PDA

View Full Version : Will We Win With Tebow?

WARHORSE
10-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Well?

Honestly, I think theres a good possibility that we start chalkin up some Ws, in spite of the fact that we have a tough schedule.

If Tebow can come in cold and put up 14 pts without snaps at practice against a very good SD defense, I think theres a good chance this team improves quite a bit.

I am not callin him the savior, but I AM believing he will make a big difference.

QBs like Tebow spread the defense out deep.

As long as he can buy time and extend plays, much like Cam, the defense needs to stay deep.

This leads to short passes or runs to be big plays.

What will it do to his psyche knowing hes got the backing of the coaches and team, vs going in for Orton on an injury?

I believe it may settle him down a bit, and help him focus.

If they game plan him well, he will get out of the pocket alot.

McGahee has hit a stride, or I believe more accurately we should say the Oline seems to be hitting its stride.

Three hundred yard games on our team is a big accomplishment for Willis.

I believe we will put up points with Tim, and I believe he will make progress.

How much of an impact that progress translates to points and wins.....remains to be seen.

But Im looking forward to finding out, and Im sure our defense is as well.

If we play with a lead.....I think our defense becomes that much better.

Whaddya think? Translates to wins?

I believe Tebows game with some improvement will indeed.

SR
10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
One can hope. I'm cautiously optimistic.

hotcarl
10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
tl;dr, but yes, bye

slim
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
His ability to extend plays (and extend drives with his legs) is really going to help the defense. Hopefully it will help shorten the game and keep the D off the field.

In the small sample of games we have, TT has clearly been able to put up more points than Orton.

Still, I'm not sure we have enough talent to win consistently. But TT gives us a better chance to win.

Jsteve01
10-12-2011, 03:48 PM
You can't deny his intangibles and everyone on the team seemed to take it to another level with him in there. He can't make the throws at this point but I'd sure like to think that somehow he'll get there.

MasterShake
10-12-2011, 03:56 PM
I'll be happy with wins, but I expect the losses to be competitive (except against New England, but who knows?). The most important thing is seeing what we have so we know how to approach the next draft.

Cugel
10-12-2011, 04:04 PM
It's obvious that teams are going to game-plan for eliminating what Tebow does best.

Chargers Safety Eric Weddle said in an interview that the way to defend Tebow is to put 8 men in the box and try and prevent the run and dare him to throw deep to his WRs (who would be in single coverage).

If he proves he can beat such coverages "then good for him. But make him prove it." They didn't do that in the Chargers game because they had the big lead at that point and were in prevent defense just trying to prevent a quick score. Without the strip of Phillip Rivers the Broncos don't get the ball back and no chance for any Tebow late game heroics. Chargers run out the clock.

So we'll get to see what Tim can do against an 8 man box. At least it's got to be more exciting than watching Orton. And that's a surety.

So you're going to see teams trying to prevent Denver and Tebow from running the ball, make Tebow stand in the pocket and deliver the ball; which is something he doesn't do well. But, he's going to have to learn sometime, so why not now?

Npba900
10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
His ability to extend plays (and extend drives with his legs) is really going to help the defense. Hopefully it will help shorten the game and keep the D off the field.

In the small sample of games we have, TT has clearly been able to put up more points than Orton.

Still, I'm not sure we have enough talent to win consistently. But TT gives us a better chance to win.

I hope to see Tim buy time with his legs in the Pocket or outside the pocket so long as he doesn't go past the line of scrimmage and taking off running. Right now if you see Tebow taking off running its probably due because he didn't make the correct read or missed throwing to the open receiver.

This scenario will probably drive John Fox crazy and postpone Tebow's development of learning to become a pocket passing NFL QB vs running the ball and reminding folks of the Chicago Bears QB of the late 60's named Bobby Douglas.

Stay in the pocket Tebow take the sacks or throw the ball away. Stand tall in the pocket and be decisive! Make teams respect your arm, your QB Acumen. Politely tell your fan base your job is to provide excitement and entertainment from inside the pocket.

shank
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Stay in the pocket Tebow take the sacks or throw the ball away.
brandon lloyd should stop making tough catches, because the balls should be on target. he should just give up if it doesn't hit him right in the numbers.

weazel
10-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I think we win as much or more than we did with Orton this season!

