PDA

View Full Version : Trading Wire (Must Read)

Lancane
10-12-2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8230fc44/article/trading-winds-deals-that-should-get-done-before-deadline?module=HP11_cp

Three-way trade
Denver trades Kyle Orton to Miami for a draft pick, which the Broncos then package along with Brandon Lloyd in a deal with Carolina for Jimmy Clausen.

The Broncos named Tim Tebow their starter this week, but this move would give them two young QBs to develop and let the best one win. Coach John Fox drafted Clausen, who started 10 games as a rookie, when he was at Carolina.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins get the quarterback they wanted before the season and the Panthers get help at receiver to give Cam Newton another target to go opposite Steve Smith.

Thoughts? :lol:

BeefStew25
10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Are you sure that isn't from Bleacher Report?

elsid13
10-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Hell no. Clausen is horrible and you don't have time to bring two young QB along in season.

dunk7
10-12-2011, 05:17 PM
I found this early...like I said...Gil Brandt needs to be put out to pasture...When I read the article, I threw up a little in my mouth.

jhildebrand
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
We already have one subpar ND QB on the roster.

weazel
10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
I wouldnt give brandon lloyd for clausen... I wouldnt give you glyn milburn for clausen!

Lancane
10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Hey, I'm just reporting what I read...I found the article hilarious. I could see us trading Orton to Miami, maybe Seattle. But Lloyd? I agree that he's lackluster at the moment, but we're thin at the position and I sure in the hell don't believe Clausen is worth a draft pick and Brandon Lloyd? The whole article was outrageously comical.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
from article:

I made more than 50 trades during my time in the NFL and realize there's a lot that goes into finding a fit for both sides. With that in mind, I have come up with a list of deals that would make sense for all involved. One caveat: these trades are irrespective of what the cap situations are for each team because organizations know how to massage the numbers to get things done.

Thanks goodness - this is Brandt's idea only.

Agent of Orange
10-12-2011, 05:49 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8230fc44/article/trading-winds-deals-that-should-get-done-before-deadline?module=HP11_cp

Thoughts? :lol:

First of all, it wasnt a "must read". Second of all, I think you're assigning too much meaning to Clauson being drafted by Carolina. Fox already had one foot out the door when Clausen was drafted. And I kind of doubt that Fox significantly influenced that draft pick. Furthermore, unlike Tebow, Clausen has shown nothing. On top of that, this is a guy who was questionable against for a late season game his last year in college because he had his ass kicked by one of his own fellow students. When was the last time that happened? If Fox is worried about losing the lockerroom, I really don't see him bringing in this punk to be a leader of men.

I think Clausen is a better candidate to be traded to St Louis. But lets be real. Its not like Clausen was taken in the 1st round. The Panthers really dont have a lot invested in him. They may feel theyre better off keeping him.

Buff
10-12-2011, 06:10 PM
This is the opposite of "must read."

Lancane
10-12-2011, 06:11 PM
First of all, it wasnt a "must read". Second of all, I think you're assigning too much meaning to Clauson being drafted by Carolina. Fox already had one foot out the door when Clausen was drafted. And I kind of doubt that Fox significantly influenced that draft pick. Furthermore, unlike Tebow, Clausen has shown nothing. On top of that, this is a guy who was questionable against for a late season game his last year in college because he had his ass kicked by one of his own fellow students. When was the last time that happened? If Fox is worried about losing the lockerroom, I really don't see him bringing in this punk to be a leader of men.

I think Clausen is a better candidate to be traded to St Louis. But lets be real. Its not like Clausen was taken in the 1st round. The Panthers really dont have a lot invested in him. They may feel theyre better off keeping him.

I didn't write the article? And second of all, the only part I agreed with was trading Orton...please read from now on before making such assumptions!

Lancane
10-12-2011, 06:12 PM
This is the opposite of "must read."

Really? I thought it was a must read for people interested in what others think, you know...like the point of the boards in the first place.

Buff
10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Really? I thought it was a must read for people interested in what others think, you know...like the point of the boards in the first place.

I'm just trolling everyone today, don't take it personal.

But seriously, a trade idea that Gil Brandt pulled out of his ass that doesn't even make sense is not exactly a must read in my book. I thought there was a legit trade in the works from your title.

dogfish
10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
gil brandt actually came up with that garbage?

what the hell is wrong with him?

