PDA

View Full Version : SPANOS RANTS - It’s Tebow Time and Some Media Are Not Happy About It

Tned
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Edit/Update: For those that prefer to listen, you can hear him doing the rant on radio at his page on Mile High Sports: http://www.milehighsports.com/?page_id=586

Hey guys, here's a good read by Brandon Spano about the Tebow situation and the rampant speculation in the media about why he must fail.

Check it out.

SPANO’S RANTS
From the opinionated mind of Brandon Spano host of The Brandon Show

It’s Tebow Time and Some Media Are Not Happy About It

Why does Tim Tebow have to throw like every other quarterback in football? Why do his drop steps have to be performed in the same manner as every other quarterback? Why does he have to look better then everybody else while throwing passes to wide open receivers in a non-pressure situation during practice to compete?

These aren’t hypothetical questions; I really want to know the answers! These are all of the reasons that Tim Tebow is questioned by the so-called experts. The reasons why he is questioned by the media. And the reasons why he questioned by legendary quarterbacks like Trent Dilfer. Funny huh!

His statistics are even thrown out the window because of the way he looks when he plays. That’s right, the stat line, which happens to be the holy grail of NFL quarterback play is not even allowed to be compared when talking about Tebow because of the way that he plays. Seems kinda stupid doesn’t it? That’s because it is.

For instance, I could go over how his first three games look better than Elway’s first three did on the stat sheet. We could talk about how Tebow’s QB rating was better in the first three games of his career than Kyle Orton’s were in his first three games of this seventh season. And if I really wanted to, I could even throw out a stat that Patrick Smyth did yesterday, which of coarse is the defining stat of Tebow’s college and pro career – the fact that he has a higher touchdown percentage per play since he joined the league than any other QB in pro football. That’s right, higher than Brady, higher than Rodgers and higher than Brees.

But let me get this right, none of that stuff matters because he looks weird when he throws. Because when you compare his style of play to others that have played the position before him, it takes him milliseconds longer to do things and your speculation is that it won’t work and it might lead to turnovers via fumble or interception....

Be sure to read the rest of Brandon's article at Mile High Sports here: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=6543

horsepig
10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Good rant. He said what I've been saying all along, albeit with a little more flourish. :lol:

camdisco24
10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
I just want people to shut up and let his play speak for itself. I think Spano would agree based off this article. Good read.

vandammage13
10-13-2011, 02:11 PM
More TD's per play than any QB is pretty remarkable...

I know some of them are probably his TD runs in spot duty last year, but I don't know why it should be dismissed.

Yeah, he plays the game different with his wacky throwing motion and scrambling, and is definitely not a cookie cutter type, but none of that means he can't succeed.

Different sports, but for the sake of comparison look at a guy like Larry Bird. Couldn't run or jump and he was physically and athletically inferior to his peers...Yet he found other ways to make it work and got by on his ability to outsmart, out hustle, and just outplay his opponents..

Fred Funk is a golfer that has a swing that no golf instructor would ever teach, but it works for him and he's won tons of tournaments.

Then of course there's Steve Young who didn't play like other QB's. He ended up refining his game, but it was his ability to scramble and make plays that ultimately set him apart.

If great mechanics could make you great then Jamarcus Russel would Brady Quinn would be all-pros and Ben Roethlisberger would be playing baseball.

Tned
10-13-2011, 02:16 PM
More TD's per play than any QB is pretty remarkable...

I know some of them are probably his TD runs in spot duty last year, but I don't know why it should be dismissed.

Even though I'm not yet convinced that he's the Broncos answer at QB, I am definitely in the camp that believes he should play so that question will be answered.

On the TDs per play, we should remember that last year prior to starting the last three games, he was being used only in the RZ, which with any success (and he had plenty) would automatically inflate his TDs per play compared to QBs working all 100 yards of the field.

slim
10-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Even though I'm not yet convinced that he's the Broncos answer at QB, I am definitely in the camp that believes he should play so that question will be answered.

On the TDs per play, we should remember that last year prior to starting the last three games, he was being used only in the RZ, which with any success (and he had plenty) would automatically inflate his TDs per play compared to QBs working all 100 yards of the field.

