PDA

View Full Version : Raheem Morris won't be our next DC

Fan in Exile
12-26-2008, 10:19 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/12/25/bucs.morris.coordinator.ap/index.html

The Bucs promoted him to their Defensive coordinator. I was also curious if there was anyobody out there who might make a good DC and also maybe bring along a few d-line free agents. Any thoughts anyone?

omac
12-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Someone here mentioned the defensive line coach of the Jaguars would be good.

Heck, I'll take the defensive line coach of any top rated rushing defense to be our DC.

NightTrainLayne
12-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Someone here mentioned the defensive line coach of the Jaguars would be good.

Heck, I'll take the defensive line coach of any top rated rushing defense to be our DC.

Let's face it. . .there's about 28 DC's out there with a better track record than ours. . . :rolleyes:

broncofaninfla
12-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Speaking of good DC's, does anybody know how much the Chargers D has improved since Rivera got the nod as their DC? Seems like they are better but still have some issues against the pass.

broken12
12-26-2008, 12:04 PM
well i was wondering, anyone think if gunther cunningham would be a good fit for us, i really like what hes done with a really young team in kc.

omac
12-26-2008, 12:44 PM
well i was wondering, anyone think if gunther cunningham would be a good fit for us, i really like what hes done with a really young team in kc.

The Chiefs are 30st against the run, the pass, and points allowed, and 31st in yards allowed, but .....

They have 29 takeaways this season, tied for 3rd most in the NFL, so they do make plays, unlike our defense. :coffee:

Gamechanger
12-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Rod Marinelli for your next D-Line Coach?

Max Power
12-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Mike Nolan

broken12
12-26-2008, 02:33 PM
well, i think gunther would be a good fit, knows the 4/3 well and also knows how to maximize the talent, i believe that the chiefs are the youngest defense in the league and especially dbs, nolan was good with baltimore but rather have bengals head coach over him, what about the dline coach from the colts? he was here during the superbowl years

Gamechanger
12-26-2008, 02:54 PM
well, i think gunther would be a good fit, knows the 4/3 well and also knows how to maximize the talent, i believe that the chiefs are the youngest defense in the league and especially dbs, nolan was good with baltimore but rather have bengals head coach over him, what about the dline coach from the colts? he was here during the superbowl years

Teerlinick?

G_Money
12-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Quick list culled from another post:

- Crennel will be fired.
- Marvin Lewis will likely be fired (though as Bengals fans keep telling me, he's beloved by ownership for some reason, so maybe he'll get another stay of execution).
- Nolan was fired.
- Word is Gregg Williams will be fired.
- Wade Phillips could be fired, especially if Cowher would take the job (no idea why he would with Jerry Jones hovering over him, but I guess you never know).
- Rivera isn’t going anywhere now in SD, especially since he’s a coach-in-waiting for whenever Norv bites the dust (c’mon, Chargers, give him another year…we’re throwing games trying to help you make that stupid decision).
- we likely lost the TB DB coach I like (Morris), since he’ll take over for Kiffin I’m guessing. (Edit: and he did)
- The Giants don’t have an understudy in waiting. Their assistants are all either young or great position coaches, not coordinator material.
- Our old DC Robinson will be available (Edit: though i would prefer he NOT come back).
- Our other old DC Coyer just spent a few years learning at the feet of Kiffin while coaching the TB DL.
- The Eagles have a DB coach named McDermott worth taking a look at as a DC. He understands blitzes and everything. (Edit: I LIKE McDermott. Of all the potential guys who've never run a D before, he's my guy).
- We could try for the Ravens DL coach Brooks, I guess, but he might get a promotion if Ryan gets one of these head jobs that’ll be opening up.

There ARE options. LOTS of options. Some are better than others, all are better than Slowik.

~G

WARHORSE
12-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Id like a guy that has gameday experience. The attribute Id like that DC to have the most is gameplanning and gameday adjustments.

I think Gunther, as mentioned before, is a good candidate. Not only is he a no bull, ball stomping type, but he knows how to defense the Broncos. Which will help us.

Theres also Greg Williams, who runs a three four with an attack mentality.
Dont know if he sees what he feels he needs in our players, but he was able to generate pressure in Washington for years without a significant name on the Dline.

