PDA

View Full Version : BCS Bowl Games

Denver Native (Carol)
12-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Discuss the BCS Bowl Games here. I really do not know much about the teams playing in them, but my son will be the head referee in the Sugar Bowl on 1-2 in New Orleans. :elefant:

broncophan
12-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Go Bucks against Texas!!!!!!

I know there are alot of Ohio St. haters out there.......who think the Bucks will get blown out again........

Hopefully the bucks go out to AZ. and play well.....

GO BUCKS!!!

Nomad
12-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Go Bucks against Texas!!!!!!

I know there are alot of Ohio St. haters out there.......who think the Bucks will get blown out again........

Hopefully the bucks go out to AZ. and play well.....

GO BUCKS!!!

I hope the Buckeyes win as well! I root for any team to beat Texass but in the end I beleive Texass will be too much for the Buckeyes! I guess the BCS did make the right choice afterall, not putting Boise St in a BCS game;)!

Northman
12-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Man, i didnt catch much of the Bowl Games today but that boy Hicks from UNC was unbelievable. WOW

Nomad
12-31-2008, 07:02 PM
:salute:to Vandy on their bowl win! The first bowl win since 1955!

Broncolingus
12-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Totally agree...

On the non-BCS front...didn't see OSU losing last night damnit...

CSUs win made me happy and still carrying over from that though...

...oh, and Texas should be playing Florida.

Nomad
12-31-2008, 07:21 PM
I've got my purple and gold on but I have a bad feeling about this GT/LSU game.

honz
01-02-2009, 03:49 PM
GO UTES!!!

Also, I hope the coverage for the Sugar Bowl is better than FOX's coverage of the Cotton Bowl. Pat Summerall is terrible and the production looks like that of a local high school football game. I'm glad ESPN took some of the BCS games from FOX.

MOtorboat
01-02-2009, 03:56 PM
GO UTES!!!

Also, I hope the coverage for the Sugar Bowl is better than FOX's coverage of the Cotton Bowl. Pat Summerall is terrible and the production looks like that of a local high school football game. I'm glad ESPN took some of the BCS games from FOX.

ESPN should have them all back in 2010. The production is just pathetic. NFL guys can't call college games and vice versa. Johnston (I think that was Johnston, wasn't it), didn't know a damn thing about anyone on the field except Crabtree and Oher, because those are Round 1 prospects, and Summeral is just way too old. They could have pulled their Big 12 Game of the Week Team from Fox Sports Midwest/Southwest, whatever it is they are on, and it would have been 10 times better coverage. Fox has failed miserably at this. I don't understand why they don't get the Regional Fox Sports guys involved with their BCS coverage, plus it would be cross promotion, just like "ESPN on ABC."

Not well thought out by Fox when they won the contract.

Northman
01-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Texas Tech choking like dogs right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2009, 05:49 PM
GO UTES!!!

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2008/12/fox_announces_announcers_for_i.html

Bowl action rolls on later that evening with the 2009 ALLSTATE SUGAR BOWL (7:30 PM ET/4:30 PM PT) featuring the 4th-ranked Alabama Crimson Tide against the 6th-ranked and undefeated University of Utah Utes live from the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans. Play-by-play announcer Kenny Albert teams with former Dallas Cowboys fullback Daryl Johnston on the call, while Charissa Thompson and Myers report from the sidelines. Barry Landis produces and Mike Frank directs.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Summerall should have retired long before he retired and shouldn't have come back.

After he once called Aeneas Williams "Anus", it was time to call it a career. Instead, he did about five more Super Bowls in his droning "I'd sound like this even if 20 cattle prods were shoved up my butt" style that was only overshadowed by John Madden's manic-depressive behavior.

Yeah, I could certainly see a Joel Meyers doing a bowl game and at least sounding like he gave a crap.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
WOW - So far, Utah is lookin GREAT :salute:

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 08:56 PM
"A Ute? What's a Ute?"

Alabama is finding out.

Start printing those 2008 mythical national championship t-shirts...

Northman
01-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Im kind of surprised by this. Utah looks good.

Nomad
01-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Alabama fans look like a MACK truck hit them! Utes need to keep the momentum because Alabama can come back in a hurry!

honz must be on cloud 9 right now!:lol:

I thought TT was going to destroy Ole Miss!:coffee:

honz
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Alabama fans look like a MACK truck hit them! Utes need to keep the momentum because Alabama can come back in a hurry!

Anyone who has seen Utah play this year knew that they were capable of this...we have a gret team and a great defense.

It's been a great start, but we need to keep pouring it on. Bama is really good and there is a ton of time left.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Anyone who has seen Utah play this year knew that they were capable of this...we have a gret team and a great defense.

It's been a great start, but we need to keep pouring it on. Bama is really good and there is a ton of time left.

So far, so good for Utah :salute: - and don't forget to give a little love for the Head Referee :salute:

Northman
01-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Nothing has gone to plan today as i thought it would. Tech lost, ECU lost, and Bama is getting their asses handed to them. But this is what makes these Bowl games so fun to watch.

LoyalSoldier
Once again, proof that a tough conference doesn't make you the best team in the country.

honz
So far, so good for Utah :salute: - and don't forget to give a little love for the Head Referee :salute:
A well called game so far. I bet your son is having a blast calling such a big game.

Northman
01-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Once again, proof that a tough conference doesn't make you the best team in the country.

Well, to be fair any dog can have its day. But, i would like to see the rankings not start until mid season when you can get a better idea how good a team is and who they have played. This way when teams like Utah finally do get ranked they are near the top with a chance for a Title.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
A well called game so far. I bet your son is having a blast calling such a big game.

Thanks - he was very nervous - biggest game he has ever called so far.

Northman
01-02-2009, 09:32 PM
And just like that Bama getting back in it.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Alabama gets the break they need with a punt return for a TD. Still trails Utah 21-10 in the 2nd but they've posted the last ten points.

LoyalSoldier
01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Well, to be fair any dog can have its day. But, i would like to see the rankings not start until mid season when you can get a better idea how good a team is and who they have played. This way when teams like Utah finally do get ranked they are near the top with a chance for a Title.

Sure any dog can have its day which is why it is stupid to have this BCS system. The best team in a weekend may not be the #1 ranked team.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, the referee just got his first critical call. Utah had a 4th and 1 and tried a trick shift to draw Alabama offsides. It worked but the call went against Utah because the offense was making movements that would simulate the start of a play. I think the ref made the right call even though it worked just the way the Utah coach drew it up.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Halftime. Utah leads, 21-10 and will start the second half with the ball and a 15-yard personal foul yardage assessed against Alabama after the half expired.

honz
01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
The officials are missing tons of holding calls on Bama's OLine...and I don't know about that spot on 3rd down and then the penalty call on the Utes on 4th.