Yeah, that stat seemed a little misleading to me as well.

But other than that, I pretty much agree with Brandon.

vandammage13
10-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Yeah if you actually read my post that you quoted, you will find that is exactly what I said.

Tned
10-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah, that stat seemed a little misleading to me as well.

But other than that, I pretty much agree with Brandon.

Ditto. It's also why I like his radio show so much. He's more in line with the fan's viewpoint, which in large part is a common sense approach to this whole mess.

Tned
10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah if you actually read my post that you quoted, you will find that is exactly what I said.

I did read it, I was just adding to it the fact that his spot duty was almost exclusively red zone. Basically, agreeing with you.

underrated29
10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
It is true, he was used in RZ a lot on some run plays....

But--Tds are still Tds and he scored them, no matter if the offense got him there or not. He did it. And is something like career redzone numbers unclud preseason 19/21 TDs-

Bullgator
10-13-2011, 03:40 PM
I posted everything this guys just said... That the hate holding TT back is speculation of what COULD happen and that no one could actually point bad play...the stats about TDs per play(which most on here laughed at)... and I even called Merril, Merril streep! I swear Spano must be reading my posts!! :D

vandammage13
10-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I did read it, I was just adding to it the fact that his spot duty was almost exclusively red zone. Basically, agreeing with you.

Got it...

I thought you were telling me to keep that in mind, as if I didn't know.

Tned
10-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Got it...

I thought you were telling me to keep that in mind, as if I didn't know.

No, it was more of a message for everyone reading, hence the "we should remember..." I'm excited to see what Tebow can be, even though it's cautious optimism. I just think stats like that can be dangerous for people that maybe didn't see the games last year or not realize that most of those TDs were putting him in for one play in the RZ where he ran a draw or off tackle/bootleg type run into the endzone.

BORDERLINE
10-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Ditto. It's also why I like his radio show so much. He's more in line with the fan's viewpoint, which in large part is a common sense approach to this whole mess.

sometimes the football experts just over think everything. I believe heart has a lot to do with how u play the game if your whole heart is in it you can accomplish anything. Maybe i'm going off topic but when I see the packer/saints and right now the lions when a player from the team is about to score and there are defenders in there way these dudes dive into that bad boy. Jump over who ever they have to, they reach for that pylon no matter what. What i'm trying to say is I see that in Tebow and most people see it too.

Tned
10-13-2011, 06:12 PM
I posted everything this guys just said... That the hate holding TT back is speculation of what COULD happen and that no one could actually point bad play...the stats about TDs per play(which most on here laughed at)... and I even called Merril, Merril streep! I swear Spano must be reading my posts!! :D

Here you go, Gator. Spano admits that he is a big fan of yours and used you as the source...

RT @BrandonSpano: @BroncosForums BTW-Tell Bully Gator I ripped off his entire Tebow stance and ran with it. Especially "Merril Streep. "Seems like a cool guy

PAINTERDAVE
10-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Tim's downfield throws..

Oh yeah.. HE CAN"T THROW the ball.. I forgot.

http://youtu.be/CnEuisuFFM8

Tned
10-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Tim's downfield throws..

Oh yeah.. HE CAN"T THROW the ball.. I forgot.

http://youtu.be/CnEuisuFFM8

Yea, Joel Klatt on 102.3 said that they don't need Lloyd and should trade him, because with Orton benched, there is no need for a deep threat receiver, since Tebow will just scramble/run or hand off to McGahee. That the Broncos will move away from a passing offense and WR is no longer an important position.

I challenged him to put his money where his mouth is and that I would bet him that Tebow's YPA would be higher than Orton's. He responded that he wouldn't doubt it, but not if Lloyd was traded. I told him I would take the bet with or without Lloyd.

weazel
10-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Championship!!!!!!

well let's just see how he does in week 7, shall we?
It will be nice to know what he can do.

Bullgator
10-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Here you go, Gator. Spano admits that he is a big fan of yours and used you as the source...