:tsk:

Lancane
10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm just trolling everyone today, don't take it personal.

But seriously, a trade idea that Gil Brandt pulled out of his ass that doesn't even make sense is not exactly a must read in my book. I thought there was a legit trade in the works from your title.

Sorry for the misunderstanding...I just thought it was hilarious the trades he was pulling out of his ass! Palmer to Seattle, Lloyd and a draft pick to Carolina for Clausen...they were almost all downright idiotic.

Traveler
10-12-2011, 06:40 PM
And for more garbage, there's supposedly a messege on twitter about a trade of DJ Williams to PHI. Nothing confirmed....

Lancane
10-12-2011, 06:42 PM
And for more garbage, there's supposedly a messege on twitter about a trade of DJ Williams to PHI. Nothing confirmed....

Did they say for what or whom Trav?

I could see us parting with Williams, so I wouldn't be surprised.

BroncoWave
10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
That might be the dumbest trade idea I have ever seen.

Traveler
10-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Did they say for what or whom Trav?

I could see us parting with Williams, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Last I read, it's for a 3rd or 4th or possibly a swap of players. Not even sure it's a credible source.

http://twitter.com/#%21/ALLsportsINTEL Rich Smith

Northman
10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Well, if it did happen at least Lloyd would be happy being with Orton.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Last I read, it's for a 3rd or 4th or possibly a swap of players. Not even sure it's a credible source.

I'd make the trade for Assante Samuels or one of their DTs in a heartbeat...

Our defense wasn't any better with DJ starting than it was with Woodyard.

BroncoWave
10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Well, if it did happen at least Lloyd would be happy being with Orton.

This proposed trade sends Lloyd to Carolina.

Lancane
10-12-2011, 07:06 PM

I don't really see anyone they'd swap for since both of their defensive tackles are under rather huge contracts. A third or fourth round pick would have to be tempting for the Broncos though (if there is any truth to it) we're already down two picks in the next draft.

Lancane
10-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I'd make the trade for Assante Samuels or one of their DTs in a heartbeat...

Our defense wasn't any better with DJ starting than it was with Woodyard.

As I stated above, Patterson & Jenkins are both under huge contracts; so I doubt it's for a defensive tackle or for that matter Samuels, when their defense is truly struggling so badly and is part of the reason they'd be looking at Williams.

MOtorboat
10-12-2011, 07:14 PM

He also reported a Patrick Willis for Asante Samuel trade during preseason.

Dreadnought
10-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I wouldnt give brandon lloyd for clausen... I wouldnt give you glyn milburn for clausen!

Near as I can see the value of Clausen is zero, give or take. Brady Quinn is an upgrade over Clausen

dogfish
10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
He also reported a Patrick Willis for Asante Samuel trade during preseason.

:spit: :rofl: :pound:

dogfish
10-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Near as I can see the value of Clausen is zero, give or take. Brady Quinn is an upgrade over Clausen

dread, you were really hitting it out of the park until the brady quinn part. . .

Dreadnought
10-12-2011, 07:29 PM
dread, you were really hitting it out of the park until the brady quinn part. . .

Don't read that as any sort of endorsement of Brady Quinn, but more as my assessment of Jimmy Clausen's usefulness.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-12-2011, 07:29 PM
As I stated above, Patterson & Jenkins are both under huge contracts; so I doubt it's for a defensive tackle or for that matter Samuels, when their defense is truly struggling so badly and is part of the reason they'd be looking at Williams.

Trevor Laws and a pick (from them). I remember when he was the Senior Bowl/combine workout warrior that everyone wanted. He's a good rotational guy.

I'd also swap them even up for Brandon Graham who was their first round pick last year. They paid big money for Babin and made Graham a backup so I'd dangle DJ for Graham. You can never have too many pass rushers... :D

dogfish
10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Don't read that as any sort of endorsement of Brady Quinn, but more as my assessment of Jimmy Clausen's usefulness.

it's comparing lemons to lemons-- neither of 'em's worth a plugged nickel. . .

I Eat Staples
10-13-2011, 09:34 AM
You really think Clausen has zero value? How come?