Overall, a good half for my Utes. We just need to come back in the 2nd half and put some points up on our first drive and gain some momentum back. Our defense is playing really well and getting tons of pressure on Wilson...we need to do better against their 1st down runs though. Go UTES!!!

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 10:05 PM
There was a textbook holding call on the final play of the half that was not called. The Alabama lineman spun the Utah rusher completely around when JPW broke out of the pocket and held him. No call. That's the umpire's job but the referee will also call it if it is in the backfield which this was.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Tide converts a fumble into six points - it's now a ballgame! Utah 21, Alabama 17.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Johnson responds with a TD pass...Utah 28, Bama 17 in the 3rd.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Coffee got creamed. Bama settles for the FG attempt and...no good. Utah still up by 11.

honz
01-02-2009, 10:43 PM
My Utes are hanging tough. Let's put a few more points up here, boys!!! GO UTES!!!

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Florida beat undefeated Alabama by 11. If Utah wins by that much or more and Florida beats Oklahoma, I think Utah ought to be National Champions.

honz
01-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Good job getting out of our endzone there and a lucky bounce on that punt. Let's see if our D can keep making plays.

honz
01-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Great stand! C'mon Utes, let's run some clock. Another TD here would probably ice the game.

Nomad
01-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I know it's premature, but congrats to the Utes! I love seeing Bama fans unhappy:lol:.

I would rather see all the SEC teams win their bowl games but this game is an exception.:D

honz
01-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't know about that penalty call on the punt there...pretty weak.

OrangeHoof
01-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Florida lost to Ole Miss who also beat Texas Tech who beat Texas who beat Oklahoma so if Utah beats Alabama by more points than Florida did, I think you can make the case that they deserve the National Championship. Florida and Oklahoma should be playing for second.

honz
01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
Florida lost to Ole Miss who also beat Texas Tech who beat Texas who beat Oklahoma so if Utah beats Alabama by more points than Florida did, I think you can make the case that they deserve the National Championship. Florida and Oklahoma should be playing for second.
If we aren't at least AP co-champs it will be a grave injustice. Florida beat these guys by 11 and we beat em by 14. We also beat Oregon St., Michigan (even though they suck), TCU, BYU, and now Alabama. And it's not like we beat Bama with trick plays. We flat out beat them at the line of scrimmage on D and beat them with execution on offense.

Big time win for Utah, the MWC, and mid-majors everywhere. The Utes are not a fluke...2 BCS wins in 4 years and we proved that we can beat a real BCS team in Alabama (sorry Pitt).

Requiem / The Dagda
01-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Congrats to Honz and the Utes!

SM19
As far as I'm concerned, Utah is this year's national champion. No loss, and probably a better win tonight than any of the other BCS teams can claim. Can there be any doubt that they'd have been voted #1 under the old pre-BCS system?

Skinny
I was really suprised and impressed with Utah's speed. Overall. If you can play fast as a team, you can play with anybody in the country. It's cliche', but it is what it is, speed is such a huge aspect of the college game today.

Don't get to see them much on the east coast. Too bad, their alot of fun to watch.

studbucket
01-03-2009, 12:08 AM
You know, I love watching Saban lose, that was fantastic.

honz
01-03-2009, 12:32 AM
I wonder if Saban still feels like they were the only team from a real conference to go 12-0. LMFAO.

studbucket
01-03-2009, 12:37 AM
I wonder if Saban still feels like they were the only team from a real conference to go 12-0. LMFAO.

LOL, I wanted to throw out sarcastic comments about 'SEC Defense' or 'SEC Speed', but there are some real football fans that like the SEC here (Smilin is one I can think of), and I know they aren't throwing out crap like that.

Seriously though, they weren't just outplayed and outcoached, they matched up athlete for athlete in my opinion. Even when JPW had time to throw the ball, the Utah corners did a great job man on man.

honz
01-03-2009, 12:51 AM
P.S. I think your son and the crew did a good job, Carol. They missed a few calls I thought, but they didn't make any blatantly bad calls. Probably just about as good as a game can realistically be called.

Broncolingus
01-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Way to go, Utah!

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/340/200052340.jpg

"What's a 'ute?'

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/images/MyCousinVinny3d.JPG

ktrain
01-03-2009, 10:09 AM
P.S. I think your son and the crew did good job, Carol. They missed a few calls I thought, but they didn't make any blatantly bad calls. Probably just about as good as a game can realistically be called.

no disrespect to Carol, but I thought they did a questionable job

1. They totally missed a blatant block in the back on the Bama TD punt return, it was obvious and allowed him to get out of the starting blocks

2. First of the two long PI calls against Utah was very questionable (the other was a good call however)

3. Made the wrong ruling, when the Utah offensive line reset on fourth down and Alabama jumped offsides

4. The holding call on Utah in the fourth quarter was a fantom call IMO

5. I disagree with the interference to a punt catch call on Utah in the fourth quarter - he barely touched the returner, it was after he fair caught the punt, and he was blocked into the general area, and did his best to avoid the returner

This is typical of the subtle biased officiating non-BCS teams face when playing BCS schools. Usually it is not blatant, but rather a phantom holding call here, a missed call there, etc.... Let's face it, the BCS conferences can't stand losing to non-BCS conferences anf their crew's whether intentional or not, mirror this sentiment.

ktrain
01-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Florida beat undefeated Alabama by 11. If Utah wins by that much or more and Florida beats Oklahoma, I think Utah ought to be National Champions.

I agree, but it will never happen. we need a playoff the following teams all have a legitimate claim for number one:

Utah
USC
Texas if they win the Fiesta
Winner of Florida and OU

I know a lot of people like to discount USC, but they too only lost 1 game, and the pac 10 has played pretty darn well in bowl games.

Utah has a stronger SOS than Alabama, and they are very high in the computer rankings

Texas only loss was to a texas tech on the last play of the game

The other two are obvious

WE NEED AN EIGHT TEAM PLAYOFF this year it would have been:

USC
Utah
Boise
OU
Penn St
Florida
Va Tech
Cinncinati

I would take the 6 conference champions plus two at large bids along with a requirement that any undefeated teams from non BCS conferences be included. if there are more than 2 undefeated non BCS teams, they pick the two with the highest BCS ratings

Note that Texas still gets hosed under this scenario

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2009, 10:25 AM

1. They totally missed a blatant block in the back on the Bama TD punt return, it was obvious and allowed him to get out of the starting blocks

2. First of the two long PI calls against Utah was very questionable (the other was a good call however)

3. Made the wrong ruling, when the Utah offensive line reset on fourth down and Alabama jumped offsides

5. I disagree with the interference to a punt catch call on Utah in the fourth quarter - he barely touched the returner, it was after he fair caught the punt, and he was blocked into the general area, and did his best to avoid the returner

This is typical of the subtle biased officiating non-BCS teams face when playing BCS schools. Usually it is not blatant, but rather a phantom holding call here, a missed call there, etc.... Let's face it, the BCS conferences can't stand losing to non-BCS conferences anf their crew's whether intentional or not, mirror this sentiment.

