PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan, Turner in pressure cooker

Nature Boy
12-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Mike Shanahan and Norv Turner to be fired? Never gonna happen but it's something to read I guess.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11307158

--------------------------------------------------------
He used to be Mike Shanahan, master of the NFL's domain. Now he's just another beleaguered coach trying to avoid going down in history as the first man in the Super Bowl era to blow a three-game lead with three regular-season games to play.

"I don't sleep very well after losses," Shanahan said Wednesday.

Considering the injuries to cornerback Champ Bailey and any running back who so much as touches a football for Denver, it could be argued these young Broncos have played over their heads to win eight times.

But after blowing a big lead in the division, will the success or failure of this team be measured by whether Denver finds a way to stop the slide in San Diego?

"Absolutely," Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall said.

The thing is, Shanahan has been playing with house money for 10 years.

Since quarterback John Elway retired a decade ago, the Broncos have won exactly one playoff game, or three fewer than the Raiders have won during the same time frame.

Lose to the Chargers and Denver would miss the postseason in three straight years for the first time since 1982.

In a disturbing recent trend of fast starts based on Shana- han's preseason preparation and innovative game-planning only to end in sputtering finishes that reveal serious talent flaws on his roster, the Broncos have lost eight of their last 13 games played during December.

For anyone other than Shanahan, that lack of production could get a coach fired.

Quite frankly, maybe Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is so indebted to a coach who won this franchise two league championships and built a shiny new stadium that there is really no such thing as a must-win game in Denver anymore.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nature Boy
12-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Nothing here no avid Broncos fan doesn't already know but with the addition of Norv Turner sharing the hot seat just adds more to the "fire Mike Shanahan" topic.

I am totally against firing Mike Shanahan BTW, there just isn't a better replacement. Although Coach Shanahan's biggest mistake which put the Broncos into this predicament was pulling out Jake Plummer too early, causing us to miss the playoffs in 2006 and firing Def. Cord. Larry Coyer that off season.

Yes, everyone is gonna dog pile me for saying we shouldn't have put Cutler in so soon but think about it. Jake Plummer would have beaten the Seahawks where Cutler lost in his 1st start. Plummer would have beaten the Niners where Cutler also lost causing us to miss the playoffs in 2006.

Yes, it's all hindsight but that is what a football forum is for, discussion.

topscribe
12-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Apparently, Kiszla is running out of things to write about.

He seems to be reaching a new low . . .

-----

Nature Boy
12-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree but putting Norv Turner into the pressure pot widens the perspective and gives us bored and frustrated Broncos fans something to talk about.

Shazam!
12-25-2008, 11:34 PM
The truth is if Mike Shanahan coached for 31 other teams he would have been fired. I know, I know the same 'ole story, 'There's nobody to replace him with.'

Shanahan took over a 7-9 Broncos team with some talent and one of the best QBs in history. In less than 20 years, Bill Parcells has turned around three 1-15 trainwrecks into Playoff contenders and winning teams in ONE SEASON. There is no evidence Mike Shanahan can ever do something like that. None.

I can totally understand why anyone wants to keep Shanahan or fire him. I understand both sides and I am mixed on the issue. I look forward to a future with a new Coach one day, and seeing how he will try to build this team in the future. But in my opinion, he's running out of time. If he is back in 2009 and I think he will, if Denver doesn't come up big Bowen will make him resign.

Shazam!
12-25-2008, 11:40 PM
By the way, the article refers to Norv Turner's job, not the Broncos' RB Coach.

Nature Boy
12-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Who cares about Norv Turner? That is why I edited that part out on the actual post. The link is there if you want to read the complete article.

BroncoTech
12-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I've seen a couple beat writers and some on ESPN saying Shanny is on the hot seat. He's not on the hottest seat though. Some say Kube's job is on the block, there's our replacement right there.

I think Andy Ried, Herm or Mangini will get the axe before Shanny. How about Wade Phillips, he should go in Dallas, just on general purpose. One thing for sure, Miami, Atlanta and Ravens are happy with their young coaches.

I'd say give Shannahan another chance with a healthy team one more season.

Shazam!
12-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Who cares about Norv Turner? That is why I edited that part out on the actual post. The link is there if you want to read the complete article.

Your OP talks as if Bobby Turner is part of the article and he isn't. IF Shanahan was the be dismissed or resign, if he didn't leave on his own he'd be one of the assistants who had a chance at being retained.

