PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska is going to the national title game

jhns
08-30-2007, 10:20 AM
So I was thinking about what new message boards need to make them complete, then it hit me all at once. We need the local Nebraska homer!!!

__________________________________________________ _______________

Two years ago, I found myself wide awake at 3 a.m. on a random Thursday night in August, playing NCAA '06. I'd gotten the game earlier in the day, spent the first few hours of the night making all the necessary changes on the depth charts, and just cracked open the first of what would be several Barq's Root Beers.

Starting off a season with the Tennessee Volunteers, I was excited for the realism and accuracy that made the video game one of the best on the market. Of course, a mere 15 minutes into my opener with UAB, I noticed something very odd scrolling across the fake bottom line ticker. According to the game, unranked TCU, apparently, had beaten No. 3 Oklahoma in Norman.
I was disgusted.

Long a fan of the Electronic Arts franchise, I couldn't take the game seriously from that point on. I'd lost faith. A crazy upset? On the road? During the opening week of the season? Ugh.

That kind of stuff didn't happen in real life. My beloved game had clearly let me down.

Sure enough, three weeks later, the real TCU Horned Frogs beat the real Oklahoma Sooners in Norman.

I haven't doubted the game since.

Throughout last year, we turned to NCAA '07 for predictions. The results were uncanny. Before the season, a simulated run-through of the game revealed Florida as the eventual SEC Champions, Boise State making a run at a BCS bowl berth, and both Florida State and Miami finishing the season outside of the Top 25. Furthermore, Troy Smith was accurately predicted as the Heisman, Arkansas and Wake Forest foreseen with winning records, and Kentucky capable of both an upset over Georgia and an eventual victory in a bowl game.

Move over Kreskin.

By now, you've read all the college football previews, heard all the hype, and seen all the lame Heisman promotional material you'll ever need for the 2007 college football season. You know Colt Brennan's going to throw for 40-plus touchdowns, Darren McFadden's going to do some wild stuff out of the Wildcat formation, and Jimbo Fisher's going to bring offense back to Tallahassee. Boise State returns a slew of starters, West Virginia adds Noel Devine to its already loaded backfield, and Tulsa's everyone's sexy mid-major sleeper pick.

It all starts this week, and you've never been more prepared.

But before we get started, let's see what the old video game console had to say.

With every player's name loaded and every team's roster updated on to the game, we've simulated the entire 2007 college football season. After a half hour of scores zipping, names flashing, and fight song music blaring in the background, we've got polls, awards, a national champion — the whole deal. Take some time and read through.

NCAA '08 end of regular season rankings
: 1. LSU
2. Nebraska
3. West Virginia
4. Arkansas
5. Virginia Tech
6. Louisville
7. Boise State
8. Penn State
9. Michigan
10. USC
11. Ohio State
12. Florida State
13. Wisconsin
14. Texas A&M
15. UCLA
16. Florida
17. Rutgers
18. Auburn
19. Oklahoma
20. Miami
21. Texas
22. Tennessee
23. Notre Dame
24. Washington
25. Purdue

BCS matchups
Rose Bowl: Penn State (Big Ten Champions) vs. USC (Pac-10 Champions)
Final score: USC wins 51-13

Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech (ACC Champions) vs. West Virginia (Big East Champions)
Final score: West Virginia wins 31-28

Sugar Bowl: Louisville (At-large) vs. Michigan (At-large)
Final score: Louisville wins 27-20

Fiesta Bowl: Arkansas (At-large) vs. Boise State (At-large)
Final score: Arkansas wins 35-21

National championship: Nebraska (BCS No. 2) at LSU (BCS No. 1)
Final score: LSU wins 34-17
MVP: Matt Flynn, QB, LSU — 23-30, 311 yards, 3 TDs

National champions: LSU Tigers

Heisman finalists
Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
John David Booty, QB, USC
Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
Sam Keller, QB, Nebraska

Winner: McFadden

Other award winners
Maxwell (best player): Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
Bednarik (best defensive player): Dan Connor, LB, Penn State
Davey O'Brien (best quarterback): Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
Walker (best running back): Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
Best WR: Mario Urrutia, WR, Louisville
Best TE: Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
Best OL: Sam Baker, OT, USC
Rimington (best center): Jeremy Harrell, C, Arkansas
Lombardi (dest defensive lineman): Andrae Wright, DE, West Virginia
Best LB: Vince Hall, LB, Virginia Tech
Thorpe (best defensive back): Jonathan Hefney, CB, Tennessee
Groza (best kicker): Richard Jackson, K, Clemson
Best Punter: Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
Best kick/punt returner: Eddie Royal, WR, Virginia Tech
Best coach: Bill Callahan, Nebraska