I knew it!! I got my eyes on you Spano! Now I'm going to have to ™ all my posts! :D

Bullgator
10-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Yea, Joel Klatt on 102.3 said that they don't need Lloyd and should trade him, because with Orton benched, there is no need for a deep threat receiver, since Tebow will just scramble/run or hand off to McGahee. That the Broncos will move away from a passing offense and WR is no longer an important position.

I challenged him to put his money where his mouth is and that I would bet him that Tebow's YPA would be higher than Orton's. He responded that he wouldn't doubt it, but not if Lloyd was traded. I told him I would take the bet with or without Lloyd.

his yards per pass is 12 and change... tops in the entire league. You gotta remember that TT nickles and dimes with runs until there is 8 men in the box and then exploits a cheating defense... even as a mediocre passer he will lead the league in that statline because of the threat he poses as a runner.

lgenf
10-14-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't care what his stats are, Orton had great stats last year, how'd that work out for us?

FlyByU
10-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Hey guys, here's a good read by Brandon Spano about the Tebow situation and the rampant speculation in the media about why he must fail.

Check it out.

Thanks for posting this. I have been banned on other forums for saying the same things this guy does or posting such things. It is weird how supporting Tebow can get people into trouble and I cannot figure out why.

He is correct about how two faced people/media are about the whole Tebow situation. I would like to know why people/media dislike the boy so much.

Dreadnought
10-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Good piece by Spano. He brought the pain to some gasbags and blowhards that very much deserve it. The media and self annointed expert's fixation on proving ahead of time that Tebow will fail, all while demanding he not be allowed to play, is almost like they have a creepy stalkerish fixation :D

Good Lord, thats flat out moronic. Take his money, Tned. Easiest dough you'd ever make

Tned
10-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Good piece by Spano. He brought the pain to some gasbags and blowhards that very much deserve it. The media and self annointed expert's fixation on proving ahead of time that Tebow will fail, all while demanding he not be allowed to play, is almost like they have a creepy stalkerish fixation :D

Good Lord, thats flat out moronic. Take his money, Tned. Easiest dough you'd ever make

Other than his one comment about not doubting it, unless Lloyd is traded, which is completely in contradiction with his claims of the passing game going away and not needing Lloyd, he's ignored my several tweets about taking me up on the wager.

underrated29
10-14-2011, 11:39 AM

There ya go tned. Way to be a Bowss!

jhildebrand
10-14-2011, 12:09 PM
When this is all said and done, the 11 games Tebow would/should start, I want it to be absolutely crystal clear to EFX and the entire fanbase, without any question, as to whether T2 will be our QB heading into next year. I want it to be clear that he is the QB or is not.

I don't think anybody can handle another season and offseason of this crap!

jhildebrand
10-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Klatt is a clown! He is one of the people I thought of first in your shockjocks thread.

Klatt is pissed that he aint Tebow. Klatt got schooled in Detroit, a bad no terrible team at the time, by a lesser QB.

jhildebrand
10-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Check it out.

In short we are taught growing up, at least most of us :lol:, never to judge a book by it's cover. Apparently in the NFL that doesn't apply.

Good read. I like this Spano guy. I think I will follow him more. Lord knows I am tired of my regulars as they all went overboard.

Juriga72
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
I too want to know IF we need to draft another QB. Taking a kid and sitting him as you plod to a 4-12 record...JUST cause your qb has a nice stat line was moronic.

I dont hold much hope Tebow becomes Steve Young (San Fran)... I just dont want him to be Steve Young (Tampa).

underrated29
10-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Im telling you guys he is going to be fine. He is still a rookie and will have a few string of bad games I am sure...But he will get through it like any rookie QB in the nfl does and be captain sexy pants for us. It will happen.

MeanDean
10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Im telling you guys right now. Spano is on a tear something fierce and he is killing people on air even worse than his rants. This guy shows up every night for a great energetic show and has, like I've said before, became my favorite Radio guy.

Whats really awesome is how he treats his callers. He never hangs up on them and thanks everyone of them. Also, if you hear him talking about the grumpy old man, he's referring to Sandy Clough. lol

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Are people still holding onto the "turnover prone argument"?

That's ridiculous. Tebow takes care of the ball really well. He takes more shots down the field than most young QB's, and still has a relatively low TD/INT ratio.