Obviously, I can't speak for each crew member there last night, but I can speak for my son. His mind set, when calling a game, is that he is totally oblivious to who is even playing.

ktrain
01-03-2009, 10:32 AM

Honz, I saw the interview with that JackAzz on Espin last night. He did give props to Utah on several occasions, but then proceeded to contradict himself with a laundry list of EXCUSES about injuries and how his team was not prepared well enough, etc.......

You could really see the arrogance when he refused to answer where Utah should be ranked and just rattled off more excuses and how proud he was of his team. You could almost tell what he was really thinking:

.....Utah is pretty good for a MWC team, but if we were focused and at full strength we would have killed those guys.

What an arrogant *****, fits well with the arrogant Bama and SEC fan base

ktrain
01-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Obviously, I can't speak for each crew member there last night, but I can speak for my son. His mind set, when calling a game, is that he is totally oblivious to who is even playing.

I am sure you are correct about your son and that your son is representative of most officials. We have to remember that officiating is a very difficult job that is a lot harder to do on the field than sitting in front of a television screen. I don't think the non-BCS bias comes from overt malice, as much as a preconception that non-BCS teams are inferior to BCS schools. I think there are officials that let their preconceptions affect calls, whether it be conscience or not.

that said, I am NOT saying your son was biased in anyway

NightTrainLayne
01-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I agree, but it will never happen. we need a playoff the following teams all have a legitimate claim for number one:

Utah
USC
Winner of Florida and OU

I know a lot of people like to discount USC, but they too only lost 1 game, and the pac 10 has played pretty darn well in bowl games.

Utah has a stronger SOS than Alabama, and they are very high in the computer rankings

USC
Utah
Boise
OU
Penn St
Florida
Va Tech
Cinncinati

I would take the 6 conference champions plus two at large bids along with a requirement that any undefeated teams from non BCS conferences be included. if there are more than 2 undefeated non BCS teams, they pick the two with the highest BCS ratings

Texas' loss to Texas Tech is proving to be the "worst" loss out of all the teams listed above who have a loss.

TT has now lost two big games to teams with double-digit margins. Texas is out of the conversation imo.

studbucket
01-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Texas' loss to Texas Tech is proving to be the "worst" loss out of all the teams listed above who have a loss.

TT has now lost two big games to teams with double-digit margins. Texas is out of the conversation imo.

You consider it worse than the USC loss to Oregon State? Personally, I think TT beats Oregon State in a head-to-head game.

honz
01-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Like I said, I thought they missed a few calls, but all those that you listed were pretty borderline calls. I'm sure the Utes got away with a few holds, illegal blocks, etc. There are missed calls in every game simply due to the spped of the game, but I thought the officials were fine last night.

honz
01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Honz, I saw the interview with that JackAzz on Espin last night. He did give props to Utah on several occasions, but then proceeded to contradict himself with a laundry list of EXCUSES about injuries and how his team was not prepared well enough, etc.......

You could really see the arrogance when he refused to answer where Utah should be ranked and just rattled off more excuses and how proud he was of his team. You could almost tell what he was really thinking:

.....Utah is pretty good for a MWC team, but if we were focused and at full strength we would have killed those guys.

What an arrogant *****, fits well with the arrogant Bama and SEC fan base
Yep, and it looks like his arrogance rubs off on his players as well as they were just as ungracious and uncomplimentary of the Utes as Saban was. If you can't get your team up to play in a BCS bowl against an undefeated and 6th ranked opponent, then you have some serious problems...I'm not buying it. We beat those guys from beginning to end.

We were missing one of our starting LBs for the first time all season, but our guy stepped in and made some plays. Besides, Saban, you are from a "real BCS conference". Shouldn't your talent level be so much higher than ours that you can stick in subs that our better than our starters? You can't have it both way, chump.

OrangeHoof
01-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Utah
USC
Winner of Florida and OU

USC
Utah
Boise
OU
Penn St
Florida
Va Tech
Cinncinati

I've advocated an eight-team playoff of conference champs with NO wild cards but no automatic bids either. The eight teams are seeded by the final BCS standings and the first round is played at the higher seed's choice of sites.

Texas (and Alabama) still get hosed in this scenario but you have to win your conference to gain entrance - no excuses. This year, it would have been:

#8 Virginia Tech (19) at #1 Oklahoma (1)
#7 Cincinnati (12) at #2 Florida (2)
#6 Boise St. (9) at #3 USC (5)
#5 Penn St. (8) at #4 Utah (6)

The games would be played in mid-December with the semi-finals being two of the major bowls played on New Years Day (say, Orange and Fiesta) then the championship game would be played two weeks later at a pre-determined neutral site.

The beauty of this is that two of the non-BCS conferences are already going to be represented and possibly more. If, say, Ball St. had stayed undefeated, they would have probably been ranked higher than Virginia Tech and then the MAC would be in the playoffs, not the ACC. There's also a provision for Notre Dame or Navy if they ever crack the BCS rankings again, they will be treated as a conference unto themselves.

This system rewards you, first and foremost, for winning your conference and it means every conference game counts so it makes the whole season add extra importance. Secondly, it can help teams schedule harder non-conference opponents because the only thing a non-conference loss hurts is your BCS ranking, not your path to the playoffs.

One of the things I don't like about the NCAA basketball tournament is that it makes the rest of the season meaningless for the glamour conferences. If you're halfway good, you get to the field of 64 so you can be a .500 ACC team and tank your conference tourney and still get into the field. With my football system, you are only getting in if you win your conference, thus making every conference game like a playoff game.

ktrain
01-03-2009, 03:50 PM
I've advocated an eight-team playoff of conference champs with NO wild cards but no automatic bids either. The eight teams are seeded by the final BCS standings and the first round is played at the higher seed's choice of sites.

Texas (and Alabama) still get hosed in this scenario but you have to win your conference to gain entrance - no excuses. This year, it would have been:

#8 Virginia Tech (19) at #1 Oklahoma (1)
#7 Cincinnati (12) at #2 Florida (2)
#6 Boise St. (9) at #3 USC (5)
#5 Penn St. (8) at #4 Utah (6)

The games would be played in mid-December with the semi-finals being two of the major bowls played on New Years Day (say, Orange and Fiesta) then the championship game would be played two weeks later at a pre-determined neutral site.

The beauty of this is that two of the non-BCS conferences are already going to be represented and possibly more. If, say, Ball St. had stayed undefeated, they would have probably been ranked higher than Virginia Tech and then the MAC would be in the playoffs, not the ACC. There's also a provision for Notre Dame or Navy if they ever crack the BCS rankings again, they will be treated as a conference unto themselves.

This system rewards you, first and foremost, for winning your conference and it means every conference game counts so it makes the whole season add extra importance. Secondly, it can help teams schedule harder non-conference opponents because the only thing a non-conference loss hurts is your BCS ranking, not your path to the playoffs.