He was a good prospect coming into the draft, and he didn't have long to prove himself on a bad offense, although admittedly I didn't watch any of his games so I didn't see how poorly he played.

I wanted to draft Clausen at the time, I would have much rather had him than Tebow or Colt McCoy.

vandammage13
10-13-2011, 09:37 AM
No thanks on Clausen.

We already have one too many Notre Dame QB's on the roster.

Plus we don't want the Vatican getting involved trying to keep that other pesky Baptist QB down.

Northman
10-13-2011, 09:41 AM
He was a good prospect coming into the draft,

A lot of QB's are good prospects coming out of the draft.

and he didn't have long to prove himself on a bad offense,

He had 10 (13 overall in terms of playtime) games which is more than Tebow at this point yet his numbers are worse than Timmy's. As for the bad offense, Newton doesnt seem to be having much problem moving the offense and scoring.

I wanted to draft Clausen at the time, I would have much rather had him than Tebow or Colt McCoy.

I thought McCoy would bomb but even he's played better than Clausen at this point.

vandammage13
10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
You really think Clausen has zero value? How come?

He was a good prospect coming into the draft, and he didn't have long to prove himself on a bad offense, although admittedly I didn't watch any of his games so I didn't see how poorly he played.

This is why you shouldn't let the media's take on what a pro-ready QB should be sway your opinion.

Both McCoy and Tebow will be better pros than Clausen.

I Eat Staples
10-13-2011, 09:47 AM
A lot of QB's are good prospects coming out of the draft.

He had 10 (13 overall in terms of playtime) games which is more than Tebow at this point yet his numbers are worse than Timmy's. As for the bad offense, Newton doesnt seem to be having much problem moving the offense and scoring.

I thought McCoy would bomb but even he's played better than Clausen at this point.

I guess I'm not ready to write Clausen off just yet, but that's what I said about Brady Quinn and that didn't work out well. McCoy hasn't been great, but he's been better than I expected. I think that was a pretty bad draft for QBs overall though.

What do you think Clausen's problem is? He had solid mechanics and seemed to have good enough physical tools, but then again so did Brady Quinn. Maybe ND's pro style offense doesn't prepare QBs for the pros at all.

Northman
10-13-2011, 09:52 AM
I guess I'm not ready to write Clausen off just yet, but that's what I said about Brady Quinn and that didn't work out well. McCoy hasn't been great, but he's been better than I expected. I think that was a pretty bad draft for QBs overall though.

Well, like you i wouldnt write Clausen off yet either. Some QB's take longer to achieve some type of success (Steve Young for example) but right now Jimmy simply faced the same thing Tebow did. He went into camp, got outplayed by the other guy and now is 2nd string. The only difference is our starter has played poorly while Newton has played well. But its not unheard of for a guy like Clausen to click at some point whether its with the Panthers or some other team willing to give him a go.

What do you think Clausen's problem is? He had solid mechanics and seemed to have good enough physical tools, but then again so did Brady Quinn. Maybe ND's pro style offense doesn't prepare QBs for the pros at all.

Not really sure honestly. Im trying to remember some other ND QB's. Wasnt Rick Mirer and Heath Shuler ND boys? And wasnt Montana one? Either way, maybe its just too fast for him at this point. Maybe its just a simple thing as confidence.

Ravage!!!
10-13-2011, 10:08 AM
I think Colt McCoy is looking pretty good in Cleveland.... certainly better than Clausen by a long shot. I'd take McCoy in a heartbeat if given the chance.

CrazyHorse
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Trevor Laws and a pick (from them). I remember when he was the Senior Bowl/combine workout warrior that everyone wanted. He's a good rotational guy.

I'd also swap them even up for Brandon Graham who was their first round pick last year. They paid big money for Babin and made Graham a backup so I'd dangle DJ for Graham. You can never have too many pass rushers... :D

Yes Trevor Laws. I went to High School with him. Having him, Decker, and Adam Weber on the team I can sway people in my state to liking the Broncos.

CoachChaz
10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Claussen was also a rookie QB playing in a bad offense on a bad team. I dont know that last year was the best guage for him.

Not going to say he'll be great or even good...but it's hard for me to determine his potential after last season.