Tned
10-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Some Gator/Tebow fan just took Spano's whole article and posted it on a site as his own. To make matters worse, the way Spano found out was the guy contacted his show and told them he wrote for Rivals.com and covered the Gators and Tebow and wanted to come on the show. When researching him before the show, Spano found his Tebow/Media rant up on a site where this guy presented it as his own.

:laugh:

It's been taken down now, but here's a screen shot of it.

DenBronx
10-19-2011, 12:14 AM
If anyone gets a chance, go watch Skip Bayless shread Terrell Sugs on ESPN today.

"If you and Tim Tebow walked into a dark alley...Tebow would be the one walking out." :lol:

Terrell was blasting Skip because Tebow didnt win the game against the Chargers and was basically praising Cam Newton the segments before. Skip replied that Newton is 1-5!!! lol

Wow, some people in the media are sweating bullets on all of the Tebow bashing they have been doing. I think they are all about to be wrong.

I Eat Staples
10-19-2011, 12:37 AM
I don't care what his stats are, Orton had great stats last year, how'd that work out for us?

That is the most reasonable and fair post I've seen from a Tebow fan on here.

bradypats12
10-19-2011, 09:15 AM
http://www.footballnation.com/content/six-things-to-know-about-tim-tebow/9803/

Thnikkaman
10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
http://www.footballnation.com/content/six-things-to-know-about-tim-tebow/9803/

Not a bad article at all. A lot better than I expected from a Patriots fan.

vandammage13
10-19-2011, 10:23 AM
If anyone gets a chance, go watch Skip Bayless shread Terrell Sugs on ESPN today.

"If you and Tim Tebow walked into a dark alley...Tebow would be the one walking out." :lol:

Terrell was blasting Skip because Tebow didnt win the game against the Chargers and was basically praising Cam Newton the segments before. Skip replied that Newton is 1-5!!! lol

Wow, some people in the media are sweating bullets on all of the Tebow bashing they have been doing. I think they are all about to be wrong.

Is this posted online?...If so can you provide a link?

vandammage13
10-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Are people still holding onto the "turnover prone argument"?

That's ridiculous. Tebow takes care of the ball really well. He takes more shots down the field than most young QB's, and still has a relatively low TD/INT ratio.

It seems like everything they are hanging on to really has no on-field evidence to back it up.

They blast his throwing motion saying it will result in strip sacks or that CB's will have more time to react and pick him off.

Well, so far Tebow has 0 fumbles related to being stripped while throwing, and just 3 picks in 92 attempts.

These guys have cemented themselves in their position, and they continue to cling to their criticisms even though everything Tebow has done on the field thus far is exactly the opposite of what they have been predicting.

It is kind of funny how the naysayers have had to change their criticisms along the way though.

First it was he won't be drafted in the 1st round...Tebow goes in the 1st.

Then it was his throwing motion...As stated above, it hasn't been an issue.

Then it was Tebow's running skill won't translate in the NFL...Tebow has the highest TD per touch ratio in the NFL.

Then it was he's the 3rd/4th stringer...Tebow's the starter.

Mark my words, even if Tebow wins they will still say you can't win a SB with his style of play.

It will take nothing short of a SB victory for Tebow to silence his critics...They will always come up with something to protect their stance.

jhns
10-19-2011, 11:19 AM

The TDs per play may be a bit misleading but he did stay extremely productive when he actually started. If FF can be used to guage an individuls performance, it says Tebow was the best player in the last three weeks of last season. No player scored more fantasy points. The offense also played much better than it had the other 13 games of that season. He came in for half a game this season and we suddenly started scoring TDs again. That is even without any first team reps.

I am very excited to see if he can continue to produce.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Fantasy football can't really be used to gauge.

But the TDs per play is a lot misleading. Barry Sanders would lead the league in yrds, but his FB would have more rushing TDs. Barry would rush for 99 yrds, get the ball to the one and they would bring in the FB to get the 1 yard TD. Would we be correct in saying that the FB was more valuable and better than Barry Sanders?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Would we be correct in saying that the FB was more valuable and better than Barry Sanders?

