PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the addition of the Broncos News Wire on the right side of pages?

Tned
10-15-2011, 03:56 PM
I've been playing around with ways to improve the site and make some important/interesting stuff more visible. Do you like having a narrow side bar on the right for things like Broncos news wire and similar stuff?

That area could have news wire, articles, maybe Broncos related Tweets. That kind of stuff.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

T

EDIT and NOTE: Since the initial reaction was so against it, even though only a handful of people have voted or commented, I have taken the news wire down from the right side. I have attached screen shots to this post showing it, so those that didn't see it live can look at the change and comment on whether they like it or don't like it, or would like to see some variation of it.

Click on the small thumbnails below to view the screen shots.

Agent of Orange
10-15-2011, 03:57 PM
No. Too much clutter.

Day1BroncoFan
10-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I didn't notice it before I saw this thread.

Lancane
10-15-2011, 04:00 PM
It's visually annoying, a little too much if you ask me.

We have the front page that acts much the same, it really was not needed.

DenBronx
10-15-2011, 04:01 PM
I thought that's what the live feed thread was for at the top?

Either way I usually dont notice them.

sneakers
10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
everything is smooooshed.

dogfish
10-15-2011, 04:23 PM
totally ass-rapes the site. . . please god, make it go away!!

Tned
10-15-2011, 04:25 PM
totally ass-rapes the site. . . please god, make it go away!!

I'm beginning to understand how a little background color change at Mania was such a big deal... :lol:

Buff
10-15-2011, 04:30 PM
No... I don't come here to get linked to outside sources.

And it doesn't show up on the work friendly... I thought there was something wrong with my browser.

dogfish
10-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm beginning to understand how a little background color change at Mania was such a big deal... :lol:

you're one of the two who've voted yes, aren't you?

:heh:

Northman
10-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Dont care for it, too much clutter.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I definitely don't like it - is there a way that someone could see it that way if they want, or not see it that way if they don't want to see it?

Tned
10-15-2011, 04:34 PM
you're one of the two who've voted yes, aren't you?

:heh:

I still haven't voted, smart ass. :lol:

Here's photographic proof...

Tned
10-15-2011, 04:36 PM
I definitely don't like it - is there a way that someone could see it that way if they want, or not see it that way if they don't want to see it?

Possibly, but not easily. Hence the reason I immediately put a poll up to see if people like it. Based on the initial reaction, I'll probably yank it back down soon.

Just trying to see how to make the site more one-stop shopping for people that are trying to follow the Broncos -- news, fan chat, etc.

Northman
10-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Its really quite annoying. Can we please change it back?

Tned
10-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Its really quite annoying. Can we please change it back?

Let's wait for a little more feedback, since once I take it down, the poll won't make much sense.

In the meantime, can you explain what's annoying about it? Just that it's a chance? Less room for the posts on the left? Etc.

Lancane
10-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Let's wait for a little more feedback, since once I take it down, the poll won't make much sense.

In the meantime, can you explain what's annoying about it? Just that it's a chance? Less room for the posts on the left? Etc.

It overloads the senses visually, some people can focus well on an area of the screen, but there are others that take in the whole screen visually and it's a bit too much, it's rather annoying because my right eye tries to focus on the News Wire while my left focuses on the thread I'm reading or the list of threads I am looking at.

Northman
10-15-2011, 04:48 PM

The biggest hinderance is it messes with my browser when the page loads. Rather than the thread just popping up it drags while the sidebar loads making the page load slower. It reminds me way too much of the stuff they threw on FB which i didnt care for either.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2011, 04:48 PM
People get used to things the way they are. There is nothing wrong with a small change here and there, but I consider this a major change, and we know how a major change on BC went.

It makes the major area of BF much smaller.

LordTrychon
10-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Didn't mind it so much when it showed up when I searched for new threads, but a bit annoying that the threads themselves are offcenter now as well when reading. Get so used to centered stuff on the web.

Probably get used to it eventually... but I don't think I'll read it... just like I don't read the ads.

Er.... That is to say.... Good god, why do you hate us! Are you trying to kill my eyes with your insolence?!

UnderArmour
10-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I dislike the side bar because it's tacky and unnecessary. I think it's redundant to have links to articles when people will post and share the articles on the boards anyways. If something groundbreaking happens, enough people who check other outlets will have it posted within a minute or so anyways. As addicted to Broncos news as I may be, I can't say I'll care enough that Eddie Royal tweets he is having a Chili Dog to need to see it on a side bar. It was a nice thought though.

Tned
10-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Ok, It's gone and I added screen shots to the original post for those that want to comment but didn't see it live.

I didn't think of it as a major change like Mania switching to white :lol:, but I guess that shows us guys in the sticks just aren't very smart.

Back to normal.

Lancane
10-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Thank you! :beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-15-2011, 05:24 PM

Yes Tned - thank you

Davii
10-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I think it just puts too much on the screen at any given time. Having there at all times is just too much.

Can we put a link to a news feed or something along those lines? Then if people want to go see all the news that's fit to print it's still right there, easily accesible. I think that would do what you want, bring the forums closer to being a one stop shop for all things Broncos, but still maintain the look and feel of the site currently.

Northman
10-15-2011, 05:30 PM
It really is much better. Nice thought though.

LordTrychon
10-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey!

I had just gotten used to it!

Now I can't stand this site without it!

Nomad
10-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Your sig pic is funny! I miss Broncolinguis's avis...I wish he'd come around more.

Oh, Tned.....we're a bunch of old fogies and don't like change!:D

Day1BroncoFan
10-15-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm kind of on the fence on this. It didn't bother me when it was up but I don't know if I'd ever use it.

Dreadnought
10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Your sig pic is funny! I miss Broncolinguis's avis...I wish he'd come around more.

Oh, Tned.....we're a bunch of old fogies and don't like change!:D

Cosigned. Always remember, change must always be feared, resisted, hated, and opposed. Thats the principal that guides my life! :D

dogfish
10-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Ok, It's gone and I added screen shots to the original post for those that want to comment but didn't see it live.

I didn't think of it as a major change like Mania switching to white :lol:, but I guess that shows us guys in the sticks just aren't very smart.

Back to normal.

gracias. . . much better. . .

as soon as i saw it, it immediately felt cramped as hell. . . and the off-center was just weird. . . bad. . . it kinda felt like somebody was squeezing my brain with tongs. . . much better as it is, thanks. . .

also, could you please ban lord tampon? he's been getting a little too sarcastic for his own good lately. . .

:welcome:

Tned
10-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Ok, but fair warning to those that fear and hate change...

1. I can't keep putting off the change to vBulletin 4.xx. Not only is that the product they are making improvements to (like a better mobile site than the mobile.broncosforums.com that we have), but that will also be the product that's beefed up in terms of security, anti-spamming, etc.

The sole reason I've heald off moving to vB 4.0, even though I should have done it quite some time ago, is because I know many are going to hate the fact that it changed.

Here's an example of a site running vB 4.0 -- http://www.howardforums.com/forums.php

It basically does all the same stuff (some improvements like a MUCH better edit for creating posts), but they've rearraged things and made some navigation changes.

2. I may make some changes to the homepage, to make it more newsy, for lack of a better word. I'm toying with either changing the layout a little and what appears on the homepage in terms of content or replacing the homepage with something like Wordpress, which is fairly common for people to do -- Wordpress for the homepage, vBulletin for the community/forum stuff.

Nomad
10-15-2011, 07:42 PM
We'll get use to it as well. What ever makes this place better...do it!