Lancane
10-12-2011, 04:59 PM
No!

Hey, sorry to bust people's 'Tebow blowup dolls', but Tebow is going to have a rough eleven weeks and Miami might be the best chance for him to prove that he is capable. Our schedule certainly doesn't help him any and defenses are going to stack the box and force him to beat them with his arm. If he can do it, then we know what we have...if he can not, we still know and also hopefully if defenses prove as much the fans will realize as much.

BroncoWave
10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
No!

Hey, sorry to bust people's 'Tebow blowup dolls', but Tebow is going to have a rough eleven weeks and Miami might be the best chance for him to prove that he is capable. Our schedule certainly doesn't help him any and defenses are going to stack the box and force him to beat them with his arm. If he can do it, then we know what we have...if he can not, we still know and also hopefully if defenses prove as much the fans will realize as much.

We also play the chiefs twice and the vikings. We have some winnable games left. And it's not like the Jets and Bears are looking too hot either.

weazel
10-12-2011, 05:12 PM
No!

I agree, but Orton didnt set the bar very high, so it couldnt be any worse

Suck for Luck!!

BeefStew25
10-12-2011, 05:14 PM
This is an exciting time for Bronco fans. Worst case the games won't be boring.

I am wondering how McCoy dicks with the playbook. I suspect we are going to see a bit more screens. And I personally have no issues with TT taking off on a run instead of forcing a pass.

Lancane
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
We also play the chiefs twice and the vikings. We have some winnable games left. And it's not like the Jets and Bears are looking too hot either.

We might beat the Chief's once, but Painter had a career day against them and still lost, and no doubt they'll play tougher against us as a divisional rival. The Vikings is a winnable game, depending on what their offense look's like come game time, McFadden tore us a new *******, the Vikes have Peterson! I don't see us beating the Jet's but the Bears are still a toss up, I think if we beat the Bears it's because of our defense.

Npba900
10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
brandon lloyd should stop making tough catches, because the balls should be on target. he should just give up if it doesn't hit him right in the numbers.

QB and WR are two different positions. Brandon's job is to run precise clean routes to get open and catch the ball because the throw from the QB was simple a "Catchable Ball". No where does it say a WR needs to put himself in a vulnerable season ending or career ending position because they must try and catch an inaccurate dangerous pass. There is a difference between making a "Tough Catch" and catches that can prolong your career or end your career.

The pass doesn't have to hit the WR right in the hands or numbers. Sure the WR should be able to dig out a low thrown pass or catch a pass with both arms extend overhead; but other than that, said QB must ensure he throws his WR catchable passes.

Example, if WR needs to leap in the air one handed to catch a badly thrown pass that isn't catchable in the first place, why risk season ending injury or even a career ending injuries. Same is true if the QB floats a pass over the middle allowing tacklers to take a bead on the receiver and nailing him vs applying zip on the so the WR can protect himself while catching the pass.

A QB needs to be conscious to ensure they don't get their WR injured for the season or career wise because said QB failed to throw the ball correctly and accurately. The WR needs to have confidence that his QB will not hang them out to dry due to errant-dangerous passes.

G_Money
10-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I can see Tebow going 4-7 or 5-6 the rest of the way. If he's 2-9 then we're probably going with a new QB next year, but I don't think he'll make it that easy on the decision makers.

If he's 5-6 we're well out of the Luck sweepstakes, and do you draft a QB if Tebow can get 5 wins in 11 games on a schedule that includes several playoff teams, other playoff contenders, and division rivals?

I still say we're drafting a tackle to protect his blindside, unless Franklin the Jason-Vorhees-scary-run-blocker can become a great blindside pass protector, something that was not in his skillset in college let alone the pros.

But only if Tebow wins some games.

~G

I Eat Staples
10-12-2011, 05:47 PM

There's no chance we beat the Jets or Bears. Vikings probably beat us and we split with the Chiefs. Miami is winnable for sure.

My short answer to the OP is no.