It wouldn't be any more correct to say that than it would be to say getting TD's in the NFL is easy.

NightTerror218
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
I am hoping Tebow has a game like his last Orange Bowl and people try to hate him on a performance like that. I think he had 300 in air and 200 on ground. He dominated, I personally dont want to see him with that many rushing yards but that dominance and all would be nice.

Tned
10-19-2011, 12:59 PM
The TDs per play may be a bit misleading but he did stay extremely productive when he actually started. If FF can be used to guage an individuls performance, it says Tebow was the best player in the last three weeks of last season. No player scored more fantasy points. The offense also played much better than it had the other 13 games of that season. He came in for half a game this season and we suddenly started scoring TDs again. That is even without any first team reps.

I am very excited to see if he can continue to produce.

I just finished watching every pass Tebow threw in 2010, as I'm writing a new Tned's Take (sorry guys).

While I do think the TD's per touch is a little deceptive, because of the redzone TD runs (and one TD) in the six games before he started, it's also worth noting that he had an 8 yard per attempt average, which was better than eight of the top ten passers last year (albeit on a much smaller sample size of only three games).

jhns
10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I just finished watching every pass Tebow threw in 2010, as I'm writing a new Tned's Take (sorry guys).

While I do think the TD's per touch is a little deceptive, because of the redzone TD runs (and one TD) in the six games before he started, it's also worth noting that he had an 8 yard per attempt average, which was better than eight of the top ten passers last year (albeit on a much smaller sample size of only three games).

I've watched those games several times and it always made me question the extreme doubters who say he will never be good. It also makes me question the choice to start Orton this season. Tebow throws a very good deep ball and has proven he can run in the NFL. He still needs a lot of work on shorter, quick passes. If he can get the quick timing passes down, he will be great in this league.

I wasn't a fan of him when he was drafted. He has been extremely productive in all of his games though. I hope it continues. If not, we will probably be in position to get a top QB in the draft.

echobravo
10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
That the media has a love-on for Cam Cam and a hate fest for T squared is interesting. Also their very real dislike for T squared is something you usually find for a player who is charged with cruelty to animals (oh, wait Mike Vick, nevermind.) Is accused of sexual assault twice (oh wait, Big Ben, nevermind) Or is accused of murder (oh wait, Ray Lewis, nevermind). On second thought I have no idea why the thought of T squared playing is such a personal affront to these guys. Would almost think he had slept with the sister of every NFL analyst:) Is this payback for the hype surrounding him in college?

Tned
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
That the media has a love-on for Cam Cam and a hate fest for T squared is interesting. Also their very real dislike for T squared is something you usually find for a player who is charged with cruelty to animals (oh, wait Mike Vick, nevermind.) Is accused of sexual assault twice (oh wait, Big Ben, nevermind) Or is accused of murder (oh wait, Ray Lewis, nevermind). On second thought I have no idea why the thought of T squared playing is such a personal affront to these guys. Would almost think he had slept with the sister of every NFL analyst:) Is this payback for the hype surrounding him in college?

Isn't T squared just T? :confused:

Anyway, to the question. My personal belief is that it's a backlash to the hype surrounding him since he's been drafted. His fans are about as fanatical as they get. Calls into radio shows about how he's going to be better than Elway, Marino, etc. How he's a shoe in for the hall of fame. How the Broncos should have started him as a rookie and the Broncos would be in the playoffs. On and on. Fans comparing his college stats to NFL QB's stats.

I think that the 'noise' around Tebow and the calls, emails and other fanatical love has resulted in digging in of the heels by many experts. Don't get me wrong, I think there is some VERY real concern about his ability to transition to a starting NFL quarterback, but I think if it wasn't for the fanatical fan following, he wouldn't be as much of a story, period, and the backlash by many in the media wouldn't be as great.

That's my thought. I could be totally off base, but that's what I've attributed it to.

echobravo
10-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Isn't T squared just T? :confused:

T squared is another way of saying TT, you know 2x2 is the same as 2 squared. Just being a goof with my posts about Tebow.

Tned
10-19-2011, 05:41 PM
T squared is another way of saying TT, you know 2x2 is the same as 2 squared. Just being a goof with my posts about Tebow.