Superchop 7
12-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Bottom line is this,

We are on the way back up.

Get the running backs healthy,

Geat a stud d lineman,(free agent) Aaron Curry, and Louis Delmas. (Draft)

Put Woodyard at SS, Larsen at MLB.

Then tell me what Kizla has to say.

Superchop 7
12-26-2008, 01:31 AM
Draft role players and developmental squad nominees (for depth)

Jarron Gilbert, Nic Harris, Will Vandesteeg, Herb Donaldson, Daniel Holtzclaw, Travis McCall, Jake Ingram, Myron Pryor, Jasper Brinkley, Nate Ness.

This team had holes.

Once they are filled, they are filled.

Keep the faith.

Fan in Exile
12-26-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm sick to death of these stories about late season collapses. We have the same record in the second half of the season that we do in the first half. It's all crap, and people like Kisla who don't do any research/thinking just perpetuate ignorance.

Bill Parcells 2 super Bowl wins and a .569 winning percentage. Mike Shanahan 2 Super Bowl wins and a .601 winning percentage. I'll take Shanny over Parcells any day.

BroncoJoe
12-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Article doesn't refer to Bobby Turner once. Nice fabrication, NatureBoy.

tomjonesrocks
12-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Shanny's on the hot seat my ass.

NightTrainLayne
12-26-2008, 11:55 AM
The truth is if Mike Shanahan coached for 31 other teams he would have been fired. I know, I know the same 'ole story, 'There's nobody to replace him with.'

Shanahan took over a 7-9 Broncos team with some talent and one of the best QBs in history. In less than 20 years, Bill Parcells has turned around three 1-15 trainwrecks into Playoff contenders and winning teams in ONE SEASON. There is no evidence Mike Shanahan can ever do something like that. None.

I can totally understand why anyone wants to keep Shanahan or fire him. I understand both sides and I am mixed on the issue. I look forward to a future with a new Coach one day, and seeing how he will try to build this team in the future. But in my opinion, he's running out of time. If he is back in 2009 and I think he will, if Denver doesn't come up big Bowen will make him resign.

I'm so tired of hearing these references to Parcells, and his "astounding" turnarounds.

I mean, really. How hard is it to improve a 1-15 team? There's hardly any way to get worse.

And let's look. . .since our last Superbowl appearance (the same time frame we are all lamenting), Parcells has made a grand total of 2 playoff appearance, losing the first game in the wild-card round both times.

omac
12-26-2008, 12:22 PM

Although Coach Shanahan's biggest mistake which put the Broncos into this predicament was pulling out Jake Plummer too early, causing us to miss the playoffs in 2006 and firing Def. Cord. Larry Coyer that off season.

Yes, everyone is gonna dog pile me for saying we shouldn't have put Cutler in so soon but think about it. Jake Plummer would have beaten the Seahawks where Cutler lost in his 1st start. Plummer would have beaten the Niners where Cutler also lost causing us to miss the playoffs in 2006.

Yes, it's all hindsight but that is what a football forum is for, discussion.

I agree that firing Coyer was a mistake ... our defenses have been far, far worse since he left.

On Plummer, that's pure speculation, but Jake's performance during the SF game was terrible. He was 0-2 passing, including an INT. In the one FG scoring drive Jake was involved in (after Cutler got concussed), he was 0-1 passing, was sacked 3 yards, and rushed 3 yards; the heavy lifting was done by Mike Bell for 46 yards in one carry.

On Cutler's 1st drive, he passed for 44 of the 45 yards gained. His 1st 2 drives had the Broncos in long FG range (35 and 37 yard line, for 52 and 54 yards), but the Broncos punted.

When Cutler came back in the 2nd half, his 3rd pass was immediately intercepted for a TD. Next drive, though, Cutler leads them to the 4 yard line for a FG with 61 yards passing (though they started at the 50, there were penalties bringing them back).

Next drive, Cutler passes 15 yards to Tatum Bell, but Bell fumbles and loses the ball.

Next drive, Cutler goes 3 and out.

Next drive, with Denver down by 7, Denver starts at the Den 20. Cutler leads them 80 yards culminating in a passing TD ... Jay Cutler passed for 73 yards in this drive.

Broncos lost in overtime, but in the 1st overtime drive, Cutler was 2-for-2 passing, getting a first down, but then the Broncos went, run-run-run-punt.