Npba900
10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I can see Tebow going 4-7 or 5-6 the rest of the way. If he's 2-9 then we're probably going with a new QB next year, but I don't think he'll make it that easy on the decision makers.

If he's 5-6 we're well out of the Luck sweepstakes, and do you draft a QB if Tebow can get 5 wins in 11 games on a schedule that includes several playoff teams, other playoff contenders, and division rivals?

I still say we're drafting a tackle to protect his blindside, unless Franklin the Jason-Vorhees-scary-run-blocker can become a great blindside pass protector, something that was not in his skillset in college let alone the pros.

~G

I just don't see 5 teams reaming on the schedule that are for sure wins. I continue to believe if Tebow performs well in the pocket yet it doesn't mean wins this season, its still a great positive sign that Tebow can make it. However, winning with excitement and entertainment but not performing consistently and accurate from pocket it shows Tebow isn't progressing.

GEM
10-12-2011, 05:54 PM

I am wondering how McCoy dicks with the playbook. I suspect we are going to see a bit more screens. And I personally have no issues with TT taking off on a run instead of forcing a pass.

Or throwing 5 balls out of ******* bounds. That was Orton's best move.

G_Money
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
I guess I’m wondering why the Bears cannot be beaten, nor the Jets with their idiotic offense. I’d put the Jets as a loss since I think Ryan is gonna have his boys confuse the bajeezus out of Tebow, and Minny can absolutely be a win with their schizophrenic approach to games this year.

I dunno – I don’t think we’re gonna lose as many games as might be warranted by the thin talent on this team. It’s a matter of health, and of how well and how quickly Tebow adjusts.

If it’s a trainwreck, then so be it. Bring on our new QB in 2012. I don’t think it will be a trainwreck. I think those looking for reasons Tebow can get us deep into the playoffs will see some things they like, and those that think Tebow can’t get us to an In-And-Out will see things that shore up that POV too.

But I think we’ll win enough games to make the choice going forward an agonizing one for the front office.

~G

Mike
10-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Don't know if the Broncos will win with Tebow. But I think the team has a chance to win with Tebow. Totally different team in the second half of Sunday's game.

slim
With that crappy OL, Von and Doom are going to kill Cutler.

Plus, it is likely he will throw at least 2 picks (probably in the red zone).

Yeah, there is no way we can beat the bears :rollseyes:

Locnar
If he grew a mean mustache, you bet your ass on it!

BeefStew25
10-12-2011, 06:00 PM
With that crappy OL, Von and Doom are going to kill Cutler.

Plus, it is likely he will throw at least 2 picks (probably in the red zone).

Yeah, there is no way we can beat the bears :rollseyes:

Unless Forte shreds us. Hey, want to go to that game with me?

slim
10-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Unless Forte shreds us. Hey, want to go to that game with me?

I think we have been over this....I wish I could.

Forte sucks, so I am not too worried about him.

G_Money
10-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I just don't see 5 teams reaming on the schedule that are for sure wins. I continue to believe if Tebow performs well in the pocket yet it doesn't mean wins this season, its still a great positive sign that Tebow can make it. However, winning with excitement and entertainment but not performing consistently and accurate from pocket it shows Tebow isn't progressing.

I don't see 5 SURE wins, but I see 5 games we have a reasonable shot of winning, and strange things happen in the NFL. Sanchez throws a few picks and the Jets game gets crazy in a hurry.

I agree, I want to see positive signs in QB play and not just the win column - nobody wants to repeat the 2010 Chiefs where they thought they were in good shape only to crash and burn this year when that season was revealed as a mirage.

But the W/L record, especially after Orton's last 26+, will sway a lot of folks. The best case is that we get wins AND progress from Tebow, but he'll make it hard to get away from him even if he just puts up Ws.

~G

I Eat Staples
10-12-2011, 06:07 PM
The Jets are a good team guys. Nobody expected the Vikings to be this bad this year. We COULD beat Minny, but we probably won't.

We won't beat Chicago because Tebow will turn the ball over against their D and even bad offenses can score on us. Its not a for sure loss, but we shouldn't win that game.

BroncoWave
10-12-2011, 06:15 PM
There's no chance we beat the Jets or Bears. Vikings probably beat us and we split with the Chiefs. Miami is winnable for sure.