First-team All-Americans:
QB: Brian Brohm, Louisville
RB: Chris Wells, Ohio State
RB: Darren McFadden, Arkansas
WR: Mario Urrutia, Louisville
WR: Early Doucet, LSU
TE: Sam Wheeler, Virginia Tech
G: Sergio Render, Virginia Tech
C: Ryan Schuman, Virginia Tech
G: Greg Isdaner, West Virginia
T: Sam Baker, USC
T: Jake Long, Michigan
DE: Andrae Wright, West Virginia
DE: Bruce Davis, UCLA
DT: Frank Okam, Texas
DT: Glen Dorsey, LSU
LB: Steve Octavien, Nebraska
LB: Dan Connor, Penn State
LB: Vince Hall, Virginia Tech
CB: Zack Bowman, Nebraska
CB: Jonathan Hefney, Tennessee
FS: Kyle Jackson, Florida
SS: Reggie Smith, Oklahoma
K: Richard Jackson, Clemson
P: Zoltan Mesko, Michigan

Second-team All-Americans:
QB: Colt Brennan, Hawaii
RB: Branden Ore, Virginia Tech
RB: Steve Slaton, West Virginia
WR: Jason Rivers, Hawaii
WR: DeSean Jackson, California
TE: Dustin Keller, Purdue
T: Jose Valdez, Arkansas
C: Mike Dent, West Virginia
G: Ramon Foster, Tennessee
G: Jordan Picou, Nebraska
T: King Dunlap, Auburn
DE: Chris Long, Virginia
DE: Chris Harrington, Texas A&M
DT: Terrance Knighton, Temple
DT: Derrell Hand, Notre Dame
LB: Ali Highsmith, LSU
LB: Rey Maualuga, USC
LB: Xavier Abidi, Virginia Tech
CB: Jonathan Zenon, LSU
CB: Chevis Jackson, LSU
FS: Otis Wiley, Michigan State
SS: Myron Rolle, Florida State
K: Kevin Kelly, Penn State
P: Patrick Fisher, LSU

All-freshman team:
QB: Adam Weber, Minnesota
RB: Noel Devine, West Virginia
RB: DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma
WR: Terrance Tolliver, LSU
WR: Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
TE: Bailey Woods, Auburn
G: James Pouncey, Florida
C: Beau Warren, Virginia Tech
G: Kevin Young, South Carolina
T: Aaron Brown, Virginia Tech
T: Jarvis Jones, LSU
DE: Lawrence Marsh, Florida
DE: Jason Adjepong, Virginia Tech
DT: Wayne Thomas, Rutgers
DT: Dexter Larrimore, Ohio State
LB: Jared Detrick, Virginia
LB: Manny Abreu, Rutgers
LB: Jeremiha Hunter, Iowa
CB: Eric Berry, Tennessee
CB: Jai Eugene, LSU
FS: Deunta Williams, North Carolina
SS: Jordan Bernstine, Iowa
K: Richard Jackson, Clemson
P: Chas Henry, Florida

Get all that?

USC losing to Nebraska in Lincoln on Sept. 15, Penn State topping Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin in the Big 10, and both Oklahoma and Texas finishing out of the top 15. Bill Callahan leading an undefeated Nebraska squad to the BCS Championship Game, UCLA and Washington edging out Oregon and Cal for the 2 and 3 spots in the Pac-10, and Boise State making a return to the Fiesta Bowl. Sam Keller invited to New York for the Heisman presentation? A team that had four players from last year's Sugar Bowl champion squad get selected in the first round of April's NFL Draft winning it less than twelve months later?

advertisement
STORY TOOLS:

print
send
blog
RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

It sounds absurd, I know.

And hey, believe what you want.

But I'd keep this article bookmarked somewhere on your desktop. Save it for early December.

This video game is eerily good at predicting things.

The TCU-Oklahoma upset in 2005, Boise State's miracle season last year, Wake Forest and Arkansas turning it around in '06 ...

All things considered, Nebraska in the BCS Championship doesn't seem so crazy after all.

This is on espn but I just copy/pasted it and closed it without getting the link. I will come back and post a link in a little bit.

jhns
08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
It won't let me edit in the link so here it is:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7159172

Nomad
08-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Nebraska is welcome to the national title game as long as this prediction comes true with LSU as coming out the winner!:first:

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2007, 11:25 AM
:biglaugh:

:rolleyes:

:hurt:

rcsodak
08-30-2007, 12:10 PM
hahaha.....