On the 2nd drive, they ran then passed for a 1st down, then they got penalized and had 2nd and 13 and 3rd and 13, where Cutler missed both deep passes.

To say Jake would've won this game, after the way he'd been playing during this game and most of the season, is pure unfounded speculation.

Nature Boy
12-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Article doesn't refer to Bobby Turner once. Nice fabrication, NatureBoy.

Read the darn article in the link. I edited out what I thought was most interesting and only Mike Shanahan interest me.

Your OP talks as if Bobby Turner is part of the article and he isn't. IF Shanahan was the be dismissed or resign, if he didn't leave on his own he'd be one of the assistants who had a chance at being retained.

Read the article and blame Mark Kizla, not me. I simply cut and pasted.

Nature Boy
12-26-2008, 01:21 PM
I agree that firing Coyer was a mistake ... our defenses have been far, far worse since he left.

On Plummer, that's pure speculation, but Jake's performance during the SF game was terrible. He was 0-2 passing, including an INT. In the one FG scoring drive Jake was involved in (after Cutler got concussed), he was 0-1 passing, was sacked 3 yards, and rushed 3 yards; the heavy lifting was done by Mike Bell for 46 yards in one carry.

On Cutler's 1st drive, he passed for 44 of the 45 yards gained. His 1st 2 drives had the Broncos in long FG range (35 and 37 yard line, for 52 and 54 yards), but the Broncos punted.

When Cutler came back in the 2nd half, his 3rd pass was immediately intercepted for a TD. Next drive, though, Cutler leads them to the 4 yard line for a FG with 61 yards passing (though they started at the 50, there were penalties bringing them back).

Next drive, Cutler passes 15 yards to Tatum Bell, but Bell fumbles and loses the ball.

Next drive, Cutler goes 3 and out.

Next drive, with Denver down by 7, Denver starts at the Den 20. Cutler leads them 80 yards culminating in a passing TD ... Jay Cutler passed for 73 yards in this drive.

Broncos lost in overtime, but in the 1st overtime drive, Cutler was 2-for-2 passing, getting a first down, but then the Broncos went, run-run-run-punt.

On the 2nd drive, they ran then passed for a 1st down, then they got penalized and had 2nd and 13 and 3rd and 13, where Cutler missed both deep passes.

To say Jake would've won this game, after the way he'd been playing during this game and most of the season, is pure unfounded speculation.

Bottom line is we lost the Niners game which would have sent us into the playoffs with Cutler starting and playing most.

It's pure speculation but it's an easy one to make about the Seattle game.
Plummer would have easily won that game which was a close one. Our defense did it's job in holding Hasselback to a weak outing but it was Cutler's lousy rookie debut that cost us the playoffs that year.

Did you guys forget the pick-6 that Cutler gave up as he heave the wounded duck in the air as he was being pulled by a defender? Did you guys forget the deer in the head lights look on Cutler's face when he took the field? He looked shell shocked the whole game.

Jake Plummer would have took us to the playoffs that year. Whether we would have gone past the 1st round is a different story. Still, we would have made the playoffs. Something Jay Cutler likely will not do til next season.

Fan in Exile
12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
I can't believe that we are having a Jay/Jake debate. Jake is gone let's move on.

Slick
12-26-2008, 01:25 PM
I can't believe that we are having a Jay/Jake debate. Jake is gone let's move on.

Agreed...and I'm still trying to find where Bobby Turner fits in all of this. Maybe I'm just illiterate.

Nature Boy
12-26-2008, 01:25 PM

Slow news day.

shank
12-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Agreed...and I'm still trying to find where Bobby Turner fits in all of this. Maybe I'm just illiterate.

it's not you that's illiterate slick :salute:

Scarface
12-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I couldn't find anything about Bobby Turner in the article. Does this place have a Septic Tank?

Nature Boy
12-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Oh no! not the dreaded Scareface... he thought he was the owner of BroncosFreak.com.

Chidoze
12-26-2008, 04:15 PM
The article is about Mike Shanahan and NORV Turner.....not Bobby Turner :coffee:

Max Power
12-26-2008, 04:32 PM
That's a relief. I like Bobby Turner.

BroncoWave
12-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Oh no! not the dreaded Scareface... he thought he was the owner of BroncosFreak.com.

Email Mark Kizla and bitch to him about his misleading article heading Bobby Turner. I'm just the cut and paster.