My short answer to the OP is no.

No chance? The Chargers are better than either of those teams and Tebow brought us a play away from beating them. We certainly have a chance to beat them.

BroncoWave
10-12-2011, 06:17 PM
I think we have been over this....I wish I could.

Forte sucks, so I am not too worried about him.

Have you watched a Bears game this year? Forte is a very good player.

slim
10-12-2011, 06:18 PM
If we can sustain a few drives and keep the D fresh (off the field), we should be in most games in the fourth quarter...when TT plays his best.

To say we have no shot is a little silly.

DallasChief
10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
If we can sustain a few drives and keep the D fresh (off the field), we should be in most games in the fourth quarter...when TT plays his best.

To say we have no shot is a little silly.

Well said, slimgator.

Dreadnought
10-12-2011, 06:25 PM
No chance? The Chargers are better than either of those teams and Tebow brought us a play away from beating them. We certainly have a chance to beat them.

Yeah, I'm with you here. We've been in every game save for GB, and the difference between us and GB is measured in Light-Years. Other than that we are a competitive if not powerful club. A lot of posters here act as if we are the '07 Lions, and we are not. I don't even think we are as bad as, say, the 2010 Broncos. We are just not a good team right now, but not an epically bad one.

First step is to become that nasty little spoiler of a team you should beat but which is fully capable of beating nearly anybody. Tebow adds enough randomness for us to do that to almost anyone, while Orton will not be that guy who pulls off the stunning upset against a much better opponent. I also predict Tebow will commit some mindblowing boneheaded errors. So be it.

Lancane
10-12-2011, 06:40 PM

I won't say that Denver has no chance, but everyone is forgetting that pro defenses are different then collegiate defensive units, they'll stack the box and force Tebow to beat them with his arm. That will put him at a disadvantage no matter what you want to believe. And San Diego is pretty banged up right now, a lot of people are surprised that they've been capable of with the amount of quality players they've lost...don't underestimate them. They'll be a different team the next time we meet.

IMHO Tebow is going to end up a Roethlisberger type quarterback, he'll not be pretty and need certain weapons around him to succeed, not to mention a decent defense to counter an offense that will be off kilter most of the time. The best chance for us to win more games is not Tebow, but dependent on those around him as far as weapons goes.

Northman
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Will we win? Dunno.

But i believe the team will be more inspired and actually be in the games than we were before.

I Eat Staples
10-12-2011, 07:22 PM

I shouldn't say NO chance because technically there's always a chance, but hyperbole aside, I don't think the Chargers are better than the Jets. Certainly better than the Bears, but let's not forget that Norv Turner tries his hardest to put his team in a position to lose the game.

Who knows what would have happened if Tebow started that game, but the second half was pretty much a case of San Diego letting up.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Can we win with Tebow? I think so. Will we win with Tebow? Magic 8 Ball says, "WTF, do I look like Nostradamus?"

:whoknows:

jlarsiii
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM

~G

G, I think you are a tad bit optimistic. I don't see 4 or 5 wins. I would be more specific as to why I feel this way but I am trying to remain on the fence about Tebow and not judge him prematurely.

BTW, in his three starts last year his total QBR went from 80's to 50's to 30's, and that was without defensive coordinators having enough game film of him to learn his tendencies in what just about everyone calls throw away games...

SmilinAssasSin27
10-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Interesting question. We barely lost most of the games we did lose. Was that because KO made enough plays thru the air to keep us in games? Maybe. If so, would TTs lack of passing proficiency have ever had us in those games? Then again, KO didn't seem to make the big plays at the end to put us over the top. It almost seems as though we'd have been better off starting KO for 2 and a half quarters, avoid the bonehead mistakes and let TT try and bring it home. But that's not reality.

As much of a spark that Tebow brought, he still basically ran a draw and completed a screen pass. Not hating...just stating the facts. He clearly adds something and is a proven winner, although unorthodox.

I originally believed we have enough talent on this team to win 8-9 games this year. Well...3 of those "wins" escaped us. The remaining schedule isn't that daunting. Von Doom should have a field day w/ Chicago's OLine. KC twice. Oakland and SD are flawed. Miami and Minnesota simply aren't better than us...but we do need to stop AP.