Callacan't? Best coach? ERROR #1
Bowman? Mr "I have an owwy"?
Octavian? *see above*

Thanks for the laugh, jns..... :nixon:

jhns
08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
You will see soon enough RSO. Good luck getting to the Big 12 Championship. If you guys make it, we will see you there.

rcsodak
10-08-2007, 02:36 AM
You will see soon enough RSO. Good luck getting to the Big 12 Championship. If you guys make it, we will see you there.

bumpety bump......bump.

:listen:

jhns
10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
bumpety bump......bump.

This thread didn't need bumped... :vroam:

Requiem / The Dagda
10-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey did you know Adam Carriker plays defensive tackle for the Rams?

rcsodak
10-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey did you know Adam Carriker plays defensive tackle for the Rams?

Conclusion: nodak brain-freeze

Jody
10-27-2007, 11:47 PM
Nebraska is welcome to the national title game as long as this prediction comes true with LSU as coming out the winner!:first:

No my dixie friend! :faint:

Requiem / The Dagda
10-28-2007, 02:45 AM

Conclusion: nodak brain-freeze

I can't help it I'm awesome.

rcsodak
10-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I can't help it I'm awesome.

And you make no sense.:tsk:

Requiem / The Dagda
10-28-2007, 11:32 PM
And you make no sense.:tsk:

Of course I made sense. J said there was no way that Carriker would play DT in the NFL. He is. I WAS RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

jhns
10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
So it looks like the article was a little off.

The coach definately needs fired when the best college team ever can't stay above .500 . :shocked:

Jody
10-29-2007, 09:24 PM

The coach definately needs fired when the best college team ever can't stay above .500 . :shocked:

We need a coach that has a connection to Nebraska and the tradition of college ball. He must be fired, and it can't be soon enough for my liking.

However, Tom moves rather slowly, always has. He's repeatedly said, the coach will stay through the end of the season, because it's too hard on a team to lose a coach mid-season. HA! It might actually get our guys enthusiastic again, they look and act like they are READY for a change!

rcsodak
10-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Of course I made sense. J said there was no way that Carriker would play DT in the NFL. He is. I WAS RIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.
I could have swore you saying how he SUCKED, and hoped Shanny wouldn't draft him because he would continue to suck in the NFL.

rcsodak
10-30-2007, 12:11 AM

Well, it should only be a matter of time....

Uncle Tom let it slip out, in an interview. He was asked by a female reporter (maybe he got excited) if they would start-up the walk-on program again.

UT told her that'd be "up to the next coach"....

OOOOOPS!:eek:

jhns
10-30-2007, 11:06 AM
We need a coach that has a connection to Nebraska and the tradition of college ball. He must be fired, and it can't be soon enough for my liking.

However, Tom moves rather slowly, always has. He's repeatedly said, the coach will stay through the end of the season, because it's too hard on a team to lose a coach mid-season. HA! It might actually get our guys enthusiastic again, they look and act like they are READY for a change!

The big problem is that we have now lost a few 5 and 4 star recruits because of this. They all stated that they don't want to come here not knowing who the coach will be, and that they know our current coach is done.

This coach limbo that we have going right now is going to make it much harder to rebuild this team. The QB we had comming in was supposed to be real good. Now we are left with 2 top QB's dropping off our commit list in as many seasons.

Not only that, but I also just found out last night that Keller is gone for the year. Now it will be much harder to get at least a bowl game out of this season.

jhns
10-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, it should only be a matter of time....

Uncle Tom let it slip out, in an interview. He was asked by a female reporter (maybe he got excited) if they would start-up the walk-on program again.

UT told her that'd be "up to the next coach"....

OOOOOPS!:eek:

Everyone knows it's comming. Our coach and Tom do not get along and never have. There is about a 0% chance that he keeps his job now that Tom is in control of it.

Jody
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Everyone knows it's comming. Our coach and Tom do not get along and never have. There is about a 0% chance that he keeps his job now that Tom is in control of it.

Well, I'd probably put that as Callahan despises Tom, as he's said some pretty horrific things about him in public that upon hearing about, I was in 'shock' he thought there would never be any recourse for that down the line one day. If Callahan loses his job at Nebraska, no...no...WHEN Callahan loses his job at Nebraska......do you think his career is over? *out the window*?