One of the things I don't like about the NCAA basketball tournament is that it makes the rest of the season meaningless for the glamour conferences. If you're halfway good, you get to the field of 64 so you can be a .500 ACC team and tank your conference tourney and still get into the field. With my football system, you are only getting in if you win your conference, thus making every conference game like a playoff game.

I like your proposed system too. Either way, there should be a playoff. I don't buy the argument that it waters down the regular season. You need to have a stellar regular season just to be in the playoffs, with only 8 of 120 teams making it, the regular season is still pretty meaningful. In fact, it makes the regular season EVEN MORE meaningful for teamsd like Utah, Boise and TCU, as now their regular season could lead to a chance at the Nat'l championship

Broncolingus
01-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Anyone not already figure out I was pulling for Buffalo today?

broncophan
01-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Go bucks tonight!!!!!

SM19
01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Texas!

Fight!

Broncolingus
01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Hook 'em Horns!

Nomad
01-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Go bucks tonight!!!!!

Like i said before in an earlier post, I hope the Buckeyes win! I believe Texass is too much for them but you never know. Ask the Utes!!

eessydo
01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Go gators!

eessydo
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I hope the buckeyes lose badly. I am quite sick of all the jabber from their fans about how awesome they are and how the Big10 is so powerful and mighty.

Same with those PAC10'ers.

Only team that can compete in any of the two super power conferences (SEC and Big 12) is USC and that is because the are a recruiting monopoly out west. Put USC in a southern state in the SEC and they would have to scrap for talent like the rest of the teams.

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I hope the buckeyes lose badly. I am quite sick of all the jabber from their fans about how awesome they are and how the Big10 is so powerful and mighty.

Really?

After the last three seasons (this one included), most of the Big Ten people I've run across kind of keep quiet.

Nomad
01-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Really?

After the last three seasons (this one included), most of the Big Ten people I've run across kind of keep quiet.

I'm no Big 10 fan ,but I would love to see Texass lose so their fans would shut up as well.

Broncospsycho77
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Man I hate Mack Brown. But I also really hate Ohio State. I might just skip this one out.

MOtorboat
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm no Big 10 fan ,but I would love to see Texass lose so their fans would shut up as well.

I was thumping my chest all year about the Big 12, and then Ole Miss has to go and blow up Texas Tech. :tsk:

Defense > Offense. Always.

honz
01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Only team that can compete in any of the two super power conferences (SEC and Big 12) is USC and that is because the are a recruiting monopoly out west.

Maybe those 2 conferences aren't so high and mighty either. Take a look at my sig...just saying. :D

Nomad
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I was thumping my chest all year about the Big 12, and then Ole Miss has to go and blow up Texas Tech. :tsk:

Defense > Offense. Always.

This is not new news, though it wasn't true in the TT/UT game!

Which team are you referring to that has the better defense? I would say the Longhorns are better on both sides of the ball compared to OSU!

honz
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
This article probably deserves its own thread, but I figured more people would see it in here. It points out several flaws in the BCS system.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-utah010509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Why didn’t Utah merit consideration to play for the BCS national title?

Why are the Utes, despite their 13-0 record, victories over four Associated Press top-25 teams and the champions of a conference that went 6-1 in the regular season against the Pac-10, watching one-loss teams Oklahoma and Florida play on Thursday?

Just ask some of the voters in the Harris Interactive Poll, which helps determine the title-game matchup.

“I did not see them play (in the regular season),” Bobby Aillet said.

“I didn’t see any live games,” Lance McIlhenny said. “I just (saw) highlights.”

“I don’t recall if I saw them play specifically during the regular season,” David Housel said. “I don’t remember a specific game.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Alliet, McIlhenny and Housel aren’t alone. It turns out there were a number of Harris Poll (and presumably coaches’ poll) voters who never saw Utah play this season. At least until the Utes manhandled Alabama in a way that Florida could only dream.

That 31-17 victory in the Sugar Bowl didn’t just cap the program’s second perfect season in four years, it left people wondering why Utah wasn’t at least in the conversation for the title game.

How did a team this good wind up a lowly sixth in the final BCS standings?

The answer speaks to the illogical way college football crowns its champion, a system where perception, reputation and media hype can mean more than touchdowns and tackles.

Utah could do the latter as well as anyone. It was non-competitive in the former – suffering from tired stereotypes, a lack of television exposure and the mind-numbing power of group think.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even by the absurd standards of the BCS, having voters not bother to watch an undefeated team play a single game is a new low.

Whether Utah deserved to be ranked No. 1, 2 or 25 isn’t the point of this argument. The Utes deserved to have voters at least see them.

The coaches and Harris polls make up two-thirds of the BCS rankings. The average of six computer formulas is the other third.

Frustration with the BCS is often pointed at those faceless “computers.” It’s the human opinion polls, however, that are most subject to bias, laziness or disinterest.

The computers can’t help but plug in Utah’s info. One of them even had the Utes ranked No. 2.

The 61 voters in the coaches’ poll and 114 in the Harris weren’t as kind. They often voted on what they thought Utah might be, not what they saw Utah actually was. In a testament to copy-cat voting, almost everyone had the Utes between No. 7 and No. 10 in the polls.

Then many tuned in Friday for what they admit was the very first time and saw reality wasn’t perception after all. This wasn’t some lucky mid-major team; the Utes were big, strong, fast and talented.

“I wouldn’t say I probably was wrong. I was wrong,” said Housel, a former Auburn athletic director who had the Utes ranked 10th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Utah’s championship hopes for this season were dashed on July 1, 1978.

That day the Pacific-8 Conference expanded. Rather than take Brigham Young and Utah, it went one state south and added Arizona and Arizona State.

It cemented the opinion in the media – and thus the public and thus the coaches and Harris poll voters – that the only big-time sports league out west is the Pac-10. If you’re in it, you matter. If not, you might be a cute story, but you don’t.

It’s the never-ending asterisk; one that Utah and the Mountain West Conference can’t seem to shake no matter how many perfect seasons, No. 1 draft choices or NFL MVPs it produces.

It manifests itself not just in a skeptical eye of voters 30 years later, but in television contracts and media exposure.

Utah played just one game on ESPN this season – a September victory at Michigan. It (and the rest of the leagues’) other games were carried on Versus and the league-owned Mountain West Sports Network, which reaches less than three million homes. Nationally, you needed a satellite system to watch the Utes.

“I think you can find Utah if you want to find it,” Craig Thompson, the Mountain West commissioner, said.

You can. And you’d think the BCS would require voters to do so. Naturally, it doesn’t.

Instead, the BCS spreads the vote out to so many people while asking little in return. (One voter, broadcaster Don Criqui, didn’t even bother to cast a final ballot.)