G_Money
12-26-2008, 03:24 PM
My quick choices:

Previous DC who has never coached here before: Gregg Williams. He's what War says, an attacking DC who understands our "style" of D and for whom we wouldn't have to replace all LBs and DL in some 3-4 conversion. He's also a personal friend of Jeff Fisher, so he might get in as crony-by-proxy, only as a talented one too. Unless Jeff needs him because his own DC looks like he's about to get a head coaching gig after the phenomenal year Tennessee's had. Cross your fingers that we hire Williams first. Runner up is Mike Nolan.

Previous DC who HAS coached here before: Larry Coyer. He's spent a few years learning the Tampa 2 wrinkles under Monte Kiffin, he ran an acceptable defense for us before he inexplicably stopped blitzing his last year here, and he can get along with Shanahan. Shanahan still likes and respects him even after Coyer resigned. That's rare. Getting along with Shanny is the first key to staying more than a season, so I'd like a guy who can do that.

New DC with no previous DC experience: Sean McDermott. Previously McDermott was the runner-up in this category for me to Morris, but now that Morris has a job it's McDermott's title. He's cut his teeth on an aggressive, blitzing Jim Johnson defense in much the same way that the Giants DC did, and he'd coached the back 7 for the Eagles with quite a bit of aplomb. Johnson loves him and expects him to do well as a DC, and I won't gainsay Jim, since his system works and the fellas he has faith in seem to be good coaches.

If it was me, I would want one of the 4 above names once we fire Slowik. Williams, Nolan, Coyer, or McDermott.

There are other guys I'd be fine with, but those are my choices.

~G

Fan in Exile
12-27-2008, 11:05 AM
My quick choices:

Previous DC who has never coached here before: Gregg Williams. He's what War says, an attacking DC who understands our "style" of D and for whom we wouldn't have to replace all LBs and DL in some 3-4 conversion. He's also a personal friend of Jeff Fisher, so he might get in as crony-by-proxy, only as a talented one too. Unless Jeff needs him because his own DC looks like he's about to get a head coaching gig after the phenomenal year Tennessee's had. Cross your fingers that we hire Williams first. Runner up is Mike Nolan.

Previous DC who HAS coached here before: Larry Coyer. He's spent a few years learning the Tampa 2 wrinkles under Monte Kiffin, he ran an acceptable defense for us before he inexplicably stopped blitzing his last year here, and he can get along with Shanahan. Shanahan still likes and respects him even after Coyer resigned. That's rare. Getting along with Shanny is the first key to staying more than a season, so I'd like a guy who can do that.

New DC with no previous DC experience: Sean McDermott. Previously McDermott was the runner-up in this category for me to Morris, but now that Morris has a job it's McDermott's title. He's cut his teeth on an aggressive, blitzing Jim Johnson defense in much the same way that the Giants DC did, and he'd coached the back 7 for the Eagles with quite a bit of aplomb. Johnson loves him and expects him to do well as a DC, and I won't gainsay Jim, since his system works and the fellas he has faith in seem to be good coaches.

If it was me, I would want one of the 4 above names once we fire Slowik. Williams, Nolan, Coyer, or McDermott.

~G

I like the list G, although none of them would be able to bring along a free agent d-lineman, which would be a great bonus.

I think we would have the best shot at bringing McDermott in. Since he's currently the secondary coach. I also like how he brought some of the younger guys along when he was the LB coach, shows he can teach.

I'm not sure if I want Coyer back, maybe things would be better with the Goodman's bringing in talent, and his experience in Tampa. However he just didn't make adjustments and I don't want to be the team that gives him another shot at it.

Nolan is probably looking for work right now but he's got time and money to find the right place. I'm not so sure he would look at Denver as being the right place or that he would have chemistry when he got here.

Williams is the assistant HC/defensive coordinator for the Jags right now, so we can't talk to him without permission. He's got a lot more pieces to work with there, and probably has something to prove after this year.

lex
12-27-2008, 11:27 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/12/25/bucs.morris.coordinator.ap/index.html

The Bucs promoted him to their Defensive coordinator. I was also curious if there was anyobody out there who might make a good DC and also maybe bring along a few d-line free agents. Any thoughts anyone?