Requiem / The Dagda
10-31-2007, 01:13 PM
I could have swore you saying how he SUCKED, and hoped Shanny wouldn't draft him because he would continue to suck in the NFL.

I stated I wasn't a fan of Carriker on numerous occasions, but also stated he would be moved inside in a 4-3 at the NFL level. I made bank.

rcsodak
10-31-2007, 11:41 PM
I stated I wasn't a fan of Carriker on numerous occasions, but also stated he would be moved inside in a 4-3 at the NFL level. I made bank.

He plays insided AND outside.

And saying you weren't "a fan" is a little weak on the wording, wouldn't you say.

He'll be a better player than crowder. Watch.

I believe you also said Dusty D wasn't going to be any good, and you might notice a certain decline in the Chicago D ever since he was lost to injury.

It's ok to be wrong. You won't die.:tsk:

Requiem / The Dagda
11-01-2007, 12:52 AM
He plays insided AND outside.

He plays inside more than anything.

He'll be a better player than crowder. Watch.

Top fifteen selections should be play better than second rounders, and I don't think you'll ever see me saying that Crowder was a better player than Carriker. Crowder was a player I preferred in this defense more than Adam. Weren't you the one who deleted your Crowder thread because you made a fool out of yourself? Ah, thought so.

I believe you also said Dusty D wasn't going to be any good, and you might notice a certain decline in the Chicago D ever since he was lost to injury.

Oh for God sakes RC, get a hold of yourself. The man has what, two career tackles and played in one game? He's first-year player and he is 26 years old. He's a nobody at defensive tackle, and has done nothing for the Chicago Bears. The guy is a scrub.

It's ok to be wrong. You won't die.:tsk:

The problem is, I'm not wrong. Carriker plays inside more than outside. FACT. Dvoracek sucks. FACT.

Just because you're an OU fan doesn't mean you need to be a complete homer on every prospect that comes out of the school.

Watch the games, use a little common sense.

When it comes to player evaluations, it helps.

rcsodak
11-01-2007, 07:42 PM
He plays inside more than anything.Did I say which one was played at more often? Didn't think so.

Top fifteen selections should be play better than second rounders, and I don't think you'll ever see me saying that Crowder was a better player than Carriker. Crowder was a player I preferred in this defense more than Adam. Weren't you the one who deleted your Crowder thread because you made a fool out of yourself? Ah, thought so.Using a player's draft spot as an indicator AFTER the draft, is showing your soft underbelly. So Brady should be worse then Cutler? You have no foothold here. Best you admit it. Draft slot has NOTHING to do with how a player develops/plays in the NFL. Ask Rod Smith, TD, and then compare them to the inumerable BUSTS in the top 10.
And what crowder thread did I make a fool of myself in? DREAMING again?

Oh for God sakes RC, get a hold of yourself. The man has what, two career tackles and played in one game? He's first-year player and he is 26 years old. He's a nobody at defensive tackle, and has done nothing for the Chicago Bears. The guy is a scrub.Firstly, don't tell me to hold myself.
And evidently you didn't see/hear what was being said about the STARTING ROOKIE DT Dvorcek. I can EASILY point to far worse defensive production from when he played to when he went out. What kind of made-up proof, to support your disdain for ANY OU player, do YOU have?

The problem is, I'm not wrong. Carriker plays inside more than outside. FACT. Dvoracek sucks. FACT.You wouldn't know a FACT if it bit you in the butt.

Just because you're an OU fan doesn't mean you need to be a complete homer on every prospect that comes out of the school.

Watch the games, use a little common sense.

When it comes to player evaluations, it helps.
I can be a college fan without being a "complete homer". Show me some posts where I homered out on sooner players. Maybe you should know YOUR facts before you start typing. Nor will you find one post of mine saying OU would win the Big 12 this year. Maybe you should pipe down with the attacks, as you are so good at dishing out but not taking.

And give me a break on the "player evaluations" crap. You don't sit there watching game tape. You watch the same televised video the rest of us watch, which is sporadic at best, mainly focusing on the offensive backfield, and action, thereafter. Spending all of your time reading others' opinions, and espousing them as your own, doesn't make you a scout. Only a plagiarist. That's only "common sense". IMO

Requiem / The Dagda
11-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Did I say which one was played at more often? Didn't think so.

That's because you wouldn't know.

Using a player's draft spot as an indicator AFTER the draft, is showing your soft underbelly. So Brady should be worse then Cutler? You have no foothold here. Best you admit it. Draft slot has NOTHING to do with how a player develops/plays in the NFL. Ask Rod Smith, TD, and then compare them to the inumerable BUSTS in the top 10.