I know, I was just playing with you. It's just that all the nicknames are longer and harder to type than TT, which I find funny. On the not so funny side, I think it's all of this "we must do things different for Tebow" that in part is what the media is reacting to.

echobravo
10-19-2011, 05:44 PM
You make a fair point. There has been a lot of this "golden child" treatment of TT by the fans.

Tned
10-19-2011, 05:51 PM
You make a fair point. There has been a lot of this "golden child" treatment of TT by the fans.

It's not that there is anything wrong about being excited about Tebow. I vacillate between being excited and thinking, "oh boy, what have the Broncos done."

It's the volume and degree of the excitement that has gotten to a lot of "Broncos" fans and media types.

FlyByU
10-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Actually a O should be built around the Starting QB not forcing the QB to play like someone he isn't.

Also TT has 3 starts he's not an 8 year Vet so yeah kid gloves go to young QB's. Elway got that kind of care also when he started out. And he eventually got an O built to his strengths, and that lead to how many SB's?

Tned
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Actually a O should be built around the Starting QB not forcing the QB to play like someone he isn't.

Also TT has 3 starts he's not an 8 year Vet so yeah kid gloves go to young QB's. Elway got that kind of care also when he started out. And he eventually got an O built to his strengths, and that lead to how many SB's?

After a team built to his strengths? Two. The first three Super Bowls were under a stubborn coach that neither had a team built to his strengths or a game plan. So, instead it went, run, run, run, punt, run, run, hey John, make a big play and bail us out, TD, run, run, run, punt.

Cugel
10-19-2011, 06:07 PM
The reason why critics don't believe in Tebow is that there's a certain way QBs are successful in the NFL and that's the only way. Is there a Tebow way? No.

Why not? Why not use him in a spread offense and "let Tebow be Tebow."

So, is there a right way to be a pocket passing QB and a wrong way? John Elway seems to think so, which is why he keeps saying "Tim is very, very raw." He thinks that mechanics count because the way you position your body determines where the ball goes. It's like in golf. If you're not lined up properly, you will slice every time.

Why not let him run around and "make plays?"

Because you are paying him $7 million this year (and a lot more if he becomes the Franchise QB). And NFL teams don't want their $9-15 million QB running around in space 10-15 times a game while Ray Lewis or Clay Matthews or Troy Polomalu lines up a kill shot on the guy.

He's a tough guy and can take a hit, but the more he runs, the more hits he will take. The more he's hit the greater the chance of injury. And then that $10+ million investment is sitting in the training room instead of leading the team to the playoffs.

It's a "business model" mentality. The fans just want to see Tebow running around and "making plays" because it's exciting. The bean counters are unhappy.

Imagine you are watching a $500,000 Lamborgini racing around in city traffic. Exciting to watch, exciting to ride along. But, if you're the owner or the company which insured that car are you happy? No. You're worried about collisions and potential liability coverage and what if someone dents that side panel?

If you've got a financial stake involved you don't want to see that Lambo driving around at 80 mph in city traffic.

And the NFL experts are reflecting that reality. NFL teams are not going to LET "Tebow be Tebow." Not for long.

It's not just that Tebow CAN'T succeed if he can't be a great drop back passer from under center, it's that the NFL just isn't going to let him. He's making too much money to risk that investment in that way. Maybe for 11 games you hold your breath and take the "experiment" because you have no choice.

But, is EFX going to commit to Tebow running a spread offense as their base offense? No. Never in a thousand years. He'll either adapt to running the standard NFL style offense or he'll be cut/traded/gone. :coffee:

Ravage!!!
10-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Tebow's strengths are running the ball. Not sure you are building to the QBs strengths if you build to run the ball.

NightTerror218
10-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Fox said he is going to let Tebow be Tebow......sounds like scramble when he wants to to me and QB draws for first downs. The thing Cugel is that he doesnt take that many hits for running, he takes more hits when he is actually sacked then when rushing. Because he runs out of bounds for the 1st down. As for the QB model....go read Tneds post.