Mark Banker, who is the DC for Oregon State.

Bill Shuey, LB coach, Phil Eagles

Bill Sheridan, LB coach, NY Giants

Mike Waufle, DL coach, NY Giants

G_Money
12-27-2008, 12:03 PM
You know how I feel about those guys, lex.

Shuey is McDermott's understudy as far as the Eagles D goes. McDermott's been there longer and is better thought of by Johnson. Shuey is following in McDermott's footsteps, not the other way around.

And I don't think any of the Giants coaches are coordinator material. Most of them are positional teachers.

Banker, OTOH, is interesting. I didn't put up a "DC who is currently coaching in college" section but he'd have to make the short list. :beer:

And Williams is about to be fired by the Jags, Exile, that's why I put him on the list. We won't have to talk to them about him shortly.

~G

lex
12-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Shuey is McDermott's understudy as far as the Eagles D goes. McDermott's been there longer and is better thought of by Johnson. Shuey is following in McDermott's footsteps, not the other way around.

And I don't think any of the Giants coaches are coordinator material. Most of them are positional teachers.

Banker, OTOH, is interesting. I didn't put up a "DC who is currently coaching in college" section but he'd have to make the short list. :beer:

And Williams is about to be fired by the Jags, Exile, that's why I put him on the list. We won't have to talk to them about him shortly.

~G

Fair enough. Im not on the table for any of the guys I listed. I was leaning towards guys in the front 7 because they spend more time under the hood with the interaction between the OL and the DL/LBs. Id like a guy who has a good feel for what causes confusion on the offensive line rather than someone who will just throw stuff against the wall and hope it works. But if McDermott has the best understanding of what the Eagles do, then I can easily get behind McDermott.

I think Sheridan is a little different. He has coached DLine and has been the LB coach for NY since 2005 after going there from Michigan. I like that for the reasons I mentioned above. Plus he has seen what Spagnola has brought with him from Philly.

http://www.giants.com/news/transcripts/story.asp?story_id=25739

Here is an excerpt from an August 07 interview with Sheridan where he discusses what Spagnola is bringing to Philly.

With the change of defensive coordinator, how has that affected what you guys have been doing and what people will see on the field?

I think the biggest thing that Steve (Spagnuolo) is trying to emphasize for these guys is to really have a down hill attacking mentality. I know that it might sound very trite, but he really hounds them every day when we watch the practice film. Also, how we play some of the coverages is a little bit different. There are only so many different coverages you can play and everybody plays them slightly different but they are the same types of coverages. But, it is not so much that, but just the mentality of stepping up and the downhill attacking mentality. He (Steve Spagnuolo) told these guys this the first day he came here. Hopefully, you will see some of that on Saturday.

How have they been responding to it?

They like it. It is a linebacker friendly defense. Especially how we play some of the coverages. It allows them to be more aggressive. A lot of times, linebackers can have what we refer to as a run-pass complex. They want to be really aggressive on the run, but they also have coverage responsibility up the field and so it can pull them both ways, and take something off their game. Steve has set it up, where it allows them to be very, very aggressive in the run and on the play action stuff, they kind of just fall into their coverage responsibility and being a downhill attacking mode. So, it is very linebacker friendly and they love it.

Do you like it?

I do. It all ties in. There is a system to it and once you understand it, it allows you to play aggressively. I like it a lot.

Yeah, Banker has been very effective at getting a lot out of marginal talent along the defensive line. You have to take notice of someone who can do that. And the fact that he is doing it in college where the disparity in talent can be huge, says even more. I cant remember for sure, but I think he was with Reilly when he was coaching in the pros.

BTW, if Coyer and Shanahan are still on good terms, I would have no problems bringing him back. I know its within him to generate pressure. We already know he has limitations but with our current offense, those limitations are more and more becoming something I can live with. And we also know that, in spite of those limitations, he is a significant upgrade over what we have.

Fan in Exile
12-27-2008, 12:19 PM

~G

It seems a little surprising to me that they would fire him after only a year, it's not like he's got Slowick's track record. I'm not arguing, because I don't know anything about the situation really, I'm just surprised.