My point was that I'd have more expecations of a top fifteen player over a second-rounder. After all, the higher you go - the more is expected of you.

And what crowder thread did I make a fool of myself in? DREAMING again?

The one that was deleted after you made yourself look bad not knowing the severity of Crowder's ankle injury.

Firstly, don't tell me to hold myself.

Why not?

And evidently you didn't see/hear what was being said about the STARTING ROOKIE DT Dvorcek. I can EASILY point to far worse defensive production from when he played to when he went out.

You're completely overstating the impact Dvoracek has on the Bears defense. If you want to point out the worst defensive production after Dvoracek's departure - be my guest. You might want to factor in the play of the other 10 players on defense as well. Then again, you never had an argument to begin with. Just speculation.

What kind of made-up proof, to support your disdain for ANY OU player, do YOU have?

Unless there's all this "hidden production" I and any other football fan are missing, I don't think the two tackles he made so far isn't really worth a damn. I think most would agree.

You wouldn't know a FACT if it bit you in the butt.

Of course I would. After all, it is a fact that Carriker plays inside more than outside. Just like it's a fact that Dusty Dvoracek isn't a rookie, but a first-year player. God, I'm good.

I can be a college fan without being a "complete homer". Show me some posts where I homered out on sooner players.

Oh God, where would I begin. Perhaps the "What college wide receiver would you want?" thread over on Broncomania would be a nice place to start. Hell, any post you made regards to Sooner players over the past several years as well. Rufus Alexander ring a bell?

Maybe you should know YOUR facts before you start typing.

What facts? My belief that you're an OU homer? Your posts speak for themselves.

Nor will you find one post of mine saying OU would win the Big 12 this year.

La dee da. Your thoughts on how well OU would do in the Big 12 this year have nothing to do with your complete homerism when it comes to any prospect coming out of Oklahoma.

Maybe you should pipe down with the attacks, as you are so good at dishing out but not taking.

What attacks? Pointing out that you're wrong regarding Dvoracek and that you "homer" out on most all OU prospects? I guess sometimes the truth hurts?

And give me a break on the "player evaluations" crap. You don't sit there watching game tape. You watch the same televised video the rest of us watch, which is sporadic at best, mainly focusing on the offensive backfield, and action, thereafter.

I spend a lot of time on Saturday's and the days later watching televised game tape. You'd also be surprised on how easy it is to actually acquire game footage from athletic departments from various institutions. I've made plenty of posts that differentiate "game tape" from watching games on TV. Yep, most all of my watching of games and prospects comes from what's aired on TV and what I can get recorded, but you act as if that's the only outlet I have. You're sadly mistaken.

Spending all of your time reading others' opinions, and espousing them as your own, doesn't make you a scout. Only a plagiarist. That's only "common sense". IMO

When it comes to my personal player evaluations, all my opinions are my own. That's why I only have a list of about 35-50 key players I can watch throughout the college football year and not over 400 in regards to people like Todd McShay. I don't have the time to be as extensive as I'd like to be, but I have some good resources and I consider myself to be fortunate in the position that I am. I don't speak for the prospects I can't keep account for, and have never watched. Personally, I'm too interested right now in the D-I AA scene going on up here, considering I have a friend who actually tapes everything for the Bison, and has access to numerous resources.

Your vendetta against me has grown really old Mike.

Never stated I was a scout, never intend to be one, and never will be one. I'm a college football enthusiast who loves the NFL Draft. I'm pretty fortunate to have made some of the contacts I have, and to have some of the resources I do. I think most people here are thankful and appreciative of whatever analysis and opinions I have to offer.

Whether it's being the one who brings in a former scout for a professional ball club who throws it out on the table that the Broncos are interested in trading up in the draft for a signal caller in 2006, or that the #37 pick would likely be used in a trade for the acquisition of Javon Walker, or that Tony Scheffler was a darkhorse name to keep your eye on as a potential first-day target for the Broncos - or Hell, even stating that Justin Harrell was one of their top draft targets (coincidentally he was, and would have been our selection had Green Bay not moved up for him - word from the Horse's mouth) - I've been right a lot of the time. I've also been wrong too.

Nothing I've ever posted was ever entitled to state I'm something I'm not. I'm a fan of college football and the draft who enjoys watching people make the transition from college to the NFL. I'm not a scout, and never will be. However, I do hope to get to Mobile someday to hang out with some friends during Senior Bowl week. Maybe then you'd understand.