I still think we have enough weapons on the outside, improved stability at RB w/ McGahee and a much improved defense. That, along with a competent, capable QB can get us another 5-6 wins. I believe TT is at least good enough to help us do that.

BroncoStud
10-12-2011, 11:28 PM

I REALLY hope McCoy stops running that stupid ass QB draw that will get Tebow killed by Lbers and safeties. Enough already.

BeefStew25
10-12-2011, 11:32 PM
I REALLY hope McCoy stops running that stupid ass QB draw that will get Tebow killed by Lbers and safeties. Enough already.

Yeah, I am over that. Maybe run the play where he fakes a run and then steps back or something.

BroncoJoe
10-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I am over that. Maybe run the play where he fakes a run and then steps back or something.

Jump-pass FTW!

BeefStew25
10-12-2011, 11:47 PM
jump-pass ftw!

no! Neg rep!

BroncoJoe
10-12-2011, 11:51 PM
no! Neg rep!

Sadly, we don't have that here.

We had some pretty good threads at the ol' place for Neg rep.

Lancane
10-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Sadly, we don't have that here.

We had some pretty good threads at the ol' place for Neg rep.

Oh, you mean the one where if you had an opinion that differed from the Mod's they'd make cheap claims and either suspend you or band you completely?

I don't like them! :tsk:

BroncoJoe
10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh, you mean the one where if you had an opinion that differed from the Mod's they'd make cheap claims and either suspend you or band you completely?

I don't like them! :tsk:

Again, sadly, that was near the EOL of the freak.

It was a completely different place before that abortion happened.

Anyway - back to the topic.

Why don't you want to see a jump pass?

Lancane
10-13-2011, 12:14 AM

I'm not sure about Beef's reasons, but my own is that the NFL is so much faster the collegiate level, that the jump pass could easily be intercepted. And Tebow wants to be a pro-style quarterback, the more we allow him to do some of the outlandish passes or plays he did in college, it could literally hinder his progress in that direction.

RyanC
10-13-2011, 02:40 AM
I'm not sure about Beef's reasons, but my own is that the NFL is so much faster the collegiate level, that the jump pass could easily be intercepted. And Tebow wants to be a pro-style quarterback, the more we allow him to do some of the outlandish passes or plays he did in college, it could literally hinder his progress in that direction.

By outlandish do you mean like when an elderly QB in this league dives head first into two defenders while running for it near the goal line in a superbowl?

Lancane
10-13-2011, 03:07 AM
By outlandish do you mean like when an elderly QB in this league dives head first into two defenders while running for it near the goal line in a superbowl?

No, more like when some putz understands that he's going to be sacked and instead of throwing the ball away, he flicks the ball towards a tight end that's covered by three people defenders. Or as he's going down switches the ball to his weak hand and tosses it up grabs. Are those good enough examples?

Sinthor
10-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Interesting question. We barely lost most of the games we did lose. Was that because KO made enough plays thru the air to keep us in games? Maybe. If so, would TTs lack of passing proficiency have ever had us in those games? Then again, KO didn't seem to make the big plays at the end to put us over the top. It almost seems as though we'd have been better off starting KO for 2 and a half quarters, avoid the bonehead mistakes and let TT try and bring it home. But that's not reality.

As much of a spark that Tebow brought, he still basically ran a draw and completed a screen pass. Not hating...just stating the facts. He clearly adds something and is a proven winner, although unorthodox.

I originally believed we have enough talent on this team to win 8-9 games this year. Well...3 of those "wins" escaped us. The remaining schedule isn't that daunting. Von Doom should have a field day w/ Chicago's OLine. KC twice. Oakland and SD are flawed. Miami and Minnesota simply aren't better than us...but we do need to stop AP.

I still think we have enough weapons on the outside, improved stability at RB w/ McGahee and a much improved defense. That, along with a competent, capable QB can get us another 5-6 wins. I believe TT is at least good enough to help us do that.