The BCS has no set rationale for how or why a school should be ranked – is it record, strength of schedule, whom it beat, whom it lost to, how it won, how it lost? The decision is up to each voter.

The Harris voters are selected by conference offices. Most are media, former players or administrators. They are well-meaning but hold regular jobs and have their own busy schedules. This is a secondary (at best) thing and watching all the games is a challenge.

“I don’t think I’m the only one that has that problem,” said Aillet, a retired SEC referee, who had Utah ranked ninth and said he might give up his vote next season. “I suspect most of the folks have that same problem.

“It takes a lot of time to get it right, and sometimes I wonder if I’m doing it right.”

Meanwhile, college coaches are admittedly biased and have little time to scout any team not on their schedule.

In contrast, the 10-member NCAA men’s basketball selection committee meets throughout the season to compare notes and stay on top of hot teams. It demands comprehensive scouting, sets common criteria and even asks committee members to get out and see teams in person. Then they all meet and hash it out.

While not devoid of controversy, the system is about as good as you can design.

The BCS might be the worst.

Thompson could only shrug off the frustration. He believes a 12-0 team from a league such as his will one day play in the BCS title game. This was a step toward gaining long-term credibility with voters and opinion makers.

“Even if we were on national television it’d still be a fight because we don’t have that history,” Thompson said.

The Mountain West had three teams ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS poll (the ACC and Big East each had one). It scored a number of notable out-of-conference victories, including strong success against the Pac-10. Yet reputations die hard.

“I just thought that the Mountain West is not as tough a conference (as others),” McIlhenny, a former SMU player, said. “Apparently I was wrong.”

Thompson knows that if a team went 12-0 in one of the six BCS automatic qualifying conferences, even ones that ranked lower than the MWC, they’d have gotten in without debate.

“Sooner or later they’ve got to take notice,” he said. “You can’t say the Pac-10 was stronger than the Mountain West. The Pac-10 went 5-0 in bowl games, but head-to-head (in the regular season) we went 6-1.

“If they start drilling down on it there’s nothing to say.”

Sure, if you think BCS voters bother to drill down.

The Mountain West doesn’t just suffer from a lack of game coverage on national television. It suffers for the lack of overall attention. ESPN, the 800-pound gorilla of college football hype, is notorious for promoting the games and teams that it broadcasts. This year that meant lots of Big 12 talk.

“There’s definitely some self-serving there,” Thompson said.

Utah didn’t receive the same attention. Even after the Alabama win, part of the debate on Sunday’s “Sports Reporters” (the ultimate barometer of East Coast media thinking) was how Utah simply couldn’t be that good because, well, because it’s Utah.

“They don’t play in a good conference,” Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe claimed.

In the BCS chase, media is everything since the voters admit to taking their cues from highlight shows and articles.

The networks aren’t above playing favorites. Back in 2006, the CBS broadcast crew for the SEC championship game campaigned relentlessly on the air for Florida to be selected over Michigan.

Color commentator Gary Danielson later said CBS only did it because ESPN was doing the same for Michigan and the Big Ten.

If the Utes had a broadcaster campaigning for them this year it wouldn’t have mattered.

The BCS voters didn’t trouble themselves to watch anyway.

aberdien
01-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Alabama was overrated anyways.

Nomad
01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks to Iowa or the Big 10 would have gone 0-6 in bowl games! Looks like the Pac 10 has the Bowl Cup, 5-0!

Broncospsycho77
01-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Good game, glad I tuned in for the second half.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 01:34 AM
WTF was OSU doing playing up so close on that last TD?

SM19
01-06-2009, 02:13 AM
Well, my hat's off to Ohio State. They played us a hell of a lot tougher than I thought they would.

OrangeHoof
01-06-2009, 03:55 AM
Even as a Texas alum, I'd still say Utah should be #1. My reason is this. You're either in the FBS (formerly Division I) or you are not. If you are and you are the only team left standing undefeated and untied at the end of the season, you should be #1 or they should set up a second tier for conferences like the MWC, MAC, C-USA, to play for their own national title.

By confering on Utah full FBS status, they are giving them the full right to play for the title as long as they've met all the qualifications. By telling them "we'll give you the Sugar Bowl but that's as close as you're getting" is essentially a snub. I felt even worse for Boise State who was also undefeated and should have been playing tonight instead of a lower-ranked two-loss (now three) Ohio State squad.

Utah's national championship hopes remind me of when I grew up and black women were encouraged to enter the Miss America pagaent but they knew the judges would never let them win. Why compete if you aren't given a fair chance?

For those who complain about strength of schedule, that shouldn't matter if they went undefeated and played a schedule full of FBS schools, unless you want to argue that some conferences are inferior to others in which case they shouldn't be FBS in the first place.

Tonight showed me Texas shouldn't be #1 but it hasn't shaken me from believing Utah should be.

broncophan
01-06-2009, 05:35 AM
well.....congrats to Texas and their fans.....great game.........and their hurry-up offense killed Ohio St. in the 3rd qtr...........

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I think Utah was fortunate that Saban completely mixed up his line when the LT didn't play, but the Utes still got the job done. I think USC, Florida and Oklahoma would paste em, but they did schedule some quality teams and stil ran the table. Not Utah's fault Michigan sucked when the schedule was prolly made close to a decdae ago. They deserve a split...doubt it'll happen.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I've been worried for the last month that this long break before the National Championship would stymie OU's high-powered offense.

Watching UT last night reinforced that notion. This long break (I feel) hurts pass-happy offenses who lose some of their touch, and have some rust accumulate over that time.

In the first half UT definitely looked rusty, and throughout the game McCoy made some really uncharacteristic mistakes. From the interception right before half to the fumble while scrambling in the 4th quarter, to several passes that were way off the mark.

I'm afraid that if OU gets off to a similar slow start that they'll find themselves in a hole against Florida's admitedly stronger defense.

Nomad
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
With Stoops track record, I won't be surprised to see OU lose. I'm on the fence because Florida needs to win because of my SEC roots (though I was glad to see Bama get throttled by the Utes), but OU needs to win because then we'll never hear the end of the Texass fans whine (which they barely got by the Buckeyes last night)

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
With Stoops track record, I won't be surprised to see OU lose. I'm on the fence because Florida needs to win because of my SEC roots (though I was glad to see Bama get throttled by the Utes), but OU needs to win because then we'll never hear the end of the Texass fans whine (which they barely got by the Buckeyes last night)

Texas probably lost any standing after last night's last minute win. .. whether or not Mack Brown is going to vote them #1 :sheesh:.

OU's recent bowl history, and dumbass corner-backs saying that Tebow would only be the third-best QB in the Big 12 make me really anxious about this game.

Even as an OU fan I was happy to see UT pull it out just to make sure the Big 12 didn't go winless in the bowls.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Be careful saying that. I got bashed the past 2 years for saying Ohio State's extra 2 weeks off could have any effect on their play in January.