If you have anything else to say, do it via PM. You've already helped strike the thread off-course as is.

I also apologize in advance if you feel that the "homer" slogan is an insult. We all homer out at some point in time. Myself and Tim Crowder should ring a bell, even Lawrence Timmons!

All I have to say is, just drop the vendetta - and just act decent towards me. It'd be appreciated.

jhns
11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
With the most recent upset it looks as though Nebraska may not have a shot at the title game this year.

Also, with this stuff about "everyone homers out". That is simply a lie! I have never homered for a team I like in my life!

topscribe
11-05-2007, 08:45 PM
RC and Dream, this has gone far enough between you two. Put your swords
back in their sheathes and keep on topic. I am not going to put up with any
more animosity between you two.

-----

UnderArmour
11-06-2007, 10:49 PM
So what section will Nebraska be sitting in?

rcsodak
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
73pts.
Callacant survives another day.

Of course, if agents are considered the 'mouthpiece' of their clients, he should have been canned immediately after the game.

Telling a reporter at the Omaha World Herald, when asked if callacant was asked to resign, he quipped 'maybe you people out there should go test some soil samples', and hollered, ' go count the dirty socks in the locker room'.

Rather surprised he didn't drop "stupid" in their somewhere. :tsk:

jhns
11-12-2007, 11:26 AM
73pts.
Callacant survives another day.

Of course, if agents are considered the 'mouthpiece' of their clients, he should have been canned immediately after the game.

Telling a reporter at the Omaha World Herald, when asked if callacant was asked to resign, he quipped 'maybe you people out there should go test some soil samples', and hollered, ' go count the dirty socks in the locker room'.

Rather surprised he didn't drop "stupid" in their somewhere. :tsk:

While it is nice to score 73 in a game it doesn't make up for having 76 scored on you the week before. Other than that it was a great game to watch!

I have heard the birds chirping about how Callahan might save his job now. I really doubt that happens when you look at the rest of the season. As I have said all along though, I have loved what he has done with the offense. The fact is, he totally neglected the defense and didn't have a coordinator there that could get it done. It is the worst defense I have ever seen in Nebraska.

jhns
11-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Bring on Bo Pelini(sp?)!!!!!!

Nomad
11-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Bring on Bo Pelini(sp?)!!!!!!

I have been reading the LSU fan forums and Pelini is supposed to be going to Lincoln after the SECCG to talk with Tom Osborne! Pelini did a crappy job in the ARK game maybe he was thinking of NU all that time!

jhns
11-26-2007, 02:05 PM
I have been reading the LSU fan forums and Pelini is supposed to be going to Lincoln after the SECCG to talk with Tom Osborne! Pelini did a crappy job in the ARK game maybe he was thinking of NU all that time!

He is my favorite of the conidates that I have heard being talked about. Everywhere he goes has a top defense now.

The one thing I really hope doesn't happen is a switch back to the option. Having Osborne decide the next coach has me pretty worried about that and we would probably end up with another 4-5 years of losing before we even got at all competitive.

The one person I don't want to show up is Turner Gill. There has been a lot of talk about him and I don't think he would be a smart option.

rcsodak
11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
While it is nice to score 73 in a game it doesn't make up for having 76 scored on you the week before. Other than that it was a great game to watch!

I have heard the birds chirping about how Callahan might save his job now. I really doubt that happens when you look at the rest of the season. As I have said all along though, I have loved what he has done with the offense. The fact is, he totally neglected the defense and didn't have a coordinator there that could get it done. It is the worst defense I have ever seen in Nebraska.

Well...

...don't forget who suggest Ganz be the starting QB this year.....

...and who said Kellar.

Who said Callacant would demolish that program in the same/less amount of time it took to bring down the faiduhs....

I can't be expected to constantly waste my fingers on advice, jhns..... :)

Pellini isn't a good choice, and he didn't help OU.
Gill isn't ready.

How about Nutt?

I keep hearing the Navy coach's name being mentioned.

How about NDSU's head coach? He can only beat SDSU every other year, but hey, that's better than what callacant did. :D

jhns
11-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Ganz was no better than Keller and the offense wasn't the problem with either of them playing. It has only been the defense and sometimes special teams that are horrible. The offense has moved on most everyone all season. The only reason the team is bad and the coach is fired is because he did nothing about the defense and obviously didn't pay enough attention to know that it was going to be the worst Nebraska defense ever.

Other than that, yes you got that Callahan is a bad coach. I just wish he would have done something with the defense because I have loved what he has done with the offense.