I love how we're seeing all this "when teams see Tebow on film, they're gonna plan and knock his house down!" types of comments. We heard the same thing last year. The Raiders said they prepped, and the Texans and Chargers certainly did (heck Norv Turned said after the game that they'd practiced for Tebow because he thought he'd be in there at some point, Tebow noted they chose to place a "spy" on him. Didn't stop him from running, but did limit it a bit.). Fine. They do the same for ALL mobile QB's. Last year and in pre-season Tebow made them pay for that with the long throw. People forget that he actually does well with the long pass plays. Has hit those consistently since pre-season of LAST year. So I think this is funny. The same things they say about stopping Vick. With Vick, so far they've managed to limit his passing opportunities and/or skills but he just set a record for QB's in rush yardage this season, where opponents have game planned for him based on a full year of tape! Let's just see. I don't expect TT to be rushing for 100+ yards a game, but the haven't effectively stopped him in the red zone yet, when they KNOW he's coming so I don't expect to see too much change. And if they DO, they'd better have a way to make SURE Decker and Lloyd can't get out on one on one, Royal too probably, or else they'll just give up a bunch of yards and Tebows insane yards per attempt stat will just keep rising from where it already is. I believe that stat is due in large part to teams so far planning against the "running quarterback."

slim
10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Well said, slimgator.

:click:

claymore
10-13-2011, 10:15 AM

Harkov just put the good freak name on a turd.

Ravage!!!
10-13-2011, 10:24 AM
I love how we're seeing all this "when teams see Tebow on film, they're gonna plan and knock his house down!" types of comments. We heard the same thing last year. The Raiders said they prepped, and the Texans and Chargers certainly did (heck Norv Turned said after the game that they'd practiced for Tebow because he thought he'd be in there at some point, Tebow noted they chose to place a "spy" on him. Didn't stop him from running, but did limit it a bit.). Fine. They do the same for ALL mobile QB's. Last year and in pre-season Tebow made them pay for that with the long throw. People forget that he actually does well with the long pass plays. Has hit those consistently since pre-season of LAST year. So I think this is funny. The same things they say about stopping Vick. With Vick, so far they've managed to limit his passing opportunities and/or skills but he just set a record for QB's in rush yardage this season, where opponents have game planned for him based on a full year of tape! Let's just see. I don't expect TT to be rushing for 100+ yards a game, but the haven't effectively stopped him in the red zone yet, when they KNOW he's coming so I don't expect to see too much change. And if they DO, they'd better have a way to make SURE Decker and Lloyd can't get out on one on one, Royal too probably, or else they'll just give up a bunch of yards and Tebows insane yards per attempt stat will just keep rising from where it already is. I believe that stat is due in large part to teams so far planning against the "running quarterback."

This isn't being realistic.

For one, the games last year were against teams that didn't really have anything to gain/lose. But, none had real game tape on Tim yet. Right now, DCs are learning what he's good at reading and what he's not good at reading. They will soon find what kind of coverages he recognizes, and which kind of disguises work on him.

Then there is his running. He's not fast, and certainly not as fast as Vick. So his running will certainly be limited. However, teams aren't going to be worried about his running. THey will give him the run all day long. They will WANT him to run. QBs don't win by running the ball.

You used Vick as your example. Great. Vick is 1-7 of his last 8 starts, and thats while having GOOD Wrs and RBs on the field. QBs don't win by running the ball. Teams take away Vick's pass, force him to run, and he is in trouble. Vick is much... MUCH... faster and more dangerous on the run than Tebow, and has a much stronger arm for the deep ball......yet teams have figured him out.

Which is why its Soooooo important to learn to be the QB from the pocket, and the runner only when needed instead of what he is now.

Northman
10-13-2011, 10:29 AM

For one, the games last year were against teams that didn't really have anything to gain/lose.

While i agreed with everything else you wrote this is a very bad misconception. Teams just dont give up because they have nothing to play for. It isnt like Houston got up on us and decided "oh hey, Tebow is coming in so lets just let the kid come back on us". Furthermore, SD WAS playing for something and still couldnt stop him. Im not making Tebow out to be John Elway here but i keep seeing people throw around this idea that the last 3 games last year meant nothing to those teams which is false. Teams play to win every week no matter if its to improve themselves or play spoiler. Even when guys like Manning or whoever are sitting down late in the season the rest of the team still goes out to win.