You're the one who typed "Bobby Turner" in the first line of your post. His name was mentioned nowhere in the article. Quit blaming Kisla for this line in your post:

"Mike Shanahan and Bobby Turner to be fired? Never gonna happen but it's something to read I guess."

You're the one who typed that, not him.

Nature Boy
12-26-2008, 04:58 PM
You're right. My haste on that one.

Lonestar
12-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I have not had time to read the thread but have to say, I'd have fired Mikey the HC/GM along time ago..

AS an OC not many better but him having complete charge in all phases of the football ops.. Not a chance.. While the drafting be done the past 3-4 years has been very good I have to wonder if it is a matter of almost any warm body being better than the older veterans and FA we have had manning the team since John retired..

Mikey has been a monumental failure at drafting prior to 2006 with eh exceptions of LB and a couple of RB's OLINE has been good cause we have been able to get away with scrubs that no one else wanted.

But beyond that his prize trade in Champ is about the only player acquisitions that is worth talking about..

a brilliant OC and play caller but I think being a micro-manager and so much non talent at assistants, he just has to much on his plate to do his best on offense..

Keep him as HC but place a GM in charge of drafting and Defense for now..see if that make a difference..

omac
12-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Bottom line is we lost the Niners game which would have sent us into the playoffs with Cutler starting and playing most.

It's pure speculation but it's an easy one to make about the Seattle game.
Plummer would have easily won that game which was a close one. Our defense did it's job in holding Hasselback to a weak outing but it was Cutler's lousy rookie debut that cost us the playoffs that year.

Did you guys forget the pick-6 that Cutler gave up as he heave the wounded duck in the air as he was being pulled by a defender? Did you guys forget the deer in the head lights look on Cutler's face when he took the field? He looked shell shocked the whole game.

Jake Plummer would have took us to the playoffs that year. Whether we would have gone past the 1st round is a different story. Still, we would have made the playoffs. Something Jay Cutler likely will not do til next season.

You said Plummer would've won the Seattle and 49er games. I brought up the actual stuff that did happen in the 49ers game, since after Cutler got concussed, Jake had a chance to take over and win the game for us, but he played pretty bad. To be fair, Shanny didn't give him much of a chance; they were calling primarily run plays when Jake was in the lineup, and Jake wasn't able to play much during the game, so who knows if he could've gotten hot later on. I guess what sealed his fate for the game was throwing the pick on his 2nd pass attempt; after that, they rather went with a woozy Cutler after the half.

Plummer might have won this game or the Seattle game, or he might have lost both. Pure speculation, specially the way he was playing for the season. He had 11 TDs and 13 INTs and a QB rating of 68.8; he was the 28th ranked QB in the league.

Again, despite how poorly Jake played during this season, he still could've won or lost both game. Pure unfounded speculation.

You brought up 2 points; I agreed with one (about firing Coyer), and disagreed with the other. I'm not going to continue with this JayxJake side thread, though. :cheers:

BroncoWave
12-26-2008, 09:40 PM

That's a load of crap. If he had done what he had done this season with a team like the Lions, Cardinals, Texans, or Browns this season he'd probably be getting an extension. Now I know that's not saying much but you are wrong in saying that he's get fired on any other team. I honestly don't know what you expect the man to do when he has SIXTEEN players on injured reserve and at least that much on this week's injury report. That's more that half the damn team with some sort of injury. I know some people say injuries aren't an excuse but with the amount of them we have had this season, I'd say it's a pretty damn good excuse. The fact that we are even 8-7 just proves how GOOD of a coach he his, not how bad.

omac
12-26-2008, 09:46 PM
I have not had time to read the thread but have to say, I'd have fired Mikey the HC/GM along time ago..

AS an OC not many better but him having complete charge in all phases of the football ops.. Not a chance.. While the drafting be done the past 3-4 years has been very good I have to wonder if it is a matter of almost any warm body being better than the older veterans and FA we have had manning the team since John retired..

Mikey has been a monumental failure at drafting prior to 2006 with eh exceptions of LB and a couple of RB's OLINE has been good cause we have been able to get away with scrubs that no one else wanted.

But beyond that his prize trade in Champ is about the only player acquisitions that is worth talking about..

a brilliant OC and play caller but I think being a micro-manager and so much non talent at assistants, he just has to much on his plate to do his best on offense..

Keep him as HC but place a GM in charge of drafting and Defense for now..see if that make a difference..