There is a lso a belief that the cold weather has an effect on passing Big Ten teams. Take Penn State fotr example. Pass happy for 6-8 weeks. The weather turns and they have to keep the ball on the ground more. A windy day comes along in Iowa and they're done. Granted, a truly great team should be able to excel at all phases, but to completely change a team's philosophy will have an effect.

Now the argument will be made that they played USC in warm weather, but they also haven't run their preferred offense in about 10 weeks. That has to have an effect. Now I personally believe that USC is better than PSU and would have won regardless, but I also believe that the Big 10 teams are hurt by the weather changes and early end to the season.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Be careful saying that. I got bashed the past 2 years for saying Ohio State's extra 2 weeks off could have any effect on their play in January.

There is a lso a belief that the cold weather has an effect on passing Big Ten teams. Take Penn State fotr example. Pass happy for 6-8 weeks. The weather turns and they have to keep the ball on the ground more. A windy day comes along in Iowa and they're done. Granted, a truly great team should be able to excel at all phases, but to completely change a team's philosophy will have an effect.

Now the argument will be made that they played USC in warm weather, but they also haven't run their preferred offense in about 10 weeks. That has to have an effect. Now I personally believe that USC is better than PSU and would have won regardless, but I also believe that the Big 10 teams are hurt by the weather changes and early end to the season.

I guess there's no way to know exactly, but you could definitely see the rust in most all of McCoy's passes during the first half. He was just "off".

No matter, all that matters is who wins and loses. I'm just afraid that OU is going to lose a game that they might have had a better chance of winning a month ago.

That being said, Florida has to wait a month too, and it will affect them as well. Just looking at the two teams it would seem to me that it has the potential to affect OU more than Florida.

OU just has to overcome it and prove me wrong.

Nomad
01-06-2009, 10:29 AM

:ohwell: Then the Big 10 needs to have a championship game in Dec or stay home in Jan!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 10:59 AM
why? so the greedy can be satisfied? You don't actually believe the conference title games are to determine a champ do ya? It's all about the benjamins.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Maybe the bowl games should go back to January 1st instead of spreading them aout for an extra week.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Maybe the bowl games should go back to January 1st instead of spreading them aout for an extra week.

Call me crazy, but maybe we should have a playoff system. :elefant:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Although I'm a huge SEC fan, the conference I have the most respect for is the Big 12. The Big 10 is a smashmouth league when it gets cold, but doesn't seem to run well w/ the southern teams. The southern teams play in the heat and seem to have the most talent, but won't come north late in the year. Granted, they don't have to, but they are still too "w"ussy to.

The Big 12 plays in the blazing heat in September and in the blistering cold in November/December. Those dude have to deal w/ it all throughout the year...and I give em their props for it.

Nomad
01-06-2009, 11:11 AM
why? so the greedy can be satisfied? You don't actually believe the conference title games are to determine a champ do ya? It's all about the benjamins.

I agree! But if that's their excuse then it's lame! A great football has no excuses. OSU could be last in the Big 10 but they'll find a way to a bowl game because they do bring the revenue and fans!

You're right NTL! Playoffs are the only answer!

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Although I'm a huge SEC fan, the conference I have the most respect for is the Big 12. The Big 10 is a smashmouth league when it gets cold, but doesn't seem to run well w/ the southern teams. The southern teams play in the heat and seem to have the most talent, but won't come north late in the year. Granted, they don't have to, but they are still too "w"ussy to.

The Big 12 plays in the blazing heat in September and in the blistering cold in November/December. Those dude have to deal w/ it all throughout the year...and I give em their props for it.

:salute:

Bief is going to have a field-day with this though. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Call me crazy, but maybe we should have a playoff system. :elefant:

quoted for truth
I'd love to have 16 teams seeded and some teams up here hosting December games vs Pac 10 or SEC squads.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I agree! But if that's their excuse then it's lame! A great football has no excuses. OSU could be last in the Big 10 but they'll find a way to a bowl game because they do bring the revenue and fans!

You're right NTL! Playoffs are the only answer!

Why is an "excuse" even needed? A couple of other conferences saw the $$$ signs and ran with it. Pac 10 does run the season later, but the Big 10 sticks to their traditions. Why does it have to be an excuse. It's just the way they do it.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
:salute:

Bief is going to have a field-day with this though. :D

I know. It's an annual thing at this point. I know the SEC is better than the big 10. I'd just like to see some of their teams sac up and see what it's like to play in 15 degree cold.

Nomad
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
If the Big 10 and Pac 10 want to stick to tradition then it's them. The college system has changed with the majority of 'BCS' conferences and it leaves those two conferences hanging because they want to stick with 'tradition' and have a long lay-off, so no whining!!

Why keep repeating the money issue, we all know that! The only excuse which is lame is blaming the weather. College football is done by the time the weather actually gets cold, unless you have a playoffs to where southern teams have to go north or play in Minn or North Dakota and I'm all for teams playing in all the elements. Playing HS ball in SW La, we didn't know what it was like to play a game with temps below 60 degrees with high humidity (most times it was in the 70s) on a Friday night. My sons now play in North Dakota where on a Sat morning it could be 20 degrees with a 10 degree wind chill and would love to play in La!

It's all in one's opinion! I see your point but nothing will change unless there is a playoffs or these conferences break tradition!

honz
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I think Utah was fortunate that Saban completely mixed up his line when the LT didn't play, but the Utes still got the job done. I think USC, Florida and Oklahoma would paste em, but they did schedule some quality teams and stil ran the table. Not Utah's fault Michigan sucked when the schedule was prolly made close to a decdae ago. They deserve a split...doubt it'll happen.
We were actually scheduled to play Texas this year, but Urban Meyer took it off our schedule before he left...it would have interesting to see how things worked out if we would have been able to beat them. (Not that it is a sure thing at all that we'd have beaten them)

Still though, we had a tougher strength of schedule than Alabama. We beat 4 teams in the top 25 of the end of season rankings, including TCU and Alabama who will both likely be in the ranked in the top 10 in the final rankings. If we were in the Pac 10 (a conference that the MWC went 5-1 against this year) we would be playing this Thursday for the NC. The fact that many of the voters in the polls hadn't even seen Utah play until the Sugar Bowl is proof positive that this current system is not about crowning the best team as the champion. It's still all about the money.

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
We were actually scheduled to play Texas this year, but Urban Meyer took it off our schedule before he left...it would have interesting to see how things worked out if we would have been able to beat them. (Not that it is a sure thing at all that we'd have beaten them)

Still though, we had a tougher strength of schedule than Alabama. We beat 4 teams in the top 25 of the end of season rankings, including TCU and Alabama who will both likely be in the ranked in the top 10 in the final rankings. If we were in the Pac 10 (a conference that the MWC went 5-1 against this year) we would be playing this Thursday for the NC. The fact that many of the voters in the polls hadn't even seen Utah play until the Sugar Bowl is proof positive that this current system is not about crowning the best team as the champion. It's still all about the money.

