View Full Version : Turnovers biggest factor in Broncos' Orton-to-Tebow switch

TXBRONC
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Turnovers biggest factor in Broncos' Orton-to-Tebow switch
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/12/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 10/12/2011 07:19:50 AM MDT

While there are still a long list of arguments to be made about whether Tim Tebow is, or isn't, ready from a football perspective for what's to come, there are certainly some football reasons that Kyle Orton isn't the Broncos' starting quarterback anymore.

The biggest being turnovers.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19090681

Legwold is right. It's not that Tebow won the job it's Orton lost the job due his horrid production.

Northman
10-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Turnovers is one, the lack of being a playmaker at the end of games is another.

BigDaddyBronco
10-12-2011, 09:57 AM
You can live with turnovers, if you make big plays as well. For a guy to have so many interceptions with the number of check downs and throwing it out of bounds sure is telling.

Ravage!!!
10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah.. there are a ton of categories. But it was definitely Orton LOSING the job with his horrendous play. Orton had been ordinary and average in the past. This season, he is flat out BAD.

Where's top when you need him?

TXBRONC
10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Turnovers is one, the lack of being a playmaker at the end of games is another.

I agree not winning was eventually going to catch up with him. But I think he might have started a few more games if had become a turnover machine.

TXBRONC
10-12-2011, 10:03 AM
You can live with turnovers, if you make big plays as well. For a guy to have so many interceptions with the number of check downs and throwing it out of bounds sure is telling.

I think that's only true if you're winning games.

MileHighCrew
10-12-2011, 10:12 AM
you have to win period. He didn't win, didn't perform well, caved under pressure and lost the trust of the HC.

Npba900
10-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Orton went 1-4 as the starter and was turning the ball over. Question I have does Tebow need a winning record over the next 5 games to keep his job? Or does Tebow go to the bench and Brady Quinn gets 5 games to prove himself???

TXBRONC
10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
you have to win period. He didn't win, didn't perform well, caved under pressure and lost the trust of the HC.

No doubt it's about winning first and foremost. However I think Fox would hung in with Orton if wasn't for the fact he was playing so poorly. Eventually losing would get him benched anyway but if he had played better he would have bought himself a little more time.

BroncoStud
10-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Orton went 1-4 as the starter and was turning the ball over. Question I have does Tebow need a winning record over the next 5 games to keep his job? Or does Tebow go to the bench and Brady Quinn gets 5 games to prove himself???

Orton is a 7 year vet. Talk apples and apples for once. Quinn is a free agent and if he takes snaps we give up a better pick to the Browns. I would certainly hope, from a draft standpoint, that we give Tebow the full season and preserve whatever compensation would have gone to the Browns. When you are rebuilding the last thing you want is draft picks going to waste on a bum like Quinn.

OMorange&blue
10-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Orton went 12-21 as a starter.

Traveler
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Orton had 7 int's thru five games. Extend that over the remainder of the season and that would give him close to 23 int's for the year.

Orton lost this job on his own. I will also add he received little help from a defense that can't stop the run or pass. This can be said during his entire time here with the Broncos.

Still, he rarely stepped up in crunch time when the team needed him. For a rebuilding team, this move was bound to happen. Many people, myself included thought the change would be made during the bye week. Made the most sense the way the season has gone thusfar.

Orton had three years in this system to solidify himself as a starting QB in the NFL. Tebow should at least get the remainder of the season to determine if he is our QBOTF.

TXBRONC
10-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Try 12-21 as a starter over 21/4 seasons and Tebow should only get five games? I don't think so. He would only get yanked that quickly if playing like Orton.

arapaho2
10-12-2011, 12:10 PM

no he doesnt...kyle is a 8 year vet...tebow has started three games and comeing off a lockout offseason

he will make mistakes for sure...we gotta expect a int or occasional fumble from tim...it will happen...but he will also make plays to score or extend a drive that orton could never dream of doing

but what im looking for is giving him 11 games as the starter, without a steller defense, with a struggling offense, and see what happens

if tebow looks like he will improve and get better and better as he matures into a starting nfl qb...then we should see it or signs in a near full season...and if we can comfertably say once the team is complete, the maturation process of a rebuiling team is done we firmly believe timmy will lead this team to the top...fine...great!!

if not we move on in the draft

i remember watching elway in his rookie season...he was raw, had no touch, had a tendency to not trust the pocket and take off...he made his mistakes, alot of them...but we seen something in him that hinted of furture greatness
and we knew he was the real deal

im not saying tebow is elway...but lets see what happens as he settles in with the first team offense and develops timing and expirience ...and thats takes more than 5 games

OMorange&blue
10-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Try 12-33 as a starter over 21/4 seasons and Tebow should only get five games? I don't think so. He would only get yanked that quickly if playing like Orton.

I think there is something wrong with your numbers. 2 1/4 seasons would be 16+16+4=36. You have him playing 45.

Lancane
10-12-2011, 12:16 PM
It wasn't simply the turnovers, look at Phillip Rivers...he and Vick are tied with Orton in the interception category. The difference between Rivers and the likes of Orton or Vick is that it's unusual for him and no matter what he still wins. Something the other two often struggle with even without the turnovers.

Orton simply can not get it done, he doesn't lead his teammates by example nor can he lift them up and carry them when they're down - he's dispassionate and has no drive to succeed, that doesn't help your fellow teammates in the huddle that's for sure.

TXBRONC
10-12-2011, 12:28 PM
It wasn't simply the turnovers, look at Phillip Rivers...he and Vick are tied with Orton in the interception category. The difference between Rivers and the likes of Orton or Vick is that it's unusual for him and no matter what he still wins. Something the other two often struggle with even without the turnovers.

Orton simply can not get it done, he doesn't lead his teammates by example nor can he lift them up and carry them when they're down - he's dispassionate and has no drive to succeed, that doesn't help your fellow teammates in the huddle that's for sure.

The same with Brees last year he threw 20 plus picks but he also threw 34 touchdowns and the Saints still made the playoffs.

Traveler
10-12-2011, 12:31 PM
I remember watching elway in his rookie season...he was raw, had no touch, had a tendency to not trust the pocket and take off...he made his mistakes, alot of them...but we seen something in him that hinted of furture greatness and we knew he was the real deal.

I too remember Elway as a rookie. Lining up under the guard at one point. He actually got benched during that year and only returned because of an injury to Steve DeBerg. After the season, he went back to CA and actually contemplated quitting football. If I remember correctly, the papers said his then wife Janet talked him out of it.

I say this only to remind folks to temper their expectation for Tebow. There are certainly going to be growing pains as with Elway.

jhildebrand
10-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Drew Soicher actually asked Tim Tebow if he won the job or did Orton lose it. Tough question. The kid says all the right things.

Video is still up at 9news.com