Well, in the case of Cutler, Clady, Harris, Royal, Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis, even Kuper .... the way they've been playing, they'd make a big impact for any team. I will give you that in the case of drafting defense, yes, I'm not convinced that they'd start for another team; they do make the veteran starters look pretty bad compared to them, but that doesn't mean they're that good. I think we'd both rather find out than see Webster in the lineup. :cheers:

The Broncos have been drafting offense extremely well. Now if only we can make a deal with a team that knows defense but sucks at offense, such that we'll draft all offensive players, they'll draft all defensive players, then we can make straight up trades to ensure we both get quality personnel. :D

Nature Boy
12-26-2008, 10:42 PM
You said Plummer would've won the Seattle and 49er games. I brought up the actual stuff that did happen in the 49ers game, since after Cutler got concussed, Jake had a chance to take over and win the game for us, but he played pretty bad. To be fair, Shanny didn't give him much of a chance; they were calling primarily run plays when Jake was in the lineup, and Jake wasn't able to play much during the game, so who knows if he could've gotten hot later on. I guess what sealed his fate for the game was throwing the pick on his 2nd pass attempt; after that, they rather went with a woozy Cutler after the half.

Plummer might have won this game or the Seattle game, or he might have lost both. Pure speculation, specially the way he was playing for the season. He had 11 TDs and 13 INTs and a QB rating of 68.8; he was the 28th ranked QB in the league.

Again, despite how poorly Jake played during this season, he still could've won or lost both game. Pure unfounded speculation.

You brought up 2 points; I agreed with one (about firing Coyer), and disagreed with the other. I'm not going to continue with this JayxJake side thread, though. :cheers:

Oh Jake Plummer definitely would have won the Seattle game in 2006 and that is an easy speculation to make. The final score was 23-20 Seattle.

I'll never forget the look in Cutler's face in his NFL debut. Deer in Head light analogy.

Then there was the pick-6 that any old veteran QB wouldn't have made.

Greatspirits
12-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Shanny's had 10 Years! and hasn't done squat!! We see the same old choke job in Nov. and Dec. every year! Will it ever change? I doubt it.

Lonestar
12-26-2008, 11:04 PM
That's a load of crap. If he had done what he had done this season with a team like the Lions, Cardinals, Texans, or Browns this season he'd probably be getting an extension. Now I know that's not saying much but you are wrong in saying that he's get fired on any other team. I honestly don't know what you expect the man to do when he has SIXTEEN players on injured reserve and at least that much on this week's injury report. That's more that half the damn team with some sort of injury. I know some people say injuries aren't an excuse but with the amount of them we have had this season, I'd say it's a pretty damn good excuse. The fact that we are even 8-7 just proves how GOOD of a coach he his, not how bad.

just for what it is worth I think Belichick has even more on IR than we do if that is the case and considering he lost perhaps the best QB in the NFL and still has amuch better record than we do..

Would you also be giving mikey a free ride considering the really lousy teams we lost to this year?

BroncoWave
12-26-2008, 11:24 PM
just for what it is worth I think Belichick has even more on IR than we do if that is the case and considering he lost perhaps the best QB in the NFL and still has amuch better record than we do..

Would you also be giving mikey a free ride considering the really lousy teams we lost to this year?

So we should get rid of Shanny because he's not as good a coach as Belichick? :lol:

Lonestar
12-27-2008, 02:58 AM
So we should get rid of Shanny because he's not as good a coach as Belichick? :lol:

Belichick in is a great coach players like playing in NE.. NE has it crap together good drafts player acquisitions and they win in spite of even more injuries than we have had..

What do you think?..

I think mikey has to much on his plate and in order for him to get better he needs to get rid of some of it..

omac
12-27-2008, 06:44 AM
Belichick in is a great coach players like playing in NE.. NE has it crap together good drafts player acquisitions and they win in spite of even more injuries than we have had..

What do you think?..

I think mikey has to much on his plate and in order for him to get better he needs to get rid of some of it..

Shanny has offloaded a lot of his responsibilities; the new front office guys who replaced Ted for the draft; young Bates calling the offensive plays; he tried to give the older Bates autonomy with the defense, until it went horribly wrong.

The recent drafts have brought about some high impact, offensive players that could start for any team. Only the defense is still suspect, but they have contributed to the wins.