I have to ask though, why do you say Pelini isn't a good canidate? He has a top defense no matter where he goes. That doesn't mean he can be a head coach but at least he is more than proven at what he has done so far. Really I don't know much since he wasn't at NU for very long though. I am really asking if there is something wrong with him and not trying to defend him here.

Nomad
11-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Supposedly Pelini has already been to Lincoln!:confused:

jhns
11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Supposedly Pelini has already been to Lincoln!:confused:

I have heard that they have already talked to him and he is supposed to be comming in the Saterday after their bowl game. That was just rumor though and I haven't heard anything official. I do know for sure that Tom has talked to Pelini and Gill though. I am pretty sure I saw that on the Husker website, otherwise it was on SI or ESPN.

rcsodak
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Ganz was no better than Keller and the offense wasn't the problem with either of them playing. It has only been the defense and sometimes special teams that are horrible. The offense has moved on most everyone all season. The only reason the team is bad and the coach is fired is because he did nothing about the defense and obviously didn't pay enough attention to know that it was going to be the worst Nebraska defense ever.

Other than that, yes you got that Callahan is a bad coach. I just wish he would have done something with the defense because I have loved what he has done with the offense.

I have to ask though, why do you say Pelini isn't a good canidate? He has a top defense no matter where he goes. That doesn't mean he can be a head coach but at least he is more than proven at what he has done so far. Really I don't know much since he wasn't at NU for very long though. I am really asking if there is something wrong with him and not trying to defend him here.

Pelini didn't help OU's D when he was there, so you can't make that statement....they were already decent.

I just don't think Tom will take a coordinator with no HC history. He's trying to right the ship, not tinker. He already screwed the pooch by telling NU to hire Frank, and look how that turned out.

He's looking for a proven commodity to help write his own legacy, me thinks. He wants to get that Solich taste out of his craw, and make that one last 'recruiting' push.

In my eyes, the trend of hiring a coordinatorfrom one side of the ball, usually ends up with them not improving on that side. You see O coordinators becoming HC's, and the D being improved, and vise verse. If that's the case, they definitely need an O coordinator as a HC.

And how can you say Ganz is no better than Kellar? Were you not watching those last few games? So much for "not being able to read a defense".:D

jhns
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Pelini didn't help OU's D when he was there, so you can't make that statement....they were already decent.

I just don't think Tom will take a coordinator with no HC history. He's trying to right the ship, not tinker. He already screwed the pooch by telling NU to hire Frank, and look how that turned out.

He's looking for a proven commodity to help write his own legacy, me thinks. He wants to get that Solich taste out of his craw, and make that one last 'recruiting' push.

In my eyes, the trend of hiring a coordinatorfrom one side of the ball, usually ends up with them not improving on that side. You see O coordinators becoming HC's, and the D being improved, and vise verse. If that's the case, they definitely need an O coordinator as a HC.

And how can you say Ganz is no better than Kellar? Were you not watching those last few games? So much for "not being able to read a defense".:D

I don't think I ever said Ganz can't read a defense. The only reason I have ever said Keller was because Keller has about 5 times the arm strength as Ganz. Also, yes I did watch his last games. Did you? He had some good numbers and some really horrible ones with those good ones. If you watched Keller and Ganz, you would realize that the offense has moved the ball all season under both of them. The offense has not been the problem this year at all. It is strictly the defense and sometimes the special teams.

I also wasn't saying that Pelini made the defense, I was just asking why you said he isn't good. Even if you inherit talent, you still have to be good in order to use it. All of his defenses have performed very well.

All the talk now around here is that Tom has said it is between him and Turner Gill. I have just liked Pelini better because I know who he is and what he has accomplished, for the most part. I have no clue how Gill coaches and I have this fear that they are going to try to bring back the option. I really don't want to sit through another 4 years of transition again so that is really my only reason for leaning toward Pelini.

rcsodak
11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
well, i'm hearing it's prolly pelini also. they're waiting until after some games are played. who else is playing?
unless, of course, it's the navy coach...aren't they playing army this weekend?

hey, maybe they'll keep callacant around for O coordinator, since you're so enthralled with his offense.....:laugh:

jhns
11-30-2007, 10:31 AM
well, i'm hearing it's prolly pelini also. they're waiting until after some games are played. who else is playing?
unless, of course, it's the navy coach...aren't they playing army this weekend?

hey, maybe they'll keep callacant around for O coordinator, since you're so enthralled with his offense.....:laugh:

I have actually heard rumors that he may go the the Chiefs next season.

