PDA

View Full Version : AP source: Big East to invite Boise St, 3 others

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2011, 04:29 PM
NEW YORK—The Big East plans to invite Boise State, Air Force and Navy as football-only members, and Central Florida to compete in all sports, after it doubles the exit fee for current members to $10 million.

An official in the Big East, speaking on condition of anonymity because the conference had not authorized anyone to speak publicly about its plans, told The Associated Press​ the invites could go out as soon as next week, but could take longer.

The officials also said Commissioner John Marinatto was in Cincinnati on Friday meeting with representatives from UCF.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19114528

Buff
10-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I heard that the Big 12 invited Air Force, but Air Force turned them down... That seems crazy to me that the Big 12 would even consider Air Force. How can they possibly recruit against TX and OK? The Big East is a little bit better fit, especially if Navy is going too.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
With the invite for AF being for football only, what happens to their other sports programs, especially if the MWC replaces AF? Do each of the other sports areas scramble to find a conference where they can play? Could be a mess.

MOtorboat
10-14-2011, 05:08 PM
According to our old friend at the Gazette, Frank Schwab, they might go to the Missouri Valley.

I think the question is, is this enough to keep the Big East's automatic qualifier status.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2011, 05:09 PM
from article:

Boise State and Air Force would have to find a conference to house their other sports. A return to the WAC is possible for both, though WAC commissioner Karl Benson said Friday that he has only had hypothetical conversations with Boise State and Air Force officials about those schools joining as non-football members.

full article - http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7101780/big-east-double-exit-fee-invite-four-schools-expansion

Northman
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
I would like to see Boise St. i in a harder conference.

Nomad
10-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I've always read the turnoff of Boise St is mostly the academics. What are they lacking as a university that a conference like the Big 12 or Pac 10 won't come knocking?

atwater27
10-14-2011, 08:11 PM
It's all about the magical blue field.

MOtorboat
10-14-2011, 08:18 PM
I've always read the turnoff of Boise St is mostly the academics. What are they lacking as a university that a conference like the Big 12 or Pac 10 won't come knocking?

Local talent and television sets.

Nomad
10-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Local talent and television sets.

Yeah, this is most likely the biggest reason, but what academic programs are they missing or is it some kind of accreditation they are lacking. Someone said one program they are lacking has to do with medical. Just curious to know and how could they fix the academic part because I haven't really found a clear explanation. Nothing's gonna fix the local talent or tv sets....I don't hear people screaming to go to Boise, ID.