Buff
10-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Claussen was also a rookie QB playing in a bad offense on a bad team. I dont know that last year was the best guage for him.

Not going to say he'll be great or even good...but it's hard for me to determine his potential after last season.

Based on their performance in college, and even in the NFL, Brady Quinn is a much better prospect. I don't know why in the world we'd bring in the lesser Notre Dame QB.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
The only thing I know about Claussen is that most people who've met him, including other players, don't like him. All the stories I've read are that he's arrogant, self-centered, egotistical, and not much a of a team guy. Steve Smith hated him so much he asked for a trade. It wasn't until the Panthers drafted Newton and pretty much decided to start him that Smith said he'd "give it a chance".

No thanks on Claussen, we already have a young QB who needs developing.

Nomad
10-13-2011, 01:16 PM
I caught the end of it on ESPN, but Schefter was talking about a trade of Dawkins to Philly. :confused:

Lancane
10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
I caught the end of it on ESPN, but Schefter was talking about a trade of Dawkins to Philly. :confused:

Eh? Sheesh, what would they trade for the guy the let walk who would be entering his 17th season. Unless, Dawkins is planning on retiring after the season and wants to play the last weeks of his career in Philadelphia and is telling former coaches and teammates as much? I could see that being true, especially now that the Broncos are going with a younger quarterback and rebuilding.

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
jimmy Clausen is garbage.

WHy even waste our time with Jimmy Clausen when we could end up with Landry jones, or even better, Andrew Luck?

horsepig
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Drivel.

Lancane
10-13-2011, 01:28 PM

WHy even waste our time with Jimmy Clausen when we could end up with Landry jones, or even better, Andrew Luck?

That was simply someone's opinion, though not a very good one.

LRtagger
10-13-2011, 01:29 PM
http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/l_0ced0721fb24423d99444ca3a25a5d88.jpg

slim
10-13-2011, 01:30 PM
:laugh:

Dudes got game!

vandammage13
10-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Or Tim Tebow...

Lancane
10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/l_0ced0721fb24423d99444ca3a25a5d88.jpg

Hey Fugly Girls need love too, obviously! :laugh:

vandammage13
10-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Yikes....I'm not gonna fault Clausen for that one. Maybe he was just trying to be nice....or maybe that's how he rolls.

Lancane
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Yikes....I'm not gonna fault Clausen for that one. Maybe he was just trying to be nice....or maybe that's how he rolls.

I think the one on his left arm is his cousin, they look a little alike...

So that's how he rolls? He's a cousin-lover? :lol:

MileHighCrew
10-13-2011, 01:35 PM

"oh ya Cam.... well check out my trophies!!!" :laugh:

Nomad
10-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Hey Fugly Girls need love too, obviously! :laugh:

Beer goggles and a dark room could fix that:D.....just leave before the light turns on!

vandammage13
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
http://mbalbert0513.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/timtebowgirlfriend.jpg

Hot chics dig elongated passing motions.

Lancane
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Beer goggles and a dark room could fix that:D.....just leave before the light turns on!

I'm not sure even that would help! They look like extra's from a Shrek movie...:eek:

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Didn't that dude shoot his leg off in 8 mile?

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
http://thedirtypush.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/clausen-gay.jpg

Lancane
10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Didn't that dude shoot his leg off in 8 mile?

'Cheddar Bob' :lol:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b8suo6dUxRw/ST_pYVuh3lI/AAAAAAAAAZs/mh0HtnQUL1Y/s1600/cheddar+bob.jpg

:rofl:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Guess the following will fit in this thread, as I did not want to start a new thread just for this:

More and more rumblings about the #Broncos and #Eagles working on a deal - 3rd Rounder for B-Dawk and DJ Williams. #NFLRumors

http://twitter.com/#!/MileHighReport/statuses/124556769849651200

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow, how bad has DJ Williams busted for Denver?

Lancane
10-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Wow, how bad has DJ Williams busted for Denver?

The trade makes sense on paper, Williams has never really been a standout linebacker but always solid. And in the last couple years has seemed to been a bit more reckless then usual. Not to mention that we have Mohamed on the practice squad who is a natural will linebacker who can rotate in with Woodyard. I also think Dawkins is going to retire soon, Philadelphia fans have missed him and that franchise is in disarray, bringing Dawkins back will calm the waters for awhile.

