PDA

View Full Version : Bates II is back

Dean
12-25-2008, 12:21 PM
It appears that our QB coach/play caller/offensive coordinator will be back according to rotoworld.com.

Broncos Offense-TM- Broncos Dec. 24 - 3:38 pm et

Broncos offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates was given a raise and a contract extension after flirting with the University of Tennessee.

Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin presumably wanted Bates to run the Vols' offense and Bates was reportedly "seriously" considering it, but Denver's offer was too good. Bates also probably realized that Tennessee is far from guaranteed success in the SEC. Kiffin's got a strong staff, but has an uphill battle for both recruits and wins against NFL-caliber players.
Source: NFL.com
Related: Raiders

The question is. . .is this a good thing or a bad thing? I am leaning heavily toward it being a very good thing.

Bye the way. Christmas morning is a great time to wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Wishing you and yours all the best.

JONtheBRONCO
12-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Good! I like his play calling, very creative (at times) and the word is Cutler and Bates have a pretty solid relationship.

topscribe
12-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Jeremy Bates is one of the few assistants I have liked. I still like him, I think.

But then, I have been wrong before . . .

-----

Foochacho
12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
I really question him sometimes, but when we do have a running game he does a good job. So hopefully we get a real back so he can open up that playbook. He has definitely earned another year.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-25-2008, 01:14 PM
We have the second best offense in the league YPG. Um, of course keeping him is a good thing.

Superchop 7
12-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Master Bates is always welcome around here.

DenBronx
12-25-2008, 01:33 PM
bates has done a pretty good job. its not his fault that our kicker cant nail anything between 40 and 49 yards. its also not his job to stop the other teams offense and its also not his fault that 7 of our rbs went on IR.

G_Money
12-25-2008, 03:43 PM
This is fine. Once we get a real running game going then we'll see whether he just doesn't understand its importance, but right now he's done a very good job with the passing offense and Cutler, though not necessarily in play variety. He's got time to learn.

It's the Slowik extension I'm dreading.

~G

Foochacho
12-25-2008, 03:47 PM
If slowick stays we will need to get a lynch mob together.

topscribe
12-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Master Bates is always welcome around here.

I once had a foreman (actually a second cousin) by the name of Jack Bates.

We used to call him "Master Bates." :lol:

-----

LordTrychon
12-25-2008, 03:57 PM
I once had a foreman (actually a second cousin) by the name of Jack Bates.

We used to call him "Master Bates." :lol:

-----

I don't get it. :confused:

omac
12-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Hehe, smart attempt by Kiffin. While recruiting a highschool QB, he can say "we have the QB coach and offensive coordinator of Denver's Jay Cutler." Yeah, that would've been something for aspiring QBs to think about.

Bates is good and very aggressive with his play calling, which make it a perfect fit for our QB. When he learns to reign himself in and put the rushing offense to better use, the Broncos offense will become much more consistent on a game to game basis.

DenBronx
12-30-2008, 11:14 PM
well, i really hope he learned enough from the mastermind. his work load just got alot heavier.

broncofaninfla
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
Honestly, I'll be happy to see Bates back as long as we never throw another bubble screen. They were KILLING me in the Sand Diego game!

CrazyHorse
12-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Bowlen should promote Bates to head coach. He fits the description of a young offensive minded coach. This keeps our offense intact and allows the change on our defense.
I really think this is the best possible scenario.

Nick
12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Bowlen should promote Bates to head coach. He fits the description of a young offensive minded coach. This keeps our offense intact and allows the change on our defense.
I really think this is the best possible scenario.

I would not mind that at all.

Bring Elway Back
12-31-2008, 12:04 PM
I would not mind that at all.

Untested coordinators are dangerous. It's a whole different set of skills to be the head coach as compared to being a coordinator. I like going with the proven track record of either Cower or Fassel