BTW you dont buy a lambo to sit in the garage you taked it out and have drive it for fun.
You let tebow out of the garage and let him do his thing but you do smart things with him like teach him to slide and run out of bounds.

FlyByU
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
After a team built to his strengths? Two. The first three Super Bowls were under a stubborn coach that neither had a team built to his strengths or a game plan. So, instead it went, run, run, run, punt, run, run, hey John, make a big play and bail us out, TD, run, run, run, punt.

I should of put SB's Won You are right Dan didn't work with Elway like he should have but when Shanny came in he built the O around Elway and that was a Back to Back SB wins. Dan not working with Elway was IIRC the reason he got fired and Shanny hired.

Tned
10-20-2011, 12:31 PM
For those that prefer to listen than read, you can hear him doing the rant on radio at his page on Mile High Sports: http://www.milehighsports.com/?page_id=586

He also has a couple interviews up there you might want to check out.

Cugel
10-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Fox said he is going to let Tebow be Tebow......sounds like scramble when he wants to to me and QB draws for first downs. The thing Cugel is that he doesnt take that many hits for running, he takes more hits when he is actually sacked then when rushing. Because he runs out of bounds for the 1st down. As for the QB model....go read Tneds post.

BTW you dont buy a lambo to sit in the garage you taked it out and have drive it for fun.

You let tebow out of the garage and let him do his thing but you do smart things with him like teach him to slide and run out of bounds.

Wrong. Just flat wrong. And as for the "QB model" a lot of stats that don't mean anything. Not impressed. :coffee:

I think there are too many people who think that stats tell you something significant. I suppose that's because all too many fans are into fantasy football. :coffee:

BTW: The guy who gets to DRIVE the Lambo wants to have fun. The guy who INSURES the Lambo against dents and pays to have it in the shop does NOT want him to "have fun" driving around in traffic.

And it flat doesn't matter that Tim "learns how to slide." The more times he runs the more times he will be hit. And it's just a matter of simple statistics after that.

Pick any odds you like. If on any given run his chances of getting hurt are 1% then if he runs ten times a game his chances of getting hurt running at some point during the season are close to 100%. And this risk of course is in addition to the normal risk of QB injury that you get just standing back in the pocket or running when the play breaks down and you have no choice.

Add that in over the course of a career and you have too many games lost to injury for any NFL team to be happy.

If you're earning $10 million a year that's $625,000 per game. Miss 2 or three games with injuries and you're costing the team somewhere between $1 and $2 million.

And believe me they notice a thing like that. Injuries are a part of life in the NFL anyway, but that simply makes MINIMIZING RISK more important not less. :coffee:

But watch and learn! See if they "let Tebow run around and be Tebow." He's already said that they are running basically the same offense they had with Kyle Orton, with basically adding some plays that Tebow does better than Orton, and probably deducting a few that Orton liked that Tebow doesn't do well.

They're NOT installing a Tebow-oriented offense and they aren't going to! :coffee:

FlyByU
10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
For those that prefer to listen than read, you can hear him doing the rant on radio at his page on Mile High Sports: http://www.milehighsports.com/?page_id=586

He also has a couple interviews up there you might want to check out.

Thanks for the link it sounds much better then it reads LOL.

horsepig
10-20-2011, 07:10 PM

It worked pretty damned well, didn't it T.

horsepig
10-20-2011, 07:16 PM
The reason why critics don't believe in Tebow is that there's a certain way QBs are successful in the NFL and that's the only way. Is there a Tebow way? No.

Why not? Why not use him in a spread offense and "let Tebow be Tebow."

So, is there a right way to be a pocket passing QB and a wrong way? John Elway seems to think so, which is why he keeps saying "Tim is very, very raw." He thinks that mechanics count because the way you position your body determines where the ball goes. It's like in golf. If you're not lined up properly, you will slice every time.

Why not let him run around and "make plays?"

Because you are paying him $7 million this year (and a lot more if he becomes the Franchise QB). And NFL teams don't want their $9-15 million QB running around in space 10-15 times a game while Ray Lewis or Clay Matthews or Troy Polomalu lines up a kill shot on the guy.