I'm not even sure that it's so much about money, as about HOW that money is distributed.

Create a playoff that the schools might even rake in more, but it would be distributed differently.

There's a great amount of inertia from the folks that won't have their bearings greased by the bowl system as the money passes by them.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-06-2009, 09:31 PM
If the Big 10 and Pac 10 want to stick to tradition then it's them. The college system has changed with the majority of 'BCS' conferences and it leaves those two conferences hanging because they want to stick with 'tradition' and have a long lay-off, so no whining!!

Why keep repeating the money issue, we all know that! The only excuse which is lame is blaming the weather. College football is done by the time the weather actually gets cold, unless you have a playoffs to where southern teams have to go north or play in Minn or North Dakota and I'm all for teams playing in all the elements. Playing HS ball in SW La, we didn't know what it was like to play a game with temps below 60 degrees with high humidity (most times it was in the 70s) on a Friday night. My sons now play in North Dakota where on a Sat morning it could be 20 degrees with a 10 degree wind chill and would love to play in La!

It's all in one's opinion! I see your point but nothing will change unless there is a playoffs or these conferences break tradition!

Umm...no. Have you ever seen the Big12 championship game in Kansas City? It does snow in November in Big 10 country. My kids wore winter coats to go Trick or Treating this year.

And feel free to actualy read my posts. No blaming..I said SEC is better. They'd earn more credibility in my eyes if they traveled up north. I'm alsosure they don't care about my opinion...but I am still allowed to haveone. Mad props to Auburn for playing at WVU in October this year. Not exactly freezing cold, but an October night game in Morgantown is far different from September in the deep south.

Nomad
01-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Umm...no. Have you ever seen the Big12 championship game in Kansas City? It does snow in November in Big 10 country. My kids wore winter coats to go Trick or Treating this year.

And feel free to actualy read my posts. No blaming..I said SEC is better. They'd earn more credibility in my eyes if they traveled up north. I'm alsosure they don't care about my opinion...but I am still allowed to haveone. Mad props to Auburn for playing at WVU in October this year. Not exactly freezing cold, but an October night game in Morgantown is far different from September in the deep south.

Why are you getting your blood pressure up?:lol: To compare my kids wear snow suits most Halloweens here in NODAK walking in snow and usually in the teens:coffee: and I consider cold below 25 degrees! And you talk traditions, most rivalries are played at the end of the year (late Nov) and most conferences are playing their conference schedule at this time as well so when is an SEC team going to schedule a so-called cold weather game and it's not cold in Oct/early Nov:whoknows:. I've read your posts and see the excuse of so-called cold weather is lame and yes that's my opinion as well! I don't know where you got I am trying to prove the SEC better and yes for the most part most schools have played their schedule before it gets cold in Dec, maybe they can extend the season so southern schools can play up north!! Actually I find the cold rain up in Wa State more miserable and bone chilling than 20 degrees and snowing! Oh well, I'm done!

OB
01-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Go TU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Go TU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

Um, wrong thread and wrong sport, but nice try.

OB
01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Um, wrong thread and wrong sport, but nice try.

Tulsa v Ball State???????????

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Tulsa v Ball State???????????

Wrong thread.

But nice try.

OB
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Wrong thread.

But nice try.

Its a bowl game

thought u said wrong sport smartass

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Its a bowl game

thought u said wrong sport smartass

"BCS Bowl Games"

Wrong thread.

I thought you were cheering Texas basketball, but then it became apparent that you can't read.

OB
01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
"BCS Bowl Games"

Wrong thread.

I thought you were cheering Texas basketball, but then it became apparent that you can't read.

Apparently u are an anal ***** that thinks he knows everything

I didnt see a NON BCS Bowl thread and Ball State is ranked 22 ( i assume by the BCS) sooooo....................i dont think im THAT off by posting in here - so jump off your high pony and bite me u wanna be beard grower

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Apparently u are an anal ***** that thinks he knows everything

I didnt see a NON BCS Bowl thread and Ball State is ranked 22 ( i assume by the BCS) sooooo....................i dont think im THAT off by posting in here - so jump off your high pony and bite me u wanna be beard grower

Blind too?

Seventh thread down. :tsk:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29253

OB
01-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Blind too?

Seventh thread down. :tsk:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29253

Do you have problem growing hair on your balls too :coffee:

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Do you have problem growing hair on your balls too :coffee:

No...it's a veritable forest down there.

Next.

OB
01-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Explain why this is not a BCS Bowl game

MOtorboat
01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Explain why this is not a BCS Bowl game

Because its NOT part of the BCS.

Wow, that was hard to understand.

OB
01-06-2009, 11:21 PM
n/m - i see - fiesta - sugar - rose - orange - championship

but i think that i could prolly find a post or two in here about games other than those - if i cared :coffee:

OB
01-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Man, i didnt catch much of the Bowl Games today but that boy Hicks from UNC was unbelievable. WOW

Totally agree...

On the non-BCS front...didn't see OSU losing last night damnit...

CSUs win made me happy and still carrying over from that though...

...oh, and Texas should be playing Florida.

I've got my purple and gold on but I have a bad feeling about this GT/LSU game.

hmmm and that was page one

nice try midge

NightTrainLayne
01-07-2009, 10:35 AM
hmmm and that was page one

nice try midge

Lot's of others can't read or understand either. .. you just happen to be the veritable "straw that broke the camels back." :D

OB
01-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Lot's of others can't read or understand either. .. you just happen to be the veritable "straw that broke the camels back." :D

Well he tried to make it look as though i was a complete and total dumbass for posting about a bowl game in here - first he tells me wrong SPORT wrong thread - back peddles and tells me wrong thread - then leaves when i pwned him :D

NightTrainLayne
01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
OU News:

Austin Box MLB won't start for the Sooners tomorrow. He took over at MLB after the Texas game in which Ryan Reynolds got hurt. A JC transfer who's never started for the Sooners will start named Baluga (sp?).

Sooners will be missing DeMarco Murray (2nd or 3rd in all-purpose yardage), Demarcus Granger (D-line stalwart), and will now be down to a 3rd-string MLB on an already "average" defense.

Throw in the Heisman jinx and I feel that Stoops is going to have to coach his ass off to win against Florida in Miami.

studbucket
01-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Also OU news: Bradford is going pro.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/sources-bradford-to-turn-pro/

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Your stock can't get any higher than his is now...so probably the right decision. I'll wait until I hear him say it, though.

NightTrainLayne
01-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Conjecture.

They've been talking about it non-stop here for weeks and the consensus among virtually everyone here is that only Bradford knows what he's going to do and it will depend on his draft position.

If he KNOWS that he'll go in the top 5 I think he'll go (who wouldn't?). But past a top-5 spot then most of the "experts" here think that he'll stay. I'm not sure that he'll be a top-5 guy.