The team is actually doing better than we anticipated at the start of the year, despite the injuries, in terms of OL pass protection, rushing TDs (before the RB injuries), red zone scoring (again, before the RB injuries), starting field position, and even kickoff distance. Our ST coverage has been a little better, but still needs work. Our rushing offense hasn't been very effective between the 20's, but that should be solved through experience and a better RB.

The only thing that hasn't improved or shown any form of consistency is the defense.

That's a whole lot of improvements in one short season. :cheers:

omac
12-27-2008, 06:53 AM

Yeah, Belichick is a great coach, and that can't be questioned.

He does mess around with the ethical stuff. Though the tapes have been burned, they've learned a lot through them, and no doubt it gave them advantages in future matchups. With regards to IR, one player who played for NE during his career mentioned that with Belichick and the Pats, players who'm they've put on IR were practicing with them. So not only do those players not count in their active roster, and not only are those players protected by NE from getting taken by another team, those players also improve and get up to speed. It's an illegal way to secretly develop players for your system, while not having them count against your roster.

He's a great coach, but he is also not above cheating the system in order to get an advantage.

I'm pretty sure he's not the only one, though.

BroncoWave
12-27-2008, 12:18 PM

What do you think?..

Just to be clear, you are saying we should get rid of Shanny since, according to you, he's not as good a coach as someone who is regarded by some as one of the best coaches ever?

That's excatly like saying "Well shit, we have a pretty good QB here in Jay Cutler, but we just have to get rid of him since he's not as good as Peyton Manning."

That's a ridiculous assertion. He might not be the best coach ever but seriously, who would you rather have over him that Denver would actually have a chance of getting?

WARHORSE
12-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Just to be clear, you are saying we should get rid of Shanny since, according to you, he's not as good a coach as someone who is regarded by some as one of the best coaches ever?

That's excatly like saying "Well shit, we have a pretty good QB here in Jay Cutler, but we just have to get rid of him since he's not as good as Peyton Manning."

That's a ridiculous assertion. He might not be the best coach ever but seriously, who would you rather have over him that Denver would actually have a chance of getting?

An lets not forget. Belichick himself says Shanahan is the best coach he faces, and has the utmost respect for him.

Now who does Bowlen believe?

Belicheat?

Or Jrwiz? :laugh:

WARHORSE
12-27-2008, 02:53 PM

What do you think?..

First of all, they have not had more injuries than us.

Secondly, the awesome coach that you claim as all knowing has disagreed with you. He holds SHanahan in the utmost respect. When you see Belicheat shake hands after the game......if he does........watch him shake Mikes hand. Its genuine and respectful. Unlike the way he shakes all other coaches hands.
Its cause he himself has tugged on SHannys feel good chain time and time again.

Give us an honest answer. Dont dodge this question:

Who knows more, you or Belicheat?

:coffee:SALURPEE.

fcspikeit
12-27-2008, 03:37 PM

Secondly, the awesome coach that you claim as all knowing has disagreed with you. He holds SHanahan in the utmost respect. When you see Belicheat shake hands after the game......if he does........watch him shake Mikes hand. Its genuine and respectful. Unlike the way he shakes all other coaches hands.

What, Belachick was raving about Shanahan before we played them? :laugh:

That's funny, he was saying the same thing about Dick Jeron a couple days ago. It's what he does... Every team they play against is the best in the NFL..

BroncoWave
12-27-2008, 03:38 PM

That's funny, he was saying the same thing about Dick Jeron a couple days ago. It's what he does... Every team they play against is the best in the NFL..

He's never said that Dick Jaroun is the best coach he faces. He has said that about Shanahan.

:coffee:

WARHORSE
12-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Try to keep up to date.

Bill Belichick: "....look, I know Mike, I have a lot of respect for Mike Shanahan, I think he is one of the best coaches in the league without a doubt"

WARHORSE
12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Washington Posts rankings

The Post's Top 5 NFL Coaches

You've had your say, now The Washington Post sports department picks their top 5 NFL head coaches.
1. Patriots' Bill Belichick
2. Colts' Tony Dungy
3. Broncos' Mike Shanahan
4. Titans' Jeff Fisher
5. Saints' Sean Payton

WARHORSE
12-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Belichick quotes:

"This will be a really big challenge for us this week. I think just from a coaching standpoint, I've had the privilege of coaching in this league for a long time against a lot of great people, especially offensively. I think I have to put Mike [Shanahan] right up there with any of them I've ever coached against. He does probably as good a job...I don't there is anybody any better at game-planning and creating problems for the defense. He takes a look at what you do and then he presents a situation for you that is tough to deal with. It's always something that is a little bit different, but it always kind of hits right where it hurts the most. He's done a good job of that in the past and they have a lot of good players to work with. I think he really does a good job. He puts a lot of pressure on you and that makes it hard."

