PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Garcia dismissed from team.

Northman
10-11-2011, 05:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7088804/south-carolina-gamecocks-dismiss-oft-suspended-stephen-garcia

South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia has been dismissed from the No. 15 Gamecocks, a move that a source told ESPN.com's Chris Low resulted from his testing positive for marijuana and alcohol.

MOtorboat
10-11-2011, 05:25 PM
In other words, he got dismissed for being in college.

Northman
10-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Lmao,

Yea, i dont know the whole story with Garcia. I think Spurrier was frustrated with him as a player but i dont know if SG had bigger issues than that.

silkamilkamonico
10-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Lmao,

Yea, i dont know the whole story with Garcia. I think Spurrier was frustrated with him as a player but i dont know if SG had bigger issues than that.

Here is Garcia's rap sheet during his tenure at South Carolina.

- 2 separate suspensions for public intoxication
- another citation for underage drinking
- violation of team rules (drinking) during USC's 2010 bowl week
- An April 2011, was suspended for causing a drunken disturbance and public intoxication at a mandatory SEC meeting designed to encourage good quality life choices.
- finally dismissed for failing a drinking (that was part of his reinstatement) and possible marijuana test.

Garcia is a walking timebomb and probable alcohol. The kid has had chance after chance after chance after chance after chance.

What baffles me is, how does a kid like Garcia who is an average QB at best, get so many chances.

Very poor quality character when it comes to making unselfish choices.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-11-2011, 10:39 PM

- An April 2011, was suspended for causing a drunken disturbance and public intoxication at a mandatory SEC meeting designed to encourage good quality life choices.
- finally dismissed for failing a drinking (that was part of his reinstatement) and possible marijuana test.

Garcia is a walking timebomb and probable alcohol. The kid has had chance after chance after chance after chance after chance.

What baffles me is, how does a kid like Garcia who is an average QB at best, get so many chances.

Granted, I only watched him play once, but I didn't understand what all the hype was about. He was average athletically, had average arm strength, and was inaccurate.

Woopty doo! :laugh:

Skinny
10-12-2011, 06:18 AM

Yet, his dad swears he does'nt have a drinking problem...

Skinny
10-12-2011, 06:33 AM
Granted, I only watched him play once, but I didn't understand what all the hype was about. He was average athletically, had average arm strength, and was inaccurate.

Woopty doo! :laugh:

Gotta respectively disagree here. His arm was above average. There was'nt a throw on the field he could'nt make, and on a rope if he needed to. Garcia could spin it.

silkamilkamonico
10-12-2011, 11:46 AM
I do agree with Skinny. IMHO Garcia just didn't have the quick decision making or the pocket presence to be a good QB. I also thought he was athletic for a QB. The more i watched him the more it just looked like to me he couldn't stay on top of the passing game in terms of making the right LOS reads, going through his reads quickly and making a smart split second decision. It was almost like the pass defense just moved to quick for him.

I tried really hard to cheer for Garcia. I knew he would never be an elite college QB, but he always came across to me as a very tough and resilient kid who could handle Spurrier's criticism.

I think the Gamecocks are just too talented skillwise for a player like him right now though, like they deserve someone at QB who is going to give them a chance to make plays, which IMHO Garcia didn't do alot of the time, especially on a consistent basis.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Gotta respectively disagree here. His arm was above average. There was'nt a throw on the field he could'nt make, and on a rope if he needed to. Garcia could spin it.

Living where you live, you would know much better than I would. I guess I was just expecting to see something that told me he might have NFL talent, considering all of the hype he's gotten. I just didn't see it. I saw a Jeff Garcia type of guy, without the accuracy.

This is what I saw, granted you've seen a lot more than I have.

Arm strength...better than average, but definitely not a cannon.

Accuracy.....poor, at best.

Decision making.....need I even say anything?

Athleticism........good scrambler, but not an athlete that can win with his legs.

Skinny
10-13-2011, 06:32 AM
I do agree with Skinny. IMHO Garcia just didn't have the quick decision making or the pocket presence to be a good QB. I also thought he was athletic for a QB. The more i watched him the more it just looked like to me he couldn't stay on top of the passing game in terms of making the right LOS reads, going through his reads quickly and making a smart split second decision. It was almost like the pass defense just moved to quick for him.

I tried really hard to cheer for Garcia. I knew he would never be an elite college QB, but he always came across to me as a very tough and resilient kid who could handle Spurrier's criticism.

I think the Gamecocks are just too talented skillwise for a player like him right now though, like they deserve someone at QB who is going to give them a chance to make plays, which IMHO Garcia didn't do alot of the time, especially on a consistent basis.

Yeah, Stephen just did'nt put in the work or have the commitment he needed to be elite or just even able to reach his full potential. It's a shame because he was highly touted coming out of high school and almost chose to play for Bob Stoops at Oklahoma. He was rated a 4* recruit and ranked right around the 5th/6th best QB in the country (rivals had him at #3) behind Jimmy Clausen, Ryan Mallett, John Brantley, and Tyrod Taylor.

Living where you live, you would know much better than I would. I guess I was just expecting to see something that told me he might have NFL talent, considering all of the hype he's gotten. I just didn't see it. I saw a Jeff Garcia type of guy, without the accuracy.

This is what I saw, granted you've seen a lot more than I have.

Arm strength...better than average, but definitely not a cannon.

Accuracy.....poor, at best.

Decision making.....need I even say anything?

Athleticism........good scrambler, but not an athlete that can win with his legs.Spot on.

He would fustrate the hell out of you as a fan i know that much. And there were games where he would show you flashes of NFL type talent like against #1 Bama last year where he completed 85% of his passes (17 for 20, 3 TDs 1int) and methodically picked apart a secondary that consisted of Dre Kirkpatrick and Mark Barron, with Marcel Dareus bearing down on him. Then he would come back the next Saturday and play like it was his first collegiate game ever. He was just never able to put it all together for any length of time.

Oh well, all in the past. I wish him the best.