BroncoWave
12-27-2008, 01:22 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when Coyer was an attractive option to be our DC. How far we've fallen. For the record, though, I don't think he would be a bad option.

yardog
12-27-2008, 04:32 PM
God I don't want to say this and I hope I'm wrong but if we win tomorrow I don't think Slowick gets fired. :tsk: Damn that just made me sick to my stomach.

LRtagger
12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
My quick choices:

~G

I'm going to keep being an advocate for Ed Donatell. I think I'm the only one of the forum who likes him, but he has a proven track record and was on our staff for the SB seasons (defensive backs coach). He also turned Green Bay's and Atlanta's defenses around and had them both in the top 15 during his tenure. He is currently the DC at the University of Washington trying to rebuild their program. I think it would be pretty easy to tempt him back to the NFL and to the team he won Super Bowls with.

2000-04 -- Defensive coordinator, Green Bay Packers
1999 - 20th
2000 - 14th
2001 - 5th
2002 - 12th
2003 - 11th
2004 - 23rd

2004-06 -- Defensive coordinator, Atlanta Falcons
2003 - 30th
2004 - 14th
2005 - 18th
2006 - 15th
2007 - 29th

The colors in RED are the years before and after Donatell's stint as DC. The numbers in GREEN are the numbers while he was the DC. The rankings are based on points allowed only.

While with the Falcons, under UW alum Jim Mora, Donatell led a defensive unit that ranked among the league leaders in several categories. His 2004 unit led the NFL by allowing its opponents a league-low 30.2 percent on third-down conversions. The Falcons also led the league in sacks for the first time in team history, won the club's third-ever division title and advanced to the NFC championship game. In 2005, his defense ranked third in the NFL with only 28 passes allowed of 20-or-more yards.

Prior to his time in Atlanta, he served four seasons as Green Bay's defensive coordinator under Mike Sherman. During his stint in Green Bay, Donatell's defense led the NFL with 144 takeaways, an average of 36 a year and led the league with 2.25 forced turnovers per game.

He began his NFL coaching career with the New York Jets in 1990 as defensive backs coach. He joined Mike Shanahan on the Denver Broncos' coaching staff in the same position in 1995 and helped lead the team to back-to-back Super Bowl wins in 1997 and 1998. He took over a secondary that ranked last in the NFL in 1994 and led them to a top 10 ranking in each of his five seasons in Denver

lex
12-27-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm going to keep being an advocate for Ed Donatell. I think I'm the only one of the forum who likes him, but he has a proven track record and was on our staff for the SB seasons (defensive backs coach). He also turned Green Bay's and Atlanta's defenses around and had them both in the top 15 during his tenure. He is currently the DC at the University of Washington trying to rebuild their program. I think it would be pretty easy to tempt him back to the NFL and to the team he won Super Bowls with.

2000-04 -- Defensive coordinator, Green Bay Packers
1999 - 20th
2000 - 14th
2001 - 5th
2002 - 12th
2003 - 11th
2004 - 23rd

2004-06 -- Defensive coordinator, Atlanta Falcons
2003 - 30th
2004 - 14th
2005 - 18th
2006 - 15th
2007 - 29th

The colors in RED are the years before and after Donatell's stint as DC. The numbers in GREEN are the numbers while he was the DC. The rankings are based on points allowed only.

Good call. He would also be better than who we currently have. Plus, there would be some nice symmetry which, I believe, Ive pointed out before.

GB:
Donatell
Slowik
Bates

Den:
Bates
Slowik
Donatell

If nothing else it might restore harmony to the universe.

Broncos Mtnman
12-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Speaking of good DC's, does anybody know how much the Chargers D has improved since Rivera got the nod as their DC? Seems like they are better but still have some issues against the pass.

Unfortunately, the appear to have gotten a little bit better. Here's where they rank (not including last week's game against the Bucs)....

Category ; First 8 (before Rivera); Next 6 (after Rivera)

Gross passing yards ; 275.3 (32) ; 223.3 (19)

Passing TDs ; 1.75 (31) ; 1.5 (23)

Passer rating ; 95.0 (26) ; 91.0 (24)

Rushing yards ; 106.5 (16) ; 98.0 (9)

Total scrimmage yards ; 381.8 (26) ; 321.3 (10)

Points allowed ; 24.9 (23) ; 17.2 (7)