He's a tough guy and can take a hit, but the more he runs, the more hits he will take. The more he's hit the greater the chance of injury. And then that $10+ million investment is sitting in the training room instead of leading the team to the playoffs.

It's a "business model" mentality. The fans just want to see Tebow running around and "making plays" because it's exciting. The bean counters are unhappy.

Imagine you are watching a $500,000 Lamborgini racing around in city traffic. Exciting to watch, exciting to ride along. But, if you're the owner or the company which insured that car are you happy? No. You're worried about collisions and potential liability coverage and what if someone dents that side panel?

If you've got a financial stake involved you don't want to see that Lambo driving around at 80 mph in city traffic.

And the NFL experts are reflecting that reality. NFL teams are not going to LET "Tebow be Tebow." Not for long.

It's not just that Tebow CAN'T succeed if he can't be a great drop back passer from under center, it's that the NFL just isn't going to let him. He's making too much money to risk that investment in that way. Maybe for 11 games you hold your breath and take the "experiment" because you have no choice.

But, is EFX going to commit to Tebow running a spread offense as their base offense? No. Never in a thousand years. He'll either adapt to running the standard NFL style offense or he'll be cut/traded/gone. :coffee:

Steve Young.

Who, by the way, criticizes the Hell out of Tebow. Stevie boy must have just completely forgotten his first few years. :lol:

horsepig
10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Wrong. Just flat wrong. And as for the "QB model" a lot of stats that don't mean anything. Not impressed. :coffee:

I think there are too many people who think that stats tell you something significant. I suppose that's because all too many fans are into fantasy football. :coffee:

BTW: The guy who gets to DRIVE the Lambo wants to have fun. The guy who INSURES the Lambo against dents and pays to have it in the shop does NOT want him to "have fun" driving around in traffic.

And it flat doesn't matter that Tim "learns how to slide." The more times he runs the more times he will be hit. And it's just a matter of simple statistics after that.

Pick any odds you like. If on any given run his chances of getting hurt are 1% then if he runs ten times a game his chances of getting hurt running at some point during the season are close to 100%. And this risk of course is in addition to the normal risk of QB injury that you get just standing back in the pocket or running when the play breaks down and you have no choice.

Add that in over the course of a career and you have too many games lost to injury for any NFL team to be happy.

If you're earning $10 million a year that's $625,000 per game. Miss 2 or three games with injuries and you're costing the team somewhere between $1 and $2 million.

And believe me they notice a thing like that. Injuries are a part of life in the NFL anyway, but that simply makes MINIMIZING RISK more important not less. :coffee:

But watch and learn! See if they "let Tebow run around and be Tebow." He's already said that they are running basically the same offense they had with Kyle Orton, with basically adding some plays that Tebow does better than Orton, and probably deducting a few that Orton liked that Tebow doesn't do well.

They're NOT installing a Tebow-oriented offense and they aren't going to! :coffee:

Cug, sometimes you have to play the hand you're dealt. It all reminds me of the cajones it took for Nimitz to send the Yorktown out after a few days in dry dock (after his repair crews told him would take at least three months to get her seaworthy) and to throw every thing we had at the Japs at Midway.

Later Bull Halsey pulled back the 7'th fleet, who were schduled to resupply the marines and Halsey withdrew for fear of losing "assets" to bad weather. Thanks to Nimitz, Halsey was never heard from again.

For Christ's sake boys, throw the kitchen sink at'em! Damn the ******* torpedos, full speed ahead, and get the ******* whiners below decks, thank you very much!

Dreadnought
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Cug, sometimes you have to play the hand you're dealt. It all reminds me of the cajones it took for Nimitz to send the Yorktown out after a few days in dry dock (after his repair crews told him would take at least three months to get her seaworthy) and to throw every thing we had at the Japs at Midway.

Later Bull Halsey pulled back the 7'th fleet, who were schduled to resupply the marines and Halsey withdrew for fear of losing "assets" to bad weather. Thanks to Nimitz, Halsey was never heard from again.

For Christ's sake boys, throw the kitchen sink at'em! Damn the ******* torpedos, full speed ahead, and get the ******* whiners below decks, thank you very much!

:salute: Props for the Yorktown at Midway reference. Carry on.