Northman
10-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Dang, they are letting B-Dawk go? That would suck but i could live with Williams going.

silkamilkamonico
10-13-2011, 02:56 PM
I don't think Mohammed ever makes it as a competent starter in the NFL. With Dawkins I think all we lose is his leadership and motivation, which I think considering our current situation isn't a big loss. I don't think much of DJ Williams, but I do think he is the only competent starter at the LB position for us right now. Our LB core is absolutely horrible. I think you take Williams out of the equation and it's borderline hopeless.

I think our defense is 3-5 years away from being competent. With the growth of really our only 2 young potential players in Moore/Miller (3 if you count Mays), the loss of Bailey in a couple years leaves a huge whole at the CB position.

I do not think much at all of Woodyard's play. I think he's merely a hard working p[layer around the ball alot on a defense that's significantly void of talent. he's a serviceable stopgap, but will be replaced by a better player in the next couple of years.

MileHighCrew
10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Dang, they are letting B-Dawk go? That would suck but i could live with Williams going.

he probably wants to go if it is a chance to back to philly

Northman
10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
he probably wants to go if it is a chance to back to philly

Has he stated that?

Lancane
10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't think Mohammed ever makes it as a competent starter in the NFL. With Dawkins I think all we lose is his leadership and motivation, which I think considering our current situation isn't a big loss. I don't think much of DJ Williams, but I do think he is the only competent starter at the LB position for us right now. Our LB core is absolutely horrible. I think you take Williams out of the equation and it's borderline hopeless.

I think our defense is 3-5 years away from being competent. With the growth of really our only 2 young potential players in Moore/Miller (3 if you count Mays), the loss of Bailey in a couple years leaves a huge whole at the CB position.

I do not think much at all of Woodyard's play. I think he's merely a hard working p[layer around the ball alot on a defense that's significantly void of talent. he's a serviceable stopgap, but will be replaced by a better player in the next couple of years.

I don't think Mohamed will be a starter, but I see him more of a rotational/depth linebacker who could rotate in at both outside positions.

Yes, Dawkins' leadership will be greatly missed, but we still have a pretty good leader in Bailey, I think Miller and Moore will also start to be leaders once we're void of one. Not to mention that Dawkins has been around some of these cats for a couple years, and I think he's infectious so it's probably rubbed off on some of the younger players.

Williams has long been solid, but not much more. We've long needed more passion and fire from the linebackers and it will take more then Mays, Williams and Miller...Woodyard I agree is a good stopgap, but we have to get younger and better to compete.

I don't see it taking five years, three at tops...but if we add another solid linebacker, a young stout corner and a hard nose defensive tackle the defense is better then it is now. I am more worried about the offense then the defense, even if we trade Williams and Dawkins.

MileHighCrew
10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Has he stated that?

not that I know of, I was making a guess.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Xanders just said they have talked with Brandon's representative in regards to a contract extension. Again, he is on 104.3 the fan now.

MOtorboat
10-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Did anyone actually see Schefter go on Sportscenter this morning and throw this out there?

It's not in their rumor section, he didn't tweet it, yet its being attributed to him. Anyone?

Nomad
10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Did anyone actually see Schefter go on Sportscenter this morning and throw this out there?

It's not in their rumor section, he didn't tweet it, yet its being attributed to him. Anyone?

Yes, I saw him mention something but caught the tail end of it. All I heard was something about trade, Dawkins and Philly.

MOtorboat
10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Yes, I saw him mention something but caught the tail end of it. All I heard was something about trade, Dawkins and Philly.

Honestly, I was starting to think bleacherreport just made it up...

Nomad
10-13-2011, 05:07 PM

That's why I asked about it earlier today because I haven't seen anything, then again all I look up is pft.:lol:

Lancane
10-13-2011, 05:09 PM

I don't know Mo, NFL.com is starting to write some shit that sounds like it's from Bleacherreport!

Lancane
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Xanders just said they have talked with Brandon's representative in regards to a contract extension. Again, he is on 104.3 the fan now.

Well that could be taken as one of two ways, they want to extend him and keep him or extend him for easier trade.

Either way, this shit has until Tuesday or it's all out the window.