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Conjecture.

They've been talking about it non-stop here for weeks and the consensus among virtually everyone here is that only Bradford knows what he's going to do and it will depend on his draft position.

If he KNOWS that he'll go in the top 5 I think he'll go (who wouldn't?). But past a top-5 spot then most of the "experts" here think that he'll stay. I'm not sure that he'll be a top-5 guy.

Bradford really should probably go, but if he likes it there, then who knows. I don't think he's hurting for money, (I mean OU probably pays him well :D) so that's probably not a problem.

NightTrainLayne
01-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Bradford really should probably go, but if he likes it there, then who knows. I don't think he's hurting for money, (I mean OU probably pays him well :D) so that's probably not a problem.

Low blow. :tsk: I hope they're paying him better than Bomar! :D

He's been all OU for his entire life. His Dad played for OU. He grew up here. And from all accounts he loves his spot (ala Leinert), and isn't a super-materialistic type guy. Plus his family is already comfortable. . .not rich, but not hurting either.

He doesn't have ANY pressure to go, so unless he's right at the top he can afford to wait another year. ..especially if they don't win it all tomorrow, and he has that as a goal.

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Low blow. :tsk: I hope they're paying him better than Bomar! :D

He's been all OU for his entire life. His Dad played for OU. He grew up here. And from all accounts he loves his spot (ala Leinert), and isn't a super-materialistic type guy. Plus his family is already comfortable. . .not rich, but not hurting either.

He doesn't have ANY pressure to go, so unless he's right at the top he can afford to wait another year. ..especially if they don't win it all tomorrow, and he has that as a goal.

Leinart dropped about 9 spots because he stayed. Bradford might have the same thing happen to him.

NightTrainLayne
01-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Leinart dropped about 9 spots because he stayed. Bradford might have the same thing happen to him.

Probably how he and the team performs tomorrow night will have an impact on his draft status. If Florida blows out OU like USC did a few years ago he might drop 9 spots anyways.

On the other hand. . if he plays well and they win a game that the consensus is that they'll lose he could jump to the top.

OrangeHoof
01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
The Sooners aren't even waiting for the blowout to happen before they get their excuses in order. "We didn't have Reynolds. We didn't have Murray. Our cornerback said something he shouldn't have. A bunch of our guys are turning pro. WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

For a team that got every break in the world just to get to the National Championship Game, they sure are talking like the imposters they are.

NightTrainLayne
01-07-2009, 01:26 PM
The Sooners aren't even waiting for the blowout to happen before they get their excuses in order. "We didn't have Reynolds. We didn't have Murray. Our cornerback said something he shouldn't have. A bunch of our guys are turning pro. WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

For a team that got every break in the world just to get to the National Championship Game, they sure are talking like the imposters they are.

Well-played.

I'm a realist. You won't ever see me talking smack that doesn't get backed up.

BTW. The Sooners didn't have anything to do with getting into the National Championship game. .. other than winning very decisively over Texas Tech. The same TT team that UT trailed for the vast majority of their game and eventually lost to.

If the Sooners somehow hold some magical power to force the BCS formula to put them in place ahead of Texas then I'll recant, but as far as I know it's well out of their control. All they can do is play the games. Being put in that game doesn't make them imposters.

Mack Brown still stubbornly voting UT #1 however, is the epitome of an imposter.

MOtorboat
01-07-2009, 01:28 PM
If Oklahoma "lucked" into the Championship game, so did Florida. It's not like the Gators are undefeated, either.

BigDaddyBronco
01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned Utah is the National Champ. The BCS sucks.

horsesense
01-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Oklahoma beats Florida by at least 10.:cool:
Its more a gut feeling than anything else. I admit I only watched Fl play Alabama this year. I did follow Ok. and had hoped it would come down to the best O (OK) going up against the best D (USC).
On another note. I do love the Rose Bowl, but would give that and the rest of the bowls up in a heartbeat for some sort of top 8-10 playoff formula.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Oklahoma beats Florida St. by at least 10.:cool:
Its more a gut feeling than anything else. I admit I only watched FS play Alabama this year. I did follow Ok. and had hoped it would come down to the best O (OK) going up against the best D (USC).
On another note. I do love the Rose Bowl, but would give that and the rest of the bowls up in a heartbeat for some sort of top 8-10 playoff formula.

Oklahoma would trounce Florida State. Good thing they are playing Florida.

:wave:

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I think it's going to be on Hell of a game. Too close to call, I think it could go either way.

horsesense
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
see I told you I didnt follow Florida St. or Florida. My Bad. I did watch the Al. Fl. game (which was what I was going at) and wasnt too impressed with either. I still say OK. wins this game easily.

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
see I told you I didnt follow Florida St. or Florida. My Bad. I did watch the Al. Fl. game (which was what I was going at) and wasnt too impressed with either. I still say OK. wins this game easily.

If they had played a month ago I'd agree with you. I just don't know what this lay-off will do to OU's passing attack. If they come out as rusty as Texas did against Ohio State then it could go either way.

If they come out like they did the last few weeks of the season, I think you're right. We'll just have to see how they weathered the month off.

horsesense
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
a month they couldve been playing playoff games leading up to a true #1.

NightTrainLayne
01-08-2009, 11:11 AM
a month they couldve been playing playoff games leading up to a true #1.

One other weakness for OU. Terrible, terrible, terrible special-teams play. At least on the kick coverage side. A month off probably isn't that great for that either, but it can't be much worse than it has been all season.

OU's offense has to make up of a lot of deficiencies elsewhere this year. . .like a certain other team that I love.

OrangeHoof
01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Not many of these BCS championship games turn out to be close but I don't think it is because one team is great and the other team sucks. It's because you have two teams full of young men who both have big dreams of being the champion and usually the team that gets the first few breaks gets the "we're going to win" attitude while the other gets the "we're going to lose" attitude and the game becomes lopsided.

For every Texas-USC classic, we get four or five Florida-Ohio State blowouts. That's just from the momentum created by an early kick return that goes all the way or a critical turnover that's converted to points.

MOtorboat
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Not many of these BCS championship games turn out to be close but I don't think it is because one team is great and the other team sucks. It's because you have two teams full of young men who both have big dreams of being the champion and usually the team that gets the first few breaks gets the "we're going to win" attitude while the other gets the "we're going to lose" attitude and the game becomes lopsided.

For every Texas-USC classic, we get four or five Florida-Ohio State blowouts. That's just from the momentum created by an early kick return that goes all the way or a critical turnover that's converted to points.

I think the last two have clouded your judgment about this.

The Texas-USC game is probably one of the best games ever played. The Ohio State-Miami National Championship was a classic, the LSU-Oklahoma game was very good, as was the Oklahoma-Florida State, and Tennessee-Florida State. So 10 years, four or five have been really good games, 5 or 6 have been pretty lame.