB.

slim
10-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Donovan McNabb or Steve McNair.

NightTerror218
10-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Jesus

hamrob
10-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Tim Tebow = Steve Young all the way!!!!

dunk7
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Bradlee Van Pelt

Npba900
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Yep! His middle name was "Hog Head". It appears Ole' "Hog Head" ate himself out of the league.:lol:

BroncoNut
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
jesus

Npba900
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM

EFX still need to draft a QB perhaps Number 1 or 2 in the 2012 draft. Why not shoot for a possible Farve---Aaron Rodgers scenario if you can do it. Rodgers waited in the wings for 3 years.

If Tebow doesn't work out in 2-3 years, EFX will have already drafted and groomed a high pick top College QB who excelled in a pro style offense in college that played from the pocket (As Elway has already emphasized and so badly wants) and can accurately make all the throws from the pocket coming out of college.

Point is, Tebow will have 2-3 years to prove he can become the Pocket passing QB EFX so badly want to see and have run the Bronco franchise for 12-16 years.

echobravo
10-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Never have like comparing players this early in their careers. Always seems like some fan or analyst will christen a rookie the "next coming of."

NorCalBronco7
10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Tebow has the most unique skillset of any Qb Ive ever seen in the NFL. A trucking Qb......cmon! Theres really no comparisons. The most common one I hear is Steve Young. Has Young ever ran over a defender? Maybe he did, once, but he sure as hell never make it a habbit.

I think if anybody compares to Tebow its big Ben. Ive seen a couple times in a game where Bens ran over a defender. But still nothing like Tebow does.

NightTerror218
10-19-2011, 07:16 PM
EFX still need to draft a QB perhaps Number 1 or 2 in the 2012 draft. Why not shoot for a possible Farve---Aaron Rodgers scenario if you can do it. Rodgers waited in the wings for 3 years.

If Tebow doesn't work out in 2-3 years, EFX will have already drafted and groomed a high pick top College QB who excelled in a pro style offense in college that played from the pocket (As Elway has already emphasized and so badly wants) and can accurately make all the throws from the pocket coming out of college.

Point is, Tebow will have 2-3 years to prove he can become the Pocket passing QB EFX so badly want to see and have run the Bronco franchise for 12-16 years.

That is completely idiotic comparison. Farve was already in the league for 10 years before they draft Aaron Rodgers. He was already a HOF bound QB by then. They drafted Aaron Rodgers because they thought he was getting older and was going to retire.

Tebow is in his 2nd year. You either draft a Qb to replace him or you dont. You dont draft a QB just to draft a QB for fun in the 1st round. You draft one later as a back up. You dont waste a 1st rounder on a non-starter guy who could sit 3 years and maybe start, if Tebow doesn't get extension.

Worst thinking, lets draft Landry Jones after Tebow has a break out year and is the starter no question. Let Landry sit for 3 years and maybe he will pass up Tebow who is playing amazing. Would be better to get a 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe if Quinn or a another Qb is not signed. But there are so many holes that if Tebow is good why draft a new QB.

If Tebow fails, that is a completely different scenario. You draft a QB in the 1st I would assume no question because if Tebow is bad we are in the TOP 5 draft picks and try to get the franchise QB we need.

Little premature to assume drafting a QB right now. Got 11 games to evaluate him.

HammeredOut
10-20-2011, 09:23 AM

Can you pass around that stuff your smoking bud??

It amazes me how somebody can insult a HOF QB like Steve Young, and not only be compared, but placed in the same sentence as Tim Tebow. This is pathetic.

I would compare Tim Tebow to Matt Leinhart. Both are coming out of the draft over-hyped, and from Left Handed QBs that were drafted, only about 8 of them in the history of the NFL actually had good careers. So from that stat alone, can Tebow be the 9th left handed QB to actually have a good career in the NFL? That was the same question, Matt Leinhart had to find the answer out too, and we all know how that went.

I also think Chris Simms is a fair comparison, another QB whom Tim Tebow's velocity is comparable too.

MOtorboat
10-20-2011, 09:44 AM
In before left-handed.

Oh wait...

NightTerror218
10-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Can you pass around that stuff your smoking bud??

It amazes me how somebody can insult a HOF QB like Steve Young, and not only be compared, but placed in the same sentence as Tim Tebow. This is pathetic.

I would compare Tim Tebow to Matt Leinhart. Both are coming out of the draft over-hyped, and from Left Handed QBs that were drafted, only about 8 of them in the history of the NFL actually had good careers. So from that stat alone, can Tebow be the 9th left handed QB to actually have a good career in the NFL? That was the same question, Matt Leinhart had to find the answer out too, and we all know how that went.