Strategy wise, does he remind you of yourself?

"Well, no. He doesn't remind me of anybody. I'm just trying to compete against him and I'm just telling you that I've coached defense a long time and it's hard. He puts more pressure on you than anybody else."

Q: Have you ever been able to anticipate how he's going to attack you?

BB: No. What are you going to do? Put a wiretap in the meeting room?

Q: Knowing your own weaknesses.

BB: I think that's the worse thing you could do because I think he has a lot of different options that he can choose from. So he has one of 10 things. You want to put all of your eggs in that one basket, you better be right because if it's any one of the other nine, then you're really going to be up the creek. I don't think you can play it that way, 'Well, gee, I think he's going to split the tight end out.' Okay, well you want to put all of your eggs in that basket and it turns out that he doesn't split them out this week, then what are you going to do? He might split them out. He might not. He might have two of them in game. He might have one of them in the game. He might be in empty the whole game. You just don't know. And again, that's part of what makes it hard is because he's aggressive and he's not afraid to do that. Some coaches, they might not want it do that. 'Well, gee, we have to be in this,' or, 'We have to be in that,' or, 'We've been successful doing this, so we better keep doing it.' I don't think he cares about that. He's going to do what is going to give you the most problems and it does. Look, I'm not saying every play is an 80-yard touchdown and everything works out perfect. That's not the case for anybody for any team. I'm just saying in my experience in playing against a lot of offensive coaches, he does a better job than most all of them and is as good as anybody.

shank
12-27-2008, 07:35 PM
BB: No. What are you going to do? Put a wiretap in the meeting room?

haha irony.

BroncoWave
12-27-2008, 07:41 PM
haha irony.

:lol: my thoughts exactly!

Lonestar
12-27-2008, 11:35 PM

I f you will read my any of my posts I have consistently said mikey has been a lousy GM, he needs to concentrate on coaching and allowing someone else to do the personnel work and running all football ops..

Lonestar
12-27-2008, 11:43 PM

I beleive I heard last week end while watching their game teh annoucers say they had to overcome more injuries thatn any other team this year. Now if that is incorrect I stand corrected.. I did not pull that out of my BUTT.

what do you expect Beliceck to say he is the greastest coach?? get a life..

does he know more thatn I do? certaninly I thinky he knows more than mikey probably because he allows a great Gm and Fo to make most of the personnel decisons..

Now do you feel better for trying to make fun of me ..

WARHORSE
12-28-2008, 01:53 AM
I beleive I heard last week end while watching their game teh annoucers say they had to overcome more injuries thatn any other team this year. Now if that is incorrect I stand corrected.. I did not pull that out of my BUTT.

Didnt say you pulled it out of your BUTT. All I said was, thats not true.

what do you expect Beliceck to say he is the greastest coach?? get a life..

No need to make it huffy, just making a point. You make your position known, and so do others here. No problem.

does he know more thatn I do? certaninly I thinky he knows more than mikey probably because he allows a great Gm and Fo to make most of the personnel decisons..

Well who made the decisions for us to get Cutler, Marshall, Royal, Clady, etc? NO ONE makes perfect decisions all the time dude.

Now do you feel better for trying to make fun of me ..

Didnt mean to make you feel like I was makin fun of you........but I AM trying to get my point across.

And that point is: Shanahan is staying. Hes a WINNER. Not PERFECT, but a damn good coach.

Get a hint.

Lonestar
12-28-2008, 12:41 PM
And that point is: Shanahan is staying. Hes a WINNER. Not PERFECT, but a damn good coach.

Get a hint.

Great coach lousy motivator historically lousy in personnel decisions although has done better this past couple of years..

He has been unable to get us back to the glory days without John and crew.. those are the facts..

Unable to win consistently and the team almost always plays down the level of teh competion and the team consistently wins early and fades badly down the stretch..

Should he stay or Go?

that is up to PAT but major changes need to happen the D needs almost a complete overhaul.. from DC to 4th string de's IMHO