There is supposed to be an interview with the Navy coach after that game as well. I think we will find out who the coach is after that game and the conference championships are done.

jhns
11-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Man I hate coach searches here in Nebraska. You can tell that we have nothing better to do here. There are so many rumors flying around I am starting to wonder if I will even believe the reports of us signing a coach when we really do.

Nomad
11-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Pelini has been hired by Nebraska per ESPN

aberdien
12-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Pelini has been hired by Nebraska per ESPN

Anybody is better than Callahan. He is too conservative, especially when he has the lead.

rcsodak
12-04-2007, 07:25 PM
My oh my, how nebraskan memories are short...... :tsk:

Seems like it was just the other day, when pelini was coaching, and they got lit up by the spread offense....

...and now, after seeing how his tiggers let mcfadden run rampant on them, while tennesse, and some 1AA team shut him down.....

Kinda makes ya wonder...

...how is this ANY different, than the hand-picking of callacant by Pederson? Seems both "AD's" had one person, and one person only, in mind.

jhns
12-05-2007, 01:35 PM
He actually had multiple people in mind and had interviews with a few of them.

I am not sure what to think of this signing, as noone knows how Bo will be as a head coach. You talking trash about his defense that won them the conference championship is just silly though. Did you watch that game? It was almost all defense that won it for them. Also, he has something like the #3 defense in the nation this year. He also has coached one of the top defenses in the NCAA every year since he came to NU the first time. He gets good recruits (or someone gets them for him, hopefully it is him getting them though) and is able to coach those recruits.

You are trying to make to big of a deal about a couple of bad games by his defenses. There are very few of those bad games compared to good/great ones. I would like you to show me any defense in the NCAA that hasn't had a bad game or two though. I think you are now just trying to find ways to bash whoever NU brings in.

rcsodak
12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
He actually had multiple people in mind and had interviews with a few of them.

I am not sure what to think of this signing, as noone knows how Bo will be as a head coach. You talking trash about his defense that won them the conference championship is just silly though. Did you watch that game? It was almost all defense that won it for them. Also, he has something like the #3 defense in the nation this year. He also has coached one of the top defenses in the NCAA every year since he came to NU the first time. He gets good recruits (or someone gets them for him, hopefully it is him getting them though) and is able to coach those recruits.

You are trying to make to big of a deal about a couple of bad games by his defenses. There are very few of those bad games compared to good/great ones. I would like you to show me any defense in the NCAA that hasn't had a bad game or two though. I think you are now just trying to find ways to bash whoever NU brings in.
Why would I want to "bash" nu? I have no reason to.
I just think that uncle tom heard the fans, and he didn't want to ruin his 'legacy'.

Tell me how LSU's defense was BEFORE Bo got there.

And exactly how many years was he the DCoordinator at your huskers?

But hey, it'll be interesting....

...he graduated with Bobby Stoops....they both played under Hayden Frey.....

....maybe there IS another genie in that bottle.... :D

I just think it was rushed, is all. You can't tell me they didn't know 6 games ago that callacant was going to be fired. But instead of doing it early, and getting the ball rolling, they cut themselves close on time/recruiting. Not smart in my eyes.
You can't tell me there aren't some established coaches out there, up-n-comers, that wouldn't have been a great fit. Crap, look at Bohl up in nodak! And ALOT of people wanted the Navy coach. Talk about making something out of nothing.... He'll be grabbed by somebody and I'm afraid tom's going to regret not giving him a chance.

jhns
12-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Honestly, I have no clue who the good coaches are right now that would leave their teams.

Yes he was only here one season and yes LSU, NU, and OU all had good defenses when he came. The only thing I was saying is that he kept them good. His coaching still allowed all of those defenses to be near the top in the country. I'm not real sure what he did at OU as I am pretty sure he was a co-coordinator that year but he did very well at the other two schools. That is from a coaching and play calling standpoint. LSU doesn't have the same group of guys from when he got there and the ones that are the same have been almost exclusively coached by him. This is the point I am trying to make. I'm not sure that he can make a team better, but his system doesn't make them worse.

Like I said though, I have no clue if he will be a good or bad coach. The players that where here under him all have nothing but great things to say about him.

The decision was rushed but that is only because we where losing our recruits and more where threatening because they didn't know who the coach was. I agree that they should have started looking sooner but how many people would have really talked to them in the middle of the season?

Oh well, the decision is made. We will have to wait and see if it will pay off now.