I also think Chris Simms is a fair comparison, another QB whom Tim Tebow's velocity is comparable too.

I can compare Tebow to Elway......next great QB for the Broncos. It is more likely then a Leinhart comparison. All the hype is that he is going to fail, but he is also one of the most popular football players in the NFL. Leinhart was said to be amazing coming out of college not Tebow.

Tebow has good velocity just doesn't use it on short passes, he can throw a football for sure. Seems like he does a lob pass instead of putting some heat on it.

Edit: As for being a lefty QB, same percentage of lefty QBs succeed as right handed. When was the last time a left handed QB succeeded, Steve Young? Based on the percentage and odds a lefty is due. Just the fact that so many more right handed QBs come out then lefty is makes the odds less likely but the percent is still the same. So the fact that he is left means little since all drafted QBs have the same percent chance to succeed.

BroncoNut
10-20-2011, 02:35 PM
I think Tebow is most comparable to Mark Brunell.

vandammage13
10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't think there's really anyone like him, but if I were forced to pick someone I would say he reminds me of a more explosive version of Steve McNair.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I think Vince Young (skill wise)

Lancane
10-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Jesus

Excuse yourself Phidelt, Jesus could throw a long ball over 75 yards without it losing steam, Tebow is lucky if he can throw it 45 yards with the ball losing steam!

NightTerror218
10-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Excuse yourself Phidelt, Jesus could throw a long ball over 75 yards without it losing steam, Tebow is lucky if he can throw it 45 yards with the ball losing steam!

Well it must have enough steam because he has thrown some already in his career :beer:

nevcraw
10-20-2011, 08:33 PM
doug flutie on steroids..

Lancane
10-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Well it must have enough steam because he has thrown some already in his career :beer:

I have no problem with Tebow not having the biggest arm, you don't need to have a big arm to be successful, and it's not like he is weak armed either. But he's not in the same class as Randall Cunningham, John Elway, Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers, Dan Marino, Jay Cutler, Dan Fouts and their ilk. More of in the same class as Jim McMahon, Steve McNair, Matt Cassel, Ken Stabler, David Garrard, Joe Montana and Matt Hasselbeck.

NightTerror218
10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
my real camparision...Kurt Warner, underrated player who people said would never make it. Also a devout christian who was overly criticized for it. Article with Warner quotes about Tebow and his camparision of himself to Tebow.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82353180/article/tebow-haters-dont-shake-quarterbacks-faith-in-higher-calling-

Poet
10-22-2011, 03:09 AM
John Elway.

BAM!

That just happened.

Poet
10-22-2011, 03:11 AM
I think Tebow is most comparable to Mark Brunell.

This is actually one of the best comparisons in the thread.

A lefty QB who is mobile and a playmaker. Maybe not an incredibly down-the-field passer but not a stiff either.

Fantastic post, Nut.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2011, 02:41 PM
my real camparision...Kurt Warner, underrated player who people said would never make it. Also a devout christian who was overly criticized for it. Article with Warner quotes about Tebow and his camparision of himself to Tebow.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82353180/article/tebow-haters-dont-shake-quarterbacks-faith-in-higher-calling-

You you are comparing on their religious beliefs rather than their playing style, because you couldn't pick a guy further from Tebow plays.

Shazam!
10-22-2011, 03:29 PM
...it's not like he is weak armed either. But he's not in the same class as Randall Cunningham, John Elway, Warren Moon, Phillip Rivers, Dan Marino, Jay Cutler, Dan Fouts and their ilk. More of in the same class as Jim McMahon, Steve McNair, Matt Cassel, Ken Stabler, David Garrard, Joe Montana and Matt Hasselbeck.

Riiiiiight. :facepalm:

Lancane
10-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Riiiiiight. :facepalm:

Shazam, you can believe whatever you like (but the stats don't lie and neither does film)...Tebow has never thrown a completed pass more then about 50 yards, never. He's had some that have been caught and run the distance, I think his biggest is 77 yards to Deonte Thompson in 2008, and the pass itself was I believe a little over 45 yards.

Tebow doesn't have a cannon arm, he's about average by all accounts, but that doesn't mean he can not be successful.

Poet
10-22-2011, 07:30 PM
His arm is stronger than hasselbeck and drew brees.

Glad those two guys never amounted to shit.

Lancane
10-22-2011, 07:53 PM
His arm is stronger than hasselbeck and drew brees.

Glad those two guys never amounted to shit.

Let's not forget Jim McMahon and Joe Montana.