Ravage!!!
10-13-2011, 10:32 AM
While i agreed with everything else you wrote this is a very bad misconception. Teams just dont give up because they have nothing to play for. It isnt like Houston got up on us and decided "oh hey, Tebow is coming in so lets just let the kid come back on us". Furthermore, SD WAS playing for something and still couldnt stop him. Im not making Tebow out to be John Elway here but i keep seeing people throw around this idea that the last 3 games last year meant nothing to those teams which is false. Teams play to win every week no matter if its to improve themselves or play spoiler. Even when guys like Manning or whoever are sitting down late in the season the rest of the team still goes out to win.

I agree with this. I almost took that out of my post because I don't buy into it completely. But at the same time, I do think that there could have been complacency with the lack and being at the end of year. That being said, I do concede that its a pretty lame point of criticism and even I would take back.

slim
10-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Players are playing for their jobs. Coaches and front offices throughout the NFL look at all of those game tapes to evaluate FA, etc. The players know that.

To say "they weren't playing for anything" is just silly.

G_Money
10-13-2011, 12:25 PM

For one, the games last year were against teams that didn't really have anything to gain/lose. But, none had real game tape on Tim yet. Right now, DCs are learning what he's good at reading and what he's not good at reading. They will soon find what kind of coverages he recognizes, and which kind of disguises work on him.

Then there is his running. He's not fast, and certainly not as fast as Vick. So his running will certainly be limited. However, teams aren't going to be worried about his running. THey will give him the run all day long. They will WANT him to run. QBs don't win by running the ball.

You used Vick as your example. Great. Vick is 1-7 of his last 8 starts, and thats while having GOOD Wrs and RBs on the field. QBs don't win by running the ball. Teams take away Vick's pass, force him to run, and he is in trouble. Vick is much... MUCH... faster and more dangerous on the run than Tebow, and has a much stronger arm for the deep ball......yet teams have figured him out.

Which is why its Soooooo important to learn to be the QB from the pocket, and the runner only when needed instead of what he is now.

Let me state first that I absolutely agree with this. :salute: That said, the type of runner Tebow is should make him more valuable in certain situations than even Vick.

Vick is a dangerous open field runner, but he's also a smaller one that defenders hit and try to hurt because he's more fragile. 6' and 210 or so.

Tebow is 6'3, 245 pounds. He's slower than Vick, but that just means he won't run around in circles trying to outrun really fast defenders. Vick is a gazelle among the wolves, Tebow's a bull.

It's different. Tebow shouldn't be trying to get 30+ yard gains (even though he has and can). Tebow is pure destruction inside the 10 on QB draws and boots - 180 pound corners don't stand a chance of stopping his forward momentum.

It'll be even more fun when we fake the QB draw, run some pitches, a touch of option, naked boots while the runner with the ball is hammering it up the middle because the D has to account for where Tebow is and can't put all their eggs/defenders in one basket to plug one hole.

A running QB is an advantage, but only if he can also throw the ball. His job is to throw it 30 times and run it 10, so 75 percent of his job performance is with his arm. His feet can help there too - Tim scrambling and then throwing the ball 30 yards downfield to the now-open receiver is good. Buying time is good - if he can hit the open target in the end.

I would not compare Tebow to Vick, though (I know the OP did, not the quoted text, just saying). They're such TOTALLY different runners that I wouldn't comp their strengths and weaknesses any more than I'd talk about how teams stop Barry Sanders or Dave Meggett as a detailed plan to halt Jerome Bettis or Mike Alstott.

Tebow's gonna get a lot of yards per game. They'll be 5 and 7 yard gains, 12 when it works well, but he's gonna move chains and keep drives alive with his legs. Because he doesn't scare teams with his top-end speed and they'll give him 5-7 yards, I expect his running game to work out well for us.

But making sure he can hit guys in stride with passes and read coverages correctly is the vast majority of his job, and I'm far less sure about his skills there. If he CAN do those things, though, it'll be a fun rest of the year.

And we'll finally be able to competently score inside the 10 yard line, so at least there's that.

~G